PDA

View Full Version : Most important season in our history

pundy man
08-10-2016, 10:05 PM
I really fear for us as a club if we don't get up this season

The cup win's feelgood factor will have gone and today's gate will be the norm if we do not get up.

Thought we were a shoe in to win this by plenty points but now really don't know where the next win is coming from.

Got a feeling Lenno's style is similar to Collin's and looks to me the players are not responding to this.

His tactics and substitutions also leave a lot to be desired but a bit early to panic.

Need to be in contention at the next window in January and we need to spend to get us out of this league if need be.

Massive next 5 games coming up.:flag::flag:

Ronniekirk
08-10-2016, 10:16 PM
I really fear for us as a club if we don't get up this season

The cup win's feelgood factor will have gone and today's gate will be the norm if we do not get up.

Thought we were a shoe in to win this by plenty points but now really don't know where the next win is coming from.

Got a feeling Lenno's style is similar to Collin's and looks to me the players are not responding to this.

His tactics and substitutions also leave a lot to be desired but a bit early to panic.

Need to be in contention at the next window in January and we need to spend to get us out of this league if need be.

Massive next 5 games coming up.:flag::flag:

We wont win the Leaugue in the next five games ,but we do need to get back to winning ways after some insipid lacklusture performances , or its going to be another difficult season

kaimendhibs
08-10-2016, 11:07 PM
Wasnt at game today due to a family bereavemment but i am worried Lennon has lost the dressing room. Cant buy a win with a very strong squad and doesnt seem to be a togetherness in the squad.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Man Down Under
10-10-2016, 08:35 AM
I think we'll be OK. Had a good start, drawn with 2 of the bigger contenders and lost with 10 men.
Cup games haven't been good but I feel Lennon has used them to experiment. Hasn't really worked for them.
Early days to be making predictions, clearly we can play better, but we could be top by the end of the week so can't be too worried just yet.
We have just about everything right apart from getting the ball in the net which I think will come.
See where we are in 3 or 4 weeks then it's time to worry.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk

Onion
10-10-2016, 08:40 AM
Most important game is the next one, until we win. We have the best quality squad in this league that will last the pace better than anyone else. Once we start winning again, we'll be ok, but Lennon must find the solution to our current malaise, as all it is doing is encouraging the competition.

High-On-Hibs
10-10-2016, 08:40 AM
Teams generally try to find consistency when they're on a winning run. We seem to do it in reverse. We get ourselves into a consistent run of losses until we find a win from somewhere.

fat freddy
10-10-2016, 08:43 AM
No need to panic, Sevco blew a huge points lead but regained it last season, their form fluctuated and they had some howling results but still won the league at a canter. We will have form slumps and dodgy results but the strength of the squad should ensure our promotion. Could do with a decent poacher in the January window though, we really should be turning our possession into more goals. Keep The Faith

Iain G
10-10-2016, 08:51 AM
Wasnt at game today due to a family bereavemment but i am worried Lennon has lost the dressing room. Cant buy a win with a very strong squad and doesnt seem to be a togetherness in the squad.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I don't think he has lost the dressing room, I do think he is realising all is not as good as perhaps he first thought and our failings of the last two years run deep. He needs to establish his best team and keep continuity and develop our play so we start putting the opposition away with the chances and possession we have. Watching England vs Malta kinda reminded me of watching Hibs, lots and lots of the ball but not enough penetration or ideas when we get to the edge of the crowded penalty box. We need to attack with purpose and movement.

Waxy
10-10-2016, 09:03 AM
Really heard a huge amount of round fleshy things since saturday.

Since90+2
10-10-2016, 09:10 AM
Not sure if he has last the dressing room but Lennon certainly has a different style of management to Stubbs and it would appear the players have not reacted well to it. Cummings especially seems to get absolute pelters from Lennon at times on the touchline.

Are we a better side than the one we had in May? At this time thats a no from me.

Craig_in_Prague
10-10-2016, 09:16 AM
I think we'll be OK. Had a good start, drawn with 2 of the bigger contenders and lost with 10 men.
Cup games haven't been good but I feel Lennon has used them to experiment. Hasn't really worked for them.
Early days to be making predictions, clearly we can play better, but we could be top by the end of the week so can't be too worried just yet.
We have just about everything right apart from getting the ball in the net which I think will come.
See where we are in 3 or 4 weeks then it's time to worry.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk

Yep, my thoughts too.

Very early days, league wise we are still sitting OK, but obviously the next month or so, will either ease nerves or raise them.
I think Lennon has lost a bit patience with many; So now it's time for him to really 'manage' the situation and find some increase of motivation and energy.

worcesterhibby
10-10-2016, 09:58 AM
All the teams in the league will be inconsistent. We will have a decent lead by Christmas, if the fans keep backing the team.

NAE NOOKIE
10-10-2016, 12:48 PM
What does worry me a bit is that Lennon has been incredibly quick to come out and publicly criticise the players. There was a case to be made that at times Alan Stubbs was over protective of the team, but in my opinion there is no doubt that they responded to that, for every glitch we had in his time it was followed by a recovery of form and we didn't go on too many bad streaks of form as I recall.

Its still early in the season and Lennon's haste to get stuck into his players is a bit surprising at this early stage, to some it may look like tough management, but to others it could look more like panic and if the manager is already losing faith with his players after only a few months in the job and the players think he has and doesn't trust them it doesn't bode well.

I agree with the OP so far as the title of the thread goes ..... without a doubt this is the most important season in my time following Hibs. The cup final feelgood factor has resulted in an incredible response from the supporters, average crowds of over 15,000 is the stuff of dreams for anybody who has followed this club over the last 40 odd years. If we can keep that average at over 13,000 for the rest of the season the sky could be the bloody limit if we win the leage, we could be looking at record season ticket sales for next season, near sellout crowds for games against Aberdeen and absolute sellouts for games against Hearts, Celtic and Sevco.

Fail to get promotion and there is no doubt the bubble will burst .... we will be down to the hard core again and perhaps even worse than that with average crowds of under 8,000. I don't set any store in the crowd from Saturday, the Irn Bru cup was never going to float many boats and I doubt the crowd would have been much bigger if we had been playing like Barcelona recently.
But if we continue the form from that game and the Dundee Utd game there is no doubt that walk-ups will start to dwindle and our crowds will go down .... I don't see that as too much of a concern as there has to be a good thousand or so who came back hoping to see Hibs blow away the opposition every week and a failure to do so was always likely to dampen their enthusiasm pretty quickly, which is why I would be happy to see our average by seasons end maintained at around 13,000.

But that's the two scenarios facing Hibs .......... win the league, or at least get promoted through the playoffs if it comes to that, and the club will be in a very healthy position indeed. Fail to get promoted and we will be facing a very bleak prospect, the club will without doubt have to downsize and staff will lose their jobs, we will be forced to accept any decent offers for our best players and we without doubt will lose the likes of John McGinn, Jason Cummings and a few others we would rather keep a hold of.

In this situation we need a manager who can keep a level head and above all else motivate the players ...... In this season of all seasons, which is pretty unique in the history of the club so far as the consequences of success or failure go we absolutely need a manager who can step up to the plate, I hope with every fibre of my Hibby being that Neil Lennon is the man for that task and that the players are as well, because they surely cant be in any doubt of the huge responsibility on their shoulders and what the result of failure will be.

hughio
10-10-2016, 02:41 PM
What does worry me a bit is that Lennon has been incredibly quick to come out and publicly criticise the players. There was a case to be made that at times Alan Stubbs was over protective of the team, but in my opinion there is no doubt that they responded to that, for every glitch we had in his time it was followed by a recovery of form and we didn't go on too many bad streaks of form as I recall.

Its still early in the season and Lennon's haste to get stuck into his players is a bit surprising at this early stage, to some it may look like tough management, but to others it could look more like panic and if the manager is already losing faith with his players after only a few months in the job and the players think he has and doesn't trust them it doesn't bode well.

I agree with the OP so far as the title of the thread goes ..... without a doubt this is the most important season in my time following Hibs. The cup final feelgood factor has resulted in an incredible response from the supporters, average crowds of over 15,000 is the stuff of dreams for anybody who has followed this club over the last 40 odd years. If we can keep that average at over 13,000 for the rest of the season the sky could be the bloody limit if we win the leage, we could be looking at record season ticket sales for next season, near sellout crowds for games against Aberdeen and absolute sellouts for games against Hearts, Celtic and Sevco.

Fail to get promotion and there is no doubt the bubble will burst .... we will be down to the hard core again and perhaps even worse than that with average crowds of under 8,000. I don't set any store in the crowd from Saturday, the Irn Bru cup was never going to float many boats and I doubt the crowd would have been much bigger if we had been playing like Barcelona recently.
But if we continue the form from that game and the Dundee Utd game there is no doubt that walk-ups will start to dwindle and our crowds will go down .... I don't see that as too much of a concern as there has to be a good thousand or so who came back hoping to see Hibs blow away the opposition every week and a failure to do so was always likely to dampen their enthusiasm pretty quickly, which is why I would be happy to see our average by seasons end maintained at around 13,000.

But that's the two scenarios facing Hibs .......... win the league, or at least get promoted through the playoffs if it comes to that, and the club will be in a very healthy position indeed. Fail to get promoted and we will be facing a very bleak prospect, the club will without doubt have to downsize and staff will lose their jobs, we will be forced to accept any decent offers for our best players and we without doubt will lose the likes of John McGinn, Jason Cummings and a few others we would rather keep a hold of.

In this situation we need a manager who can keep a level head and above all else motivate the players ...... In this season of all seasons, which is pretty unique in the history of the club so far as the consequences of success or failure go we absolutely need a manager who can step up to the plate, I hope with every fibre of my Hibby being that Neil Lennon is the man for that task and that the players are as well, because they surely cant be in any doubt of the huge responsibility on their shoulders and what the result of failure will be.

Excellent.
Agree 100%

Even if the players are in the huff with NL (who we all know must be a bit hard on them)it's vital he gets our support .That John Collins situation mustn't be repeated.Collins should have been supported not the other way round.
Prima donnas shape up or ship out.

NAE NOOKIE
10-10-2016, 05:16 PM
Excellent.
Agree 100%

Even if the players are in the huff with NL (who we all know must be a bit hard on them)it's vital he gets our support .That John Collins situation mustn't be repeated.Collins should have been supported not the other way round.
Prima donnas shape up or ship out.

Sorry mate, but that's not what I was saying at all .... If we fail to perform in the league Lennon has to carry the can, he is an experienced manager and should be able to get the best out of what is a more than decent group of players. IMO Collins was the architect of his own destruction through lack of man management skills and inexperience ..... I expect better from Lennon.

Captain Trips
10-10-2016, 05:51 PM
Sorry mate, but that's not what I was saying at all .... If we fail to perform in the league Lennon has to carry the can, he is an experienced manager and should be able to get the best out of what is a more than decent group of players. IMO Collins was the architect of his own destruction through lack of man management skills and inexperience ..... I expect better from Lennon.

Indeed, Lennon has a good CV if we fail to go up I put the blame 100% at his door. If I ran Hibs I would have hired him so I can't blame board. On paper it should be promotion for fun.

Steviep73
10-10-2016, 05:56 PM
I know for a fact that before the season even started there was a few players who were very disappointed that NL had got the managers job

Since90+2
10-10-2016, 06:01 PM
I know for a fact that before the season even started there was a few players who were very disappointed that NL had got the managers job

What players would that be then and why would they be disappointed?

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-10-2016, 06:01 PM
Potentially most important season for Neil Lennon as well. If he doesn't win the league with this team then his future in the game is punditry and papers.

Steviep73
10-10-2016, 06:03 PM
My sister knows one of the players and from what he told her there was a few of them wanting to leave as they didn't like him

NAE NOOKIE
10-10-2016, 06:19 PM
My sister knows one of the players and from what he told her there was a few of them wanting to leave as they didn't like him

Nae offence mate, but I get a bit suspicious when threads like this one start getting posts from folk saying stuff like this ..... as things stand there is no evidence that the players have a problem with Lennon, only speculation because we haven't been playing well and he has criticised some players.

I'm not going into LTYF mode ..... but I'm tempted :rolleyes:

B.H.F.C
10-10-2016, 06:22 PM

Presumably not Cummings or Hanlon given they signed new long term deals. Add to that we put in our best performance away from home in Europe in a generation, had as good a pre season as we ever have and won our first 5 league games there certainly didn't appear to be too many unhappy players.

Steviep73
10-10-2016, 06:23 PM
Ok then the player never said anything to ma sister cos you's know better

jacomo
10-10-2016, 06:42 PM

This is at best 2nd hand information.

There are always unhappy players at any club.

Not saying it's all a bed of roses but let's not get too distracted by gossip.

Dashing Bob S
10-10-2016, 07:01 PM

I asked your mother, who, as you're a Jambo, is also your sister, and she denied all knowledge.

So there appears to be little in this.

Steviep73
10-10-2016, 07:01 PM
Aye whatever mate

Big L
10-10-2016, 07:19 PM
I think the problem is a lack of leadership on the park. Lennon was a leader at Celtic so I find it hard to understand why he can't see it for himself. If anyone thinks we have a leader on the park, I would be glad to hear your thoughts.

darwenhibby
10-10-2016, 07:43 PM
Think this season has the markings of 98/99 season written all over it
An indifferent start bad results in league cup
St Johnstone/ QOS
Ayr/Stranraer at home
A defeat v st Mirren
Some players need to stand up and be counted
It wasn't pretty then and it won't be now
We got to learn to get that second goal like
Mcleish team did

ancient hibee
10-10-2016, 09:39 PM

Spot on.

Bostonhibby
10-10-2016, 09:58 PM
Hopefully that player will be one of them.

Can never fathom why all these players usually end up letting stuff like this come out through sources like this though.

The fishman should be the only source as far as hibs players are concerned so it's a big [emoji107] from me.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

majorhibs
10-10-2016, 10:20 PM
Most important game is the next one, until we win. We have the best quality squad in this league that will last the pace better than anyone else. Once we start winning again, we'll be ok, but Lennon must find the solution to our current malaise, as all it is doing is encouraging the competition.

No need to panic, Sevco blew a huge points lead but regained it last season, their form fluctuated and they had some howling results but still won the league at a canter. We will have form slumps and dodgy results but the strength of the squad should ensure our promotion. Could do with a decent poacher in the January window though, we really should be turning our possession into more goals. Keep The Faith

Think this season has the markings of 98/99 season written all over it
An indifferent start bad results in league cup
St Johnstone/ QOS
Ayr/Stranraer at home
A defeat v st Mirren
Some players need to stand up and be counted
It wasn't pretty then and it won't be now
We got to learn to get that second goal like
Mcleish team did

This team at this moment is not as strong as the previous 2 Hibs teams I watched promoted. Not near at the moment. This squad is nothing if not putting it together, which some of the opposition, imo, look more likely just now of acheiving. GJP was able to add all season quality like Sauzee & Latapy, That is not happening again. Nae pleasure in it, but you skooshers please stop slavering about the team I support. You do our team nae favors & make yourselves into even more serious muppets than you need to be. Promotion is fought for.

NAE NOOKIE
11-10-2016, 12:39 AM

Sorry mate, but I've got over 6000 posts on here and have been posting for 9 years and even then I doubt anybody would believe a 'a player told my sister, brother, auntie' whatever story if I posted it ........ with 3 months and 11 posts to your name you've got no chance :greengrin

MacGruber
11-10-2016, 11:23 AM
Just curious. Why is it Lennon is deemed to have a good managerial CV?
2 jobs..
1 Excellent
2 Disaster

Surely that's a mixed CV!

Both skewed because of circumstance
1 tonne of cash
2 No cash

Can't discount one achievement and not the other

Jury is out at Hibs.... it's not looking good so far. Hope it changes