PDA

View Full Version : 70's football classic for students of the game (NHC)

worcesterhibby
17-10-2016, 08:24 AM
thought I would brighten up Monday morning by posting this. Full highlights of West Ham V Man Utd back in the 70's. A classic game with a classic cast of 70's legends such as Bobby Charlton, George Best, Bobby Moore, Pop Robson, Denis Law, Trevor Brooking and Martin Buchan. There's a great performance from Alex Stepney in the Utd goal and lovely cameos from Clive Best and Dudley Tyler looking like a young David Ginola. There's some great goals, some lovely action and the whole thing just gives a flavour of what 70's football was like to watch. If like me you were born in the sixties then this will be lovely nostalgia, if your a young 'en then have a watch and enjoy a time when the best in the world, put on a show but didn't get paid that much more than the rest of us.

The production values still look better than Sportscene...just saying !

https://youtu.be/z_I-zXqSRNs

Spike Mandela
17-10-2016, 11:27 AM
I was born in 65 and this game is the era I would be starting to get in to watching and playing football. The game would be a Saturday 3pm kick off. You can almost smell the grass, mud and deep heat watching that.

No poxy goalie gloves, no fancy Premier league graphics, all boots black and white. The ball itself just a normal ball. Great players, big crowd with no tourists.

For me this is when football was at it's peak. Loads of classic games out there on the interweb. Playing with an orange ball in snow, mudbaths, real tackles, fights, great goals, historic grounds and brilliant commentaries.

Cheers for posting:aok:

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-10-2016, 11:49 AM
My first game @ UP was a 6-0 win v Sunderland in the early 90's, it was still relatively old school, I loved it! The Supporters Club door being about 20yds from the turnstiles was quite handy too. Nae last minute rush to get into the ground 'cos you knew you could get a bevvy inside, happy days! Being about 100yds away from the pub beside Stringfellows in Soho when an IRA bomb went off in it the following day not so happy.

Spike Mandela
17-10-2016, 12:06 PM
Check out this entire series on Youtube.

http://youtu.be/W0-HwwJA3qA

emerald green
17-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Thanks for posting that worcesterhibby. Classic stuff and great to watch.

The 70s, to me anyway, was part of a golden age of football in this country. The era before big money from television came into the game, and the importation of foreign players. It was noticeable that there were few (if any?) foreign players in either team, and about three Scots playing for Man Utd. No chance of that happening today.

The incomparable Best, Law & Charlton. The late great Bobby Moore. Both teams playing open attacking football. How refreshing to watch compared to the stuff we suffer most weeks at ER these days, i.e. "park the bus".

A packed Boleyn Ground, with standing on the terracing creating a terrific atmosphere. Something all seated stadia has killed. A ground at which I watched some terrific matches many years ago.

worcesterhibby
17-10-2016, 08:07 PM
Here's another Belter, with great scenes from a rammed St James's Park as Malcolm McDonald's Newcastle take on the Derby county of Gemmil and Rioch. Who was the midfield maestro that ended up dominating the match? providing assists, winning penalties, scoring penalties and even getting himself a goal/maybe own goal...Hibs former assistant manager Tommy Craig...never realised he was such a great wee player.

Enjoy !

https://youtu.be/FJh1m2PobAQ

HIBERNIAN-0762
17-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Could have done with some of this tonight in the so called "battle of the Reds" yawnfest.

heretoday
17-10-2016, 09:43 PM
What I like is the ref isn't blowing up for every challenge. And the players aren't programmed to go down at the slightest touch. They get on with it like they're enjoying themselves.

It's more of a man's game, I suppose.

It was great living in London at that time. I used to watch Chelsea because I lived near there and also Fulham.