PDA

View Full Version : Today's game demonstrated that Lennon IS attempting change

BlackSheep
08-10-2016, 08:43 PM
I noticed a few things today that many in the stands and on these forums have moaned about over the past month... and what I noticed is that what so many have demanded was being implemented (or st least attempted), yet collectively the fans still are negative.

Yes, we lost and yes, we have had a poor month or so but we have to keep the faith.

There have been calls for pace... so we tried Boyle, Keatings and Harris. Not a complete success but perseverance is needed, our shape will click and the team will start to perform as expected.

There have also been calls for faster build up... I saw a little of this today, but what struck me was 3 or 4 times we tried to take quick free kicks or throw ins and were either called back or (more frustratingly) things were slowed down by our own players again.... Gray insisting on taking s throw himself instead of letting the game flow at a higher tempo.

So many are so quick to stick the knife in and throw in the towel, we have lost 3 games out of 10, won 5 and drawn 2.... it could be a lot worse!!!

Scouse Hibee
08-10-2016, 08:47 PM
It could and should be so much better.We have a squad streets ahead of anyone else in the league yet they are not performing.

greenlex
08-10-2016, 08:53 PM
I noticed a few things today that many in the stands and on these forums have moaned about over the past month... and what I noticed is that what so many have demanded was being implemented (or st least attempted), yet collectively the fans still are negative.

Yes, we lost and yes, we have had a poor month or so but we have to keep the faith.

There have been calls for pace... so we tried Boyle, Keatings and Harris. Not a complete success but perseverance is needed, our shape will click and the team will start to perform as expected.

There have also been calls for faster build up... I saw a little of this today, but what struck me was 3 or 4 times we tried to take quick free kicks or throw ins and were either called back or (more frustratingly) things were slowed down by our own players again.... Gray insisting on taking s throw himself instead of letting the game flow at a higher tempo.

So many are so quick to stick the knife in and throw in the towel, we have lost 3 games out of 10, won 5 and drawn 2.... it could be a lot worse!!!
He tried something different for sure but did he attempt to change it when it wasn't working? What's the point in width with nothing in the middle? Your absolutely correct it could be a lot worse. It won't be long. We have had one performance all season at home (I've not been at an away game yet) we have let two cup ties st the first time of asking at home. Enough. The squad is more than good enough to be topping the league with a bit to spare. Times up for me. If the erfotmances were great without result I could bear it. But they aren't.

BlackSheep
08-10-2016, 09:03 PM
We are playing poor and have have still won 5 and drawn 2... the only reasonably convinced win was against Morton... but why do so few see the positive in this.... getting points when playing rubbish.... imagine how we will fair when it all clicks.

I do agree that Lennon seems incapable of affecting change during the game but, I have stay faithful that he knows whst he is doing.

madhatter
08-10-2016, 09:05 PM

Most fans asked for width. Please explain where that was today? Played with players you would think would hug the touch line but Harris and Boyle rarely did that.

Bit stupid as our goal came from Harris staying wide and coming in.

BlackSheep
08-10-2016, 09:12 PM
Most fans asked for width. Please explain where that was today? Played with players you would think would hug the touch line but Harris and Boyle rarely did that.

Bit stupid as our goal came from Harris staying wide and coming in.

Width will come with players like Boyle and Harris getting more game time... the team seems to be far to used to playing a narrow game, Lennon can instruct them to stay wide but it takes time for that to become second nature after so long playing narrow.

Itsnoteasy
08-10-2016, 09:13 PM
It could and should be so much better.We have a squad streets ahead of anyone else in the league yet they are not performing.

That's right.
We have the best individuals in the league.
But we don't have the best squad that plays as a team.

Hi Heid Yin
08-10-2016, 09:55 PM
That's right.
We have the best individuals in the league.
But we don't have the best squad that plays as a team.

I concur.
Individuals playing as individuals do not a team make.
Man for man, Falkirk, were inferior last season, but as a team they had just that little bit more than ourselves and thus clinched 2nd spot -albeit on goal difference.
Similarly, man for man, Hearts promotion-winning team probably equalled us in this respect, but their collective resolve and belief and 'clicking as a team more consistently" resulted in (as some on here like to say) "skooshing the league" The same principle could also apply to The Rangers last season.
We simply have to find the right blend and that "team' spirit/cohesion/belief/resolve that is crucial in securing automatic promotion.
Lennon is still tinkering, but more worryingly, is scratching his head to find answers. I still want to believe in his ability to get the best out of our boys and to find that elusive shape and balance to enable us to go on a long, winning streak, where others are chasing us. Being 2nd to and chasing QOS is embarrassing, with all due respect to QOS.

Hi Heid Yin
08-10-2016, 09:58 PM
Yes, I agree, it was good to see Lennon trying something different, but going by his post match comments, it looks like we can say adios to experimenting with width and pace for the foreseeable. He was quick to stress that we scored a goal once we reverted back to the diamond.

stoneyburn hibs
08-10-2016, 09:59 PM
There's still time but we could do without another one trick pony to get us up.

Zazu62
08-10-2016, 11:17 PM
Diamonds are forever

MWHIBBIES
08-10-2016, 11:58 PM
If today was change I'm quite happy to not change.

overdrive
09-10-2016, 09:04 AM
I think the issue with the wingers not working was that the front 3 never had defined positions. They all interchanged. Harris was playing through the middle at points. I'd much rather see Harris play on the left if he's going to play. It was by far his best position in his breakthrough season and it was where the goal came from yesterday.

Jones28
09-10-2016, 09:29 AM
This diamond has got to be dropped for a bit. It hasn't worked for 4 games.

blackpoolhibs
09-10-2016, 09:41 AM
Width will come with players like Boyle and Harris getting more game time... the team seems to be far to used to playing a narrow game, Lennon can instruct them to stay wide but it takes time for that to become second nature after so long playing narrow.

Width and pace is a must at any level in my opinion, and we do need to move the ball much quicker and press the ball further up the park quicker too.

Personally i dont believe we currently have the quality in the wide positions to get past the last defender with pace and deliver good balls or strikes at goal.

And as for moving the ball quicker, thats all very well but those receiving it have to be able to trap more than a bag of cement, and again in my opinion, none of our forwards are that good with their first touch that they can move the ball on quickly too.

Holt can hold it up well if he stays in the middle rather than out wide where he has a tendency to go too much for my liking.

One thing that i found strange yesterday when seeing the lineup, yes he picked Harris and Boyle, but then had Keatings up front, surely Holt would have been the better option?

overdrive
09-10-2016, 09:45 AM
Width and pace is a must at any level in my opinion, and we do need to move the ball much quicker and press the ball further up the park quicker too.

Personally i dont believe we currently have the quality in the wide positions to get past the last defender with pace and deliver good balls or strikes at goal.

And as for moving the ball quicker, thats all very well but those receiving it have to be able to trap more than a bag of cement, and again in my opinion, none of our forwards are that good with their first touch that they can move the ball on quickly too.

Holt can hold it up well if he stays in the middle rather than out wide where he has a tendency to go too much for my liking.

One thing that i found strange yesterday when seeing the lineup, yes he picked Harris and Boyle, but then had Keatings up front, surely Holt would have been the better option?

It's almost as if he deliberately played a small guy up front so he could say that playing with wingers doesn't work.

brog
09-10-2016, 09:54 AM
Yes, I agree, it was good to see Lennon trying something different, but going by his post match comments, it looks like we can say adios to experimenting with width and pace for the foreseeable. He was quick to stress that we scored a goal once we reverted back to the diamond.

I wasn't there yesterday but we scored in IIRC the 37th minute! Is Lennon saying he only gave his experiment about 30 minutes? That's not an experiment it's a finger in the water, bizarre!!

Baldy Foghorn
09-10-2016, 09:55 AM
It's almost as if he deliberately played a small guy up front so he could say that playing with wingers doesn't work.

Stop it.........:greengrin

CallumHibs07
09-10-2016, 09:58 AM
He didn't change the left-back position when it's blatantly obvious Hanlon is never a left back in a million years, and we've got our regular LB on the bench. :confused:

Greenworld
09-10-2016, 10:05 AM
He didn't change the left-back position when it's blatantly obvious Hanlon is never a left back in a million years, and we've got our regular LB on the bench. :confused:
That is 100% correct pissed farting about with players the centre of defence should be hanlon and mcgregor ...
Crane should have been played at left back if u can't play him in that match when can u

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Real Emerald
09-10-2016, 10:55 AM
That is 100% correct pissed farting about with players the centre of defence should be hanlon and mcgregor ...
Crane should have been played at left back if u can't play him in that match when can u

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

This is the thing that really worries me, Lennon had to change the LB position due to Stevenson's red card. Hanlon didn't work against Utd last week but he kept it the same with a fit Stevenson on the bench. No matter what else is wrong with the team like not scoring and chances drying up, this was an easy no brainier of a fix. I am now seriously worried about Lennon and our ability to win this league now.