PDA

View Full Version : Play like we did 2nd half and we'll be just fine

California-Hibs
22-10-2016, 03:55 PM
We were night and day better in the 2nd half today. The confidence was there, passing was spot on and we created plenty of chances and most importantly actually scored, yes scored not 1, 2 but 3 goals!

I attribute this all to urgency! The urgency we had 2nd half to 1st was massively different. Players like McGinn and Shinne looked transformed and were key behind the win.

Very happy and confident with that 2nd half display. Many positives.

A win again at last! Let's push on Hibs 👍

HibbySpurs
22-10-2016, 04:02 PM
Wasn't there myself but sounds like a very good second half, push on from here hopefully👍

SRHibs
22-10-2016, 04:03 PM
Was looking ominous but the fight shown in the second half has definitely quelled my memories. Bit worried about the Cummings situation though.

Hibee Mac
22-10-2016, 04:05 PM
Must admit, I've given shinnie his fair share of criticism over the last few weeks but he's changed my opinion of him with that performance.

Won us a pen, great assist for the third and would have had another had keatings not missed his sitter. Looks like he's finally bedding into the midfield.

Jim44
We were night and day better in the 2nd half today. The confidence was there, passing was spot on and we created plenty of chances and most importantly actually scored, yes scored not 1, 2 but 3 goals!

I attribute this all to urgency! The urgency we had 2nd half to 1st was massively different. Players like McGinn and Shinne looked transformed and were key behind the win.

Very happy and confident with that 2nd half display. Many positives.

A win again at last! Let's push on Hibs 👍

Why can't we start our games with the same urgency?

Borderhibbie76
Was looking ominous but the fight shown in the second half has definitely quelled my memories. Bit worried about the Cummings situation though.
Why?? He is out of form and rested on the bench I don't see a problem?? In fact might do him good to realise he isn't a certain starter every week

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
22-10-2016, 04:13 PM
Scored three and should have scored a ****load more.

But the real big test is at home to St.Mirren. The only thing we're having trouble with in away fixtures is the referees. It's our home form that's making seem an awkward season - we need to start smashing teams who sit in against us to pieces.

HibbySpurs
22-10-2016, 04:14 PM
Why?? He is out of form and rested on the bench I don't see a problem?? In fact might do him good to realise he isn't a certain starter every week

Agree, maybe getting a bit Billy big shot? Hopefully Lennon will nip it in the bud quick smart.

Bristolhibby
22-10-2016, 04:15 PM
Bottom of the league St Mirren next weekend at ER. Urgency from minute 1 required Hibs.

GGTTH

J

Jim44
22-10-2016, 04:18 PM

:agree: Unless he's scoring goals, his contribution is not enough. Feed his hunger for goals by winning his place back in training.

judas
22-10-2016, 04:21 PM
Felt Boyle made a big difference for Hibs 2nd half.
Very energetic and a nuisance to the Dunfermline defence.
McGregor was very commanding.

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2016, 04:24 PM
Cummings dropped and 3 away goals, now we know others can score let's do more of it now Hibs. :thumbsup:

Borderhibbie76
22-10-2016, 04:28 PM
Cummings dropped and 3 away goals, now we know others can score let's do more of it now Hibs. [emoji106]
Absolutely BH - good to see all 3 strikers who played score today

weecounty hibby
22-10-2016, 04:29 PM
JC Doesn't do enough when not scoring. People will mention McCoist and John Robertson but they got lots of chances and scored lots of goals as they very seldom went through bad spells as far as I can remember. If he's not scoring then there are better options in my opinion, Keatings for example is a better footballer and I think also works harder for the team. A hungry JC looking to prove a point will be a formidable weapon as the season goes on

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-10-2016, 04:35 PM
Not a recent failing that we can wait for the games to happen to us but to be fair, that would have been a draw or a loss last season. Still need to get the mentality that we are good enough to dictate games from the first whistle.

