PDA

View Full Version : Worst city/town in the UK?

SRHibs
24-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Have been all over the UK and seen some right ****holes, but over the past few weeks I've been in Doncaster for work and this place is almost inexplicably bad. Never have I seen a place so empty and devoid of any semblance of culture. The place and its people feel hopeless. Not that there's anything wrong with having council estates in cities, but this entire town feels like one.

It's also full of absolute radges. I was in work this weekend, and someone ran in off the street and emptied my office whilst I was in another room. Only in Doncaster.

Apologies if anyone from here is from 'Donny', but it's an absolute dive. Maybe I'm just spoiled after growing up in Edinburgh though?

So, any contenders for this award? Heard Rotherham is equally bad.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-10-2016, 02:34 PM
Wigton near Carlisle is a desolate place.

#FromTheCapital
24-10-2016, 03:05 PM
Hell... sorry, Hull

Pretty Boy
24-10-2016, 03:06 PM
Stoke on Trent.

Just utterly terrible.

Hibee87
24-10-2016, 03:15 PM
Hell... sorry, Hull

Not the city of Culture?? :greengrin

Hiber-nation
24-10-2016, 03:25 PM
Stoke on Trent.

Just utterly terrible.

Driving through Stoke on Trent was a bit like an encounter with the death eaters....the life was just draining out of me.

pontius pilate
24-10-2016, 05:01 PM
Burnley for me. Where I was it was a ****hole

speedy_gonzales
24-10-2016, 05:06 PM
Certainly agree about Doncaster and Stoke-on-Trent. Had the misfortune of visiting/lodging these towns through work. The worst in my opinion would be Newport, South wales. I think the biggest problem there though was general deprivation through lack of employment in the area and there is one of the largest council estates in Europe there so it would be a bit harsh to give it a further kicking by awarding it the Worst City/Town accolade!

Pete
24-10-2016, 05:26 PM
Certainly agree about Doncaster and Stoke-on-Trent. Had the misfortune of visiting/lodging these towns through work. The worst in my opinion would be Newport, South wales. I think the biggest problem there though was general deprivation through lack of employment in the area and there is one of the largest council estates in Europe there so it would be a bit harsh to give it a further kicking by awarding it the Worst City/Town accolade!

I think most of the places you could mention were once synonymous with a certain industry that maintained their community and gave people a sense of pride. Even the places that have been "regenerated" haven't replaced these skilled, secure jobs adequately. How many of these jobs that are included in the figures that politicians trott out are part of this dreadful gig economy, where low pay, depressing work and zero job security and rights are the order of the day?

I was going to give Middlesbrough a kicking but I won't bother now.

Smartie
24-10-2016, 05:41 PM
My Dad had to work for a short spell down in Yorkshire in the 80s and he assures me that at that time Rotherham was hell on Earth. He's also got a few funny stories about working in some of the less well-populated Orkney islands (although I suppose this is a different sort of grim).

The worst parts of Glasgow take a bit of beating.

Scouse Hibee
24-10-2016, 05:48 PM
I found Middlesbrough to be a depressing souless place,never seen a centre like it on a Saturday too.

calumhibee1
24-10-2016, 06:27 PM
Cowdenbeath.

calumhibee1
24-10-2016, 06:28 PM
Also a mention for Cardiff. There will definitely be worse but for being one of the UKs biggest cities it's an absolute hellhole.

Sylar
24-10-2016, 07:33 PM
Edinburgh - full of pretentious knobs :greengrin

Sergey
24-10-2016, 07:52 PM
I see both Hull and Stoke-on-Trent get worthy mentions. Both are pretty grim, however any town on the Northern part of the Thames Estuary will take some beating. Thurrock, Canvey Island, Tilbury, Grays - Think pikey and that's what those places are. The outskirts are full of fields of caravans with horses/ponies tethered to road-signs. The 'proper' folk left a generation ago.

Not the sort of places you would want to take a self-catering break.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-10-2016, 07:53 PM
I stayed in Reading for a few days when Hibs played Millwall on that "infamous" night and thought it was a proper dump, don't know what its like now though.

Hiber-nation
24-10-2016, 09:10 PM
I see both Hull and Stoke-on-Trent get worthy mentions. Both are pretty grim, however any town on the Northern part of the Thames Estuary will take some beating. Thurrock, Canvey Island, Tilbury, Grays - Think pikey and that's what those places are. The outskirts are full of fields of caravans with horses/ponies tethered to road-signs. The 'proper' folk left a generation ago.

Dunno what Grays is like now but I knew a lassie who lived there back in 1980 and it was full of "oi what are you lookin at?" tw@ts driving Ford Capris with fluffy dice and go faster stripes. Pikeys alright.

Dav1986
24-10-2016, 09:15 PM
Wigton near Carlisle is a desolate place.

Drive past there quite often on the way to the inlaws in Maryport but never stopped there. Don't think I'll bother now.

My experience, Hull, Stoke and Luton are awful awful places.

wpj
24-10-2016, 09:24 PM

At least Canvey Island produced Dr Feelgood. The view from Southend is a bit grim. It's not a great place either

Sergey
24-10-2016, 09:30 PM
Dunno what Grays is like now but I knew a lassie who lived there back in 1980 and it was full of "oi what are you lookin at?" tw@ts driving Ford Capris with fluffy dice and go faster stripes. Pikeys alright.

I have the misfortune to have to visit these middens watching non-league football and I'm glad to leave with the car still in one piece. I recently visited Mill Field, home of Aveley FC and I kid you not, even the charity shop in the centre of town had been boarded up.

I had a pint in a local boozer and had to wipe my feet on the way out. Everything was bolted to the floor (although it wasn't worth choring).

Hiber-nation
24-10-2016, 09:40 PM
I have the misfortune to have to visit these middens watching non-league football and I'm glad to leave with the car still in one piece. I recently visited Mill Field, home of Aveley FC and I kid you not, even the charity shop in the centre of town had been boarded up.

I had a pint in a local boozer and had to wipe my feet on the way out. Everything was bolted to the floor (although it wasn't worth choring).

I actually remember my mate driving us through Aveley from these days, nasty little place from what I recall. Barking was the worst though, chased out the pub for being "f***** jocks". I assume it's still as bad?!?

wpj
24-10-2016, 09:46 PM
I actually remember my mate driving us through Aveley from these days, nasty little place from what I recall. Barking was the worst though, chased out the pub for being "f***** jocks". I assume it's still as bad?!?

In my previous job I worked around Barking, Romford Ilford etc all pretty desperate but apparantly on the up due to their rail links to London. Not sure where the current locals will be moving on to

Sergey
24-10-2016, 09:59 PM
In my previous job I worked around Barking, Romford Ilford etc all pretty desperate but apparantly on the up due to their rail links to London. Not sure where the current locals will be moving on to

Romford isn't too bad as it has the 'barrow-boy' mentality due to it's thriving market (Bruce my neighbour came from there if you recall). There is legit money there. I don't recall ever visiting Barking or Ilford and I have little reason to ever have to.

I kind of laugh at Boris' idea of building a new airport in the Thames Estuary. A tourists first impression of the UK after leaving Heathrow must be pretty grim, but it'll look like the Caribbean compared to what the journey into London from there has to offer on the eye.

wpj
24-10-2016, 10:06 PM
Romford isn't too bad as it has the 'barrow-boy' mentality due to it's thriving market (Bruce my neighbour came from there if you recall). There is legit money there. I don't recall ever visiting Barking or Ilford and I have little reason to ever have to.

I kind of laugh at Boris' idea of building a new airport in the Thames Estuary. A tourists first impression of the UK after leaving Heathrow must be pretty grim, but it'll look like the Caribbean compared to what the journey into London from there has to offer on the eye.

The market now is pretty much the same as the others in the area, cheap clothes etc. All the fish, butchers and produce gone now. The high St is all charity shops, money lenders and witherspoon pubs. As you say no reason to visit now. Bruce! That's a flashback......

KeithTheHibby
24-10-2016, 10:09 PM
Grimsby. Such an apt name.

TRC
25-10-2016, 12:06 AM
Remember a story about which building you would take away from your city so for example the St James in Edinburgh was the top for Edinburgh. Cumbernauld was eh Cumbernauld in its entirety which I can agree with 100%!

matty_f
25-10-2016, 01:01 AM
Hemel Hempstead isn't up to much. Stranraer takes the crown for me though, ****ing hate the place.

lyonhibs
25-10-2016, 05:35 PM
Milton Keynes must be up there, just for soulless greyness. One roundabout after a -****ing-nother.

Stoke is a good shout. Wolverhampton town centre was a depressing midden full of empty plots and bookies a few years ago, hopefully it's improved as the locals are, once you've worked out what the devil they're saying, amongst the nicest folk I've ever met.

Hibrandenburg
25-10-2016, 06:45 PM
Luton is by a long way the biggest dump I've ever spent time in. The shopping centre there is like the scene out of "Dawn of the Dead". The percentage of people living there must have the highest rate of social neglect induced mental health issues in the UK. Absolutely depressing.

Galahibby
25-10-2016, 07:24 PM
Selkirk. Poisonous little ****hole, and still stuck in the 19th century!

Jack
25-10-2016, 08:37 PM
As a teenager I once stayed a night in Rotherham. Never felt the urge to go back!

I also spent a day in Blackpool one January a few years back. A really awful day weatherwise, nowhere open, everything looking run down and grimey. Nothing worse than an empty place that should be full.

Scouse Hibee
25-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Rhyl, run down seaside down the last time I was there it was an absolute dump.

ClewsHibs
25-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Glenrothes

Sylar
25-10-2016, 09:08 PM
Honourable mention for Bangor in Wales! Went for a job interview at the University there once - was so glad to leave again!

Pretty Boy
25-10-2016, 09:09 PM
As a teenager I once stayed a night in Rotherham. Never felt the urge to go back!

I also spent a day in Blackpool one January a few years back. A really awful day weatherwise, nowhere open, everything looking run down and grimey. Nothing worse than an empty place that should be full.

Blackpool is a strange one.

I stayed there for a couple of days whilst down for the Grand National this year and I couldn't make my mind up about it. On one hand some of it is quite charming and some of the art deco buildings are a nice throwback to the heyday of the British seaside resort. It's also easy to see why it's ideal for families looking to keep kids amused for a few days.

On the flip side some of the place is really run down and a lot of it looks like to could be resolved by a lick of paint and a good clean. We met some friends just down the road in Lytham one night and it was like a different world. I suppose the prices paid explain why though.

snooky
25-10-2016, 10:48 PM
About 8 years ago I stopped at Morecambe for a few hours.
What a dull and dead place it seemed to be. I felt I was in a movie scene about a post nuclear strike.

matty_f
25-10-2016, 10:57 PM

I stayed there for a couple of days whilst down for the Grand National this year and I couldn't make my mind up about it. On one hand some of it is quite charming and some of the art deco buildings are a nice throwback to the heyday of the British seaside resort. It's also easy to see why it's ideal for families looking to keep kids amused for a few days.

On the flip side some of the place is really run down and a lot of it looks like to could be resolved by a lick of paint and a good clean. We met some friends just down the road in Lytham one night and it was like a different world. I suppose the prices paid explain why though.

Blackpool is a ***** hole. Can't stand the place.

Mixu62
25-10-2016, 11:55 PM
Any of the Lanarkshire towns deserve a mention, particularly Airdrie. Also once spent a childhood family holiday just outside Great Yarmouth. No idea what's so great about it. The seaside resort side of the town was OK I guess, though looking a bit tired, but then you walk a bit along the sea-front and find yourself in the middle of an industrial port. Beautiful.

Haymaker
26-10-2016, 01:21 AM
Portsmouth.

Caversham Green
26-10-2016, 07:20 AM
I stayed in Reading for a few days when Hibs played Millwall on that "infamous" night and thought it was a proper dump, don't know what its like now though.

It has improved over the time I've been here, but it's still a bit nondescript. Slough is much worse though. I also find Oxford strangely depressing despite some impressive architecture and avoid going into London if at all possible - horrible place in most parts.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-10-2016, 07:31 AM
It has improved over the time I've been here, but it's still a bit nondescript. Slough is much worse though. I also find Oxford strangely depressing despite some impressive architecture and avoid going into London if at all possible - horrible place in most parts.

IIRC we paid a wee visit to a nice wee pub in the countryside just outside Caversham called The Cider House, is it still there?

Caversham Green
26-10-2016, 12:27 PM
IIRC we paid a wee visit to a nice wee pub in the countryside just outside Caversham called The Cider House, is it still there?

If it is it's not called The Cider House any more. There's a lot of country pubs round here but I don't know that one.

Hiber-nation
26-10-2016, 12:40 PM
About 8 years ago I stopped at Morecambe for a few hours.
What a dull and dead place it seemed to be. I felt I was in a movie scene about a post nuclear strike.

Back in about 1977 I was on holiday in Morecambe with my mates. We were at the end of the pier disco and when you went for a slash, the pish ran down the plughole in the urinal and straight into the sea.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-10-2016, 01:09 PM
If it is it's not called The Cider House any more. There's a lot of country pubs round here but I don't know that one.

Just had a wee search, there's a Cyder House Inn not far from Camberley that looks familiar, may have got my town/villages mixed up!

#FromTheCapital
26-10-2016, 03:49 PM
Hemel Hempstead isn't up to much. Stranraer takes the crown for me though, ****ing hate the place.

Hemel Hempstead always brings back bad memories for me. I used to do some work for a company based there. Anytime I go back nowadays, it reminds me of the feeling of dread I used to get every time I went down to HQ for a meeting. It's not a particularly bad place and there are some very nice villages in the nearby vicinity, although you're correct that it isn't up to much.

grunt
26-10-2016, 03:58 PM
Watford.

HibbyScott
26-10-2016, 05:22 PM
Ipswich is a dreadful soul destroying place - and my nearest "big" town. Would much rather drive the hour to get to Norwich than the 10 minutes to get to Ipswich!

The Modfather
26-10-2016, 05:55 PM
Whitburn, was there for a funeral for an older generation of the Fiances side a few years ago, wouldn't fancy living there.

Sheffield. Been down the last 6 years for the snooker. The first year we left the hotel and turned left looking for a pub. We didn't know the city centre was to the right, we walked for at least 20 minutes of utter desolation with literally nothing open. Ended up near Brammall Lane and that was a grim area. The immediate environs at The Crucible are nice, don't venture further than that other than the hotel when down.

Another mention is the area between Glasgow airport and the city centre. Had to get a rearranged flight home to Glasgow the year we had the bad snow. Hadn't heard of any of the towns on that line but they all looked like the land that time forgot.

hibs#1
26-10-2016, 06:48 PM

We've been too blackpool a few times over the years anow your right it is a strange place as you say some really nice buildings and plenty to do plus reasonably priced all round but even going on one Street back is pretty grim some real dodgy characters kicking about.
We went on a Saturday last year the place was mobbed,absolutely roasting and filled with stag and hen parties just felt there was real tension in the air sort just waiting for it too all kick off.
Really just come away from the place with a sore head but sort of enjoy it at the same time

As for bad towns in Scotland I'm going Alloa and Callander

rodhibs55
27-10-2016, 12:00 PM
Birkenhead absolute dump

Geo_1875
27-10-2016, 12:39 PM
Barnsley - like a live version of the Jeremy Kyle Show.

Merthyr - As someone said earlier, when towns lose their industry they lose their soul.

Sunderland - only been there for the football but the area around the Stadium of Light is like a setting from an apocalypse movie.

Green Man
27-10-2016, 06:52 PM
Dundee. The first time I ever went there I was aware I was approaching a mass of grey. It didn't get any better. Horrible place.

LancashireHibby
27-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Rhyl, run down seaside down the last time I was there it was an absolute dump.
Worth a revisit, we happened to end up there for a stroll in the summer and they have done a nice job of tarting up the harbour and promenade.

There's a definite link in a lot of these places and now defunct industry. Any number of ex-mill towns in East Lancashire (Blackburn, Burnley, Nelson and the like), the old steel or mining towns in Yorkshire (Doncaster, Featherstone, South Elmsall spring to mind) plus there can be few places that match Motherwell for sheer greyness.

Hibby Bairn
27-10-2016, 07:30 PM
Had the misfortune of having to change trains once in Warrington. Had an hour to spare so went for a wander.

Scary place.

Sylar
27-10-2016, 08:05 PM
Dundee. The first time I ever went there I was aware I was approaching a mass of grey. It didn't get any better. Horrible place.

Oh, it certainly used to be an awful place, but now? Maybe I'm biased because I lived there for a few years but the city I left wasn't recognisable to the city I arrived in.

heretoday
27-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Oh, it certainly used to be an awful place, but now? Maybe I'm biased because I lived there for a few years but the city I left wasn't recognisable to the city I arrived in.

Clearing up that dreadful hotel was a big step. Coming off the TRB is a more pleasant experience. Once all the waterfront and museum are finished Dundee will be even better.

marinello59
27-10-2016, 08:23 PM
Buckie.

overdrive
27-10-2016, 09:22 PM
Wolverhampton is a complete hole of a place. Missed my connection there on my way to Oxford (which as someone else has mentioned isn't that great itself). It was quite late and I had to hang around for another train. It was like being in the land that time forgot. I think I had the only face on show. Everyone else I saw there either had hoodies pulled tight across their face or were wearing a balaclava.

The weird thing was that up until that point I had assumed Wolverhampton must be a nice place as my then boss was from there and was quite posh.

heretoday
27-10-2016, 09:50 PM
S****horpe was a bad place to spend three months working back in 1974.

We used to work every day to get the job finished sooner.

snooky
28-10-2016, 09:07 AM
Maybe not the worst place I've been in but visiting Stornoway was certainly a big disappointment.
Nothing like the picturesque town the song conveyed.

Allant1981
28-10-2016, 04:25 PM
Have the misfortune of living in grangemouth now(nice house though) the place is a hole

Killiehibbie
28-10-2016, 04:38 PM
So many to pick from but i'd nominate Methil.

snooky
28-10-2016, 05:08 PM
So many to pick from but i'd nominate Methil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu5rJe8dghA

:stirrer:

Green Man
30-10-2016, 07:07 AM

Admittedly my view was formed about 15 years ago, so it's good to hear things have improved since then!

Hibby Bairn
30-10-2016, 10:24 AM
Maybe not the worst place I've been in but visiting Stornoway was certainly a big disappointment.
Nothing like the picturesque town the song conveyed.

Very true. Harbour is functional rather than touristy.

Betty Boop
30-10-2016, 02:33 PM
Have been all over the UK and seen some right ****holes, but over the past few weeks I've been in Doncaster for work and this place is almost inexplicably bad. Never have I seen a place so empty and devoid of any semblance of culture. The place and its people feel hopeless. Not that there's anything wrong with having council estates in cities, but this entire town feels like one.

It's also full of absolute radges. I was in work this weekend, and someone ran in off the street and emptied my office whilst I was in another room. Only in Doncaster.

Apologies if anyone from here is from 'Donny', but it's an absolute dive. Maybe I'm just spoiled after growing up in Edinburgh though?

So, any contenders for this award? Heard Rotherham is equally bad.
What's wrong with Council estates like ? You come across as a snob.

snooky
31-10-2016, 08:24 AM
Very true. Harbour is functional rather than touristy.

That's it in a nutshell.

Pretty Boy
31-10-2016, 04:53 PM

Where I grew up we always thought the folk who referred to the scheme as an 'estate' were the snobs :greengrin

stantonhibby
31-10-2016, 06:05 PM
Barrow in Furness is pretty bad

SRHibs
31-10-2016, 06:15 PM
Why do I sound like a snob? If the whole of Edinburgh, including the centre, was like Niddrie/Drylaw/Sighthill, would it be as nice of a place to live as it is now? No. Doncaster is just depressing.

I grew up in a council estate though, and was delighted to move away. Not bothered if that makes me a snob TBQH.

FitbaFolkKen
31-10-2016, 08:24 PM
I see a lot of mentions for Hull, it's actually not that bad! I'm sure it has parts that are horrific but they are certainly doing a fair amount of work on the place for the City of Culture 2017.

Hull doesn't have the apathy that places like Doncaster and Newport seem to have, there is a hopelessness surrounding them that is almost palpable.

#FromTheCapital
31-10-2016, 08:30 PM
I see a lot of mentions for Hull, it's actually not that bad! I'm sure it has parts that are horrific but they are certainly doing a fair amount of work on the place for the City of Culture 2017.

Hull doesn't have the apathy that places like Doncaster and Newport seem to have, there is a hopelessness surrounding them that is almost palpable.

It's an absolute dive, unless they've made radical changes since I was last there about 2 years ago. The town centre was rank, derelict buildings everywhere and a general run-down look.

Sergey
31-10-2016, 08:41 PM

It's an absolute dive, unless they've made radical changes since I was last there about 2 years ago. The town centre was rank, derelict buildings everywhere and a general run-down look.

My father lives on the outskirts of Hull and trust me it has very little going for it. The surrounding villages and towns are equally as grim and they (the locals) also have the misfortune to speak with with an accent that really grates.

If you travel up the coast to Bridlington and Hornsea then you'll see towns with nothing of any note (still not on a par with the Thames Estuary towns for lo-life) - the whole area is a graveyard with little/nothing going for it.

On a plus - Beverley is a most beautiful market town with possibly the best cathedral to be seen in the land. I'm also friendly with the local MP (Graham Stewart) who I studied with and he and I still keep in touch. For all the poverty, it's amazingly a Tory safe-seat.

Pretty Boy
31-10-2016, 08:53 PM
My father lives on the outskirts of Hull and trust me it has very little going for it. The surrounding villages and towns are equally as grim and they (the locals) also have the misfortune to speak with with an accent that really grates.

If you travel up the coast to Bridlington and Hornsea then you'll see towns with nothing of any note (still not on a par with the Thames Estuary towns for lo-life) - the whole area is a graveyard with little/nothing going for it.

On a plus - Beverley is a most beautiful market town with possibly the best cathedral to be seen in the land. I'm also friendly with the local MP (Graham Stewart) who I studied with and he and I still keep in touch. For all the poverty, it's amazingly a Tory safe-seat.

Beverley is a great little town. The racecourse is very pretty.

Jones28
01-11-2016, 04:30 PM
Grimsby. Such an apt name.

I lived in grimhole for a while - and can say that it was a **** hole. It grew on me though, some great nights out in town and cleethropes.

Jones28
01-11-2016, 04:35 PM
Has anyone had the misfortune to visit Kilsyth? Went to view a house there a month or so ago and can honestly say I've never been a place that I've wanted to leave quicker.

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2016, 04:56 PM
Had the pleasure of a few days of work in Doncaster last year, was there for around 7 days in total. The company put us up in the Grand St Ledger right next to the racecourse, rooms were great food was terrific and we went into town a few of the nights and i found it decent.

The 3 of us who were there working all had a great time, and you don't normally associate that with working away.

Of course i live in Blackpool, and wouldn't know a decent town if it bit me on the nose. :greengrin

Not keen on Lockerbie, nothing there apart from a couple of hun pubs and a **** chippy.

DH1875
01-11-2016, 05:12 PM
Has anyone had the misfortune to visit Kilsyth? Went to view a house there a month or so ago and can honestly say I've never been a place that I've wanted to leave quicker.

:agree::agree::agree: Used to travel to Hibs games with a couple of guys from Kilsyth. It's a proper kite hole.

WeeRussell
07-11-2016, 11:50 AM
Luton is by a long way the biggest dump I've ever spent time in. The shopping centre there is like the scene out of "Dawn of the Dead". The percentage of people living there must have the highest rate of social neglect induced mental health issues in the UK. Absolutely depressing.

The Airport isn't the the most fun place to spend 8 hours in either. Trust me. :greengrin

Hibrandenburg
07-11-2016, 01:03 PM
The Airport isn't the the most fun place to spend 8 hours in either. Trust me. :greengrin

I'm forced to spend 5 days every 2nd year there for my job and alternating between Gatwick. I love even numbered years because they are Gatwick years and nearby Crawley is like Eldorado compared to Luton, believe me. :greengrin

lyonhibs
07-11-2016, 01:08 PM
I'm forced to spend 5 days every 2nd year there for my job and alternating between Gatwick. I love even numbered years because they are Gatwick years and nearby Crawley is like Eldorado compared to Luton, believe me. :greengrin

Being obliged by work to go anywhere that renders Gatwick the more attractive option fills my heart with a deep sadness for you. Both terrible airports and I'm not especially surprised to learn the nearby towns are ****holes as well.

Hibrandenburg
07-11-2016, 01:21 PM
Being obliged by work to go anywhere that renders Gatwick the more attractive option fills my heart with a deep sadness for you. Both terrible airports and I'm not especially surprised to learn the nearby towns are ****holes as well.

Seems I'm not alone in my opinion.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/19/its-the-end-of-humanity-luton-is-voted-the-worst-town-in-the-uk-5632960/

P.S. I'm not the paedo :greengrin

IndieHibby
12-11-2016, 12:19 PM

I was going to mention these, until
I saw your post. I work there and it would take some beating to knock it off top spot.
Grim doesn't do it justice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greentinted
14-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Spent some time in Bradford earlier in the year - truly brutal place with zero saving graces. Hated it.
Easily the worst place in the UK I've personally visited. No danger of a return.

Mr_F
14-11-2016, 10:37 PM
Leeds

snooky
14-11-2016, 10:58 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/officially-worst-place-live-uk-6677407

Worst place = no surprise
Best place = no surprise

HappyHanlon
15-11-2016, 11:35 AM
Take yer pick:

Dundee
Broxburn
Carlisle
Blackpool
Sunderland
Paisley

Minging places that should be levelled

Just Jimmy
15-11-2016, 02:22 PM
Take yer pick:

Dundee
Broxburn
Carlisle
Blackpool
Sunderland
Paisley

Dundee isn't even close to deserving of that title. Have you been there since 1999?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

CropleyWasGod
15-11-2016, 03:00 PM
Dundee isn't even close to deserving of that title. Have you been there since 1999?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Indeed.

Variously claims to be the sunniest place in the UK, and the city with the highest proportion of people with degrees.

Still love the old joke, though. "Dundee, City of Discovery. Get there, and discover it's *****...."

pollution
15-11-2016, 04:34 PM
Dundee, the city of the four J's: Journalism, Jute, Jam and Jeez..who'd want to live there?

beensaidbefore
15-11-2016, 05:26 PM
Anyone been to Dewsbury? Not that bad to look at from the outskirts is probably a big selling point!

beensaidbefore
15-11-2016, 05:37 PM
Indeed.

Variously claims to be the sunniest place in the UK, and the city with the highest proportion of people with degrees.

Still love the old joke, though. "Dundee, City of Discovery. Get there, and discover it's *****...."

Passed through many times but never beennto town centre for a day/night out. Going there for a family xmas thing this weekend. Here's hoping its not quite so bad as all that!!😩

Mr White
15-11-2016, 06:04 PM
My sister lived in Dundee for a while about 10 years ago. I always enjoyed visiting and found the locals to be mostly pretty friendly types.

I've often got the impression it's somewhere that people who haven't visited like to slag off to make themselves feel better about their own surroundings.

stoneyburn hibs
15-11-2016, 06:19 PM
Take yer pick:

Dundee
Broxburn
Carlisle
Blackpool
Sunderland
Paisley

Away man. I grew up in north Edinburgh and now live in Broxburn. Half of Edinburgh is worse than Broxburn by a stretch.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-11-2016, 06:47 PM
My sister lived in Dundee for a while about 10 years ago. I always enjoyed visiting and found the locals to be mostly pretty friendly types.

I've often got the impression it's somewhere that people who haven't visited like to slag off to make themselves feel better about their own surroundings.

Indeed, a bit rough round the edges and contains a few nutters, much the same as Carlisle, I've never had a bad experience in either.

HappyHanlon
16-11-2016, 08:47 AM

I've been to Dundee plenty of times - have had nights out there after we've played at Tannadice or Dens Park and it's rancid. Locals are friendly enough, its just the city as a whole. It stinks and is run down.

Away man. I grew up in north Edinburgh and now live in Broxburn. Half of Edinburgh is worse than Broxburn by a stretch.

Broxburn is full of manky huns. There's probably some nice people/houses there but i've only ever encountered the ****my element. The pubs there are avoided.

Mr White
16-11-2016, 09:43 AM
I've been to Dundee plenty of times - have had nights out there after we've played at Tannadice or Dens Park and it's rancid. Locals are friendly enough, its just the city as a whole. It stinks and is run down.

Broxburn is full of manky huns. There's probably some nice people/houses there but i've only ever encountered the ****my element. The pubs there are avoided.

I bet both towns have been absolutely lit up by your sunny disposition each time you've blessed them with your presence :greengrin

HappyHanlon
16-11-2016, 10:07 AM
I bet both towns have been absolutely lit up by your sunny disposition each time you've blessed them with your presence :greengrin

Happy go lucky with a dash of Edinburgh snobbery :)

Mr White
16-11-2016, 10:10 AM
Happy go lucky with a dash of Edinburgh snobbery :)

:greengrin

lord bunberry
16-11-2016, 11:16 AM
This thread is brutal. I grew up in leith in the late 80s/90s and it had the reputation as being an awful place, but nothing could've been further from the truth. People make towns and cities what they are and while Edinburgh may be pretty to look at, there's a huge number of arse holes living here.

--------
17-11-2016, 10:42 AM
Any of the Lanarkshire towns deserve a mention, particularly Airdrie. Also once spent a childhood family holiday just outside Great Yarmouth. No idea what's so great about it. The seaside resort side of the town was OK I guess, though looking a bit tired, but then you walk a bit along the sea-front and find yourself in the middle of an industrial port. Beautiful.

Rubbish. I moved to Lanarkshire 15 years ago and I've never regretted it.

One of the nicest things about them is that they don't get snobby about other people's home towns.

Great Yarmouth's an industrial port? Shocking! So was Leith back in the day ...

Mibbes Aye
18-11-2016, 08:19 PM
Take yer pick:

Dundee
Broxburn
Carlisle
Blackpool
Sunderland
Paisley

Dundee's changed a lot for the better in recent years and is continuing to, especially around the riverside. I think it gets an unfair bad press. Add to the development work that it's got a big student population, which brings its own influence to the city's culture.

I feel a bit sorry for Paisley. That central spot, where you have the Abbey and the Town Hall in close proximity is one of the most striking public/civic spaces in Scotland IMO, especially given the size and circumstances of the town. The centre of Paisley itself has an incredible amount of listed architecture and I think the town has made its fair share to the broad history of Scotland.

The flipside is the undoubted levels of deprivation and what appears to be decades of neglect at a planning level.

With its location so close to what Glasgow has to offer, I think it has great potential. I'd be delighted to see it succeed for the City of Culture status in 2021 as it would hopefully bring the investment and attention that could return it to the glories it experienced 100-150 years ago.

beensaidbefore
24-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Dundee's changed a lot for the better in recent years and is continuing to, especially around the riverside. I think it gets an unfair bad press. Add to the development work that it's got a big student population, which brings its own influence to the city's culture.

I feel a bit sorry for Paisley. That central spot, where you have the Abbey and the Town Hall in close proximity is one of the most striking public/civic spaces in Scotland IMO, especially given the size and circumstances of the town. The centre of Paisley itself has an incredible amount of listed architecture and I think the town has made its fair share to the broad history of Scotland.

The flipside is the undoubted levels of deprivation and what appears to be decades of neglect at a planning level.

With its location so close to what Glasgow has to offer, I think it has great potential. I'd be delighted to see it succeed for the City of Culture status in 2021 as it would hopefully bring the investment and attention that could return it to the glories it experienced 100-150 years ago.

Was there at the weekend. Was actually not to bad, loads and loads of new buildings going up at the waterfront and very easy to drive on brand new well thought out roads.

Hermit Crab
28-11-2016, 08:46 AM
Preston, absolute dive

Warrington, see above

Crewe, see above.

GlesgaeHibby
28-11-2016, 11:59 AM
Rochdale and the entire surrounding area near Manchester (Blackburn, Burnley etc.) has got to be the most depressing places going. I had the misfortune of having to visit the area regularly last year with work and every time it was truly ghastly. Grey and miserable every time, couldn't wait to escape.

Jim44
28-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Rochdale and the entire surrounding area near Manchester (Blackburn, Burnley etc.) has got to be the most depressing places going. I had the misfortune of having to visit the area regularly last year with work and every time it was truly ghastly. Grey and miserable every time, couldn't wait to escape.

........ and it's also had to put up with two of the sleasiest British MPs in the past ten years.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-11-2016, 01:56 PM
Preston, absolute dive

Warrington, see above

Crewe, see above.

I like Preston, not really sure why though!