PDA

View Full Version : Are some of us Hibbies clueless?

Wee Effen Bee
22-10-2016, 05:54 PM
At the game, the guys (and girls) beside me were discussing the game as it was unfolding. The general consensus was that we were controlling the game throughout the first half although (as per usual over the last couple of seasons) our opponents had the same amount of shots on target as we had. We generally felt that Shinnie, Fyvie and McGinn were bossing the game and the 3 central defenders were coping with anything Dunfermline were throwing at us.
Ignoring the appallingly bad officials' performance, we felt we just needed to inject more urgency from midfield to front in order to win the game - which most of us thought was easily attainable. Almost literally from the whistle, we appeared to be a more focused team out for the second half. In the end we all believed Hibs were worthy winners against a 'stuffy' Dunfermline side. Arriving back home, I clicked onto the match day thread and, not for the first time, I was more than bemused at the, sometimes, merciless criticism of many of the Hibs personnel - manager and players. (Don't get me wrong, I fully understand how emotions are on a roller coaster-ride watching the Hibees so I'm not knocking general constructive criticism.)
So, were the fans around me just a clueless happy-clapping enclave and everyone else is more football-aware, or does the dynamics of the forum just encourage negativity in a sort of 'Star Chamber' effect? I'm just curious to know - without attempting to initiate any verbal paggering. :greengrin

matty_f
22-10-2016, 05:59 PM
Good post. I think Lennon needed a win today, that second half dug him out a hole with a big section of the support. That would have been six games without a win in a season where we have to get promoted.

The stakes are massive this season, there is very little margin for error so you can understand people getting anxious. The only way Lennon can avoid that pressure is to keep getting performances like our second half and pull away for other teams in the league.

brianmc
22-10-2016, 06:02 PM
Having been at the game I'm more inclined to agree with the comments on the match thread than the observations of the crowd around you.
I thought we were really ponderous and poor in defence, midfield and attack during the first half - with the immense Big Daz being a notable exception . Mind you, it was hard to get any kind of fluid movement going when the Dunfermline tactics appeared to be to kick us up in the air every chance they could.

lucky
22-10-2016, 06:07 PM
We were a goal down due to a ridiculous decision from the ref. But we're huffing and puffing. In the second half Shinnie started playing and Boyle's urgency changed the game in our favour.

emerald green
22-10-2016, 06:12 PM
Having been at the game I'm more inclined to agree with the comments on the match thread than the observations of the crowd around you.
I thought we were really ponderous and poor in defence, midfield and attack during the first half - with the immense Big Daz being a notable exception . Mind you, it was hard to get any kind of fluid movement going when the Dunfermline tactics appeared to be to kick us up in the air every chance they could.

DAFC - 24 fouls
HFC - 8 fouls

It's like that most games. When are referees going to do their jobs properly? When are the Hibs players like McGinn going to get some protection from referees?

I won't be holding my breath waiting. The standard of refereeing is woeful.

Wee Effen Bee
22-10-2016, 06:21 PM

Your kind of reply was expected (in a positive way:greengrin) and was part of the reasoning behind my post: opinions are really weird arent they? I'm always amazed that the guy sitting next to me doesn't see an incident or the whole game the same way as I do.

wookie70
22-10-2016, 06:26 PM
I thought we deserved what we got in the first half. I don't think there was much in it and they created the best chance and got a lucky pen.So much better in the second half. No idea why we had to wait that long to show some desire and urgency.

B.H.F.C
22-10-2016, 06:32 PM
DAFC - 24 fouls
HFC - 8 fouls

It's like that most games. When are referees going to do their jobs properly? When are the Hibs players like McGinn going to get some protection from referees?

I'd bet that at least half of the fouls they committed were on John McGinn.

Oscar T Grouch
22-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Was at the game today for a change, I tend not to go to away games that often. The feeling and comments round me were roughly the same as the OPs. Thought we were pretty well in control and we're only down due to another ridiculous referee decision. The fact that when he gave the pen he had to keep pointing at the spot until the dunfy player realised they got a pen says it all. The only one I'd criticise in the first half was Shinnie who just couldn't hold on to the ball. The whole team improved from kick off in the second and it should have ended 1-5 given the two pens that weren't given.
A good solid performance today but I have not read the match thread yet. Think I'll make myself a wee coffee and sit down for a read.

