PDA

View Full Version : Summer signings

Ozyhibby
02-10-2016, 01:21 PM
Absolute dross.
We are a worse team this season than last. With the money that the fans are putting into the club just now we deserved better than what we got.
January is now crucial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J-C
02-10-2016, 01:23 PM
I was saying at the game that it's hard to believe that's the same team that won the cup, well 90% of it is.

Heisenberg
02-10-2016, 01:34 PM
I was saying at the game that it's hard to believe that's the same team that won the cup, well 90% of it is.

Not really. We are playing the exact same as we were last season and the season before. Slow build up. No pace. Suspect at cross balls. Just pish.

J-C
02-10-2016, 01:43 PM
Not really. We are playing the exact same as we were last season and the season before. Slow build up. No pace. Suspect at cross balls. Just pish.

I was meaning the way they played in the final, this team looks disjointed.

BoomtownHibees
02-10-2016, 01:43 PM
We have been pish since Holt was taken off when we were 1-0 up against Ayr

Highland_Hibee
02-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Harsh to dismiss them all like that when Marciano did no wrong, Graham got limited time on the park and Holt didn't play. I get your frustration though. Shinnie was poor. I thought he looked superb on his debut but I've not seen a performance out of him since.

Ozyhibby
02-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Harsh to dismiss them all like that when Marciano did no wrong, Graham got limited time on the park and Holt didn't play. I get your frustration though. Shinnie was poor. I thought he looked superb on his debut but I've not seen a performance out of him since.

Why are Holt and Graham not starting though?
I can't think of a single Hibs fan that thought we would be starting games with Cummings and Keatings up front this season. We knew we would need better.

Onion
02-10-2016, 01:55 PM

The Hibs team we saw today is just not kitted out to break teams down. Our build up is too slow, our midfield don't commit themselves to forward runs and we're constantly trying to thread balls through 9 defenders - which invariably breaks down. Every team in the league now prepares for that.

Holt gives us a plan B but Lennon has now dropped him, so we're back to the same approach as Stubbs (with all the problems). 2 pts from 9 is poor in this league and many of our key players are just not performing.

bookert
02-10-2016, 01:58 PM
The Hibs team we saw today is just not kitted out to break teams down. Our build up is too slow, our midfield don't commit themselves to forward runs and we're constantly trying to thread balls through 9 defenders - which invariably breaks down. Every team in the league now prepares for that.

Holt gives us a plan B but Lennon has now dropped him, so we're back to the same approach as Stubbs (with all the problems). 2 pts from 9 is poor in this league and many of our key players are just not performing.

This - our midfield players never get beyond the strikers - oh for a Pat McGinlay.

Smartie
02-10-2016, 02:03 PM
This - our midfield players never get beyond the strikers - oh for a Pat McGinlay.

The lethargy of the midfield players was astounding.

You could see Hanlon got pissed off at one point when he got into a very good position down the left and nobody had made the late run into the box.

A Pat McGinlay type is exactly what it looks like we're crying out for. We also look like we're crying our for a target man like Mixu, wingers like Michael O'Neill and Kevin McAllister and a clever, quick striker like Darren Jackson too though. Someone to play passes like Latapy, then a Matty Jack........

Unfortunately I think we're just quite a bit short of quality and are nowhere near where we need to be.

Phil MaGlass
02-10-2016, 02:09 PM
I dont thinkmwere short of quality for this league, its (as I have mentioned on countless threads) pace and urgency. Lennon needs tae kick their erses and kicck them good.

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-10-2016, 02:23 PM
8 games and that's them been branded. Well done sir

Hibs fans ****ing infuriate me sometimes. Do every other club slaughter players the way we do? Even on the Mcginn thread folk are saying it's the worst performance from a hibs player ever potentially.

Precious little souls are hibs fans. No wonder people call the team mentally weak when the fans **** their pants after a poor result or 2.

Logging off now to save any arguments but all I'll say us we have an excellent manager, with an excellent squad. I'll reserve judgement until we've played a few more games

SRHibs
02-10-2016, 02:25 PM
Graham looks like a poor man's Nish.

supermcginn
02-10-2016, 02:39 PM
We needed fast direct players yet signed the complete opposite!

