PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Cubs do a Hibs!

PatHead
23-10-2016, 09:53 AM
Got to the final of the world series which they have not won since 1908.

Thecat23
23-10-2016, 09:56 AM
Mon the Cubs!!!

lucky
23-10-2016, 10:04 AM
I know nothing about baseball but I hope they do it. Mon the cubs, even though they play in red, white & blue

lugz
23-10-2016, 10:13 AM
Kris Bryant at the bottom of the 9th to win the world series.

snooky
23-10-2016, 10:17 AM
In US terms, they Cubsed it?

Oscar T Grouch
23-10-2016, 10:17 AM
Did the Cubs not win the WS back in the 30/40s?

calumhibee1
23-10-2016, 10:22 AM
Is the World Series a best of 7 event?

Frazerbob
23-10-2016, 10:23 AM
Hope their fans invade the diamond if they win it!

Ryan91
23-10-2016, 10:25 AM
Is the World Series a best of 7 event?

Yes, best of 7 series

neil7908
23-10-2016, 10:33 AM

They got to the final in 1945 but haven't won it since 1908.

Baseball definitely isn't my sport but I saw the Cubs play a few years ago so always keep an eye on their results.

I have no idea if they are underdogs or favourites going into the final but after our win last year I hope they can keep going and lift their own curse.

lugz
23-10-2016, 10:35 AM

They last got to the world series in the 40s they won it in 1907 & 1908.

At least we've been knocking at the door in recent times before this year they've no even made a final in over 70 years haha. With us winning the cup, Cleveland winning a championship I think they'll follow suit and win it.

Oscar T Grouch
23-10-2016, 10:40 AM
Wow no even a final since 1945. Glad they've won it then. I've always found baseball to be interesting but the stats and lingo confuse me no end.

Galahibby
23-10-2016, 10:45 AM
The Indians were impressive in the ALCS. Seemed to want it more than the Jays and, apart from one game, their pitchers were unplayable. The Cubs will do well to beat them, although the bookies have them as favourites.

jodjam
23-10-2016, 10:45 AM
I had a couple of Cubs fans on tour this year. We hadn't spoke about sport but when they said they were fans I mentioned their long run. They replied that there used to be a Scots football team with a longer run than theirs. I thought it was great they knew about Hibs and were happy for our success. I hope they win it

Jumbo
23-10-2016, 11:04 AM
The Indians haven't won it since the 40's so one of them going to end a long barren spell !

WHAM
23-10-2016, 11:25 AM
My old boy lives across there now. Was saying everyone is going mad about it and there are cubs "W" (win) flags getting put up outside houses in the neighbourhoods.

Apparently they were cursed by a gypsy as well. He has been telling the locals about our curse and us finally breaking the hoodoo this year.

Actually makes you think when the harp/badge was only finally put back on the stadium last October or something. The 1st season and we go and win the bloody thing. If only we had done it sooner. GGTTH

scoopyboy
23-10-2016, 11:36 AM
My old boy lives across there now. Was saying everyone is going mad about it and there are cubs "W" (win) flags getting put up outside houses in the neighbourhoods.

Apparently they were cursed by a gypsy as well. He has been telling the locals about our curse and us finally breaking the hoodoo this year.

Actually makes you think when the harp/badge was only finally put back on the stadium last October or something. The 1st season and we go and win the bloody thing. If only we had done it sooner. GGTTH

Your old boy was the first thing I thought of when I read the title of the thread.

G B Young
23-10-2016, 11:38 AM
I saw the Cubs play many years ago and have had a soft spot for them since. Didn't realise they were so Hibs-like though!

For anyone that knows more about baseball, do fans of the Chicago White Sox have a Hearts-Hibs type rivalry with the Cubs and revel in the 108 year famine or is the whole of the city celebrating?

Bishop Hibee
23-10-2016, 12:01 PM
Western Bulldogs won the AFL Grand Final for the first time in about 60 years in Oz. Only second win in their history. Add Hibs and Leicester and maybe it's the Cubs year.

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2016, 12:10 PM
Never thought it was any good as a game, went to one in Los Angeles once, they played New York and it just looked like a glorified game of rounders.

The only thing i really remember about the game was the orchestrated stops for a wee sing song (take me back to the ball game)??????

And a punch up in the stand with a couple of guys, that seemed to go on for ages with no police or stewards available to break it up?

Sas_The_Hibby
23-10-2016, 12:20 PM
Never thought it was any good as a game, went to one in Los Angeles once, they played New York and it just looked like a glorified game of rounders.

The only thing i really remember about the game was the orchestrated stops for a wee sing song (take me back to the ball game)??????

And a punch up in the stand with a couple of guys, that seemed to go on for ages with no police or stewards available to break it up?

Not any good as a game???

Any game with a good punch up in the stands - as long as I'm not involved! :wink: - is good enough for me :greengrin

southsider
23-10-2016, 12:21 PM
Went to a game once in NJ and it was like watching paint dry. The beer & hotdogs were great tho. They even brought them to your seat. Told the lad bringing the beer to come back every 15 minutes with 6 more. Ended up signing Hibs songs after about 4 beers. The Yanks were amazed.

hibby6270
23-10-2016, 12:33 PM
Would love to see the Cubs beat the Indians after Cleveland beat "my team" the Blue Jays in the ALCS play-off.
Another sporting 100+ years hoodoo being broken in 2016 would be great.

NAE NOOKIE
23-10-2016, 12:35 PM
Baseball is a wee bit like Cricket where you have to understand the subtleties of the game to really appreciate it ...... I've watched a few games on the TV and I have to say if you cant appreciate a double or ( pretty rare ) triple play then you don't appreciate excellence in sport.

Anyway .... good luck to the Cubs, though it looks like the Indians have their own hoodoo to bust so it would be hard to grudge them a win as well.

As I understand it unlike the NFL where the winners ludicrously refer to themselves as 'world champions' the 'world series' is called that because the original concept was thought up, or at least sponsored by, a newspaper called 'the world' ... hence 'the world series'

WHAM
23-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Your old boy was the first thing I thought of when I read the title of the thread.

Not long off the phone to him.

The Chicago Hibs Supporters Club is still in the planning. He really needs to start posting on here to gauge if there is many other hibbies across there except himself and Irvine Welsh 😄

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2016, 12:45 PM
Not any good as a game???

Any game with a good punch up in the stands - as long as I'm not involved! :wink: - is good enough for me :greengrin

I much prefer my punch ups done properly on the park AFTER the game has finished. :greengrin

Baader
23-10-2016, 12:51 PM
The Curse of the Billy Goat isn't it?

Well worth a read!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Billy_Goat

Wilson
23-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Despite the nonsense talk of curses - which gets my goat if you pardon the expression - I still hope the Cubs do it.

Anyone who appreciates hibs' or leicester's heroics can surely appreciate how significant a result it would be.

CropleyWasGod
23-10-2016, 01:10 PM
For those fans of the Blues Brothers.....it would be special.

1060 West Addison:)

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

1875STEVE
23-10-2016, 02:05 PM
Cmon the Cubs!!

Lago
23-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Got to the final of the world series which they have not won since 1908.
Only in America can you have a world series between 2 teams playinging in .....America

CropleyWasGod
23-10-2016, 02:14 PM
Only in America can you have a world series between 2 teams playinging in .....America
Only in America do you have the New York World....after whom the series is said to have been named.

Onceinawhile
23-10-2016, 02:23 PM
Only in America do you have the New York World....after whom the series is said to have been named.

Indeed. "the world" newspaper originally sponsored it, hence "the world series".

Also, it's not their fault if the Canadian team don't make the final.

Scott Allan Key
23-10-2016, 02:34 PM
Bill Murray supports the Cubs. I could live the 21st of May every day for 100 odd years and never grow tired.

Pete
23-10-2016, 02:35 PM
Cubs v Indians.

I wonder who the vast majority of native Americans will be supporting. :hmmm:

Haymaker
23-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Indeed. "the world" newspaper originally sponsored it, hence "the world series".

Also, it's not their fault if the Canadian team don't make the final.

Not correct, it didn't sponsor it. It's a myth. It's most likely known as the World Series (the trophy is actually the Commissioners Trophy) as it was expected to expand worldwide to include other countries and it stuck.

The major league teams are in north America however the game is played in many areas and the league is multi national.

Pete
23-10-2016, 02:54 PM
I saw the Cubs play many years ago and have had a soft spot for them since. Didn't realise they were so Hibs-like though!

For anyone that knows more about baseball, do fans of the Chicago White Sox have a Hearts-Hibs type rivalry with the Cubs and revel in the 108 year famine or is the whole of the city celebrating?

Somebody might correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think white sox fans will be wanting them to win. It's a rivalry but the fiercest rivalries tend to be between teams from different cities (fans of the Yankees are more bothered about the Boston Red sox than their neighbours the Mets)
The St. Louis Cardinals fans will be giving them it tighter than anyone for some reason.

Haymaker
23-10-2016, 02:56 PM
Somebody might correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think white sox fans will be wanting them to win. It's a rivalry but the fiercest rivalries tend to be between teams from different cities (fans of the Yankees are more bothered about the Boston Red sox than their neighbours the Mets)
The St. Louis Cardinals fans will be giving them it tighter than anyone for some reason.

Teams from the same city tend not to play in the same league. They'll be rivalry but nothing like we have.

NAE NOOKIE
23-10-2016, 02:59 PM
Cubs v Indians.

lol ........ not the Indians that's for sure, of late the original inhabitants of North America have been pretty direct in giving their opinion of what they think of sports clubs calling themselves things like Redskins, Braves and Indians.

Pete
23-10-2016, 04:00 PM
lol ........ not the Indians that's for sure, of late the original inhabitants of North America have been pretty direct in giving their opinion of what they think of sports clubs calling themselves things like Redskins, Braves and Indians.

Indeed, and I think that Cleveland recently won another court case. I'm not that familiar with American culture but I don't know how as they're basically using a gollywog as one of their badges.

danhibees1875
23-10-2016, 05:28 PM

Someone read the pointless information thread in the dug out yesterday :wink:

hibsbollah
23-10-2016, 05:33 PM

Correct. The Cardinals are the Cubs biggest rivals, the White Sox are local rivals but no real animosity, they are from the south of the City, more working class and urban. The Cubs have a broader geographical support and a lot of people attach to them because of the lovable losers thing.

Dashing Bob S
23-10-2016, 05:39 PM
Correct. The Cardinals are the Cubs biggest rivals, the White Sox are local rivals but no real animosity, they are from the south of the City, more working class and urban. The Cubs have a broader geographical support and a lot of people attach to them because of the lovable losers thing.

Cubs also get the suburban day trippers and tourists who come in because it's an old ballpark. Also they play a lot of games in the afternoon and people bunk off from offices Thursday and Friday, party in the bars on Clark Street and cruise each other.

hibsbollah
23-10-2016, 05:44 PM
Cubs also get the suburban day trippers and tourists who come in because it's an old ballpark. Also they play a lot of games in the afternoon and people bunk off from offices Thursday and Friday, party in the bars on Clark Street and cruise each other.

...that's because Cubs fans, like Hibs fans, are demonstrably more attractive and well kitted out:thumbsup:

NYHibby
23-10-2016, 06:39 PM

For anyone who is younger, teams from the different leagues didn't play against each other in the regular season until 20 years ago. The cubs and the soxs went 90 years without playing each other. Even now they don't play every year.

Baseball also doesn't carry the tribalism baggage that Scottish football does.

givescotlandfreedom
23-10-2016, 06:49 PM
I hope they do it, if nothing else to provide inspiration to our massive, hugely successful neighbours who haven't won the league cup since 1962.

Lago
23-10-2016, 06:50 PM
Not correct, it didn't sponsor it. It's a myth. It's most likely known as the World Series (the trophy is actually the Commissioners Trophy) as it was expected to expand worldwide to include other countries and it stuck.

The major league teams are in north America however the game is played in many areas and the league is multi national.
Thanks for debunking another urban mith.:agree:

Mikey09
23-10-2016, 10:15 PM
World Series that is played by professional American teams?! Says everything about the yanks that they name it the "World Series!" :faf:

heretoday
23-10-2016, 11:00 PM
World Series that is played by professional American teams?! Says everything about the yanks that they name it the "World Series!" :faf:

Oh well. The Tour de France went through Harrogate last time I think. What's in a name?

Haymaker
23-10-2016, 11:49 PM

And Canadian.

In a league filled with players from the Caribbean, central, south America, Japan, Korea...

_hucks_
24-10-2016, 01:01 AM
Oh well. The Tour de France went through Harrogate last time I think. What's in a name?

The Tour has a grand depart every year, usually in another country, but it certainly is a Tour of France, spending most of the 3 weeks there. The World Series is a little less aptly named as it's only ever teams from the USA and Canada, despite baseball being a huge sport in Mexico, Cuba, Japan and many other countries.

Tobias Funke
24-10-2016, 01:05 AM
Chicago Bears are my NFL team so I'll be very happy to see the Cubs win the World Series!

Septimus
24-10-2016, 05:47 AM
It is a game of great skill and tactical nous. Stand behind a catcher and see how the pitcher can bend the ball in the air. I used to watch in Yokohama and it was a really good evening's entertainment.

Waxy
24-10-2016, 07:32 AM
Whens the final? Where is it played. Rampden park?

southfieldhibby
24-10-2016, 08:11 AM
Wrigley Field looks pretty cool, houses across the street from the ground have built stands on their roofs, I assume with permission from The Cubs?

Mikey09
24-10-2016, 08:37 AM
And Canadian.

In a league filled with players from the Caribbean, central, south America, Japan, Korea...

Nothing against the sport itself just more of a wee dig at the yanks way of thinking that's all. Going to the states in 2018 and travelling by train from San Francisco to New York for 3 weeks so plan on taking in all there major sports including baseball. More looking forward to an NHL game though!! :aok:

Onceinawhile
24-10-2016, 10:36 AM
Personally I hope they do it just so that I can spend my time passive aggressively going:

Since 1907? Pffft that's nothing.

WeeRussell
24-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Cubbbbssssssyyyyy, Cubbbbsssssyyyyyy.

blaird03
24-10-2016, 11:46 AM
'mon the Cubbage ;)

GreenLake
24-10-2016, 12:40 PM

The Toronto Blue Jays play too. :greengrin

PatHead
27-10-2016, 07:43 PM
Series tied after 2 games. The dream is still on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/baseball/37784806

Haymaker
27-10-2016, 08:18 PM

Was a great game, winning in Cleveland and taking it back to Chicago.

Dashing Bob S
27-10-2016, 09:37 PM

They'll win it. Cleveland won't win a another game without Klubber as starting pitcher and he will only start two more, probably game 4 and game 7, if there is one, which I doubt.

I think they'll do well to avoid being swept at Wrigleyville.

SuperAllyMcleod
27-10-2016, 10:26 PM

Not sure how true it is but someone posted on the useless facts thread that it's called The World Series because it was originally set up, or sponsored, by a newspaper called The World.

I had always thought it was a yank superiority complex up until I read that.

snooky
27-10-2016, 10:29 PM
'mon the Cubbage ;)

Brilliant! 10/10

Haymaker
28-10-2016, 12:16 AM
Not sure how true it is but someone posted on the useless facts thread that it's called The World Series because it was originally set up, or sponsored, by a newspaper called The World.

I had always thought it was a yank superiority complex up until I read that.

And isn't true. There is no evidence that the world newspaper had anything to do with baseball except printing the scores of games.

Pete
28-10-2016, 07:26 AM
a lot of people attach to them because of the lovable losers thing.

That's why I look out for them If I'm being honest...and the whole similarity with ourselves pre-2016.

I'm having trouble with the whole red, white and blue thing though and they seem to be becoming a bit of a beast.

I reserve my right to be extremely fickle and revert back to being a Tampa Bay Rays fan. Not sure I'll wear my cap to ER with those initials though. :-(

Callyballybe
28-10-2016, 04:55 PM
'mon the Cubbage ;)

Haha! Just cracked up on the train reading that. Lol

ardecos
28-10-2016, 06:34 PM
That's why I look out for them If I'm being honest...and the whole similarity with ourselves pre-2016.

I'm having trouble with the whole red, white and blue thing though and they seem to be becoming a bit of a beast.

I reserve my right to be extremely fickle and revert back to being a Tampa Bay Rays fan. Not sure I'll wear my cap to ER with those initials though. :-(

Ah, but the Rays do play in a good shade of green.

StokePogesHibs
28-10-2016, 06:50 PM
Hibbies and Cubbies......2016 is our year GGTTH and GGTTC

Pete
29-10-2016, 01:58 AM
Ah, but the Rays do play in a good shade of green.

:greengrin Not quite got that Rangers vibe thing going on though.

GreenLake
29-10-2016, 02:49 AM
'mon the Cubbage ;)

:faf::top marks

GreenLake
29-10-2016, 02:56 AM
Hibbies and Cubbies......2016 is our year GGTTH and GGTTC

There were a lot of Dodgers fans talking about losing to the Cubs then about the Cubs not winning since 1908. Now they all know about Hibernian not winning the Scottish Cup since 1902 and that we won it in 2016.

None of them had heard of Hearts but I explained in detail how they cheated for years and stole from pensioners and charities.

Hibernian FC, the famous team from Edinburgh.

Pete
29-10-2016, 04:48 AM
They'll win it. Cleveland won't win a another game without Klubber as starting pitcher and he will only start two more, probably game 4 and game 7, if there is one, which I doubt.

