Hibbyradge
29-09-2016, 09:29 PM
Something about giving dodgy advice...

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-09-2016, 09:31 PM
Not exactly a big name.

monktonharp
29-09-2016, 09:35 PM
not a big name, but a name nonetheless. Fitba' is riddled wi' it! It seems like any agent, or ex-player connected with the game is as dodgy as a nine bob note unless he gets a good job on a football tv programme.

Hibbyradge
29-09-2016, 09:45 PM
Not exactly a big name.

That's ok then.😉

I posted partly because he's been linked with the Hibs job in the past, but corruption is rife, big names or not.

SkintHibby
29-09-2016, 10:00 PM
Where there's money there's corruption and football nowadays is rotten to the core. Let's not pretend otherwise.

monktonharp
29-09-2016, 10:01 PM
Where there's money there's corruption and football nowadays is rotten to the core. Let's not pretend otherwise.:top marks

Jonnyboy
29-09-2016, 10:02 PM
Not exactly a big name.

Nor was the Barnsley coach. Money is the root of all evil in football, it seems

Spike Mandela
29-09-2016, 10:07 PM
Wish the Telegraph would shine it's spotlight on the cesspit that is the Scottish game and it's governance.

Sir David Gray
29-09-2016, 10:25 PM
Not exactly a big name.

He's the assistant manager at one of the top clubs in England so he's absolutely a big name.

Jim44
29-09-2016, 10:32 PM
Where there's money there's corruption and football nowadays is rotten to the core. Let's not pretend otherwise.

I've said it in another thread that there's too much money in sport and the depth of corruption hasn't even been mildly disturbed yet. In football there's top executives like Blatter and Platini raking in millions, the present gang of managers and owners filling their boots and players involved in match fixing and gambling. The game is in danger of imploding. Anyone thinking otherwise is deluded.

brianmc
29-09-2016, 10:34 PM
Black's coached/managed or been assistant at: Motherwell, Celtic, Birmingham, Sunderland, Blackburn, Wigan, Rotherham, Aston Villa and Southampton.
So whilst he may not be "a big name" he certainly is a major figure on the cash coaching merry-go-round.

johnbc70
29-09-2016, 11:20 PM
Been going on for years, just the sums are bigger now.

Brian Clough loved a bung, Teddy Sheringhams move from Forest to Spurs was only approved when Clough got a brown bag of money from El Tel.

Wilson
30-09-2016, 01:12 AM
Not exactly a big name.

9 letters.

Forza Fred
30-09-2016, 01:46 AM
Been going on for years, just the sums are bigger now.

Brian Clough loved a bung, Teddy Sheringhams move from Forest to Spurs was only approved when Clough got a brown bag of money from El Tel.

I reckon most clubs would have had a manager who has transgressed at least once.....

Haymaker
30-09-2016, 01:51 AM
When you look at some of the dross we've signed in the last 10 years I wouldn't be surprised if one or two ex Hibs managers are exposed!

Just Jimmy
30-09-2016, 06:45 AM
I'm hoping beyond hope colin calderwood is mentioned at some point.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jacomo
30-09-2016, 07:09 AM
I've said it in another thread that there's too much money in sport and the depth of corruption hasn't even been mildly disturbed yet. In football there's top executives like Blatter and Platini raking in millions, the present gang of managers and owners filling their boots and players involved in match fixing and gambling. The game is in danger of imploding. Anyone thinking otherwise is deluded.

Interesting analysis in the Guardian suggested that folk like Big Sam felt resentful that they had missed out on the big money during their playing days, so feel 'entitled' to rinse as much cash out of the game as possible, seemingly by any means necessary.

Pete
30-09-2016, 07:26 AM
Interesting analysis in the Guardian suggested that folk like Big Sam felt resentful that they had missed out on the big money during their playing days, so feel 'entitled' to rinse as much cash out of the game as possible, seemingly by any means necessary.

Part of me doesn't really blame them for doing so.

Yorkshire HFC
30-09-2016, 07:33 AM
Something about giving dodgy advice...I don't really see that this is a big story - he's said something that he probably shouldn't have - but so what? What has he done wrong? I'm getting a bit bored of these Daily Telegraph stories.

jacomo
30-09-2016, 07:37 AM
Part of me doesn't really blame them for doing so.

Well I do, although totally understand the corrupting influence of money.

From the same article: Chris Sutton was apparently on £10k a week at Blackburn in 1994 - and former players were thinking he had hit the jackpot.

By 2001, Sol Campbell was on £100k a week at Arsenal.

MB62
30-09-2016, 08:07 AM
Wish the Telegraph would shine it's spotlight on the cesspit that is the Scottish game and it's governance.

Probably plenty to investigate up here too but they maybe don't sell enough newspapers up here to bother about it.

jacomo
30-09-2016, 08:13 AM
Probably plenty to investigate up here too but they maybe don't sell enough newspapers up here to bother about it.

:agree:

The Telegraph is basically a cheap tabloid in broadsheet form these days. They've sacked a load of journalists and are solely motivated by commercial concerns.

I do wonder if the BBC might do some digging on dodgy Dave King though. Their relationship with the current regime is already bad, and the hollow promises about 'over investment' are ripe for scrutiny.

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-09-2016, 08:13 AM
He's the assistant manager at one of the top clubs in England so he's absolutely a big name.

Not really the point I was making. When the story broke did it not say that eight current managers were implicated? If that was correct then I am wondering exactly how this story is going to fully play out. A lot of it will be editorial strategy but after Sam Allardyce it could be that the story has already peaked in terms of headlines and its time for the Daily Telegraph to hand the files over to the FA and let them do the round up.

J-C
30-09-2016, 08:21 AM
Someone posting on FB that Twitter has started blocking this but these are the 8 names being bandied around.

Eric Black
Harry Radknapp
David Moyes
Ryan Giggs
Steve Bruce
Alan Pardew
Mark Hughes
Tony Pullis

Just Jimmy
30-09-2016, 09:19 AM
Someone posting on FB that Twitter has started blocking this but these are the 8 names being bandied around.

Eric Black
Harry Radknapp
David Moyes
Ryan Giggs
Steve Bruce
Alan Pardew
Mark Hughes
Tony Pullis
None of them would surprise me at all.

I have to say that morals just don't exist in football or in sport at all tbh. These implicated will be back soon enough.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

BSEJVT
30-09-2016, 09:39 AM
Whilst none of the names surprise me in the slightest, I am not sure that Giggs would ever have been able to bring sufficient influence to bear to be a valid candidate (at least in so far as taking transfer bungs is concerned)

Kojock
30-09-2016, 09:55 AM

Eric Black
Harry Radknapp
David Moyes
Ryan Giggs
Steve Bruce
Alan Pardew
Mark Hughes
Tony Pullis

On dangerous grounds there, naming people without any foundation.

jacomo
30-09-2016, 10:55 AM

While I can certainly believe some of those names, it just looks like a list of the usual suspects rather than genuine info.

jacomo
30-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Whilst none of the names surprise me in the slightest, I am not sure that Giggs would ever have been able to bring sufficient influence to bear to be a valid candidate (at least in so far as taking transfer bungs is concerned)

And never subject of a transfer during his playing career.

WhileTheChief..
30-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Anyone thinking otherwise is deluded.

Aye ok then, don't agree with you and I'm deluded?

When was the last time there was even an allegation of match fixing or doping or similar in the SPFL?

Never in my life time as far as I'm aware.

Sure there's things to be concerned with but you seem to prophesise the end of the game at every opportunity. Lighten up.

Peevemor
30-09-2016, 11:12 AM
From what I've seen so far, the Telegraph's sting hasn't really worked very well. The people that have been filmed have spoken about what goes on, but have not done anything illegal (or against FA rules). Black appears to speak about coaches who'll take a couple of grand for giving someone a nod re. specific players. OK, this is against the rules, but it's not really that shocking - and it's definitely not going to bring the game to it's knees.

There's been dodgy stuff going on for years in football - we all know that, but I'm already getting bored by the Telegraph thing.

Peevemor
30-09-2016, 11:17 AM

When was the last time there was even an allegation of match fixing or doping or similar in the SPFL?

Sure there's things to be concerned with but you seem to prophesise the end of the game at every opportunity. Lighten up.

This is quite a good read.

http://www.scottishsupporters.net/match-fixing-in-scottish-football/

The Scottish Football Association today launched a whistleblowing hotline designed to help eradicate corruption from the game. The ‘Keep It Clean’ campaign is designed to help Scottish football “stay one step ahead of the growing threat of match-fixing”. The hotline is open to anyone within the sport in Scotland who may have knowledge of corrupt practice within football; players, coaches, officials etc.

The issue of match-fixing in professional football has plagued the sport for decades. Stories of players, referees and officials willing to accept a variety of bribes in return for affecting the outcome of matches are not uncommon and range from allegations relating to single matches to entire tournaments; from hearsay to full convictions.

Late 2013 saw match and spot-fixing creep back into the conscience of professional football in the UK to a significant extent, with the arrests of six individuals in relation to offences carried out in League One matches and below. Such an instance so far up the English league pyramid has caused great concern within professional football, but it should be remembered that this is not the first or even most serious occurrence of an attempt to influence results or incidents on a football field.

Match-fixing in British football actually has a rich history, dating back over one hundred years. One of Britain’s most talented players of that generation, the former Manchester United and City forward Billy Meredith, was found guilty of attempted bribery on the final match day of the 1904/05 season whilst at City. Meredith was suspended for one season by the Football Association and later admitted his crime.

The 1964 British betting scandal is perhaps the most high profile example of an extensive and systematic match-fixing syndicate on these shores. Former Plymouth Argyle and St Johnstone player Jimmy Gauld was sentenced to four years imprisonment for his role in the fixing and subsequent widespread betting on of matches in English league football. Thirty-three players were prosecuted, with ten eventually jailed for offences relating to this period, including then England international, Tony Kay.

As recently as 2008 and 2011 we have seen player indiscretions relating to match-fixing or betting in British football. In 2008, five players were charged with betting on a match they were involved in between Accrington Stanley and Bury FC, whilst in 2011 ten individuals were arrested in connection with betting patterns relating to the sending off of then Motherwell FC midfielder, Steve Jennings, although the case against the player was dropped.

Spot-fixing may be a greater concern to sporting and government authorities than anything else; attempting to influence a single incident in a match – a red card, throw in, corner etc. presents much fewer obstacles for any one individual or syndicate to navigate past. Suspicious patterns throughout a ninety-minute period would be much easier for the authorities to notice rather than a mistimed tackle or an over hit pass. Having said this however, issues of spot-fixing would not be directly linked to legal betting markets. Betting websites in this country will tend to have a maximum pay-out limit on bets relating to occurrences such as a player being issued a card; SkyBet for example, set their limit at £1000 pay-out for yellow card bets; hardly an amount of money that would tempt a corrupt better.

Where the threat to Scottish football lies within this minefield is a difficult question to assess. The sport in Scotland isn’t afforded the same amount of scrutiny that their cross-border neighbours are, or many other leagues in world football for that matter. Eastern Asia has long been rife with illegal betting syndicates preying on local leagues that are starved of interest due to the fanfare surrounding the English Premier League and La Liga BBVA. This month, Hong Kong’s Independent Commission Against Corruption announced the arrest of nine individuals – including professional players – after allegations of ‘bribery in rigging the results of football matches involving a local football club’. The Hong Kong Football Association has confirmed that an investigation is currently underway. Could Scotland potentially fall foul to a similar threat due to their modest footballing stature?

According to some, it already has. Former Queen’s Park and Clyde player, Gordon Parks, made allegations in August of last year that several lower league matches in Scotland had predetermined outcomes, with players betting against themselves to lose and reaping the rewards. Considering the paltry salaries that the majority of lower league players are one – many as part-timers – it isn’t difficult to take such claims seriously. David Brand, the former SFA Security and Integrity Officer is another who is greatly concerned with the prospect of match fixing in Scottish football. He cites the recent arrests in English football; including the claim by one individual that they had influence within Scottish football to corrupt results and on-pitch incidents. Brand, who only recently left his post, is a strong advocate for a proactive attitude within Scottish football towards tackling match-fixing and the need to accept such a problem as a contemporary issue for the sport.

Fortunately for Scottish football, there have been no proven cases of match-fixing or corruption of its kind as of yet. Unlike other European countries of similar footballing stature, such as Turkey and Greece, Scottish football has yet to suffer from a player or club being prosecuted for said crimes. However, this should serve as little comfort to Scotland’s football and crime authorities. There is no country in world football that is immune to such attempts at player and official exploitation. A zero-tolerance policy as a foundation, before any instances can manifest themselves has to be the attitude of the SFA and SPFL. Scottish football has enough on its plate with financial mismanagement, involvement clubs and a weak national team to afford taking any chances with an issue as serious as match fixing.

robinp
30-09-2016, 11:22 AM
From what I've seen so far, the Telegraph's sting hasn't really worked very well. The people that have been filmed have spoken about what goes on, but have not done anything illegal (or against FA rules). Black appears to speak about coaches who'll take a couple of grand for giving someone a nod re. specific players. OK, this is against the rules, but it's not really that shocking - and it's definitely not going to bring the game to it's knees.

There's been dodgy stuff going on for years in football - we all know that, but I'm already getting bored by the Telegraph thing.

superfurryhibby
30-09-2016, 01:09 PM

Ayes, a bit like all those folk going on about Stubbs and his supposed dalliances etc.

emerald green
30-09-2016, 01:13 PM
Having witnessed some truly unbelievable refereeing decisions over the years, some of them fairly recently, the thought has crossed my mind quite a few times that the only explanation for these incredible decisions is that the referee has been "got at".

Maybe / probably not always. But never ever? It surely couldn't happen in Scotland could it?

Stand by to get called paranoid. :rolleyes:

jacomo
30-09-2016, 01:35 PM

All for keeping things in proportion but, at the same time, we mustn't be complacent.

Oldco won plenty of trophies with improperly registered players, no one spoke about it, it was only a tax investigation which revealed that they had cheated. There was then an establishment cover up deflect blame and avoid any retrospective punishment.

We literally watched this happen in front of our eyes, with plenty of evidence coming to light, yet Murray kept his knighthood and Oldco kept their trophies.

There have been loads of whispers about bizarre transfers and behaviour. Agents acting for both sides of a deal or switching sides. Players getting moved or getting appearances for financial reasons not footballing ones.

The cosy football family is very good at looking after their own.

I don't believe in football's imminent demise but I do think there are a lot of dirty secrets being kept from the paying public, and plenty of people conspiring to keep it that way.

hhibs
30-09-2016, 01:47 PM
Having witnessed some truly unbelievable refereeing decisions over the years, some of them fairly recently, the thought has crossed my mind quite a few times that the only explanation for these incredible decisions is that the referee has been "got at".

Maybe / probably not always. But never ever? It surely couldn't happen in Scotland could it?

Stand by to get called paranoid. :rolleyes:

Your not paranoid !

I think it would be extremely foolish if we were to believe that there was no corruption in the Scottish game,whether it always involves cash in all cases is another matter.

Given recent Scottish football history the desire to bend rules beyond breaking point by certain now "reconstituted" clubs and the authorities "accommodation" of same surely borders on or actually is, corruption.

Itsnoteasy
30-09-2016, 02:35 PM

He screwed his brothers wife. Wouldn't put anything past him

snedzuk
30-09-2016, 03:03 PM

How do you know hes not wearing foundation

BullsCloseHibs
30-09-2016, 04:34 PM
Eric Black...80s legend for Sheep community.

Now a disgraced individual!

emerald green
30-09-2016, 04:50 PM
Your not paranoid !

I think it would be extremely foolish if we were to believe that there was no corruption in the Scottish game,whether it always involves cash in all cases is another matter.

Given recent Scottish football history the desire to bend rules beyond breaking point by certain now "reconstituted" clubs and the authorities "accommodation" of same surely borders on or actually is, corruption.

Spike Mandela
01-10-2016, 07:18 AM
I don't really see that this is a big story - he's said something that he probably shouldn't have - but so what? What has he done wrong? I'm getting a bit bored of these Daily Telegraph stories.

With the FA and English media getting so self righteous and sanctimonious about the exposing of corruption at FIFA it is pleasing to watch the bubble being pricked on their own den of eniquity.

There is so much money involved in English football that corruption, dodgy practices and loose morals were never going to be far off.

These exposés are just the tip of the iceberg and as soon as you have the attitude of 'so what' to the minor infractions you create the culture where criminality and corruption become rife.

Keith_M
01-10-2016, 08:02 AM
Not exactly a big name.

9 letters.

Apparently now linked to greek coach, Dimitrios Eleftheropoulos

Now that's what I call a big name.