PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Fyvie

Unseen work
02-10-2016, 01:57 PM
I wish we had more players like him.

He demands the ball from his teammates everytime he does not have it and is angry if he doesn't get it.

His match awareness and and knowing his surroundings is fantastic.

He knows when to play either the long or short pass and he speaks to others continuously telling them what to do.

Best player today by a mile

makaveli1875
02-10-2016, 02:00 PM

He demands the ball from his teammates everytime he does not have it and is angry if he doesn't get it.

He knows when to play either the long or short pass and he speaks to others continuously telling them what to do.

not sure i would want too many fraser fyvies in my team , he just runs around like a headless chicken without creating very much and never scores any goals

AgentDaleCooper
02-10-2016, 02:02 PM
not sure i would want too many fraser fyvies in my team , he just runs around like a headless chicken without creating very much and never scores any goals

He had a hand in a pretty important goal in recent history iirc...

Unseen work
02-10-2016, 02:04 PM

If that's your honest opinion of him it's frightening.

He controls every game he plays in, wins a lot of challenges and loose balls in the middle of the park and covers a lot of ground.

He starts every attack we have.

He doesn't go forward to try get goals as he is a holding midfielder.

There are 5 players ahead of him who should he scoring

B.H.F.C
02-10-2016, 02:05 PM

Fyvie, like the rest of our midfield, isnt giving us enough when we have the ball. Too slow and too square. Probably hasn't even had a shot this season.

Yes, he brings good things to the team but he does have the freedom to get forward and should be doing more.

matty_f
02-10-2016, 02:06 PM
If that's your honest opinion of him it's frightening.

He controls every game he plays in, wins a lot of challenges and loose balls in the middle of the park and covers a lot of ground.

He starts every attack we have.

He doesn't go forward to try get goals as he is a holding midfielder.

There are 5 players ahead of him who should he scoring
Thought he was excellent, as well. Cracking player.

green day
02-10-2016, 02:06 PM
Take Fyvie out that midfield and we have no drive at all. He has been our best player for weeks now.

tamig
02-10-2016, 02:07 PM

A very naive view of his role. He's an excellent player and is vital to our team.

BSEJVT
02-10-2016, 02:08 PM
I like Fyvie, but there is a reason why he is with Hibs.

He is barely ahead of Bartley, who is awful, when it comes to picking an incisive pass, neither carry any sort of goal threat either.

If his job is to break a up play and pass easy balls across the midfield or to the full backs, he would probably get 8/10 most weeks.

I had hoped Shinnie might be the player to make these incisive passes, but after a good debut he has been absolutely rank.

Unseen work
02-10-2016, 02:10 PM
Fyvie, like the rest of our midfield, isnt giving us enough when we have the ball. Too slow and too square. Probably hasn't even had a shot this season.

Yes, he brings good things to the team but he does have the freedom to get forward and should be doing more.

I would bet that he does not have the freedom to get forward.

Part of that role is when we are attacking and a full back goes forward is filling in the gap.

We are hit on the counter at the best of times never mind our holding midfielder getting caught up the field, out of position

dastardly8
02-10-2016, 02:11 PM

I think your assessment was of John McGinn today , thank god fuvie was there beside him !!!

SON OF PADDY
02-10-2016, 02:13 PM

Very underrated by our own support unfortunately,for what it's worth I really appreciate having a great player like Fraser. 😋

TheGreenMan
02-10-2016, 02:15 PM
I like Fyvie, but there is a reason why he is with Hibs.

He is barely ahead of Bartley, who is awful, when it comes to picking an incisive pass, neither carry any sort of goal threat either.

If his job is to break a up play and pass easy balls across the midfield or to the full backs, he would probably get 8/10 most weeks.

I had hoped Shinnie might be the player to make these incisive passes, but after a good debut he has been absolutely rank.

Apart from Shinnies incisive pass today of course...

flash
02-10-2016, 02:15 PM

Good grief.

wookie70
02-10-2016, 02:16 PM
Was my man of the match today. Great game awareness and makes good decisions. Some of the decision making from SJM and Dylan was atrocious today. One Fraser Fyvie is fine for me and I really only want one SJM to go with him along two wide midfielder. We are about as poor this year as last with our width and pace out wide being our biggest weakness

B.H.F.C
02-10-2016, 02:26 PM
I would bet that he does not have the freedom to get forward.

Part of that role is when we are attacking and a full back goes forward is filling in the gap.

We are hit on the counter at the best of times never mind our holding midfielder getting caught up the field, out of position

Particularly when Bartley is playing, you're not telling me Fyvie isn't allowed to get forward and get inclvolved? Even if Bartley isn't playing I don't see Fyvie as just sitting and holding. He covers a lot of ground, gets about the pitch and pops up in fairly advanced positions a lot.

For all that is said about pace and width, nobody in the middle of the park really wants to break their neck to get in to the box.

Unseen work
02-10-2016, 02:31 PM
Particularly when Bartley is playing, you're not telling me Fyvie isn't allowed to get forward and get inclvolved? Even if Bartley isn't playing I don't see Fyvie as just sitting and holding. He covers a lot of ground, gets about the pitch and pops up in fairly advanced positions a lot.

For all that is said about pace and width, nobody in the middle of the park really wants to break their neck to get in to the box.

Well if Bartley is playing then fyvie has a different role which would allow him the freedom to get froward.

But Bartley wasn't playing today.

Capt Mainwaring
02-10-2016, 02:33 PM

I think you need to take up another sport to watch sir!

MWHIBBIES
02-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Good lord I hope you arent serious.

Pretty Boy
02-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Fyvie is probably the least of my concerns about the team at the moment.

hibsbollah
02-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Fyvie was very good today.

B.H.F.C
02-10-2016, 02:44 PM
Well if Bartley is playing then fyvie has a different role which would allow him the freedom to get froward.

But Bartley wasn't playing today.

I wasn't aware we were just talking about today? In my original post I mentioned his lack of contribution in an attacking sense in general. Not just based on today's game.

Fyvie obviously plays a slightly different role when Bartley is out the team, but Bartley hardly moves, Fyvie still pops up all over the shop. There is no way he is restricted in terms of not being allowed to get forward, if the chance arises. No goals from a central midfielder in well over a year is poor. What is worse is the complete lack of threat from that area although Fyvie is in no way the only guilty party.

Steve20
02-10-2016, 02:49 PM
Fyvie has been better than Bartley, McGinn and Shinnie recently. Only midfielder that deserves his place in the side still.

Golden Bear
02-10-2016, 02:50 PM
If its necessary to have a Hibs man of the match award today then it had to be Fyvie.

J-C
02-10-2016, 02:52 PM
Done a lot of hard graft today but he all too often goes side or backwards, especially frustrating as we need to be moving forward with pace, I remember all the moaners about KT slowing things down and playing this way, Fyvie isn't any different.

Shrekko
02-10-2016, 03:40 PM
Done a lot of hard graft today but he all too often goes side or backwards, especially frustrating as we need to be moving forward with pace, I remember all the moaners about KT slowing things down and playing this way, Fyvie isn't any different.
Maybe the moaners are just totally clueless? If so, what does it matter?

Heard people coming out the ground slating Fyvie- and for what's it's worth they were definitely clueless.

Stevie Reid
02-10-2016, 03:58 PM
I like Fyvie a lot, but he has a propensity to give the ball away carelessly in bad areas, and he did it again three times today - and a better team could have hurt us because of it.

neil7908
02-10-2016, 04:11 PM
I like Fyvie but sometimes I'm not sure what he adds to the team. He doesn't create or score goals. Is he a better holding midfielder than Bartley? A better passer than Mcgeough?

He's a good player but I just don't see the value he adds to the team at the moment.

Enough said
02-10-2016, 04:14 PM

What a terrible terrible statement ... YAM all over it

Jones28
02-10-2016, 04:15 PM
I like Fyvie a lot, but he has a propensity to give the ball away carelessly in bad areas, and he did it again three times today - and a better team could have hurt us because of it.

McGinn was continually guilty of this today - much more than fyvie

keep the faith
02-10-2016, 04:19 PM
I like Fyvie but sometimes I'm not sure what he adds to the team. He doesn't create or score goals. Is he a better holding midfielder than Bartley? A better passer than Mcgeough?

He's a good player but I just don't see the value he adds to the team at the moment.

Yes to both your questions re barley and McGeouch.

Fyvie is a terrific player who other clubs in the spl would love to have.

Stevie Reid
02-10-2016, 04:21 PM
McGinn was continually guilty of this today - much more than fyvie

Probably agree. Not typical of McGinn though.

makaveli1875
02-10-2016, 05:00 PM
What a terrible terrible statement ... YAM all over it

get a grip of yourself . i dont rate fyvie , or stevenson for that matter so i must be a 'YAM' as you put it . are you the 'YAM' police or have i missed something

MWHIBBIES
02-10-2016, 05:01 PM
Probably agree. Not typical of McGinn though.Or Fyvie. This myth that he gives the ball away consistently is bizarre. He completes twice as many passes as any Hibs player every week.

keep the faith
02-10-2016, 05:12 PM

That's right up there with the most bizarre posts ever on here.
You really need to start watching what fyvie does. Basing him on goals doesn't make sense.

B.H.F.C
02-10-2016, 05:23 PM
That's right up there with the most bizarre posts ever on here.
You really need to start watching what fyvie does. Basing him on goals doesn't make sense.

Of course you can't base things purely on goals. But the complete lack of goals from that area of the pitch (not just Fyvie) is one of the major contributing factors to our current problems. It's not asking too much of players to chip in more than once every year and a bit.

NAE NOOKIE
02-10-2016, 05:35 PM
Fyvie was MOM today and has been one of our better players since the season started. That aside I agree with everybody else who is saying our midfield, including Fyvie, need to score a hell of a lot more goals and try a lot harder to get into the box.

Enough said
02-10-2016, 06:53 PM
get a grip of yourself . i dont rate fyvie , or stevenson for that matter so i must be a 'YAM' as you put it . are you the 'YAM' police or have i missed something
The yam police ha ha that's nearly as good as your original statement ... tell me who do we have that can do a better job than Fraser in that position??? If you attend the games that is....

makaveli1875
02-10-2016, 07:18 PM
The yam police ha ha that's nearly as good as your original statement ... tell me who do we have that can do a better job than Fraser in that position??? If you attend the games that is....

bartley

Enough said
02-10-2016, 07:34 PM
bartley

Oh dear

HibsNutter
02-10-2016, 07:34 PM
Fraser is fabulous, glad we have him. Big fan.

Benny Brazil
02-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Thought Fyvie was the best of the midfielders today - but we dont need him, McGeough and McGinn in there - its like last season, the three of them lacked drive to push us forward - add Shinnie in the mix and we basically have 4 central midfielders.
We still lack width and try to play through the middle too often - same problem for last few years.

Stevie Reid
02-10-2016, 07:54 PM
Or Fyvie. This myth that he gives the ball away consistently is bizarre. He completes twice as many passes as any Hibs player every week.

I didn't say he gives the ball away constantly. I said he has a propensity to give the ball away carelessly in bad areas - usually when possession has turned over and the other team would be vulnerable on the break, but where giving the ball away means that we are automatically exposed due to us rushing out, and the opposition having many players forward.

Sometimes he'll get away with it, like he did in the three times that he did it today - sometimes, like in the 4-2 game at Ibrox last season, just once can be enough to hurt us badly.

As I said before, I like Fyvie a lot, but he could really do wit cutting that out of his game. But he's certainly not the only player in our team who needs to improve.

J-C
02-10-2016, 07:58 PM
I didn't say he gives the ball away constantly. I said he has a propensity to give the ball away carelessly in bad areas.

TBH nearly every player on the park made a terrible pass carelessly, I don't think I've watched a game where so many players passing was as woeful.

Stevie Reid
02-10-2016, 08:04 PM
TBH nearly every player on the park made a terrible pass carelessly, I don't think I've watched a game where so many players passing was as woeful.

Today, absolutely. Fyvie isn't guilty of it often, it's just that when it does happen, it often leaves us extremely exposed and vulnerable.

Brightside
02-10-2016, 08:22 PM
Fyvie was the only midfielder even close to pass marks today.

greenlex
02-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Lost our way last year after Fyvie was injured in Greenock. We are a better side when he plays IMO. Unlucky not to be MOTM today as I thought Keakings after an excellent first half as poor the second. (He wasn't alone). Most disappointed in McGeouch and McGinn today.

Salt N Sauzee
02-10-2016, 09:03 PM

Clueless (poster, not Fyvie.)

Booked4Being-Ugly
02-10-2016, 09:18 PM
Fyvie's becoming the best player at Hibs right now.

An on form John McGinn is untouchable and a joy to watch but FF has been a more consistent performer this season.

Dom'sFirstTouch
02-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Been our best midfielder by a distance this season so far.

Hi Heid Yin
02-10-2016, 09:38 PM
Fyvie would be one of the last players I would consider dropping.
He is industrious and has drive and fight.
Some of his team mates could do with following his example.

O'Rourke3
02-10-2016, 10:04 PM
I didn't say he gives the ball away constantly. I said he has a propensity to give the ball away carelessly in bad areas - usually when possession has turned over and the other team would be vulnerable on the break, but where giving the ball away means that we are automatically exposed due to us rushing out, and the opposition having many players forward.

Sometimes he'll get away with it, like he did in the three times that he did it today - sometimes, like in the 4-2 game at Ibrox last season, just once can be enough to hurt us badly.

As I said before, I like Fyvie a lot, but he could really do wit cutting that out of his game. But he's certainly not the only player in our team who needs to improve.

3 times? One first time pass under hit but that was about it. FF gets abuse for not moving the ball on quickly and often does just that. Gets abuse for holding on too long when generally the correct option.
Fraser was head and shoulders our best player today.

oldbutdim
02-10-2016, 10:28 PM
Clueless (poster, not Fyvie.)

I don't think so.

He's having a great laugh on here with his 'opinions'.

Just a bit of fun.
:agree:

Stevie Reid
02-10-2016, 11:29 PM
3 times? One first time pass under hit but that was about it. FF gets abuse for not moving the ball on quickly and often does just that. Gets abuse for holding on too long when generally the correct option.
Fraser was head and shoulders our best player today.

I don't abuse Fyvie for either. But there were definitely three ocassions today when he gave the ball away under no pressure in bad areas. That's a risk in the position he plays, and I'd like him to cut those mistakes out.

But once again, he's a player that I rate considerably, and I'm glad we have him.

Enough said
03-10-2016, 06:10 AM
Think the op is a bit of an attention seeker with this thread!!!

blackpoolhibs
03-10-2016, 06:32 AM
I cant believe folk are questioning FF, he's the first name on the team sheet for me. He has great fighting quality, and presses the opposition so well and wins the ball back better than anyone else at the club.

He is always available to receive the ball, and is good on the ball. I see folk saying he lost the ball 3 times yesterday, i'd say that was the least of any of our players, and for someone who sees as much of the ball as he does, its bloody good.

Enough said
03-10-2016, 06:36 AM
I cant believe folk are questioning FF, he's the first name on the team sheet for me. He has great fighting quality, and presses the opposition so well and wins the ball back better than anyone else at the club.

He is always available to receive the ball, and is good on the ball. I see folk saying he lost the ball 3 times yesterday, i'd say that was the least of any of our players, and for someone who sees as much of the ball as he does, its bloody good.

100% mate

Jdawg
03-10-2016, 06:57 AM
FF was class, the only problem is that McGinn and McGeouch try and play the same role.

The amount of times FF received the ball and looked for a forward pass and not one player moved into space was ridiculous.

J-C
03-10-2016, 07:33 AM
FF was class, the only problem is that McGinn and McGeouch try and play the same role.

The amount of times FF received the ball and looked for a forward pass and not one player moved into space was ridiculous.

In a nutshell, McGinn and Dylan both drop deep into the space where Fyvie is already as they are all too similar.

GreenOnions
03-10-2016, 08:25 AM
bartley

I like big Marv and would consider him as a starter against teams where we anticipate being under pressure or where the opposition have a particularly big/physical side. He's an important member of the squad.

However, much as he is good at breaking up play, his passing is not that great and you'd only want him passing the ball a couple of metres to someone else who could do that better (i.e. everyone else in the team).

Bearing in mind that our problems are creativity, final ball and goals I really don't think adding a player whose main attributes are defensive addresses any issues we have at all.

I think most supporters as well as both Lennon and Stubbs would choose to start Fraser Fyvie every week. He's a proper footballer.

Stevie Reid
03-10-2016, 09:35 AM

If you're referring to my posts, you've really over simplified my point on him giving the ball away. Very happy we have him, and not in any way saying that he shouldn't be a starter.

greenlex
03-10-2016, 09:13 PM

I watched the whole game tonight and you're right he misplaced passes three times in the whole match. 2 were attempted first time passes forward when the ball was coming to him at speed and the other a long diagonal that the defender managed to get his head on. None of them were in dangerous areas so I'm not sure what game you were watching.

Shrekko
03-10-2016, 09:31 PM

Spot on.

Unfortunately a couple of FF's slack passes have been punished in a couple of high profile games but give me a brave player like him any day. One game where a bad pass cost us was the Sevco home game last season that we won 2-1. He'd had a poorish game overall but in the last few minutes of that same game he was immense when they put us under the cosh.

First name on the team-sheet he surely is, although I'm still mystified why he didn't start at QOTS. He was excellent when he did come on.

Absolutely amazed at how bad some folk seem to think he is!

ancient hibee
03-10-2016, 09:43 PM
To me at the moment he's the only player who looks as if he can grab hold of a game.

MickeyEdwards
03-10-2016, 09:52 PM
Thought he was excellent, as well. Cracking player.

I agree 100% Matty and if we cast our minds back to the last third of last season, we lost a number of matches that we should realistically have won with a few players out injured, the most important of which, IMO, was Fyvie.

When he he returned to the team , we went on to return to the form we were capable of and we all remember how last season ended up!

Scouse Hibee
04-10-2016, 04:59 AM

Sometimes I get the feeling that some folk don't really understand the game and are unable to interpret what they are watching.......this is one of those times.

SRHibs
04-10-2016, 08:41 AM
All 4 of the midfield that played on Sunday would walk into any SPL team outside of the top 3/4.

3pm
04-10-2016, 08:52 AM
I haven't read the thread but offering him a new contract should be a priority.

allezsauzee
04-10-2016, 12:05 PM

It doesn't mean you are a yam, it just suggests you don't know that much about football and that's often coincidental with being a yam.

Jdawg
04-10-2016, 08:33 PM
All 4 of the midfield that played on Sunday would walk into any SPL team outside of the top 3/4.

But noone would play them all in a 442 formation.