PDA

View Full Version : Behind the goals

leggeto
16-10-2016, 05:11 PM
In a discussion in the pub the now , has the cowshed had any other names

DaveF
16-10-2016, 05:12 PM
Always the Cooshed to me, but prior to the 80's might have been something else.

Golden Bear
16-10-2016, 05:15 PM
I knew it as "The Cave"

blackpoolhibs
16-10-2016, 05:15 PM
Some folk called it the cave in the 70s, but was always the coo shed for me.

Tom Hart RIP
16-10-2016, 05:17 PM
Mid 60s when I started going it was the Cowshed. I'd never heard it called the cave till recently

leggeto
16-10-2016, 05:19 PM
Sound,had never heard of the cave before,that's what the Celtic fan I'm arguing with knew it as

cabbageandribs1875
16-10-2016, 05:23 PM
it was the cowshed, end of :greengrin i have no idea why on earth anyone would nickname it the 'cave'

blackpoolhibs
16-10-2016, 05:29 PM
it was the cowshed, end of :greengrin i have no idea why on earth anyone would nickname it the 'cave'

I have no idea why anyone would call it the coo shed either? :greengrin

Eaststand
16-10-2016, 05:32 PM

Agreed- I started going to ER in the mid 60s and its always been the coo shed for me too

GGTTH

cabbageandribs1875
16-10-2016, 05:32 PM
I have no idea why anyone would call it the coo shed either? :greengrin

coo is slang for cow :cb i've called it the coo shed on many occasions :)

i still often call the south stand the Dunbar end

leggeto
16-10-2016, 05:34 PM

That's what I was saying, cave for **** sake,I was brought up in the cowshed

leggeto
16-10-2016, 05:39 PM
Aye I got got ma nappies changed behind they goals

Feed McGraw
16-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Mid 60s when I started going it was the Cowshed. I'd never heard it called the cave till recentlyI`m really surprised at that Tom, I`d have thought no matter what you called it, you`d have least heard people call it " The Cave" which IMHO was it`s most common name until they decided to put the benches in it.

linlithgowhibbie
16-10-2016, 06:09 PM
I`m really surprised at that Tom, I`d have thought no matter what you called it, you`d have least heard people call it " The Cave" which IMHO was it`s most common name until they decided to put the benches in it.

I'm the same, always knew it as the cow shed and I've been going since before it was built, Never heard of it being called the cave till I read it on here

alhibby
16-10-2016, 06:09 PM
I`m really surprised at that Tom, I`d have thought no matter what you called it, you`d have least heard people call it " The Cave" which IMHO was it`s most common name until they decided to put the benches in it.

Correct, was always the cave to me:agree:

CockneyRebel
16-10-2016, 06:11 PM

Been going to ER since 1981 and have never heard it called anything else but the Cave by anybody - depends which crowd of pals you hung with back in the day I suppose.

cabbageandribs1875
16-10-2016, 06:18 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Road

Between the two tiers of the Famous Five Stand there are function suites and lounges.[19] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Road#cite_note-east_stand_timeline-19)[22] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Road#cite_note-Inglis452-22) Before the stands were rebuilt in the 1990s, the north and south ends of Easter Road were known as the Cowshed and Dunbar End respectively

wiki is correct :agree: :)

Qwestion next

edit: didn't realise the FF and south stands are 21 years old, should have a wee party

Golden Bear
16-10-2016, 06:28 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Road

Between the two tiers of the Famous Five Stand there are function suites and lounges.[19] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Road#cite_note-east_stand_timeline-19)[22] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Road#cite_note-Inglis452-22) Before the stands were rebuilt in the 1990s, the north and south ends of Easter Road were known as the Cowshed and Dunbar End respectively

wiki is correct :agree: :)

Qwestion next

edit: didn't realise the FF and south stands are 21 years old, should have a wee party

Nah, whoever supplied the info to Wilki was wrong. And that's final!

Kojock
16-10-2016, 06:30 PM
Was the Coo Shed when I started going in the 60's also heard it being called the Cave later on.

Mr White
16-10-2016, 06:31 PM
Always called it the cowshed in the late 80s early 90s. Had seasons there in 92/93 when we drew v anderlecht and then the roof blew off in a storm shortly before we lost 3-4 in a highly entertaining match v the oldco tax cheats.

cabbageandribs1875
16-10-2016, 06:42 PM
Nah, whoever supplied the info to Wilki was wrong. And that's final!

but..but..

twas the cowshed..fact

Feed McGraw
16-10-2016, 06:59 PM
For me it was really when the benches went in early seventies it lost it`s cave tag and just became another run of the mill cowshed, I`ve no doubt that some guys called it a cowshed before that but I think most guys and maybe guys of a certain age (bus pass holders now) :greengrin called it the cave.

Liam978
16-10-2016, 07:01 PM
The old concrete enclosure behind the goals at the north end was always the"cowshed".

Feed McGraw
16-10-2016, 07:10 PM
The old concrete enclosure behind the goals at the north end was always the"cowshed". Not always, Liam. It was mainly called "The Cave" when it was first built 50 years ago.

iwasthere1972
16-10-2016, 07:16 PM
Coo-shed during my early years of supporting the Hi bees in the mid 60's.

Feed McGraw
16-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Coo-shed during my early years of supporting the Hi bees in the mid 60's. Maybe it did depend on who you knocked around with to a certain extent but I`m surprised " Cooshedders" never heard of "The Cave" - gobsmacked, in fact :greengrin.

iwasthere1972
16-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Maybe it did depend on who you knocked around with to a certain extent but I`m surprised " Cooshedders" never heard of "The Cave" - gobsmacked, in fact :greengrin.

Well I once queued up at half time for about fifteen minutes to buy a couple of pies only to be told that they only sold match programs. So don't take my word for it. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
16-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Where I sat, on wooden benches, when I 1st started going to ER and it was always the cowshed to me.

Cowshed
Terracing
Main stand
Dunbar End

lyonhibs
16-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Cowshed for me.

northstandhibby
16-10-2016, 07:44 PM
Where I sat, on wooden benches, when I 1st started going to ER and it was always the cowshed to me.

Cowshed
Terracing
Main stand
Dunbar End

The main stand was sub-divided into the North where I was with my Dad for many a year, the Centre which was mainly for the better off and the South.

The two standing sections below us were known as the Standing Enclosures.

GGTTH

Pretty Boy
16-10-2016, 07:46 PM
The main stand was sub-divided into the North where I was with my Dad for many a year, the Centre which was mainly for the better off and the South.

GGTTH
Yep, I'm sure there was a 'family enclosure' at some point as well prior to the FF being built.

I always referred to the entire structure as just the main stand though.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

northstandhibby
16-10-2016, 07:53 PM
Yep, I'm sure there was a 'family enclosure' at some point as well prior to the FF being built.

I always referred to the entire structure as just the main stand though.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Yes it was mostly referred to as the main stand although the North always started the stamping of the feet and the chant of 'Hi bees Hi bees' which I enjoyed immensely.

I don't remember the Cow shed as the Cave but as there seems to be many who do.

GGTTH

erin go bragh
16-10-2016, 08:01 PM
Always the cave but I always went to the terrace . Remember being in the cave when we knocked Celtic out the cup . Benny just had to score his pen but missed , then up stood Pierce O'Leary and done likewise. They had closed the terracing , think the roof was getting put on it .

Feed McGraw
16-10-2016, 08:14 PM
Well I once queued up at half time for about fifteen minutes to buy a couple of pies only to be told that they only sold match programs. So don't take my word for it. :greengrin Scrunch the programme up, add a bit o` broon sauce and ye`d never know the difference ! :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
16-10-2016, 08:55 PM
coo is slang for cow :cb i've called it the coo shed on many occasions :)

i still often call the south stand the Dunbar end

I still call it the coo shed, and i still call the away end the dunbar end. :agree:

Jonnyboy
16-10-2016, 09:28 PM
I still call it the coo shed, and i still call the away end the dunbar end. :agree:

Ditto. It's an age thing :greengrin

IberianHibernian
16-10-2016, 09:54 PM
Started going to ER in late 60s and always knew it as " The Cave " . The Shed was at Tynecastle ( and probably other grounds like Dens ) or for those interested in English football ( not many till about 90s ) at Stamford Bridge but I don`t ever remember the Cowshed being used at ER . In mid 1972 when Tom Hart decided that he didn`t want to hear so many traditional Hibs songs sung from the bottom of the slope press reported seating of the Cave not Cowshed 8 was closed off for Derby ( 2v0 with Hibs in all green ) then gradually seated to kill atmosphere and songs . Think that end was only covered in about 1965 anyway so names will have started about then .

Forza Fred
17-10-2016, 12:47 AM
In a discussion in the pub the now , has the cowshed had any other names

Was going to Easter Road before the 'covered terracing' was built and it was ALWAYSonly known to me as the 'coo shed'

I emigrated in 1974 and when I left I had never ever heard it referred to as 'the cave

fat freddy
17-10-2016, 06:12 AM
I always called it The Seated Enclosure, I knew The West Stand as The Centre Stand and The Two Wing Stands, The East was The Terracing and The South was The Dunbar End. Anyone remember The 50 Club under The Centre Stand?

Forza Fred
17-10-2016, 06:22 AM
I always called it The Seated Enclosure, I knew The West Stand as The Centre Stand and The Two Wing Stands, The East was The Terracing and The South was The Dunbar End. Anyone remember The 50 Club under The Centre Stand?

Never had seats in my time.

ACLeith
17-10-2016, 06:30 AM
Ditto. It's an age thing :greengrin

And I still enjoy seeing us kicking "doon the slope" in the second half 👍

SON OF PADDY
17-10-2016, 07:09 AM
Always the cave but I always went to the terrace . Remember being in the cave when we knocked Celtic out the cup . Benny just had to score his pen but missed , then up stood Pierce O'Leary and done likewise. They had closed the terracing , think the roof was getting put on it .

It might be a age thing ? but my memory of that night was standing under the floodlights " beside the shed " on the main terrace.
Took along a Celtic pal to that game he turned out to be a lucky charm,as he also came along to Benny's hat trick match against them.
For some funny reason he never did come back with me 😂

bigwheel
17-10-2016, 08:44 AM

don't think the terracing was fully closed...pretty sure I recall standing on it watching this game..

jgl07
17-10-2016, 08:47 AM

There was. It was the enclosure in front of the North wing of the Main Stand. We used to sit there. It had two disadvantages, One if it rained you got wet and plastic cagoules were issued for this purpose.

Two it was behind the visiting team's dugout which could block your view especially if the visiting manager and coach insisted on standing. If they were standing, you would have to stand. The stewards would come over and ask us to sit down, we would point to the dugout and tell them to get the coaches to sit down.

You could see the expressions on their faces when things were going wrong. Ivan Golac was a joy to watch when Hibs, and especially Kevin Harper ripped Dundee United apart in the opening match immediately after they won the Scottish Cup. He sat slumped with his head in his hands after every goal went in.

I can also recall Alex McLeish having a bad day when Motherwell were beaten. He absolutely did his nut when the second goal was given as he claimed it was offside. In video replays it was proved that Harper was five yards onside when the ball was passed.

greenginger
17-10-2016, 08:58 AM
And I still enjoy seeing us kicking "doon the slope" in the second half ��

" Opponents lose all hope ,
when we get them down the slope :singing:

Hibernian , give us a goal ! "

We should maybe sing it now, remind them what we're waiting for. :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-10-2016, 09:25 AM
I've only saw it being called The Cave on here.

Carheenlea
17-10-2016, 11:27 AM
It seems to be if you're over 50 it was The Cave, and under 50 it was the Cow Shed.
Or another way of putting it is you saw Turnbull's Tornadoe's in their pomp, you watched from The Cave, and if you started attending when Benny Brazil and Duncan Lambie were on show, you watched from The Cow Shed (through your fingers).

cabbageandribs1875
17-10-2016, 11:35 AM
It seems to be if you're over 50 it was The Cave, and under 50 it was the Cow Shed.
Or another way of putting it is you saw Turnbull's Tornadoe's in their pomp, you watched from The Cave, and if you started attending when Benny Brazil and Duncan Lambie were on show, you watched from The Cow Shed (through your fingers).

i've read quite a few exceptions to that....myself included :wink:

where's the poll starters when you need them :)

Peevemor
17-10-2016, 11:39 AM
I always called it The Seated Enclosure, I knew The West Stand as The Centre Stand and The Two Wing Stands, The East was The Terracing and The South was The Dunbar End.

Ditto

Anyone remember The 50 Club under The Centre Stand?

