PDA

View Full Version : mcgregor for scotland

shetlandhibee
24-10-2016, 04:45 PM
i know we are playing in championship, but if theres IMHO a better defender playing in scotland or england just now at GS disposal ive yet to see him.! hes young compared to some in scotland squad if he keeps on as he is he shouldnt be ignored(hanlon also, DM certainly)when ive seen him lately he gets better and better:not worth

northstandhibby
24-10-2016, 04:48 PM
i know we are playing in championship, but if theres IMHO a better defender playing in scotland or england just now at GS disposal ive yet to see him.! hes young compared to some in scotland squad if he keeps on as he is he shouldnt be ignored(hanlon also, DM certainly)when ive seen him lately he gets better and better:not worth

:top marks

Darren is a fantastic defender. He has really helped Paul Hanlon come on to his game as well. Scotland could do a lot worse than have DM in the team.

Top Post.

GGTTH

Smartie
24-10-2016, 04:56 PM
I reckon if he'd stayed at Rangers he'd be their main defender by now and also in the Scotland squad.

Instead Rangers delude themselves with notions of defenders having to be footballers so let go the best "defender" they had.

Their loss is most definitely our gain. Oh, and it is most definitely Darren's gain as well, there's nothing he could have achieved at Rangers that would have been close to what he achieved in May.

MWHIBBIES
24-10-2016, 05:13 PM
I reckon if he'd stayed at Rangers he'd be their main defender by now and also in the Scotland squad.

Instead Rangers delude themselves with notions of defenders having to be footballers so let go the best "defender" they had.

Their loss is most definitely our gain. Oh, and it is most definitely Darren's gain as well, there's nothing he could have achieved at Rangers that would have been close to what he achieved in May.Defenders do have to be footballers tbh, McGregor just has Hanlon, Fontaine and Fyvie around him who are all good with the ball. Rangers mistake was thinking they were in a position to be picky and that Kiernan and Wilson were even close to McGregors level.

Jones28
24-10-2016, 05:44 PM
He can't be any worse than those 2 fuds we are bringing no uo from down south surely?

Highland_Hibee
24-10-2016, 06:20 PM
Not even bias I honestly think DM could do every bit of the job of Hanley or Martin. The problem is as said he is in the Championship and with Hibs. Remember the days of wondering how Murray and Caldwell couldn't get near the Scotland squad and then they moved on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
24-10-2016, 06:24 PM

Their loss is most definitely our gain. Oh, and it is most definitely Darren's gain as well, there's nothing he could have achieved at Rangers that would have been close to what he achieved in May.
Agreed, but they've got Philip sendimoff at about £10k a week if he appears. Heart of a mouse and the turning speed of an oil tanker.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Hibby Bairn
24-10-2016, 06:28 PM
He can't be any worse than those 2 fuds we are bringing no uo from down south surely?

There are plenty we could name that would be better than that two.

Shrekko
24-10-2016, 06:29 PM
Major blunder by Warburton. He won their player of the year in the previous season.

Not saying he's international class but he's easy as good as the ones in the squad.

Hibee87
24-10-2016, 06:33 PM
No chance. Not big enough

MWHIBBIES
24-10-2016, 07:21 PM
Agreed, but they've got Philip sendimoff at about £10k a week if he appears. Heart of a mouse and the turning speed of an oil tanker.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using TapatalkThey had to buy him, their motto is ''no Surrenderos'' after all.

Scouse Hibee
24-10-2016, 07:27 PM

Not big enough for what......playing centre half? Have I imagined his performances.

Bostonhibby
24-10-2016, 07:29 PM
They had to buy him, their motto is ''no Surrenderos'' after all.
Agree. The now defunct Glasgow rangers used to have a player called orjan persson. They signed him as they mistakenly thought they were buying an orange person so had to do it.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Unseen work
24-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Not big enough for what......playing centre half? Have I imagined his performances.

I assume it's in reference to the Leigh Griffiths scenario

Baader
24-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Certainly not any worse than any of the huddies currently playing that position for Scotland.

Wouldn't wish joining the Scotland setup on anyone at the moment!

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-10-2016, 07:51 PM

Hoping that's a sly dig at Strachan's selection technique?

Scouse Hibee
24-10-2016, 07:53 PM
I assume it's in reference to the Leigh Griffiths scenario

Ah I see :-)

Dashing Bob S
24-10-2016, 08:26 PM
Fair play to the Huns, we got Darren McGregor, they failed to get Scott Allan. It all evens itself out.

where'stheslope
25-10-2016, 03:48 PM
Think the inclusion of Darren would help in a big way as Scotland have now no chance of qualifying out the group so Strachan should be using all the games left to look at and blood new younger players.
The biggest problem with that is, no one seems to know the way Strachan thinks, and we all know that the Glasgow Media hold more clout in who's picked than some football managers?????

CropleyWasGod
25-10-2016, 03:50 PM
Think the inclusion of Darren would help in a big way as Scotland have now no chance of qualifying out the group so Strachan should be using all the games left to look at and blood new younger players.
The biggest problem with that is, no one seems to know the way Strachan thinks, and we all know that the Glasgow Media hold more clout in who's picked than some football managers?????

He's 31.

Hibee87
25-10-2016, 03:58 PM
I forgot about this thread. Yes, my pun was aimed at the strachan mentality.

Hibbyradge
25-10-2016, 04:05 PM
If we were in the Prem, he might have a shout, but good performances against championship players does not prove international capability.

I'm not saying he's not good enough, just that he needs to prove it at a better level.

Allant1981
25-10-2016, 06:40 PM
He's 31.

Younger than greer😀

Allant1981
25-10-2016, 06:40 PM
If we were in the Prem, he might have a shout, but good performances against championship players does not prove international capability.

I'm not saying he's not good enough, just that he needs to prove it at a better level.

Mcginn managed to get in the last few squads playing against the same players

Hibbyradge
25-10-2016, 06:46 PM
Mcginn managed to get in the last few squads playing against the same players

True.

Aldo
25-10-2016, 07:23 PM

Did The grass no get called into a squad whilst playing in league 1?? Mind you he does play for Newco?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikey09
26-10-2016, 09:46 AM
Honestly I'd have either Daz or Hanlon playing before Hanley! Absolute liability that boy. But it'll never happen. Strachans to stubborn to admit he's made a mistake with Hanley. I'm going to Wembley and shudder to think what that England forward line will do to him.

JDHibs
26-10-2016, 09:56 AM
Hanlon and McGregor wont get near the Scotland team.

There are players that are playing at a higher level and doing better like Reynolds at Aberdeen and Souttar at Hearts who would get a shout first. Plus the usuals than strachan picks in Greer and Berra.

Strachan wont change his favoured CB partnership of Martin & Hanley unless forced. But again, these guys are playing at a MUCH higher level than Hanlon and McGregor. People may say that they are crap but big difference between looking "crap" in the championship down south than looking good in the championship up here. Sure Martin is the captain at Norwich and has 240 apps with Norwich alone and Hanley cost £5m and has 190 apps in the prem/championship

How many players do well up here then fail down south?

Allan & Fyvie come to mind although not CBs. People need to take the green tinted glasses off and be a bit more realistic. Hanlon and McGregor and good defenders but look at what they are playing against?

Mikey09
26-10-2016, 04:09 PM

There are players that are playing at a higher level and doing better like Reynolds at Aberdeen and Souttar at Hearts who would get a shout first. Plus the usuals than strachan picks in Greer and Berra.

Strachan wont change his favoured CB partnership of Martin & Hanley unless forced. But again, these guys are playing at a MUCH higher level than Hanlon and McGregor. People may say that they are crap but big difference between looking "crap" in the championship down south than looking good in the championship up here. Sure Martin is the captain at Norwich and has 240 apps with Norwich alone and Hanley cost £5m and has 190 apps in the prem/championship

Allan & Fyvie come to mind although not CBs. People need to take the green tinted glasses off and be a bit more realistic. Hanlon and McGregor and good defenders but look at what they are playing against?

McGregor and Hanlon were both outstanding against Brondby this season. A far higher calibre of player than the over rated English championship has. Hanlon is way more composed and reads the game better than Martin. McGregor is in the mould of Hanley but doesn't get caught constantly ball watching. You say they're both playing against piss poor players yet Strachan was picking guys who weren't even playing for their clubs!
How many players do well down there and fail up here? Quite a few.

pacoluna
27-10-2016, 05:56 PM
McG would have been playing down south at much higher level if he never done both cruciates when younger. If he wasn't a leith boy he wouldn't be at Hibs Hes far to good for this division.

Dashing Bob S
27-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Much too good for the pish that is Scotland. I feel insulted every time our fine name is tarnished through association with that rubbish.

where'stheslope
27-10-2016, 06:33 PM
He's 31.

Thank you for that.

I was meaning blooding both new and older players that as yet are untried.
If we did more of this we might start getting a decent team of players, rather than a team of cronies of the manager.

shetlandhibee
27-10-2016, 07:08 PM

Allan & Fyvie come to mind although not CBs. People need to take the green tinted glasses off and be a bit more realistic. Hanlon and McGregor and good defenders but look at what they are playing against? how did DM do against all the premier teams last season on way to 2 cup finals? as was said by someone before, if DM was still at greyskull he,d probably have got a cap last season and would be a regular in scotland squad now IMHO.... ime just happy we have him:not worth GGTTH............again>!:agree:

shetlandhibee
27-10-2016, 07:14 PM
how did DM do against all the premier teams last season on way to 2 cup finals? as was said by someone before, if DM was still at greyskull he,d probably have got a cap last season and would be a regular in scotland squad now IMHO.... ime just happy we have him:not worth GGTTH............again>!:agree:how many on here would put hanley in team before DM? just cause he cost 5 million? is he not about 36 7 now? not that i think the age things a big thing... IMHO hanley in his prime is no where near as good a CB as DM....:flag:oops :doh:( my son told me lol)its greer thats 36 7 .hanley a lot younger:rolleyes: but DM better in the air , better tackler, and a lot quicker than hanley, hence the post:greengrin,and IMHO would be a better sub than greer as well GGTTH..

Alex Trager
27-10-2016, 07:18 PM
Fair play to the Huns, we got Darren McGregor, they failed to get Scott Allan. It all evens itself out.

Over the course of a season.