PDA

View Full Version : Unbeaten from now in the league until the end of the season

Diclonius
09-10-2016, 11:07 AM
That's my prediction.

We will sort out the problems and we will kick on, starting in Kirkcaldy. Let's do it.

Ell_Chrisso
09-10-2016, 11:12 AM
Bold prediction.

Like the enthusiasm, but that's one thing I sure as hell wouldn't bet on with Hibs.

What we do need however is a good run of 5-10 games winning. Being unbeaten is fine, but too many draws can soon feel like defeats. Need to start bringing in the 3 points.

Smartie
09-10-2016, 11:13 AM
That's my prediction.

We will sort out the problems and we will kick on, starting in Kirkcaldy. Let's do it.

We've gone on a decent run at this point of both of the past 2 seasons (largely to do with the form of players we no longer have though, Allan and Malonga).

The problem we have is that it's hard to see where those types of performance are going to come from.

The results haven't been that bad, it is the performances that are worrying.

Real Emerald
09-10-2016, 11:15 AM
That's my prediction.

Our form suggests otherwise!

Fife-Hibee
09-10-2016, 11:18 AM
That's my prediction.

Take it you weren't there yesterday then! It was bloody awful!

neil7908
09-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Sorry bud, admire the optimism but not a hope in hell.

Baldy Foghorn
09-10-2016, 11:25 AM
That's my prediction.

Loving that attitude:flag::flag:

matty_f
09-10-2016, 11:35 AM
Can't see it happening, though I'd love it to.

Yesterday's performance was the worst I've seen from a Hibs side since Butcher. It was awful. We'll need to do a lot better than that if we're going to put a big run together.

Going into the Ayr game we had the chance to distance ourselves from our rivals and give the impression that we're too strong for the rest of the teams.

We lost and haven't won since. The fear factor has well and truly gone, and teams will feel that they can take something from us.

Genuinely don't care about not winning the Irn Bru cup, but the performance yesterday has totally deflated me.

Forza Fred
09-10-2016, 11:50 AM
That's my prediction.

Past performance is the best indicator of future performance.

Unfortunately.

high bee
Can't see it happening, though I'd love it to.

Yesterday's performance was the worst I've seen from a Hibs side since Butcher. It was awful. We'll need to do a lot better than that if we're going to put a big run together.

Going into the Ayr game we had the chance to distance ourselves from our rivals and give the impression that we're too strong for the rest of the teams.

We lost and haven't won since. The fear factor has well and truly gone, and teams will feel that they can take something from us.

Genuinely don't care about not winning the Irn Bru cup, but the performance yesterday has totally deflated me.

Left us all feeling a bit flat.

Let the puns commence.

number9dream
If we average two points a game, we'll win the league. We're on course for that but this wobble is worrying.
A few clean sheets would help. Get Hanlon back in the middle.

Vini1875
They maybe need to do some talking to sort out what is happening. There are players who not really trying and some who are not good enough. For me Boyle and Keatings try but are not good enough, shinnie who is a good players is a non-trier. Hanlon is not a left wing back, Bartley is too slow. McGinn, McGeouch and Cummings are off form. Holt and Graham are Colin Nish in diguise.

The job Lennon has to make these players believe in themselves and get the best out of them. Everyone of the players I mentioned could play well at this level with more effort and committment to the cause. Lennon himself has to alter the tactic of slow ponderous attacking play and shot shy midfielders.

The cup win has given the club a bit of Grace and has allowed some very average players to become legends, now they have to roll up the sleeves, because the good will of the fans will soon desert them. Not winning this league is unthinkable for me and unforgivable.

Forza Fred
09-10-2016, 11:55 AM
When Calderwood came in, he took an underperforming Hibs outfit, and made them an even more underperforming outfit.

Unless Lennon can wave his magic wand, and soon, he's in danger of being accused of doing a similar thing.

Whatever we change, can't see us winning every game from now on.

hibby6270
09-10-2016, 12:08 PM
Totally agree with matty_f.

In hindsight, our first 5 league games won flattered us slightly. Only really one convincing win in there, the 4-0 v Morton.

Yesterday was the real wake up call. In a competition that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, I fully expected to see a young "reserve" team start but in reality it was pretty much a full strength team in the formation that has been 'asked for' on this forum over the last few weeks. A couple of wingers to run at defence, supply balls into the middle, and bobs your uncle we'll supposedly score goals for fun. Didn't happen though against (Mallan aside) a pretty poor St Mirren side. IMO Harris and Boyle didn't play wide enough and again we found it difficult to break down their defence.

Also we once again were caught with the sucker punch of a late, albeit disputed, goal that we had little or no time to recover from.

It's becoming an all to familiar story and I can't see how it's going to turn around. I definitely couldn't be confident in saying that we'll go on a long winning run, never mind remain unbeaten until the end of the season. 1999 season and a decent unbeaten 20 odd game run last season aside, we've never done anything like that consistently in my lifetime, so odds are it ain't gonna happen this season.

I'd love the team to prove me wrong though but..............

blackpoolhibs
09-10-2016, 12:32 PM
If someone came on here and said we'd not win another game until the end of the season, rightly so he'd get slaughtered.

It would be a ridiculous prediction, just like this one saying the opposite.

There's being confident and supportive, and there's being daft and having no sense whatsoever, and completely ignoring how good we are and what kind of players and team we have.

hibby6270
09-10-2016, 12:40 PM
If someone came on here and said we'd not win another game until the end of the season, rightly so he'd get slaughtered.

There's being confident and supportive, and there's being daft and having no sense whatsoever, and completely ignoring how good we are and what kind of players and team we have.

Let's face it, both scenarios are entirely possible.

It's more likely to be somewhere in between though.

We need a win ratio of 90%-10%. That would do it. Even 80%-20%.

The way we are playing just now, certainly doesn't suggest it will be as convincing as that.

Big L
09-10-2016, 12:59 PM
The team wasn't good enough to get up last year and IMO we have gone backwards. 2 points out of the last 12 says it all and he is not going to get them playing for him by constantly decrying them to the media. Comments like " I thought they were a passing team, but I haven't seen it" calling them amateurs and saying they are hiding ( not trying) is not the way to go. It appears to me that he will take the credit when we win but it's the players fault when we get beat! Hanlon as a wing back! Gimme a break. Against Dun Utd we were crying out for a wide player because their was so much space on the flanks, we had Hanlon who didn't have a clue when he got to the box, enuff said. He brought in 4 players and none of them have ripped it up!

Mr White
09-10-2016, 01:04 PM
The team wasn't good enough to get up last year and IMO we have gone backwards. 2 points out of the last 12 says it all and he is not going to get them playing for him by constantly decrying them to the media. Comments like " I thought they were a passing team, but I haven't seen it" calling them amateurs and saying they are hiding ( not trying) is not the way to go. It appears to me that he will take the credit when we win but it's the players fault when we get beat! Hanlon as a wing back! Gimme a break. Against Dun Utd we were crying out for a wide player because their was so much space on the flanks, we had Hanlon who didn't have a clue when he got to the box, enuff said. He brought in 4 players and none of them have ripped it up!

It's 2 from 9 or 5 from 12.

Keith_M
09-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Very optimistic but highly unlikely. :greengrin

I'd settle for playing to our potential... which would see us win the league in early/mid April on 80+ points..

buktadays
09-10-2016, 03:39 PM
Bold prediction.

Like the enthusiasm, but that's one thing I sure as hell wouldn't bet on with Hibs.

What we do need however is a good run of 5-10 games winning. Being unbeaten is fine, but too many draws can soon feel like defeats. Need to start bringing in the 3 points.

Utd on Sunday sure felt like a defeat [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
09-10-2016, 03:40 PM
Never mind going the season undefeated from now, we are already in a one game at a time scenario. This weekend QOTS are at home to Morton, Falkirk at home to Dunfermline and Dundee Utd away to St Mirren .... I cant see QOTS or Falkirk not winning and IMO the worst Utd will do is a draw. In view of that we really need to win at Raith Rovers ... if we were to lose and the other three win we would have the top 5 teams in the league all within a 6 point spread of each other with QOTS 4 points ahead of us and Falkirk.

The following weekend QOTS are at Ayr Utd and Dundee Utd are at home to Dumbarton, both winnable fixtures for them, whereas we will have a tough day of it away to Dunfermline ... the only good point being Falkirk are at home to Raith Rovers which means one of them will lose ground.

As far as the next two weekends go the very least we can accept is 4 points out of the 6 available, any less than that and we could well be looking up at two or even 3 teams above us.

Don Giovanni
09-10-2016, 03:55 PM
Going into the Ayr game we had the chance to distance ourselves from our rivals and give the impression that we're too strong for the rest of the teams...

...The fear factor has well and truly gone, and teams will feel that they can take something from us.

:agree: Missed opportunity.

It looks as though we are determined to make things difficult for ourselves. A decent winning streak (say 5 or 6 games ) would go a long way to asserting those kind of credentials but with the way things are going any sort of winning streak would be completely out of the blue such are our performances.

As for the OP it bares very little resemblance to Reality :bitchy:

Pete
09-10-2016, 03:55 PM

I'd say that one prediction was more possible than the other given the quality of our squad.

Like others have said though, one game at a time.

hibsdaft
09-10-2016, 04:11 PM
I remember going through to see Hibs at Love Street the last time we were in the second tier. we were awful, just dire across the park. we got beat 2-0 and i think everyone left that day wondering what lay ahead of us. we'd won two, drawn two and lost two.

we then went on our famous 6 month unbeaten run.

i don't see that coming either. but equally, with the players at our disposal, would it be that surprising in retrospect if it did? i don't think it would.

Ronniekirk
09-10-2016, 04:12 PM
Given our recent form over past four games i will settle just now for winning our next game away to Raith by any means possible That would be progress

Pretty Boy
09-10-2016, 04:32 PM
Given our recent form over past four games i will settle just now for winning our next game away to Raith by any means possible That would be progress

I actually think Raith away is a pretty good fixture for us this weekend.