Del Boy
02-10-2016, 02:49 PM
I'll give them all a chance but I couldn't believe we signed Graham - anytime I've seen him play he's been brutal

cabbageandribs1875
02-10-2016, 03:00 PM
I'll give them all a chance but I couldn't believe we signed Graham - anytime I've seen him play he's been brutal

you're not alone

Nakedmanoncrack
02-10-2016, 03:10 PM

Hibs fans ****ing infuriate me sometimes. Do every other club slaughter players the way we do? Even on the Mcginn thread folk are saying it's the worst performance from a hibs player ever potentially.

Precious little souls are hibs fans. No wonder people call the team mentally weak when the fans **** their pants after a poor result or 2.

Logging off now to save any arguments but all I'll say us we have an excellent manager, with an excellent squad. I'll reserve judgement until we've played a few more games

Utter pish, the Hibs support have shown patience beyond anything that could be expected -:maybe somebody needs to spell it out to you that this is our THIRD consecutive season outside (the weakest ever) top league. Nobody is being branded, but results have not been good enough so far. It's the attitude of those happy to accept mediocrity, refusing to acknowledge the crisis we were (and still are) in that led us to this point.

SRHibs
02-10-2016, 03:12 PM
I like the look of Marciano. The communication between him and the back 4 needs to improve, but he's got the look of a good keeper. Need to watch it again but it looked like he had no chance for their goal.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-10-2016, 03:18 PM
I like the look of Marciano. The communication between him and the back 4 needs to improve, but he's got the look of a good keeper. Need to watch it again but it looked like he had no chance for their goal.

I was sitting near the other end so need to see it again to see if he by making an effort he'd have had any chance - bit tbh I can't recall him making a save yet. Certainly nothing to suggest he's an improvement on either of last season's GKs.

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-10-2016, 03:27 PM
Utter pish, the Hibs support have shown patience beyond anything that could be expected -:maybe somebody needs to spell it out to you that this is our THIRD consecutive season outside (the weakest ever) top league. Nobody is being branded, but results have not been good enough so far. It's the attitude of those happy to accept mediocrity, refusing to acknowledge the crisis we were (and still are) in that led us to this point.

Away and lie in your *****. Do you not think there are circumstances that's led to us being in our third year in this division? Season 1. 8 players contracted and club in disarray. New manager and time to blend led to us failing to get promoted. Second season we done somehing the best hibs teams of the last 100 years couldn't do so ultimately the league form took a hit so don't come at me wi the pish that the fans have been patient. We're 2 months in to the new season and there's thread after thread moaning about this player and moaning about that player. Tactics. Manager. Surprised the length of the grass hasn't been commented on.

We'll win this league, by some distance. I've no doubt about that.

scoopyboy
02-10-2016, 03:29 PM
Why are Holt and Graham not starting though?
I can't think of a single Hibs fan that thought we would be starting games with Cummings and Keatings up front this season. We knew we would need better.

Coz they're pish.

You told us that in the first post on this thread and now you're wondering why they aren't starting.

seanoheimhin
02-10-2016, 03:30 PM

No, others clubs don't in my experience. Not all, but a very large minority of hibs fans are the most negative *******s I've ever come across in football. I love hibs and the guys I watch hibs with, but some of the people who go to Easter Rd to do nothing more than moan are the bane of my ******* life

Eyrie
02-10-2016, 03:32 PM
Away and lie in your *****. Do you not think there are circumstances that's led to us being in our third year in this division? Season 1. 8 players contracted and club in disarray. New manager and time to blend led to us failing to get promoted. Second season we done somehing the best hibs teams of the last 100 years couldn't do so ultimately the league form took a hit so don't come at me wi the pish that the fans have been patient. We're 2 months in to the new season and there's thread after thread moaning about this player and moaning about that player. Tactics. Manager. Surprised the length of the grass hasn't been commented on.

I've been patient for decades, but a third season in the second tier is still something new so I'll be critical of the reasons why that has happened and of why it could continue for a fourth season.

I enjoyed winning the Scottish Cup (let me type that again, because it still feels good) I enjoyed winning the Scottish Cup but that was last season and achieved against teams that largely wanted to play football. It did not provide a blueprint on how to win routine league matches against teams that have realised how to stop us and it does not excuse the failure of successive managers to resolve that problem.

We won't win the league by some distance until we solve that problem, so you'll just have to settle for a season of fans complaining about Hibs making it hard for ourselves and hoping that we win the league by 3-4 points.

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-10-2016, 03:45 PM
No, others clubs don't in my experience. Not all, but a very large minority of hibs fans are the most negative *******s I've ever come across in football. I love hibs and the guys I watch hibs with, but some of the people who go to Easter Rd to do nothing more than moan are the bane of my ******* life

Absolutely spot on. I took my gf to her first game a few weeks ago and warned her about the fans. She thought I was winding her up but soon as we walked out she said "I see what you mean"

Don't get me wrong I'm hardly thrilled about the division we're in or our form. I'm just not suicidal about it

keep the faith
02-10-2016, 04:14 PM
Absolutely spot on. I took my gf to her first game a few weeks ago and warned her about the fans. She thought I was winding her up but soon as we walked out she said "I see what you mean"

Don't get me wrong I'm hardly thrilled about the division we're in or our form. I'm just not suicidal about it

I'm loving seeing more and more coming forward to tackle the negativity on here and in the stands. There are already usual suspects jumping in today on the first blip. Calling our new signing disasters. Doubting the manager. Slagging off our players.

It's time to put things in perspective and try and back the team rather than spending unthinkable amounts of time posting thousands upon thousands of posts complaining.

This club is in the best shape for many years. We have the best squad in the division and it will gel soon. Back the team.

seanoheimhin
02-10-2016, 04:29 PM
I'm loving seeing more and more coming forward to tackle the negativity on here and in the stands. There are already usual suspects jumping in today on the first blip. Calling our new signing disasters. Doubting the manager. Slagging off our players.

It's time to put things in perspective and try and back the team rather than spending unthinkable amounts of time posting thousands upon thousands of posts complaining.

This club is in the best shape for many years. We have the best squad in the division and it will gel soon. Back the team.

Never thought about it in terms of speaking out about it, but you're right. I'm fed up of bringing friends to ER and having to make allowances and apologies for some people who are constantly negative. We're supposed to support the club, respect to people who pay for the ST and go every week, but I actually don't believe that gives them the right to be negative if they want.

It has an adverse affect on the atmosphere, people's enjoyment of the game, and on the players too.

ancient hibee
02-10-2016, 05:03 PM
Never thought about it in terms of speaking out about it, but you're right. I'm fed up of bringing friends to ER and having to make allowances and apologies for some people who are constantly negative. We're supposed to support the club, respect to people who pay for the ST and go every week, but I actually don't believe that gives them the right to be negative if they want.

It has an adverse affect on the atmosphere, people's enjoyment of the game, and on the players too.

Absolute tosh like like the other thread.Why should you apologise for other people they're entitled to be negative if they want.What gives you "the right" to think otherwise?

keep the faith
02-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Absolute tosh like like the other thread.Why should you apologise for other people they're entitled to be negative if they want.What gives you "the right" to think otherwise?

Of course people have the right to be negative, but do they honestly think that helps both in the short and long term??

Ozyhibby
02-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Wish someone had came on and said I was wrong rather than moaning about negativity.

Feed McGraw
02-10-2016, 05:21 PM
No, others clubs don't in my experience. Not all, but a very large minority of hibs fans are the most negative *******s I've ever come across in football. I love hibs and the guys I watch hibs with, but some of the people who go to Easter Rd to do nothing more than moan are the bane of my ******* life Other clubs don`t ????? Really ? Mate, that is just not true - football fans are generally much the same the world over, especially when it comes to having a moan when things aren`t going well.

CRAZYHIBBY
02-10-2016, 05:22 PM
I cant understand why we signed holt

emerald green
02-10-2016, 05:38 PM

What "experience" would that be? I've watched football matches all over the UK and several countries in Europe (not involving Hibs) and believe me football fans are the same the world over.

If you think Hibs fans are "negative" (whatever that's actually supposed to mean) when things are not going well for their team I suggest you watch football in South America. Then you will learn what "negative" really means.

Smartie
02-10-2016, 06:00 PM
I cant understand why we signed holt

The last game I was at before today was the Morton game.

Holt was outstanding. He was decent at home against Brondby and outstanding away.

I can't understand why we're not playing him.

Eyrie
02-10-2016, 06:06 PM
The last game I was at before today was the Morton game.

Holt was outstanding. He was decent at home against Brondby and outstanding away.

I can't understand why we're not playing him.

I was at the Ayr game and I can understand why.

I'm critical of Lennon for the way we're playing, but I'll give him credit for trying to change that by starting a different type of striker since Holt wasn't getting the service he needs from wide areas.

keep the faith
02-10-2016, 06:11 PM
Wish someone had came on and said I was wrong rather than moaning about negativity.

Your wrong.

Smartie
02-10-2016, 06:18 PM
I was at the Ayr game and I can understand why.

I'm critical of Lennon for the way we're playing, but I'll give him credit for trying to change that by starting a different type of striker since Holt wasn't getting the service he needs from wide areas.

Fair enough.

I also thought we played a few too many long, straight hoofs from back to front today. That's fine if you've got Holt or Graham up there but Keatings and Cummings were making nothing of the punts, much as you'd expect.

I'm not a hoofball fan, but if you're going to do it, at least do it with the right personnel and with the right approach.

Eyrie
02-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Fair enough.

I also thought we played a few too many long, straight hoofs from back to front today. That's fine if you've got Holt or Graham up there but Keatings and Cummings were making nothing of the punts, much as you'd expect.

I'm not a hoofball fan, but if you're going to do it, at least do it with the right personnel and with the right approach.

Agreed.

The Keatings/Cummings pairing needs the ball played in quickly either behind the defence or to feet, not hoofed in their general direction.

Brooster
02-10-2016, 06:37 PM
Poor performance today, each and every player needs to step it up, threes no place to hide. But....the boooing at the end was embarrassing, almost as embarrassing as folk not even going to the game then coming on here to give them pelters. Saying that....I tend to agree about Graham lol.

Highland_Hibee
02-10-2016, 07:01 PM
Poor performance today, each and every player needs to step it up, threes no place to hide. But....the boooing at the end was embarrassing, almost as embarrassing as folk not even going to the game then coming on here to give them pelters. Saying that....I tend to agree about Graham lol.

At least the players who came to applaud quickly got a positive reception back. I liked to think most of the booing was aimed towards some of the decisions not given today. What's that they say about ignorance?

Famous Fiver
02-10-2016, 07:15 PM
In response to the welter of negative criticism of the summer signings just think - we could have signed Joey Barton!!

Now, there's a real howler!!!

Give Lennon a break ffs.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-10-2016, 07:58 PM

No thanks I'll leave the swimming in urine to you.
Always excuses, at what point will you admit we are in a desperate situation (despite 21.05.16 which apparently is the latest excuse) ?

Rather than resort to abusing people why not explain why you "have no doubt" that we will win the league by some distance, there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest that. In terms of first choice personnel we are weaker than a year ago.

We are still favourites, which is reasonable given the drop in standard of opponents now that Hearts & Sevco have been promoted, but it's going to be a struggle unless something changes dramatically.

Dom'sFirstTouch
02-10-2016, 09:31 PM
I think it's a bit early to write off all our summer signings as utter dross.

I'd agree with the more general point though. None of them (so far anyway) seem to address the specific and glaring weaknesses we have, so it would be difficult to argue that they've improved us much.

Personally I still think Holt and Shinnie will do well for us this season.

Heedersnvolleys
02-10-2016, 09:57 PM
I don't want to speak for the OP but the impression I got from reading his post and its my impression as well is that Lennon did not want quantity but quality from his summer signings as we only needed to add a few but I was expecting clear first picks. Not on the bench!!!!!

I think we all thought Shinnie would be better than what we already had and in a position we needed but he has been poor in the as few games and unfortunately looks a bit light weight easily pushed off the ball.

And all those who said we did not require another LB I think today answered that question.

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-10-2016, 09:59 PM
No thanks I'll leave the swimming in urine to you.
Always excuses, at what point will you admit we are in a desperate situation (despite 21.05.16 which apparently is the latest excuse) ?

Rather than resort to abusing people why not explain why you "have no doubt" that we will win the league by some distance, there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest that. In terms of first choice personnel we are weaker than a year ago.

We are still favourites, which is reasonable given the drop in standard of opponents now that Hearts & Sevco have been promoted, but it's going to be a struggle unless something changes dramatically.

Maybe its time for you to get dressed and lay off the drugs? Where about are my "excuses" exactly?

Let's break it right down then. We are 7 points better off than our first year in this division and we are 1 point better off than last season at this stage. So straight away, this campaign is more successful already. An unexpected loss and 2 draws and the knives are out.

I'm missing the part where we're in a "desperate" situation? We got relegated because of about 7 years of mismanagement. It took Alan Stubbs 2 years go rectify that. Would you honestly say winning promotion to the "premiership" would have been a better achievement last season?

In terms of personnel, are we really weaker? Liam Henderson, in the league scored what? About 5 goals? Are you saying Shinnie can't equal this? Stokesy/Dagnall and Farid must have got about 10 goals between them. Again are you saying Holt and Graham won't contribute this amount? Marciano has replaced a goalie everybody thought they were better than. Is Gunnarson much better than Forster?

From the games I've attended this season, we are creating more chances and scoring more goals. As the season progresses the players will adapt to what NL is demanding from them. Just because we've not done what man city have done down south doesn't mean we are making progress.

You see things differently then fair enough. I've backed up my claims so you can either do the same or ignore me. I'm comfortable with the players and management team. We'll win the league. I've said by double digits since July. I'm not changing that prediction

Cameron1875
02-10-2016, 10:23 PM
I don't understand why we signed Brian Graham.

I watch him 'play' and just can't believe what I'm seeing. Makes me worry about Lennon's eye for a player if he is bringing in players like that!

The_Horde
03-10-2016, 07:24 AM
I don't understand why we signed Brian Graham.

I watch him 'play' and just can't believe what I'm seeing. Makes me worry about Lennon's eye for a player if he is bringing in players like that!

He'll be brilliant when/if we're battering teams and all he has to do is get on the end of a cross.

But when it comes to helping us create play, I don't think he's what we need. That said, don't think he done a lot wrong yesterday and won a lot of his aerial duels. It's the creativity that's lacking.

tamig
03-10-2016, 07:29 AM

Well said.

The Leith Dutch
03-10-2016, 07:37 AM

This sums it up (though I'd possibly disagree with us being pish having seen us under Calderwood and Butcher :) )

The slow build up and lack of pace is further emphasised by having no one who can shoot from distance.

Teams know that once they get us parked up in that 25 - 30 yard arc we don't have much we can do other than hope for that very occasional ball slipped through so they can pack the box.

The Leith Dutch
03-10-2016, 07:45 AM
Agreed.

The Keatings/Cummings pairing needs the ball played in quickly either behind the defence or to feet, not hoofed in their general direction.

That was quite bizarre - any one of their defenders looked to be as tall as Keatings and Cummings together and we were battering high balls to them. Presumably attempting to play it over the top? If not, properly mental.

I'm assuming the former because for large parts of the game the midfield 4 were way too far back from the strikers which I can only assume was to cover if Utd won the headers.

A strange gameplan either way - if I'm playing balls over the top I'd want Boyle on every time.

The Leith Dutch
03-10-2016, 07:56 AM
Let's break it right down then. We are 7 points better off than our first year in this division and we are 1 point better off than last season at this stage. So straight away, this campaign is more successful already. An unexpected loss and 2 draws and the knives are out.

What a lot of people are seeing is the exact same weaknesses that we've seen the last two seasons:
We dominate games but despite creating chances we don't score enough goals which leads to us shipping points when we concede daft goals.

You mention the unexpected loss and 2 draws but these are typical of results we've had the last two seasons and, to be honest, some of the wins in the first 5 games could very easily have been drawn.

We're continually in a pattern of 10-20 shots on goal, 5-10 of them on target and only coming away with 1 goal.

For what it's worth I don't think we're pish, I think we will win the league by a handful of points and I think the club is in a far better overall position. I do however think that seeing the exact same problems on the park for a third season on the bounce is fair game for comment on a Hibs forum.