PDA

View Full Version : Callum Crane

Unseen work
13-10-2016, 06:37 PM
I read something on here recently about there being issues with him behind the scene and that is partly to do with why he has not got in the first team squad lately.

Is there any other information on this or does anyone else know anything?

Would like to see the guy progress as he looks a real prospect either in midfield or defence.

Cheers

UW

banarc7062
13-10-2016, 06:51 PM
I agree he is a potential solid left sided player for us who needs a run. All due respect to Hanlon but he is not as comfortable left sided. I heard from a source close to Crane that Falkirk was being mentioned. Hope that does not come about. Give the lad his chance.

Unseen work
13-10-2016, 06:55 PM
I agree he is a potential solid left sided player for us who needs a run. All due respect to Hanlon but he is not as comfortable left sided. I heard from a source close to Crane that Falkirk was being mentioned. Hope that does not come about. Give the lad his chance.

That would be typical.

Intrigued to what the issue is so many have discussed, doesn't seem to be the type of boy that would be difficult

Smartie
13-10-2016, 07:00 PM
I don't have any info relating to what may or may not have happened but I'd be more disappointed with Crane if he was just picking up a wage and accepting being second or third choice.

He's at the age when he needs to be playing football and I think it's a good sign that he's a bit agitated.

He had a slightly ropey spell in the Turriff game but generally did fine in that game and I thought he was excellent against Birmingham. These are the only times I've seen him play but I've only ever heard good things about how he's played for the development side.

I'd be disappointed to see him go.

Unseen work
13-10-2016, 07:07 PM
I don't have any info relating to what may or may not have happened but I'd be more disappointed with Crane if he was just picking up a wage and accepting being second or third choice.

He's at the age when he needs to be playing football and I think it's a good sign that he's a bit agitated.

He had a slightly ropey spell in the Turriff game but generally did fine in that game and I thought he was excellent against Birmingham. These are the only times I've seen him play but I've only ever heard good things about how he's played for the development side.

I will be disappointed with hibs if we lose him without ever really giving him a chance.

I expected Turriff to be a difficult game. They were on Tv and in a cup so everyone would of raised there game significantly

Also seems odd he is captain for the 20s too

Bostonhibby
13-10-2016, 07:09 PM

:agree: Kinda hoping he will come through and make a go of it, we're overdue another home grown player getting a regular place.

Famous Fiver
13-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Loan him to Falkirk by all means but DON'T sell him to them.
Why take the chance that he'll come back and bite us on the bum.

FWIW I think we should have done the same with Carmichael. I don't think he was a waste of a wage. He had a bad injury, we could have seen how he got on out on loan , then made the decision on whether to get rid.

Still NL gets paid to make these decisions. Let's hope he gets them right.

Billy Whizz
13-10-2016, 08:05 PM
I read something on here recently about there being issues with him behind the scene and that is partly to do with why he has not got in the first team squad lately.

Is there any other information on this or does anyone else know anything?

Would like to see the guy progress as he looks a real prospect either in midfield or defence.

Cheers

UW

Don't think there are any issues with him behind the scenes, other than he's a member of the 1st team pool, and Lennon overlooks him,and plays a centre back in his position instead

Hibby Bairn
13-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Don't think there are any issues with him behind the scenes, other than he's a member of the 1st team pool, and Lennon overlooks him,and plays a centre back in his position instead

Correct. Give the guy a wee run and a proper chance.

I am sure Crane can develop into a very good player.

Same goes for Martin ahead of Bartley imo.

Forza Fred
13-10-2016, 09:35 PM
I'm unaware of any 'behind the scen issues', I've watched him on TV against Birmingham and Turrif and am still puzzled as to why he seems to have been sidelined from possible first team action.

Nicho87
13-10-2016, 09:49 PM
Yes hanlon is better at centre half but lets not forget he played a hell of a lot of games at full back in his younger days.

Eyrie
13-10-2016, 10:03 PM
Yes hanlon is better at centre half but lets not forget he played a hell of a lot of games at full back in his younger days.

That was a long, long time ago.

Hanlon is now an established centre half and our best player at that position. Moving him to left back weakens our entire defence, and he's worse at providing width and crosses than Stevenson.

I'd play Crane if Stevenson isn't in the team, with the upside being that we could find we have a good player. if he struggles, then it's only one part of the defence that needs fixed and that can be done by bringing back Stevenson.

Tamhere1875
13-10-2016, 11:00 PM
The laddie played tonight against Aberdeen at Peterhead and had another good game .All I can say is that Callum will get his chance when the manager thinks he's ready .ps he also captained the side tonight.

indiejak1413
14-10-2016, 07:16 AM
I've watched a few 20s games this season and the lad has done very well even when he's played in midfield. Maybe NL doesn't want to put him under to much pressure especially when the 1st team aren't performing that well. IMHO I think he's the best left sided option we've got and should be given a chance.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Enough said
14-10-2016, 07:25 AM
Our management team don't see Callum as a left back hence the reason he has not really been given a shout!!

hibsbollah
14-10-2016, 07:28 AM
I'm not normally 'in the know' but I was recently told by an impeccable source in the club that Lennon had wanted to use him more as the season progressed, as everyone was so pleased with his performance against Birmingham. I was told this before Lewis' suspension, when Hanlon was moved to LB, which suggests Neil changed his mind at some point.

Brooster
14-10-2016, 07:29 AM
Its now time for the lad to be our left back.

JDHibs
14-10-2016, 08:58 AM
Crane was told he wasnt allowed to go out on loan in the summer, even though he asked to.

He was told he was back up to Stevenson, so obviously was very disgruntled when NL changed his whole defence about and moved Hanlon to LB.

Crane again asked to go out on loan, as the lad just wants to play first team football and not development games, which by the way he cruises through every game, again the loan move was turned down.

He was also told that he would be starting LB anywhere else in this league, but obviously Stevenson is the golden boy (I dont have any issues with Stevenson, i just think we can do better).

Real shame on the lad as hes kind of in a catch 22, he wants to play football but isnt allowed to go out on loan and must be hard to motivate yourself for development games when you are above that level, just not getting near the first team.

Will end up being another Callum Booth, go to a steady premiership team and do well.

Andy74
14-10-2016, 09:14 AM
Crane was told he wasnt allowed to go out on loan in the summer, even though he asked to.

He was told he was back up to Stevenson, so obviously was very disgruntled when NL changed his whole defence about and moved Hanlon to LB.

Crane again asked to go out on loan, as the lad just wants to play first team football and not development games, which by the way he cruises through every game, again the loan move was turned down.

He was also told that he would be starting LB anywhere else in this league, but obviously Stevenson is the golden boy (I dont have any issues with Stevenson, i just think we can do better).

Real shame on the lad as hes kind of in a catch 22, he wants to play football but isnt allowed to go out on loan and must be hard to motivate yourself for development games when you are above that level, just not getting near the first team.

Will end up being another Callum Booth, go to a steady premiership team and do well.

I'm afraid I don't share the indignation at this point.

Hibs are quite right to keep him if they think he will play a role at any stage this season.

He did well v Birmingham and not so well v Turiff. The coaching staff will know if he is ready or not.

I'm sure we can do better than Stevenson. Is Crane currently better than Stevenson? I doubt it right at this time, the coaching staff seem to doubt it.

I can understand us going with Hanlon recently - we had to make the switch mid game so that had to happen and after that the games have been pretty important and the team overall hasn't been doing that well so not really a time to take more risks.

Booth wasn't good enough ultimately, maybe a lesson to those who think the next young guy is always better than the one in the team. The league he is playing it isn't really relevant, he had to take steps down in terms of the club.

JDHibs
14-10-2016, 09:18 AM
I'm afraid I don't share the indignation at this point.

Hibs are quite right to keep him if they think he will play a role at any stage this season.

He did well v Birmingham and not so well v Turiff. The coaching staff will know if he is ready or not.

I'm sure we can do better than Stevenson. Is Crane currently better than Stevenson? I doubt it right at this time, the coaching staff seem to doubt it.

I can understand us going with Hanlon recently - we had to make the switch mid game so that had to happen and after that the games have been pretty important and the team overall hasn't been doing that well so not really a time to take more risks.

Booth wasn't good enough ultimately, maybe a lesson to those who think the next young guy is always better than the one in the team. The league he is playing it isn't really relevant, he had to take steps down in terms of the club.

Booth, the same lad thats now playing in a division above us and is a starter everyweek?

Nobody had a great game against Turriff. Hard to single anyone out.

TO be told you are back up to the starting left back then not even included in the squad, is a right slap in the face for a young lad.

J-C
14-10-2016, 09:39 AM
Our management team don't see Callum as a left back hence the reason he has not really been given a shout!!

Then why not play him in front of Stevenson at left midfield, jeez we're crying out for someone to play in that position, I bet both he and Lewis would build up a good understanding with each other.

Enough said
14-10-2016, 11:28 AM
Then why not play him in front of Stevenson at left midfield, jeez we're crying out for someone to play in that position, I bet both he and Lewis would build up a good understanding with each other.

Great shout

Andy74
14-10-2016, 11:31 AM

Probably because we don't play with a left midfield player and if we did would he play ahead of the current midfield players?

I'm all for supporting our young players but it gets a bit daft when we seem to feel better positioned than the coaching staff as to whether they are ready to fit in and where.

Super_JMcGinn
14-10-2016, 11:33 AM
Probably because we don't play with a left midfield player and if we did would he play ahead of the current midfield players?

I'm all for supporting our young players but it gets a bit daft when we seem to feel better positioned than the coaching staff as to whether they are ready to fit in and where.

Was about to write similar :aok:

J-C
14-10-2016, 12:35 PM

We tried to get the lad from Aberdeen, Pawlett who is a left sided midfielder is he not but the deal fell through.

We've spoken about width in the side and Crane has a gifted left foot and can deliver a good cross (Lennon played Boyle on the left, who is very right footed and gave no width due to cutting in all the time), if Lennon doesn't see him as a wingback, where does he see him as he's not being used in any of the games apart from Turiff.

By all accounts going by the guys that see him regularly in Dev games and what we've seen of him in his cameo appearances, Crane looks very capable of playing somewhere on the left of the team, whether that's at wingback or left midfield that is as you say for the manager to decide.

What is strange though is the fact Crane asked for a loan so he could play regular 1st team football but was knocked back being told he was Stevenson's backup, 1st opportunity to play backup and he's overlooked for a CH, no wonder the lad is seemingly a bit pissed off.

We go on about not giving youngsters game time and also not producing enough of them but when we have a good talented left back at the club he isn't given the chance to play, keep this up and it'll be another young lad away to another team.

greenlex
14-10-2016, 12:36 PM

Fair enough Andy but I find it bizarre that Crane wasn't in the starting line up on Saturday against bottom of our league in the diddiest of cups. If not Saturday then when. To play Hanlon there if Stevenson wasn't going to feature is almost beyond belief. There is something up with either Crane or Lennon. Perhaps both.

J-C
14-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Was about to write similar :aok:

Says someone who still thinks Hanlon is a waste of a jersey :confused:

Super_JMcGinn
14-10-2016, 01:18 PM
Says someone who still thinks Hanlon is a waste of a jersey :confused:

:thumbsup:

Eyrie
14-10-2016, 06:02 PM
Fair enough Andy but I find it bizarre that Crane wasn't in the starting line up on Saturday against bottom of our league in the diddiest of cups. If not Saturday then when. To play Hanlon there if Stevenson wasn't going to feature is almost beyond belief. There is something up with either Crane or Lennon. Perhaps both.

It does look that way.

Either Crane is ready for the first team, in which case he should have played against St Mirren, or he isn't in which case he should be out on loan until January to help him improve to the required standard. I can't see how more development games will help his progress.