PDA

View Full Version : John Park leaves Celtc

Heisenberg
14-10-2016, 03:16 PM
http://www.celticfc.net/news/11447

Would Hibs try and bring him back? Was he the man behind the golden generation?

Jack Hackett
14-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Where's the 'fingers crossed' smiley when you need it? He's worked with Lennon, so there must be a chance. :fingerscrossedsmiley:

California-Hibs
14-10-2016, 03:25 PM

Yep, I believe he was!

Jack
14-10-2016, 04:57 PM
I hope Hibs at least give him a call.

silverhibee
14-10-2016, 05:05 PM

Donald Park

Jack Hackett
14-10-2016, 05:15 PM
Donald Park

Wrong Park bud

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Park

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/6291133.stm

zlatan
14-10-2016, 05:17 PM
Hopefully both he and Donald Park fancy the gig Brian McLair just chucked with the SFA. We're fine with George Craig.

Jack Hackett
14-10-2016, 05:31 PM
Hopefully both he and Donald Park fancy the gig Brian McLair just chucked with the SFA. We're fine with George Craig.

From the BBC article linked above

"Garry O'Connor, Kenny Miller, Kevin Thomson, Derek Riordan and Scott Brown have all emerged from Easter Road while Park was youth academy director."

George Craig has been with us for 2 years now and I'm at a loss to think of anyone even close to the players named above currently at Hibs

Edit

...Steven Fletcher doesn't get mentioned in that article, but he was one of Parks boys as well. The Hibs academy was rightly lauded 10 years ago, unlike now when you'd struggle to find any mention of it anywhere

lucky
14-10-2016, 05:36 PM
George Craig role is Director of Football not Academy manager or Chief Scout. So it's not his job to develop players

dmc1875
14-10-2016, 05:37 PM

If John Park is available he's a far better option than George Craig

beensaidbefore
14-10-2016, 05:40 PM

"Garry O'Connor, Kenny Miller, Kevin Thomson, Derek Riordan and Scott Brown have all emerged from Easter Road while Park was youth academy director."

George Craig has been with us for 2 years now and I'm at a loss to think of anyone even close to the players named above currently at Hibs

Edit

...Steven Fletcher doesn't get mentioned in that article, but he was one of Parks boys as well. The Hibs academy was rightly lauded 10 years ago, unlike now when you'd struggle to find any mention of it anywhere

Whittaker? Arguably the one has played at the highest level for the longest period.

Also Murray, albeit he was at Dundee utd until 16.

GreenNWhiteArmy
14-10-2016, 05:40 PM

Great idea and hopefully the SFA at least contact him about a role. The nation is in a horrible state and as a club we're doing alright just now so would prefer the focus to be on the country

AlbertK86
14-10-2016, 05:43 PM
Donald Park

John Park scouted them all.

Donald Park then coached them all.

Both equally responsible for golden generation

PiemanP
14-10-2016, 05:44 PM
I don't think it helps that we've had 3 managers in a row who pretty much refuse to play our youth players. Riordan, brown et al wouldn't be half the players they were if they weren't put into the first team at a young age and allowed to express themselves.

Andy74
14-10-2016, 05:45 PM

Edit

It'll take longer than 2 yrs.

There also must have been a few years when no one of note came through either which could suggest we got a bit lucky.

BoltonHibee
14-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Hull, amongst other English clubs were after him a wee while back. Maybe with Bruce going to Villa he's off there.

Stantons Angel
14-10-2016, 05:48 PM
George Craig role is Director of Football not Academy manager or Chief Scout. So it's not his job to develop players

You are correct!

John Park was the Academy director and a top talent scout for Hibs too. Donald Park was a well respected youth coach during John's tenure at the academy.

The Golden Generation were all brought through under John and Alistair Stevenson's time there.

Its funny how this has all come up after a picture of him with Petrie was published on facebook and he had been reported as having attended two youth development games recently too.

Watch this space maybe?

Bostonhibby
14-10-2016, 05:49 PM
They can use my HSL money to tempt him back

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

silverhibee
14-10-2016, 07:22 PM

John Park never scouted O'Connor or Riordan and a few others that have been mentioned.

Donald had a bigger influence getting these players to the club.

Viva_Palmeiras
14-10-2016, 07:32 PM
If John Park is available he's a far better option than George Craig

Is anyone speaking from first hand experience here - spoken to folks ? Just wondering the basis for comparison ?

In my time watching Hibs (since Miller time) I've can recall a time when recruits hit the ground running. With the academy it's more than one individual. That takes time to nurture. It's never as easy as flipping a switch esp where Hibs are concerned.

Hibby Bairn
14-10-2016, 07:42 PM
Our "Academy" is "producing" no one that seems capable of playing in the second tier of Scottish football.

Either not being run properly or is a waste of time and money.

Jim44
14-10-2016, 08:43 PM
The consensus on Kerrydale Street is that it's a Brenden Rodgers' sacking and a long term commitment to Celtic. They are over the moon at his departure. They're crossing fingers that Lawwell will be the next for the chop. Does Rogers hold that power?

BoltonHibee
14-10-2016, 08:51 PM
The consensus on Kerrydale Street is that it's a Brenden Rodgers' sacking and a long term commitment to Celtic. They are over the moon at his departure. They're crossing fingers that Lawwell will be the next for the chop. Does Rogers hold that power?

He has brought in an awful lot of dross of late, some of which have been questioned. I heard he was punted also.

monktonharp
14-10-2016, 09:20 PM
Great idea and hopefully the SFA at least contact him about a role. The nation is in a horrible state and as a club we're doing alright just now so would prefer the focus to be on the countryno way would I prefer him to concentrate on the "Scottish scene" . I'd be delighted to see him back with us, even if it meant bringing in a new position of high heid yin of yoof fitba'. Park was the best of the rest imho. him being pinned on to the Scotland situation would be a waste. over the years and also right now, we see national managers bringing in players from the English leagues, that were born doon there and we don't know or cant emphasise with. most have been journey men, and don't have the guts and determination required for a small nation to improve.

Smartie
14-10-2016, 09:22 PM

I don't think it helps that we've had 3 managers in a row who pretty much refuse to play our youth players. Riordan, brown et al wouldn't be half the players they were if they weren't put into the first team at a young age and allowed to express themselves.

I think Bobby Williamson should get a bit of credit for giving the players a chance in the first team, a chance they all took.

Deansy
14-10-2016, 09:24 PM
Just get him back !

monktonharp
14-10-2016, 09:28 PM
I think Bobby Williamson should get a bit of credit for giving the players a chance in the first team, a chance they all took.

I will never give credit to that man. apart from being another cup final loser against a real diddy team, his team played some horrendous fitba'. Nope, nae blobby prize

Smartie
14-10-2016, 09:37 PM
I will never give credit to that man. apart from being another cup final loser against a real diddy team, his team played some horrendous fitba'. Nope, nae blobby prize

Bobby Williamson dismantled a team of high earners, gave a lot of young players opportunities at a time when there was ridiculous financial doping going on by other clubs and didn't ever come close to getting us relegated.

I don't exactly long for the glory days of his tenure but I'm happy to acknowledge some of his achievements.

He left a decent platform for Mowbray to build on, a better one than most of our other managers in recent years have left behind.

jgl07
14-10-2016, 09:50 PM
The only reason Blobby played them was because Hibs were skint and couldn't raise the cash to sign Bobby Mann.

hibees 7062
14-10-2016, 10:56 PM
John Park never scouted O'Connor or Riordan and a few others that have been mentioned.

:agree: -

silverhibee
14-10-2016, 11:36 PM

Correct, if my memory is right I'm sure McCleish gave O'Connor his chance while Riordan had to settle for the bench, and then Sauzee introduced Riordan into the team, and then Williamson moulded them, O'Connor I think was a 1st team pick by then, sure it was a game against Aberdeen where Williamson hooked Gaz and McManus for Brown & Riordan and they were superb that day the two of them, and then Whittaker and Thomson came in to the team and I think then we "the fans" new we had a good bunch of commited lads all wanting to play and do well at Hibs.

And then Mowbray took over and transformed this young team with a few additions to the team to become the most entertaining team in Europe, we were getting plaudits from everyone, can't remember what 3-0 it was for us at Ibrox but there was a Dutch manager in the stand watching Rangers for a champion league game through the week, he gave us a glowing reference about being the best counter attacking team he had seen.

Been a long time since we seen football being played like that. :greengrin

silverhibee
14-10-2016, 11:42 PM

Sorry to disagree bud but Bobby has to get some credit for putting together the start of the Golden generation.

He had to give the youth players a chance as we as a club were in a bit of a mess and the young lads I'm sure will be grateful of him that he gave them there chance and they all took it.

jacomo
14-10-2016, 11:52 PM
Correct, if my memory is right I'm sure McCleish gave O'Connor his chance while Riordan had to settle for the bench, and then Sauzee introduced Riordan into the team, and then Williamson moulded them, O'Connor I think was a 1st team pick by then, sure it was a game against Aberdeen where Williamson hooked Gaz and McManus for Brown & Riordan and they were superb that day the two of them, and then Whittaker and Thomson came in to the team and I think then we "the fans" new we had a good bunch of commited lads all wanting to play and do well at Hibs.

And then Mowbray took over and transformed this young team with a few additions to the team to become the most entertaining team in Europe, we were getting plaudits from everyone, can't remember what 3-0 it was for us at Ibrox but there was a Dutch manager in the stand watching Rangers for a champion league game through the week, he gave us a glowing reference about being the best counter attacking team he had seen.

Been a long time since we seen football being played like that. :greengrin

Plus Steven Fletcher, who was 17 when he got into the 1st squad.

Mowbray rated him but was worried he was still too callow for a central role, so he'd bring him on for 30 mins on the wing. Even then, they said he was the best of the lot, and judging by his career they weren't wrong.

silverhibee
15-10-2016, 12:14 AM
:agree: -

They were being scouted by Hibs at a very early age, pretty sure it was Martin Ferguson that scouted them for Hibs, Donald Park was already aware of them.

silverhibee
15-10-2016, 12:35 AM
Plus Steven Fletcher, who was 17 when he got into the 1st squad.

Mowbray rated him but was worried he was still too callow for a central role, so he'd bring him on for 30 mins on the wing. Even then, they said he was the best of the lot, and judging by his career they weren't wrong.

I would think that Brown has had the best career out of them all, he has won league titles, cups, captained his team and country and played against some of the best teams in Europe in the champions league, he will go down as one of the greats at Celtc and see out his career with them, and he has probably been Celtc's highest paid player at the club since he joined them so won't be short of a few bob.

Fletcher has had a decent career down in England and made a fortune, a lot more than Brown that's for sure, but Fletch will only be able to look back at his healthy bank balance and his winners medal with Hibs, Brown can do both and and see a lot more winners medals with Hibs & Celtc and memories of playing in games against the crop of Europe.

Fletch and that left foot of his have done well though. :greengrin

monktonharp
15-10-2016, 01:39 AM
Sorry to disagree bud but Bobby has to get some credit for putting together the start of the Golden generation.

He had to give the youth players a chance as we as a club were in a bit of a mess and the young lads I'm sure will be grateful of him that he gave them there chance and they all took it.I agree, to a certain degree and realise that Mowbray inherited a crop of great young players, who then went on to win a cup for the manager after Mowbray. still rankles me though, when a Hibernian manager says.....if it's entertainment you want......although he won the SC with Killie, if I recall.

Libby Hibby
15-10-2016, 04:05 AM
Did blobby not try and off load Riordan and Whittiker for some Inverness huddy before their eventual break through or is my memory playing tricks?

Edit : Bobby Mann perhaps?

15-10-2016, 10:57 PM
Did blobby not try and off load Riordan and Whittiker for some Inverness huddy before their eventual break through or is my memory playing tricks?

Edit : Bobby Mann perhaps?

Yes understand Blobby wanted Bobby Mann as centre half and was willing to swap in return for Witty and Deek. The Inverness CT Assistant Manager at the time was no other than Donald Park who obviously knew both players pretty well. Also understand the Board blocked the move on the advise of John Park.

GreenNWhiteArmy
15-10-2016, 11:06 PM
no way would I prefer him to concentrate on the "Scottish scene" . I'd be delighted to see him back with us, even if it meant bringing in a new position of high heid yin of yoof fitba'. Park was the best of the rest imho. him being pinned on to the Scotland situation would be a waste. over the years and also right now, we see national managers bringing in players from the English leagues, that were born doon there and we don't know or cant emphasise with. most have been journey men, and don't have the guts and determination required for a small nation to improve.

That kinda backs up why I'd want him involved at international level. Scottish fitbaw needs a radical overhaul. To be honest I'd love a government intervention even if it did mean banning from there corporate events but unfortunately that'll never happen because nobody in there was the balls to stand up and change it.

A larger league and someone with a real determination to obtain the best young talent developing at club level throughout the country.

To be honest,I dini even ken why I just typed that cause it's never gonna happen is it? Scottish fitbaw just pathetically stumbles along

silverhibee
15-10-2016, 11:36 PM
Yes understand Blobby wanted Bobby Mann as centre half and was willing to swap in return for Witty and Deek. The Inverness CT Assistant Manager at the time was no other that Donald Park who obviously knew both players pretty well. Also understand the Board blocked the move on the advise of John Park.

Williamson put things straight a few years ago in a interview, he made a enquiry about Mann but that was far as it went as when the players were asked about it they said they wanted to stay at Hibs and that was basically it.

It was never going to happen and had nothing to do with John Park.

15-10-2016, 11:44 PM

:agree: Despite people thinking to the contrary he has no influence over bringing players through to the first team.
There are a lot of unhappy kids and parents in the youth system these days who no-longer see a pathway to the 1st team.

We've already lost a couple of our best prospects to Celtic and Rangers in the last 12 months.
Falkirk supporting friend who had a lot of contact with CG when he was there leaves him nameless.

1875STEVE
16-10-2016, 01:41 AM
Was John Park's role not more scout than youth.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, that John Park was who found the likes of Murphy, Boozy, Hogg, Jones, Shiels, Killen, Zemmama & Benji???

Was there not a documentary on tv of a scout, unsure of his name, who was in his 70's, who Mowbray took with him when he went to Middlesbrough, who was employed by us and was part of Park's team and who they gave big kudos too as well??

I'm maybe taking absolute drivel of course....

hibbysam
16-10-2016, 08:39 AM
:agree: Despite people thinking to the contrary he has no influence over bringing players through to the first team.
There are a lot of unhappy kids and parents in the youth system these days who no-longer see a pathway to the 1st team.

We've already lost a couple of our best prospects to Celtic and Rangers in the last 12 months.
Falkirk supporting friend who had a lot of contact with CG when he was there leaves him nameless.

I think you will find that is more to do with cost cutting exercise. We cannot afford to run the academy as we were while stuck in this division paying premier league wages. The club has quite clearly sacrificed the academy the past few years to put all cash towards the first team. If I am being honest at this moment, I couldn't care less if a 13 year olds da who supports Rangers isn't happy because his laddie isn't getting a game in our first team, I'm more interested in our first team winning games and getting promoted. Once we are back up and got plenty cash behind us, then we can start to plough money back into other areas of our business.

Tyler Durden
16-10-2016, 08:49 AM
Williamson put things straight a few years ago in a interview, he made a enquiry about Mann but that was far as it went as when the players were asked about it they said they wanted to stay at Hibs and that was basically it.

It was never going to happen and had nothing to do with John Park.

Never going to happen because the players didn't want to leave, still shows the incompetence of Williamson that he even considered it!

John Park has done well for Celtic with the likes of Wanyama and Van Dijk but it's no surprise or disgrace if Rodgers starts to exert more influence and get his own man in.

sleeping giant
16-10-2016, 09:30 AM
Blobby was forced to give the young team a chance due to our cost cutting which happened after Blobby signed on with us .
IIRC it was reported that he was on a million pound 5 year deal which also had to be ripped up due to cost cutting.

He had to give them a chance and he got lucky.

blackpoolhibs
16-10-2016, 10:06 AM
Blobby was forced to give the young team a chance due to our cost cutting which happened after Blobby signed on with us .
IIRC it was reported that he was on a million pound 5 year deal which also had to be ripped up due to cost cutting.

He had to give them a chance and he got lucky.

I remember an interview from blobby about Scott Brown, he said he was nowhere near the first team but because of injuries and suspensions, he had to throw him in for his first game.

We know the rest, i agree he got lucky it appears he had no other choice but put the kids in at that time.