PDA

View Full Version : Best Matches at Hampden

lugz
22-10-2016, 11:55 AM
As I watch Morton vs Aberdeen and fight falling asleep, I can't help but think about that special day in may.

It did get me thinking, as a match for a neutral has there been a better match at Hampden than our cup final victory?

Goals, chances, changes in momentum, the unbelievable finish to the match.

Zazu62
22-10-2016, 11:59 AM
4-3 vs Falkirk? I'm sure the other semi that year was 4-3 aswell

Onceinawhile
22-10-2016, 11:59 AM
As I watch Morton vs Aberdeen and fight falling asleep, I can't help but think about that special day in may.

It did get me thinking, as a match for a neutral has there been a better match at Hampden than our cup final victory?

Most likely candidate would be the motherwell Dundee UTD game that finished 4-3

Or Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt

iwasthere1972
22-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Most likely candidate would be the motherwell Dundee UTD game that finished 4-3

Or Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt

Add in St Mirren v the Hearts Scottish League Cup Final when the cheats were denied the opportunity to put their League Cup hoodoo to bed.

greenginger
22-10-2016, 12:09 PM

Not watching but I'm pretty sure it would be a much better atmosphere and game if it was held a Easter Road.

Better for fans, better for players, better for TV audience ...... but does not suit the SPFL for some reason.

lugz
22-10-2016, 12:11 PM
Not watching but I'm pretty sure it would be a much better atmosphere and game if it was held a Easter Road.

Better for fans, better for players, better for TV audience ...... but does not suit the SPFL for some reason.

Completely agree, got think the attendance is over the capacity of ER. The game has been very poor apart from the first 5 mins where Aberdeen battered them.

lugz
22-10-2016, 12:12 PM
I'd say the cup final was better than both the Falkirk match and the Hearts St Mirren matches...ofcourse just my opinion

22-10-2016, 12:16 PM
For a neutral i fail to think of a cup final in Scotland that has been better than the 21st of May 2016.

It had plenty goals, both teams going ahead, last minute winner etc.

Pretty Boy
22-10-2016, 12:19 PM
Ours was actually a good game, which cup finals often aren't, as well as having the perfect ending it had good goals, it swung one way then the other and both teams played to try and win. Motherwell v Dundee Utd runs it close.

In other games that I enjoyed, QOTS beating Aberdeen 4-3 was a good game. Even better that I was there with a group of Aberdeen fans with their faces tripping them. Not better than either of our recent final wins but I enjoyed it.

The Zidane Champions League final was a very good game as well with Casillas coming of the bench to produce a wonder performance in the 2nd half (often forgotten due to the quality of that volley).

Famous Fiver
22-10-2016, 03:56 PM
Top matches I've seen at Hampden

Scotland 1 Italy 0 1965 100,000 odd there, last minute winner
Scotland 2 Czechoslovakia 1 1973 Joe Jordan winner
Scotland 3 Spain 1 Canny remember the year but Dalglish scored a cracker
Scotland 2 France Nil Late eighties Poured with rain and got soaked but wahat a night.
1991 League Cup Final
Semi Final against the H*ns, extra time and pens. GIRUY
2007 League Cup Final
21st May 2016 topped the lot, and then some.

Onion
22-10-2016, 04:10 PM

Just great to think we won it in real style. Match will live long in the memory for all the Hibs fans for all the right reasons. And some folk even got their pics in the papers :wink:

Northernhibee
22-10-2016, 04:16 PM
For a neutral has there ever been a better cup run?

emerald green
22-10-2016, 04:58 PM
1970 European Cup semi-final (2nd leg) - Celtic 2 v Leeds United 1. (Celtic also won the away leg 1-0).

The late Billy Bremner scored first for Leeds with a tremendous shot from outside the box. Hughes & Bobby Murdoch (great player) for Celtic.

Attendance 136,505. An electric atmosphere inside the old Hampden that night.

Celtic, who were strong favourites to win their second European Cup, lost to Feyenoord in the final.

Diclonius
22-10-2016, 05:06 PM
Until the cup final, 4-3 v Falkirk was my all time favourite Hibs game.

You're never going to see a team come back from 3-0 down in such a big game. Except Liverpool.

Sir David Gray
22-10-2016, 05:35 PM
The 21st May 2016 was the greatest match in the history of the game, never mind at Hampden.

No other team should even bother trying to emulate it as it will only end in disappointment.

Northernhibee
22-10-2016, 08:26 PM
The 21st May 2016 was the greatest match in the history of the game, never mind at Hampden.

No other team should even bother trying to emulate it as it will only end in disappointment.

The Scottish Cup should now just stop at the semi final stages. :agree: