PDA

View Full Version : NHC Gary Caldwell

Hermit Crab
25-10-2016, 04:35 PM
Sacked by Wigan. 23rd place in the league.

SJNB Hibby
25-10-2016, 04:52 PM
Sacked by Wigan. 23rd place in the league.

Not a great couple of months for hibees players and managers

SJNB Hibby
25-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Not a great couple of months for hibees players and managers

Ex Hibbys

Golden Bear
25-10-2016, 05:01 PM
Always liked Gary Caldwell. Gave his best in the Hibs jersey and was another player who got a panning for wanting to maximise his earnings, which for football players, is a very short career.

GreenNWhiteArmy
25-10-2016, 05:18 PM
Got to feel sorry for Caldwell. Had Wigan performing great last season then makes the step up and struggle for the first quarter of the season and he's out a job.

Absolutely no loyalty in fitbaw whatsoever. Same wi Stubbsy last week. What ecavtly is the remit as manager of the likes of wigan and Rotherham? These clubs ain't gonna challenge for promotion to the top flight unless managers are given time to adapt to the league and find a style of play that is successful at a higher level

Smartie
25-10-2016, 05:29 PM
Always liked Gary Caldwell. Gave his best in the Hibs jersey and was another player who got a panning for wanting to maximise his earnings, which for football players, is a very short career.

I never really warmed to him when he was at Hibs. I never thought he was as good as he thought he was and I got the feeling that he thought he was way too good for us, and it wasn't really backed up by performances. Given some of the players we've watched in the not too distant past I didn't ever really think he had it in him to captain Celtic and Scotland and achieve what he did. I guess it's just me but I always saw heroic lunges with him having been in the wrong place in the first place.

Strangely I really liked him for Scotland. Scored a big goal against France and put in some top performances in big games. He was a guy you could rely on to be 100% committed, when you can't always really say that about OF Scotland players.

But the Scotland situation has sunk so low that we now look like we're even crying out for a Gary Caldwell.

I suspect that like Stubbs he's a very decent manager. It's a piece of nonsense that these guys are getting fired for their teams being down but nowhere near out after a quarter of a season. I hope they both pick up decent jobs and show Wigan and Rotherham up for the clubs that they are.

Joe6-2
25-10-2016, 06:06 PM

Only stayed with us because no one else wanted him at the time

basehibby
25-10-2016, 07:57 PM

That's a load of embittered crap! As I recall he had some options when he came to Hibs from Newcastle but opted for us because he wanted regular first team football - signed on an extension when he could have moved on for the same reasons. He only moved on to Celtic when he was confident he could nail down a place there which he did.

He was a good steady player for us and showed by his actions that money wasn't his only god - motivated more by the promise of playing regularl football and getting in the Scotland squad.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-10-2016, 08:18 PM
Think that he has done enough to get another shout down south. I would guess that Wigan still have fond memories of being top flight regulars and wining the FA Cup. But Caldwell has shown he can get a team out of the third tier.

eastmainsmsh
25-10-2016, 08:24 PM
Wonder if Stubbs will be approached

.Sean.
25-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Mind the reception he got against Aberdeen at home after the news of his pre-contract with Celtic came to light, sold the first goal and I'm sure we were 2 down early doors?

And his ridiculous celebration when he scored against us at Easter Road for Celtic.

**** him.

eastterrace
25-10-2016, 09:02 PM
Mind the reception he got against Aberdeen at home after the news of his pre-contract with Celtic came to light, sold the first goal and I'm sure we were 2 down early doors?

And his ridiculous celebration when he scored against us at Easter Road for Celtic.

**** him.

Yes agree he couldn't wait to get away, thought he was bigger than us. He was pish that day against Aberdeen he just crashed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lucky
25-10-2016, 09:42 PM
Regardless of how he left Hibs it's a ridiculous sacking he won promotion last season and deserved some time and loyalty back from the support and board

pacorosssco
25-10-2016, 09:44 PM
I was at player of year 2005..? Caldwell won. A pin coulda dropped. Not even players in attendence clapped. Mozza wasnt chuffed but so lucky same night see eddie t get standing ovation for scotland caps denied

snooky
25-10-2016, 10:18 PM
Got to feel sorry for Caldwell. Had Wigan performing great last season then makes the step up and struggle for the first quarter of the season and he's out a job.

Absolutely no loyalty in fitbaw whatsoever. Same wi Stubbsy last week. What ecavtly is the remit as manager of the likes of wigan and Rotherham? These clubs ain't gonna challenge for promotion to the top flight unless managers are given time to adapt to the league and find a style of play that is successful at a higher level

"Absolutely no loyalty in fitbaw" .... An apt comment on a Captain Calamity thread :greengrin

Thecat23
25-10-2016, 10:24 PM

Nope, that's not exactly true now is it?

pacorosssco
25-10-2016, 10:30 PM
Nope, that's not exactly true now is it?

While hibs saved him he didnt stick out as solid in a defence that let us down. Played out position at times but became better than we remember. Lucky to make 30k a week

Mon Dieu4
25-10-2016, 10:52 PM
Was always someone else's fault with him, he'd try yet another 90 yard pass that would go out of play then he'd turn and shout at people like it was their fault, same with his defending, he'd do his usual, hand up and claim offside

First and only time that I wasn't even bothered that one of our players was leaving us for one of them

ekhibee
26-10-2016, 12:47 AM
Well the 2 things I remember most about him was 1/ playing a really poor pass across the box in a derby game only for the Hearts striker to intercept it and put it in the back of the net only about 5 minutes into the game.
2/ when he got the equalizer for Celtic against us at ER and then ran up to the Hibs fans making gestures at them. We still beat them 3-2, it was one of the games Boruc made a whole load of ****ups in.
Didn't think he was anything special as a player at all, but we did get money for him.

