PDA

View Full Version : Fed up moaning - please Hibs sort the tannoy system !

GreenCastle
29-10-2016, 05:02 PM
Numberous threads on here over the seasons..

We have even had the stadium announcer Barrie admit it's not fit for purpose.

Can the club please get a proper tannoy system installed.

Would have loved to have heard the words of the skol cup winning team today but couldn't even hear them introduced let alone a word of the interview.

Yes I'm more interested what's happening with the team than the tannoy but it's been so bad for so long they need to sort it as it's not fit for purpose.

lucky
29-10-2016, 05:21 PM
Agree 100% I was disappointed not to hear a few words from the first cup winning team in my time if being a Hibbie

hfc rd
29-10-2016, 05:23 PM
I agree. It is shockingly bad!

HibbiesandtheBaddies
29-10-2016, 05:26 PM
Seconded.

HibeeSince82
29-10-2016, 05:29 PM
100% agree. Didn't have a clue what was being said at half time

GreenNWhiteArmy
29-10-2016, 05:30 PM
I barely hear a word from it at the best of times in the East but down in row c today and literally could not make out a single word being said.

Seveno
29-10-2016, 05:44 PM
I wrote to the club last season about it and pointed out that it was dangerous. In the event of an emergency, fans would not be able to hear instructions. I did not receive a reply.

hibby6270
29-10-2016, 05:55 PM
One thing I did hear announced today was just before kick off when we were all reminded where we were today. Words to the effect of "the largest capacity football stadium in Edinburgh".

About as subtle as a sledgehammer on butter. Nice one!! 😃😃👍👍

GreenCastle
29-10-2016, 06:12 PM
I wrote to the club last season about it and pointed out that it was dangerous. In the event of an emergency, fans would not be able to hear instructions. I did not receive a reply.

I have written to the club also and nothing.

If you can't here anything I urge fans to sign this thread and hopefully they will take notice ?!!

CMac1988
29-10-2016, 06:20 PM
Does my tata's in.

Amit reads the forums so hopefully he'll bring it up again when given the chance.

exeterhibby
29-10-2016, 06:33 PM

Would have loved to have heard the words of the skol cup winning team today but couldn't even hear them introduced let alone a word of the interview.

Yes I'm more interested what's happening with the team than the tannoy but it's been so bad for so long they need to sort it as it's not fit for purpose.

:top marks

Still Smiling
29-10-2016, 06:41 PM
Surely the ''fans reps on the board" should bring this up at the monthly meeting. I am in the East Stand and it is just a garbled noise......so annoying. Surely we are worthy of a reply from our reps!?

tanfield
29-10-2016, 07:01 PM
It's far too loud in the FF. Having to shout to my mate pre kick off.

I would rather have the bliss of the garbled noise in the East. At least I could hear myself think!

GreenCastle
29-10-2016, 07:03 PM

I would rather have the bliss of the garbled noise in the East. At least I could hear myself think!

You can't hear anything in east - been this way for seasons and not quite sure how the stadium gets away with it.

Sir David Gray
29-10-2016, 07:16 PM
The Skol Cup winning squad were there today? :dunno:

I'm jesting of course but only because I read about it online a few days ago. I had no idea what was being said as they came out at half time and couldn't tell what they were saying either during the interview.

It's awful and I'm in the east stand as well.

Bishop Hibee
29-10-2016, 07:18 PM
Tannoy is dreadful. Fans reps need to bring this up. Get it sorted! Can't be too difficult. Fine at far bigger grounds like Hampden.

hibbysam
29-10-2016, 07:24 PM
Every week, about 10 minutes before kick off, the speaker at the away end of the east turns itself off. Very odd and it happens every single week.

tamig
29-10-2016, 07:42 PM

Have you emailed Leeann?

The Gorf
29-10-2016, 08:26 PM
Anyone remember the "wheeltappers and shunters" show. That's what it sounds like. Couldn't understand a word the Skol Cup team were saying.

hibeerealist
29-10-2016, 08:28 PM
The Skol Cup winning squad were there today? :dunno:

I'm jesting of course but only because I read about it online a few days ago. I had no idea what was being said as they came out at half time and couldn't tell what they were saying either during the interview.

It's awful and I'm in the east stand as well.

Echo that it was awful and I cannot believe anybody in the East heard anything audible today at HT

Famous Fiver
29-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Tannoy was pretty good with SOL at the end of the Hawrts cup tie replay...............

GreenCastle
29-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Have you emailed Leeann?

Yes and nothing back.

Like others -I don't understand why it's not fixed - been an issue for several seasons and ignored and even the PA guy knows it's bad and admitted on here it wasn't right.

familyman
29-10-2016, 09:00 PM
either the speakers are just rubbish or the microphone is ...either way we get distortion far too often ...when you use a microphone you need to talk more slowly ,also as it is amplified you do not need to shout!!!!

squire
29-10-2016, 09:09 PM
Tannoy is a brand name. What you really mean is public address system.

GreenCastle
29-10-2016, 09:14 PM

Exactly - and seems ok when music is played just people speaking and it's a joke.

NRW_Hibbie
29-10-2016, 09:32 PM

Back of the net!

douglashibs
29-10-2016, 09:36 PM
I'm usually in the East but today in West Upper. The, erm, public address system was equally bad there. No idea what was being said at half time. Or who scored the goals.

green day
30-10-2016, 05:58 AM
I'm usually in the East but today in West Upper. The, erm, public address system was equally bad there. No idea what was being said at half time. Or who scored the goals.

Don't know where you sat in West upper but I am in section 11 and it's totally fine - every week I can hear my numbers NOT come up in the half time draw😁

RIP
30-10-2016, 06:12 AM
Fife Hyland and spoke about the PA system at a Working Together meeting. Think that was 2010. He had quotes but the numbers were big - six figures?

When the new East was built was there not a view that the speakers were wrongly sited?

My memory isn't great these days so not certain about these recollections

Phil MaGlass
30-10-2016, 07:13 AM
why not just use a bloody megaphone, its probably going to be about as good.

Callyballybe
30-10-2016, 08:28 AM
Fife Hyland and spoke about the PA system at a Working Together meeting. Think that was 2010. He had quotes but the numbers were big - six figures?

When the new East was built was there not a view that the speakers were wrongly sited?

My memory isn't great these days so not certain about these recollections

Six figures to get it fixed? That sounds extraordinary - although I have no experience of these things so could very well be correct.

I sit in the East also, and sometimes it would genuinely be better if they just switched it off in that stand. Your none the wiser when it is used. For such a nice stadium as well, it is a bit of a let down.

MB62
30-10-2016, 09:24 AM
Don't know where you sat in West upper but I am in section 11 and it's totally fine - every week I can hear my numbers NOT come up in the half time draw😁

We are in the very last section, next to the FFS, in the West Stand Upper North and it's like somebody has arrived from a different planet to make the announcements.
Totally agree with the earlier comment about it being a H&S issue too.

Alex Trager
30-10-2016, 09:29 AM
It's absolutely shocking in the east. Cannot hear a thing being said.

RIP
30-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Six figures to get it fixed? That sounds extraordinary - although I have no experience of these things so could very well be correct.

I sit in the East also, and sometimes it would genuinely be better if they just switched it off in that stand. Your none the wiser when it is used. For such a nice stadium as well, it is a bit of a let down.

To be fair to Fife that was the cost of replacement not repair

Golden Bear
30-10-2016, 02:00 PM
We are in the very last section, next to the FFS, in the West Stand Upper North and it's like somebody has arrived from a different planet to make the announcements.
Totally agree with the earlier comment about it being a H&S issue too.

I agree. I'm in section 13 and the announcer could be speaking in Chinese as far as I would know.

matty_f
30-10-2016, 02:55 PM
West Upper is practically inaudible. No idea how we'd get on if there was an emergency and we needed to rely on it for instructions.

Good to see the cup heroes, haven't the faintest idea what they said.

IanFaeClerrie
30-10-2016, 03:11 PM
100% agree. Didn't have a clue what was being said at half time

Agree completely - EE in the East

Logie Green
30-10-2016, 03:32 PM
Unfortunately the tannoy system works quite well from where I sit in the West Stand. It means that I can hear the 'DJ' slavering his nonsense, shouting out players names (when the benefit of having a microphone is that your voice is amplified), playing music at ear-splitting levels pre match so it's hard to have a conversation and lastly but most irritatingly of all playing music after a goal is scored. Apart from that he adds quite a lot to the match day experience at ER.

leither17
30-10-2016, 04:04 PM
What music gets played after a goal?

Callyballybe
30-10-2016, 04:09 PM
To be fair to Fife that was the cost of replacement not repair

Yes, I thought that sounded a bit much. My point of the tannoy being s**t in the East still stands though.

NAE NOOKIE
30-10-2016, 04:23 PM
Its nic that peop have noth worse to moa ab thannnnnn th pub c addressss sy tem ........ in the amous ous ous ous Fiv stand th soun is pr tty goo I don know ow ow ow wh t the pr blem em em em is.

:greengrin

Kavinho
30-10-2016, 05:12 PM

Cannae please all of the people all of the time eh?!

gazathehibby
30-10-2016, 06:21 PM
I don't even try to listen to it anymore it's that bad

pollution
30-10-2016, 06:36 PM
What music gets played after a goal?I don't recognise the music but it is deafening.

Cut the music and let's hear the crowd roar. No wonder Lennon thinks the crowd is quiet. We have been cowed into robotic obedience for years.

I cannot even speak to my neighbour in the West stand without shouting for the past decade or so.

Golden Bear
30-10-2016, 06:46 PM
Guaranteed nothing will happen and we'll be repeating the same and justified moans in about a months time.

HibsAnnouncer
30-10-2016, 11:57 PM
Unfortunately the tannoy system works quite well from where I sit in the West Stand. It means that I can hear the 'DJ' slavering his nonsense, shouting out players names (when the benefit of having a microphone is that your voice is amplified), playing music at ear-splitting levels pre match so it's hard to have a conversation and lastly but most irritatingly of all playing music after a goal is scored. Apart from that he adds quite a lot to the match day experience at ER.

Hi mate,

Thanks for the feedback on this one. I registered on here to pick up on feedback so that we could engage with fans and have come on several times to respond to comments. I personally would rather do all I can to
try get an even balance and feedback on why Audio is poor.

The music that is played out is played from the south stand is not controlled directly by myself as I am pitch side as you will notice during all periods of the game. It is is however, controlled under direction of myself and when volumes are low or too high I will communicate this and ask for it to be amended if and where possible.

I will take all the comments on and pass onto the club once again. From where I stand pitch side at the dugout I can hear things crystal clear and from the majority of the feedback we have gauged from the surrounding areas within the stand it seems to be the same. When the attendance is announced which is again from myself it is applauded by all areas of the stadium, when the man of he match is announced it is applauded by all areas of the stands so I can only assume it's clear at these stages. The main issue we seem to be having is with music however I am aware that the back end of the east seems very poor.

I'm here to help bridge any gap on match days and to take on board and support you guys by feeding back once again.

I can assure you the club aren't ignoring the issues and we are all doing the very best we can with the current system so just to reassure you that he feedback isn't falling on deaf ears (pardon the pun) but as I am sure you will all agree there are more pressing mattters at present like ensuring that we are back where we belong.

I want to do all I can to take on any feedback I can fix for you guys and will continue to keep an eye out for things. Please keep the feedback coming at the end of the day it's your match day and I believe your input is crucial.

GGTTH

brianmc
31-10-2016, 06:45 AM
What music gets played after a goal?

Haha, good question. I must admit I'd no idea this was going on! My seat is in the back row of the East at the half way line and I've NEVER heard any music after a goal is scored - which I'm pleased about because that's the kind of **** patter you expect from wee diddy teams, not Hibernian!

Oscar T Grouch
31-10-2016, 07:01 AM
Hi mate,

Thanks for the feedback on this one. I registered on here to pick up on feedback so that we could engage with fans and have come on several times to respond to comments. I personally would rather do all I can to

The music that is played out is played from the south stand is not controlled directly by myself as I am pitch side as you will notice during all periods of the game. It is is however, controlled under direction of myself and when volumes are low or too high I will communicate this and ask for it to be amended if and where possible.

I will take all the comments on and pass onto the club once again. From where I stand pitch side at the dugout I can hear things crystal clear and from the majority of the feedback we have gauged from the surrounding areas within the stand it seems to be the same. When the attendance is announced which is again from myself it is applauded by all areas of the stadium, when the man of he match is announced it is applauded by all areas of the stands so I can only assume it's clear at these stages. The main issue we seem to be having is with music however I am aware that the back end of the east seems very poor.

I'm here to help bridge any gap on match days and to take on board and support you guys by feeding back once again.

I can assure you the club aren't ignoring the issues and we are all doing the very best we can with the current system so just to reassure you that he feedback isn't falling on deaf ears (pardon the pun) but as I am sure you will all agree there are more pressing mattters at present like ensuring that we are back where we belong.

I want to do all I can to take on any feedback I can fix for you guys and will continue to keep an eye out for things. Please keep the feedback coming at the end of the day it's your match day and I believe your input is crucial.

GGTTH

When the attendance is read out we know that the attendance is read out but all around me the question arises is "so what's the attendance?" We then try and piece together the audible bits we picked up and we come up with a figure, which when checked later is usually wrong.
When man of the match is read out, it's read at a lower volume due to the game being played, so more people can hear it but like the attendance people will clap anyway because we know what the announcement is for, we don't necessarily hear it (we can usually guess who motm is too.
The PA is not fit for purpose. Half time on Saturday some of my heroes were on the pitch, that was all inaudible to me in the East, all of it, I heard not one word.
Anyway the club know there's an issue, I will assume that the money will be sent once an emergency situation highlights the uselessness of the PA, hopefully without detriment to someone's health or well bring. It is without doubt the worst PA in Scotland, I've been to really horrible stadiums across this country and haven't come across a worst PA than we have at ER.
There is my feedback, do with it, what you like.

GreenCastle
31-10-2016, 07:36 AM
Hi mate,

GGTTH

Hi - appreciate you coming on here to feedback. I'm not personally having a go at you but if you read nearly every comment on here - it's simple...

What is being said before the game, during half time interviews or 30 second challenges, substitutes, attendances, sponsors man of the match (not even sure who sponsored game as couldn't hear) is near impossible to hear.

The current set up isn't working and others have pointed out Saturday for me was the most furstrating as I wanted to hear what they skol cup winners had to say but couldn't even here them introduced let anyone the names from the East Stand - about 10 rows from the back.

Like others I have been to away games and why is it that every other stadium including PBS have a more clear system than ours. Our stadium and fans deserve better - just like the over priced and poor quality food. The action on the pitch is a priority but this and catering have been neglected too long.

Golden Bear
31-10-2016, 08:15 AM
Hi mate,

GGTTH

Thanks for taking the time to explain the situation as you see it. Fans are reporting difficulties from many different areas of the stadium and there seems to be variances from areas which are relatively close together eg the sound system in Section 11 in the West Upper appears to be satisfactory but its almost inaudible in Section 13.

Hopefully something can be done to resolve the problems and fairly quickly.

HibsAnnouncer
31-10-2016, 08:49 AM
Thanks for taking the time to explain the situation as you see it. Fans are reporting difficulties from many different areas of the stadium and there seems to be variances from areas which are relatively close together eg the sound system in Section 11 in the West Upper appears to be satisfactory but its almost inaudible in Section 13.

Hopefully something can be done to resolve the problems and fairly quickly.

I appreciate the feedback guys. Thank you

exeterhibby
31-10-2016, 09:43 AM

Inaudible in the south end of the West Upper except in the ladies toilet. :wink:

Only manage to decipher the attendance and man of the match as it is generally a lower volume and is only one sentence so between all of us in an area we can fill in anything missed and know what has been said . Once we have paragraphs of spiel it is impossible to fill in the missed bits so we just turn off from trying to follow what is being said. I would have liked to have followed what the Skol Cup winners said but the only bit I heard was when they read out the numbers for the happy hibees draw.....slow and one sentence.

Perhaps again try having a song / piece of music the team come out to......and stick with it for at least a season or two. Doesn't matter what you choose ( pop, classical, theme etc etc), eventually the crowd will recognize the first bars and start to raise the volume level. It would take time but works well at many grounds all over the World so why not ER? Don't ask the fans what they want as you will get 100's of different songs. Just choose something and go with it. I'm quite sure if Sunderland afc fans had been asked, the last piece of music mentioned would have been a classical piece by Prokofiev but it works well for them now.

It may help if the volume came down a little and the dialogue was delivered a little slower.

GGTTH

Andy74
31-10-2016, 10:18 AM
Hi mate,

GGTTH

It is a problem and applause from all areas shouldn't be taken as an indication that we can all hear - most of the time there's a bit of guesswork or piecing together what's been said.

The shorter announcements are also slightly more easy to get the drift, once the sentence goes on more than a few words the echo and the words merge together and we can't make out anything.

Cabbage East
31-10-2016, 10:28 AM
Hi mate,

GGTTH

Please, please, stop playing music after a goal. Please.

nellio
31-10-2016, 10:43 AM
Cant hear a thing In the east. The PA system just becomes some background noise.

Keith_M
31-10-2016, 10:49 AM

Actually, that's where I'm at.

The Tannoy in the east stand is inaudible but that's much less annoying than being deafened pre-match and at half-time by the ridiculously loud noise in the FF.

I think they should try to address both issues, not just one.

cabbageandribs1875
31-10-2016, 11:04 AM
either the speakers are just rubbish or the microphone is ...either way we get distortion far too often ...when you use a microphone you need to talk more slowly ,also as it is amplified you do not need to shout!!!!

it's even worse when the sound goes up :agree:

and right up till the player kicks the ball to start the 2nd half....if the club want more atmosphere from the crowd then turn that damn noise down so the fans might be heard :agree:

Albanian Hibs
31-10-2016, 11:13 AM
I am in row K in the East and cannot hear a thing. I didnt even know that music gets played when we score??

HibbiesandtheBaddies
31-10-2016, 11:36 AM
let's get Bluetooth headsets, like one o they silent discos!

When the hun, hertz or smellies come the announcer can tell jokes but they'll no know what we're laughing at and get paranoid. Genius!

WhileTheChief..
31-10-2016, 11:53 AM
No music right before kick off in both halves would allow fans to sing. And definitely stop the music after goals scored. It's the best time for fans creating noise but it gets drowned out by some pop trash!

I'd also get rid of Glory Glory pre kick off but I know I'd be strung up for that :greengrin

GreenCastle
31-10-2016, 02:47 PM

You mentioned previously the system isn't right for the stadium - is this still the case?

What is the cost to improve it?

Have you ever sat in one of the stands on match day and heard the announcements?

Really hope something can be done as it seems no one at the club is taking responsibility for it.

hibee
31-10-2016, 04:08 PM
The volume of the music in the FF upper is so high that you can't hold a conversation with your mates, it really is ridiculous that Hibs do nothing about this, it can't be that difficult to test this surely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ricky Bobby
31-10-2016, 04:30 PM
Down at Wembley this weekend, and the speaker system is night and day better than ER which you might expect. But to me it looked as though it was basically speakers you would see at a gig, sitting at the side of the park pointing at the stands. Surely a system like that is not outwith our budget.

SRHibs
31-10-2016, 04:52 PM
GGTTH

You were doing well up until this part. I can't imagine Neil Lennon is in charge of ensuring the tannoy system sounds good, so why not have him focus on getting us back in the SPL, and those who are in charge of the sound can have a look at making the announcements at least semi-audible.

Could this not potentially be a huge health and safety issue too? If there is an emergency and direction is being given, the vast majority will have no idea what is being said.

Kavinho
31-10-2016, 05:12 PM
All i want to know is. . Did the match commander really send away some of his troops to ibrox after 70 mins?!!

bod
31-10-2016, 05:37 PM
Hi mate,

GGTTH

I'm at the back of section 14 & couldn't make out you introducing the skol cup team or anything they said.
maybe if the some of the speakers pointed up the way that might help

Danderhall Hibs
31-10-2016, 05:59 PM
You were doing well up until this part. I can't imagine Neil Lennon is in charge of ensuring the tannoy system sounds good, so why not have him focus on getting us back in the SPL, and those who are in charge of the sound can have a look at making the announcements at least semi-audible.

Could this not potentially be a huge health and safety issue too? If there is an emergency and direction is being given, the vast majority will have no idea what is being said.

:agree: mind the same was said when the club shop didn't stick up after the final? Blamed it on the investigation into the pitch invasion.

Since90+2
31-10-2016, 06:06 PM
To be fair to the announcer it's probably outside his remit to change the tannoy system at Easter Road. That's probably more a facilities or stadium manager responsibility but atleast he has came on to listen to the feedback.

GreenCastle
31-10-2016, 06:13 PM
To be fair to the announcer it's probably outside his remit to change the tannoy system at Easter Road. That's probably more a facilities or stadium manager responsibility but atleast he has came on to listen to the feedback.

Yes but his job is to announce and no one can hear anything or what they hear is far to loud.

He should be telling those at ER that it's not fit for purpose and I would hope that the fans boards reps and LD would just take a look at this thread and see how many unhappy customers there are because a basic part of the matchday has been neglected for several seasons. This isn't just a one off complaint !

Since90+2
31-10-2016, 06:30 PM
Yes but his job is to announce and no one can hear anything or what they hear is far to loud.

He should be telling those at ER that it's not fit for purpose and I would hope that the fans boards reps and LD would just take a look at this thread and see how many unhappy customers there are because a basic part of the matchday has been neglected for several seasons. This isn't just a one off complaint !

Thats what I'm saying atleast he has come on and listened to the feedback which he will undoubtedly pass on to whoever has responsibility for the tannoy system. Whether anything gets done or not is a different matter.

O'Rourke3
31-10-2016, 06:31 PM
HibsAnnouncer. There will invariably be sweet spots in the set up. From your position you may be in one but have the bonus of knowing what you are saying or being close to the source. The problenms seem to be the lack of sweet spots....

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Wee Effen Bee
31-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Thats what I'm saying atleast he has come on and listened to the feedback which he will undoubtedly pass on to whoever has responsibility for the tannoy system. Whether anything gets done or not is a different matter.

Agree:agree:. Also, if it's a clear choice - pour every penny possible into the coaching/playing staff or bring in a super duper PA system (do you have a vacuum or a Hoover:wink:) I will go with the crappy sound system for another year or two:greengrin

KingFranck
31-10-2016, 08:01 PM
Agree I sit 3 rows from the back of the East and can't hear a damn thing t

PatHead
31-10-2016, 08:01 PM
Was at a meeting at the stadium tonight where it was discussed. The system is being looked at as it is pretty rubbish all over the ground. Too loud in parts and unclear everywhere else.

As mentioned earlier it would cost a six figure sum to replace but they are looking at an upgrade if possible.

I am in the West Upper and can't make out a word.

In summary, the club are aware and are trying to do something about it at a cost less than the cost of a decent player.

GMD
31-10-2016, 08:04 PM
The volume in the FF is way too high pre match and at ht. Fair enough when the players are in the tunnel you turn up the volume but at 2.45 or ht it is impossible to have a conversation with the person next to you! This is simply not good enough.

Hiber-nation
31-10-2016, 08:20 PM

:agree:

And I know this has been said a million times on here but no music just before kick off as it kills the atmosphere when the game kicks off. And keep Glory Glory for huge games only. It's common sense.

I'm at the back of the East. As others have said, we can just about hear the MOM and attendance because you select a quiet moment to do so. I couldn't hear a single players name on Saturday in the HT announcements which is completely unacceptable for a top class stadium like ER.

StevieCowan
31-10-2016, 08:35 PM
I'd go nuts if Hibs decide to spend money on a new tannoy system. For the sake of losing out on a few messages who cares?

If it's a 6 figure sum then it must be kicked into the long grass.

For the H&S nuts there's a big bloody noise that everyone knows about and if you hear it get out the stadium 😂

Am I really reading about folk complaining at not knowing our players names, what the attendance is and who the sponsor wants to meet post match (motm).

Can we change the title to "sick of fans moaning about the tannoy system"

Sir David Gray
31-10-2016, 08:45 PM
Hi mate,

GGTTH

When the man of the match announcement is made it's only a couple of words that's read out and a bit of guesswork usually results in me being able to pick up the necessary information.

As others have said whenever the information runs into anything more than a single sentence, it's almost impossible to figure out what's being said. That interview on Saturday with the League Cup winning side was a perfect example and it was a total waste of time from where I was sitting.

The PA system is awful in the east stand.

exeterhibby
31-10-2016, 09:24 PM
Even though I complained about the tannoy I can see the points made by a few that if it is a choice between having a state of the art system fitted at a six figure sum or the money going towards NL and the team to gain promotion then I would choose the latter.

If the club haven't got the money then just stop any announcements as there are very few hot spots where they can be heard clearly. The team , motm and attendance could be flashed up on the message board in the South Stand. Most people are on their mobile phones to look at the team selection anyway. Music could still be played if wished as long as it was turned down. When we have the money / back in the Premier then a new system could be installed.

lucky
31-10-2016, 09:40 PM
So if we get promoted then we can have a safe and working PA system?

basehibby
31-10-2016, 10:14 PM

I think Tanfield's comment demonstrates the real problem here - it's to do with the design of the stands and general nature of football stadia along with just plain physics.

If you have the speakers as they are at the top front lip of the stand roof then you get a more or less evenly distributed mushy echoey noise wherever you are in the East.

But where else could you put them?

Put em up/hang them down on poles at the front? But that would surely create a visual obstruction to some of the fans somewhere in the stand - and you've got to admit that it would be a damn shame to spoil the perfect view of the whole pitch that every single spectator currently has.

Or how about installing them at the back emanating outwards - well the obvious problem here is that the folk at the back would get deafened while those at the front would not be able to hear a damn thing.

There's not that many other options and I am of the opinion that this thorny issue has probably already been considered at length. But at the end of it all you will NEVER get a perfect sound for everyone in a football stadium short of getting a set of earphones installed under every seat for your personal delectation.

The cheaper and more sensible option is surely just to get elocution lessons for the announcer. He doesn't do a bad job at all the current guy - plenty of enthusiasm and energy coming through, but there is a definite skill to communicating through a PA system such as that at ER. Probably just slowing down and enunciating a wee bit clearer would make a difference. But good luck trying that when interviewing former players on the pitch - for instance it's a shame Budgie couldn't make it along cos I've never heard a combo of Swahili and Mandarin before - but Budgie through the ER PA would have made a pretty good attempt at it.

Sir David Gray
31-10-2016, 10:31 PM
Even though I complained about the tannoy I can see the points made by a few that if it is a choice between having a state of the art system fitted at a six figure sum or the money going towards NL and the team to gain promotion then I would choose the latter.

If the club haven't got the money then just stop any announcements as there are very few hot spots where they can be heard clearly. The team , motm and attendance could be flashed up on the message board in the South Stand. Most people are on their mobile phones to look at the team selection anyway. Music could still be played if wished as long as it was turned down. When we have the money / back in the Premier then a new system could be installed.

What happens in the event of an emergency and the stadium needs to be evacuated?

Important safety announcements would be made over the PA system and many people wouldn't be able to make out what was being said.

KWJ
31-10-2016, 10:48 PM
Gotta agree. The Skol cup guys were a huge reason for me pushing the boat out to go to the game on Saturday and I couldn't hear a word from them in the East. Really disappointing and would be great to see it sorted pronto.

Dublin07
01-11-2016, 08:49 AM
Gotta agree. The Skol cup guys were a huge reason for me pushing the boat out to go to the game on Saturday and I couldn't hear a word from them in the East. Really disappointing and would be great to see it sorted pronto.

I was in the east and could heard Alex Miller perfectly. He said ehhhhhhhh mumble mumble mumble skip cup mumble mumble mumble. I think that was it anyway.

exeterhibby
01-11-2016, 08:54 AM
What happens in the event of an emergency and the stadium needs to be evacuated?

Important safety announcements would be made over the PA system and many people wouldn't be able to make out what was being said.

I agree and if you read my previous post you will find I am very much for improving the system. I have emailed the club several times on the issue especially after Saturday where I like many others were desperately trying to hear what the Skol Cup side were saying at halftime.

However the last post was aimed at the other side of the argument for this season especially where some fans would rather any spare cash was spent on the team to ensure promotion......a valid point.

With regard to safety, most fans have heard the police announcement before the game so recognize the warning noise they play in an emergency. The tannoy could again be used in an emergency as some instruction is better than none and word of mouth would help to direct fans. ( afterall that would be no difference to the instructions we would receive at present)

When I said no announcements I meant the announcer on the mike trying to keep us entertained .........or not . Just slowing the speech down and enunciating would help. The first ex player who drew the happy hibee draw announced his number and was as clear as a bell ( slow delivery) , unfortunately I didn't know who it was as that bit was garbled!

However overall I feel a modern ground deserves a good sound system and money should be spent. Sometimes it is about the matchday experience that also helps to keep fans coming back.

Funnily enough on the Birmingham City, Small Heath Alliance forum they are complaining about the.......announcer ....especially liking the sound of his own voice / music as the team come out etc where the fans just want to sing " Keep Right On...." Unfortunately for them they can hear what is being said :cb

GGTTH

MB62
01-11-2016, 09:00 AM
I was in the east and could heard Alex Miller perfectly. He said ehhhhhhhh mumble mumble mumble skip cup mumble mumble mumble. I think that was it anyway.

That was him just giving his normal half time team talk.

mutley
01-11-2016, 12:19 PM
I think one problem may be that the PA system was probably tested when the stadium was empty, and in that case, it may have sounded loud and clear, however, when you add in the crowd noise (anyone with a knowledge of physics will get the way that sounds waves collide and distort, absorbed by objects etc).

What is more annoying is that we go to other gounds and everything seem fine with thier PA systems! Is it a case of just change to a better quality of speaker rather than changing the whole system?