SRHibs
22-10-2016, 04:38 PM

More referring to the rumours about there being issues with his fitness after the break. I also think it was a bad move from Lennon to single him out publicly, especially when he was in good goal scoring form. Not overly fussed as long as we are winning though.:aok:

Cod Boy
22-10-2016, 04:56 PM
More referring to the rumours about there being issues with his fitness after the break. I also think it was a bad move from Lennon to single him out publicly, especially when he was in good goal scoring form. Not overly fussed as long as we are winning though.:aok:

Hibs didn't have a international break though.

matty_f
22-10-2016, 05:39 PM
We toiled in the first half and looked lost. Second half was a big k improvement. Instead of being a passenger, Shinnie stepped his game up and was good second half after a rotten first half.
McGinn was terrific, imho. We had last season's McGinn again. Thought Keatings set the tone for the second half and Boyle picked up that pace as soon as he came on.
We had some good performances today, it was good to are a Stevenson back on the left and Hanlon in the middle. Fyvie did well and McGregor was the pick of the defence.

emerald green
22-10-2016, 05:43 PM
I see from the BBC match report that Gary Parker is quoted as saying........ "The manager had a go at them at half time, rightly so, but they are good lads and they went out there and showed what they are all about."

J-C
22-10-2016, 05:54 PM
Re the JC situation, I wonder if since his new deal and contract he's taken his foot off the pedal thinking he's made it already. Tam McManus was saying that during the international break he came back overweight and Lennon was furious with him, making him run the sidelines instead of training with the squad, maybe Lennon making an example of him.

matty_f
22-10-2016, 05:56 PM
Re the JC situation, I wonder if since his new deal and contract he's taken his foot off the pedal thinking he's made it already. Tam McManus was saying that during the international break he came back overweight and Lennon was furious with him, making him run the sidelines instead of training with the squad, maybe Lennon making an example of him.
I don't have an issue with Lennon taking a hard stance on Cummings. It's better happening now while Jason has time to sort himself out, a lesson now could save his career long term.

Unseen work
22-10-2016, 05:57 PM
If Lennon never slated him publically 3 weeks in a row when he was actually scoring I don't think we would be having this problem.

I find it hard to imAgine Cummings came back "overweight" after 1-2 weeks, a period that they would of been training over.

He he put on muscle over the years, very little fat on him

blackpoolhibs
22-10-2016, 06:08 PM
I will get stick for it, but so what. I'd get rid of Cummings in January, take the money before his value drops to nothing.

I personally think he's a very poor footballer who's had the habit of scoring, a great trait if you can do it but perhaps he's been sussed now, i think he may have been.

In his current form i believe he should have been dropped today as Lennon did.

Back to the goal he's poor, heading is poor, body strength is poor and i don't think he's that good when he has the ball either.

He's a very good finisher at times, but misses more than he should, folk here are comparing him to Robertson and McCoist, who in my opinion were much better footballers than him.

People will say he's young, and i agree. For me that is the only thing i'd say he has in his favour compared to those two i mentioned.

If i'm wrong i will hold my hands up, and i really hope i am. I hope he goes on to have a great career and scores the goals, improves and after getting us up makes a big move to a big club in England.

J-C
22-10-2016, 06:08 PM
If Lennon never slated him publically 3 weeks in a row when he was actually scoring I don't think we would be having this problem.

I find it hard to imAgine Cummings came back "overweight" after 1-2 weeks, a period that they would of been training over.

He he put on muscle over the years, very little fat on him

I really can't see why Tam McManus would make up stories for no reason, he'll still have good contacts within Hibs and the game itself, obviously something has happened for him to be dropped. Also it's easy to put weight on if you're still training, the players will have a diet to keep to , add in a few extra beers, chips and McD's o top and a few lbs can be added.

Wee Effen Bee
22-10-2016, 06:12 PM
Felt Boyle made a big difference for Hibs 2nd half.
Very energetic and a nuisance to the Dunfermline defence.
McGregor was very commanding.

Agree there Judas. I thought we were always better than Dunfermline but, through the unfortunate loss of Keatings, the introduction of Boyle took our second half performance to another level. The way we began the second half, with real intent, certainly took the wind out of Dunfy's sails. Boyle added that extra factor. Thought McGinn was looking like his old self and Shinnie played like the player I remembered. Fyvie was really consistent throughout the game and if we play like this more often, the OP will be spot on on with his/her prognosis: we will be 'fine!':agree:

matty_f
22-10-2016, 06:15 PM
Agree there Judas. I thought we were always better than Dunfermline but, through the unfortunate loss of Keatings, the introduction of Boyle took our second half performance to another level. The way we began the second half, with real intent, certainly took the wind out of Dunfy's sails. Boyle added that extra factor. Thought McGinn was looking like his old self and Shinnie played like the player I remembered. Fyvie was really consistent throughout the game and if we play like this more often, the OP will be spot on on with his/her prognosis: we will be 'fine!':agree:

I thought Keatings had already set the tone for the second half before Boyle came on. Keatings' injury came from chasing someone down iirc.

California-Hibs
22-10-2016, 06:16 PM
We toiled in the first half and looked lost. Second half was a big k improvement. Instead of being a passenger, Shinnie stepped his game up and was good second half after a rotten first half.
McGinn was terrific, imho. We had last season's McGinn again. Thought Keatings set the tone for the second half and Boyle picked up that pace as soon as he came on.
We had some good performances today, it was good to are a Stevenson back on the left and Hanlon in the middle. Fyvie did well and McGregor was the pick of the defence.

Yep, you're summery is pretty much spot on!

S4uzee
22-10-2016, 06:24 PM

Not doubting what you are saying but I'm a bit confused as mentioned elsewhere that we didn't have an international break

J-C
22-10-2016, 07:07 PM
Not doubting what you are saying but I'm a bit confused as mentioned elsewhere that we didn't have an international break

As I said I can't see McManus stirring it and making things up, something has definitely happened and Lennon is making an example of him.

where'stheslope
22-10-2016, 07:27 PM
I will get stick for it, but so what. I'd get rid of Cummings in January, take the money before his value drops to nothing.

I personally think he's a very poor footballer who's had the habit of scoring, a great trait if you can do it but perhaps he's been sussed now, i think he may have been.

Back to the goal he's poor, heading is poor, body strength is poor and i don't think he's that good when he has the ball either.

He's a very good finisher at times, but misses more than he should, folk here are comparing him to Robertson and McCoist, who in my opinion were much better footballers than him.

People will say he's young, and i agree. For me that is the only thing i'd say he has in his favour compared to those two i mentioned.

If i'm wrong i will hold my hands up, and i really hope i am. I hope he goes on to have a great career and scores the goals, improves and after getting us up makes a big move to a big club in England.

I also think that Cumming is playing in an inferior league to what Robertson and Mcciost played in, he should be scoring a barrow load of goals in this League. He has had a good run and dropping him for a few games may just get his mojo back.
If he thinks he's Billy Big Boots and has done all that is necessary then he will learn that to have a long career in football you have to work hard, and when things go against you, work even harder!!!

Hamish
22-10-2016, 07:29 PM
Just had a look on the DAFC forum and the general feeling is that they were lucky it was only 3-1. Lots of praise for Hibs and lots of abuse for Allan Johnston

NAE NOOKIE
22-10-2016, 11:01 PM
The thread title says it all ......... the first half we can write off, we weren't terrible, but we didn't look very good either.. ... peeeep, half time, into the dressing room .... what the **** was that!!!!!! ... I've seen ****ing kids play ****ing better, you lot had better get a ****ing grip, we need to win this ****ing league and with performances like that we'll be lucky not to get ****ing relegated ...... get a ****ing grip !!!!!!

What a difference in the 2nd half ... everybody, and I mean everybody, upped their game ..... we won every second ball, we won every tackle, we chased lost causes, especially Boyle who was great .... McGinn was last seasons McGinn, Shinnie remembered that he is actually a decent player ... we passed better, we made good decisions on the ball and we upped the pace 100% ................ That's exactly how you need to play to win a league, long may it continue :aok:

jacomo
22-10-2016, 11:10 PM
Lennon must have been very happy tonight after a half time turnaround like that.

He's taken a fair bit of criticism this week but will get credit for that.

Dashing Bob S
22-10-2016, 11:32 PM
Just had a look on the DAFC forum and the general feeling is that they were lucky it was only 3-1. Lots of praise for Hibs and lots of abuse for Allan Johnston

One of the most one-sided games I've seen in a long time. 6-1 wouldn't have flattered us. In fact, 6-0, it was a nonsense penalty.