Bayern Bru
22-10-2016, 06:40 PM
When the Hibs Twitter account tweeted about the Pars penalty award, one of the first responses was 'Lennon GTF' so in answer to your thread title question, yes.

:wink:

HibsNutter
22-10-2016, 06:47 PM
Read through some of the responses to todays match updates on Facebook. Clueless is being kind to some.

Audio Visual
22-10-2016, 06:49 PM
At the game, the guys (and girls) beside me were discussing the game as it was unfolding. The general consensus was that we were controlling the game throughout the first half although (as per usual over the last couple of seasons) our opponents had the same amount of shots on target as we had. We generally felt that Shinnie, Fyvie and McGinn were bossing the game and the 3 central defenders were coping with anything Dunfermline were throwing at us.
Ignoring the appallingly bad officials' performance, we felt we just needed to inject more urgency from midfield to front in order to win the game - which most of us thought was easily attainable. Almost literally from the whistle, we appeared to be a more focused team out for the second half. In the end we all believed Hibs were worthy winners against a 'stuffy' Dunfermline side. Arriving back home, I clicked onto the match day thread and, not for the first time, I was more than bemused at the, sometimes, merciless criticism of many of the Hibs personnel - manager and players. (Don't get me wrong, I fully understand how emotions are on a roller coaster-ride watching the Hibees so I'm not knocking general constructive criticism.)
So, were the fans around me just a clueless happy-clapping enclave and everyone else is more football-aware, or does the dynamics of the forum just encourage negativity in a sort of 'Star Chamber' effect? I'm just curious to know - without attempting to initiate any verbal paggering. :greengrin

Fair enough but a few paragraphs would make that easier to read when pished.

Seveno
22-10-2016, 06:53 PM

That is pretty much how I felt other than I thought Shinnie was awful in the first half but turned it around in the second. I would also add the MacGregor was superb throughout.

Lago
22-10-2016, 06:55 PM
I think you have made a valid point, I wasn't at the game but listened to Tam McManus' s assessment on BBC & was praising Hibs 2nd half performance as being very good.

--------
22-10-2016, 06:59 PM
Are some of us Hibbies clueless?

Short answer - YES! :wink:

IanFaeClerrie
22-10-2016, 07:07 PM
We've been poor this season and Lennon has to take responsibility for it. Today John McGinn played the best he has for months. I bumped into him after the game at the team bus and he agreed. I thought our back 3 were solid throughout but Lewis and David Gray got beytetcpenetration in the second half and we just owned the midfield. That said, we were lucky at Farid's poor finishing and I don't think we would have come back from 2 down. We've had the same problem all season - not taking chances and only Keatings looks capable of scoring. I really hope Brian Grahame and Martin Boyle get a start next week.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
22-10-2016, 07:32 PM
At the game people tend to be more positive and look at the match as a whole. The problem with social media is that people not at the game are going mental with utterly ludicrous statements that mostly look stupid come the end of the game. If I'm not at the game I rarely check the match day thread as it's full of the most ill informed comments on these boards.

Onion
22-10-2016, 07:39 PM
DAFC - 24 fouls
HFC - 8 fouls

Would like to see the total foul count against Hibs and our opponents over the last 6 games. And then, the Red & Yellow cards. Expect it will tell it's own story.

Jonnyboy
22-10-2016, 07:41 PM
Opinions, eh? I thought Shinnie was like a man short in the first half but was tremendous in the second. I'm pretty sure that was mainly because Boyle replacing the injured Keatings forced the Pars midfield to drop a bit deeper, giving our midfield time and space to play.

As I say, opinions. Guy behind us wanted Keats subbed because he was lazy. Really?

Jonnyboy
22-10-2016, 07:42 PM
At the game people tend to be more positive and look at the match as a whole. The problem with social media is that people not at the game are going mental with utterly ludicrous statements that mostly look stupid come the end of the game. If I'm not at the game I rarely check the match day thread as it's full of the most ill informed comments on these boards.

I agree and yet there are some who form concrete views on performances and players based on match day threads :greengrin

lord bunberry
22-10-2016, 07:56 PM
I agree and yet there are some who form concrete views on performances and players based on match day threads :greengrin
And base opinions about players and managers on the back of it :greengrin

Jonnyboy
22-10-2016, 07:56 PM
And base opinions about players and managers. :greengrin

:greengrin

marinello59
22-10-2016, 08:00 PM
I'm clueless. I really do talk pish at matches. I'm thinking about asking the BBC for a job.

Pete
22-10-2016, 08:02 PM

You'll not want to look at today's match day thread then as there are some belters.

On the other hand you might want to. :-)

Scouse Hibee
22-10-2016, 08:15 PM
I thought we were very poor in the first half, didn't move the ball quick enough and failed to really create anything, their constant fouling and the lack of space in midfield stifled our game and for me McGinn and particulalry Shinnie were poor . McGregor was immense in the first half and won nearly every challenge he went in for. The second half was totally different, there was an urgency to our game and the arrival of Boyle stretched their midfield allowing Shinnie and McGinn the space they needed and boy did they use it to great affect, particularly Shinnie who had a great second half with McGinn not far behind him. Holt was immense for such a big guy his work rate is first class, he looked like he was blowing out his erse at times but still had the hunger to chase down defenders right to the end.

WhileTheChief..
22-10-2016, 08:25 PM
I think online forums in general attract negativity, it's not just football ones.

Pick any topic you like and find a forum. Whatever it is will be swamped with people bitching and moaning.

Kavinho
22-10-2016, 08:28 PM
Good post. I think Lennon needed a win today, that second half dug him out a hole with a big section of the support. That would have been six games without a win in a season where we have to get promoted.

The stakes are massive this season, there is very little margin for error so you can understand people getting anxious. The only way Lennon can avoid that pressure is to keep getting performances like our second half and pull away for other teams in the league.

Surely no wins in five and yet finding ourselves 3 points clear tonight would suggest that in this league there is margin for error,

But take the point, we need promotion this year.

I absolutely believe we have seen nothing of the best that Neil Lennon can, and will, get out of this side.

Wee Effen Bee
22-10-2016, 08:39 PM
I thought we were very poor in the first half, didn't move the ball quick enough and failed to really create anything, their constant fouling and the lack of space in midfield stifled our game and for me McGinn and particulalry Shinnie were poor . McGregor was immense in the first half and won nearly every challenge he went in for. The second half was totally different, there was an urgency to our game and the arrival of Boyle stretched their midfield allowing Shinnie and McGinn the space they needed and boy did they use it to great affect, particularly Shinnie who had a great second half with McGinn not far behind him. Holt was immense for such a big guy his work rate is first class, he looked like he was blowing out his erse at times but still had the hunger to chase down defenders right to the end.

Also, I thought Fyvie would get pass marks for playing decently for the full 90 mins. Boyle must be very pleased with his contribution this afternoon. Not only did he get up to the speed of the game immediately, he even managed to take it up a further notch or two.

Ronniekirk
22-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Wasnt at the game but the lack of positive posts in first half gave the impression we probably werent creating a lot of chances
Good to see we turned it around in second half and injected that ense of urgency and we got our rewardAlso good to see Holt and Graham scoring , long may that continue

mca
22-10-2016, 09:07 PM
I'm clueless. I really do talk pish at matches. I'm thinking about asking the BBC for a job.

For the BBC - you Usually need to be an ex-player... But if you roll your right trouser leg up - it might just Help.. :wink:

Stax
22-10-2016, 09:16 PM
I was surprised with some of the comments on the game today to be honest. I thought Dunfermline were one of the poorest teams I've watched for a while. Still no wiser on Dunfermline's penalty but apart from that they offered nothing. Lot of good performances for me today & mcginn was outstanding but Darren mcgregor was flawless and motm imo. All subjective and maybe clouded by the fact it was the 1st away game for a wee while with my kids and just really enjoyed the game. This despite one of the worst reffereeing performances I've seen for a long time..

WestCoastHibby
22-10-2016, 09:21 PM
Who cares? We won, move on to the next game....

brog
22-10-2016, 09:22 PM
I've been saying for weeks that I expect us to be stronger away than at home this season. IMO that's partly down to the way Lennon sets his stall out & partly due to the fact that the opposition tend to come at us a bit more at our away games. So far we've lost 4/18 points away (22%) & 5/12 at home (42%). Today's apparently unjust pen was the first away goal we've conceded since the opening day. The big test comes next week, we need to have pace & creativity, sweep St M away & still be safe at the back. So far only the Morton home game fits that description. The new accounts make it clear just how much we benefit from increased crowds, we need a big result to get back the feel good factor & hopefully entertain another big crowd.

jacomo
22-10-2016, 09:24 PM

Yep. Also people trying to draw attention to themselves from the comfort of their keyboard / phone.

My rule is, if you are not at the game, quit slavering. Even watching the game on tv is sometimes misleading.

matty_f
22-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Surely no wins in five and yet finding ourselves 3 points clear tonight would suggest that in this league there is margin for error,

But take the point, we need promotion this year.

I absolutely believe we have seen nothing of the best that Neil Lennon can, and will, get out of this side.

I meant from now, we've pretty much used up our margin for error imho.

We know the other teams will likely slip up, but we thought that about Falkirk last season and they ended up ahead of us.

lord bunberry
22-10-2016, 09:35 PM
You'll not want to look at today's match day thread then as there are some belters.

On the other hand you might want to. :-)
I can only imagine mate. We're 1-0 down and the worlds about to end and I presume it's all Stevensons fault. 45 minutes later we're going to win the league. I'm not criticising people as we're all hibs fans that want to see us win, but at least give the team and the manager 90 mins without sticking the boot in.:hibees

lord bunberry
22-10-2016, 09:37 PM
Yep. Also people trying to draw attention to themselves from the comfort of their keyboard / phone.

My rule is, if you are not at the game, quit slavering. Even watching the game on tv is sometimes misleading.
:agree: At least give the boys a chance to see the game out.

--------
23-10-2016, 06:58 AM
For the BBC - you Usually need to be an ex-player... But if you roll your right trouser leg up - it might just Help.. :wink:

Drooling and crossing your eyes at the interview's a good idea too.

Mind you, there was a time when the match-day thread actually gave you some idea of what was going on. I mean, specifics - what the players were doing, what the opposition was doing. That's no longer the case, IMO.

This latest one seemed to be mostly people venting. Lots of smoke and no fire.

J-C
23-10-2016, 07:24 AM

It's been like that for 2 years now, bossing games but never looking like scoring or dismantling teams , except for the odd hlf or full game when it all seems to click and we play with a really good tempo and urgency in our game.

I watched the highlights from the Liverpool game last night, the difference between Klopp and Rogers is there for all to see, under klopp Liverpool are pressing high up the pitch, winning balls, forcing errors and when they have the ball it's all done with pace and urgency and they look really dangerous, same players different team. This is what we need, show our players how Liverpool play.

Hermit Crab
23-10-2016, 10:53 AM
DAFC - 24 fouls
HFC - 8 fouls

One of those 8 fouls against us was the invisible incident for their penalty. I'm still looking for the foul in there!!

lucky
23-10-2016, 11:14 AM
The first half was not great but we were still the better side. The game lasts 90 minutes so we don't have to win it in the first 20 minutes. They did put the boot in early doors and gave McGinn special treatment however he deservedly got booked for a wild challenge. Boyle's pace scared them ****less

southsider
23-10-2016, 12:07 PM
For the first time in what seems like an age we started the 2nd half with drive, pace and on the front foot. We need to do the every week and we blow teams away.

NAE NOOKIE
23-10-2016, 02:06 PM
I think the general consensus was that we were pretty much in control of the first half without making a lot happen apart from a couple of free kicks that worked the keeper ... we seriously didn't look in any trouble at the back, but when we went a goal down the first thing entering everybody's head was our poor scoring stats recently, at that point it didn't look very positive for a comeback, hence all the bed wetting.

Its therefor not surprising that the much improved second half performance won a lot of folk over, it was night and day to the first half and showed how this team are capable of playing if they roll their sleeves up and play at a higher tempo .... usually when a team ups the pace the passing and decision making suffers a bit, instead of that our passing and overall play got a lot better.

A wee shout out to Darren McGregor who has been outstanding in the last few games and was man of the match yesterday for his display over the entire 90 minutes ..... he isn't the most cultured of players but he wins just about every challenge he goes in for.