PDA

View Full Version : Minutes applause

tonyhib7
01-10-2016, 07:33 PM
A fellow football supporter has died today on his way to support his team as we do on a regular basis.

A minutes appulase at the start game is the least we can do as it could have been one of our own.

Since90+2
01-10-2016, 07:35 PM
A fellow football supporter has died today on his way to support his team as we do on a regular basis.

A minutes appulase at the start game is the least we can do as it could have been one of our own.

A minutes applause is not the correct thing to do when it's in respect of a tragedy.

It should be a minutes silence.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-10-2016, 07:36 PM
A minutes silence is the right thing to do.

CropleyWasGod
01-10-2016, 07:41 PM
My worry is that a minute's silence would be spoiled by some ignorant half wit.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Golden Bear
01-10-2016, 07:43 PM
Don't want to appear harsh but this is a difficult one. There are probably football supporters who are killed in car crashes or suffer heart attacks on their way to their respective games each week so we've got to draw a line somewhere.

Nevertheless I'm not unsympathetic to this particular tragedy.

tonyhib7
01-10-2016, 07:43 PM
Ok minutes silence, someone has lost there life today on there way to support there team as I stated it could have been one of our own let's show our respect in some way.

DaveF
01-10-2016, 07:57 PM
No thanks.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-10-2016, 08:06 PM
Don't want to appear harsh but this is a difficult one. There are probably football supporters who are killed in car crashes or suffer heart attacks on their way to their respective games each week so we've got to draw a line somewhere.

Nevertheless I'm not unsympathetic to this particular tragedy.

Its a fair point, did we have a minutes silence for the boy that died of a heart attack on the way home from Hampden? If it goes ahead I would have no problem observing it tomorrow though.

Just Alf
01-10-2016, 08:08 PM
nice sentiment and I feel for the families involved..... however, a minutes silence would never happen successfully and end up with us getting slated in the press etc and as for the applause, tomorrow feels too soon for that and in any case I cant help feeling that some of the more twisted elements out there would try to portray it as us celebrating a "Hun death".... for those reasons I personally feel we should let it slide by.

01-10-2016, 08:19 PM
nice sentiment and I feel for the families involved..... however, a minutes silence would never happen successfully and end up with us getting slated in the press etc and as for the applause, tomorrow feels too soon for that and in any case I cant help feeling that some of the more twisted elements out there would try to portray it as us celebrating a "Hun death".... for those reasons I personally feel we should let it slide by.

Agree. So sad what has happened and total respect from me though. So tragic and full condolences and sympathies to the poor family who is grieving their loved one tonight.

Sir David Gray
01-10-2016, 08:26 PM
A minute's applause is completely inappropriate to mark the death of a relatively young man who has been killed in a road accident.

If anything, it should be a minute's silence and that will never happen for reasons already stated.

saltandsauce
01-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Damned if we do damned if we don't is what I'm thinking

Onceinawhile
01-10-2016, 08:33 PM
Damned if we do damned if we don't is what I'm thinking

Disagree. Why would we be damned if we don't? I don't expect every game tomorrow to have anything.

Rangers should have a minutes silence before their next game, I don't see why anyone else should.

Broken Gnome
01-10-2016, 08:34 PM
Announcer passes on condolences from the club prior to kick off.

Simple. We don't get pelters for not giving a minute's tribute I'm assuming.

bigstu
01-10-2016, 08:34 PM
We should certainly pay our respects for this sad event in some way & at the same time potentially go some way to repairing relations between the 2 clubs

Ozyhibby
01-10-2016, 08:36 PM
One of these days a real club legend is going to pass away and all we are going to be able to do for him is the same as we do every week for some random whose death was reported on the news or was mentioned on Hibs.net.
They have become meaningless empty gestures. There is no reflection whatsoever.
Most times they start and people start to join in while not even knowing why or who it's for. You can hear people asking around you at the game and rarely do you hear an answer that clarifies beyond a vague description. It's really sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nakedmanoncrack
01-10-2016, 08:36 PM
Won't happen, and nor should it.

cabbageandribs1875
01-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Disagree. Why would we be damned if we don't? I don't expect every game tomorrow to have anything.

Rangers should have a minutes silence before their next game, I don't see why anyone else should.

exactly

lugz
01-10-2016, 08:39 PM
The club has tweeted about it and paid their respect I think that's where we should leave it.

A minute silence tomorrow is just asking for trouble, every fan base has their idiots.

Nakedmanoncrack
01-10-2016, 08:42 PM
One of these days a real club legend is going to pass away and all we are going to be able to do for him is the same as we do every week for some random whose death was reported on the news or was mentioned on Hibs.net.
Most times they start and people start to join in while not even knowing why or who it's for. You can hear people asking around you at the game and rarely do you hear an answer that clarifies beyond a vague description. It's really sad.

Spot on. :agree:

calumhibee1
01-10-2016, 08:47 PM
Absolutely no way should we be having a minutes applause.

Velma Dinkley
01-10-2016, 08:50 PM
I'm sure his friends and family will give him a suitable send off. A very sad turn of events.

brianmc
01-10-2016, 08:54 PM
I agree with others who have already posted: these kind of gestures are in danger of losing their meaningfulness if there's one every week.
As I've also posted in another thread my thoughts go out to all the rangers folks involved in today's incident.
Don't think it's up to Hibs to try to make some matchday gesture about this tragic event though. We should pass on our condolences then let the rangers people grieve in peace.

I think matchday organised tributes should be restricted to legends of the Club and no body/one else.

green day
01-10-2016, 08:59 PM
If the club think it's appropriate, I would hope our fans would respect it - regardless of recent events with that club, someone died too early today.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-10-2016, 09:02 PM
The club has tweeted about it and paid their respect I think that's where we should leave it.

A minute silence tomorrow is just asking for trouble, every fan base has their idiots.

If the club have made a statement and confirmed our position then that's where it is should be left.

01-10-2016, 09:05 PM
The club have tweeted respects on behalf of everyone at Hibernian FC. Lets leave it at that.

monktonharp
01-10-2016, 09:16 PM
If the club think it's appropriate, I would hope our fans would respect it - regardless of recent events with that club, someone died too early today.without fans, there is no club. the fans are the club in essence. our fans would not show disrespect for this situation but should not be instructed as such by the "club".

WhileTheChief..
01-10-2016, 09:17 PM

:top marks Agreed. Said similar a few weeks back. It's pretty much every game now and on one occasion there were 3 requests for one match.

The whole thing has been devalued.

SunshineOnLeith
01-10-2016, 09:27 PM
Applause is completely inappropriate. A minute's applause is, or at least supposed to be, for celebrating a life rather than mourning a passing. Without wishing to sound cold, none of us know anything about the Rangers fan who died other than one characteristic which we all share with him, we're football fans.

His death is a tragedy and if it is to be marked it should be with a minute's silence and reflection.

Simply using applause as a means to drown out idiots isn't good enough. If anyone is really that backwards that they'd boo or otherwise disrupt a minute's silence for a football fan dying, simply because that fan wore blue rather than green, then they deserve to stick out like a sore thumb when they do it, and to suffer the extremely public shaming which ought to come their way.

northstandhibby
01-10-2016, 09:34 PM
Applause is completely inappropriate. A minute's applause is, or at least supposed to be, for celebrating a life rather than mourning a passing. Without wishing to sound cold, none of us know anything about the Rangers fan who died other than one characteristic which we all share with him, we're football fans.

His death is a tragedy and if it is to be marked it should be with a minute's silence and reflection.

Simply using applause as a means to drown out idiots isn't good enough. If anyone is really that backwards that they'd boo or otherwise disrupt a minute's silence for a football fan dying, simply because that fan wore blue rather than green, then they deserve to stick out like a sore thumb when they do it, and to suffer the extremely public shaming which ought to come their way.

:top marks

GGTTH

Golden Bear
01-10-2016, 09:43 PM

Excellent post.

Andy74
01-10-2016, 09:50 PM

Good post but I will also say what some others might be thinking.

Your post is spot on about football fans all over the world, however, there will be some unease I suspect that quite a large percentage of fans of this particular club represent things that a lot of us simply can't reconcile ourselves with. It's a tragic event but doesn't necessarily mean we have to mark it.

PolmontHibby
01-10-2016, 09:56 PM
I agree with others who have already posted: these kind of gestures are in danger of losing their meaningfulness if there's one every week.
As I've also posted in another thread my thoughts go out to all the rangers folks involved in today's incident.
Don't think it's up to Hibs to try to make some matchday gesture about this tragic event though. We should pass on our condolences then let the rangers people grieve in peace.

I think matchday organised tributes should be restricted to legends of the Club and no body/one else.

Agree. I do read hibs.net etc and usually know why there is a tribute but now always. Others I go With frequently mention do not have a clue why applauding. While do not want to disrespect anyone who has requested such tributes, legends only for me.

SON OF PADDY
01-10-2016, 09:58 PM
Announcer passes on condolences from the club prior to kick off.

Simple. We don't get pelters for not giving a minute's tribute I'm assuming.

I'm with you on this one.

SunshineOnLeith
01-10-2016, 10:19 PM
Good post but I will also say what some others might be thinking.

Your post is spot on about football fans all over the world, however, there will be some unease I suspect that quite a large percentage of fans of this particular club represent things that a lot of us simply can't reconcile ourselves with. It's a tragic event but doesn't necessarily mean we have to mark it.

I should say I don't really have a strong opinion either way over whether we should have a minute's silence or not. Just that it should definitely not be a minute's applause. I'm not going to the game so it makes no odds to me.

On the point you raise though, here is the sum total of what I know about the man who has died today: His name was Ryan Baird, and he supported Rangers.

I'm not going to prejudge him as representing anything I dislike about 'Rangers fans' any more than I would immediately assume a Hibs fan who died stood for all the same things I do. Even if I did, no characteristic I would attribute to 'Rangers fans' as a collective group would make one of their number dying on their way to or from a football match any less tragic.

Mibbes Aye
01-10-2016, 10:23 PM
I should say I don't really have a strong opinion either way over whether we should have a minute's silence or not. Just that it should definitely not be a minute's applause. I'm not going to the game so it makes no odds to me.

On the point you raise though, here is the sum total of what I know about the man who has died today: His name was Ryan Baird, and he supported Rangers.

I'm not going to prejudge him as representing anything I dislike about 'Rangers fans' any more than I would immediately assume a Hibs fan who died stood for all the same things I do. Even if I did, no characteristic I would attribute to 'Rangers fans' as a collective group would make one of their number dying on their way to or from a football match any less tragic.

Your last two posts on this thread have been great to read and I couldn't agree more.

Glad you took the time to articulate your view and put it online for others to see, it was well worth it :aok:

lucky
01-10-2016, 10:26 PM

100% correct a Scottish football fan died on his way to a game on a supporters bus

Andy74
01-10-2016, 10:48 PM

Social media being what it is I'm now aware of the guy. Yes it's tragic, no I would not be comfortable with having to show any more formal respects.

FranckSuzy
01-10-2016, 10:54 PM
Your last two posts on this thread have been great to read and I couldn't agree more.

Glad you took the time to articulate your view and put it online for others to see, it was well worth it :aok:

:agree: :top marks

Ardenttwo
01-10-2016, 10:55 PM
:top marks Agreed. Said similar a few weeks back. It's pretty much every game now and on one occasion there were 3 requests for one match.

The whole thing has been devalued.

Totally agree. Although it's a tragedy and our thoughts are with his family how many fans have lost their lives throught a season going to football matches and none are less sad than any other but never get the publicity as yesterday's bus crash. We could be starting a precedent where we will be doing something every weekend

monktonharp
01-10-2016, 10:55 PM
have a look at Nith Valley Loyal RSC's site, then decide what you'd like tomorrow. Sanqhar and Kirkonnell are similar to a wee mining village I was brought up in, but we did not have the descisive splits.

Andy74
01-10-2016, 11:01 PM
have a look at Nith Valley Loyal RSC's site, then decide what you'd like tomorrow. Sanqhar and Kirkonnell are similar to a wee mining village I was brought up in, but we did not have the descisive splits.

I'm a great believer that what you put out there in public on social media and the like is your choice and that reflects on you when you are here or when you are gone. I'm not one that thinks that someone automatically gains respect by dying, tragically or otherwise.

I'm sure you can all see the same stuff I can and I'm sorry but I'd be pretty unhappy if we had anything tomorrow to mark this. There's a lot of views I don't agree with but would respect but there are some that are unacceptable in any sense. I'll leave it there.

monktonharp
01-10-2016, 11:07 PM
Andy, I've only suggest that folk can look. I have my own thoughts, and they may be similar to yours.

monktonharp
01-10-2016, 11:08 PM
there is an auld Ayrshire sayin' though , and I cant remember who said it :wink: A man's a man fur aw that.

northstandhibby
01-10-2016, 11:10 PM
I'm a great believer that what you put out there in public on social media and the like is your choice and that reflects on you when you are here or when you are gone. I'm not one that thinks that someone automatically gains respect by dying, tragically or otherwise.

I'm sure you can all see the same stuff I can and I'm sorry but I'd be pretty unhappy if we had anything tomorrow to mark this. There's a lot of views I don't agree with but would respect but there are some that are unacceptable in any sense. I'll leave it there.

What a load of keech.

It is what marks us out as human beings being able to show compassion and empathy for a fellow human being tragically killed.

I for one would gladly show a mark of respect to a fellow football supporter passing in such circumstances.

GGTTH

Andy74
01-10-2016, 11:16 PM
Andy, I've only suggest that folk can look. I have my own thoughts, and they may be similar to yours.

Sorry I quoted you but my post wasn't aimed at you. My point was I think the same as yours. I'm sorry to raise it in connection to a tragic event but in life it seems the guy had some extreme views I would take much issue with and I would in the circumstances be uncomfortable with our club doing anything tomorrow.

Andy74
01-10-2016, 11:20 PM
What a load of keech.

It is what marks us out as human beings being able to show compassion and empathy for a fellow human being tragically killed.

I for one would gladly show a mark of respect to a fellow football supporter passing in such circumstances.

GGTTH

See my response to another poster. Personally I can't show respect to someone who has posted some of the stuff he has in the past. I can be specific but I'd sense that probably wouldn't be welcome so I will do as I meant to do earlier and bow out.

Pete
02-10-2016, 03:23 AM
We should certainly pay our respects for this sad event in some way & at the same time potentially go some way to repairing relations between the 2 clubs

I don't think we should have any silence or applause at the game tomorrow but you make a good point about relations that need repairing. If the cup final happened the other way around I would be absolutely fuming so I can understand their thought process.

A simple gesture like a wreath of flowers delivered to the Nith Valley RSC or even Rangers themselves by hibs or a branch would mean far more than 30 seconds of confusion.

Nameless
02-10-2016, 06:05 AM
Everyone gets canonized after their death, regardless of the quality of human they were. It would be sycophantic to have a collective "fan gesture".

Betty Boop
02-10-2016, 06:12 AM
We can't have a minute's silence for a fellow football fan, because he supports Rangers ? Really ? What happened to Hibs class ?

Keith_M
02-10-2016, 06:25 AM
I appreciate the sentiment but also think a minute's applause is inappropriate.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-10-2016, 06:30 AM
We can't have a minute's silence for a fellow football fan, because he supports Rangers ? Really ? What happened to Hibs class ?

Nothing to do with the club he supported, or even his extreme views, it's simply not appropriate for the reasons already stated, to be having tributes every other week for every person who dies, sadly people die in RTAs every day. He had no connection to either of the club's playing today it's ridiculous for people to be pressurised into a false tribute in the name of "Hibs class".

Nameless
02-10-2016, 06:32 AM
If you want to stand and have a moment of quiet reflection on the fragility of life, NOBODY could/should/would stop that. Your profound grief is a personal matter, and how you choose to deal with your grief should never be dictated to you.

I love the implication that people who question this utterly empty gesture, do so because it involves a fan of a rival club. I feel no more, or less empathy because a football fan was involved - that's akin to suggesting electricians should mark the passing of fellow electricians, because they share a tenuous commonality.

Keith_M
02-10-2016, 06:35 AM

I just did that and I think it was a bad idea, because their Facebook Site showed everything that is vile about those who follow the 'True Rangers Traditions' (their words, not mine)

I think it's best to put that aside and think of the dead and injured as merely fellow football fans.

Pretty Boy
02-10-2016, 06:35 AM
Not for me. Inapporpriate and unneccesary.

I'd say the same if it was a Celtic, Hearts or Elgin City fan as well.

hibsbollah
02-10-2016, 06:40 AM
There will be a substantial minority's of the The Rangers FC/internet troll/daily record hack community for whom 'minutes silence/applause' gives an opportunity for mock indignation at what we as a club do or don't do, and has nothing to do with genuine grief, reflections on life or the surviving relatives' pain.

Nakedmanoncrack
02-10-2016, 07:02 AM
Almost exactly 24 years ago (29 Sept 1992) 2 Hibs fans tragically died enroute to a game - there was (rightly) no suggestion of tributes at any other games, this is a nonsense simple as that.

scoopyboy
02-10-2016, 07:11 AM
Almost exactly 24 years ago (29 Sept 1992) 2 Hibs fans tragically died enroute to a game - there was (rightly) no suggestion of tributes at any other games, this is a nonsense simple as that.

Anderlecht away?

Keith_M
02-10-2016, 07:13 AM
Anderlecht away?

I might be wrong but I think he's talking about the lack of tributes at non Hibs matches.

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-10-2016, 07:49 AM
Tin hat on.

Seriously. Do you think they would have a minutes applause or silence if it was one of our supporters?

Think before you jump on me.

Keith_M
02-10-2016, 08:03 AM
Tin hat on.

Seriously. Do you think they would have a minutes applause or silence if it was one of our supporters?

While I disagree with a minutes applause, I think the decision should be ours, and not based on the warped views of supporters of T'Rangers. I refuse to stoop to their level.

I'm happy to say that, going by the other thread reporting the incident, lots of Hibs Fans have risen above everything else and shown their real humanity.

lugz
02-10-2016, 08:04 AM
Tin hat on.

Of course they wouldn't and neither would celtic, hearts, Aberdeen etc.

magpie1892
02-10-2016, 08:09 AM
Anderlecht away?

Yes, on the train to London with the old door locks...

Nakedmanoncrack
02-10-2016, 08:13 AM
Anderlecht away?

Correct, the 24 year anniversary was a couple of days ago.
There was a silence pre-match at our game in Brussels, but in those days there was no suggestion that it would be appropriate at any other game.
These sort of tributes were rare, and therefore actually meant something back then.

SkintHibby
02-10-2016, 08:14 AM
I think we should extend a hand of friendship towards them after the cup final and offering a minutes silence today is a fitting way to do it.

Andy74
02-10-2016, 08:20 AM
While I disagree with a minutes applause, I think the decision should be ours, and not based on the warped views of supporters of T'Rangers. I refuse to stoop to their level.

I'm happy to say that, going by the other thread reporting the incident, lots of Hibs Fans have risen above everything else and shown their real humanity.

I'm fairly sure most are unaware about the individual.

As you still refer to humanity can you honestly tell me that I should take some time to show respect to the death of someone who amongst other things has posted celebrating the deaths of innocent men, women and children due to them being Catholics and suggesting that asylum seekers at Calais should be burned to death. Not reposting or innocently sharing something but actually personally expressing these views.

I'd be pretty disgusted if we went ahead with anything today.

This is the danger of getting involved in pushing for tributes for people we know nothing about.

Carheenlea
02-10-2016, 08:20 AM

Needed said :agree:

An official statement offering condolences to the bereaved family and good wishes to the injured. Anything more is just faux grief.

WhileTheChief..
02-10-2016, 08:30 AM

Agree 100%. The guy held some absolutely vile views and I want our club to have nothing to do with it.

magpie1892
02-10-2016, 08:36 AM
Agree 100%. The guy held some absolutely vile views and I want our club to have nothing to do with it.

Neat summary, and I'm out too.

scoopyboy
02-10-2016, 08:37 AM

As you still refer to humanity can you honestly tell me that I should take some time to show respect to the death of someone who amongst other things has posted celebrating the deaths of innocent men, women and children due to them being Catholics and suggesting that asylum seekers at Calais should be burned to death. Not reposting or innocently sharing something but actually personally expressing these views.

This is the danger of getting involved in pushing for tributes for people we know nothing about.

I was unaware Andy, thanks for posting that.

Makes my mind up.

Itsnoteasy
02-10-2016, 08:55 AM
I think we should extend a hand of friendship towards them after the cup final and offering a minutes silence today is a fitting way to do it.

So it has taken the death of someone to extend a hand of friendship. Na no thanks. Remember were the pantomime baddies for everything that happened that day. Certainly not Hibs Class.

Smartie
02-10-2016, 09:06 AM

Sometimes it is good to be the bigger man.

Everybody's got views that others might find objectionable.

I find it hard to believe that people find it so hard to button their lip for a minute for somebody who at the end of the day, was a football fan going to watch their team.

Bostonhibby
02-10-2016, 09:14 AM
Yep, I do regret a fan dying and the accident happening, that's the human factor for me.

I can identify with most fans of football teams and it's generally the only thing or the main thing we have in common.

Respect for me comes from what you know of them in life and your own values so on this one I can see where Andy74 and others of a similar mind are coming from.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Hibby70
02-10-2016, 09:18 AM
I worked hard during the week and have the usual stresses of family life to contend with.

Going to the football is my escape from it all. I don't see why I should have to spend any part of it showing faux grief mourning the passing of someone who I didn't know (and glad I never did going by what I've heard about him).

Getting a bit fed up with football having to host these things when it never happens at any other form of entertainment. Its getting out of hand.

lugz
02-10-2016, 09:19 AM

I had to have a look on social media to see what you were talking about and totally agree, we shouldn't be having one anyway but after seeing what I've saw I'm even more against it.

heretoday
02-10-2016, 09:21 AM
Let's not do it. I'm sick of these empty gestures.

Mr White
02-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Despite what the victim of this accident may or may not have posted on social media, it's maybe worth remembering that there were 36 other people on board the bus and 2 are seriously ill in hospital afaik. I understand that people feel it's inappropriate for a minutes applause. It's equally inappropriate to pick apart a man's character a few hours after he's passed away imo.

HappyHanlon
02-10-2016, 09:26 AM

By all means a tragedy but nothing to do with Hibs so no thanks.

magpie1892
02-10-2016, 09:26 AM
Despite what the victim of this accident may or may not have posted on social media, it's maybe worth remembering that there were 36 other people on board the bus and 2 are seriously ill in hospital afaik. I understand that people feel it's inappropriate for a minutes applause. It's equally inappropriate to pick apart a man's character a few hours after he's passed away imo.

...someone forced him to post that the people at the 'jungle' should be burned alive?

It's not really picking 'apart a man's character' when he's put such revolting views into the public domain.

His family have my sympathies. Time to move on.

Mr White
02-10-2016, 09:29 AM
...someone forced him to post that the people at the 'jungle' should be burned alive?

No of course not. It's just not relevant imo.

magpie1892
02-10-2016, 09:33 AM
No of course not. It's just not relevant imo.

Fair enough. We'll agree to differ on this one.

givescotlandfreedom
02-10-2016, 10:06 AM

It's not really picking 'apart a man's character' when he's put such revolting views into the public domain.

His family have my sympathies. Time to move on.

I've since seen the vile poison he's posted. Definitely no applause from me though if people choose to have a silence then I will be quiet for a minute.

HNA8
02-10-2016, 10:08 AM
Thread closed.