Vaguely - but I do remember it in the basement of the printers across the road. Hibs also had offices on the first floor of the same building for a few years.

matty_f
17-10-2016, 11:46 AM

Cowshed
Terracing
Main stand
Dunbar End

Aye. With the exception that the main stand was split into North, South, and Centre.

cabbageandribs1875
17-10-2016, 11:57 AM
also the two standing areas below the old main stand were the north and south enclosures, hertz/the old firm used to get the west of the main stand and the south enclosure

iirc :hmmm:

Forza Fred
17-10-2016, 12:14 PM

Exact opposite as far as I am concerned..........:confused:

NAE NOOKIE
17-10-2016, 12:27 PM
Was going to Easter Road before the 'covered terracing' was built and it was ALWAYSonly known to me as the 'coo shed'

I emigrated in 1974 and when I left I had never ever heard it referred to as 'the cave

Same as me ... since my first game in 1975 I've probably watched 70% of my Hibs games from behind that goal and as far back as then it was always the Coo Shed, I had never heard of it being referred to as 'The Cave' until pretty recently on here.

Feed McGraw
17-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Exact opposite as far as I am concerned..........:confused: No Fred !! Anyone under 50 would NOT call it The Cave, but many people late fifties/sixties WOULD call it that.

Feed McGraw
17-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Same as me ... since my first game in 1975 I've probably watched 70% of my Hibs games from behind that goal and as far back as then it was always the Coo Shed, I had never heard of it being referred to as 'The Cave' until pretty recently on here. By 1975 NN, "The Cave" had probably become known mainly as The Cowshed", but, before that from say, roughly 1966/67 to 1971/72 it was affectionately known by ( obviously not all going by this thread ) IMHO, most residents as "The Cave". A much better name than the common old "Cowshed" don`t you agree ?

Jonnyboy
17-10-2016, 03:05 PM
Was always the cowshed to me but I guess that with no internet in those days, a poll was not an option :greengrin

Feed McGraw
17-10-2016, 03:19 PM
Was always the cowshed to me but I guess that with no internet in those days, a poll was not an option :greengrin Very true JB :greengrin.

ancient hibee
17-10-2016, 05:47 PM

GGTTH

I was one of the better off in the centre stand.Season ticket nine quid in 1969. We always knew the edifice behind the goals as "what the f&&& is that supposed to be"when we first saw it.

cabbageandribs1875
17-10-2016, 05:52 PM
By 1975 NN, "The Cave" had probably become known mainly as The Cowshed", but, before that from say, roughly 1966/67 to 1971/72 it was affectionately known by ( obviously not all going by this thread ) IMHO, most residents as "The Cave". A much better name than the common old "Cowshed" don`t you agree ?

oh yes, cave dwellers sounds a lot better :faf:

it was the cowshed before barratts built arthur's seat :)

Tom Hart RIP
17-10-2016, 06:15 PM
The old north and south stands were benches and the centre stand was wooden seats.
You got into the north stand next to where the ticket office is. Great atmosphere but they liked a moan.
I may be wrong but think the shed was seated in the early 70s. It was closed after a mega riot when we hammered Rangers 3-0 in the Drybrough Cup. No segregation in those days. I used to wear a hard workers hat painted green which probably saved my life

northstandhibby
17-10-2016, 06:40 PM
I was one of the better off in the centre stand.Season ticket nine quid in 1969. We always knew the edifice behind the goals as "what the f&&& is that supposed to be"when we first saw it.

Us plebs in the North were separated from the Centre by a slightly raised green painted wooden divider. Could see over no problem though and remember mostly suits, sheepskins or camel hair coats in there. Mind you I was just a kid at the time.

Don't know what our seats in the North cost because my Dad would buy them for us every year and made sure I went with him hail rain or shine.

I remember entering and going up the big wide wooden steps.

Loved it.

GGTTH

Bishop Hibee
17-10-2016, 06:54 PM
My Grandpa, dad and 2 of his brothers had Season Tickets for the North Stand 2 in the second row and 2 in the third right next to the wire fence separating it from the Centre Stand. From the late 70s through to the stand being demolished. I'd sometimes get the use of a ST if one of them couldn't make it. Some real characters sat round about. An Italian looking bloke used to lean over the edge hurling abuse at the ref. How he never ended up head first in the enclosure below is a mystery. An elderly well dressed gent in the Centre Stand had a phone presumably to call his report in to his newspaper.