Cameron1875
26-10-2016, 12:51 AM
Turns out Will Grigg wasn't on fire too much then. Good.

highland hibbee
26-10-2016, 05:16 AM
Was always someone else's fault with him, he'd try yet another 90 yard pass that would go out of play then he'd turn and shout at people like it was their fault, same with his defending, he'd do his usual, hand up and claim offside

First and only time that I wasn't even bothered that one of our players was leaving us for one of them

Aye he tried the World Cup ball over and over again and it came off once every few dozen attempts. Second touch was usually a lunge.Followed by a red card. Says how poor the International team was when you look at how many caps he got, ridiculous. Made far more out of football than his mediocre ability was worthy of, but I suppose it's not just him to be fair.
but the thing that pissed me off about him more than any other was after he'd been at Celtic about a week, he was boasting was half a stone lighter than he'd been at Hibs with the training. Obviously didn't put his all in at Hibs then if he had half a stone to spare. End of as far as I'm concerned.

bigwheel
26-10-2016, 05:29 AM
Caldwell was a modern footballer - made absolutely no pretence he was after the best deal he could get - was a decent player for us - had a mistake in him , but was great at driving the team
Forward 40-50 yards with his runs and passes...I recall he tried to get a deal in Holland before he signed an extension with us ...had no loyalty to any team - looked after himself...

Just Jimmy
26-10-2016, 07:04 AM
I was at player of year 2005..? Caldwell won. A pin coulda dropped. Not even players in attendence clapped. Mozza wasnt chuffed but so lucky same night see eddie t get standing ovation for scotland caps denied
Yoda?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JDHibs
26-10-2016, 07:17 AM
Promoted in May, Sacked in October.

Surely the way they won the league last season, didnt really invest heavily he should have been given to January?

Down south is becoming more like Italy with the hire and fire culture!

Pretty Boy
26-10-2016, 08:15 AM
I'm sure I read an article the other day that was about someone who was the 3rd longest serving manager in the EFL and he'd been in his job under 5 years. That sums up the cut throat nature of the business (and I use that word deliberately) down there, or anywhere for that matter.

A guy who achieved promotion last season deserves longer than 3 months in the higher league. As for Caldwell at Hibs? Good player who was prone to the odd blunder which always seemed to be held against him. He was in a no win situation after signing the deal with Celtic. Ian Murray did the same with Rangers but kept it quiet and was accused of being 'sly' and 'sneaky' and far worse, Caldwell was open about it and was called 'disruptive' and a 'Judas'.

Golden Bear
26-10-2016, 08:26 AM
I'm sure I read an article the other day that was about someone who was the 3rd longest serving manager in the EFL and he'd been in his job under 5 years. That sums up the cut throat nature of the business (and I use that word deliberately) down there, or anywhere for that matter.

A guy who achieved promotion last season deserves longer than 3 months in the higher league. As for Caldwell at Hibs? Good player who was prone to the odd blunder which always seemed to be held against him. He was in a no win situation after signing the deal with Celtic. Ian Murray did the same with Rangers but kept it quiet and was accused of being 'sly' and 'sneaky' and far worse, Caldwell was open about it and was called 'disruptive' and a 'Judas'.

Spot on PB.

Signing a pre contract deal with another Club who compete in the same league as your current employer was never a good idea (for any player. )However if opportunity knocks then it must be difficult to turn down a chance to better yourself and your family.

johnbc70
26-10-2016, 08:43 AM
Was there not a story about him cheating on his wife (whom he had married only a few months earlier) with a Rangers Cheerleader. Says a lot about the man.

jacomo
26-10-2016, 08:45 AM

He really didn't give his best in a Hibs shirt. He could have been much better for us.

No real hard feelings, but he was similar to Chris Killen - a decent player who showed zero attachment to Hibs whatsoever.

BSEJVT
26-10-2016, 09:28 AM
I am going to go against the grain here and say that I liked Caldwell as a player at Hibs, although not the manner of his re-signing or subsequent leaving.

He wasn't perfect by any manner of means, but I liked the way he drove us forward late on it games and its amazing how many times under Mowbray that bore fruit.

I also cant fault him for wanting to play at the highest level he could, many of us do that in our own day jobs.

I think there is a huge amount of double standards with football supporters (and I am as guilty as anyone) we decry people for moving on to bigger challenges / bigger pay packets but if we are honest if another employer offered us substantially more cash we would jump at it.

lyonhibs
26-10-2016, 11:05 AM
Was there not a story about him cheating on his wife (whom he had married only a few months earlier) with a Rangers Cheerleader. Says a lot about the man.

Giving rise to the fabulous "what's it like to **** a Hun" chant from the East repeatedly on the 3-2 home victory that he scored in and the Holy Goalie had a 1 man horror show.

Joe6-2
26-10-2016, 09:00 PM

**** him.
This!!!

Fisherrow Harp
27-10-2016, 01:07 PM
This!!!

I'll second that motion!

JimBHibees
27-10-2016, 01:49 PM
Thought he was a decent professional at Hibs who was a good leader when times got tough. Cant really fault him signing for Celtic and to be fair at least he had the backbone to be honest about it unlike some others.