To me the sound system is no big deal, however on Saturday I would have liked to have heard what the Skol Cup team were saying, as I didn't get a word of it (Section 41, East stand)

GreenCastle
01-11-2016, 01:36 PM
Was at a meeting at the stadium tonight where it was discussed. The system is being looked at as it is pretty rubbish all over the ground. Too loud in parts and unclear everywhere else.

As mentioned earlier it would cost a six figure sum to replace but they are looking at an upgrade if possible.

In summary, the club are aware and are trying to do something about it at a cost less than the cost of a decent player.

What meeting was it ? Who said it's been looked at ?

It's been an issue not just this season but previous seasons.

I'm amazed it's going to cost a 6 figure sum to sort ?! Surely someone on here has links to sound equipment and could help the club out ?

bod
01-11-2016, 02:29 PM

not having a dig at you but was it mentioned at the meeting that hibs could say that they're aware of problems & are looking into fixing them or are they happy to keep the fans in the dark regarding it

SRHibs
01-11-2016, 02:32 PM

To be fair, for those of us who sit in the East, if the place needs to be evacuated we are all royally ****ed, regardless of whether we hear the announcement or not.:wink:

HappyAsHellas
01-11-2016, 02:57 PM
I was in hospitality on Saturday and you wouldn't have heard what Murdo was saying as at that point his mike had not been switched on. I had to strain to hear what they were saying and I was in the same room as them. I'd have been astounded if anyone in the ground could hear it.

Last Minute
01-11-2016, 04:12 PM
It's terrible. Can't understand why other clubs with very poor stands and far less money than Hibs have far better tannoy systems. Plus they play feel good music . Not like the garbage we play week in week out. I would hate for their to be a emergency at our ground as you would not understand I thing that was said. Profit from DVD's could pay for it. No use having a state of the art stadium and a poor sound system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

high bee
01-11-2016, 04:55 PM
I've always felt the volume is playing a big part in the issues. No matter where I've sat in the ground it's always been really loud to the point the speakers can't handle it and I think the volume creates an echo which makes it worse.

c31
01-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Spoke to someone who did this sort of thing last year, a few big railway station that were notorious for having poor quality announcements are now sorted, check Waverley & Glasgow central crystal clear. It wasn't as pricey as 6 figures and it would be similar designs. If the club are really trying to get a fix the they will all ready know who to talk to.

PatHead
01-11-2016, 08:02 PM
What meeting was it ? Who said it's been looked at ?

It's been an issue not just this season but previous seasons.

I'm amazed it's going to cost a 6 figure sum to sort ?! Surely someone on here has links to sound equipment and could help the club out ?

If you know anyone I am sure they will be delighted to hear from you or anyone else.

PatHead
01-11-2016, 08:05 PM
not having a dig at you but was it mentioned at the meeting that hibs could say that they're aware of problems & are looking into fixing them or are they happy to keep the fans in the dark regarding it

They are looking into it

PatHead
01-11-2016, 08:08 PM
Spoke to someone who did this sort of thing last year, a few big railway station that were notorious for having poor quality announcements are now sorted, check Waverley & Glasgow central crystal clear. It wasn't as pricey as 6 figures and it would be similar designs. If the club are really trying to get a fix the they will all ready know who to talk to.

Please pass their details on

GreenCastle
01-11-2016, 11:03 PM

Sounds positive - maybe put them in touch with Hibs ?

cabbageandribs1875
13-11-2016, 04:53 PM
credit where it's due, i can only speak for the East Stand but that was much better yesterday with the music volume turned down a few notches, especially before 1st and 2nd half kick offs :agree: still wasn't terribly clear when he was talking though(imo) but it's a start

Sir David Gray
13-11-2016, 04:55 PM
I didn't notice any difference yesterday and I'm also in the east stand.

exeterhibby
13-11-2016, 05:40 PM
Aye, slightly better yesterday with the music turned down :thumbsup:. At times the speech was slightly clearer when he spoke slower.......however his excitement tended to take over at times and he started to gabble, when I again lost any sense of what was being said. :I'm waiti

Its a start.........but am more concerned with what was going on during the game .

GGTTH

Onceinawhile
13-11-2016, 05:42 PM
Works fine in the ff lower.

O'Rourke3
13-11-2016, 06:22 PM
Half time draw unintellible from West Upper. Nip to bogs and the diction is clear as a bell....