PDA

View Full Version : Callum Crane

Unseen work
02-10-2016, 02:13 PM
Imo, poor choice from Lennon not starting him and keeping Hanlon central.

It would provide a better balance to the team, the defence would be more settled.

He is very good going forward and has a decent delivery.

Dashing Bob S
02-10-2016, 02:17 PM
I think Crane could have given the whole team a lift.

JimBHibees
02-10-2016, 02:18 PM
Imo, poor choice from Lennon not starting him and keeping Hanlon central.

It would provide a better balance to the team, the defence would be more settled.

He is very good going forward and has a decent delivery.

Thought the same didn't like the balance and Paul looked like a fish out of water.

DaveF
02-10-2016, 02:23 PM
If the laddie was fit and available then he should be looking at other options to progress his career as it ain't coming here.

The_Horde
02-10-2016, 02:26 PM
I think Crane could have given the whole team a lift.

You've been waiting a long time for that one eh? Came in like a wrecking ball.

woodythehibee
02-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Lennon sees him everyday in training and obviously doesn't think he's good enough yet. Happy to trust his judgement

LithgaeHibby
02-10-2016, 03:06 PM
For whatever reason, Lennon doesn't seem to like the cut of his jib.

B.H.F.C
02-10-2016, 03:20 PM
Lennon sees him everyday in training and obviously doesn't think he's good enough yet. Happy to trust his judgement

He's 20. If he can't get in to the team in the championship, when the guy ahead of him is suspended, then when is he going to be ready?

emerald green
02-10-2016, 03:27 PM

Not good enough to play against what is widely recognised as the worst Dundee United team practically in living memory?

Paul Hanlon is a good footballer, but he's not suited to playing left back. Crane is a left back. Give him a chance to show what he can do.

Poor judgement from Lennon IMHO.

SunshineOnLeith
02-10-2016, 03:36 PM
As others have said, if Lennon didn't give him the nod today, and the lad has any ambition of making it as a professional footballer, he probably needs to start looking for a new club.

ancient hibee
02-10-2016, 03:41 PM
Terrible decision by the manager.If he wanted to play Hanlon the very least he should have done was to play Boyle or Harris in front of him as a winger.Hanlon should have stayed at centre half.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Stevenson not being available turned into a double loss as the manager decided to play another player out of position to accommodate. If he had played another recognised left back in that role I don't think most folk would have complained. Give Crane the remit of tackle and clear and if required play a sweeper to help out.

Big_Franck
02-10-2016, 03:50 PM
We should have signed a left back in the summer. If there was any doubt about it Hanlon showed today that he can't play there. If Crane isn't going to play today he never will.

Ozyhibby
02-10-2016, 04:15 PM
I doubt Crane has a future at Hibs. He's 20 now and is clearly not a trusted deputy. He needs to move on if he wants a career in football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markcrane1970
02-10-2016, 05:21 PM
I reckon Cranes future is elsewhere...not in the team today...not allowed to go out on loan...been told he is the back up left back (clearly not)!!
How bad does the regular LB have to be before Crane gets his chance..maybe after 8 years his face doesn't fit..
I watch the 20s most weeks and he cruises most games..surely if he has weaknesses in his game he should be coached properly to iron them out..i bet Hibs wouldn't let him go without a big developement fee..

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Jones28
02-10-2016, 05:26 PM
Crane was the obvious choice IMO, moving Hanlon across was stupid and unbalanced a fairly settled defence.

greenlex
02-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Could Crane have been injured? Didn't even make the bench which was strange. Anything had happened to Hanlon Forster or McGregor could have left us a bit bare ersed.

DaveF
02-10-2016, 05:37 PM
I reckon Cranes future is elsewhere...not in the team today...not allowed to go out on loan...been told he is the back up left back (clearly not)!!
How bad does the regular LB have to be before Crane gets his chance..maybe after 8 years his face doesn't fit..
I watch the 20s most weeks and he cruises most games..surely if he has weaknesses in his game he should be coached properly to iron them out..i bet Hibs wouldn't let him go without a big developement fee..

Are you related per chance :-)

markcrane1970
02-10-2016, 05:40 PM
Yes

bingo70
02-10-2016, 05:44 PM
Yes

It would be a shame if he was to get any **** from the club because his family members were on here being critical.

I'm not suggesting you stop posting or anything but might be an idea to change your user name?

bigwheel
02-10-2016, 05:49 PM

Perhaps if he hadn't had a poor game against Turff he might have started? Most often a players opportunities are in their own hands...

DaveF
02-10-2016, 05:49 PM
Yes

If he's been told he's backup and then is left out the squad I don't think anyone would blame him or you for being a touch hacked off.

MWHIBBIES
02-10-2016, 06:02 PM
Not good enough to play against what is widely recognised as the worst Dundee United team practically in living memory?

Paul Hanlon is a good footballer, but he's not suited to playing left back. Crane is a left back. Give him a chance to show what he can do.

Poor judgement from Lennon IMHO.Why is that relevant? The worst Dundee United team is still much better than St Mirren/Dumbarton/Morton etc. He is more likely to see games against those teams.

RedHibby
02-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Stevenson and Hanlon are not LB's. Given that LS was originally a midfielder. The last two managers have taken us into a new season without a LB, WTF are we paying them for.

Brightside
02-10-2016, 06:18 PM
Why is that relevant? The worst Dundee United team is still much better than St Mirren/Dumbarton/Morton etc. He is more likely to see games against those teams.

Thats not the case tho..that Utd team is one of the worst teams in the league.

Smartie
02-10-2016, 06:20 PM
Perhaps if he hadn't had a poor game against Turff he might have started? Most often a players opportunities are in their own hands...

He didn't have that bad a game against Turriff and he had a cracking game against Birmingham in the pre-season friendly.

He's got every reason to feel hacked off.

blackpoolhibs
02-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Thats not the case tho..that Utd team is one of the worst teams in the league.

No they are not, they were missing a couple of key players today. They will be challenging for a play off place at worst.

emerald green
02-10-2016, 06:30 PM
Why is that relevant? The worst Dundee United team is still much better than St Mirren/Dumbarton/Morton etc. He is more likely to see games against those teams.

The relevance is as I said. They are not very good. Compared to DU teams of the past, they are rank rotten.

I'm not so sure DU are "much better" than St Mirren/Dumbarton/Morton, having lost matches already this season to both Morton and Dumbarton.

bigwheel
02-10-2016, 07:30 PM
He didn't have that bad a game against Turriff and he had a cracking game against Birmingham in the pre-season friendly.

He's got every reason to feel hacked off.

In my opinion he was poor against Turriff...didn't do his chances any good...he was good against Birmingham, but that was pre season..

Benny Brazil
03-10-2016, 06:43 AM
I think Lennon just went with experience against what is supposed to be our biggest rivals his season - if it had been ayr utd or someone like that I think crane would have played

Speedy
03-10-2016, 07:17 AM
Stevenson and Hanlon are not LB's. Given that LS was originally a midfielder. The last two managers have taken us into a new season without a LB, WTF are we paying them for.

Think we can safely call Stevenson a left back. How many years has he played there now?

J-C
03-10-2016, 07:25 AM

Hanlon started off his career in youth football as an attacking midfielder but is now a CH, so your point is...?

TonyStokeprano
03-10-2016, 07:46 AM
It would be a shame if he was to get any **** from the club because his family members were on here being critical.

I'm not suggesting you stop posting or anything but might be an idea to change your user name?

You reckon young callums that bothered if he gets any ***** from the club? Could be a great career break for him to get released and get a chance to play every week probably for a Hamilton, partick or some other decent premier league side, instead of being 3rd choice left back behind a centre back in a team that's second in the championship.

GreenPJ
03-10-2016, 08:13 AM
Whilst I would have liked to have seen Crane get a chance it was so apparent yet again that whoever plays left back gets no support from the midfield on the left side. McGinn is a great talent but was constantly drifting into the middle (his natural position). There was no outball for Hanlon most of the time (the same applies when Stevenson plays) so we resort to someone trying to go forward who is not naturally comfortable in that attacking role or we hit long balls to Cummings who can't get a piece of paper under him when he jumps.

Still think we played pretty well in the first half though.

JDHibs
03-10-2016, 08:21 AM

I know Mark personally and i know how passionate he is for Callums career at Hibs, he is right to feel aggrieved as Callum will be aswell.

He wasnt allowed out on loan in the summer, even though he wanted it for first team action as he done really well at Berwick last season and got rave reviews, he was told by Lennon that he was Stevensons understudy and back up. Done himself no harm atall against Birmingham and showed he can hold his own, dont know why people are using the Turriff game as a bench mark as the whole team played pretty crap. Yet Stevenson goes out and Lennon alters his defence and moves our best defender out of position which keeps Callum out of the team.

Id be more upset if the player and his family werent aggrieved at that decision if i was Hibs.

JimBHibees
03-10-2016, 08:41 AM
Whilst I would have liked to have seen Crane get a chance it was so apparent yet again that whoever plays left back gets no support from the midfield on the left side. McGinn is a great talent but was constantly drifting into the middle (his natural position). There was no outball for Hanlon most of the time (the same applies when Stevenson plays) so we resort to someone trying to go forward who is not naturally comfortable in that attacking role or we hit long balls to Cummings who can't get a piece of paper under him when he jumps.

Still think we played pretty well in the first half though.

Hanlon's outball on about 5 or 6 occasions was to put a decent ball in the box, something he singularly failed to do and also missed a great chance to score a second goal. He could probably get away with being left back in a flat 442 however his attacking instincts are limited.

JimBHibees
03-10-2016, 08:45 AM
I know Mark personally and i know how passionate he is for Callums career at Hibs, he is right to feel aggrieved as Callum will be aswell.

He wasnt allowed out on loan in the summer, even though he wanted it for first team action as he done really well at Berwick last season and got rave reviews, he was told by Lennon that he was Stevensons understudy and back up. Done himself no harm atall against Birmingham and showed he can hold his own, dont know why people are using the Turriff game as a bench mark as the whole team played pretty crap. Yet Stevenson goes out and Lennon alters his defence and moves our best defender out of position which keeps Callum out of the team.

Id be more upset if the player and his family werent aggrieved at that decision if i was Hibs.

I thought the team played pretty well against Turriff especially first half. I do understand the frustration however a manager also has the right to choose different people based on current form etc. Personally would have liked to have seen Callum given the chance however Neil may have also wanted to give Jordan Forster a run also hence the compromise.

Since90+2
03-10-2016, 08:57 AM
The youth system at the club needs to be looked at as we simply dont produce the players that we were a decade ago. Who was the last player to make it into the first team and become a regular or be sold on for a profit? Its been a massive failure of the club and Hibs will never achieve its potential unless it improves dramactically.

Crane should have played. Hanlon is not a left back and when you are playing the diamond you are essentially asking your full backs to double up as wingers. Crazy decision.