I think they'll do well to avoid being swept at Wrigleyville.

Cleveland shut out the Cubs on their own patch to take a 2-1 lead.

Being a hibs fan, you really should know better. :greengrin

Edit: This is sort of like Kenny Millar equalising. Cleveland winning the next game would be like Andy Halliday making it "safe".

PatHead
30-10-2016, 07:02 PM
Not looking good. Cleveland 3 1 up now. Cubs need a David Gray of their own.

Kavinho
30-10-2016, 07:12 PM
How long is the cubs winless streak?

I've no affiliation, but theres a part of me that wants to see another club, of any sport, match and go past the 114 number. .

PatHead
30-10-2016, 07:14 PM
How long is the cubs winless streak?

I've no affiliation, but theres a part of me that wants to see another club, of any sport, match and go past the 114 number. .

Only a mere 108 years.

Dashing Bob S
30-10-2016, 07:28 PM
Cleveland shut out the Cubs on their own patch to take a 2-1 lead.

Being a hibs fan, you really should know better. :greengrin

Edit: This is sort of like Kenny Millar equalising. Cleveland winning the next game would be like Andy Halliday making it "safe".

Yes, I totally underrated their ability to **** things up.

StokePogesHibs
31-10-2016, 04:35 AM
3-2 after a cubs win tonight. Cubs have to come from behind with 2 late goals to win....sound familiar....

Callyballybe
31-10-2016, 07:52 AM
When is the next match? Wouldn't mind keeping an eye on it.

Go on the Cubs!

SlatefordHibby
31-10-2016, 08:01 AM
When is the next match? Wouldn't mind keeping an eye on it.

Go on the Cubs!

Wednesday morning (1am) I think. Never mind Chicago doing a hibs, will Cleveland do a hearts? If they mess it up from 3-1 up it will surely be their 1986.

HibernianJK
31-10-2016, 08:21 PM
As a Reds fan, I certainly hope they don't win it.

The Cubs media love in is almost as sickening as the Old Firm version over here.

Catch 22 is that Cleveland happens to be Cincinnati's state rival, but as previously mentioned, it's more of a divisions rivalry than geographical.

Green Reaper
31-10-2016, 08:39 PM
Being as the wife is from Cleveland I am hoping the Indians go on to win it

HoboHarry
31-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Being as the wife is from Cleveland I am hoping the Indians go on to win it

My boy lives in Cleveland and having moved there from Kansas City this year he could be in the winning city for the second year in a row.

Renfrew_Hibby
31-10-2016, 09:25 PM
Know nothing of baseball but I always liked the Chicago White Sox (cool name I thought) so hope the cubs get pumped.

Renfrew_Hibby
31-10-2016, 09:29 PM
Know nothing of baseball but I always liked the Chicago White Sox (cool name I thought) so hope the cubs get pumped.

Also Cubs are from the north side of town, boring just like the hearts fandans and the White Sox reside in the action packed mean streets of the south side! World Series winners about 10 years ago. (Obamas team also)

G B Young
31-10-2016, 10:03 PM
Also Cubs are from the north side of town, boring just like the hearts fandans and the White Sox reside in the action packed mean streets of the south side! World Series winners about 10 years ago. (Obamas team also)

Well the south side of Chicago
Is the baddest part of town
And if you go down there
You'd better just beware
Of a man named Leroy Brown...

A song which always comes to mind when I hear the south side of Chicago mentioned as it used to blast from my parents' record player way back when. Not sure if he was the first to sing it but it was a Sinatra version they played.

In saying all that, I'm not sure your Hearts/Cubs comparison bears scrutiny. Hearts are actually from the west of Edinburgh and Hibs are if anything closer to the north of the city than they are. The Sox have always struck me as colder, harder to warm to compared to the Cubs and indeed I'm pretty sure they once brought disgrace on themselves and baseball by throwing the World Series for cash inducements. They were known thereafter as the Black Sox. An echo of our cheating football rivals across the city perhaps?

proud_and_green
01-11-2016, 02:11 AM
And if you go down there
You'd better just beware

A song which always comes to mind when I hear the south side of Chicago mentioned as it used to blast from my parents' record player way back when. Not sure if he was the first to sing it but it was a Sinatra version they played.

In saying all that, I'm not sure your Hearts/Cubs comparison bears scrutiny. Hearts are actually from the west of Edinburgh and Hibs are if anything closer to the north of the city than they are. The Sox have always struck me as colder, harder to warm to compared to the Cubs and indeed I'm pretty sure they once brought disgrace on themselves and baseball by throwing the World Series for cash inducements. They were known thereafter as the Black Sox. An echo of our cheating football rivals across the city perhaps?
"say it ain't so Joe'. 1919 world series.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

heid the baw
01-11-2016, 11:11 AM
And if you go down there
You'd better just beware

Written and performed first by the late, great Jim Croche

Geo_1875
01-11-2016, 11:53 AM

Jim Croce?

calumhibee1
01-11-2016, 12:14 PM
Is this on BT?

flash
01-11-2016, 12:19 PM

Is that Jim Croche from Nitten?

Centre Hawf
02-11-2016, 01:09 AM
If anyone is interested, Cubs are currently leading 7-0 and it's all but certain to go to Game 7 tomorrow. Injury time if you will :greengrin.

Lex7zero
02-11-2016, 01:12 AM
7 0 for the Cubs tonight after 3rd innings. Yup with a score like that they are definitely doing a Hibs. Come on the Cubs

Callyballybe
02-11-2016, 08:01 AM
Fair play to them. I find myself in the mornings just now checking the baseball score (for the first time ever!) What a final game that'll prove to be. Go on the Cubs!

snooky
02-11-2016, 09:54 AM
7 0 for the Cubs tonight after 3rd innings. Yup with a score like that they are definitely doing a Hibs. Come on the Cubs

Great score. Hard to believe two teams at the same level can produce a result like that. Has this ever happened before?
Go Cubs Go!

GreenLake
02-11-2016, 11:55 AM
Great score. Hard to believe two teams at the same level can produce a result like that. Has this ever happened before?
Go Cubs Go!

In 2004 the Red Sox won for the first time since 1918. They beat the NY Yankees 4-3 after being 0-3 down and then went on to beat the ST Louis Cardinals in the World Series Championship.

jgl07
02-11-2016, 12:16 PM
I have seen the White Sox play twice.

We were in California many years back. Hibs started the season with a Chick Charnly winner against Celtic. By the end of the season Celtic were champions and Hibs were relegated! The two Baseball matches were on either side of the Hibs win over Celtic.

The first match was, while we're were staying in Los Angeles, at Annaheim with White Sox being the visitors. A week later we had moved on to San Francisco and went to a match at Oakland. Guess who the visitors were? Yes it was the White Sox.

I can't remember the scores but I seem to recall that the home team won on both occasions.

Baader
02-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Is this on BT?

BT Sport 1 at 11.45 tonight. The decider!

Higgy115
02-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Went to 2 games at Wrigley in August when over there, a magnificent sporting venue with amazing atmosphere.

Convinced all the Cubbies fans over there that this was their year.

This World Series though has seriously f****d my sleep pattern.

calumhibee1
02-11-2016, 01:35 PM
BT Sport 1 at 11.45 tonight. The decider!

Might give it a watch, hate baseball but would love to see the scenes if they win it!

Auckland Hibs
02-11-2016, 02:29 PM
Arrived in Chicago last night - caught the last hour of the game & certainly looking forward to the decider later!!

Centre Hawf
02-11-2016, 02:44 PM
It's been a great Series at times, last nights Grandslam was the first in a Game 6 or 7 since the 40's I believe and only the 18th in World Series history. Hopefully we're in for another cracker tonight.

calumhibee1
02-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Arrived in Chicago last night - caught the last hour of the game & certainly looking forward to the decider later!!

I'm sure you'll have an incredible night if they win it!

Pretty Boy
02-11-2016, 05:34 PM
I hope no Cubs fans invade the diamond if they win.

They'll have to have an emergency response team on alert in Govan just in case peacekeeping duties are required.

KNBE
02-11-2016, 07:01 PM
Only really got into baseball a year or two ago, but I've got completely hooked on this World Series. Really hope the Cubs do it after pulling it back to 3-3. They've even got a good song too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLAiHX5RHic

Wee Scottie Dug
03-11-2016, 12:08 AM
Lead off HR to start this one ..... 1-0 to the cubbies ...... Could be a great game !

Auckland Hibs
03-11-2016, 12:53 AM
Lead off HR to start this one ..... 1-0 to the cubbies ...... Could be a great game !

Cubs making some stupid mistakes!

1 - 1 at the moment

Centre Hawf
03-11-2016, 01:06 AM
For anyone watching Dexter Fowlers leadoff home run is the first ever in a Game 7 im World Series history.

Higgy115
03-11-2016, 01:13 AM
Cubs making some stupid mistakes!

1 - 1 at the moment

Best fielder in baseball has made 2 errors already, pressure is incredible.

HoboHarry
03-11-2016, 01:15 AM
Zobrist getting it done like he did with the Royals last year.

Baader
03-11-2016, 01:20 AM
Big innings for Cubs here. Tense and mistakes taking their toll

Higgy115
03-11-2016, 01:28 AM
Big innings for Cubs here. Tense and mistakes taking their toll

Great inning, Hendricks looks the calmest out there.

Higgy115
03-11-2016, 01:30 AM
That's how to atone for 2 errors you beauty.....

Baader
03-11-2016, 01:33 AM
Great inning, Hendricks looks the calmest out there.

Cubs looking good! To end over a century of waiting by coming back from being 3-1 down in the series would be quite something. Last minute header from a corner?!

Auckland Hibs
03-11-2016, 01:44 AM
Smashing it now 5 - 1

Pete
03-11-2016, 01:47 AM
How have Kluber and Miller been pitching? I'm not watching but this isn't like them.

Feeling a bit bad for the Indians because if they lose this they haven't half chucked it away.

hibby6270
03-11-2016, 01:52 AM
Don't you just hate having to see that scoreline (unless you refer to March 2007).
Cubs keep edging ahead. Hope they keep it going.
Noticed there seems to be a lot more Cubs fans in the crowd than last night. Do they have to allow more in for a Game 7?

Higgy115
03-11-2016, 01:53 AM
Don't you just hate having to see that scoreline (unless you refer to March 2007).
Cubs keep edging ahead. Hope they keep it going.
Noticed there seems to be a lot more Cubs fans in the crowd than last night. Do they have to allow more in for a Game 7?

They just paid fortunes for tickets on stubhub to hopefully see history in the making.

Higgy115
03-11-2016, 01:55 AM
How have Kluber and Miller been pitching? I'm not watching but this isn't like them.

Feeling a bit bad for the Indians because if they lose this they haven't half chucked it away.

Kluber never struck 1 out probably for the first time in career, great running and a couple of homers got the runs.

Baader
03-11-2016, 01:59 AM
Interesting. Indians back in it.

Auckland Hibs
03-11-2016, 02:01 AM
5 -3 Indians back in the game

Pete
03-11-2016, 02:07 AM
At least it isn't 5-1 any more.

It doesn't matter how you feel about Cheif Wahoo, nobody wants to see Cleveland killed as a club.

Higgy115
03-11-2016, 02:09 AM
Go grandad....

Wee Scottie Dug
03-11-2016, 02:12 AM
5 -3 Indians back in the game

Shocking substitution .... The young pitcher Hendricks was doing just fine ...... The Cubs hitters will probably just edge it for them though ... IMO of course! Probably gonna miss the last rites of the game as heading out for dinner at 8pm California time ....... :greengrin

Centre Hawf
03-11-2016, 02:15 AM
This has been unbelievable at times.

Onion
03-11-2016, 02:36 AM
Great game, Cubbies have done their homework and got best of the Indian pitchers. Amazing comeback.

Galahibby
03-11-2016, 03:05 AM
Feeling it for those fans. This could only be better if the Indians pitcher in the 9th was called Henderson :wink:

Galahibby
03-11-2016, 03:15 AM
FFS! What a game!!

Higgy115
03-11-2016, 03:18 AM
FFS! What a game!!

The wheels are coming off.

Galahibby
03-11-2016, 03:25 AM
The wheels are coming off.

They're going to Cubs It! ©

Auckland Hibs
03-11-2016, 03:36 AM
It's going Pete Tong!!

Onion
03-11-2016, 03:45 AM
Cubs coach has messed up giving Indians chance they should never have had. Amazing game.

Onion
03-11-2016, 03:46 AM
Chapman has lost it.

Centre Hawf
03-11-2016, 03:53 AM
Extra innings!

Higgy115
03-11-2016, 03:55 AM
Extra innings!

I thought I would get at least 3 hours kip, ain't happening now.

Baader
03-11-2016, 03:56 AM
Cubs held their nerve in the bottom of the 9th. Whoever wins the other lot have blown it!

Damn the weather. I'm probably going to have to give this up now. Hope the Cubs can do it.

Auckland Hibs
03-11-2016, 04:00 AM
You could cut the tension with a knife here in Chicago!!!!

Galahibby
03-11-2016, 04:01 AM
Bloody rain delay now. Work may be a pointless gesture later.

mikewynne
03-11-2016, 04:25 AM
Cubs looking good now!

Higgy115
03-11-2016, 04:25 AM
You could cut the tension with a knife here in Chicago!!!!

So jealous you are there, they will party for a month if they hold on here.

GreenLake
03-11-2016, 04:28 AM
Have not watched a game since the Red Sox broke their curse but this is quite a contest.

Auckland Hibs
03-11-2016, 04:28 AM
Cubs are staying at my hotel - after party starts at 4:00am apparently, not sure I'll make it

Higgy115
03-11-2016, 04:46 AM
Cubs are staying at my hotel - after party starts at 4:00am apparently, not sure I'll make it

They might not either!!!!

Man Down Under
03-11-2016, 04:49 AM
Cubs have hibsed it. In 'extra time' too.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk

Auckland Hibs
03-11-2016, 04:49 AM
Done!

GreenLake
03-11-2016, 04:52 AM
Can't imagine how they feel winning a trophy after 108 years.

Galahibby
03-11-2016, 04:54 AM
Absolutely amazing! So many similarities to ourselves. I hope they know how to celebrate like Hibbies too :flag:

Onion
03-11-2016, 04:58 AM
Wow, that was sensational. Can't imagine how that feels :greengrin

Galahibby
03-11-2016, 04:58 AM
Wow, that was sensational. Can't imagine how that feels :greengrin

:greengrin

neil7908
03-11-2016, 05:02 AM
Great result and delighted got them - I wish I'd stuck some money on it now!

Centre Hawf
03-11-2016, 05:10 AM
Well done Cubs. It was never going to be a straight forward series or a straight forward game if they were to ever do it. Well worth staying up for but I am glad to see my bed.

You've no win the Big Series since 2016.

Leithenhibby
03-11-2016, 05:24 AM
Exuberance in Chicago... :wink:

SouthMoroccoStu
03-11-2016, 06:23 AM
108 years. Is that all!?

Thecat23
03-11-2016, 06:26 AM
Well done the cubs. 👍🏼👍🏼

PompeyHibs
03-11-2016, 06:29 AM
Thats some set of results in sport this year for the underdogs - 🏆🏆🏆

1. Hibs Scottish cup win
2. Leicester EPL
3. The Bulldogs (Auzzie rules - AFL)
4. The Sharks (Oz Rugby league)
5. Cubs (World series baseball)
6. Portugal (Euro's)

NthCarolinaHibs
03-11-2016, 06:40 AM
Well done Cubs.....any news on the release date of the DVD...

macca70
03-11-2016, 06:50 AM
Well done Cubs.....any news on the release date of the DVD...

It can be pre ordered for a fiver extra and you'll get it a couple of days after everyone else.

#cubshavehibsedit

lucky
03-11-2016, 07:40 AM
Hibs have just congratulated the cubs on twitter with the hash tag #persevered. Not sure they'll know about us or our wait but a nice touch by Hibs

Callyballybe
03-11-2016, 08:02 AM
Congrats to the Chicago Cubs. What a year 2016 has turned out to be!

danhibees1875
03-11-2016, 08:02 AM
Early lead, looked out of it and then a late come back with an extra time winner to end a drought that extended over 100 years. Incredible.

Ozyhibby
03-11-2016, 08:24 AM
If only Mayo had won the all Ireland it would have been the perfect year for ending jinx's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr White
03-11-2016, 08:27 AM
If only Mayo had won the all Ireland it would have been the perfect year for ending jinx's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but it was worth them missing out to see some of the ripping they got on facebook from my relatives in Galway, Roscommon and Sligo :greengrin

ian cruise
03-11-2016, 08:37 AM
Only one year later than Back to the Future predicted....

Biff Tannen
03-11-2016, 09:04 AM

I said I wish I could go back to the start of the season... Put some money on the Cubbies!

snooky
03-11-2016, 09:56 AM
Kicking myself for not putting on a Hibs/Cubs/Murray treble :idiot:

lugz
03-11-2016, 09:59 AM
Michael Lee called it first!

Thecat23
03-11-2016, 10:21 AM

Was just talking about this. Very spooky to be just one year off!!

Just Jimmy
03-11-2016, 10:33 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161103/1f36e9cee34367af4679647501ee4736.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

oneone73
03-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Was just talking about this. Very spooky to be just one year off!!

Don't see why. In 2015 I was just one year off in my Scottish Cup prediction.

