PDA

View Full Version : Laurie Reilly Place

monktonharp
01-10-2016, 09:58 PM
I was at the function in the Hibernian supporter's club last night and mentioned the new street named after Laurie . It was an aulder guy I spoke to but he had no Idea that there was such a place. I then told him it was less than 800 yds, from the sunnyside club on the other side of the railway. wonder how many fans actually know of the new street? Access is by the Butterfly Way. also they have built a small bridge (for vehicles) over the railway which is parralell to the Bothwell bridge . there is also a footpath, which brings you from the back of Sainsbury's, or in fact from the "hoppy" pub down to the West stand of the stadium. I was doing a delivery to the street but eventual found it after some confusion.

northstandhibby
01-10-2016, 10:52 PM
I was at the function in the Hibernian supporter's club last night and mentioned the new street named after Laurie . It was an aulder guy I spoke to but he had no Idea that there was such a place. I then told him it was less than 800 yds, from the sunnyside club on the other side of the railway. wonder how many fans actually know of the new street? Access is by the Butterfly Way. also they have built a small bridge (for vehicles) over the railway which is parralell to the Bothwell bridge . there is also a footpath, which brings you from the back of Sainsbury's, or in fact from the "hoppy" pub down to the West stand of the stadium. I was doing a delivery to the street but eventual found it after some confusion.

I often drive down that way to visit my relative who is in a nursing home quite near there. I had no idea of the new street name.

Googled it and it turns out a Councillor Alex Lunn campaigned for it and Mr Reilly's widow Iris is delighted by it.

:aok:

www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/laurie-reilly-s-widow-delighted-by-street-name-1-3416633

matty_f
02-10-2016, 01:40 AM
I often drive down that way to visit my relative who is in a nursing home quite near there. I had no idea of the new street name.

Googled it and it turns out a Councillor Alex Lunn campaigned for it and Mr Reilly's widow Iris is delighted by it.

:aok:

www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/laurie-reilly-s-widow-delighted-by-street-name-1-3416633

I used to work beside Alex Lunn. He's a massive Jambo! Good to see him being this though.

BroxburnHibee
02-10-2016, 02:30 AM
I got a fare there the other night.

I was like 'where the foo* is that' :greengrin

Sammy7nil
02-10-2016, 07:40 AM
I hate to be pedantic but should it not be Lawrie?

cabbageandribs1875
02-10-2016, 08:34 AM
I hate to be pedantic but should it not be Lawrie?

yes, and it is

Billy McKirdy
02-10-2016, 08:40 AM
Instead of some obscure hard to find street, I would have been happier if an existing street leading towards the ground (Hawkhill Avenue/Albion Road?) had been renamed in his honour.

1875STEVE
02-10-2016, 08:46 AM
I used to work beside Alex Lunn. He's a massive Jambo! Good to see him being this though.

You a baker??? His family used to run one in the Inch.

He sure is.

I was at school with him, and grew up in the same area.

He's sound as (for a yam!)

Galahibby
02-10-2016, 09:38 AM
Bobby J has a street in Selkirk too :aok:

matty_f
03-10-2016, 02:18 PM

He sure is.

He's sound as (for a yam!)

No, I worked with him at HSBC years ago. (assuming it's the same Councillor Alex Lunn, I can't imagine there are that many of them!)

Bishop Hibee
03-10-2016, 03:12 PM
Wife's pal just moved to a town house there. I told her she had the most prestigious address in Edinburgh!

Interesting to hear you can walk through from Sainsburys to the stadium.

monktonharp
04-10-2016, 01:43 AM

He sure is.

He's sound as (for a yam!)Lunn's Buns, has a certain (dough)ring to it

Scott Allan Key
04-10-2016, 07:47 AM
Wife's pal just moved to a town house there. I told her she had the most prestigious address in Edinburgh!

Interesting to hear you can walk through from Sainsburys to the stadium.

Interesting, from a parking perspective.

It'd. been difficult to change a present street name from a logistic perspective for the present occupiers. I'd love my street to be called 'Two nil and you ****ed it up Place' but I fear the Jambo families opposite and above would object.

Alex Trager
04-10-2016, 09:56 AM
Instead of some obscure hard to find street, I would have been happier if an existing street leading towards the ground (Hawkhill Avenue/Albion Road?) had been renamed in his honour.

I'd normally agree with you.

And I was holding on to this until I had moved but I have a house there.

You can imagine my absolutely confusion and then sheer delight one Saturday morning when I had been out the night before and looked at paperwork I had not yet seen, which revealed my address to be Laurie Reilly Place.

I went nuts. :)

hibee_girl
05-10-2016, 11:53 AM
Just took a walk round there with the kids, looks pretty smart.

Also handy to know there's a quicker way to sainsburys :greengrin

monktonharp
06-10-2016, 12:39 AM
It does look pretty smart. If I was a young guy/family looking at new places , that area looks the business. lots still to be released by the looks of it.

The Harp
06-10-2016, 06:56 AM
Bobby J has a street in Selkirk too :aok:

Yeah, what an address to have: Bobby Johnstone Green.
Top marks to whoever on the council came up with that idea