PDA

View Full Version : Crowd Silence

seanoheimhin
02-10-2016, 03:41 PM
Appreciate I'm gonna get some pelters for this but here goes:

I'm far from writing off the team and I'm fully behind the staff and players to win promotion, but today we were chronic. Call me old-fashioned, but I think a crowd roaring on the team might have pushed them on and given them some much needed urgency. That need was met with almost complete silence during parts of the game.

In my experience, Easter Rd has at the best of times been a quietish stadium with not a lot of singing. I've only been to three home games so far this season, but even on days that we play well and win there is a certain tension and frustration bubbling under the surface that I've no doubt affects the players.

Having been to a fair few stadiums across the country and beyond, many groups of fans get right behind their team if they concede a goal or go down. In my experience of (admittedly not hundreds but certainly dozens) of games at ER, we just don't do that. Why not?!

Interested to hear thoughts?

:flag:

SRHibs
02-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Did you try and start any songs? ;)

You're right though. It was strange today. We were 10 mins late into the ground and never heard a peep from the ground as we were walking round the stadium. Was almost eerily silent!

seanoheimhin
02-10-2016, 03:48 PM
Did you try and start any songs? ;)

You're right though. It was strange today. We were 10 mins late into the ground and never heard a peep from the ground as we were walking round the stadium. Was almost eerily silent!

Haha I hold my hands up and admit I'm not a rabble rouser who's gonna get a whole section going. I always try and be positive when we concede and drown out some of the crushing negativity that surrounds in certain areas of the ground!

Don't really know what solutions there are, just interested to hear what others think.

Itsnoteasy
02-10-2016, 03:54 PM

I'm far from writing off the team and I'm fully behind the staff and players to win promotion, but today we were chronic. Call me old-fashioned, but I think a crowd roaring on the team might have pushed them on and given them some much needed urgency. That need was met with almost complete silence during parts of the game.

In my experience, Easter Rd has at the best of times been a quietish stadium with not a lot of singing. I've only been to three home games so far this season, but even on days that we play well and win there is a certain tension and frustration bubbling under the surface that I've no doubt affects the players.

Having been to a fair few stadiums across the country and beyond, many groups of fans get right behind their team if they concede a goal or go down. In my experience of (admittedly not hundreds but certainly dozens) of games at ER, we just don't do that. Why not?!

It's a two way process. Normally it is the team playing well that gets the crowd going. Same as any ground I have been to & watched on the telly. Not an orchestrated crowd like many teams abroad ie banging drums & waving flags for 90 mins

seanoheimhin
02-10-2016, 03:59 PM
It's a two way process. Normally it is the team playing well that gets the crowd going. Same as any ground I have been to & watched on the telly. Not an orchestrated crowd like many teams abroad ie banging drums & waving flags for 90 mins

Appreciate that, the team bear the ultimate responsibility. But usually there is a focal point in the ground that keeps the momentum and stops utter silence and subsequent tension creeping into the atmosphere. Whether it's a singing section, or whatever. Either way, that tension occurs far too often at ER.

We have a few young lads pitchside that usually do their best, but it's a relatively small group compared to a lot of grounds.

The Green Goblin
02-10-2016, 04:05 PM
This came across on Hibs TV. I wondered if it being 1200 on a Sunday had anything to do with it? :dunno:

PiemanP
02-10-2016, 04:11 PM
There was a lot of noise and encouragement after Bartley got sent off against Ayr. Shortly after we lost two goals.

The young team down the front all on their todd with sound not reverberating around the east doesn't help either...

Jones28
02-10-2016, 04:11 PM
I was hingin so I was quite happy it was moderately quiet 😂

Highland_Hibee
02-10-2016, 04:23 PM
This is exactly the same thought that went through my head. Even when we had players getting into advanced positions early on there was often no sound of urging them on. I almost felt embarrassed to be shouting out, like I was interrupting something. Was the first ever Hibs game my brother has experienced and I doubt he will be rushing back on that whole event today. Strange atmosphere. I'm glad others picked up on it. I knew I wasn't imagining things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

green day
02-10-2016, 04:29 PM

Crowd gets involved when the players give us something. Aberdeen have done pretty well with a generally quiet crowd.

Don't blame the fans for the teams failings please.

seanoheimhin
02-10-2016, 04:33 PM
This is exactly the same thought that went through my head. Even when we had players getting into advanced positions early on there was often no sound of urging them on. I almost felt embarrassed to be shouting out, like I was interrupting something. Was the first ever Hibs game my brother has experienced and I doubt he will be rushing back on that whole event today. Strange atmosphere. I'm glad others picked up on it. I knew I wasn't imagining things.

I've mentioned this on another thread, but as you say I'm tired of bringing friends/family to ER and having to make excuses for others and the general atmosphere. We're supposed to support the club in our own ways, whether that's singing or trying to stay positive.

Respect to people who pay for the ST and go every week, but I don't believe that gives them the right to have an adverse affect on the atmosphere, people's enjoyment of the game, and on the players mentality.

Fair enough if we're being totally pumped, or if we've lost five on the bounce. Not when we're well in, or indeed winning, big games, no matter whether we should be in front or how well we're playing.

seanoheimhin
02-10-2016, 04:36 PM
Crowd gets involved when the players give us something. Aberdeen have done pretty well with a generally quiet crowd.

Don't blame the fans for the teams failings please.

I'm not blaming the fans at all, I've said above that the ultimate responsibility lies with the team and the manager. But in relation to the atmosphere is a two-way street, it's not entirely down to the players to gee up the crowd. It should flow both ways. It's easy to cheer and 'sing when you're winning'. It matters most when you're not.

Highland_Hibee
02-10-2016, 04:56 PM
I've mentioned this on another thread, but as you say I'm tired of bringing friends/family to ER and having to make excuses for others and the general atmosphere. We're supposed to support the club in our own ways, whether that's singing or trying to stay positive.

Respect to people who pay for the ST and go every week, but I don't believe that gives them the right to have an adverse affect on the atmosphere, people's enjoyment of the game, and on the players mentality.

Fair enough if we're being totally pumped, or if we've lost five on the bounce. Not when we're well in, or indeed winning, big games, no matter whether we should be in front or how well we're playing.

Yeah I'm with you. I've always felt as a supporter it's my duty to give the team my support. Each to their own, some are happy with a day out at the football and there is nothing wrong with that.

I'm far from a happy clapper too, I'll speak out if I'm not feeling what we are doing.

Making chat I said to our mate "you hearing Lennon doing his nut in?" He replied "yeah you could hear a pin drop otherwise."

He's been to games with me before so he knows it can be better. My brother like I said has not. He didn't really say anything about the game but then that's a problem in itself. I was at least hoping to hear a "at least the fans gave it a good go" or "Nice ground Easter Road". Nothing and he's a big football fan so he knows how he felt about the game.

Folk maybe forget we aren't all Hibs fanatics in there. Not everyone is going to stick by us artlessly hoofing it about in front of a crowd fit more for a golf tournament.

ancient hibee
02-10-2016, 04:56 PM

What a ridiculous paragraph about season ticket holders.How do you make out that we are guilty of any of these things.

If players can't perform in front of a big crowd whether the crowd is anxious or not they should find another job. Fans should give support to the team all the time not just when they're doing well as you seem to think and particularly when they're going through tough times I don't it's "fair enough"to make things difficult for them.

green&left
02-10-2016, 05:04 PM
Atmospheres pish regardless of wether we're good or poor on the park*

*Pumping hertz or huns excluded

Golden Bear
02-10-2016, 05:06 PM
The lack of goalmouth action on the park has a lot to do with it.

emerald green
02-10-2016, 05:11 PM
It's the fans fault. :rolleyes: It's been a wee while since we've had one of these daft threads. What a load of pish. Some comments are beyond parody.

Highland_Hibee
02-10-2016, 05:27 PM
It's the fans fault. :rolleyes: It's been a wee while since we've had one of these daft threads. What a load of pish. Some comments are beyond parody.

Not a load of pish but folk read what they want to read. You read "it's the fans fault" I read "what can we as fans do to help our cause?" which btw is a healthy topic for discussion. Maybe we COULD help improve the atmosphere at Easter Road? I guess it all just depends on that age old perspective.

jacomo
02-10-2016, 05:29 PM

That is NOT what the OP is saying. Your stock response is the real pish here.

We don't get behind our team as much as some teams do. We're not abnormally quiet, but we're not a very noisy support and home and the negativity is never far from the surface.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that a consistently noisy and supportive crowd can push their team on.

NAE NOOKIE
02-10-2016, 05:51 PM

Eh? ........ I've seen ST holders criticised in the past for allegedly looking down their noses at walk ups ( they don't ) but I've never seen ST holders criticised for failing to back the team and 'spoiling it' for walk ups before ..... that's a new one and bizarre, even for this forum :confused:

That aside I agree about the atmosphere today, it was strangely subdued even after we went one up ... but I do think lunchtime kick offs tend to have that affect, I can rarely remember seeing a match that kicked off between 12 and 1:00pm where the game was great or the atmosphere great either .. the less we have of them the better.

Fogzie
02-10-2016, 06:08 PM

Got to agree. Everyone sits back and expects to be entertained. If it doesn't happen in the first 20 mins ,we go silent. Atmosphere is much better at away games.
It's time we all got behind the team and raise the noise and the tempo.

emerald green
02-10-2016, 06:13 PM
Not a load of pish but folk read what they want to read. You read "it's the fans fault" I read "what can we as fans do to help our cause?" which btw is a healthy topic for discussion. Maybe we COULD help improve the atmosphere at Easter Road? I guess it all just depends on that age old perspective.

Disagree. It is a load of pish. What do you suggest YOU could do to help improve the atmosphere at ER, rather than criticise the long suffering Hibs supporters? You don't say. Lets hear your suggestions please. See also below for more on this topic.

Stop criticising your fellow fans. They deserve better.

That is NOT what the OP is saying. Your stock response is the real pish here.

We don't get behind our team as much as some teams do. We're not abnormally quiet, but we're not a very noisy support and home and the negativity is never far from the surface.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that a consistently noisy and supportive crowd can push their team on.

The bit in bold is more pish. Who exactly are you referring to as "some teams"? Who are these super fans that never criticise their team(s) and roar them on, win lose or draw? Hibs fans generally do get behind our team as much as any other teams supporters in my experience. If the team is playing well and winning the fans respond accordingly. If they are not playing well and losing/drawing it will be the reverse. It's no different at ER than anywhere else that I've ever noticed.

I've been inside Tynecastle, Ibrox and Celtic Park at matches (not always involving Hibs) and at times you could hear a pin drop. Especially when they are losing, and you ought to hear the abuse they give their own players.

Furthermore, for some reason (maybe little or no drink taken?) noon KOs on a Sunday seems to kill the atmosphere stone dead at matches.

Have you forgotten so soon the huge praise the Hibs fans were given across the football spectum (exclude the Ibrox club) for the wonderful backing they gave the team in the Scottish Cup final, and the cup-run up to the final?

Hezbelle
02-10-2016, 06:21 PM
I'm a new season ticket holder in the FF with my sons. The family behind me actually criticise people who shout out positive encouragement whilst giving a running commentary full of observations Captain Obvious would be proud of. Today's highlights was 'we need another goal to win the game'.

The songs and chants never quite make it over to FF and I feel like a bit of a plum joining in when people like the family behind me and so serious and critical. But join in we do.

Also, shoot me now, but can we sing about hibs and not about the manager of another team from a different league? It was relevent, briefly, but it's a bit odd out songs seem to focus on them.

Highland_Hibee
02-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Disagree. It is a load of pish. What do you suggest YOU could do to help improve the atmosphere at ER, rather than criticise the long suffering Hibs supporters? You don't say. Lets here your suggestions please. See also below for more on this topic.

I do my bit mate. I wasn't being overly critical of my fellow "long suffering Hibs supporters" and my suggestion was up for discussion. I never claimed to have the one magic answer.

Pete
02-10-2016, 06:31 PM
Don't believe for a minute that we are quieter than anyone else. Maybe people are just a bit more reserved on a Sunday morning and the flippant comment about hangovers probably has some merit.

Onceinawhile
02-10-2016, 06:54 PM
I'm a new season ticket holder in the FF with my sons. The family behind me actually criticise people who shout out positive encouragement whilst giving a running commentary full of observations Captain Obvious would be proud of. Today's highlights was 'we need another goal to win the game'.

The songs and chants never quite make it over to FF and I feel like a bit of a plum joining in when people like the family behind me and so serious and critical. But join in we do.

Also, shoot me now, but can we sing about hibs and not about the manager of another team from a different league? It was relevent, briefly, but it's a bit odd out songs seem to focus on them.

Ff lower? You quite possibly sit near me. One of the boys was giving Stevenson abuse despite him not playing, usually by overhyping Paul hanlon.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-10-2016, 06:59 PM
Understand the OP but IMO the crowd get the name the 12th man for a reason. The 12th man comes into play when they see the 1 to 11th man giving all they have and the 12th man gives that wee bit extra. Not sure that I have seen the 1 to 11th men stick to their side of the deal and today it was not even close.

B.H.F.C
02-10-2016, 07:02 PM
Not entirely related, but Stokesy was at the game today.

Can't believe they didn't get him out to do the half time draw. That would have woken the place up.

silverhibee
02-10-2016, 07:12 PM
Not entirely related, but Stokesy was at the game today.

Can't believe they didn't get him out to do the half time draw. That would have woken the place up.

Liam could have delivered the half time box, as he was at the game as well.

Highland_Hibee
02-10-2016, 07:17 PM
Ff lower? You quite possibly sit near me. One of the boys was giving Stevenson abuse despite him not playing, usually by overhyping Paul hanlon.

Christ. I have no quarrel with Hanlon's game but a fullback he is not. In before "that's where he started his Hibs career".

Swedish hibee
02-10-2016, 07:31 PM
Was suprisingly quiet on Hibs TV for such a big crowd. The drummer must not have been there, as he/she normally gets the songs going.
Hope they'll be there for the next game and the singing will be back again.

Steve-O
02-10-2016, 09:35 PM
I recall when Mowbray was in charge, there was regular cheering when we went a goal down, because we knew that the team was more than capable of getting back in teh game and possibly winning (which did happen a few times from 1 or 2 down).

Nowadays though, cup final apart, coming back to win seems to be rather irregular at Hibs?

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-10-2016, 10:26 PM
Every time there's a thread like this, there's always the same reaction. People instantly jump on the defensive and say "the players need to give us something to cheer about"

Aye to an extent that's correct whilst I also believe the stadium announcer could get the crowd up for it and the sound system sucks in the east but where's the singing before the game? Where's the noise while the players are in the tunnel? Let's get on the backs of the opposition instead of our own players. I'd honestly hate to be a hibs player when we go a goal behind. The tension is incredible.

I get involved in signing and me and my mate attempt to start some songs but get nowhere. I've been at games where it's taken about 30 mins till you hear a peep out of the drum. If we want teams to fear hibs then that for me starts before the game with the noise. The players then come out and pound the opposition

frazeHFC
03-10-2016, 09:32 AM
Was suprisingly quiet on Hibs TV for such a big crowd. The drummer must not have been there, as he/she normally gets the songs going.
Hope they'll be there for the next game and the singing will be back again.

Shouldn't be down to 1 person among a crowd of 14,500 Hibees to get it going, but as mentioned in general Easter Road is like a morgue unless its a big team visiting.

green day
03-10-2016, 09:52 AM
Shouldn't be down to 1 person among a crowd of 14,500 Hibees to get it going, but as mentioned in general Easter Road is like a morgue unless its a big team visiting.

Good point about the "big team visiting".

Maybe everyone is just bored with this crappy division - I know I am.

Since90+2
03-10-2016, 10:14 AM
The atmosphere was poor and to be honest it generally is apart from games against the bigger sides.

I know its expensive and some dont agree with it but we should look at a safe standing area similar to what Celtic have done. If you had approx 1500 fans together who wanted to sing and add to the atmosphere the place would be transformed.

NAE NOOKIE
03-10-2016, 11:45 AM
The atmosphere was poor and to be honest it generally is apart from games against the bigger sides.

I know its expensive and some dont agree with it but we should look at a safe standing area similar to what Celtic have done. If you had approx 1500 fans together who wanted to sing and add to the atmosphere the place would be transformed.

This has been a long standing ( no pun intended ) debate on here. I think most fans are for this, but the argument remains that Hibs have other things to spend money on. I would however argue that if the atmosphere was better then the players would respond to it and perhaps it would be money worth spending.

One of the things that Hibs made a big play of when the new broom arrived was that even tiny percentages matter ... its practically the mantra of the GB cycling team and that attitude has helped utterly transform them from also rans to a position of dominance in their sport. If evidence showed that having a Pink stripe on their helmets added 10,000th of a second onto their times you can guarantee they would all have one the next day.

In modern football away teams are rarely intimidated by big or noisy supports, in fact conversely the likes of guys who play for Ayr Utd or Raith Rovers are probably quite inspired to be running out in front of 15,000 instead of the usual 2,500 or so at home games.
That's on one side, but having said that every manager they ask about this says a big noisy crowd improves the performance of the home team. Its long past time Hibs had a dedicated standing section in the FF lower ... I love sitting behind the goals, but I would happily move to make it happen. Having a noisy section there would engage the north end of the upper west stand, who usually try to join in anyway, but also the north end of the east if the family section was moved there.

Apart from in big games where the 'singing' section is now rarely engages anybody.

resident_Arab
03-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Atmosphere was flat as a pancake all round from both sets of supporters, our support was asleep, just shows how crap dinner time Sunday kick offs are on the telly

If that game was the Saturday 3pm it would have been far better atmosphere wise, we'd also have had upto double the numbers we brought

Doubt we will get a Sat 3pm in this fixture this season, Friday night should be better though in the next one

Bishop Hibee
03-10-2016, 03:16 PM
Atmosphere was flat as a pancake all round from both sets of supporters, our support was asleep, just shows how crap dinner time Sunday kick offs are on the telly

If that game was the Saturday 3pm it would have been far better atmosphere wise, we'd also have had upto double the numbers we brought

Doubt we will get a Sat 3pm in this fixture this season, Friday night should be better though in the next one

Totally agree. Add in that there were very few chances in the game to get the fans excited and you have a poor atmosphere given the size of the crowd.