CallumLaidlaw
03-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Really good article in the Herald this morning -

Graeme Macpherson: The Cubs, Hibs and the victory of hope over expectation
The Cubs winning the World Series for first time in 108 years gives hope to all sports fans

The Cubs winning the World Series for first time in 108 years gives hope to all sports fans

1 hr ago / Graeme Macpherson
0 comments

HOPE is important. An irrational sense of belief too, mixed in with a dash of blind optimism. It is what sustains the sports fan year after year. Success and silverware are the preserve of the very few which means there must be something else that drives millions around the world to continue to devotedly follow their chosen team in the knowledge that there is as much chance of them winning something as there is Lord Lucan one day emerging from the depths of Loch Ness sitting on Shergar’s back.

Part of it is habit. Part of it is social. The rest is a pathological sense of denial, fuelled by an illogical obsession that one day it will all prove worthwhile, the vast expense, the many miles travelled, the hours, days and years of unrelenting misery. It is a life sentence, the only decision taken before puberty that can never be altered. Change your hairstyle, change your job, change your clothes, change your partner, change your nationality, even change your gender. But not your sports team. You have made your choice and now you are stuck with it, through bad and worse, thin and thinner.

There can be no guarantee of happiness, only of persistent disappointment and frustration. And yet. And yet. Once in a while something happens that allows the sports fan to turn around and say, “See! I told you they would do it,” having never really truly believed it themselves.

A party began in Chicago in the early hours of this morning and it may go on for quite some time to come. The Cubs, baseball’s lovable losers, have finally won the World Series for the first time since 1908. For those who have followed their progress with a deepening sigh and a weakening spirit over the years, the release must have been quite something, almost befuddling. You know where you are with losing. When the rare victories come along it can confuse the senses like being bashed over the head with an outsized frying pan. Watch the many videos filmed this morning of fans congregated outside the Cubs’ Wrigley Park or in bars all around Chicago for further proof. Most don’t know what to do with themselves when their heroes deliver the final out to bring about the end of a 108-year pain.

Hibs fans will surely concur. Most, if being honest, probably thought they would never see their team win the Scottish Cup. And yet they would turn out season after season in the off-chance that maybe this would finally be their year. Lo and behold, 2016, the year of the celebrity death, has also delivered the demise of the biggest jinx in Scottish football.

These victories for Hibs and the Cubs will be cherished not just by their supporters but by every other down-on-their-luck sports fan, too. If they can do it, they will reason, then maybe it will be our turn next. Chances are it won’t be, but that flicker alone will be enough to sustain those who favour hope over expectation, optimism over defeatism and belief over reality. Sometimes that is all it takes.

Gatecrasher
03-11-2016, 11:55 AM

Sums it up nicely, After the League Cup final my dad was just about done, add the play offs to that he needed some convincing to head through to Hampden for the Scottish Cup Final. I bought his ticket despite his refusal, I remember saying to him What if its our year and you miss it? If we lose we just continue as normal. I'm sure he is glad he went.

oneone73
03-11-2016, 11:56 AM

It's not in print yet - online only.

JeMeSouviens
03-11-2016, 11:59 AM
Nice headline - not so sure about the team colours though.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwUHc1hWEAATbio.jpg:large

PatHead
03-11-2016, 01:20 PM
Well done cubs. You hibsed it!!!!!!

snooky
03-11-2016, 01:24 PM
Nice headline - not so sure about the team colours though.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwUHc1hWEAATbio.jpg:large

Which one is Stoksie? :coolhib:

snooky
03-11-2016, 01:34 PM
Cubs v Indians.

Also, ra Brownies, Guides & Scouts!

LustForLeith
03-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Was there a pitch invasion?

Gatecrasher
03-11-2016, 02:17 PM
Was there a pitch invasion?

Aye, all the Cleveland players got done in and Lee Wallace has already given the Police a statement.

Onion
03-11-2016, 02:35 PM
Very first commercial break after they won it was advertising t-shirts and merchandise to commemorate their historic win. Quite impressive and a real money-spinner for them.

SteveHFC
03-11-2016, 03:08 PM
http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/57BF/production/_92236422_wall.jpg

SuperAllyMcleod
03-11-2016, 06:11 PM
http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/57BF/production/_92236422_wall.jpg

That's a pretty good thing to do but worth pointing out that they were doing so in chalk - therefore no real damage! [emoji56]

Similar to our own initiative last week.

snooky
03-11-2016, 06:18 PM
Very first commercial break after they won it was advertising t-shirts and merchandise to commemorate their historic win. Quite impressive and a real money-spinner for them.

A-ha! But when's the DVD coming out? :stirrer:

overdrive
03-11-2016, 06:52 PM
A-ha! But when's the DVD coming out? :stirrer:

If it isn't released on blu ray, I swear I'll do time ;)

LustForLeith
03-11-2016, 06:53 PM
I wonder if Bill Murray is sober yet?

Hibbyradge
03-11-2016, 08:19 PM

Did he promise to give up drinking if the Cubs won the WS? 😉

G B Young
03-11-2016, 10:21 PM
Nice video by Nike. How many have been that kid pretending to score the winning goal for Hibs in the Scottish Cup final?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4LrTkWq9jU

VivaHiberña
03-11-2016, 10:38 PM
Thats some set of results in sport this year for the underdogs - 🏆🏆🏆

1. Hibs Scottish cup win
2. Leicester EPL
3. The Bulldogs (Auzzie rules - AFL)
4. The Sharks (Oz Rugby league)
5. Cubs (World series baseball)
6. Portugal (Euro's)

7. Matt Hayman (relative nobody, one pro race win before this year): Paris-Roubaix (the most prestigious one-day race in road cycling).

G B Young
03-11-2016, 11:09 PM

Probably not yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3244jIaIfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4LrTkWq9jU

NZ Green
04-11-2016, 01:28 AM
http://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/styles/marquee_large_2x/public/2016/10/25/cubs-world-series-1993-yearbook-prediction.jpg?itok=KAumNzU2
This guy nailed it, back in his '93 year book.

