PDA

View Full Version : Neil Lennon

Spike Mandela
15-10-2016, 04:12 PM
Ok we are top of the league by the skin of our teeth after playing all teams once but after a few good results in first 4-5 league games we have seemed to lose the ability to score.

Valiant effort in Eurupe but ultimately out, out of League cup and Irn bru cup.

What are your thoughts on Lennon's impact? A popular choice for many but others like myself skeptical? I don't actually see any real impact. In my opinion we are if anything a slightly poorer team to watch and very mediocre in some positions.

Can and will Neil turn it round or do we need some major work in January?

Waxy
15-10-2016, 04:15 PM
Playing with 10 men in three matches and still being top is not bad.

Carheenlea
15-10-2016, 04:18 PM
He has overseen our top of league placing after first round of fixtures, and I expect him to push the team forward as the weeks progress.

familyman
15-10-2016, 04:20 PM
Ok we are top of the league by the skin of our teeth after playing all teams once but after a few good results in first 4-5 league games we have seemed to lose the ability to score.

Valiant effort in Eurupe but ultimately out, out of League cup and Irn bru cup.

What are your thoughts on Lennon's impact? A popular choice for many but others like myself skeptical? I don't actually see any real impact. In my opinion we are if anything a slightly poorer team to watch and very mediocre in some positions.

Can and will Neil turn it round or do we need some major work in January?

It is VERY FRUSTRATING the way we are playing and it must be said Neil's signings are not pulling their weight as of yet. I think Lennon is still trying to sort out this lot and bemused to some extent..however he has a real job to do between now and January to get goals mainly and keep everyone on the park....we can give him a little time yet but for sure if we have not opened up a gap by January then a rethink is on the cards fast..it is a shame really that he had to learn live about the abilities or lack of for some players but that is what happens when a new manager comes along,so we can wait another 2/3 months max to see that gap appear...otherwise we are back in yet another dog fight with some dubious attitudes around...As a regular I would add what we are watching and paying for is not value for money this team is underperforming yet again...:flag:

Spike Mandela
15-10-2016, 04:20 PM
Playing with 10 men in three matches and still being top is not bad.

Have you been impressed with Lennon's Hibs is what I am asking. We are top but in my opinion should be miles ahead of a poor Utd and Falkirk but they are breathing down our necks.

Unseen work
15-10-2016, 04:22 PM
When he was first appointed I felt he was far too naive.

He seemed to think the squad was very strong and he just needed to add one or two faces.

An opinion I think a lot of fans disagreed with.

A lack of signings in the transfer window that actually improve our team is costing us. We made 5 signings in the summer I think? Only 2 started today.

I personally think in January we will see a lot of players come in and a lot leave.

He also has to lay off Jason's back, he has publically criticised him about 3 weeks in a row.

Jason's edge has always been his arrogance and calm nature. Now we are seeing a very frustrated player as there is a lot of pressure on him after lennons comments

Waxy
15-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Have you been impressed with Lennon's Hibs is what I am asking. We are top but in my opinion should be miles ahead of a poor Utd and Falkirk but they are breathing down our necks.
I'm not bothered how we go up as long as we do.i was impressed with Hibs a fair bit last two seasons under Stubbs but it didn't take us up.

ancient hibee
15-10-2016, 04:37 PM
It is VERY FRUSTRATING the way we are playing and it must be said Neil's signings are not pulling their weight as of yet. I think Lennon is still trying to sort out this lot and bemused to some extent..however he has a real job to do between now and January to get goals mainly and keep everyone on the park....we can give him a little time yet but for sure if we have not opened up a gap by January then a rethink is on the cards fast..it is a shame really that he had to learn live about the abilities or lack of for some players but that is what happens when a new manager comes along,so we can wait another 2/3 months max to see that gap appear...otherwise we are back in yet another dog fight with some dubious attitudes around...As a regular I would add what we are watching and paying for is not value for money this team is underperforming yet again...:flag:

Have I got this right?You think it takes 2/3 months for a new manager to get to grips with the job so we might have to get another new man in January?And let him then take another 2/3 months!

neil7908
15-10-2016, 04:39 PM
I was delighted when we brought in Lennon and he still retains my support but I've been disappointed by how little impact he's had. The team looks and plays the same way as last season with the same flaws and weaknesses.

Maybe it was too much to expect him to change things completely. None of his signings have set the heather alight so my hope is that he is watching, learning and biding his time until January when we can look at bringing in reinforcements.

Whether he overestimated our squad, underestimated the league or has just been unlucky I'm not sure.

PeterboroHibee
15-10-2016, 04:40 PM
Its a difficult one with Lennon. His main objective is to get us out of the league, and we are top. If we are top of the end of the season, job done.

However, I think we are probably worse than last year (not necessarily the team, just our general play), I dont think any of his signings have really worked so far, and he has so far failed to address our main issue - scoring goals. If this isnt sorted, its going to be a far more testing season than it should be, as, despite what some fans think, I do believe we have by far the best group of players.

SneakersO'Toole
15-10-2016, 04:43 PM
Serious room for improvement IMO. We are not playing well and look devoid of a clinical and ruthless style of play required to win this league.

Dashing Bob S
15-10-2016, 04:43 PM
I think we're about to improve again. We haven't hit our best form and are still top of the League. If the referee's allow us to play with eleven men, then we'll win most of our away games. It will stay frustrating at home until we learn to monster teams with pace and width and put away our chances.

NAE NOOKIE
15-10-2016, 04:44 PM
Top of the league tonight which is better than not being, but we cant expect to stave off the challenge of Falkirk and Dundee Utd if we don't get the finger out and start scoring some goals. Say what you like about the defence, but the truth is they rarely if ever lose more than one goal in a game, even when we have lost two we were down to 10 men.

I keep saying it, but my view of Lennon is that he should better than most managers be able to solve the conundrum of setting up a team to unlock packed defences, this was his Job at Celtic for 4 years and he did it pretty well, I expect him to use that experience to do a similar job at Easter Road and I will find it pretty difficult to support him if he doesn't.

As things stand we have managed to ride out a poor run of form and some terrible refereeing decisions without suffering catastrophic damage, but we cant go on relying on our competitors to throw away points like QOTS did today .... Dundee Utd have 3 wins and a draw in their last 4 and Falkirk have the same, Hibs have 1 defeat and 3 draws in that period.

If that trend continues we will be in real trouble ...... I wouldn't say Hibs dominate games any less under Lennon than we did under Stubbs, but if anything our inability to turn that dominance into goals is even worse than it was in the last two seasons. If this doesn't change we will have to be looking to pull a rabbit out of the hat striker wise in January.

My opinion on Lennon so far is that he is no better than Stubbs was league wise and considerably worse in cup games ..... must do better.

WhileTheChief..
15-10-2016, 05:06 PM
I think we're top of the league because of Lennon and dread to think where we might have been if he wasn't our manager.

I just don't think a lot of our players are that good. All the regular first team names are pretty average to me.

The transfer window was a let down, I hope he makes a couple of changes in January.

Still think we will have a gap between us and the rest by the end of the next round of fixtures.

lucky
15-10-2016, 05:15 PM
I liked his reaction at the end of the game. He went straight up to the ref and let him know what he thought then enthusiastically applauded the fans. We will kick on and win this league

blackpoolhibs
15-10-2016, 05:17 PM
I dont think Lennon thought we were as mediocre a side as we are seeing now. I also think and it will go against the grain here, but i think he will cash in on Cummings as soon as he can now after seeing what he's all about.

In my opinion this team needs much more than just Cummings scoring, and there is major surgery needed that cant be done without the money he would bring in.

Cummings when not scoring is a man short and Lennon has seen this with his own eyes.

bingo70
15-10-2016, 05:21 PM
I dont think Lennon thought we were as mediocre a side as we are seeing now. I also think and it will go against the grain here, but i think he will cash in on Cummings as soon as he can now after seeing what he's all about.

In my opinion this team needs much more than just Cummings scoring, and there is major surgery needed that cant be done without the money he would bring in.

Cummings when not scoring is a man short and Lennon has seen this with his own eyes.

Yes and I think Keatings could well be a decent replacement for him. If JC doesn't start scoring soon though I'm not sure how much interest there'll be.

CallumHibs07
15-10-2016, 05:21 PM
The referees clearly don't like him which doesn't help. Amazing how many bad decisions we've been on the end of since he's come in. He got it at Celtic too. If it's a level playing field we romp the league.

WhileTheChief..
15-10-2016, 05:25 PM
Agree 100% about Cummings.

I think Lennon would now jump at the chance of us getting the kind of money that was quoted previously.

cam2644
15-10-2016, 05:26 PM

A lot of that is true but nobody else is scoring much either so the blame doesn't lie entirely with Cummings.

Hi Heid Yin
15-10-2016, 05:26 PM
If the 5 wins had been spread over the 9 games, maybe I wouldn't feel so bad, but our form is worrying - no wins in the last 4 games - and, no, I'm not ignoring the fact that we have played with 10 men in 3 of these games. The same failings of last season were all too evident in these games before each sending off.
It's concerning that the most talented midfield in Scotland (outwith Celtic) is offering nothing more than the midfield of all our rivals.
So much talent, so much possession, but with no end result, no penetration, and an abysmal shortage of goals.

We are witnessing a dry spell from Jason Cummings and (as most of us had feared) nobody but nobody has stepped up to the plate - even Keatings goals return is pitiful, despite some good performances.

The only consolation is that we are, miraculously and ironically, top of the league after the first round - albeit on goal difference.

Neil Lennon gets a 5/10 from me, as (the Morton 4-0 aside) I really expected him to have addressed and fixed the failings of the past 2 years and have us dominating and blowing away teams in the manner that both Hearts and The Rangers did in their promotion-winning seasons.

emerald green
15-10-2016, 05:28 PM
I keep saying it, but my view of Lennon is that he should better than most managers be able to solve the conundrum of setting up a team to unlock packed defences, this was his Job at Celtic for 4 years and he did it pretty well, I expect him to use that experience to do a similar job at Easter Road and I will find it pretty difficult to support him if he doesn't.

The problem for Neil Lennon at Hibs is that he doesn't have anything like the quantity and quality players he had at his disposal at Celtic.

blackpoolhibs
15-10-2016, 05:51 PM
A lot of that is true but nobody else is scoring much either so the blame doesn't lie entirely with Cummings.

I'm not blaming Cummings, far from it in fact.

HappyAsHellas
15-10-2016, 06:09 PM
I didn't understand Lennon taking off Keatings today and not Cummings as he had contributed much more to the game. The saddest part was that the subs didn't take their chance to change the result. I thought he could have made the changes ten minutes sooner as it was clear Holt was running (and I use the term loosely) on empty, even though his contribution was very good in parts. I do remember Jason falling over looking for fouls to be given when all he had to do was hold the ball up, a part of his game he needs to get rid off, and the sooner the better. Lennon was out of his seat pretty quickly in the later part of the second half telling Jason to get up off his backside. If he feels that dropping him might help solve this problem then he has my backing.

FifeHibs
15-10-2016, 06:20 PM
Holt effort was outstanding the 70 meter sprint he made back for an interception showed great work rate.

lumbo_hfc
15-10-2016, 06:39 PM
I didn't understand Lennon taking off Keatings today and not Cummings as he had contributed much more to the game. The saddest part was that the subs didn't take their chance to change the result. I thought he could have made the changes ten minutes sooner as it was clear Holt was running (and I use the term loosely) on empty, even though his contribution was very good in parts. I do remember Jason falling over looking for fouls to be given when all he had to do was hold the ball up, a part of his game he needs to get rid off, and the sooner the better. Lennon was out of his seat pretty quickly in the later part of the second half telling Jason to get up off his backside. If he feels that dropping him might help solve this problem then he has my backing.
Looked like keatings had picked up a wee knock, he was limping for a bit but looked to have ran it off. If he was still fit I wouldn't have taken him off, he was our biggest threat and his delivery was very good. Don't know why you've had a wee dig at holt because if there's one thing he does do is run and knock his pan in. At one point he was back defending at in the right back position.

Sir David Gray
15-10-2016, 07:10 PM
Should do better.

Unseen work
15-10-2016, 08:08 PM
When Lennon first arrived he was giving it "the players will know what I expect and will not fall below it " blah blah blah

Well that's 5 games on the trot they have been below it Neil. Even the games we won weren't the most convincing.

Let's stay out the papers for a while and concentrate on the job in hand

HappyAsHellas
15-10-2016, 08:34 PM
Looked like keatings had picked up a wee knock, he was limping for a bit but looked to have ran it off. If he was still fit I wouldn't have taken him off, he was our biggest threat and his delivery was very good. Don't know why you've had a wee dig at holt because if there's one thing he does do is run and knock his pan in. At one point he was back defending at in the right back position.

I said that his contribution today was very good, his work rate is very good, but he's never going to be what you would term as pacey.