PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Skol Cup 1991

SouthMoroccoStu
24-10-2016, 03:46 PM
Does anyone have a high quality image of the 1991 Hibs team with the Skol Cup?

All the ones on Google Images seem pretty poor!

:flag:

GreenT
24-10-2016, 06:57 PM
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=E3613BD98CDB88CF%211556&cid=E3613BD98CDB88CF

this do

SouthMoroccoStu
24-10-2016, 07:51 PM
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=E3613BD98CDB88CF%211556&cid=E3613BD98CDB88CF

this do

Hi GreenT

Could you post the image again

It's saying it's no longer available or I may not have permission to view it

Cheers mate

Xray
24-10-2016, 09:11 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161024/c7bebc4a9b621f559580fdd865fbff2e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Callyballybe
24-10-2016, 09:36 PM
Great photo - and what a goalie top that was!

lyonhibs
25-10-2016, 06:37 AM
Great photo - and what a goalie top that was!

Presumably it wasn't the official Hibs one and just one from Budgie's private collection, as was his want!

Pretty Boy
25-10-2016, 08:56 AM
Presumably it wasn't the official Hibs one and just one from Budgie's private collection, as was his want!

That was the Adidas template goalie strip of the time so think that may have been a Hibs one. We also had a plain yellow and plain sky blue one at the time but as you say Budgie rarely wore them.

That strip came in 4 colourways and Adidas have recently released 2 remakes in the yellow and red and blue and navy versions. That design really was a thing of beauty. They have also remade their other 1990 template and 2 of the 1994 template colourways although the latter 2 don't look quite as good as they did 1st time out.

Pretty Boy
25-10-2016, 09:00 AM
http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/Mens-Goalkeeping-Clothing-adidas-retro-90-GK-Jersey-Gold-Red-Black-116958.aspx?

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/Mens-Goalkeeping-Clothing-adidas-retro-92-GK-Jersey-Navy-Sky-White-102262.aspx?

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/Mens-Goalkeeping-Clothing-adidas-Retro-94-GK-Jersey-Gold-Red-Black-102260.aspx?

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/Mens-Goalkeeping-Clothing-adidas-retro-94-GK-Jersey-Grey-Red-Black-102259.aspx?

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/Mens-Goalkeeping-Clothing-adidas-retro-92-GK-Jersey-Black-Yellow-102261.aspx?

Few links per my previous post.

lyonhibs
25-10-2016, 09:37 AM
http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/Mens-Goalkeeping-Clothing-adidas-retro-90-GK-Jersey-Gold-Red-Black-116958.aspx?

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/Mens-Goalkeeping-Clothing-adidas-retro-92-GK-Jersey-Navy-Sky-White-102262.aspx?

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/Mens-Goalkeeping-Clothing-adidas-Retro-94-GK-Jersey-Gold-Red-Black-102260.aspx?

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/Mens-Goalkeeping-Clothing-adidas-retro-94-GK-Jersey-Grey-Red-Black-102259.aspx?

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/Mens-Goalkeeping-Clothing-adidas-retro-92-GK-Jersey-Black-Yellow-102261.aspx?

Few links per my previous post.

Might treat myself to that third one to recreate Bodo Illgner/Andreas Kopke chic.

northstandhibby
25-10-2016, 09:55 AM

What a brilliant photo.

It was an amazing and thoroughly unexpected cup win after everything we had been through as a club at that time.

GGTTH

Engels74
25-10-2016, 03:38 PM

Here is budgie top's for Germany

California-Hibs
25-10-2016, 04:28 PM

So I've always wanted to ask but never done so because it's probably a really stupid question, but whenever I see this picture I always think 'what the heck is that other Cup then??' As I presume one is obviously the Skol Cup.

CropleyWasGod
25-10-2016, 04:35 PM
So I've always wanted to ask but never done so because it's probably a really stupid question, but whenever I see this picture I always think 'what the heck is that other Cup then??' As I presume one is obviously the Skol Cup.

One was the Skol Cup, the other the League Cup.

Pretty Boy
25-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Here is budgie top's for Germany

Beauty.

Goalkeepers strips now are just so dull. The Adidas ranges throughout the 90s were absolutely superb, another couple of favourites of mine below:

https://catcochrane.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/newcastle-1995-96-1-1.jpg

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/pict/301995641230_1.jpg

Applogies to everyone else for the thread hijack.

GreenT
25-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Hi GreenT

Could you post the image again

It's saying it's no longer available or I may not have permission to view it

Cheers mate

I see X Ray has posted the same photo. I can't seem to post mine onto this reply

California-Hibs
26-10-2016, 12:22 AM
One was the Skol Cup, the other the League Cup.

I had that thought but why did we have the 72 League Cup at the 91 Skol Cup Final? Did we get to keep the 72 Cup as our own and it was just simply a case of showcasing 2 trophies?

CropleyWasGod
26-10-2016, 06:45 AM
I had that thought but why did we have the 72 League Cup at the 91 Skol Cup Final? Did we get to keep the 72 Cup as our own and it was just simply a case of showcasing 2 trophies?
The League Cup went back to the League after 72....to be competed for the next season. It still is.

For a few seasons, while they sponsored it, Skol also put up a trophy. Presumably, it was kept by whoever won it the last time it was sponsored by Skol.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

SouthMoroccoStu
26-10-2016, 06:56 AM
I always thought the skol cup was a sponsors trophy you got in addition for winning the league cup

E.g. In 2007, If CIS insurance wanted to produce a trophy as part of the league cup sponsorship there was nothing to stop them

BoomtownHibees
26-10-2016, 06:57 AM

We won the competition which was the League Cup so received that trophy as well as the Skol Cup (sponsors trophy)

California-Hibs
26-10-2016, 07:16 AM
We won the competition which was the League Cup so received that trophy as well as the Skol Cup (sponsors trophy)

Still a bit lost. So in 72 we won the League Cup and then had to give it back to the league to be competed for for the next season. Then fast forward 19 years to 1991 and we won the Skol Cup - wasn't this just another additional competition we had going on within Scottish football at the time? So where's the link in competitions with a big 19 year gap in between? :S

California-Hibs
26-10-2016, 07:18 AM
Or are you saying in 1972 we won the League Cup and the Skol Cup was a sponsor trophy at the time so we additionally received that? But why in 1991 would the League Cup make an appearance back on the pitch when that would of been handed back to the league 19 years previous and won by a host of teams in between?

marinello59
26-10-2016, 07:29 AM
Or are you saying in 1972 we won the League Cup and the Skol Cup was a sponsor trophy at the time so we additionally received that? But why in 1991 would the League Cup make an appearance back on the pitch when that would of been handed back to the league 19 years previous and won by a host of teams in between?

Because we had just won it. :greengrin
Skol proved an additional trophy, not a replacement.

Steve-O
26-10-2016, 07:33 AM
Still a bit lost. So in 72 we won the League Cup and then had to give it back to the league to be competed for for the next season. Then fast forward 19 years to 1991 and we won the Skol Cup - wasn't this just another additional competition we had going on within Scottish football at the time? So where's the link in competitions with a big 19 year gap in between? :S

They are the exact same competition. The Skol Cup trophy was simply an extra, provided by Skol.

Steve-O
26-10-2016, 07:34 AM

I'm assuming now you've been drinking :greengrin

Pretty Boy
26-10-2016, 07:39 AM

The competition we won in 1991 was the League Cup, same as 72, it had just been rebranded the Skol Cup as part of a sponsorship deal. Same as it would later become the Coca Cola Cup, CIS Cup and now Betfred Cup or our Cup is the William Hill Scottish Cup and was the Tennents Scottish Cup.

Only difference is in 1991 Skol decided to provide an additional trophy that was also presented to the winners, that wasn't a seperate competition just an extra trophy.

California-Hibs
26-10-2016, 07:54 AM
The competition we won in 1991 was the League Cup, same as 72, it had just been rebranded the Skol Cup as part of a sponsorship deal. Same as it would later become the Coca Cola Cup, CIS Cup and now Betfred Cup or our Cup is the William Hill Scottish Cup and was the Tennents Scottish Cup.

Only difference is in 1991 Skol decided to provide an additional trophy that was also presented to the winners, that wasn't a seperate competition just an extra trophy.

Explained perfectly! My apologies guys, I shamefully never knew the Skol Cup was in fact the same competition as the League Cup and that Skol had just presented us with an additional Sponsorship Trophy. I've honestly thought for all these years that the Skol Cup was a completely different competition that was tried out for a few years, never caught on and they done away with it.

Some reading up on history required from me! It's actually shocking because I feel I can relay Hibs history dating way way back, but I guess I got it completely wrong regarding the Skol Cup/League Cup 😂 To be fair I was only 3 when we won it!

California-Hibs
26-10-2016, 07:55 AM
I'm assuming now you've been drinking :greengrin

I wish I had been!!

lyonhibs
26-10-2016, 09:35 AM
Explained perfectly! My apologies guys, I shamefully never knew the Skol Cup was in fact the same competition as the League Cup and that Skol had just presented us with an additional Sponsorship Trophy. I've honestly thought for all these years that the Skol Cup was a completely different competition that was tried out for a few years, never caught on and they done away with it.

Some reading up on history required from me! It's actually shocking because I feel I can relay Hibs history dating way way back, but I guess I got it completely wrong regarding the Skol Cup/League Cup 😂 To be fair I was only 3 when we won it!

Whit?? :confused: :confused:

:rotflmao::rotflmao:

Peevemor
26-10-2016, 10:14 AM

Maybe you're getting confused with the Skol Festival Trophy which took place in the summer of 1979? It was a 4 team tournament invoving Hibs, Hearts, Coventry (brown strips!) & Manchester City. Matches were played at ER & Tynie and you got 2 matches for the price of one.

My first Hibs game was the match against Hearts (we won 2-1) and this was followed by Man City v Coventry.

It was a one-off event.

Iggy Pope
26-10-2016, 02:13 PM
Maybe you're getting confused with the Skol Festival Trophy which took place in the summer of 1979? It was a 4 team tournament invoving Hibs, Hearts, Coventry (brown strips!) & Manchester City. Matches were played at ER & Tynie and you got 2 matches for the price of one.

My first Hibs game was the match against Hearts (we won 2-1) and this was followed by Man City v Coventry.

It was a one-off event.

I remember the game v City at Tynie and Joe Corrigan flattening Colin Campbell at the Gorgie Rd end. The physio (could it have been the blessed and sacred Tam McNiven?) related afterwards that he had to stop him swallowing his tongue.

And Skol Lager. WTF happened to that? Wherever it went I'm glad it went where it did. Remember getting a pint of it in the Barony Bar one Saturday night in the lost early 80s and it tasted like egg ****ing rolls.

Hamish
26-10-2016, 02:51 PM
I remember the game v City at Tynie and Joe Corrigan flattening Colin Campbell at the Gorgie Rd end. The physio (could it have been the blessed and sacred Tam McNiven?) related afterwards that he had to stop him swallowing his tongue.

And Skol Lager. WTF happened to that? Wherever it went I'm glad it went where it did. Remember getting a pint of it in the Barony Bar one Saturday night in the lost early 80s and it tasted like egg ****ing rolls.

You got one of the decent pints then - only surpassed in horribleness by Kestrel.

Pretty Boy
26-10-2016, 04:57 PM

You still get cans of Skol in Tesco. It is indeed vile stuff.

Iggy Pope
26-10-2016, 06:16 PM
You got one of the decent pints then - only surpassed in horribleness by Kestrel.

See, I keep a wee regard for Kestrel. It was my first under-age carry-oot. Khayyams on the corner of Albert Street and Easter Road.

Hamish
26-10-2016, 06:29 PM
See, I keep a wee regard for Kestrel. It was my first under-age carry-oot. Khayyams on the corner of Albert Street and Easter Road.

I used to get free cans as my mate worked in S&N at Fountainbridge when it first came out. Appaling stuff.

Pretty Boy
26-10-2016, 07:14 PM
I used to get free cans as my mate worked in S&N at Fountainbridge when it first came out. Appaling stuff.

I'm sure Kestrel has made a comeback and the new stuff is far stronger than the old 3% job. Never tried it so no idea what it's like but a couple of supermarkets took it on.

muzzando
26-10-2016, 07:37 PM
I'm sure Kestrel has made a comeback and the new stuff is far stronger than the old 3% job. Never tried it so no idea what it's like but a couple of supermarkets took it on.

Can confirm the new Kestrel is awful. Didn't had the old one because I was too young

Phil MaGlass
26-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Keith keith keith

Waxy
26-10-2016, 07:43 PM
Skol skol skol skol
Funny how it has stuck as the skol cup even though they only sponsored the league cup for a short period.
Funny too that there's folk who dont know we actually won the league cup in 1991.

One Day Soon
26-10-2016, 07:54 PM

It's a good thread but this is the very best bit.

CyberSauzee
26-10-2016, 08:45 PM
Can confirm the new Kestrel is awful. Didn't had the old one because I was too young

I saw some boy drinking a can of Kestrel Super Strength using a straw the other week. Sophisticated alkis down here in London.

Leithenhibby
26-10-2016, 09:16 PM

That was the worst pint on the planet :agree:

I've still got my t-shirt, like new it is!.. :greengrin

Skol
26-10-2016, 09:38 PM
In the course of the post match celebrations I was in a 'skol' pub and they had skol pennants around the walls.

when I awoke the next morning it transpired that I had acquired a roll of said pennants and turned them into a belt ,which I had been unable to remove before getting some much needed sleep.

A pair of scissors were required to get them off !!!

Steve-O
27-10-2016, 07:24 AM
You still get cans of Skol in Tesco. It is indeed vile stuff.

Bizarrely I had a can in Malaysia about 9 years ago - it was widely available over there!

Pat 0-7
27-10-2016, 09:57 AM
Skol was nectar compared to Charger .......cheap gutrot with a King Billy lookalike on the can!!

Pretty Boy
27-10-2016, 10:02 AM
Anyone know what players are going to be at ER on Saturday? Article I read said the majority would be in attendance. Really hope Budgie is there although I suspect he may be one who isn't given where he currently lives.