PDA

View Full Version : The Jumbo

Highland_Hibee
08-10-2016, 08:41 PM
Not that bad. Some pretty good deliveries both crosses and throws. Should replace Hutton long term.

Hanley and Martin however depress me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuttle
08-10-2016, 08:44 PM
Not that bad. Some pretty good deliveries both crosses and throws. Should replace Hutton long term.

Should be nowhere near an international especially wi that tache

Onion
08-10-2016, 08:45 PM
:agree: Hate the guy with a passion, but never as bad as some on Hibs.net make out. Has the right amount of graft and pace to fill that role.

Scotland national side is 3rd world quality and he fits in nicely with that.

HibsNutter
08-10-2016, 08:46 PM

He's been decent. Andy Robertson on the other hand has been fantastic. Shame there is room for only one of Robertson and Tierney.

lucky
08-10-2016, 08:50 PM
He was decent and tried hard. Hopefully gets a move to the EPL and his game improves

Highland_Hibee
08-10-2016, 08:53 PM
He's been decent. Andy Robertson on the other hand has been fantastic. Shame there is room for only one of Robertson and Tierney.

Do neither of them have a right foot? I'm sure we could accommodate for players like them.

GreenCastle
08-10-2016, 08:56 PM

Shows you how bad the national team is and the lack of players coming through the system or available.

He's average and yes he has a long throw but surely we have better.

dp00
08-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Let's be honest and take the green tinted specs off ... Patterson played well and is much better month term that Hutton

stirling_hibee
08-10-2016, 09:02 PM
Thought he did ok, if they get a bit more finesse him and Burke might be a decent combo down the right. The subs perplexed me tonight, particularly taking Ritchie off. Leigh should have started

Scottie
08-10-2016, 09:08 PM
Shows you how bad the national team is and the lack of players coming through the system or available.

He's average and yes he has a long throw but surely we have better.
:agree: He's bang on average and shows us just how **** we are as a nation of footballers if he is the best we can produce.

Highland_Hibee
08-10-2016, 09:11 PM
:agree: He's bang on average and shows us just how **** we are as a nation of footballers if he is the best we can produce.

He's far from the best we can produce but he can fill a role we have otherwise been lacking in. Hutton has filled that spot for years without being any better than average.

Scottie
08-10-2016, 09:22 PM
He's far from the best we can produce but he can fill a role we have otherwise been lacking in. Hutton has filled that spot for years without being any better than average.

But there is the problem my friend.

The entire team is filled with people like Rolf that are just not good enough at International level. We have to face fact's we have a team of ordinary player's that are just not good enough.

givescotlandfreedom
08-10-2016, 09:24 PM
Looks better than when he was presenting animal hospital. Prison has taken years off him.

Highland_Hibee
09-10-2016, 10:05 AM
Looks better than when he was presenting animal hospital. Prison has taken years off him.

[emoji23] Never even crossed my mind but now I can't see anything else.

chinaman
09-10-2016, 10:12 AM
Rolf and Hutton the best we've got ?
Yep!! We are that mince

Jones28
09-10-2016, 10:21 AM
He's better than Hutton that's for sure - at least we have some decent full backs

frazeHFC
09-10-2016, 01:59 PM
Thought he did ok, if they get a bit more finesse him and Burke might be a decent combo down the right. The subs perplexed me tonight, particularly taking Ritchie off. Leigh should have started

Everyone round me was cheering when Ritchie went off. He was rubbish.

Highland_Hibee
09-10-2016, 02:07 PM
Everyone round me was cheering when Ritchie went off. He was rubbish.

What's happened with Anya? He seems to have gone the way of every other player we have felt promise something. Throws in a few performances at the start of his Scotland career and then quickly falls back into line as distinctly average. Happened with Darren Fletcher, Craig Gordon, Alan Hutton, Barry Bannan and more. It's happening with Ritchie and we will inevitably see Robertson and Burke fall to the same level of mediocrity.

Pete
09-10-2016, 03:53 PM
Don't mind Patterson and think he's a good player who will only improve with time.

However, he needs to score some last minute winners in cup finals to really establish himself.

JDHibs
10-10-2016, 07:55 AM
Hes got pace, strength, can defend, long throw, half decent cross and can score goals, has 4 already this season. Would walk into any RB spot in the Sottish Prem.

His positioning leaves alot of be desired but hes hardly no better than average. Most people need to take the green tinted specs off.

Id love to have Paterson at Hibs. He would need to do some sort of forfeit like, but hes 10x better than what weve got.

The_Horde
10-10-2016, 08:00 AM
Hes got pace, strength, can defend, long throw, half decent cross and can score goals, has 4 already this season. Would walk into any RB spot in the Sottish Prem.

His positioning leaves alot of be desired but hes hardly no better than average. Most people need to take the green tinted specs off.

Id love to have Paterson at Hibs. He would need to do some sort of forfeit like, but hes 10x better than what weve got.

Wouldn't say he's 10x better than Dave Gray.

JDHibs
10-10-2016, 08:36 AM
Wouldn't say he's 10x better than Dave Gray.

Again, green tinted glasses.

Gray cant cross. Isnt a massive threat at set pieces (bar the final), doesnt score goals, too hesitate at throw ins. Positionally is the same as Paterson, so gets caught out, but against weaker opponents.

The_Horde
10-10-2016, 10:44 AM

Gray cant cross. Isnt a massive threat at set pieces (bar the final), doesnt score goals, too hesitate at throw ins. Positionally is the same as Paterson, so gets caught out, but against weaker opponents.

Nope, no green tinted glasses. I just don't think Paterson is as good as 10x better. He's no Cafu.

Albanian Hibs
10-10-2016, 11:04 AM

Doesnt score goals?? 😂

Smartie
10-10-2016, 11:15 AM
Paterson and Gray are both good players and I don't think there's much between them.

I feel a bit sorry for Gray that he's having to play a third season at this level because I don't think it shows him off at his best.

He's generally superb in our biggest games - think of derbies, games vs Rangers and the away leg vs Brondby.

I don't think the way we play always suits him, certainly not when we're trying to break down "wee" teams.

But he's an excellent all-round player imo and if we go up this year I'd expect us to get a couple of years of him at his peak in the Premier League.

Diclonius
10-10-2016, 11:21 AM

He has 6 in 82 for us - all have come against high-level opposition (barring Alloa). I'd say that's pretty decent for a full back.

GreenArmyyy!
10-10-2016, 11:22 AM
Having the cheek to slag off David Gray.... you should be ashamed of yourself.

JDHibs
10-10-2016, 11:44 AM
He has 6 in 82 for us - all have come against high-level opposition (barring Alloa). I'd say that's pretty decent for a full back.[/COLOR]

Paterson has 33 in 150? So every 13/14 games we can expect a goal from Gray, where as every 4/5 Paterson will get one? Rest my case really lol...

Out of those 82 games Gray has 60-65 will have been against opposition in the championship, where as Paterson will have 40 at a push in 150.

Didnt Tavernier get 15 last season in the championship? Both these players Paterson and Tavernier have scored goals in this league.

JDHibs
10-10-2016, 11:44 AM
Having the cheek to slag off David Gray.... you should be ashamed of yourself.

Why because im a realist and not swayed by 1 goal? Hes a hero and always will be, doesnt mean hes a good footballer.

steve75
10-10-2016, 11:48 AM
I'd say Gray is currently a better defender than Paterson.

Some of Paterson's positioning is absolutely shocking. He's either too narrow, caught up the park at the wrong time or the last one out the box from a set piece and plays everyone onside for the second ball.

However for me he offers so much going forward. A good cross, a good throw, strong, he's quick enough and wins loads in the air. It won't be long before he scores for Scotland.

He's only 21 and hopefully with experience and good coaching he will improve.

RB is currently a position up for grabs, and if no one well into their career is a standout choice the I say you have to go with youth.

Mr White
10-10-2016, 11:55 AM
Paterson has 33 in 150? So every 13/14 games we can expect a goal from Gray, where as every 4/5 Paterson will get one? Rest my case really lol...

Out of those 82 games Gray has 60-65 will have been against opposition in the championship, where as Paterson will have 40 at a push in 150.

Didnt Tavernier get 15 last season in the championship? Both these players Paterson and Tavernier have scored goals in this league.

Paterson has played up front on many occasions. He has also scored more than Gray when playing at right back though.

WeeRussell
10-10-2016, 12:19 PM
By no means our biggest problem. Paterson isn't as good as some Jambos would make out, and isn't as bad as most Hibbies would have you believe :agree: Certainly have him in before Hutton.

Chris Martin starting up front would be my starting point for enquiries. Our centre halves aren't exactly inspiring but we have very limited options.. we have very good alternatives up front and still get it so wrong.

WeeRussell
10-10-2016, 12:22 PM
What's happened with Anya? He seems to have gone the way of every other player we have felt promise something. Throws in a few performances at the start of his Scotland career and then quickly falls back into line as distinctly average. Happened with Darren Fletcher, Craig Gordon, Alan Hutton, Barry Bannan and more. It's happening with Ritchie and we will inevitably see Robertson and Burke fall to the same level of mediocrity.

I disagree in the sense that I've never seen Ritchie as a standout except when playing for Bournemouth in the championship. He seems to put a shift in at Newcastle but has never struck me as a brilliant footballer. One absolute screamer against Germany was a highlight but would by no means be a first name on the Scotland team sheet for me.

Burke and Robertson are players.

Geo_1875
10-10-2016, 12:27 PM
Paterson has played up front on many occasions. He has also scored more than Gray when playing at right back though.

He also gets more goals from set pieces being a good bit taller than David Gray. He is also allowed to shoot from distance which no Hibs player is allowed to do. He's an average young full-back who will get better with experience but like most of the Scotland team is nothing special.

Smartie
10-10-2016, 12:39 PM
He also gets more goals from set pieces being a good bit taller than David Gray. He is also allowed to shoot from distance which no Hibs player is allowed to do. He's an average young full-back who will get better with experience but like most of the Scotland team is nothing special.

Paterson's height and physical presence mean that he has some pretty good raw materials to work with.

He's not the finished article, not by a long shot but if he leaves Hearts and continues to improve then he could become a very solid International class player. Or he could stay put, think he's made it and remain a better than average player with weaknesses.

I agree 100% with the poster above who points out that we're barking up the wrong tree. I actually think we have a number of good creative players who can play up front, wide and just off a striker/ strikers.

With our defence we're always likely to lose a goal therefore not scoring more than one at home to Lithuania could prove fatal, as it proved. We need to be infinitely better in the final third.