Big90inOz
23-10-2016, 03:40 AM
It was good to get the win but Dunfermline were honking, no shape at all
We need to put other teams fullbacks under a lot more pressure so it draws players out the middle to help out. We have 2 good fullback defenders but in this league we need them to be an attacking threat more then defensive.
We had 3 centre halves and Fyvie covering, I would have liked to have seen a couple of players on who can turn their fullbacks.

Brightside
23-10-2016, 06:55 AM

If we can get 1.5m in Jan I'd take it in a shot.

J-C
23-10-2016, 07:06 AM
The thread title says it all ......... the first half we can write off, we weren't terrible, but we didn't look very good either.. ... peeeep, half time, into the dressing room .... what the **** was that!!!!!! ... I've seen ****ing kids play ****ing better, you lot had better get a ****ing grip, we need to win this ****ing league and with performances like that we'll be lucky not to get ****ing relegated ...... get a ****ing grip !!!!!!

What a difference in the 2nd half ... everybody, and I mean everybody, upped their game ..... we won every second ball, we won every tackle, we chased lost causes, especially Boyle who was great .... McGinn was last seasons McGinn, Shinnie remembered that he is actually a decent player ... we passed better, we made good decisions on the ball and we upped the pace 100% ................ That's exactly how you need to play to win a league, long may it continue :aok:

Lennon must have been very happy tonight after a half time turnaround like that.

He's taken a fair bit of criticism this week but will get credit for that.

Which begs the question, why did we play so poorly 1st half and so poorly the last 3-4 games?

tam4hibs
23-10-2016, 07:09 AM
I'd like to see us use Boyle upfront in the upcoming games if Keatings is injured.

That was one of his best appearances for Hibs; was much more effective up top than wide!

B.H.F.C
23-10-2016, 07:14 AM
I'd like to see us use Boyle upfront in the upcoming games if Keatings is injured.

That was one of his best appearances for Hibs; was much more effective up top than wide!

He's probably earned a start next week with his performance.

But he has often made an impact from the bench, got a start, and then pretty much shown why he doesn't start very often. Providing he does start next week I hope he performs like he did yesterday because that was as good as I've seen him.

Jim44
23-10-2016, 07:37 AM
If we can get 1.5m in Jan I'd take it in a shot.

Getting rid of Cummings in January is a double edged sword. Yes we'll get a fairly decent price for him but other clubs will know we're letting him go because he has gone off the boil and we won't get anything near £1.5m. On the other hand, if he get's back to doing what he's good at, we won't be in a hurry to sell him. The only way we will get a big fee for him is if we sell him when he's at the top of his game.

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Getting rid of Cummings in January is a double edged sword. Yes we'll get a fairly decent price for him but other clubs will know we're letting him go because he has gone off the boil and we won't get anything near £1.5m. On the other hand, if he get's back to doing what he's good at, we won't be in a hurry to sell him. The only way we will get a big fee for him is if we sell him when he's at the top of his game.

:agree: I agree, although he does have to be playing well or scoring goals that make it impossible for him to be dropped, and at the moment he does not warrant a place in the team in my opinion.

An in form goalscoring Jason Cummings is what we all want, more so because he has that gallus cocky streak i love in a player, but they do have to perform as well.

jacomo
23-10-2016, 09:57 PM
:agree: I agree, although he does have to be playing well or scoring goals that make it impossible for him to be dropped, and at the moment he does not warrant a place in the team in my opinion.

An in form goalscoring Jason Cummings is what we all want, more so because he has that gallus cocky streak i love in a player, but they do have to perform as well.

He's clearly had a wee drop in form. Stubbs seemed to play his favoured 11 regardless, but Lennon changed it up and got a result.

As for Cummings, he's got a fine record so far and I'm sure he'll be scoring again soon. Of course he's not the finished article - he himself has as good as admitted it and signed a long contract with us.

MacGruber
24-10-2016, 09:44 AM
Some of the stuff on here is a joke regarding Cummings

Blackpool - 'a very poor footballer', do me a favour! - not just 'poor' either but 'very poor'

Others - 'Keatings is a better stiker'
... No. No he's not. Clearly.
& I like Keatings. We won't Everest have to brace ourselves for multi million pound bids for him. Why - because whilst he's a good player, nippy and tidy he doesn't score enough goals.

Scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in the game. We are lucky to have Jason for all his flaws. He puts the ball in the back of the net. This makes him one of,if not our biggest player asset.

When push comes to shove in the big games, Cummings scores.

I'm delighted he's here and not playing against us.

'Very poor'... sweet Jesus.

blackpoolhibs
24-10-2016, 09:51 AM

Blackpool - 'a very poor footballer', do me a favour! - not just 'poor' either but 'very poor'

& I like Keatings. We won't Everest have to brace ourselves for multi million pound bids for him. Why - because whilst he's a good player, nippy and tidy he doesn't score enough goals.

Scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in the game. We are lucky to have Jason for all his flaws. He puts the ball in the back of the net. This makes him one of,if not our biggest player asset.

I don't think he's very good all, but I do think he's a very good goal scorer, although as of recently when the goals have dried up he contributes next to nothing in my opinion. Anyway just landed at Alicante airport so won't be worrying about his form, good or bad for a week or so.

familyman
24-10-2016, 10:31 AM
I also think that Cumming is playing in an inferior league to what Robertson and Mcciost played in, he should be scoring a barrow load of goals in this League. He has had a good run and dropping him for a few games may just get his mojo back.
If he thinks he's Billy Big Boots and has done all that is necessary then he will learn that to have a long career in football you have to work hard, and when things go against you, work even harder!!!

I think although I was not there Neil Lennon read the riot act at half time,perhaps that is why he is there...Well done for that.
I cannot fathom out though why professional players having just won a major cup should need such a thing...as professionals I would hope they would go flat out for 90 mins as default ..and have that confidence .
at least Neil seems to have cracked it now...however frustrating Hibs seem to be ...come on Hibs forge ahead now and create a decent gap...They keep saying how good a set of players they are, time for heroes again then!!!:flag:

Steve20
24-10-2016, 10:38 AM

I actually think he is. If Keatings played as many games up front as Cummings, I reckon he's score at least as many goals. Just my opinion though.

Anyway, second half on Saturday is the best we've played this season and hopefully we can push on from here. Special mention to Fyvie, who was once again one of our better players. He's been very good this season after getting a bit stick from some folk last year.

MacGruber
24-10-2016, 10:40 AM
I don't think he's very good all, but I do think he's a very good goal scorer, although as of recently when the goals have dried up he contributes next to nothing in my opinion. Anyway just landed at Alicante airport so won't be worrying about his form, good or bad for a week or so.

I think our opinion of Cummings is going to differ regardless of the length of any debate so will have to respectfully disagree.

Have a great time away though :)

JDHibs
24-10-2016, 10:42 AM
Hopefully questions are being asked why the past 2 weeks we have been garbage in the first half and excellent in the 2nd.

2nd half on Saturday is exactly how we should be playing, high intensity, pressing everything and dominating these teams. We created great chances, Shinnie and McGinn really stood up in the 2nd half and made it count.

Boyle came on and was immense. Total pest and you could see the defenders hated playing against him and Holt as Holt was being a pest aswell.

If we continue to play like we did in the 2nd half for the rest of the season we will win this league by 15+ points. No other team seems to have the capabilities to get a consistent run going. QOS looks likely but 2 defeats against Morton and Ayr put that to bed. Falkirk were on a good run then got spanked by Raith. All the teams below us will take points off eachother and we are very capable of beating all of them.

People saying Cummings is a poor footballer need to have a word.

snooky
24-10-2016, 10:50 AM
"Play like we did 2nd half and we'll be just fine"

Play like we did 1st half and we won't. :cool2:

Northernhibee
24-10-2016, 10:52 AM
Grant Holt is a really good player to have in the side. Not the player he was but his knowledge and experience makes him invaluable.

Jim44
24-10-2016, 11:59 AM
"Play like we did 2nd half and we'll be just fine"
:

That's the sort of reasonable, reassuring language I like. None of this 'skooshing' nonsense, which returns to haunt you. :thumbsup:

Ozyhibby
25-10-2016, 01:26 AM
Cummings is an excellent young goal scorer who has a big future in front of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk