PDA

View Full Version : Come on Scotland!

Pages : [1] 2 3

California-Hibs
05-10-2016, 07:22 AM
Massive game on Saturday night, not surprised in the slightest that there isn't a thread started on here yet regarding it, so thought I'd take the initiative.

Now first of all, all the folk that are actually a bit annoyed that a thread regarding Scotland has appeared, and are sharpening their knifes, trying to think up the wittiest types of comments they can to put Scotland down and try get a 'look at me, brilliant patter putting the National Team down eh!', well, gonna just not even bother? Cheers.

Whats folks predictions? Thoughts on team selection etc?

I'm glad that Maloney is back in there, very decent player in my book coming up against the likes of Chelsea, Man City etc regularly.

Excited to see young Oliver Burke hopefully thrive under the floodlights at home. Should be very confident having just scored his first goal in the bundesliga!

Think it's gonna be 6 points out of 6 and us in a very good place.

Scotland 3-1 Lithuania

Phil MaGlass
05-10-2016, 07:50 AM
Going for a 2-1 win for Scotland, actually looking forward to this game.
I was a member of the Travel Club for a number of years then when Levein took over I just couldnt go any more, eye bleeding. Starting to get back into it again. Meeting up with a few mates on Saturday who are also lapsed Travel Club, who knows, we might even get back into the travelling again.
Looking forward to seeing the laddie Burke, give youth a chance.

Albanian Hibs
05-10-2016, 07:58 AM
Think it will be 2-0 Scotland.

Bostonhibby
05-10-2016, 08:04 AM
3-1 Scotland, am watching it with a celtc supporter and a follower of the now defunct Glasgow rangers - he hasn't been up to see the new boys yet.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

California-Hibs
05-10-2016, 08:04 AM
Going for a 2-1 win for Scotland, actually looking forward to this game.
I was a member of the Travel Club for a number of years then when Levein took over I just couldnt go any more, eye bleeding. Starting to get back into it again. Meeting up with a few mates on Saturday who are also lapsed Travel Club, who knows, we might even get back into the travelling again.
Looking forward to seeing the laddie Burke, give youth a chance.

Good stuff bud! 👍 I always wanted to join but never did, was always just the home games for me when I lived back home. An away trip was/is on the bucket list though.

lyonhibs
05-10-2016, 08:06 AM
Any win will do here. Lithuania will play for a draw and it's up to us to break them down.

Anyone on here travelling to Bratislava? I recognise a couple of folk who've kept their same username between here and TAMB. Will be in Bratislava already for the Lithuania game so the hunt for a pub showing it is ongoing! :greengrin

California-Hibs
05-10-2016, 08:08 AM
3-1 Scotland, am watching it with a celtc supporter and a follower of the now defunct Glasgow rangers - he hasn't been up to see the new boys yet.

I'm watching it with 2 Scots over here who live nearby. A Rangers fan who's originally from Mussleburgh (been giving him it tight big time since May, and also big time for being from Mussie and not being a Hibee!) and a lad from Aberdeen who's a Don.

Looking forward to it. First time all 3 of us will have got together to watch a game 👍

easty
05-10-2016, 08:16 AM
Massive game on Saturday night, not surprised in the slightest that there isn't a thread started on here yet regarding it, so thought I'd take the initiative.

Now first of all, all the folk that are actually a bit annoyed that a thread regarding Scotland has appeared, and are sharpening their knifes, trying to think up the wittiest types of comments they can to put Scotland down and try get a 'look at me, brilliant patter putting the National Team down eh!', well, gonna just not even bother? Cheers.

Get over yourself eh. You'll no get any more of a "look at me" post than your OP!

Brummie_Hibs
05-10-2016, 08:16 AM
Ach, if Scotland were playing in my garden I'd pull my curtains...and other cliches.

Bostonhibby
05-10-2016, 08:17 AM
I'm watching it with 2 Scots over here who live nearby. A Rangers fan who's originally from Mussleburgh (been giving him it tight big time since May, and also big time for being from Mussie and not being a Hibee!) and a lad from Aberdeen who's a Don.

Looking forward to it. First time all 3 of us will have got together to watch a game 👍
Actually quite good when you get a few guys together like that, our local hun is pretty clueless but harmless, never lived in Scotland but old man is from govan.

The boys a bit overly patriotic and some of his views ain't traditional hun ones, at least for now.

Think I'll wear my hibs tartan[emoji1]

steakbake
05-10-2016, 08:22 AM
I'll go with 2-0 to us but would be happy with 3 points, regardless of score line. Like the look of the team at the moment.

Craig_in_Prague
05-10-2016, 08:46 AM
Simply have to win, a goal early, or at least in the 1st half, could open things up a bit and it could be relatively comfortable. They'll park the bus though and no doubt it'll be a struggle.

Tough game on Tuesday away to Slovakia. I work with many Slovaks, so really hoping we can win down there!

I enjoy the internationals, even if we've been brutal most of my life. They are not very regular, so I like when they come around.
Shame Saturday's game clashes with Germany v Czech.

I have also met various good guys that are TA members, and also good Hibbies too, through international football.

California-Hibs
05-10-2016, 09:24 AM
Get over yourself eh. You'll no get any more of a "look at me" post than your OP!

We were doing so well 😂

easty
05-10-2016, 09:45 AM
We were doing so well 😂

:rolleyes::dunno:

geohibby
05-10-2016, 10:17 AM

Whats folks predictions? Thoughts on team selection etc?

I'm glad that Maloney is back in there, very decent player in my book coming up against the likes of Chelsea, Man City etc regularly.

Excited to see young Oliver Burke hopefully thrive under the floodlights at home. Should be very confident having just scored his first goal in the bundesliga!

Think it's gonna be 6 points out of 6 and us in a very good place.

Scotland 3-1 Lithuania

2-0 Scotland, Fletcher has been scoring for Shef Wed so maybe get us a goal, like the look of Burke to

pontius pilate
05-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Going for a Scotland win. I'm glad hutton isn't fit to play. Be good to see young Burke and hopefully SJM as well

The Modfather
05-10-2016, 10:24 AM
Any win will do here. Lithuania will play for a draw and it's up to us to break them down.

Anyone on here travelling to Bratislava? I recognise a couple of folk who've kept their same username between here and TAMB. Will be in Bratislava already for the Lithuania game so the hunt for a pub showing it is ongoing! :greengrin

Heading over to Slovakia. Budapest Sunday, Bratislava Monday, Trnava Tuesday, Berlin Wednesday, detox Thursday. 4 different cities and 3 countries 😀🍺

As an aside I bumped into you and your mate in Dortmund the last campaign where we then fruitlessly tried to get into a club at the stadium. An extremely random night 👍

Rugy07
05-10-2016, 10:29 AM
I think our midfield now is really strong and it's hard to know who will get picked especially out wide with Snodgrass, Maloney, Anya (if fit), Forrest and Burke. Centrally, Fletcher, Bannan, MacArthur and SJM also looks good. Our defence really worries me though. Our 4 centre halfs are all very slow and the preferred two are hardly playing this year. I'm also glad Hutton isn't fit, but I can't believe Patterson is the only possible answer we have.

CorrieHibs
05-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Looking forward to this as well. Normally go to the home matches but I have a wedding on Saturday.

Have to agree with most, midfield is strong, but defence is weak bar our left back position. Pity Tierney or Robertson couldn't play right back.

Pretty Boy
05-10-2016, 11:13 AM
We were doing so well 😂

He's got a point. Pre empting a response whilst being vaguely passive aggressive yourself is usually a pretty good way to provoke a negative reaction.

Coupling the OP with your posts on the Malta match thread I'd happily wager your actually secretly quite disappointed you didn't get more negative responses tbh. Bigger worm on the hook next time maybe.

California-Hibs
05-10-2016, 11:18 AM
I think our midfield now is really strong and it's hard to know who will get picked especially out wide with Snodgrass, Maloney, Anya (if fit), Forrest and Burke. Centrally, Fletcher, Bannan, MacArthur and SJM also looks good. Our defence really worries me though. Our 4 centre halfs are all very slow and the preferred two are hardly playing this year. I'm also glad Hutton isn't fit, but I can't believe Patterson is the only possible answer we have.

Agree with this, we're crying out to produce a good quality center half! We're been blessed with a couple really good full backs in Tierney and Robertson, but the middles lacking for sure.

Midfield is what really excites me. Along with mentioned players we've also got Matt Richie, another very decent talent.

SteveHFC
05-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Heading through to Hampden on Saturday after our game finishes and looking forward to it. Going for 2-0 Scotland. :aok:

WeeRussell
05-10-2016, 11:26 AM
He's got a point. Pre empting a response whilst being vaguely passive aggressive yourself is usually a pretty good way to provoke a negative reaction.

Coupling the OP with your posts on the Malta match thread I'd happily wager your actually secretly quite disappointed you didn't get more negative responses tbh. Bigger worm on the hook next time maybe.

If the OP was genuinely intended to try and prevent the thread turning into a 'who dislikes the national team most' competition, then it was worthwhile given the history of these types of conversations on here. But I would agree the tone of it wasn't the most helpful!

Anyway - I am looking forward to Saturday (though not attending this time) and confident of the 3 points... always a dangerous thing whether it's Hibs or Scotland!! :rolleyes:

Our defence is always the main worry, but it's an issue that's not going away anytime soon! Having said that, I never feel like we're a side that 'leak' goals... you just never feel very confident when trying to keep out the better team.

Rugy07
05-10-2016, 11:32 AM
Agree with this, we're crying out to produce a good quality center half! We're been blessed with a couple really good full backs in Tierney and Robertson, but the middles lacking for sure.

Midfield is what really excites me. Along with mentioned players we've also got Matt Richie, another very decent talent.

Of course, I knew I was missing someone! I also really rate Matt Phillips who was on standby for this squad I believe. Barrie McKay looks ok, but I'd much rather have Phillips in my squad.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Anybody who hasn't done a Scotland away trip should get themselves on one, addictive stuff! :-)

California-Hibs
05-10-2016, 11:37 AM
If the OP was genuinely intended to try and prevent the thread turning into a 'who dislikes the national team most' competition, then it was worthwhile given the history of these types of conversations on here. But I would agree the tone of it wasn't the most helpful!

Anyway - I am looking forward to Saturday (though not attending this time) and confident of the 3 points... always a dangerous thing whether it's Hibs or Scotland!! :rolleyes:

Our defence is always the main worry, but it's an issue that's not going away anytime soon! Having said that, I never feel like we're a side that 'leak' goals... you just never feel very confident when trying to keep out the better team.

Apologies if the tone didn't come across right. I just have a right pet hate on people who thrive to be negative about Scotland. It just reeks of almost a 'want' of defeat so that the comments can get rolling. Also like I've said before, ignored or not, the national team has had some pretty good results over the years, shockers too, yes, but the good ones seem to be brushed under the carpet, barely any posts with no more than a quiet well done, yet with the bad results come the hell for leather posts. Scotland are this Scotland are that, type session.

If there was balance it wouldn't even be an issue for me at all. There's not. And that's just....odd.

Dashing Bob S
05-10-2016, 11:43 AM
1-1. Scotland are rubbish and I think we'll falter here, which might not be a bad thing as it would be crueller to have high expectations before our inevitable slamming by a useless and overhyped England.

Sorry if this might seem a tad on the negative side but Scotland have been **** for decades now. We just decided, sometime in the 80's that we would stop producing quality footballers and have stuck to this policy with great success since then.

Highland_Hibee
05-10-2016, 11:46 AM
We somehow find ourselves blessed with wide players. Burke, Ritchie, Forrest and Anya all worthy of a start IMO. It's just a shame our two best fullbacks in Robertson and Tierney play in the same position. The rest of our defence worries me as always. Think we should be capable of a 2-0 against Lithuania.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
05-10-2016, 11:48 AM
Apologies if the tone didn't come across right. I just have a right pet hate on people who thrive to be negative about Scotland. It just reeks of almost a 'want' of defeat so that the comments can get rolling. Also like I've said before, ignored or not, the national team has had some pretty good results over the years, shockers too, yes, but the good ones seem to be brushed under the carpet, barely any posts with no more than a quiet well done, yet with the bad results come the hell for leather posts. Scotland are this Scotland are that, type session.

If there was balance it wouldn't even be an issue for me at all. There's not. And that's just....odd.

No apologies necessary as far as I'm concerned - I agree with your sentiments :agree: Was just pointing out I could see where PB was coming from despite your intentions :aok:

Hopefully Saturday's game will pass by successfully, brushed under the carpet, and we can look to the next game and hopefully 9 points :greengrin

frazeHFC
05-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Going for 3-0 Scotland. I'd like to see McArthur in midfield with Fletcher, and then Burke, Ritchie and Snodgrass playing behind Griffiths.

Anybody who hasn't done a Scotland away trip should get themselves on one, addictive stuff! :-)

Malta last month was my first one. Loved it! The Friday/Saturday night in particular and the Sunday pre game was an incredible atmosphere where we were staying.

Big_Franck
05-10-2016, 02:45 PM
I'd take a 1-0 win now. Notice there are a couple of ex-jambos in their squad so they must not be great.

I'm looking forward to seeing Burke again as he seems to be doing well at RB Leipzig.

Bishop Hibee
05-10-2016, 03:31 PM
Good experience for Super John McGinn to be in the squad. No Hibs players in the under 21 squad disappointing though.

I'm looking forward to a good day out topped off by a 3-1 win.

DH1875
05-10-2016, 04:47 PM
Fail to beat Lithuania at home and we will have no chance of finishing 1st or 2nd in the group.

3-0 Scotland :aok:

bod
05-10-2016, 05:41 PM

tell me about it. started during the berti's time

pacoluna
05-10-2016, 07:31 PM
Going for 3-0 Scotland. I'd like to see McArthur in midfield with Fletcher, and then Burke, Ritchie and Snodgrass playing behind Griffiths.

Malta last month was my first one. Loved it! The Friday/Saturday night in particular and the Sunday pre game was an incredible atmosphere where we were staying.
Malta was terrible for atmosphere worst ive been to, tartan army party wasn't up to usual standards and except from the result being positive the stadium was void of any atmosphere

stoneyburn hibs
05-10-2016, 08:52 PM
I fancy a 2-1 ( put us through the wringer) victory for Scotland. Anything other than 3 points isn't really acceptable imo. Yes we are not world class but it's Lithuania at Hampden and if we have any aspirations then we should be winning at home against all in this group.

WHAM
05-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Looking forward to this now and can't wait to get raving at each Scotland goal 😎

05-10-2016, 09:36 PM
Go for 2-0 or 2-1 Scotland. In recent times this lot have been tricky to put away. That said we have a 100% home record against them so I'm reasonably confident. Would like to see Tierney get some game time if we're looking comfortable. Interested to see how Burke gets on to, this laddie could be good for us for a long time if he keeps his heid down and keeps improving the way he clearly has already.

Frazerbob
05-10-2016, 10:31 PM
Only 31000 tickets sold according to someone on the TAMB. Pretty poor if true.

Billy Whizz
05-10-2016, 10:54 PM

What's the ticket pricing

Dashing Bob S
05-10-2016, 11:38 PM

Pretty amazing for Scotland-Lithuania.

SteveHFC
05-10-2016, 11:48 PM
What's the ticket pricing

My ticket was £30 for the west stand. :aok:

Highland_Hibee
06-10-2016, 04:45 PM
Good experience for Super John McGinn to be in the squad. No Hibs players in the under 21 squad disappointing though.

I'm looking forward to a good day out topped off by a 3-1 win.

This.

Even if SJM doesn't make the bench I'm happy in the knowledge of him being involved with players playing at higher levels. Same reason why I can't see why anyone would happily see Jas left out of the Scotland set up.

Frazerbob
06-10-2016, 05:13 PM
Pretty amazing for Scotland-Lithuania.

For a qualifier on a Saturday? Disappointing IMO.

murray26
06-10-2016, 05:28 PM
I'm getting the train.. will I have to leave early to get back to queen street in time for the last train..?

WHAM
06-10-2016, 06:44 PM

I would normally agree mate but the later kick off will put off some people especially those who normally take kids.

Not many qualifiers in europe this week will exceed 30,000. The problem is that we don't have any 30-40k stadiums in Scotland which would be ideal for the less "attractive" games.

renato
06-10-2016, 06:47 PM
Even Italy vs Spain in the Juve Stadium (on ITV4 now) isn't completely sold out tonight. Love that anthem, 'mon the Italians!

NthCarolinaHibs
06-10-2016, 08:17 PM
I'm getting the train.. will I have to leave early to get back to queen street in time for the last train..?

Last train back is just after 11pm..

Mcpakeisgod
06-10-2016, 08:31 PM
Can see why the OP done it, most topics on Scotland turns into an opportunity for some to bash the national team . When the reasoning behind the topic was just to discuss the games

Highland_Hibee
06-10-2016, 10:08 PM
So who starts on Saturday folks? Will probably see Marshall keep his spot in goal. Defence is ropey but I'd go with Martin, Hanley, Berra and Robertson. Midfield I can't see why Burke and Ritchie shouldn't start on the wings. Fletcher and McArthur in the middle of the park but Gord may go with Bannan. Snodgrass just off Griffiths up top for me even though we will probably see Naismith or Fletcher.

SteveHFC
06-10-2016, 11:00 PM
So who starts on Saturday folks? Will probably see Marshall keep his spot in goal. Defence is ropey but I'd go with Martin, Hanley, Berra and Robertson. Midfield I can't see why Burke and Ritchie shouldn't start on the wings. Fletcher and McArthur in the middle of the park but Gord may go with Bannan. Snodgrass just off Griffiths up top for me even though we will probably see Naismith or Fletcher.

Same team as the Malta game with Fletcher in for Martin.

Brightside
06-10-2016, 11:24 PM

Still Game in defence...with Give us a Clue upfront. Hide yer eyes but we'll probably still win by 3 or 4.

at last 61
07-10-2016, 12:50 AM
Will try to watch it somewhere if the curfew is lifted by then.

Dashing Bob S
07-10-2016, 04:18 AM
Can see why the OP done it, most topics on Scotland turns into an opportunity for some to bash the national team . When the reasoning behind the topic was just to discuss the games

Nothing wrong with a (sporting) laugh at ones embarrassingly awful national side.

If you don't laugh, you'll cry.

I've been laughing for around three decades now.

JimBHibees
07-10-2016, 06:34 AM
Last train back is just after 11pm..

Last train 11.30 from Queen street.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-10-2016, 07:30 AM
Still Game in defence...with Give us a Clue upfront. Hide yer eyes but we'll probably still win by 3 or 4.

Imagine your response if someone posted that re Hibs ladies team.

Brightside
07-10-2016, 07:33 AM
Imagine your response if someone posted that re Hibs ladies team.

Why would they? Hibs ladies play the best girls available in those positions. Scotland haven't done that for years.

number9dream
07-10-2016, 07:54 AM

Just had a look online, looks like only a few hundred seats remaining...

California-Hibs
07-10-2016, 08:03 AM

They'll be more than 31k come kick kick off. If tickets are being put on the gates too I'd hazard we won't be too far from a sell out. Maybe around 43k?

California-Hibs
07-10-2016, 08:05 AM
Just had a look online, looks like only a few hundred seats remaining...

Never read your post before I made mine. So there you go, looks like a sell out.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-10-2016, 08:45 AM
Why would they? Hibs ladies play the best girls available in those positions. Scotland haven't done that for years.

As they say, as a fan you can pick your team but, you cannae pick your country.

JimBHibees
07-10-2016, 08:49 AM

Cant really think of too many Scottish players being ignored recently. Fact is we dont have a huge pool of quality as evidenced by the poor recent under 21 performances.

blackpoolhibs
07-10-2016, 08:59 AM

In your opinion, easy to pick the team from your sofa?

If that was the best available on wednesday, i shudder to think what the score would have been had we played a few reserves.

Eyrie
07-10-2016, 05:14 PM

If that was the best available on wednesday, i shudder to think what the score would have been had we played a few reserves.

Did you watch the game on Alba?

cabbageandribs1875
07-10-2016, 05:29 PM
last train Queen st(lower) to Edinburgh via Airdrie/Bathgate line is 11:18pm, arrives waverley 12:28am

i think :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
07-10-2016, 05:43 PM
Did you watch the game on Alba?

I watched the last 15 mins of the first half and all the 2nd half.

Andy74
07-10-2016, 05:54 PM

What you have to remember is whilst men getting beat by anyone at home by that margin is a disgrace and probably nearly a sacking offence you can't criticise girls.

Mr White
07-10-2016, 06:01 PM
Guys this thread is meant to be about the Scotland game tomorrow. Can we keep it on topic please? Thanks.

Bristolhibby
07-10-2016, 08:02 PM

Yip, flying Monday morning from Gatwick to Vienna. Getting the bus through to Bratislava. Should be at the hotel by 21:30. Quick spray of deodorant and out into old town.

Bit of sight seeing drinking on match day then supporters bus through to Trnava.
Leisurely train to Vienna for lunch of Wienerschnitzhel and some touristy stuff until our late flight back.

J

blackpoolhibs
07-10-2016, 08:11 PM
What you have to remember is whilst men getting beat by anyone at home by that margin is a disgrace and probably nearly a sacking offence you can't criticise girls.

:tee hee:

Scotland will win tomorrow hopefully, and all those players Strachan has failed to select will have to wait a bit longer before they too let us down at the critical moment. :greengrin

HFCdeb
07-10-2016, 08:11 PM

This. Defence looks like a liability.

hfc rd
07-10-2016, 08:25 PM

Pretty much summed up this Scotland side. Good options in midfield and attack but it's our RB & CB options that really worry me. LB is the only area I feel confident in the defence area with Robertson, Tierney and also Anya that can play there.

blackpoolhibs
07-10-2016, 09:07 PM
Pretty much summed up this Scotland side. Good options in midfield and attack but it's our RB & CB options that really worry me. LB is the only area I feel confident in the defence area with Robertson, Tierney and also Anya that can play there.

I agree, our defence is the weakest part of the team these days, but they are not as bad as some are making out, and its not as if the players Strachan picks are keeping better players out as some are trying (unsuccessfully) to say.

Eyrie
07-10-2016, 09:12 PM
I watched the last 15 mins of the first half and all the 2nd half.
Fair enough.

Guys this thread is meant to be about the Scotland game tomorrow. Can we keep it on topic please? Thanks.
Can Scotland be as dominant as Bayern were? Any thoughts?

Pete
08-10-2016, 05:40 AM
Team Scotland!

Mr White
08-10-2016, 06:04 AM
Can Scotland be as dominant as Bayern were? Any thoughts?
I would doubt that. I expect Lithuania to be well organised and difficult to break down. I'll predict a pretty dull match that scotland will eventually win 3-1.

Brightside
08-10-2016, 06:34 AM
I agree, our defence is the weakest part of the team these days, but they are not as bad as some are making out, and its not as if the players Strachan picks are keeping better players out as some are trying (unsuccessfully) to say.

Yes we will leave it to those bursting with knowledge to make comment. 😂😂

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2016, 08:23 AM
Yes we will leave it to those bursting with knowledge to make comment. ����

Who are these fantastic players that Strachan is ignoring, who are these players that will make such a difference for the nation? :confused:

Obviously you who are the most knowledgeable man on this subject will have all the answers, i await with baited breath to be educated and see the progression of the team once i and the national team manager see your team selection and tactics that we are all missing.

Bishop Hibee
08-10-2016, 04:55 PM
In the Clockwork Beer Co, bagpipes have been blasting out. C'mon Scotland!!!!

Itsnoteasy
08-10-2016, 05:53 PM
English commentators going on about Scotland scoring 5 against Malta but some goals were fortunate. England are like Hibs, no as good as they think they are.

H18 SFR
08-10-2016, 05:55 PM
Who are these fantastic players that Strachan is ignoring, who are these players that will make such a difference for the nation? :confused:

Obviously you who are the most knowledgeable man on this subject will have all the answers, i await with baited breath to be educated and see the progression of the team once i and the national team manager see your team selection and tactics that we are all missing.

Harris, Shinnie, Forster and Tortolano.

Onion
08-10-2016, 05:57 PM
English commentators going on about Scotland scoring 5 against Malta but some goals were fortunate. England are like Hibs, no as good as they think they are.

In qualifications, they tend to win the games that matter, though.

hibee_girl
08-10-2016, 06:00 PM
McGinn not made the bench tonight

H18 SFR
08-10-2016, 06:03 PM

I wonder if he might drop out the squad for a bit.

Cod Boy
08-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Why have two goalkeepers on the bench.

Billy Whizz
08-10-2016, 06:08 PM

Not do him any harm, played too much football over the last year or so. Should be to our benefit next week

lord bunberry
08-10-2016, 06:20 PM
I can't believe they wheeled that hearts ******* out in the first five minutes. I'm going to watch the darts.

Onceinawhile
08-10-2016, 06:45 PM
Why have two goalkeepers on the bench.

Because it's literally everyone who isn't in the starting line up that made the squad?

Onceinawhile
08-10-2016, 06:46 PM
I can't believe they wheeled that hearts ******* out in the first five minutes. I'm going to watch the darts.

Jeezo, imagine interviewing the opposition's manager.

stoneyburn hibs
08-10-2016, 06:49 PM
The home kit is a thing of beauty.

Onceinawhile
08-10-2016, 06:50 PM
The home kit is a thing of beauty.

Took a while, but it's definitely grown on me.

Best in a long time.

Glory Lurker
08-10-2016, 06:54 PM
The top is great, but I don't like the badge. I can understand that we want to express that we are one of the oldest national teams in the world, but it also reads that Scotland the country isn't very old. It's actually stopping me buying the top.

Whatever, we're going to skoosh this one the night.

:saltireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
08-10-2016, 06:55 PM

I cant believe mcginn is in the squad. At the moment he is not at that level.

Onion
08-10-2016, 06:55 PM
Hampden belongs to Hibs now. Weird watching other teams playing on our patch.

Carheenlea
08-10-2016, 06:57 PM
Watching on a TV in a bar that has the picture quality of those traditionally found in Chinese takeaway waiting areas.

Pete
08-10-2016, 07:04 PM
Watching on a TV in a bar that has the picture quality of those traditionally found in Chinese takeaway waiting areas.

At least you can see it. I've got strictly ballroom dancing on my box.

****ing disgrace that it isn't on free to air.

HoboHarry
08-10-2016, 07:04 PM
I cant believe mcginn is in the squad. At the moment he is not at that level.
How can he possibly be judged when those around him at Hibs are not playing well either?

Speedy
08-10-2016, 07:10 PM

Injured?

Golden Bear
Jeez this is grim so far, almost as bad as watching hibs this afternoon.

Waxy
Patersons no very good.

Speedy
08-10-2016, 07:12 PM
Not do him any harm, played too much football over the last year or so. Should be to our benefit next week

I hope not. He can only benefit from being in and around top quality players. And long term it should benefit us in terms of quality and sell in value.

Golden Bear
Patersons no very good.

You're letting him off lightly.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
How can he possibly be judged when those around him at Hibs are not playing well either?

I dont understand your point. Hes just not playing very well at the moment, in a league where a player should habe to be a complete stand-out to even be considered for the national team. He hasnt been that since the first few months of last season.

Speedy
Patersons no very good.

He's putting in a shift for the Hearts Mother Land tonight. What was that tackle about!?

lord bunberry
08-10-2016, 07:13 PM
Jeezo, imagine interviewing the opposition's manager.
They didn't have to show hearts beating hibs in the process

Onceinawhile
08-10-2016, 07:16 PM
They didn't have to show hearts beating hibs in the process

He's played at hampden 4 times, 25% of them were against us.

I'm fairly sure the only time he scored there was against us, so it's hardly like they've gone out their way to rile us.

Waxy
08-10-2016, 07:16 PM
You're letting him off lightly.

Only because its Scotland. He might single handedly cause us to not qualify for this world cup.

lord bunberry
08-10-2016, 07:18 PM
At least you can see it. I've got strictly ballroom dancing on my box.

****ing disgrace that it isn't on free to air.
For a relatively small outlay you could get everything free to air. Drop me a pm if your interested mate.

lord bunberry
08-10-2016, 07:19 PM
He's played at hampden 4 times, 25% of them were against us.

I'm fairly sure the only time he scored there was against us, so it's hardly like they've gone out their way to rile us.
I don't care :greengrin and I've changed my mind and I'm watching it :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
08-10-2016, 07:20 PM
Feels like a continuation of Hibs-St Mirren only with St Mirren playing better.

lord bunberry
08-10-2016, 07:20 PM
Is griffiths on the bench?

hibee_girl
08-10-2016, 07:21 PM
Is griffiths on the bench?

:agree:

Biggie
08-10-2016, 07:22 PM
Did I hear that right ?...one of the Scotland strikers hasn't scored in 20 games ?!......wtf is he playing ?....just cos he plays for Fulham ?

lord bunberry
08-10-2016, 07:23 PM
:agree:
That's ****ing insanity imo. Griffiths and Fletcher should be our front 2 and neither of them are starting.

Mon Dieu4
08-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Should be playing on form players, Burke looks like our only real threat just now

stoneyburn hibs
08-10-2016, 07:26 PM
That's ****ing insanity imo. Griffiths and Fletcher should be our front 2 and neither of them are starting.

Halftime I'd take Ritchie and Fletcher off, go two up with Sparky and Burke, Anya on the left.

Onion
08-10-2016, 07:29 PM
Ritchie has had a mare of a game, and apart from the odd Burke run we've zero threat.

TRC
08-10-2016, 07:29 PM
There must be a better right back than Patterson to pick absolutely humpty

Hibee87
08-10-2016, 07:30 PM
Should be playing on form players, Burke looks like our only real threat just now

Burke does look a very good player. Seems to move, turn and control very well for a big guy. Amazing that he was relatively unheard of 12 18 month go

The Captain....
08-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Ritchie looks like a pub team player tonight, mind you I've thought that before and he pops up and scores a worldy.

Been pretty average stuff so far..both teams been murder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bishop Hibee
08-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Rubbish so far. I can report the £800,000 of damage to the advertising hoardings has been repaired.

GlesgaeHibby
08-10-2016, 07:35 PM
There must be a better right back than Patterson to pick absolutely humpty

Such as?

Paterson isn't a world beater but he's pretry useful at set pieces, has a good long throw and is a solid enough right back.

Onion
08-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Jeezo. That was painful stuff against sub-quality opposition. Zero threat up front - get Fletcher and Sparky on now.

lord bunberry
08-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Such as?

Paterson isn't a world beater but he's pretry useful at set pieces, has a good long throw and is a solid enough right back.
David Gray

stoneyburn hibs
08-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Ye couldnae slide a newspaper under Martins jumps, hopeless.

Onion
08-10-2016, 07:42 PM
Is Macleish on the drink ? Used to be a decent pundit now talking about "catch 24" and struggling to string a few words together. Adding nothing to the coverage.

TheGreenMan
08-10-2016, 07:45 PM
Is Macleish on the drink ? Used to be a decent pundit now talking about "catch 24" and struggling to string a few words together. Adding nothing to the coverage.

Yip painful to watch. Was the same on Sheep Huns game recently. Questioning if it's catch 22 or 24 😕

Onceinawhile
To be fair, Chris Martin has scored in both his last two Scotland games.

More importantly, it allows us to all make Coldplay jokes.

Mr White

Neil mcann with the touchscreen made my mum's attempts to operate her smartphone look steady, proficient and practiced. Amateurs.

Onceinawhile
08-10-2016, 07:46 PM

Barry bannan didn't get the ball, but it would've been harsh on Scotland to concede a penalty.

Em... How?

TheGreenMan
08-10-2016, 07:47 PM
Making the same mistake as last campaign, not playing a goalscorer. Griffiths should be near 1st name on that team sheet and work around getting him the ball. The odd chance that we create will fall to Martin or Fletcher if playing and they'll most likely miss it. Need a goalscorer or you're pissing into the wind from the start.

Speedy
08-10-2016, 07:56 PM
David Gray

Probably tongue in cheek but if not, what has David Gray done to merit being in the Scotland team?

Mon Dieu4
08-10-2016, 08:00 PM
Good call Gordon, take off the player who looked the most likely to unlock them, that'll show em

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2016, 08:00 PM
oh ****** dear

GlesgaeHibby
08-10-2016, 08:01 PM
Typical Scotland

Mr White
08-10-2016, 08:01 PM

Off the bar
08-10-2016, 08:02 PM
Ffs typical typical Scotland

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2016, 08:02 PM
lol the liths 3rd goal in 12 away games

Onion
08-10-2016, 08:03 PM
Huge 30 mins for Strachan and Scotland's WC campaign.

Jim44
08-10-2016, 08:03 PM
Bumsootra for Strachan.

Onion
08-10-2016, 08:04 PM
Forest has to hit the target there :confused:

GlesgaeHibby
08-10-2016, 08:04 PM
Forrest misses sitter

Famous Fiver
08-10-2016, 08:06 PM
I don't think wee Gordon will want to answer any questions from the fans after this.

He might just struggle to come up with a smart ass quote this time. Press conference will be interesting.

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2016, 08:07 PM
can't wait until they increase WC finals to 96 teams, hopefully we can still qualify from pot 5 or 6

Gatecrasher
08-10-2016, 08:07 PM
Getting pumped by a bunching of hearts rejects :rolleyes:

J-C
08-10-2016, 08:08 PM
It's like watching a Hibs game, all the possession and play and still getting ****ing beat. usual huffing and puffing.

Scouse Hibee
Quite a decent game so far.

Glory Lurker
GET SPARKY ON YA TUBE :grr::grr::grr:

Dashing Bob S
Predicted 2-1 St Mirren correctly but my 1-1 draw here probably a but optimistic for Scotland.

Biggie
08-10-2016, 08:09 PM
Did he catch griffiths pumping his Mrs ?

CentreLine
08-10-2016, 08:10 PM
What's your wonder sub done so far Gordon?

Quite a decent game so far.

Better then your tiresome trolling.

Glory Lurker
Predicted 2-1 St Mirren correctly but my 1-1 draw here probably a but optimistic for Scotland.

Stop predicting stuff, it just messes everything up!

Mon Dieu4
08-10-2016, 08:11 PM

Behave, Scouse gets it tight when England play so has every right to give it back

Scouse Hibee
08-10-2016, 08:12 PM

Get a grip ffs.

Onion
08-10-2016, 08:14 PM
Sparky double coming up here.

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2016, 08:15 PM
should have been 2-0

Scouse Hibee
Oooooooh should have been two.

Gatecrasher
"Barry Bannon to deliver" Just doesn't have the same ring to it

Steve-O
08-10-2016, 08:16 PM
The likes of Forrest and Martin are simply pish

Mon Dieu4
Seems like Hurtado has been giving our centre halves sprinting lessons

Glory Lurker
I don't like Crocker saying someone is going to deliver. It's like it's his cliche, rather than having been scripted especially for us.

Mon Dieu4
08-10-2016, 08:17 PM
Oooooooh should have been two.

Stop trolling

GreenCastle
08-10-2016, 08:18 PM
Scotland are really poor.

GS picked wrong starting team - like the Malta game.

Lithuania have done very well and worked hard / look organised and playing as a team.

Glory Lurker
08-10-2016, 08:18 PM
Stop trolling

Don't agree. Adding some levity to this unbearable garbage.

HibeeHendo
08-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Grant Hanley is absolutely terrible.

Highland_Hibee
Think folk knocking the Jumbo are watching through green tinted specs. He's pretty predictable but not terrible. Got a bit of physical and a long throw. Which reminds me when the **** did you last see a Hibs player with a long throw?

Zazu62
Novikovas has been excellent tonight

Mon Dieu4
08-10-2016, 08:20 PM
Don't agree. Adding some levity to this unbearable garbage.

:wink: I was joshing

Scouse Hibee
08-10-2016, 08:21 PM

I know :-)

Off the bar
LG puts free header straight at the keeper. Lame

cabbageandribs1875

shouldn't be anywhere near the international team, we're bad enough as it is

HibeeHendo
08-10-2016, 08:22 PM
Think folk knocking the Jumbo are watching through green tinted specs. He's pretty predictable but not terrible. Got a bit of physical and a long throw. Which reminds me when the **** did you last see a Hibs player with a long throw?

Decent going forward, awful defensively.

Glory Lurker
08-10-2016, 08:22 PM

:blushie:

Diclonius
08-10-2016, 08:23 PM
Embarrassing and entirely predictable.

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2016, 08:24 PM
within 3 years time we will occupy lithuania's 117th world ranking

Hiber-nation
08-10-2016, 08:25 PM
shouldn't be anywhere near the international team, we're bad enough as it is

And who would you put in?? There are no other players to come in. It's a totally depressing state of affairs and no-one has a clue how to fix it.

At least being a Hibs fan sets you up for stuff like this. The

CentreLine
08-10-2016, 08:25 PM

But but Forrest was Strachans wonder sub. Great decision.

johnbc70
08-10-2016, 08:26 PM
Just when you think we might actually do well in this group!

GlesgaeHibby
08-10-2016, 08:26 PM
Our delivery from set pieces has been woeful

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2016, 08:28 PM
And who would you put in?? There are no other players to come in. It's a totally depressing state of affairs and no-one has a clue how to fix it.

At least being a Hibs fan sets you up for stuff like this. The

Maloney

Off the bar
08-10-2016, 08:29 PM
Forest is pish

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Forest is pish

if only he was as good as that

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2016, 08:31 PM
too late me thinks 1-1

have to give credit to paterson for that throw

hibee_girl
08-10-2016, 08:31 PM
1-1:thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
08-10-2016, 08:32 PM
Strachan has to go.

He's not the man to take Scottish football forward. It needs someone to overhaul the whole system and whenever I hear him speak he seems a bit of a dinosaur.

Onion
08-10-2016, 08:32 PM
1-1 may have saved Strachan's job.

Off the bar
08-10-2016, 08:33 PM
5 minutes injury time, cmon Scotland

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2016, 08:34 PM
oh ffs another one down

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2016, 08:35 PM
maybe naw :(

stoneyburn hibs
08-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Strachan has to go.

He's not the man to take Scottish football forward. It needs someone to overhaul the whole system and whenever I hear him speak he seems a bit of a dinosaur.

With you on that one, yes men for the corrupt SFA will never advance us. Remove the corruption and the whole nations football improves through every level.

Bobo
That was a carbon copy of the dross I withessed at Easter Road this afternoon.There was precious little pace, ability or technique on show, Scottish football really is in a sorry state.

Scouse Hibee
A good point for the minnows against the mighty Lithuania.

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2016, 08:39 PM
so, already out after just two games

Onion
Strachan should still be fired. Disgraceful performance in a must-win home match. Horrible horrible stuff.

Heisenberg
Scotland are mince.

Off the bar
08-10-2016, 08:42 PM
Another qualifying campaign ****ed before its really started. I was saying to a pal before the Malta game my only real hope for the campaign was to get to the last couple of games with it still in our hands. Fat ****ing chance, should have known should have known.

Golden Bear
08-10-2016, 08:44 PM
Scottish sport in general is in decline with the odd exception. (Andy Murray)

Steve-O
08-10-2016, 08:46 PM
Need a win in Slovakia now you'd have to say. 4 points from these two games would have been acceptable. As per, we now need to do it the hard way.

Get Griffiths starting and get Martin and Forrest away. Far away.

Hiber-nation
08-10-2016, 08:46 PM
I hope Strachan will actually admit he's disappointed with the performance instead of coming out with his usual obtuse nonsense.

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2016, 08:47 PM
that Andy Robertson is a pretty good player

Jonnyboy
08-10-2016, 08:48 PM
Need a win in Slovakia now you'd have to say. 4 points from these two games would have been acceptable. As per, we now need to do it the hard way.

Get Griffiths starting and get Martin and Forrest away. Far away.

Chris Martin should stick to fronting Coldplay. Guys a donkey :agree:

California-Hibs
08-10-2016, 08:48 PM
So low key from Scotland tonight! With the quality we had on the field we've got to be better. Couldn't believe he took Burke off to early in the 2nd half and waited till the 70th to bring Griffiths on, he should of been on as soon as they scored. So frustrating!

Jim44
08-10-2016, 08:49 PM
Scotland are mince.

Aberdeen Angus or Tesco economy? :greengrin

Onion
08-10-2016, 08:50 PM
Another qualifying campaign ****ed before its really started. I was saying to a pal before the Malta game my only real hope for the campaign was to get to the last couple of games with it still in our hands. Fat ****ing chance, should have known should have known.

Sadly, this time it's nothing to do with bad breaks, bad luck or "group of death". Scotland are absolutely mince.

SteveHFC
08-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Utter *****.

Must win on Tuesday.

Hiber-nation
08-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Well Strachan that is embarrassing. OK protect the players but that's just ridiculous.

Stax
08-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Same old same old, playing catch up already. Poor performance overall, Hanley poor but nowhere near a start for Newcastle so to be expected. Robertson and Burke the only highlights for me, Strachans post match interview a joke.

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Slovakia lost away to Slovenia, sitting 2nd bottom with no points, they will be desperate to get back on track on tuesday

CentreLine
08-10-2016, 08:59 PM
Strachan is a comedian. That was insulting to every supporter.

Cod Boy
08-10-2016, 08:59 PM
Strachan should concentrate on football to much time spent playing games with the press thinking he is funny with his answers.

Deansy
08-10-2016, 09:04 PM
With you on that one, yes men for the corrupt SFA will never advance us. Remove the corruption and the whole nations football improves through every level.

100% !!. The GFA are solely interested in the 'Old S**M' - as long as they keep these 2 happy, the £100,000+ salaries at Hampden continue !

Jim44
08-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Strachan should concentrate on football to much time spent playing games with the press thinking he is funny with his answers.

:agree: Strachan's managerial career summed up succinctly in a 21 word sentence.

Hiber-nation
08-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Strachan is a comedian. That was insulting to every supporter.

Obviously he never heard the booing. Only previously reserved for Levein. Exalted company alright.

Green-Hibee-7
08-10-2016, 09:08 PM
He honestly is not funny at all. He tries to be a smartarse at every given opportunity. It's just awkward. Comes across as an arrogant prat to be quite honest. I've never had the pleasure of meeting the man but if that's genuinely how he communicates with people he surely must have taken a few punches to the beak.. Small man syndrome.

Biggie
08-10-2016, 09:09 PM

Didn't see the interview, but can imagine the answers were smarmy and facetious.....of course he knew the interviewer hadn't played the game at the highest level, so the lad had no chance....and clearly doesn't know what he's talking about !

jacomo
08-10-2016, 09:12 PM
Strachan has to go.

He doesn't seem to think tactics or organisation matter that much. And although the player pool isn't that deep, I'm unconvinced by his team selections.

Norn Iron and Wales show what can be done with organisation and team spirit.

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2016, 09:14 PM
anyone else see this video of an interview with strachan after the malta game http://www.thesportbible.com/football/funny-watch-gordon-strachans-hilarious-post-match-interview-with-maltan-tv-20160906 a bit unprofessional me thinks :dunno:

Hiber-nation
08-10-2016, 09:14 PM
Didn't see the interview, but can imagine the answers were smarmy and facetious.....of course he knew the interviewer hadn't played the game at the highest level, so the lad had no chance....and clearly doesn't know what he's talking about !

He seemed to be very happy with the performance.

Scottie
08-10-2016, 09:18 PM
He seemed to be very happy with the performance.
And that for me sums the man up.

Not a f---ing clue. :rolleyes:

Haymaker
08-10-2016, 09:20 PM
It's alright lads, we waited 114 years for the cup, we can wait a few more for Scotland!

Although it would help if he picked players likely to ****ing score!!

SteveHFC
08-10-2016, 09:27 PM
It's alright lads, we waited 114 years for the cup, we can wait a few more for Scotland!

Although it would help if he picked players likely to ****ing score!!

This man gets it.

Brightside
08-10-2016, 09:28 PM
so i realise some of the older people on the forum know the game.....but to play Burke up front is stupid. Gor Starch should never be allowed to manage a team. He is a total arse wipe. Buy BH knows best. btw 352 would have murdered them tonight.

emerald green
08-10-2016, 09:29 PM
In each of the last four World Cup campaigns, Scotland have failed to win their first home qualifier at Hampden.

It is 15 years since Scotland even scored in their opening fixture at the national stadium. That was a 2-2 draw with Belgium in 2002 FFS.

As a force in World football, Scotland are minnows and also rans.

lord bunberry
08-10-2016, 09:29 PM
What audience is strachan playing to play to with that interview. We just drew at home to Lithuania. We're set up for yet another failure were we get our act together when the hounors have already been handed out. It's not over, but the fat lady is clearing her throat after 2 games. Brutal.

Golden Bear
08-10-2016, 09:30 PM
If we'd shown the same degree of urgency in the first minute as we did in the last then the result would have been different. Any oh aye, the same could be said about Hibs today.

monktonharp
09-10-2016, 12:12 AM
In each of the last four World Cup campaigns, Scotland have failed to win their first home qualifier at Hampden.

It is 15 years since Scotland even scored in their opening fixture at the national stadium. That was a 2-2 draw with Belgium in 2002 FFS.

As a force in World football, Scotland are minnows and also rans.Scotland are the new Luxenbourg of world football. could not bring myself to watch it. had it all decided, in my ain wee mind, before k.o. as for Strachan, I have never liked his snidey wee non-funny remarks and always remember him making a remark about Hibernian on a Saturday morning programme. tells the audience that he was taken to see Hibs as a kid, thought they were the best, only to find that he knows better now that they mmnb n uhbn yuh are not as big as he thought. Nae Need, especially on National tv.:fuming:

Onceinawhile
09-10-2016, 12:37 AM
Strachan seems to have gotten sparky and Derek riordan mixed up.

It's OK Gordon, you can start sparky.

SteveHFC
09-10-2016, 12:47 AM
Marshall

Paterson, Martin, Hanley, Robertson

Fletcher, McArthur,

Burke, Snodgrass, Anya

Griffiths

Hopefully that's the team on Tuesday.

heretoday
09-10-2016, 04:01 AM
Strachan has a massive chip on his shoulder and it emerges when he faces the press.
He's not such a bad guy in reality.

Holmesdale Hibs
09-10-2016, 05:49 AM
Strachan seems to have gotten sparky and Derek riordan mixed up.

It's OK Gordon, you can start sparky.

Absolutely. And James McArthur who has been immense for Palace the last couple of seasons and never seems to get picked. Barry Bannon on the other hand, nothing against him, but doesn't get a lookin at Palace and has been out on loan in the championship.

I was actually quite please when Strachan stayed on as there was improvement in the last campaign but last night was a Levein-type performance. Boring, frustrating, uninspiring, *****. We even needed the ref to help us out vs Malta.. A pumping at Wembly and another international tournament without Scotland are coming up.

Thecat23
09-10-2016, 07:37 AM
Strachan is a welt. His team selections are almost as embarrassing as his interviews.

Sooner he goes the better!

bingo70
09-10-2016, 07:42 AM
Strachan is a welt. His team selections are almost as embarrassing as his interviews.

I think his times up and he knows it.

He'll go after Tuesday IMO. Interesting to see who possible replacements are. I'd imagine we would consider/target Alex Neil, Michael O'Neill or that Swedish boy that manages Iceland and nearly got the job when we appointed Vogts.

Any other names likely to be in the frame?

Brightside
09-10-2016, 07:54 AM

He'll go after Tuesday IMO. Interesting to see who possible replacements are. I'd imagine we would consider/target Alex Neil, Michael O'Neill or that Swedish boy that manages Iceland and nearly got the job when we appointed Vogts.

Been saying it for years. Shocking coach and surrounds himself with similar. It needs to be someone who isn't in the Blazer Squad.

Pretty Boy
09-10-2016, 08:21 AM

His interview about it not being a must win tells you what you need to know about his approach. The argument will be it was to take the pressure of the players, that's nonsense imo. Every player knows that was a must win, if we are to make the play offs every home game with the exception of England is. His 'not a must win' philosophy came across in Scotlands approach, had we played with the same intensity we did after Lithuania scored from the start we would have won that game, I'm sure of it.

As I've said above he's not what Scotland needs. We need to look at what Germany did in the 00s, what France did in the 90s (on a smaller scale obviously) or perhaps more relevantly what Iceland are doing now. I've heard Strachan talk about football and some of his views on sports science, psychology and other ideas that have been used elsewhere - with success - are archaic.

Unfortunately Scotland won't ever get the manager we need because it's not an attractive job and no one will ever be given the freedom to make the changes to the game from bottom to top (order very much deliberate) that it needs. A forward thinking manager who had a vision to overhaul a failing system is a grave threat to the 'we've always done it this way' blazers. We're stuck with either guys like Strachan or people who can't get a job elsewhere (David Moyes after his inevitavle sacking from Sunderland would be my early tip for next Scotland gaffer) for the forseeable. As long as that continues we won't be gracing major tournaments anytime soon whilst the likes of Slovenia, Croatia, Ireland, Iceland and Wales continue to outperform us.

Speedy
09-10-2016, 08:39 AM
His interview about it not being a must win tells you what you need to know about his approach. The argument will be it was to take the pressure of the players, that's nonsense imo. Every player knows that was a must win, if we are to make the play offs every home game with the exception of England is. His 'not a must win' philosophy came across in Scotlands approach, had we played with the same intensity we did after Lithuania scored from the start we would have won that game, I'm sure of it.

As I've said above he's not what Scotland needs. We need to look at what Germany did in the 00s, what France did in the 90s (on a smaller scale obviously) or perhaps more relevantly what Iceland are doing now. I've heard Strachan talk about football and some of his views on sports science, psychology and other ideas that have been used elsewhere - with success - are archaic.

Unfortunately Scotland won't ever get the manager we need because it's not an attractive job and no one will ever be given the freedom to make the changes to the game from bottom to top (order very much deliberate) that it needs. A forward thinking manager who had a vision to overhaul a failing system is a grave threat to the 'we've always done it this way' blazers. We're stuck with either guys like Strachan or people who can't get a job elsewhere (David Moyes after his inevitavle sacking from Sunderland would be my early tip for next Scotland gaffer) for the forseeable. As long as that continues we won't be gracing major tournaments anytime soon whilst the likes of Slovenia, Croatia, Ireland, Iceland and Wales continue to outperform us.

It's not a must win though is it?

If we win on Tuesday we go 7 points clear of Slovakia who were seeded 2nd in the group.

Of course we should be beating Lithuania but our qualification is far from over.

Bishop Hibee
09-10-2016, 08:51 AM

If we win on Tuesday we go 7 points clear of Slovakia who were seeded 2nd in the group.

Of course we should be beating Lithuania but our qualification is far from over.

You're right. After watching the highlights we had far more chances than Lithuania but the worry is they had the first real clear cut one and scored. Anything less than a win in Tuesday and Strachan will be under real pressure to go.

bingo70
09-10-2016, 09:01 AM

Interesting PB and while I don't disagree with you I would have a couple of questions.

Would it not be asking a bit much of a manager to come in and overhaul 30 years of decline while at the same time getting the first team playing to an acceptable level. You quoted France and Germany but without knowing the facts it surely wasn't their first team manager that was responsible for overhauling the whole shooting match? I remember Houllier was involved but was that not part of a committee and not when he was manager?

Secondly, who would your choice be? I made a few suggestions earlier but I think they'd all be on a hiding to nothing. I wonder if there'd be either an up and coming coach from the likes of Spain or Germany that'd be interested or alternatively an old head like the ex Shalke manager england are considering?

I've no idea what the solution is but if doubt if a new first team manager would be able to fix our problems.

ArmadaleHibs
09-10-2016, 09:08 AM

I don't think anyone's saying our campaign is over but that was a must win, in fact it was a should win/must win if any ambitions are to be met. Obviously there are points still up for grabs.

Strachan said at the beginning of the game that he picked the same team because the players have been immense for their respective clubs in the last few weeks. Grant Hanley doesn't get picked for Newcastle, Martin hasn't scored for Fulham/Derby for 20 games, yet there are better performers on the bench than starting. And as for his post match interviews, trying to be constantly sarcastic and funny actually comes across as not funny and totally pathetic. He does this permanently whether being interviewed or working as a pundit. Apart from win games and a few trophies at Celtic (which pretty much any manager can do) he has been pathetic in terms of success. I'm tired of watching scotland with him at the helm. We will be the nearly boys for ever as long as that small minded man is in charge.

The Harp Awakes
09-10-2016, 09:10 AM
You're right. After watching the highlights we had far more chances than Lithuania but the worry is they had the first real clear cut one and scored. Anything less than a win in Tuesday and Strachan will be under real pressure to go.

Strachan was the main reason for our failure to reach the Euros this year with his crazy team selection and tactics in the Georgia away game. He should have been history after that campaign. He's still there unfortunately and it's looking a fair bet after last night's result that he'll fail again. It's not over yet of course, but if you can't beat Lithuania, a team ranked at 117 in the world on your own patch, then the prospects aren't good.

What I would add is that any Manager would struggle to be successful in the current set-up. The SFA over a prolonged period of time have made Scottish football a laughing stock and have failed big time. The blazers need emptied first before we can have any thoughts of sorting the mess out.

bingo70
09-10-2016, 09:12 AM

It was a must win for me as if you're not good enough to beat Lithuania at home you're not going to be good enough to qualify. Mathematically of course it was nowhere near a must win game but realistically I think it probably was.

neil7908
09-10-2016, 09:15 AM
My first Scotland game in about a decade and I won't be rushing back.

As others have mentioned it was like watching Hibs at the moment but having to travel further and pay more to do so.

We must start with 2 forwards in games like this, the set up isn't good enough against a team we should be beating comfortably.

Just for once I'd love to see us play really positive football and have a go at teams. We had a couple of decent chances but Lithuania looked a better organised team than us.

Their time wasting, feigning injury and Strachan's comments after the game were low points.

Sorry Gordon, if you think that was a good display and we were unlucky you're in the wrong job!

Thecat23
09-10-2016, 09:21 AM

I hope your right and he is away after Tuesday. No idea who'd take the job on though, it goes way beyond just the Scotland team the whole game and mentality of players at grass roots has to change.

Pretty Boy
09-10-2016, 09:28 AM
Interesting PB and while I don't disagree with you I would have a couple of questions.

Would it not be asking a bit much of a manager to come in and overhaul 30 years of decline while at the same time getting the first team playing to an acceptable level. You quoted France and Germany but without knowing the facts it surely wasn't their first team manager that was responsible for overhauling the whole shooting match? I remember Houllier was involved but was that not part of a committee and not when he was manager?

Secondly, who would your choice be? I made a few suggestions earlier but I think they'd all be on a hiding to nothing. I wonder if there'd be either an up and coming coach from the likes of Spain or Germany that'd be interested or alternatively an old head like the ex Shalke manager england are considering?

I've no idea what the solution is but if doubt if a new first team manager would be able to fix our problems.

In the German model Jurgen Klinsmann was certainly the spearhead for the aggressive promotion of youth players through the ranks. It took a while to get results but ultimately it led to the acceptable performance at their home world cup and the success that followed. Again in France it was an aggressive youth policy that brought the later success they enjoyed. The under 21 rule they implemented was huge and gave the likes of Henry and Trezeguet their big breaks.

Obviously it's not a job that can be done solely by the national team manager but they could, and should, be the driving force behind moving football forward in Scotland. Being the Scotland manager should be about more than simply managing the 1st team imo. I'd happily accept missing out on another 2 or 3 major tournaments if it was clear there was a progressive plan in place to improve the whole game. Personally I think the bloated pro youth set up needs looked at. Our own George Craig has spoken passionately about players finding their level, as it is I think too many teams are terrified of missing out on a player so they have huge numbers of young players signed up. In such a system the genuinely elite players aren't getting the attention that could nurture them into a Scottish Bale or Ramsey whilst the less talented are stifled playing at a level above where they may shine. Dropping down a level and playing regularly might just help a late developer flourish and get to that elite level. I'd also like to see a quota introduced for the number of young players in a squad, say 33% of a squad has to be 23 or under.

As for who the next manager could be. No idea. I think we have as much of a lack of talent when it comes to top class managers as we do players at the moment. I like Alex Neil but I'm not sure he'd fancy it. I wouldn't be at all against another foreigner. The Vogts experiment failed, although he did achieve what no home grown manager has since by reaching the play offs, but that shouldn't put us off. Eduardo Berizzo from Celta Viga would be my choice but I think that's a bit pie in the sky as he's currently pushing Barcelona and Real Madrid hard in La Liga.

blackpoolhibs
09-10-2016, 09:30 AM
so i realise some of the older people on the forum know the game.....but to play Burke up front is stupid. Gor Starch should never be allowed to manage a team. He is a total arse wipe. Buy BH knows best. btw 352 would have murdered them tonight.

Ah the classic change of formation and opinion AFTER the event. Well done you, i applaud you and everything you know.

I'm surprised nobody within the SFA has approached you for advice, perhaps they will AFTER the next time we dont win.

Speedy
09-10-2016, 10:09 AM
I don't think anyone's saying our campaign is over but that was a must win, in fact it was a should win/must win if any ambitions are to be met. Obviously there are points still up for grabs.

Strachan said at the beginning of the game that he picked the same team because the players have been immense for their respective clubs in the last few weeks. Grant Hanley doesn't get picked for Newcastle, Martin hasn't scored for Fulham/Derby for 20 games, yet there are better performers on the bench than starting. And as for his post match interviews, trying to be constantly sarcastic and funny actually comes across as not funny and totally pathetic. He does this permanently whether being interviewed or working as a pundit. Apart from win games and a few trophies at Celtic (which pretty much any manager can do) he has been pathetic in terms of success. I'm tired of watching scotland with him at the helm. We will be the nearly boys for ever as long as that small minded man is in charge.

If we're still in a good position regarding qualifying (which we are) then it's not a must win.

hfc rd
09-10-2016, 10:31 AM
Strachan was the main reason for our failure to reach the Euros this year with his crazy team selection and tactics in the Georgia away game. He should have been history after that campaign. He's still there unfortunately and it's looking a fair bet after last night's result that he'll fail again. It's not over yet of course, but if you can't beat Lithuania, a team ranked at 117 in the world on your own patch, then the prospects aren't good.

What I would add is that any Manager would struggle to be successful in the current set-up. The SFA over a prolonged period of time have made Scottish football a laughing stock and have failed big time. The blazers need emptied first before we can have any thoughts of sorting the mess out.

This. It's the blazers at the top that need the finger pointed at the most for the domestic and international failure of the country in football. Regan, Doncaster etc can GTF!

Just Jimmy
09-10-2016, 10:37 AM
If we're still in a good position regarding qualifying (which we are) then it's not a must win.
England are no great shakes. We could have kept the pressure on them with 3 points from a very winnable game.

We were appalling last night and what is worse is we just roll over and accept our fate. We have absolutely zero ambition to even win games at home.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
09-10-2016, 10:49 AM
I don't know who is worse? Hibs or Scotland? Last nights game was like watching Hibs against a championship club, better than them but just can't beat them. Two utterly ***** teams.

number9dream
09-10-2016, 11:42 AM
Outside the very top teams, international football is dire and watching Scotland has been grim for a long time now.

Still, there is always an emotional pull and it looks like England will run away with the group while the others scrap it out and take points off each other.

If we don't lose in Slovakia on Tuesday then an embarrassing situation is rescued somewhat but the Slovaks will be fired up having lost both of their games.

Of course, if lots of points are dropped by the rest then there is a real chance that this is the group that doesn't get a play-off place. That would be a new form of heartache...