Steve-O
04-11-2016, 10:00 AM
7. Matt Hayman (relative nobody, one pro race win before this year): Paris-Roubaix (the most prestigious one-day race in road cycling).

Hurricanes win their first Super Rugby title after 20 years here in NZ...

pontius pilate
04-11-2016, 02:37 PM
The thing is both our Scottish cup success and the cubs winning the world series both came after sliced bread was invented. So I suppose for the fans of both clubs it is the best thing since sliced bread. Haha Thanks for that obama

Itsnoteasy
04-11-2016, 11:01 PM
They reckon roughly 5 million watched the parade. Ours was amazing. That sounds super amazing.

Auckland Hibs
05-11-2016, 05:14 AM
It was crazy today - an estimated 5 million people on the streets of Chicago. Managed to get a decent view from Michigan Ave, lots of tears from the fans & players - it was a very special occasion.

Most people have been drinking since 1pm today, combined with the influx of Irish & Kiwis in town for the game tomorrow it's been a good day! Although I was at the Bulls v Knicks game earlier which the home team lost...

Pete
05-11-2016, 06:01 AM
Like lots of people, I've been wanting the Cubs to win for a while as I've seen the similarities but It's almost time to pass the sick bag.

The Indians will be the ones I remember from this series as they were the small, unfashionable team who did well to get to a World Series and compete against a team three times their size when it comes to revenue. It's also worth noting that the Cubs were the favourites for the World Series before the 2016 season even began and weren't this cuddly, handicapped underdog that the worlds media are making them out to be.

Really feel for Cleveland as we know all too well what it's like to go home from a major game feeling gutted, especially when you are in a commanding position. I hope they are the ones having the party next year.

Go tribe:aok:

blindsummit
05-11-2016, 06:56 AM
Like lots of people, I've been wanting the Cubs to win for a while as I've seen the similarities but It's almost time to pass the sick bag.

The Indians will be the ones I remember from this series as they were the small, unfashionable team who did well to get to a World Series and compete against a team three times their size when it comes to revenue. It's also worth noting that the Cubs were the favourites for the World Series before the 2016 season even began and weren't this cuddly, handicapped underdog that the worlds media are making them out to be.

Really feel for Cleveland as we know all too well what it's like to go home from a major game feeling gutted, especially when you are in a commanding position. I hope they are the ones having the party next year.

I also am a bit torn having been to games in Cleveland and thoroughly enjoyed myself. However at the end of the day I couldn't help but get a lump in my throat when the Cubs won game 7 (an awesome game it was too). I knew exactly how their fans felt, given what us Hibbys have had to endure. And watching the parade live today on TV was pretty awesome.
My magnamity to Chicago can only extend so far though, and will end tomorrow when the Blackhawks come to play my Dallas Stars. Go Stars!

G B Young
05-11-2016, 09:19 AM
They reckon roughly 5 million watched the parade. Ours was amazing. That sounds super amazing.

The 'seventh largest gathering in human history'

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/local/215601786-story

500miles
05-11-2016, 09:22 AM
That's a pretty good thing to do but worth pointing out that they were doing so in chalk - therefore no real damage! [emoji56]

Similar to our own initiative last week.

Such exuberance! There was no malice.

G B Young
05-11-2016, 09:24 AM

That seems a bit harsh. As we know only too well the weight of more than a 100 years of history can be as tough an opponent as any to overcome and the pressure on the Cubs to finally win this must have been immense, favourites or not. Coming back from 3-1 down, having seemingly blown it, was praiseworthy in my view.

Galahibby
05-11-2016, 03:19 PM

He'll be back on it again today, celebrating his laddie Andy's massive achievement :wink:

Itsnoteasy
05-11-2016, 05:13 PM
The 'seventh largest gathering in human history'

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/local/215601786-story

No 9 was interesting

3.5 million at a Rod Stewart concert in Brazil

hibsbollah
05-11-2016, 05:18 PM

The Cubs have been unbelievable, coming from behind in game after game with a young talented group, leaving it late again and again, and broken probably the most infamous hoodoo in sport. I don't know why that would make anyone 'pass the sick bag' :dunno:

ano hibby
05-11-2016, 10:15 PM
Something in the water in Chicago. Ireland just beat the All Blacks for first time in their (111 year) history.
Incredible performance

Auckland Hibs
05-11-2016, 11:28 PM
Something in the water in Chicago. Ireland just beat the All Blacks for first time in their (111 year) history.
Incredible performance

Cracking result for Ireland - don't think the AB's will ever play as bad ever again (especially the first half), but fair play to the Irish for stepping up & taking the game to them.

Quiet night ahead in Chicago :cb :aok:

Pete
06-11-2016, 03:01 AM
The Cubs have been unbelievable, coming from behind in game after game with a young talented group, leaving it late again and again, and broken probably the most infamous hoodoo in sport. I don't know why that would make anyone 'pass the sick bag' :dunno:

Yeah, probably being a bit harsh. It was full-on overload when it came to media coverage after the event but it's understandable given the length of the drought and its place in popular culture.

Probably also to do with feeling bad for the Indians. That was such a fantastic series and after reliving it, one that I don't think either team deserved to lose.

Scorrie
06-11-2016, 08:08 AM
So after Hibs and the Cubs with thier history making wins, Ireland beat New Zealand at rugby for the first time in 111 years! Some year!

hfc rd
06-11-2016, 12:32 PM
A year of sporting miracles.

Hibs, Leicester City, Chicago Cubs, Cleveland Cavaliers.

ElginHibee
06-11-2016, 10:48 PM
Not long off the phone to him.

The Chicago Hibs Supporters Club is still in the planning. He really needs to start posting on here to gauge if there is many other hibbies across there except himself and Irvine Welsh 😄

Over here, over here!!:thumbsup: