PDA

View Full Version : St Mirren highlights

Unseen work
11-10-2016, 11:41 AM
After missing the game I have just had the opportunity now to watch the match highlights, couple of points about it.

Going by them shinnie looked and improvement on recent weeks and was involved a lot in the play

Harris took his goal very well, however find it bizarre Lennon ditched the wingers after half an hour

Our 2nd goal conceded was absolutely shocking, everything about it was awful.

Jordan Forster - something I have noticed the past couple of weeks. Why does he always get caught flat footed and square on? He looks like on of the easiest defenders to beat 1 vs 1 in the league when he does that.

Chances - Keatings missed an absolute sitter and Bartley and Forster need to do a lot better from there headers.

Start Cummings.

Where is Fontaine or is he past it?

Gatecrasher
11-10-2016, 11:48 AM
Shinnie was awful and rightly subbed.

BlackSheep
11-10-2016, 11:52 AM
After missing the game I have just had the opportunity now to watch the match highlights, couple of points about it.

Where are you seeing the highlights....?

Fontaine has been out injured for the past 8 games... back now but in need of game time....

Andy74
11-10-2016, 11:57 AM

Going by them shinnie looked and improvement on recent weeks and was involved a lot in the play

Harris took his goal very well, however find it bizarre Lennon ditched the wingers after half an hour

Our 2nd goal conceded was absolutely shocking, everything about it was awful.

Jordan Forster - something I have noticed the past couple of weeks. Why does he always get caught flat footed and square on? He looks like on of the easiest defenders to beat 1 vs 1 in the league when he does that.

Chances - Keatings missed an absolute sitter and Bartley and Forster need to do a lot better from there headers.

Start Cummings.

Lennon ditched the wingers because goal from Harris aside none of them did anything except run the ball into the first man.

Boyle in theory should be decent wide but I don't think he has the technique and ability to consistently get past players, he is much better when the ball is played past players for him to run on to.

Harris just doesn't have it.

In theory if playing wingers he should also have gone for one of our bigger strikers but to be honest that was never tested as they didn't get close to getting wide and getting crosses in.

Geo_1875
11-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Lennon ditched the wingers because goal from Harris aside none of them did anything except run the ball into the first man.

Boyle in theory should be decent wide but I don't think he has the technique and ability to consistently get past players, he is much better when the ball is played past players for him to run on to.

In theory if playing wingers he should also have gone for one of our bigger strikers but to be honest that was never tested as they didn't get close to getting wide and getting crosses in.

Boyle was played too deep to be effective. He plays much better in the last 30 yards than on the halfway line.

Harris does have it. He proved that with a good spell at QoS. He hasn't had a decent run in the team since coming back.

QMU-1875
11-10-2016, 12:07 PM

You cant come to that conclusion having watched this game. Harris was man of the match and rightly so, he was involved in everything positive from us and may have played himself in to the managers plans. It's about the only positive coming from Saturday, if he plays like that again Lennon wont be able to drop him.

JDHibs
11-10-2016, 12:09 PM
With regards Harris "not having it", when was the last time you seen one of our midfielders drive at a defender, take him on, beat him and look to shoot?

Not this season anyway...

With the rest of our midfielders being similar and playing pretty rubbish, Harris deserves a run to see if he can hack it!

scoopyboy
11-10-2016, 12:27 PM
You cant come to that conclusion having watched this game. Harris was man of the match and rightly so, he was involved in everything positive from us and may have played himself in to the managers plans. It's about the only positive coming from Saturday, if he plays like that again Lennon wont be able to drop him.

Harris was announced at the game as MOTM but he certainly wasn't mine, I thought he was poor.

My MOTM would have been Fraser Fyvie, not that there was a lot of choice.

Hiber-nation
11-10-2016, 12:33 PM

Agree with all that. Boyle was at his best when we had Scott Allan playing these balls over the top for him to run on to.

BlackSheep
11-10-2016, 12:39 PM
Agree with all that. Boyle was at his best when we had Scott Allan playing these balls over the top for him to run on to.

I don't see why Lennon hasn't utilised the pace of Boyle and Keating in this way... I see the team playing a lot of triangle passes, and they end up going nowhere... If they could use this technique to play balls in to Holt in the centre of the attack, who in turn can lay it back to an on coming midfielder who should play it into space in front of boyle or keatings on the wings up top.... This done with a bit of pace and decent passes would tear teams tp shreds in this division to shreds.

JDHibs
11-10-2016, 12:44 PM
I don't see why Lennon hasn't utilised the pace of Boyle and Keating in this way... I see the team playing a lot of triangle passes, and they end up going nowhere... If they could use this technique to play balls in to Holt in the centre of the attack, who in turn can lay it back to an on coming midfielder who should play it into space in front of boyle or keatings on the wings up top.... This done with a bit of pace and decent passes would tear teams tp shreds in this division to shreds.

Because teams defend very deep against us to stop this from happening, then they pack the midfield to stop any space from being created so players like Shinnie dont have room/time to do anything.

Basic football tactics.

BlackSheep
11-10-2016, 12:48 PM
Because teams defend very deep against us to stop this from happening, then they pack the midfield to stop any space from being created so players like Shinnie dont have room/time to do anything.

Basic football tactics.

Agreed, but Hibs don't take advantage of this kind of play when it occurs anyway... our urgency to counter is not there... this needs to be addressed before we can expect pacey attacking to be utilised i guess.

JDHibs
11-10-2016, 12:56 PM
Agreed, but Hibs don't take advantage of this kind of play when it occurs anyway... our urgency to counter is not there... this needs to be addressed before we can expect pacey attacking to be utilised i guess.

We would need to have some players with pace for this to happen...

BlackSheep
11-10-2016, 01:02 PM
We would need to have some players with pace for this to happen...

Both Keatings and Boyle are very fast... Keatings especially.... not sure how you haven't seen that?

scoopyboy
11-10-2016, 01:06 PM
Both Keatings and Boyle are very fast... Keatings especially.... not sure how you haven't seen that?

George McNeill was the fastest player Hibs ever had, pity he was a sprinter as opposed to a football player.

We need guys with pace who are also good footballers.

matty_f
11-10-2016, 01:15 PM
Harris was announced at the game as MOTM but he certainly wasn't mine, I thought he was poor.

My MOTM would have been Fraser Fyvie, not that there was a lot of choice.

Same here, and although Harris grew into the game, he was like a man short for most of the match, as were a couple of others.

McGeouch and Shinnie looked like they were playing with their boots on the wrong feet.

A bad day at the office all round.

BlackSheep
11-10-2016, 01:16 PM
George McNeill was the fastest player Hibs ever had, pity he was a sprinter as opposed to a football player.

We need guys with pace who are also good footballers.

Not sure about this comment.... Currently we have to play with the squad we have, both Keatings and Boyle are decent footballers with pace... Boyle has been on form for the development team lately and Keatings needs a good run of starts to get in a good run of form too.... The team hasn't performed as a whole in recent weeks but i wouldn't say that any of them are not good footballers.

scoopyboy
11-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Not sure about this comment.... Currently we have to play with the squad we have, both Keatings and Boyle are decent footballers with pace... Boyle has been on form for the development team lately and Keatings needs a good run of starts to get in a good run of form too.... The team hasn't performed as a whole in recent weeks but i wouldn't say that any of them are not good footballers.

You are correct when you say we have to go with what we've got, until January anyway.

However although I am happy enough to play Keatings it would not be as a winger, either tip of the diamond or striker beside a big guy.

Boyle never fails to let me down when he starts a game. He does well coming on as a sub and we all shout for him to be starting then when he gets a start he lets himself down. It's so predictable it's boring. I wouldn't say either that an experienced player playing well for the development team counts for a lot except that's maybe the player's level.

JDHibs
11-10-2016, 01:37 PM

Probably because they spend most of their time on the bench? Are they quick to the bench? Sprinting from the changing rooms? Keatings doesnt come across as someone with loads pace. Boyle yes.

Its very impressive that out of a 25 man squad you managed to pick 2 players with pace, well done (Sarcasm). Its also embarrassing that you are trying to argue that we have pace in our team when its abundantly clear that we are lacking it.

Andy74
11-10-2016, 01:55 PM

I haven't come to the conclusion just from watching one game. I wouldn't have had a man of the match on Saturday and if I did Harris would only have got on the list due to scoring a goal, he was pretty poor for the rest of the game and certainly wasn't making any sort of argument for playing him as a winger again.

Geo_1875
11-10-2016, 01:57 PM
Probably because they spend most of their time on the bench? Are they quick to the bench? Sprinting from the changing rooms? Keatings doesnt come across as someone with loads pace. Boyle yes.

Its very impressive that out of a 25 man squad you managed to pick 2 players with pace, well done (Sarcasm). Its also embarrassing that you are trying to argue that we have pace in our team when its abundantly clear that we are lacking it.

Doesn't matter how fast they are if the midfielders are too slow in getting the ball in the right places. By the time Fyvie has turned round twice before passing to McGinn who'll beat the same man 3 times then pass the ball to McGeouch, the defence are set-up to stop whoever ends up with the ball. Thought Keatings goal against United showed how it should be done. Quick ball to quick player and defenders can't cope.

JDHibs
11-10-2016, 02:03 PM
Doesn't matter how fast they are if the midfielders are too slow in getting the ball in the right places. By the time Fyvie has turned round twice before passing to McGinn who'll beat the same man 3 times then pass the ball to McGeouch, the defence are set-up to stop whoever ends up with the ball. Thought Keatings goal against United showed how it should be done. Quick ball to quick player and defenders can't cope.

Correct. Our tempo is shocking. Even Lennons been saying that. There is zero urgency to get the ball forward in our midfield.

calumhibee1
11-10-2016, 02:07 PM
I wasn't there on Saturday however people saying Harris deserves a chance is baffling. He's had numerous chances and been nothing short of brutal nearly every time. Nowhere near good enough.

Golden Bear
11-10-2016, 02:12 PM
Shinnie was awful and rightly subbed.

I agree he wasn't good but he was no worse than the rest. Mcgeoch in particular is struggling at the minute.

BlackSheep
11-10-2016, 02:15 PM

I agree that overall our squad doesn't boast pace, but again i will argue that both Keatings and Boyle are fast.... and yes while both have not featured week in week out for the first team, the games I have seen of them (both first team subs/starts and development games) they both demonstrate great pace when running onto balls through or chasing down defenders.... It bemuses me that this goes unnoticed by so many.

When i refer to both as being used as wingers... i don't mean wide midfielders, i mean wide front players.... fast players who can draw defenders out wide leaving space for the central forward and opposite wide player to have a little more room and therefor a better chance at goal.

Hibee Mac
11-10-2016, 03:12 PM
Im still failing to see what shinnie offers. Every week, Saturday included, he finds himself in good positions with the ball played into him and ends up messing it up every time, its like he doesn't know what a good opportunity he has until it's gone.

Hoping he improves as the weeks go on!