PDA

View Full Version : Announcement The term 'Hun' is deemed not offensive

Moulin Yarns
04-10-2016, 12:00 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/news/hun-and-jock-not-considered-offensive-by-ofcom-1-4248100

Damn, takes the fun away

Craig_HFC
04-10-2016, 12:02 PM
When are the Huns making an official statement?

jacomo
04-10-2016, 12:05 PM
When are the Huns making an official statement?

They are too shocked and sickened to respond.

cabbageandribs1875
04-10-2016, 12:06 PM
Hun Hun
Hun Hun

Moulin Yarns
04-10-2016, 12:08 PM
Hun Hun
Hun Hun

See, doesn't offend me in the least :greengrin

Bostonhibby
04-10-2016, 12:14 PM
I was never offended by it in the first place but it's handy to know

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

greenginger
04-10-2016, 12:14 PM
Love the bit where it said some respondents thought hun was just an abbreviation for " honey ". :confused:

Maybe in " get it right up you honey ! " well perhaps not. :greengrin

Bostonhibby
04-10-2016, 12:17 PM
The the rangers bellends, wonder what Ofcom make of that?

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Jim44
04-10-2016, 12:19 PM
Tough on the Huns but how did the prats doing the survey differentiate the offensiveness between 'Jock' and 'Taffy'?

Onion
04-10-2016, 12:21 PM
Strange, have always found every Hun offensive in every context.

matty_f
04-10-2016, 12:22 PM
It's not been a good week for them, has it? :greengrin

Jack
04-10-2016, 12:47 PM
Love the bit where it said some respondents thought hun was just an abbreviation for " honey ". :confused:

Maybe in " get it right up you honey ! " well perhaps not. :greengrin

Yeah, I know a young lady that's forever calling me hun. It takes a bit of getting used to.

She's a barmaid, with a lovely smile, so I don't mind too much :-)

Pretty Boy
04-10-2016, 12:49 PM
I thought hun was a derogatory term for a Protestant? Or have people stopped pretending that's the case now?

Moulin Yarns
04-10-2016, 12:52 PM
I thought hun was a derogatory term for a Protestant? Or have people stopped pretending that's the case now?

Only Huns pretended ever thus! :wink:

BullsCloseHibs
04-10-2016, 12:53 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/news/hun-and-jock-not-considered-offensive-by-ofcom-1-4248100

Damn, takes the fun away

Dont think our 'pals' over in Govan will think that way :greengrin

Cabbage East
04-10-2016, 12:55 PM
Anyone else really, really looking forward to playing them?

Since90+2
04-10-2016, 12:56 PM
The Huns hate to be called Huns. Probably why everyone continues to call them the Huns.

04-10-2016, 01:01 PM
Pretty much confirms what everyone already knew. The huns trying to claim it as bigotry is simply a pathetic attempt to tar everyone else with the same brush as them.

Nice try ya tramps :bye::giruy2::lolrangers:

SRHibs
04-10-2016, 01:02 PM
"seen as less acceptable by those familiar with the history and use of the term as a sectarian insult"

Seen as less acceptable by Huns, basically.

lapsedhibee
04-10-2016, 01:05 PM
Shame. After a lot of practice I had just perfected the ":singing: Go home, ya stills, go home, ya stills, go home, ya stills, go home :singing:" routine. That's all wasted now. :boo hoo:

SRHibs
04-10-2016, 01:08 PM
It seems they've just questioned 248 random UK citizens. Gingers, Scots etc. are a minority, so I don't think it really paints an accurate picture of what is/isn't offensive.

Jim44
04-10-2016, 01:13 PM

I have honestly never thought of Hun as a derogatory term for a Protestant. I always thought it referred to barbaric and primitive beings.

The_Horde
04-10-2016, 01:21 PM
I have honestly never thought of Hun as a derogatory term for a Protestant. I always thought it referred to barbaric and primitive beings.

A Hun I know found it offensive in his words as "they used to call the Germans the Huns during the war and his grandad and many other people's grandads died fighting them"

Pretty Boy
04-10-2016, 01:21 PM
As did any sensible person.

For whatever reason Nil by Mouth indulged the huns (see what I did there) and listed it as sectarian. I think it's all part of the charade in Scottish football where we have to pretend the sectarian issue extends further than the big Glasgow clubs.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Fuzzywuzzy
04-10-2016, 01:22 PM

Did they not inherit the title from a repoter compared them to 'maurauding huns" after they were being naughty in the '70's? Seems they have confused the meaning that was intended into the sectarian issue they think now.

danhibees1875
04-10-2016, 01:24 PM

I think it was the name for a certain group of primitive people initially, which then became a common way to refer to enemy soldiers during the war. Therefore with rangers being an enemy and their fans portraying a primitive nature, they became huns. In more recent history, a new club has emerged which shows similar primitive tendencies and therefore also get themselves refered to as huns.

It's not sectarian, like many argue. But it is offensive to be fair - as most names are.

I imagine the response from West is along the lines of "how dare those jakey spoonburning hobos call us "huns" - don't those f***** b******* know it's no very nice but"

jacomo
04-10-2016, 01:26 PM
A Hun I know found it offensive in his words as "they used to call the Germans the Huns during the war and his grandad and many other people's grandads died fighting them"

Perjorative term, sure. Not sectarian though is it? Germans are of many faiths, lots of them Catholic.

MrSmith
04-10-2016, 01:31 PM

I guess that would only apply if you considered yourself a Protestant through a faith based system. I'm an atheist so, don't use it and couldn't care less. Although the Hun history is extremely interesting.

Hibernia&Alba
04-10-2016, 01:33 PM
It's offensive in a mild sense. The whole point of using the word is to upset The Rangers - they hate it - but it isn't sectarian/racist. If it's a religious slur, as they claim, why do hundreds of thousands of Scottish football fans who are themselves Protestant use the word to describe The Rangers? I always think of the barbaric tribe of yore; Rangers fans being the modern equivalent :greengrin

greenginger
04-10-2016, 01:44 PM

I always thought they got the name Hun from their support of the Hanoverian or German line of succession as opposed to the Jacobean line who lost in 1690.

No matter, it sums them up pretty well, even if its a bit insulting to the original Huns.

hughio
04-10-2016, 02:29 PM
It may not be an offensive term however it certainly is a term used by normal people to describe people whose behaviour is offensive.

"No one likes us

We don't care.

We hate the Celtc, the FBs,

We love to chase them everywhere"

Who but an offensive HUN would sing such stuff?

Kojock
04-10-2016, 02:42 PM
If someone called me a Hun you can bet your bottom dollar I would be offended.

NAE NOOKIE
04-10-2016, 03:10 PM
"The term can be classed as offensive when used in a sectarian context" ...... But that's the point, its not being used in a sectarian context and the fact that its used to insult folk many of whom are sectarian doesn't make it sectarian.

If it does and you apply that logic then that makes every insult you use against them sectarian, which is of course ridiculous ..... Hun has never been used as a sectarian insult either here or in Ireland the fact that the Huns want it to become one says more about their disgusting sectarian attitudes than the folk who use it.

So to all the Huns out there ...... I couldn't care less if you are a Protestant, Catholic, Muslim, Buddhist, Sikh, Hindu, Scientologist or an atheist .... you support Sevco and therefor you are a Hun, that's all you need to qualify ..... congratulations :greengrin

hibsbollah
04-10-2016, 03:11 PM
It is definitely used by some members of the RC community in Ulster to describe protestants. Ive heard a catholic described as a 'hun lover' because she started going out with a protestant. So as much as we'd like to pretend otherwise, it does have a sectarian context.

Bishop Hibee
04-10-2016, 03:53 PM
It is definitely used by some members of the RC community in Ulster to describe protestants. Ive heard a catholic described as a 'hun lover' because she started going out with a protestant. So as much as we'd like to pretend otherwise, it does have a sectarian context.

But does it ever in Scotland? One of my godsons is a former altar boy at Holy Cross and a Rangers fan. I'd quite happily wind him up about being a Hun. Rangers are desperately trying to make it sectarian. It isn't. I'd never call a Hearts supporting Orange Order member a Hun.

Gmack7
04-10-2016, 04:04 PM
If it's no offensive to sevco I'll need to find something else that is

Hibs Class
04-10-2016, 04:14 PM
But does it ever in Scotland? One of my godsons is a former altar boy at Holy Cross and a Rangers fan. I'd quite happily wind him up about being a Hun. Rangers are desperately trying to make it sectarian. It isn't. I'd never call a Hearts supporting Orange Order member a Hun.

Correct. I think the appropriate term there may be diet hun!

oldbutdim
04-10-2016, 04:14 PM
It may not be an offensive term however it certainly is a term used by normal people to describe people whose behaviour is offensive.

"No one likes us

We don't care.

I'm not keen on Celtc or Facebook either, but I'm no Hun.
:confused:

cabbageandribs1875
04-10-2016, 04:30 PM

well i'm a proddy and it doesn't hurt my feelings at all, being called a the rangers fan would be far worse, and hurtful

Pete
04-10-2016, 04:34 PM
So these findings are based on a huge sample of 248 people from all around the Uk. Some who don't even know what some words mean or will never understand certain contexts.

I think the rubber stamp is still firmly in the drawer as far as I'm concerned. :hmmm:

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-10-2016, 04:51 PM
Pretty much confirms what everyone already knew. The huns trying to claim it as bigotry is simply a pathetic attempt to tar everyone else with the same brush as them.

Does that make them tarriers? ;-)

Jack Hackett
04-10-2016, 04:58 PM
So these findings are based on a huge sample of 248 people from all around the Uk. Some who don't even know what some words mean or will never understand certain contexts.

I think the rubber stamp is still firmly in the drawer as far as I'm concerned. :hmmm:

:agree:

Meaningless survey. The majority of participants likely to live in England, call Scots Jock because, well...you are, aren't you?

Same goes for 'Hun'. When I went to school, the definition was...and still is

Noun.
1. a member of a nomadic and warlike Asian people who devastated or controlled large parts of eastern and central Europe and who exercised their greatest power under Attila in the 5th century a.d.

2.(often lowercase) a barbarous, destructive person; vandal.

3.Older Slang: Disparaging and Offensive. a contemptuous term used to refer to a German, especially a German soldier in World War I or II.

It was never applied to them as protestants, but because they displayed all the attributes of the definitions for 1 and 2 above.

Just another hand in their game of 'Victims'

Kavinho
04-10-2016, 05:28 PM

But surely only in the context of describing said protestant as a supporter of the The Rangers Fc?

Dashing Bob S
04-10-2016, 06:21 PM
I have to say that I feel incredibly sorry for Rangers and their fans on this one, who campaigned tirelessly in order to have the term designated offensive.

I feel that we must take our share of the blame for this shabby state of affairs.

Therefore I propose, that to further their cause, we all sing GO HOME YA HUNS with increasing venom and prefix or suffix 'Hun' references with a derogatory term.

O'Rourke3
04-10-2016, 07:22 PM
So the Huns are still Huns, I'm waiting for the "We demand to know who this Ofgen people are! We also demand to know why this unelected bunch of Catholics at Ofwat are able to influence this type of research. We also need to know why the SFA are doing nothing while one of their founder members are being treated in an ofhand way"

hibsbollah
04-10-2016, 07:22 PM
But surely only in the context of describing said protestant as a supporter of the The Rangers Fc?

I think that's unlikely given the actual context, which was abusing someone for going out with the 'wrong sort' in a community like Derry.

I don't really have a drum to beat on the subject:greengrin as it were. In fact, I use the word myself, often with massive amounts of offense intended. Which probably makes me worse.

JJP
04-10-2016, 07:23 PM
It is definitely used in NI to describe Protestants.

Eyrie
04-10-2016, 08:03 PM
We all know that the term "hun" is not offensive.

It is the behaviour of the huns which is offensive.

Kavinho
04-10-2016, 08:50 PM
I think that's unlikely given the actual context, which was abusing someone for going out with the 'wrong sort' in a community like Derry.

I don't really have a drum to beat on the subject:greengrin as it were. In fact, I use the word myself, often with massive amounts of offense intended. Which probably makes me worse.

Accepted.
Slight mis-read from me over who exactly was the Hunlover..
Not the Hunlover but the Hunlovers lover
:greengrin

monktonharp
04-10-2016, 11:44 PM
It is definitely used by some members of the RC community in Ulster to describe protestants. Ive heard a catholic described as a 'hun lover' because she started going out with a protestant. So as much as we'd like to pretend otherwise, it does have a sectarian context.I doubt that. they're animals. sums them up better.

Jack
05-10-2016, 07:34 AM
I popped over to the bears den to see how apoplectic they were.

Sadly not too fussed to be honest apart from one or two.

Indeed a good few tell of the old/new firm history behind the term.

It was rangers that first used the term to celtc during or just after WWII. It seems celtc park was closed at the time as a result of rampant Irish nationalism and and a fondness for helping the Germans!

Many can remember hun chants aimed at the celtc fans as late as the 1970s.

There's a few suggesting reclaiming the term and encouraging a couple of their groups, I didn't know what the initials meant, to make banners using the word for the semi final. That would confuse them they said.

I've just ordered more popcorn!

Phil MaGlass
05-10-2016, 07:41 AM

"No one likes us

We don't care.

Maybe ra Sellik could turn their song on them

"No HUN likes us

We don't care.

We hate the The Rangers, the HBs,