PDA

View Full Version : Oli Shaw

Hibby Bairn
04-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Scored for Scotland U19s tonight in a 2-0 win v Sweden.

Golden Bear
05-10-2016, 07:57 AM

Well done to the young guy.

Wouldn't it be great to see a few youngsters from the development team make a straight transition to the first team squad. If they're not good enough by the time they are 20 then they chances are that they'll never be good enough.

Just my opinion of course.

BlackSheep
05-10-2016, 08:12 AM

Wouldn't it be great to see a few youngsters from the development team make a straight transition to the first team squad. If they're not good enough by the time they are 20 then they chances are that they'll never be good enough.

Yup... because Jamie Vardy was the scoring sensation of last season at the tender ager of 28!!

Not every player can be a Rooney or an Owen and break into the first team before 20.

BSEJVT
05-10-2016, 08:16 AM

Not just your opinion

I couldn't give a hoot about the under 20's results but I do wonder if we retain players who aren't going to make it just for the sake of bolstering them.

There are very few examples of Hibs letting go players who have gone on to better things in recent years and we should trust our judgement more, promote from the younger teams quicker and test these guys mettle.

I cant think of one Hibs player in my time watching who want featuring regularly at the least on the bench by the time they were 20 who went on to do so.

Sure guys have came in, played and bit, dropped out and came back but there has no-one I could think of who appeared from the obscurity of the under 20's or before them the reserves.

J-C
05-10-2016, 08:47 AM
Jason was the same age as Ollie when he made his Hibs debut 18, if this lad is any good get him involved asap in the 1st team set up, he does seem to have an eye for goal.

BlackSheep
05-10-2016, 08:53 AM
Jason was the same age as Ollie when he made his Hibs debut 18, if this lad is any good get him involved asap in the 1st team set up, he does seem to have an eye foe goal.

Hopefully we have a recall clause in the loan he is on.... fresh talent up front could shake things up a bit.

Big_Franck
05-10-2016, 11:28 AM
Whenever I check the match reports for the U20s he always seems to have scored. I've never actually seen him play though, does anyone know what kind of forward he is? Big, strong number 9? Pacey wide player? Smaller, tricky number 10 type? None of the above? :greengrin

California-Hibs
06-10-2016, 12:58 AM
Whenever I check the match reports for the U20s he always seems to have scored. I've never actually seen him play though, does anyone know what kind of forward he is? Big, strong number 9? Pacey wide player? Smaller, tricky number 10 type? None of the above? :greengrin

Be interested to know this too, seems a good prospect!

ChilliEater
06-10-2016, 01:25 AM

I've never seen him either, but sure I remember someone on a previous thread comparing him, physically at least, to Peter Crouch, only much skinnier. Which might mean that, regardless of his talent, it could be 2 or 3 years before he's bulked up enough to have an impact at first team level.

Brightside
06-10-2016, 07:50 AM

He over 6ft. Thin, a bit of pace, decent with both feet.

GreenPJ
06-10-2016, 08:30 AM

That alone should get him in the first team squad.

Pretty Boy
06-10-2016, 08:40 AM
What would worry me with throwing him in is that there would be a lot of pressure on him to replicate his 20s form quickly.

Take Jason Cummings as an example, he scored for fun in the 20s but it took him a long time to get going in the 1st team. Different teams and different levels obviously but I'd be tempted to let him see out his loan spell for now.

woodythehibee
06-10-2016, 08:45 AM
What would worry me with throwing him in is that there would be a lot of pressure on him to replicate his 20s form quickly.

Take Jason Cummings as an example, he scored for fun in the 20s but it took him a long time to get going in the 1st team. Different teams and different levels obviously but I'd be tempted to let him see out his loan spell for now.

Tend to agree. Also Jason had/has a better build than Oli does at present. He will be able to develop his game playing for 90 mins at Stenny as opposed to 10 mins here and there for the first team or playing for our development team.

I'm pretty sure we signed Shaw from Hearts so he could be the next Jason Cummings :agree:

JDHibs
06-10-2016, 08:59 AM
This is quickly becoming a pet peeve of mine.

When a lad who isnt near the first team, scores a few goals at lower level, people automatically come out with, "stick him in the first team"...

Its happened with Insall alot, now Shaw.

If these guys were good enough, they would be in the first team and not out on loa. Scoring goals in League 1/2 or the U20s does not automatically mean they will be a success in the first team. Jason Cummings is a great example, he scored for fun the U21s then took an age to get used to football in the first team, and even still, hasnt down it at a top level.

These guys are doing well, dont get me wrong, but Shaw still needs time to develop, he has the tools to be a good player but he needs to grasp the first team chances at Stenny first, then come back and state his case. Same with Insall, he will get more game time with East Fife last season, but he only scored 7 goals last season, started well this season so hopefully he keeps going in the right direction.

We also have 4 very decent strikers who would get a game for pretty much any team in Scotland bar the top 2 or 3. So who do we get rid of? Having 8 strikers in the first isnt going to get us goals.

Craig_in_Prague
06-10-2016, 09:00 AM

So basically a slightly taller Derek Riordan - get him in :)

WeeRussell
06-10-2016, 11:35 AM

I've only seen him play once and it was as a wide forward, if you will. Certainly not strong - there's nothing to him at all! He did score that day though :greengrin

Insall was also playing that day and definitely stood-out more from the two, albeit it was only one game I seen both of them play.

I don't expect to see either in our first team in 2016.

JimBHibees
07-10-2016, 10:30 AM

Just saw the highlights of that goal, what a superb team goal it was. Well taken but pretty simple finish to be fair.