PDA

View Full Version : Irn Bru opportunity

Wheat Hound
03-10-2016, 10:25 AM
I'm not that fussed 're the tournament itself but perhaps the opportunity this Saturday of trying a new formation / playing style, allied with getting a few goals hopefully, might give us a much needed boost?

A chance to try a flat 442 with Shinnie and Boyle out wide and Holt and Keatings up front, and also giving the likes of Crane, Scott Martin and Fraser Murray the chance to press their claims.

Smartie
03-10-2016, 10:37 AM
I'm not that fussed 're the tournament itself but perhaps the opportunity this Saturday of trying a new formation / playing style, allied with getting a few goals hopefully, might give us a much needed boost?

A chance to try a flat 442 with Shinnie and Boyle out wide and Holt and Keatings up front, and also giving the likes of Crane, Scott Martin and Fraser Murray the chance to press their claims.

I quite liked the way that Lennon used the game the last time to give the squad players a run out but I think we need to use this game as a competitive practice match to work on a line-up and formation that we can use in league games.

So I'd like to see a strong team put out, possibly taking the opportunity to try things such as dropping Cummings and playing with Harris and Boyle. Crane must get a game (and he must take the opportunity to show us what he can do). I don't know what has happened to Holt but he should be getting game time to show what he can do as well.

Diclonius
03-10-2016, 11:25 AM
Pretty sure Shinnie was played out wide yesterday. It didn't work.

I'd definitely try a wide formation though on Saturday. Boyle and someone else.

Albanian Hibs
03-10-2016, 11:49 AM

Not actually sure where Shinnie was supposed to be playing yesterday.

JDHibs
03-10-2016, 12:00 PM

Shinnie plays in the role behind the strikers, its a "floating" role, can go where he likes.

Jones28
03-10-2016, 12:07 PM
I think we have to look at these games as chances to try different formations with the first team. Lets get that sorted before we start blooding youngsters.

Brightside
03-10-2016, 01:03 PM

If Shinnie was supposed to be playing wide he didn't...same goes for McGinn. none of our midfield played wide.

ancient hibee
03-10-2016, 05:43 PM
Play Boyle and Harris-right and left.Let the full backs defend and let wingers attack-or am I too old fashioned.

bigwheel
03-10-2016, 06:39 PM
Play Boyle and Harris-right and left.Let the full backs defend and let wingers attack-or am I too old fashioned.

can't think of another team that plays two wingers these days....I'm sure there will be some, but it's very rare...and in a straight 4 4 2 almost unheard of...as you get out numbered in the centre of midfield....

Eyrie
03-10-2016, 07:27 PM

can't think of another team that plays two wingers these days....I'm sure there will be some, but it's very rare...and in a straight 4 4 2 almost unheard of...as you get out numbered in the centre of midfield....

That can be solved by playing 4-3-3.

Laidlaw; Eardley, McGregor, Hanlon, Crane; Bartley, Martin, Shinnie; Boyle, Holt, Keatings works for me on Saturday. Fyvie, McGeouch and Cummings would be a strong bench.

Billy Whizz
03-10-2016, 07:35 PM
I'd given Jason a wee break, unlike some of his colleagues, he's played every weekend for Scotland under 20's for a bit now, when some of the others have had time off

MWHIBBIES
03-10-2016, 07:37 PM
can't think of another team that plays two wingers these days....I'm sure there will be some, but it's very rare...and in a straight 4 4 2 almost unheard of...as you get out numbered in the centre of midfield....Basically every top team in the world plays with 2 wingers/wide forwards. They just play 1 striker and 3 midfielders.

bigwheel
03-10-2016, 07:44 PM
Basically every top team in the world plays with 2 wingers/wide forwards. They just play 1 striker and 3 midfielders.

Completely different shape...wide forward and wingers are different roles too

overdrive
03-10-2016, 08:33 PM
Laidlaw
Eardley, Forster, Fontaine (if fit, Hanlon if not), Crane
Fyvie, McGeough
Boyle, Keatings, Harris
Holt

MWHIBBIES
03-10-2016, 08:47 PM
Completely different shape...wide forward and wingers are different roles tooYes it is a completely different shape but there are still plenty of clubs that play it with wingers. A wide/inside forward is often just a winger that cuts inside to cross/shoot.

Drewster
03-10-2016, 09:14 PM
Yes it is a completely different shape but there are still plenty of clubs that play it with wingers. A wide/inside forward is often just a winger that cuts inside to cross/shoot.

We could play 4141

MARCIANO

GRAY McGREGOR HANLON STEVENSON

FYVIE (BARTLEY)

BOYLE SHINNIE (Dylan) McGINN KEATINGS

HOLT (Cummings)

danhibees1875
03-10-2016, 09:21 PM
Laidlaw
Eardley, Forster, Fontaine (if fit, Hanlon if not), Crane
Fyvie, McGeough
Boyle, Keatings, Harris
Holt

That can be solved by playing 4-3-3.

Laidlaw; Eardley, McGregor, Hanlon, Crane; Bartley, Martin, Shinnie; Boyle, Holt, Keatings works for me on Saturday. Fyvie, McGeouch and Cummings would be a strong bench.

Struggled to pick between these 2, but I think the first one is the worst suggested team I've seen for a long time.

At the very least, is this assuming Gray is injured?

Eyrie
03-10-2016, 09:43 PM
Struggled to pick between these 2, but I think the first one is the worst suggested team I've seen for a long time.

At the very least, is this assuming Gray is injured?

I'm relaxed about being knocked out of this competition before we play too many games but whilst we're in it then we may as well use it to give the fringe players some game time. I'd assume that overdrive had the same idea.

danhibees1875
03-10-2016, 09:49 PM
I'm relaxed about being knocked out of this competition before we play too many games but whilst we're in it then we may as well use it to give the fringe players some game time. I'd assume that overdrive had the same idea.
I've completely lost track of what thread I was reading. Didn't realise this was just for the irn bru cup! Sorry about that :greengrin

At which point, those teams make much more sense!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Nicho87
03-10-2016, 10:44 PM
Goalie
Gray mcgregor hanlon stevenson
Fyvie dylan mcginn
Boyle cummings keatings

number9dream
04-10-2016, 09:02 AM
Marciano
McGregor Forster Hanlon
Boyle Shinnie Fyvie Stevenson
Keatings Holt Cummings

Play at an insane Klopp / Pochettino tempo then get the subs on after an hour when we are 8-0 up...

Gray, McGeough rested.

California-Hibs
04-10-2016, 09:11 AM
Was going to put up a similar thread. Would like to see us try and front 3 of Keatings, Holt, Cummings, and also get Boyle into that midfield for width. Hopefully a new look formation is tried. Wouldn't mind seeing young Crane given a chance.

Hamish
04-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Jack Ross appointed new St Mirren manager

overdrive
04-10-2016, 05:27 PM

Indeed.

Eyrie
04-10-2016, 08:11 PM
I've completely lost track of what thread I was reading. Didn't realise this was just for the irn bru cup! Sorry about that :greengrin

At which point, those teams make much more sense!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

So I'm no longer the worst manager since Terry Butcher :greengrin

CRAZYHIBBY
04-10-2016, 08:28 PM
We should be going with our strongest team in order to win....this might be our only chance of silverware this season

nellio
05-10-2016, 10:24 AM
None of our midfielders play "wide" IMO that's the problem. We are playing the same diamond that we did last year under stubbs. I think when teams sit back we need with and overlapping fullbacks to streth the play. That's why we struggle to break teams down a lot of the time. When Lewis and Grey push fprward to provide with the ball goes back inside most of the time. I would prefer to see pacey wingers tearing down the line. This Saturdays game is a good opportunity to try out a new wider formation with Boyle and harris out wide.

Radium
05-10-2016, 11:24 AM
As long as Holt plays, we have dropped 7 points since he was subbed in the Ayr game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HappyHanlon
07-10-2016, 12:07 PM
Diddy relegation cup.

Put out a mix of development and fringe players.

Be lucky if there's 7K there.

Diclonius
07-10-2016, 12:24 PM
I won't be there - spent my money on a ticket away to Raith.

Absolutely nothing wrong with going to the game - just not for me. If we stay in then I'll consider it if we get an interesting away tie/one of the Welsh/Irish teams or make the semis.

Billy Whizz
07-10-2016, 01:12 PM
Diddy relegation cup.

Put out a mix of development and fringe players.

Be lucky if there's 7K there.

A few maybe, but we still want to win the game
Hope there's more than 7K, 3pm at Easter rd on a Saturday, and cheap prices as well

biotech
07-10-2016, 01:20 PM
We need to get back to winning way. So, I'd play our strongest team - Only, not sure Lennon knows what it is! It important to win. Therefore, an experimental/new formation may be seen as to much of a risk.

Pretty Boy
07-10-2016, 01:21 PM
A win will do the confidence good and if we are in this cup then I want to win it. Without risking our league prospects of course.