Often watched the match through a fug of pipe, cigar and cigarette smoke. Happy days!

northstandhibby
17-10-2016, 07:00 PM
My Grandpa, dad and 2 of his brothers had Season Tickets for the North Stand 2 in the second row and 2 in the third right next to the wire fence separating it from the Centre Stand. From the late 70s through to the stand being demolished. I'd sometimes get the use of a ST if one of them couldn't make it. Some real characters sat round about. An Italian looking bloke used to lean over the edge hurling abuse at the ref. How he never ended up head first in the enclosure below is a mystery. An elderly well dressed gent in the Centre Stand had a phone presumably to call his report in to his newspaper.

Often watched the match through a fug of pipe, cigar and cigarette smoke. Happy days!

Positioned on top of the green painted wooden divider if I remember rightly.

They were indeed very happy days in there.

GGTTH

Feed McGraw
17-10-2016, 08:49 PM
oh yes, cave dwellers sounds a lot better :faf:

it was the cowshed before barratts built arthur's seat :) Always be the cave to me and many other "Cavemen" :greengrin Have you ever smelt a cowshed ? :greengrin

Forza Fred
18-10-2016, 01:15 AM
T,!'will always be the Cowshed to me......but moving along on a related note.

Dunno why, but around 72 or 73 as a group we left the Cowshed and took up residence in what was then the North Enclosure.

My old man had a season ticket.....for the centre stand, and I can still recall the seat number.

As far as I am aware this was the only area season tickets were sold for the ground in the early 70's.

Anybody confirm this?

Wee Effen Bee
18-10-2016, 01:58 AM
Always be the cave to me and many other "Cavemen" :greengrin Have you ever smelt a cowshed ? :greengrin

The things you learn on here. I'm in my fifties and the first time I have heard of the coo/cow shed being known as 'the cave' is on this thread. I started going to ER in the sixties and I don't know any other hibby who called it that. My brothers, who started taking me to fitba when I was young, are all older and it was always the coo/cow shed to them. Was it maybe down to where you lived Feed - more of a colloquial saying from that particular area?
South stand, centre stand, north stand, cow shed, east and Dunbar end.

northstandhibby
18-10-2016, 07:49 AM

Dunno why, but around 72 or 73 as a group we left the Cowshed and took up residence in what was then the North Enclosure.

My old man had a season ticket.....for the centre stand, and I can still recall the seat number.

As far as I am aware this was the only area season tickets were sold for the ground in the early 70's.

Anybody confirm this?

My Dad started taking me to games as far as I remember when I was around five or six year old. Must have been around 1975/76 and he had season tickets every year for the North Stand for us until I began attending myself without my Dad around 1984/85. I then started going to the terracing with friends.

Now I'm a regular back into the Main Stand which is now the West Stand.

As far as I'm aware FF the old North Stand was selling Season Tickets back as far as 1975/76 as well as the Centre Stand.

They were known as a Season Book rather than a Season Ticket back then as they had a hardback front and back cover if I remember rightly.

And I vividly remember the Golden Goal Girls as being of a young kid at that age does.

The Standing Enclosures down below us had a good solid atmosphere.

Anyone give their experiences of being in the North Standing Enclosure?

It would be good to hear some of the older fans talk about their nostalgic tales.

GGTTH

Golden Bear
18-10-2016, 08:06 AM
Always be the cave to me and many other "Cavemen" :greengrin Have you ever smelt a cowshed ? :greengrin

:agree:

Once a troglodyte always a troglodyte.

:greengrin

Feed McGraw
18-10-2016, 09:58 AM
:agree:

Once a troglodyte always a troglodyte.

:greengrin :thumbsup:

ancient hibee
18-10-2016, 06:17 PM

Anybody confirm this?

I'm almost certain that when I got my centre stand season in 1969 it was the only area they were available for.I went up to the office in the stand and they had a list of seats,I then went upstairs and chose one off the list H11 I'm pretty sure,a few rows behind the directors box.I was given the ticket book after handing over £9(roughly half a weeks wage for me then) so there had been deep discussions with her indoors first.Actually wasn't much dearer,if anything,than going to the ground for every match.Cup ties and friendlies were included.

Forza Fred
18-10-2016, 11:31 PM
My Dad started taking me to games as far as I remember when I was around five or six year old. Must have been around 1975/76 and he had season tickets every year for the North Stand for us until I began attending myself without my Dad around 1984/85. I then started going to the terracing with friends.

Now I'm a regular back into the Main Stand which is now the West Stand.

As far as I'm aware FF the old North Stand was selling Season Tickets back as far as 1975/76 as well as the Centre Stand.

They were known as a Season Book rather than a Season Ticket back then as they had a hardback front and back cover if I remember rightly.

And I vividly remember the Golden Goal Girls as being of a young kid at that age does.

The Standing Enclosures down below us had a good solid atmosphere.

Anyone give their experiences of being in the North Standing Enclosure?

It would be good to hear some of the older fans talk about their nostalgic tales.

GGTTH

We ....Carlton Branch members who included such luminaries as Big Frank Dougan, former supporters association council member Ronnie Williamson and former Association Chairman Ronnie Ferguson...we're all cowshedders until about 1972, when we moved to take up residence in the North Enclosure.
Exactly why we moved was kinda lost in the mists of time, so I put a trans continental call into Mr. Ferguson last night. His memory is that we moved because it was a lot easier to get a 'carry-oot' into the north enclosure than it was the cow shed.........changed days indeed!

Forza Fred
18-10-2016, 11:36 PM
I'm almost certain that when I got my centre stand season in 1969 it was the only area they were available for.I went up to the office in the stand and they had a list of seats,I then went upstairs and chose one off the list H11 I'm pretty sure,a few rows behind the directors box.I was given the ticket book after handing over £9(roughly half a weeks wage for me then) so there had been deep discussions with her indoors first.Actually wasn't much dearer,if anything,than going to the ground for every match.Cup ties and friendlies were included.

Remember the old man's ticket book well....my brother reckons he's still got his last one.

j35 was his number, so he wouldn't have been that far away from you.

northstandhibby
19-10-2016, 08:29 AM
We ....Carlton Branch members who included such luminaries as Big Frank Dougan, former supporters association council member Ronnie Williamson and former Association Chairman Ronnie Ferguson...we're all cowshedders until about 1972, when we moved to take up residence in the North Enclosure.
Exactly why we moved was kinda lost in the mists of time, so I put a trans continental call into Mr. Ferguson last night. His memory is that we moved because it was a lot easier to get a 'carry-oot' into the north enclosure than it was the cow shed.........changed days indeed!

What you say mirrors my younger self recollection of the North Standing Enclosure fans.

They mostly seemed to arrive near the kick off quite boisterous as if just rushed out the pubs with a good drink in them but perfectly well enough behaved.

(Although every section of the ground had its latecomers of course)

My Dad made sure we arrived at least one full hour on our North Stand bench seats before kick off every single match God Bless him.

They seemed mostly working class young men in there (North Standing Enclosure) although a mixture of ages and much better dressed than the younger ones today that's for sure.

Easter Road was much more divided into its sections then much more then than it is now.

Good memories.

GGTTH

Tom Hart RIP
19-10-2016, 09:08 AM
I used to stand at the barrier on the upper terracing on the east. Perfect view as no one could stand in front. I had to get in early to claim my spot for the big games. In those days Rangers and Celtic would bring 20k plus with no segregation. The shed would be divided with only a stairway to seperate both sides. Cans and bottles would be thrown from both sides and there would be regular charges particularly if/when we were winning. Celtic fans in particular used to invade the pitch if they were getting beat. Also in those days you could change ends at half time to stand behind the goals we were shooting into. Great memories

Golden Bear
19-10-2016, 11:37 AM
I used to stand at the barrier on the upper terracing on the east. Perfect view as no one could stand in front. I had to get in early to claim my spot for the big games. In those days Rangers and Celtic would bring 20k plus with no segregation. The shed would be divided with only a stairway to seperate both sides. Cans and bottles would be thrown from both sides and there would be regular charges particularly if/when we were winning. Celtic fans in particular used to invade the pitch if they were getting beat. Also in those days you could change ends at half time to stand behind the goals we were shooting into. Great memories

Always a good spot to watch the ensuing battles as the opposing fans met while in the process of "changing ends" at half time.

:greengrin

kaimendhibs
19-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Seem to remember it being the Seated Enclosure

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tom Hart RIP
19-10-2016, 01:00 PM

I think they made it all seated after the riot when we beat Rangers in 1972 Drybrough Cup semi final.
Can anyone confirm this or is my memory playing tricks?

northstandhibby
19-10-2016, 01:25 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcZ0yrTT45c

Classic match 1978 you can clearly see the standing enclosures.

With all due respect of course.

GGTTH

kaimendhibs
19-10-2016, 01:35 PM

GGTTH
Cant remember when the benches were put in. Remember being in a god awful crush with my feet off the ground when they opened gate to let us in from east in pouring rain

northstandhibby
19-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Cant remember when the benches were put in. Remember being in a god awful crush with my feet off the ground when they opened gate to let us in from east in pouring rain

Used to enjoy watching the yams or huns getting soaked when the Dunbar end was the relatively only uncovered part of ER.

I don't remember very well either when the seats went in to the old standing enclosures which did indeed become known as the seated enclosures. Maybe around the late 80s early 90s?

Remember the poor souls in there with their ponchos.

GGTTH

hibbie02
19-10-2016, 01:53 PM
I started off in the Terracing (Upper Tier) and moved over the Cave in the 70s. Ended up as a resident of the Northern Enclosure of the main stand (usually pished) in the early and mid 80s.

Tom Hart RIP
19-10-2016, 01:53 PM
The shed became the seated enclosure after they put the benches in.

Early 90s I think Hibs put seats in the old standing enclosure.

I remember sitting there in 94/95 when we beat Hearts 3-1. A guy next to me sang continuously for 10 mins 'Henry Henry what's the score?' Henry Smith was on the bench. Eventually someone shouted' FFS Henry just tell him and **** him up' even Henry laughed.

Kato
19-10-2016, 01:55 PM

It was that season seats were put in the Cave, around about the time of the Lisbon/Besa CWC matches.

tamig
19-10-2016, 02:28 PM

GGTTH
Think he meant the Cave/Cowshed was also known as the Seated Enclosure. The standing enclosure was always in front of the stand. You can see the benches clearly in the area now occupied by the Famous Five.
I went to my first game in 72 as a young lad and there were always benches under that shed behind the goal.
I've also heard of it referred to as both the Cave and the Cowshed just to contribute to the debate. I always called it the Seated Enclosure myself.

northstandhibby
19-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Think he meant the Cave/Cowshed was also known as the Seated Enclosure. The standing enclosure was always in front of the stand. You can see the benches clearly in the area now occupied by the Famous Five.
I went to my first game in 72 as a young lad and there were always benches under that shed behind the goal.
I've also heard of it referred to as both the Cave and the Cowshed just to contribute to the debate. I always called it the Seated Enclosure myself.

:aok:

Gotcha,

Slightly before my time of my starting attendance of around 75/76, great to read some of these posts though.

I had no idea the old cow shed was called the cave or the seated enclosure. Looking back at it you can see why some of the slightly older hi bees called it either or.

GGTTH

Carheenlea
03-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Saw this image online from pre shed/cave debate.

http://i63.tinypic.com/xe3ifa.jpg

HIBERNIAN-0762
03-11-2016, 09:39 AM
Was never called the cowshed in the early 60s when I started going, then it was just plain "Shed" many memorable days and nights in there.

linlithgowhibbie
03-11-2016, 08:49 PM
Was never called the cowshed in the early 60s when I started going, then it was just plain "Shed" many memorable days and nights in there.

I'm pretty sure it wasn t there in the early 60s.

Was always the shed to me and my mates:thumbsup:

cmcd
03-11-2016, 09:21 PM
I'm pretty sure it wasn t there in the early 60s.

Was always the shed to me and my mates:thumbsup:

No the shed /cave was not there in the early 60s

Mr White
03-11-2016, 09:30 PM
The roof was built in 64/65 wasn't it?

IberianHibernian
03-11-2016, 10:42 PM
Saw this image online from pre shed/cave debate.

http://i63.tinypic.com/xe3ifa.jpgGreat photo presumably from late 50s or early 60s . My first match in the Cave ( still really surprised to read this " Shed " stuff since I don`t remember it being called that at all and when Hart closed off end before putting in seats just before 2 v 0 Derby win in autumn 1972 because he didn`t like traditional songs being sung press talked of " The Cave " ) . Not much of Cave end was got rid of before cover was built . Imagine the atmosphere we could have had if club had decided to build a roof over main terracing in 70s ?

JohnMcM
04-11-2016, 03:59 PM
Very off topic, however, just for fun again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BBpeHh1T2mc