PDA

View Full Version : Superstars

Viva_Palmeiras
01-10-2016, 09:27 AM
Probably lost to those not around in the 70/80s

Imagine the scene as part of preseason and to add an edge to training players players don 70s gear and compete in events similar to superstars...

http://youtu.be/mlQRlp4hTEE

Fantasy aside I always thought there should be a SPFL (or whatever brand it is now) fastest man. I remember from my American Football phase Darryl Green being the quickest man over 60/100 yards many years running (and that was with full padding and helmet) dunno if the event was televised. Why not have a prestige title within the club? Didn't Yogi claim to be able to bench press the most?

Scouse Hibee
01-10-2016, 09:32 AM
Loved Superstars, memories of Brian Jacks, Keegan falling of his bike and many more.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-10-2016, 09:35 AM
Loved Superstars, memories of Brian Jack, Keegan falling of his bike and many more.

Jacks was a machine on the dips, squats most things of endurance. Immortalised in a video game too ;) - a poor man's Daley Thompson? ;)

O'Rourke3
01-10-2016, 09:55 AM
Loved Superstars - even think Alan Rough was on a domestic heat at one time and finished last.... It got great when it went international and you had (names escape me), Dutch Hockey players and Swedish High Jumpers make GB "Athletes" look like the old fat guy in your team that can't run anymore but had a trial once and still has a perm.....

Best think I saw for years in a similar vein was an extreme endurance test called Hercules, which was intended to be a modern take on the Tasks of Hercules. Eventually won by a British Biathlon Athlete who even got hospitailised about 6 days in but came back. BBC4 gem from about 10 years ago. Never repeated.

Hamish
01-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Someone should also bring back Quizball. For anyone under 40 this was a game on BBC where 4 team members tried to score goals by answering questions.

GreenLake
01-10-2016, 11:11 AM
Jacks was a machine on the dips, squats most things of endurance. Immortalised in a video game too ;) - a poor man's Daley Thompson? ;)

John Collins would have hammered Jacks. :greengrin

Sammy7nil
01-10-2016, 11:29 AM
Loved Superstars - even think Alan Rough was on a domestic heat at one time and finished last.... It got great when it went international and you had (names escape me), Dutch Hockey players and Swedish High Jumpers make GB "Athletes" look like the old fat guy in your team that can't run anymore but had a trial once and still has a perm.....

Best think I saw for years in a similar vein was an extreme endurance test called Hercules, which was intended to be a modern take on the Tasks of Hercules. Eventually won by a British Biathlon Athlete who even got hospitailised about 6 days in but came back. BBC4 gem from about 10 years ago. Never repeated.

Most footballers where shown up to be very unfit

Roxyhibee
01-10-2016, 03:16 PM
Most footballers where shown up to be very unfit

They really were.! I didn't want it to be so, but compared to rugby players, boxers, martial arts, etc they were struggling..

I remember Joe Bugner (who just looked like a big lump of meat to me in my young years) taking part in the press up thing where you brought your feet up to your chest and back as rapid as possible over a marked white - and he did literally dozens more than some footballer 'athlete' like Stan Bowles and the rest of the them, who all collapsed, writhing after the 2 minute time, and he just stood up and looked down at them all..

Was great tv though.!

Scouse Hibee
01-10-2016, 06:07 PM
They really were.! I didn't want it to be so, but compared to rugby players, boxers, martial arts, etc they were struggling..

I remember Joe Bugner (who just looked like a big lump of meat to me in my young years) taking part in the press up thing where you brought your feet up to your chest and back as rapid as possible over a marked white - and he did literally dozens more than some footballer 'athlete' like Stan Bowles and the rest of the them, who all collapsed, writhing after the 2 minute time, and he just stood up and looked down at them all..

Was great tv though.!

Squat thrusts.

Iggy Pope
01-10-2016, 06:13 PM
Loved Superstars, memories of Brian Jacks, Keegan falling of his bike and many more.

I remember watching when Keegan fell off the bike and it looked excruciating. And he got up IIRC to finish and get points on the board. It was some show. Hard to imagine the fannydancers of today taking part.

Killiehibbie
01-10-2016, 06:19 PM
Probably lost to those not around in the 70/80s

Imagine the scene as part of preseason and to add an edge to training players players don 70s gear and compete in events similar to superstars...

http://youtu.be/mlQRlp4hTEE

Fantasy aside I always thought there should be a SPFL (or whatever brand it is now) fastest man. I remember from my American Football phase Darryl Green being the quickest man over 60/100 yards many years running (and that was with full padding and helmet) dunno if the event was televised. Why not have a prestige title within the club? Didn't Yogi claim to be able to bench press the most?
The NFL have their annual challenge for college players looking to go pro. One of the tests is a 225lb bench press challenge to see who can do the most reps, don't think Yogi would've beat these guys.

ancient hibee
01-10-2016, 06:21 PM
I think Malcolm Macdonald was about the best of the footballers.What was shameful was many of the participants were amateurs or as near as made no difference compared to the footballers.

Scouse Hibee
01-10-2016, 06:24 PM
I remember watching when Keegan fell off the bike and it looked excruciating. And he got up IIRC to finish and get points on the board. It was some show. Hard to imagine the fannydancers of today taking part.

Yes although footballers were nowhere near as fit as the other contestants, Keegan's spill on the bike would have resulted in a stretcher for today's lot.

Iggy Pope
01-10-2016, 06:29 PM
Yes although footballers were nowhere near as fit as the other contestants, Keegan's spill on the bike would have resulted in a stretcher for today's lot.

The man was a competitor, no doubt. I'm no Liverpool fan but shirts off with Billy Bremner springs to mind.

Peevemor
01-10-2016, 07:08 PM
The first game at ER after Roughie's appearance saw him welcomed by the Hibs fans singing - "Who's a f***ing, who's a f***ing, who's a f***ing superstar...