Dashing Bob S
07-10-2016, 01:59 PM
If it's the choice of a meaningless Scotland match and a meaningless Hibs one, I'll go for the latter every time.

Ronniekirk
07-10-2016, 05:38 PM
If it's the choice of a meaningless Scotland match and a meaningless Hibs one, I'll go for the latter every time.

Me to D B S Will be there with my son Only fourth game of season and hope to see improvement n last week in terms of chances created and gols scored

RedHibby
07-10-2016, 06:11 PM
Marciano
McGregor Forster Hanlon
Boyle Shinnie Fyvie Stevenson
Keatings Holt Cummings

Play at an insane Klopp / Pochettino tempo then get the subs on after an hour when we are 8-0 up...

Gray, McGeough rested.

I like your thinking but we are struggling to score two goals in a game so I think eight in a half hour might be a big ask.

B.H.F.C
07-10-2016, 07:05 PM
I'd have been all for giving our main players a rest in this competition. But we need to get back to winning ways so it would be the strongest available team for me.

I would try something a bit different. Quite like the idea of Cummings and Keatings playing up with Holt and is just going for it.

Bishop Hibee
07-10-2016, 07:24 PM
None of the 7 ST holders I sit with going. Combination of Scotland game and indifference to this cup (at the moment).

Scouse Hibee
07-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Saturday 3pm, cheap prices (only £10 if ST holders bought a ticket) £12 for walk ups surely a half decent crowd.

Zazu62
07-10-2016, 07:34 PM
No dot count this week then lads?

Billy Whizz
07-10-2016, 09:02 PM
Livingston have beat crusaders away 2-1 tonight, good result for them

BS44
07-10-2016, 09:09 PM
Livingston have beat crusaders away 2-1 tonight, good result for them

Along with the other charges to this tournament they should have ditched extra time as well

cabbageandribs1875
07-10-2016, 10:47 PM
FT Crusaders 1 Livi 2

Ayr 1 Falkirk 0 AET

pedroorange1875
07-10-2016, 10:53 PM

Embarrassing cup competition or going to watch the country i love....Scotland every time

SteveHFC
07-10-2016, 11:01 PM
Going to the game tomorrow then leaving roughly 10 mins or so before the end to get the train through to Hampden.

Dunbar Hibee
07-10-2016, 11:36 PM
Couldn't give a **** about Scotland. Always want Hibs to win but not gonna lose sleep if we were knocked out of this embarrassing 'tournament'.

jgl07
08-10-2016, 12:31 AM
None of the 7 ST holders I sit with going. Combination of Scotland game and indifference to this cup (at the moment).
Good.

That may get rid of some of the negativity if the part timers do not attend.

pedroorange1875
08-10-2016, 01:57 AM
Are we really going to get even slightly excited at progressing in the non entity cup....deary me...lets just stay down in the lower leagues for the rest of the century...my god.....im off to support non entity united city....i here they will get promoted soon along with west scotland FC

Meanwhile in the real world for the moment....COME ON SCOTLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

California-Hibs
08-10-2016, 05:07 AM
Embarrassing cup competition or going to watch the country i love....Scotland every time

A million times this! 👍 It's a World Cup Qualifier FFS!

The Irn Bru Cup 😂

Dashing Bob S
08-10-2016, 05:24 AM
Couldn't give a **** about Scotland. Always want Hibs to win but not gonna lose sleep if we were knocked out of this embarrassing 'tournament'.

This is where I'm at.

Heisenberg
08-10-2016, 06:17 AM
I think we'll play a pretty strong team tbh.

superfurryhibby
08-10-2016, 07:11 AM
Good.

That may get rid of some of the negativity if the part timers do not attend.

Irony bypass or a self congratulatory whoosh?

Brooster
08-10-2016, 07:12 AM
Hibs are at home and I will be there cheering them on .....thats what I do. The reality is that we are where we are and if we are in this cup we should be trying to win it.

Kojock
08-10-2016, 07:20 AM
Hibs are at home and I will be there cheering them on .....thats what I do. The reality is that we are where we are and if we are in this cup we should be trying to win it.

Like you I want Hibs to win every single game no matter the competition or what level, be it the development squad or the ladies I want a Hibs victory. For that reason I will be at ER today.

Scorrie
08-10-2016, 07:38 AM
Tricky game today I reckon. New manager at St Mirren and so likely to be a reaction from thier players. Just seen that they have appointed James Fowler as assistant. Did a decent job at QOTS

Allant1981
08-10-2016, 07:52 AM

And how is it embarrassing, its a cup for lower league teams, we are a lower league team, hibs before any other football team for me

Keith_M
08-10-2016, 07:55 AM
So what do we think the size of the crowd will be, given that STs aren't valid for the game?

Kojock
08-10-2016, 08:00 AM
So what do we think the size of the crowd will be, given that STs aren't valid for the game?

Think we will struggle to get 5,000

Super_JMcGinn
08-10-2016, 08:00 AM

Keith_M
08-10-2016, 08:03 AM

Very precise guesstimate

:greengrin

One Day
08-10-2016, 08:18 AM
And how is it embarrassing, its a cup for lower league teams, we are a lower league team, hibs before any other football team for me

Well said

JimBHibees
08-10-2016, 08:57 AM

Spot on think it is a useful fixture to keep players sharp for league games. Might allow a few fringe guys to get a run also. St mirren with new manager will fancy it too

Heisenberg
08-10-2016, 10:13 AM
Many saying they don't care about this game. I'm sure the reaction if we lose will reflect that mood perfectly...

rotherhamrob
08-10-2016, 10:25 AM
I wasn't too bothered about this comp,however I think that given our recent form we need to win,not winning becomes a habit we don't want to get into.

The Captain....
08-10-2016, 11:18 AM
Decided to go this morning, lovely day, few pints, football at ER, then a couple of refreshments after watching the internationals. Perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thecat23
08-10-2016, 11:42 AM
Good luck to the boys today. I'm not going myself, lazy day watching box sets.

3-0 Hibs.

Real Emerald
08-10-2016, 11:42 AM
Decided to go this morning, lovely day, few pints, football at ER, then a couple of refreshments after watching the internationals. Perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's exactly where I am. Wasn't going at all, got up and seen what a great day it was and thought of all those freezing cold days and the soaking two weeks ago at QOS and decided I'd be mad not to go. Bought my tickets this morning and now looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

Billy Whizz
08-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Can't believe the apathy on here for the game. Maybe a low priority for us, but for gods sake it a Hibs game at 3pm on a Saturday, good prices and a lovely day too!!!!

My_Wife_Camille
08-10-2016, 12:51 PM
If we get more than Hibs Ladies got during the week I'll be impressed.

I can see why people aren't interested. Just as the excellent scenes at Brondby were a reward for what we achieved last year, this game simply represents where we failed. A third season in the Championship giving us a third shot at the diddiest relegation cup of all? No thanks.

cabbageandribs1875
08-10-2016, 01:06 PM
leeanne dempster saying hibs expect between 4 and 5000

Heisenberg
08-10-2016, 01:08 PM
4-3-3. Marciano, Gray, Forster, McGregor, Hanlon, Fyvie, McGeough, Shinnie, Harris, Keatings, Boyle.

Width and pace....

Green Man
08-10-2016, 01:12 PM
Interesting line up, a front 5 capable of creating goals.

Dashing Bob S
08-10-2016, 01:14 PM
Not bothered about the diddy challenge cup and couldn't less about the result. But I'm glad the game is on as I detest my domestic season being interrupted by boring internationals.

B.H.F.C
08-10-2016, 01:17 PM
Interesting that Hanlon continues at left back

danhibees1875
08-10-2016, 01:18 PM
4-3-3. Marciano, Gray, Forster, McGregor, Hanlon, Fyvie, McGeough, Shinnie, Harris, Keatings, Boyle.

Width and pace....

Is it definitely a 4-3-3? No chance Dylan or Boyle are LWB?

Albanian Hibs
08-10-2016, 01:18 PM
Interesting line up, a front 5 capable of creating goals.

I dont think this is the team? Anyone know the line up yet?

Edit - yes it is, just saw it in twitter

Heisenberg
08-10-2016, 01:19 PM

Yes, it is the team.

Brightside
08-10-2016, 01:19 PM
Interesting that Hanlon continues at left back

very odd. If Crane can't get a shout in a game like this then he may as well head to another team.

Green Man
08-10-2016, 01:20 PM

That's the starting team, confirmed on Hibs twitter.

Albanian Hibs
08-10-2016, 01:21 PM
That's the starting team, confirmed on Hibs twitter.

🖒 original post edited

offshorehibby
08-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Might be a diddy cup but as Billy said it's Hibs at ER at 3 on a Saturday

Green Man
08-10-2016, 01:25 PM
🖒 original post edited

:aok:

Itsnoteasy
08-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Spot on think it is a useful fixture to keep players sharp for league games. Might allow a few fringe guys to get a run also. St mirren with new manager will fancy it too

New manager is still in charge at Alloa. His last game for them today.