They have had a sticky spell themselves after a good start and need a lift. Add to that the Locke abd Skacel factor and I think they might just give us a wee bit more space to play in and allow us to move the ball better.

Bostonhibby
09-10-2016, 04:34 PM
Admire the optimism, for now we're unbeaten from today until raith.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Edinburgher
09-10-2016, 04:54 PM
Well let`s hope we can go on a long unbeaten run again. At the moment, I`m getting a vibe from the current players similar to the lot that won the league cup and then fell out with John Collins, it seems that they have rested on their laurels because they have delivered the Scottish cup (fair dues) and aren`t keen on the difference in management style.

blackpoolhibs
09-10-2016, 05:13 PM
I'd say that one prediction was more possible than the other given the quality of our squad.

Like others have said though, one game at a time.

Would you like a bet that neither will happen?

emerald green
09-10-2016, 05:36 PM
"Unbeaten from now in the league until the end of the season." I wish, but it just isn't going to happen. Sorry.

There's absolutely nothing I've seen so far this season to support such a prediction. Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Forget all the "negative" versus "positive" pish. I'm just trying to be being realistic here.

If Lennon and the players get their act together, Hibs should win more matches than they lose. Those wee words again - IF and SHOULD...

blackpoolhibs
09-10-2016, 05:38 PM
"Unbeaten from now in the league until the end of the season." I wish, but it just isn't going to happen. Sorry.

There's absolutely nothing I've seen so far this season to support such a prediction. Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Forget all the "negative" versus "positive" pish. I'm just trying to be being realistic here.

If Lennon and the players get their act together, Hibs should win more matches than they lose. Those wee words again - IF and SHOULD...

:agree:

allezsauzee
09-10-2016, 05:43 PM

And so far they have done this. Won 5 Lost 1

Pete
09-10-2016, 05:52 PM
Would you like a bet that neither will happen?

No thanks, as I don't believe either will happen either. I just said that one scenario was more likely than the other.

Nice try though ;-)

emerald green
09-10-2016, 06:04 PM
And so far they have done this. Won 5 Lost 1

Yes, Hibs have W5 D2 L1 from their first 8 league fixtures, and currently trail QOS by a point in 2nd place.

I think Hibs have looked far from convincing in winning a few of those 5 games TBH. Particularly against Dunfermline at ER, and Dumbarton away.

Honest question. Do you think if recent performances (2 points from a possible 9 in the league, and eliminated by the team at the bottom of the league from a cup competition that Lennon stated he wanted to win ) continue Hibs will win the Championship?

I'm not saying Hibs wont win it, but performance levels will need to drastically improve very quickly, and even if they do they sure wont go from now to the end of the season unbeaten IMHO. Completely unrealistic to expect that.

allezsauzee
09-10-2016, 06:20 PM
Yes, Hibs have W5 D2 L1 from their first 8 league fixtures, and currently trail QOS by a point in 2nd place.

I think Hibs have looked far from convincing in winning a few of those 5 games TBH. Particularly against Dunfermline at ER, and Dumbarton away.

Honest question. Do you think if recent performances (2 points from a possible 9 in the league, and eliminated by the team at the bottom of the league from a cup competition that Lennon stated he wanted to win ) continue Hibs will win the Championship?

I'm not saying Hibs wont win it, but performance levels will need to drastically improve very quickly, and even if they do they sure wont go from now to the end of the season unbeaten IMHO. Completely unrealistic to expect that.

Clearly if you extrapolate our form from the worst 3 results of the season then we won't win the division but you are just choosing to ignore the fact that we won the first 5 games of the season.

emerald green
09-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Clearly if you extrapolate our form from the worst 3 results of the season then we won't win the division but you are just choosing to ignore the fact that we won the first 5 games of the season.

No mate, I'm not ignoring anything. Hibs won those 5 games fair and square.

I'm just saying they didn't look very impressive in doing so (apart from against Morton, who were garbage if I'm being honest).

blackpoolhibs
09-10-2016, 08:15 PM
No thanks, as I don't believe either will happen either. I just said that one scenario was more likely than the other.

Nice try though ;-)

Neither will happen, so none are more likely.

H18 SFR
09-10-2016, 08:41 PM
Very positive thoughts. I think we will be doing well to get two draws in the next two games in Fife. That said, you never know, that might be a the start of an unbeaten run.

Jdawg
09-10-2016, 11:25 PM
Never mind to the end of the season, I would be happy to get to the end of this month unbeaten.

silverhibee
09-10-2016, 11:38 PM
I'll just be happy when we win it this season, winning every game from now would be a miracle mind you, but as long as we win enough to get promoted then job done.

Diclonius
15-10-2016, 04:09 PM
Top of the league. 27 to go.

Jack Hackett
15-10-2016, 04:26 PM
I'll just be happy when we win it this season, winning every game from now would be a miracle mind you, but as long as we win enough to get promoted then job done.

I feel a song coming on....

'We're gonna lose less goals than you' :singing:

Diclonius
22-10-2016, 05:01 PM
Five in a row!