PDA

View Full Version : We never do our homework on players

dastardly8
08-10-2016, 05:01 PM
Is it just me or does anybody think like me , when I look at the line ups I can almost every time look at the opposition and tell who is going to score , today it was Mallan , do we never look at the opposition better players and have a plan to stop them ? frustrating!!!!

greenlex
08-10-2016, 05:19 PM
Ive seen that free kick before for sure.

madhatter
08-10-2016, 05:21 PM
Ive seen that free kick before for sure.

Was there not the exact same free kick last season against Oxley? Certain it was verging on identical from the same player.

emerald green
08-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Was there not the exact same free kick last season against Oxley? Certain it was verging on identical from the same player.

I think Mallan scored directly from a free kick for St Mirren at ER in front of FF stand last season, or possibly the previous season.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
08-10-2016, 07:03 PM
What do you expect anyone to do about a direct free kick?

emerald green
08-10-2016, 07:04 PM
What do you expect anyone to do about a direct free kick?

Try to defend it better.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
08-10-2016, 07:08 PM
Try to defend it better.

How do you defend a direct free kick?

Ozyhibby
08-10-2016, 07:08 PM
Maybe we should have signed Mallan in the summer instead of the benchwarmers we did sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
08-10-2016, 07:09 PM
Maybe we should have signed Mallan in the summer instead of the benchwarmers we did sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that thought did occur to me too.

emerald green
08-10-2016, 07:16 PM

You need to ask that? You get the wall set up correctly first of all, and the goalkeeper has to be positioned correctly.

Last season Oxley getting pelters (rightly) for not saving Mallan's free kick from a similar position on the edge of the box because he was too far over to one side on his goal line IIRC.

No team can successfully defend EVERY direct free kick, but you have to at least get the basics right, and learn from past mistakes.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
08-10-2016, 07:19 PM
You need to ask that? You get the wall set up correctly first of all, and the goalkeeper has to be positioned correctly.

Last season Oxley getting pelters (rightly) for not saving Mallan's free kick from a similar position on the edge of the box because he was too far over to one side on his goal line IIRC.

No team can successfully defend EVERY direct free kick, but you have to at least get the basics right, and learn from past mistakes.

Maybe. But a good direct free kick is impossible to defend. I didnt see todays so i cant comment on that one

Argylehibby
08-10-2016, 07:27 PM

Maybe if the keeper didn't stand a yard inside the post he might have a chance to get across and save it.

emerald green
08-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Maybe. But a good direct free kick is impossible to defend. I didnt see todays so i cant comment on that one

There's no maybe about it. If you've ever played the game you would know that.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
08-10-2016, 07:34 PM
There's no maybe about it. If you've ever played the game you would know that.

No, i will bow to your superior knowledge as ive gone my whole life and managed to avoid ever playing football. Quite amazing for a football fan, but there you go.

emerald green
08-10-2016, 07:42 PM
No, i will bow to your superior knowledge as ive gone my whole life and managed to avoid ever playing football. Quite amazing for a football fan, but there you go.

Nothing to do with "superior knowledge", which I didn't and have never claimed. It's just stating the obvious. :aok: