PDA

View Full Version : Trouble ahead?

Ozyhibby
27-10-2016, 06:57 PM
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/27/sports/football/tv-viewership-falls-in-nfl-and-epl-a-blip-or-something-worse.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0&referer=https://t.co/EhLYlxL8w3

There could be trouble ahead for English footy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
27-10-2016, 07:03 PM
live games reached saturation point a few years ago as far as i'm concerned, i think i've watched less than a dozen EPL games in about 4 years, i can't even remember watching a full 90 mins of an EPL game

Dashing Bob S
27-10-2016, 07:21 PM
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/27/sports/football/tv-viewership-falls-in-nfl-and-epl-a-blip-or-something-worse.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0&referer=https://t.co/EhLYlxL8w3

We are moving into an uncertain new age. Capitalism in the west is clapped out, low to zero economic growth, consumers increasingly laden with debt, unable to afford expensive sports packages. Once it starts to contract, it'll happen quite drastically. Won't effect the quality of football at all, you'll just see better, younger players spread across more clubs.

Kato
27-10-2016, 07:30 PM

Hope it crashes like a crashy thing whilst making a crash noise. For the good of the sport. A bit rationalisation would help the english clubs too.

Real Emerald
27-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Too many games on TV and too many channels involved. I pay a fortune for Sky but now miss half the games. BT sport coming in has really spoiled it for loads of folk. People who had apathy before are now being asked to fork out for even more dirge but if you don't your Sky package won't cover it all.

When you see the ridiculous money being paid out in England on players and agents wages, it's an absolute disgrace what us TV punters and football fans who go to games are having to pay.

I hope their cash cow comes crashing down, it won't affect Hibs, well not in a negative way. We see none of the money anyway 😡

hibs0666
27-10-2016, 08:17 PM
Too many games on TV and too many channels involved. I pay a fortune for Sky but now miss half the games. BT sport coming in has really spoiled it for loads of folk. People who had apathy before are now being asked to fork out for even more dirge but if you don't your Sky package won't cover it all.

When you see the ridiculous money being paid out in England on players and agents wages, it's an absolute disgrace what us TV punters and football fans who go to games are having to pay.

I hope their cash cow comes crashing down, it won't affect Hibs, well not in a negative way. We see none of the money anyway 😡

Or get a streaming media box and save yourself a small fortune.

Wee Effen Bee
27-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Hope it crashes like a crashy thing whilst making a crash noise. For the good of the sport. A bit rationalisation would help the english clubs too.
Totally agree with the crash analogies. They would then be in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun. Apologies to Blackadder.:greengrin

superfurryhibby
27-10-2016, 08:34 PM

To be fair it's not compulsory to fork out for any of it. All down to consumer choice n' that.

Sooner it all goes tits up the better, hopefully sooner rather than later.

ancient hibee
27-10-2016, 09:09 PM

Let's nothing happens before the Cummings £10million auction

NAE NOOKIE
27-10-2016, 09:55 PM
I can see the day coming very soon, perhaps when the current EPL deal ends, when the big clubs who have a worldwide fanbase (sic) will refuse to be part of league TV packages and go their own way ..... why should Man Utd accept part of a TV deal when they could almost certainly have one all to themselves that they could sell all around the world for more money than they make from the SKY / BT deal. Many fans and especially those from abroad who for some reason call themselves 'Man Utd Fans' are only interested in their own team, if they cant see that team as part of a league package, but can as a club TV channel subscriber the SKY subscription will be in the bin faster than a glory hunter can say Utd till I die.

If that happens and the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal go the same way there's no chance the TV people will offer anything like the same money for what is left of the league if they cant cover games from Old Trafford, Anfield or the Emirates.

UEFA are going to get nervous as well, if the European giants go the same way the Champions league gravy train will hit the buffers ...... they must already be looking at the BT deal for their competitions, nobody is watching which is why recently BT have been offering free games .... and what's worse is that the decline in TV viewers isn't exactly being offset by an upturn in attendances in the stadiums.

Just watch the Europa league highlights on ITV every other week, most of the stadiums have swathes of empty seats and there's a simple reason for it ... when the Europa league group stages come around the groups are seeded and at least 2 teams know they are just going to be cannon fodder for the bigger clubs .... just like the Champions league its the usual teams who qualify and eventually a Club brugge fan for example is going to lose patience seeing the same old outcome every season.

TV and UEFA's fixing the format of competitions to suit them is killing the drama and novelty of European football and the fans are beginning to tune out both in front of the telly and in the stadiums.

None of that is particularly good news for Scottish football, because if folk aint willing to pay to see the EPL they sure as hell aint gonna' pay to watch the Scottish leagues ...... the good news is that our TV deal is so rubbish anyway it wont be near as bad a body blow as losing a large chunk of TV money will be to some big English clubs like West Ham or Everton.

The Captain....
27-10-2016, 10:15 PM
A lot to agree with in the previous posts, saturation point has been reached imo some time ago..the quality of the EPL is certainly on the wane also. It's maybe more competitive than its been previously but there is no stand out team who you would say will win a few titles and go far in The Champions League. Some of the big games this season have been coma inducing..utterly boring with no individual skill and both teams just cancelling each other out.

I also can't remember the last time I watched a Champions League game all the way thru', as a competition it bores me to tears. I'm not sure if BT taking over the coverage had anything to do with it as I think the format of all the Euro competitions need remodelled. Unfortunately it will only be done in a way that benefits the top half a dozen clubs on the continent, in much The same shortsighted way the Scottish game has been rigged to favour Celtic and the zombies.

Out with watching Hibs these days I get very little enjoyment from watching live football..I never thought I'd say that as I used to watch virtually every live game on tv..regardless of who was playing. Maybe the novelty has worn off for my generation who grew up maybe seeing half a dozen live games a season in the 1970s.

Got an android box this year so I'll no doubt be adding to the list of people cancelling Sky/BT sport packages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
27-10-2016, 11:07 PM
Think I'll look into getting one of these kodi boxes when I get back my hols. I'd happily cancel my sky TV if I could get one that worked and was easy to use.

Nicho87
27-10-2016, 11:22 PM
Over hyped english league. Hope they crash and burn. Sky has a lot to answer to. Put hibs, aberdeen or motherwell in that premiership and with the same money as some of the guff in that league we are just as more a club with history etc, to many people think celtic should be carted off to england just cause they have a bigger fan base.

IWasThere2016
28-10-2016, 12:05 AM
Another issue is the (very) short span of attention people have now.

Most under 50 - and I include myself - can't tear themselves away from their mobiles, social media etc to focus on the 90mins for an EPL (or other league) game .. nevermind the 3 hours or so for American Football.

Gatecrasher
28-10-2016, 11:23 AM
a comment from the linked article can easily be translated for our football as well

Many things have changed as we move into the future, but one thing has not--the number of hours in the day, which is still 24. So the more we have other things introduced into our lives (e.g., longer work hours, longer commutes, social media, etc.) the harder we must work to split our time among them. I recall back in high school math class learning about something fascinating, "the theory of limits." Nothing can increase forever; eventually it must level off.

Hey, speaking of high school, this brings up another problem. When I was in high school in the 60s there was an NFL game on at noon CST on Sunday and another at 3:00. That was it--six hours a week. Now, the games are three and a half hours, and there is one Thursday, three Sunday, and one Monday--17 1/2 hours a week. Much, much more to watch, much less time to do it in, this is really easy to understand.

Haymaker
28-10-2016, 02:02 PM
a comment from the linked article can easily be translated for our football as well

:agree: