PDA

View Full Version : Auction Original 1972 League Cup Poster up for grabs. (Charity Cycle Marie Curie)

Leithenhibby
14-10-2016, 10:11 AM
I'm cycling from Edinburgh Castle to the rock of Gibraltar for Marie Curie, Sep 2017.

As part of my fundraising I'm auctioning this original 72' League Cup poster.
I decided not to mount it so that you can see the condition and the 'Evening News Souvenir Poster' at the bottom.

A mount could be added to take away the corners, but I wanted to show the fact that this belonged to a 12 year old boy at the time and it's 44 years old on it's next anniversary.

The auction will run until midnight October 31st. Poster size - 500x700 Approx.

Good Luck :wink:

G B Young
14-10-2016, 10:25 AM
I remember that poster. A really iconic memento of a much-loved era in Hibs' history and probably quite a rarity so I hope its raises a lot of money for a very good cause. I don't think the condition of it will matter much. The retro look actually adds to the appeal and as you say a good framer will probably be able to bring out the best in it.

BSEJVT
14-10-2016, 12:57 PM
I'm cycling from Edinburgh Castle to the rock of Gibraltar for Marie Curie, Sep 2017.

I decided not to mount it so that you can see the condition and the 'Evening News Souvenir Poster' at the bottom.

A mount could be added to take away the corners, but I wanted to show the fact that this belonged to a 12 year old boy at the time and it's 44 years old on it's next anniversary.

The auction will run until the midnight October 31st. Poster size - 500x700 Approx.

Nice to see that poster again

Adorned my bedroom wall for a good few years in its day

Leithenhibby
15-10-2016, 01:04 PM
I remember that poster. A really iconic memento of a much-loved era in Hibs' history and probably quite a rarity so I hope its raises a lot of money for a very good cause. I don't think the condition of it will matter much. The retro look actually adds to the appeal and as you say a good framer will probably be able to bring out the best in it.

:agree:
Exactly what the framer said. To add the mount would be easy and not expensive at all.

Nice to see that poster again

Adorned my bedroom wall for a good few years in its day

:thumbsup:

Leithenhibby
19-10-2016, 07:45 AM
Bump... :wink:

Iggy Pope
19-10-2016, 12:00 PM
Where's the auction details friend?

Leithenhibby
19-10-2016, 12:32 PM
Where's the auction details friend?

Here and now on this thread, it will close on 31st October at midnight.

Surprisingly there hasn't been as bid yet, but then I suppose there's plenty time. :cb

I'm also running it on my facebook page as I aim to raise 20k for Marie Curie.

https://www.facebook.com/Scot-to-Rock-567141970100559/?ref=bookmarks

Carheenlea
19-10-2016, 12:37 PM
No idea what you are looking at by way of opening bids, but I'll get it up and running with a £20 bid.

Yuillsy
19-10-2016, 12:41 PM
I've got that poster framed in my house. We found it in a suitcase after my father-in-law died.
Got it framed for my Mrs the following Christmas.
Hope it raises you loads mate, Good luck!!

Ringothedog
19-10-2016, 12:44 PM
For a great cause..well done.

I will bid £50

Leithenhibby
19-10-2016, 12:48 PM
No idea what you are looking at by way of opening bids, but I'll get it up and running with a £20 bid.

Thank you for getting it up and running. :wink:

For a great cause..well done.

I will bid £50

Very much appreciated.

This is also running on the Bounce, and I shall keep everyone up to date as quickly as I can. :aok:

BurghHibby
19-10-2016, 02:38 PM
I'll bid a £100.

Had this on my bedroom wall for years, dunno what what happened to it though.

Leithenhibby
19-10-2016, 03:08 PM
I'll bid a £100.

Had this on my bedroom wall for years, dunno what what happened to it though.

Thank You :aok:

Iggy Pope
20-10-2016, 10:19 AM
£200. Good luck. Great sacrifice for a great cause.

Leithenhibby
20-10-2016, 02:07 PM
£200. Good luck. Great sacrifice for a great cause.

Excellent, thank you so much.

GGTTH

Bidding closes at midnight 31st October..

Leithenhibby
22-10-2016, 10:05 AM
I do appreciate that many won't be interested, or indeed have the money to spare on this item.

Currently sitting at £200

But, if you'd like to make a small donation and take this beyond the 10% mark, I, and Marie Curie, would be very grateful. :aok:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/gordon-smith57

Leithenhibby
23-10-2016, 10:02 PM
Delighted to have reached the 10% mark so soon.

Thank you so much for your support.

Hibs class :wink:

BurghHibby
25-10-2016, 12:46 PM
Delighted to have reached the 10% mark so soon.

Thank you so much for your support.

Hibs class :wink:

I'll bump it up to £250

Iggy Pope
25-10-2016, 02:57 PM
I'll bump it up to £250

Great shout and good luck Burgh. I'm out.

Leithenhibby
25-10-2016, 03:07 PM
I'll bump it up to £250

Thank you so much, it's very much appreciated.

Great shout and good luck Burgh. I'm out.

Don't lose it for a tenner! :greengrin

Seriously, thank you for your support.
GGTTH

CraigHibee
28-10-2016, 09:53 PM
If I had the spare cash I would bid, great picture

Leithenhibby
29-10-2016, 09:58 AM
If I had the spare cash I would bid, great picture

It is a great picture/poster, that looks even better when mounted. It is framed, all that would be additional is a mount (not expensive)

Whether it's on the Hibs wall, in the Hibs room or even the Hibs house it will look fantastic next to the framed Scottish cup memorabilia :cb

GGTTH

Bostonhibby
29-10-2016, 10:04 AM

It is a great picture/poster, that looks even better when mounted. It is framed, all that would be additional is a mount (not expensive)

Whether it's on the Hibs wall, in the Hibs room or even the Hibs house it will look fantastic next to the framed Scottish cup memorabilia :cb

GGTTH

:agree: Used to have one myself but nae idea where it went :boo hoo:

Sadly my hibs memorabilia spending is now ott for this year so the very impressive bid is beyond me.

Wee idea for your cause - is it worth getting good quality A3 Size copies made and selling the for say £10 to raise funds before you finally send it to the highest bidder?

Leithenhibby
29-10-2016, 10:19 AM
:agree: Used to have one myself but nae idea where it went :boo hoo:

Sadly my hibs memorabilia spending is now ott for this year so the very impressive bid is beyond me.

Wee idea for your cause - is it worth getting good quality A3 Size copies made and selling the for say £10 to raise funds before you finally send it to the highest bidder?

That very idea had crossed my mind many years ago, (for another biking challenge for Marie Curie) but I didn't want to infringe any copyright, if indeed there is any. Perhaps someone on .net could let us all know.

EDIT - Just had a wee look and there is indeed copyright. Perhaps I need to get together with EEN & Marie Curie. :wink:

hibsfan
29-10-2016, 10:28 AM
I have a mint one of these which has been sat in my loft for 20+ years in a cardboard tube. My Primary teacher gave it to me as a gift as it had belonged to her son and he didn't want it anymore... what a lady! Wouldn't sell it though.

Great cause - good luck!

Bostonhibby
29-10-2016, 11:07 AM
That very idea had crossed my mind many years ago, (for another biking challenge for Marie Curie) but I didn't want to infringe any copyright, if indeed there is any. Perhaps someone on .net could let us all know.

EDIT - Just had a wee look and there is indeed copyright. Perhaps I need to get together with EEN & Marie Curie. :wink:
Tell you what, gift me a copy and in return I will donate £20 of my own free will!

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Viva_Palmeiras
29-10-2016, 12:56 PM

Coincidentally I believe I may have had the pleasure of meeting the son of the artist that penned that poster (Gilzean?) Apparently it features in Trainspotting (the original) in one of the bedroom scenes when Renton is going cold turkey.
Spent a good time spraffing with him an an old school mate about that momentous day in May what it meant to us and hibbydom in general.

magpie1892
29-10-2016, 04:26 PM

I really wouldn't worry about IP of anything belonging to (by proxy) Johnston Press. TSPL (and JP) is an utter clusterf*** and they're trying to keep The Scotsman going on a paid-for circulation of about 20,000 daily now.

i.e. they've bigger fish to fry before the inevitable happens.

If I were you I would contact people you can trust that are interested in copies and do so on the QT and raise extra funds for the charity push. You've only got to wait another five years until it's public domain anyhow!

Iggy Pope
29-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Tell you what, gift me a copy and in return I will donate £20 of my own free will!

+ 1..........

northstandhibby
29-10-2016, 09:41 PM
£260 bid.

GGTTH

Leithenhibby
29-10-2016, 11:36 PM
£260 bid.

GGTTH

Thank you, much appreciated.
GGTTH

northstandhibby
29-10-2016, 11:42 PM
Thank you, much appreciated.
GGTTH

Your'e very welcome Sir.

GGTTH

Bostonhibby
30-10-2016, 12:10 AM
That's ridiculous.

How do you think people who are willing to bid feel thinking the poster might be handing out photocopies.

:confused:

GGTTH
A suggestion from me, to further increase the charity pot and maybe give a few more hibbies the chance to enjoy the poster/remember the occasion?

Bostonhibby
30-10-2016, 07:55 AM
I appreciate the thinking behind the scheme to obtain copies. However if that was the case why would I bid £260 when I could pick up a copy for let's say £20.

Who knows I may one day soon provide a different charity connected with Hibernian the bono fide souvenir if successful with the bid.

It was a nice try but I'm sure Leithenhibby will wish to maintain the provenance of his lovely possession he is auctioning off for charity to well meaning bidders.

:aok:

GGTTH
Nae problem, I'm out.

Leithenhibby
30-10-2016, 08:46 AM
That's ridiculous.

How do you think people who are willing to bid feel thinking the poster might be handing out photocopies.

:confused:

GGTTH

I appreciate the thinking behind the scheme to obtain copies. However if that was the case why would I bid £260 when I could pick up a copy for let's say £20.

Who knows I may one day soon provide a different charity connected with Hibernian the bono fide souvenir if successful with the bid.

It was a nice try but I'm sure Leithenhibby will wish to maintain the provenance of his lovely possession he is auctioning off for charity to well meaning bidders.

GGTTH

I think we can safely say there will be no photocopying of this item in any shape or form. These posters a extremely thin on the ground and I'd like to keep it that way to maximise the bidding for my chosen charity.

I can completely understand why many would like a copy of this piece of Hibernian history.

"Opponents lose all hope when we get them down the slope"

GGTTH

Should anyone wish to donate to this cause, please don't hesitate to chuck in a pound or two! https://goo.gl/j3Z6MM

Iggy Pope
30-10-2016, 02:05 PM

GGTTH

You've jumped off on one there.
Well done with your bid and I hope you get it, albeit for much more than you're offering now.
Boston suggested banging out A3 copies. If you know what you're bidding on, an original, then you'll know it's not sized at A3, nothing like it.
The 'nice try' bit doesn't do you any favours.
What action do you plan if say, Hibernian FC choose to start retailing copies at any size they like?

northstandhibby
30-10-2016, 02:41 PM
You've jumped off on one there.
Well done with your bid and I hope you get it, albeit for much more than you're offering now.
Boston suggested banging out A3 copies. If you know what you're bidding on, an original, then you'll know it's not sized at A3, nothing like it.
The 'nice try' bit doesn't do you any favours.
What action do you plan if say, Hibernian FC choose to start retailing copies at any size they like?

I'm actually pleased you have brought up the unnecessary wording I chose to use last night. I regretted it this morning saying what I did last night which was after my usual saturday night alcohol intake.

I hope no offence will be taken as I freely admit I should have been much more relaxed about it.

My brother who was born in 66 and was taken to the games at the start of the 70s had one of these until around the early eighties then it seemed to disappear so it is with a bit of nostalgia I'd like to bid on it

Sorry folks.

GGTTH

Iggy Pope
30-10-2016, 02:56 PM
I'm actually pleased you have brought up the unnecessary wording I chose to use last night. I regretted it this morning saying what I did last night which was after my usual saturday night alcohol intake.

I hope no offence will be taken as I freely admit I should have been much more relaxed about it.

My brother who was born in 66 had one of these until around the early eighties then it seemed to disappear so it is with a bit of nostalgia I'd like to bid on it.

Sorry folks.

GGTTH

Oi sparrer. Your username would suggest you should know a bit about that punk rocker. I could photocopy my pic sleeves of 'Borstal Breakout' or 'I Don't Wanna' to any old punk that didn't know better.
Anyway, good luck with your bid and if your big brother is born in 66 he can only have introduced you to the Hersham boys :wink:

Leithen
I think Bostons idea about reduced A3 copies for your cause is a good one. You've got the commodity there and you're only selling one original. Someone else will do it after all.

northstandhibby
30-10-2016, 03:14 PM
Oi sparrer. Your username would suggest you should know a bit about that punk rocker. I could photocopy my pic sleeves of 'Borstal Breakout' or 'I Don't Wanna' to any old punk that didn't know better.
Anyway, good luck with your bid and if your big brother is born in 66 he can only have introduced you to the Hersham boys

Leithen
I think Bostons idea about reduced A3 copies for your cause is a good one. You've got the commodity there and you're only selling one original. Someone else will do it after all.

Yip spot on my good man, I was one of these pesky younger brothers who would 'borrow' big bro's stuff.

GGTTH

tanfield
30-10-2016, 03:16 PM
Anyway, good luck with your bid and if your big brother is born in 66 he can only have introduced you to the Hersham boys :wink:

Leithen

Agree. I'm not seeing what the problem is really.

Copying the original does not necessarily make the original worth less. Any bidder is bidding on the basis that it is the original poster that is up for grabs.

superfurryhibby
30-10-2016, 04:14 PM
Agree. I'm not seeing what the problem is really.

Copying the original does not necessarily make the original worth less. Any bidder is bidding on the basis that it is the original poster that is up for grabs.

I've said for a long time that Hibs are missing trick with a retro goods range. The league cup poster is a rare item and one many older fans had on their walls. I'd love a copy of it now and taking into account copyright etc, would love to see it reproduced.

Would also like to see some collected Gilzean books. Maybe season 1972-73? Surely there would be enough of a market for select and well targetted goods?

Meanwhile well done to Leithen and the highest bidder so far. Good cause and admirable sacrifices all round methinks.

Leithenhibby
30-10-2016, 08:47 PM
I've said for a long time that Hibs are missing trick with a retro goods range. The league cup poster is a rare item and one many older fans had on their walls. I'd love a copy of it now and taking into account copyright etc, would love to see it reproduced.

Would also like to see some collected Gilzean books. Maybe season 1972-73? Surely there would be enough of a market for select and well targetted goods?

Meanwhile well done to Leithen and the highest bidder so far. Good cause and admirable sacrifices all round methinks.

Leithen

:agree: It is a good idea, from Boston, and one that I'm looking in to. Suffice to say that there will be a little homework required and as I said earlier, I completely understand why many would be happy with a reduced sized print (A3).

Watch this space!...

GGTTH

northstandhibby
30-10-2016, 09:03 PM

:agree: It is a good idea, from Boston, and one that I'm looking in to. Suffice to say that there will be a little homework required and as I said earlier, I completely understand why many would be happy with a reduced sized print (A3).

Watch this space!...

GGTTH

Don't you think it may be a good idea to start the bidding again with you now also potentially offering reduced sized prints of the original as the bidders too may be happy with a reduced sized print Leithenhibby?

I've never been involved in such a bidding process for an item where the seller then during the auction starts offering copies of the original item to others at a massive discount.

I've nothing against you doing it but is should have been clear from the start.

GGTTH

Leithenhibby
30-10-2016, 09:18 PM
Don't you think it may be a good idea to start the bidding again with you now also potentially offering reduced sized prints of the original as the bidders too may be happy with a reduced sized print Leithenhibby?

I've never been involved in such a bidding process for an item where the seller then during the auction starts offering copies of the original item to others at a massive discount.

I've nothing against you doing it but is should have been clear from the start.

GGTTH

I'm not offering copies Sham69, I agreed that the idea is a good one but I'm not offering copies.

There is copyright on the poster and I'm not about to start moving the goal posts at this, or any other stage of this auction. As Iggy says, there is only one original, there use to be a copy in the Cabbage and Ribs years ago!

northstandhibby
30-10-2016, 09:23 PM
I'm not offering copies Sham69, I agreed that the idea is a good one but I'm not offering copies.

There is copyright on the poster and I'm not about to start moving the goal post at this, or any other stage of this auction. As Iggy says, there is only one original and I'm sure there use to be a copy in the Cabbage and Ribs year ago!

Are you suggesting a smaller print does not technically mean it is a copy?

It may not be technically the same as it is smaller but for me it is still a copy of the original picture.

And the bidders may also have been happy with a smaller print.

I'm out. It's not got the same appeal to me now because I've found myself being drawn into a type of argument which at the time of bidding I had no idea I would have.

No hard feelings though.

GGTTH

Leithenhibby
30-10-2016, 09:33 PM
Are you suggesting a smaller print does not technically mean it is a copy?

It may not be technically the same as it is smaller but for me it is still a copy of the original picture.

And the bidders may also have been happy with a smaller print.

I'm out. It's not got the same appeal to me now because I've found myself being drawn into a type of argument which at the time of bidding I had no idea I would have.

No hard feelings though.

GGTTH

No, I'm not. I'm no lawyer, but copying something with copyright is an infringement of copyright.

Sham69, no offence taken, but an original is an original, and that's what's up for grabs.

Itsnoteasy
30-10-2016, 11:12 PM
I think we can safely say there will be no photocopying of this item in any shape or form. These posters a extremely thin on the ground and I'd like to keep it that way to maximise the bidding for my chosen charity.

I can completely understand why many would like a copy of this piece of Hibernian history.

"Opponents lose all hope when we get them down the slope"

GGTTH

Should anyone wish to donate to this cause, please don't hesitate to chuck in a pound or two! https://goo.gl/j3Z6MM

I bought the exact one you are auctioning for my dad's xmas last year. Hibernian retro was selling them. Think I paidabout £50 & it came in a cheap green frame

Leithenhibby
31-10-2016, 06:45 AM
I bought the exact one you are auctioning for my dad's xmas last year. Hibernian retro was selling them. Think I paidabout £50 & it came in a cheap green frame

It's not exactly the same. You paid £50 for a print. This is the original poster that came with the EEN, close on 44 years ago.

superfurryhibby
31-10-2016, 06:56 AM
Surely some are at the wind up.

Is there something about "original" poster that evades people. A copy is a copy.

As pointed out, there have been people making copies and flogging them on certain websites. This doesn't diminish the ORIGINALITY of the item for auction. Not quite grasping why this is such an issue. Feelng for the Leithen gadge, just give it a rest and either cop out or cough up!

Viva_Palmeiras
31-10-2016, 07:03 AM
:hijack:

Pretty Boy
31-10-2016, 07:10 AM
:hijack:

Indeed.

Can we get this back on track quickly please as I really don't have the desire nor the will to clean it up on a Monday morning.

Perhaps any questions about the item for sale, which seems clear to me, or potential copies, again the stance seems pretty clear to my eyes, can be addressed via PM and this thread can be left for bidding info.

Leithenhibby
31-10-2016, 07:45 AM
Surely some are at the wind up.

Is there something about "original" poster that evades people. A copy is a copy.

As pointed out, there have been people making copies and flogging them on certain websites. This doesn't diminish the ORIGINALITY of the item for auction. Not quite grasping why this is such an issue. Feelng for the Leithen gadge, just give it a rest and either cop out or cough up!

Indeed.

Can we get this back on track quickly please as I really don't have the desire nor the will to clean it up on a Monday morning.

Perhaps any questions about the item for sale, which seems clear to me, or potential copies, again the stance seems pretty clear to my eyes, can be addressed via PM and this thread can be left for bidding info.

Thank you, much appreciated. :wink:

Sitting at £250 All proceeds go to Marie Curie Cancer Care

Poster size 500x700 - Frame size 600x800 Approx

G B Young
31-10-2016, 11:12 AM
I really wouldn't worry about IP of anything belonging to (by proxy) Johnston Press. TSPL (and JP) is an utter clusterf*** and they're trying to keep The Scotsman going on a paid-for circulation of about 20,000 daily now.

i.e. they've bigger fish to fry before the inevitable happens.

If I were you I would contact people you can trust that are interested in copies and do so on the QT and raise extra funds for the charity push. You've only got to wait another five years until it's public domain anyhow!

I suspect you're right there. Having departed their historic North Bridge headquarters at the turn of the century for a purpose-built office at Holyrood, the Scotsman/Johnston Press now operate out of a single floor in Orchard Brae House. The nosedive in their fortunes has been breathtaking even by newspaper standards in these days of digital media.

I'd be amazed if any template or copyright documentation re the original poster still exists. Which is a shame in some ways as it's an iconic item and might have been something they could have reproduced to commemorate landmark anniversaries of the cup win (only six years until the 50th!). However, foresight does not appear to have been their forte and I was once told that the reason there are so few photos of the Famous Five era is because the picture editor of the time had most of the picture library's glass plate negatives destroyed to free up space!

BurghHibby
31-10-2016, 11:47 AM
Thank you, much appreciated. :wink:

Sitting at £250 All proceeds go to Marie Curie Cancer Care

Poster size 500x700 - Frame size 600x800 Approx

Is it not at £260 from Sham69?

Leithenhibby
31-10-2016, 11:56 AM

No, he pulled out, so it's yours as we stand :aok:

£250 latest Bid.

FranckSuzy
31-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Someone I know (name withheld to spare their :blushie: :wink:) paid £28 for a A4 print of this wonderful poster on a popular online auction site recently :cb :greengrin It's a Christmas pressie, as the original poster was lost many years ago, but I am sure there will be other fans who would like to own one again, in whatever guise :agree: Good luck, G :aok:

Iggy Pope
31-10-2016, 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=Leithenhibby;4848974]No, he pulled out, so it's yours as we stand :aok:

£250 latest Bid.

And good luck Burgh with your bid for what is a beautiful thing.
Not an A3, not an A4, but the size, shape and paper the ****ing thing came on in early 1973. Magic.

Some ***** on this thread and it still being added to, and it could do with an Admin clean up while Leithen does whatever the hell he likes with any reduced size photocopies he can handle. And if he PMS me I'll buy one.

Hibs07p
31-10-2016, 04:43 PM
It's not exactly the same. You paid £50 for a print. This is the original poster that came with the EEN, close on 44 years ago.

I,m pretty sure they were all prints. If IRC they were sold at 50p a time by the EEN, I don't remember the EEN giving them away. Had the same poster on my wall as a kid.

GGTTH
Scottish Cup Winners 2016

cabbageandribs1875
31-10-2016, 04:43 PM
shirly the new owner of said original poster should benefit from any 'copies' from the original poster

aye/nay

Iggy Pope
31-10-2016, 06:18 PM
No, he pulled out, so it's yours as we stand :aok:

£250 latest Bid.

Take my advice. Give Burgh your Facebook page address and take the auction over there.

BurghHibby
31-10-2016, 09:33 PM
Take my advice. Give Burgh your Facebook page address and take the auction over there.

I'm not on pusbook!

Leithenhibby
31-10-2016, 11:02 PM
I'm not on pusbook!

Well done Mr, you have yourself an original 1972 league cup poster :aok:

You have a PM.
GGTTH

hibeeleicester
29-11-2016, 03:24 AM

The auction will run until midnight October 31st. Poster size - 500x700 Approx.

Absoloutely brilliant mate. I drove it last month and that was bad enough!

Please give me a shout closer to the time and I'll be able to get some fundraising going here as well and some media coverage on GBC👍🏻

Leithenhibby
30-11-2016, 08:25 AM
Absoloutely brilliant mate. I drove it last month and that was bad enough!

Please give me a shout closer to the time and I'll be able to get some fundraising going here as well and some media coverage on GBC👍🏻

Ever feel you've bitten off more than you can chew?

Naw, me neither! :greengrin
I most certainly will give you a shout after the summer! Thanks for the support.