PDA

View Full Version : Serious topic

MichaelTheCelt
25-09-2016, 03:31 AM
Right obviously a lot of folk on here are aware there is a Celtic man on the forums (gasps)
Aye, Mon the hoops, Hail hail, We shall not be moved blah blah blah, hopefully got that out the way for anyone who ISN'T aware I'm on here.
Lets not turn this into bloody Celtic back in 1888 doing this to Hibs and Hibs doing this to Celtic tit for tat crap.

Serious thread about a serious issue that Hibernian and Celtic were set up for!

Foodbanks in Scotland in this day and age, really sad f*****g state of affairs, TRAGIC actually!!!!
what are our two clubs doing about it, should we both make this a bigger issue? I think so. I know that our group the Green Brigade organise foodbank collections, do you's have a group that does that? (genuine question by the way I'm not sure if you guys do or don't, so not having a go please don't take it that I am)

So talking with my pals down the pub tonight, and we got on the topic of foodbanks, and Celtic being set up in the name of charity and how Hibernian were the exact same as us etc etc.

Rivalry aside this is what we got talking about. Imagine a game by Hibernian and Celtic setup purely as a charitable game, say for example Hibs legends and Celtic legends play a game this year, or next and all the profits go towards the foodbanks across Scotland, two clubs with charitable backgrounds imagine that football hatred aside, setting up a game in the name of charity! what do yous think?

bear in mind guys I've had quite a few pints the night and I realise the above may be an incoherent mess hopefully my sentiments come across well enough.

Carheenlea
25-09-2016, 03:53 AM
There have been collections for the local foodbank on two occasions. An incredible amount of food was donated by fans, but the reason you might not have heard about it is that Hibs don't tend to shout from the rooftops about it. For the same reason why a charity match against another club wouldn't find favour, however good the cause.
Hibs will continue to aid and assist the local community where they can without fanfare.

MichaelTheCelt
25-09-2016, 04:10 AM
There have been collections for the local foodbank on two occasions. An incredible amount of food was donated by fans, but the reason you might not have heard about it is that Hibs don't tend to shout from the rooftops about it. For the same reason why a charity match against another club wouldn't find favour, however good the cause.
Hibs will continue to aid and assist the local community where they can without fanfare.

Without having wee disguised digs mate it's not something we shout from the rooftops about either, this was just something that came up in discussion with my pals tonight cause there is a local foodbank that is always stowed. I don't know about foodbank collections at easter road cause I don't live there or support Hibs much like you probably don't hear about the collections we do, there is a lot believe it or not and you'll be surprised we don't shout from the rooftops.

However a football game set up with the proceeds going to local foodbanks would draw attention towards the issue not just on a local level but a world wide level. Put yer hatred and sly digs aside eh.

MichaelTheCelt
25-09-2016, 04:30 AM
It would draw even more attention if Celtic and Sevco were to put their issues aside and do something like this together. As for Hibs, I'm happy to contribute to any charitable causes our club deem fit, however I'd rather we had **** all to do with Celtic. I would imagine most on here wouldn't want to be affiliated with such a despicable club.

Fair doos, I mean historical sense you can kind of see the point I'm gettin at. But aye chat from some folk on here is smashing, I'm not even gonna bother posting or replying anymore.

SRHibs
25-09-2016, 04:41 AM
Maybe I was a bit harsh, but aye, I don't like Celtic. It's a well-intentioned idea that I would obviously support if it was happening (purely based on it being for a good cause). Would still rather Hibs do their own charitable work though. History aside, the point stands that doing something like this with the huns would be more impactful.

Highland_Hibee
25-09-2016, 05:03 AM
Anything that can help local charities can only be a good thing. Folk "shout from the rooftops" about supporting major charities all the time. What's the harm in two rival football clubs coming together supporting local communities? I agree with the point that to see Celtic and The Rangers do it would probably have more of an effect. In saying that some of their biggest knuckle draggers still wouldn't put rivalry aside for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr White
25-09-2016, 05:11 AM
chat from some folk on here is smashing, I'm not even gonna bother posting or replying anymore.

Michael, rather than starting threads that are effectively a q&a with the resident celtic fan (and threatening to stop posting and replying when you don't get the response you were hoping for), how about just contributing to the forum in general? Get involved in the discussions on other threads perhaps?

We have fans of other clubs who do this regularly with no bother. Your approach on the other hand is only going to wind people up.

On the topic of your suggestion here I don't see why hibs and celtc should do this. Hibs v hearts or rangers v celtic would attract more interest but even then I can't see it ever happening.

Pete
25-09-2016, 07:15 AM
I don't know about anyone else but after the first paragraph I was totally on board.

Keith_M
25-09-2016, 07:20 AM
I don't know about anyone else but after the first paragraph I was totally bored.

Edit

Carheenlea
25-09-2016, 07:23 AM
Without having wee disguised digs mate it's not something we shout from the rooftops about either, this was just something that came up in discussion with my pals tonight cause there is a local foodbank that is always stowed. I don't know about foodbank collections at easter road cause I don't live there or support Hibs much like you probably don't hear about the collections we do, there is a lot believe it or not and you'll be surprised we don't shout from the rooftops.

However a football game set up with the proceeds going to local foodbanks would draw attention towards the issue not just on a local level but a world wide level. Put yer hatred and sly digs aside eh.

Hatred? No hatred directed in my reply and an accusation you should retract.

Celtic do a terrific amount of charity work, and that is to be applauded. I'm sure there is a lot we don't hear of either. While Celtic and Hibs help with charitable causes, they are gestures not unique to our two clubs. Hearts, Rangers, Aberdeen and their supporters etc will all do what they can for many different causes, and if that stops, maybe then would be the time to talk about showpiece charity matches.

Keith_M
25-09-2016, 07:31 AM
Let's face it, the clubs and their overpaid players could easily just give a few million to charity between them without having a PR Stunt called a 'charity match', at which the responsibility has been passed from multi-millionaire footballers to your ordinary guy in the street.

This is a bit like having some mega-rich actors and musicians begging Joe Public on TV to give to the latest cause-celebre, when they could easily raise the same amount of money by reaching into their back pocket.

Jim44
25-09-2016, 07:37 AM
Michael, rather than starting threads that are effectively a q&a with the resident celtic fan (and threatening to stop posting and replying when you don't get the response you were hoping for), how about just contributing to the forum in general? Get involved in the discussions on other threads perhaps?

We have fans of other clubs who do this regularly with no bother. Your approach on the other hand is only going to wind people up.

On the topic of your suggestion here I don't see why hibs and celtc should do this. Hibs v hearts or rangers v celtic would attract more interest but even then I can't see it ever happening.

Steady on, now. Remember the Jambos have a blighted reputation when it comes to supporting charities.:greengrin

Mr White
25-09-2016, 07:39 AM
Steady on, now. Remember the Jambos have a blighted reputation when it comes to supporting charities.:greengrin

Good point :greengrin

Sammy7nil
25-09-2016, 07:47 AM
Right obviously a lot of folk on here are aware there is a Celtic man on the forums (gasps)
Aye, Mon the hoops, Hail hail, We shall not be moved blah blah blah, hopefully got that out the way for anyone who ISN'T aware I'm on here.
Lets not turn this into bloody Celtic back in 1888 doing this to Hibs and Hibs doing this to Celtic tit for tat crap.

Foodbanks in Scotland in this day and age, really sad f*****g state of affairs, TRAGIC actually!!!!
what are our two clubs doing about it, should we both make this a bigger issue? I think so. I know that our group the Green Brigade organise foodbank collections, do you's have a group that does that? (genuine question by the way I'm not sure if you guys do or don't, so not having a go please don't take it that I am)

So talking with my pals down the pub tonight, and we got on the topic of foodbanks, and Celtic being set up in the name of charity and how Hibernian were the exact same as us etc etc.

Rivalry aside this is what we got talking about. Imagine a game by Hibernian and Celtic setup purely as a charitable game, say for example Hibs legends and Celtic legends play a game this year, or next and all the profits go towards the foodbanks across Scotland, two clubs with charitable backgrounds imagine that football hatred aside, setting up a game in the name of charity! what do yous think?

bear in mind guys I've had quite a few pints the night and I realise the above may be an incoherent mess hopefully my sentiments come across well enough.
It is a good idea but i agree with other posters perhaps the clubs themselves could simply make donations from a particular game. Say there was a cup reply give all profit to charity. The real issue is SKY and the EPL should be doing something players on £300,000 a week and fans are being asked to help there is something wrong.

Santa Cruz
25-09-2016, 07:58 AM

We haven't played Celtic for a few years now and some sort of open doors bounce game could raise a few bob. I'm sure both teams could find a suitable gap in the calendar at some point during the season.

WhileTheChief..
25-09-2016, 08:20 AM
See when you posted this on Kerrydale St or wherever, what kinda reaction did you get?

Crap idea.

Keith_M
25-09-2016, 08:35 AM
See when you posted this on Kerrydale St or wherever, what kinda reaction did you get?

Crap idea.

How about posting a suggestion on Kerrydale St and Follow-Follow for a charity match between Celtc and T'Rangers.

They could advertise that they're giving the proceeds of the game to victims of domestic abuse, victims of terrorism, anti-sectarian charities and anything left over would be given to some society that helps promote peace and understanding between Arabs and Israelis.

They could advertise the game as "The Love Match"

Meanwhile, the rest of us could just keep quietly donating to charity without having to proclaim to the world how wonderful we are for doing so.

Bostonhibby
25-09-2016, 08:40 AM
This sums it up for me and from a poster I don't see doing sly digs etc.

We've been doing charitable giving since prior to 1888 and am comfortable with doing it the way we do for the causes we adopt.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Callum7
25-09-2016, 09:10 AM
The problem with that is that half of the Hibs legends have also played for Celtic.

WhileTheChief..
25-09-2016, 09:15 AM
It is a good idea but i agree with other posters perhaps the clubs themselves could simply make donations from a particular game. Say there was a cup reply give all profit to charity. The real issue is SKY and the EPL should be doing something players on £300,000 a week and fans are being asked to help there is something wrong.

Scottish football is skint and you want the proceeds from a cup replay to go towards food banks??

Bollocks. That's a government issue.

I support Hibs with my cash and I want my money to help the club. If bty extension that helps the Hibernian Community thing based at ER then fine.

And why the hell should Sky try to sort out the country's food bank problem??? Why single them out and not have a look at the ftse 100 companies.

How about Apple? They're loaded.

The Green Goblin
25-09-2016, 09:44 AM
Scottish football is skint and you want the proceeds from a cup replay to go towards food banks??

Bollocks. That's a government issue.

I support Hibs with my cash and I want my money to help the club. If bty extension that helps the Hibernian Community thing based at ER then fine.

And why the hell should Sky try to sort out the country's food bank problem??? Why single them out and not have a look at the ftse 100 companies.

How about Apple? They're loaded.

Totally. If Apple, Google and Amazon paid their taxes like everyone else (except the huns and yams of course)...

The Pointer
25-09-2016, 10:07 AM
No matter how benevolent the idea, I don't want anything to do with that crowd in the West. We've moved on, they haven't.

Forget it.

sleeping giant
25-09-2016, 10:13 AM
Fair doos, I mean historical sense you can kind of see the point I'm gettin at. But aye chat from some folk on here is smashing, I'm not even gonna bother posting or replying anymore.

Three posts in and you have spat the dummy :greengrin:

blackpoolhibs
25-09-2016, 10:21 AM
Bad idea in my opinion, i don't want our club to be associated with celtc in any way shape or form. We can keep doing as we do now without joining up with such a horrible football club who's fans like to think of us are their wee brothers.

A game like this would only confirm it to the rest of Scotland, next we'd have sevco and the gimps across the city joining up to do something similar.

Perhaps these charities would prosper from it, but i very much doubt it. And even if they did the stench from our team working with these people would be unbearable and not for me.

northstandhibby
25-09-2016, 10:23 AM
Bad idea in my opinion, i don't want our club to be associated with celtc in any way shape or form. We can keep doing as we do now without joining up with such a horrible football club who's fans like to think of us are their wee brothers.

A game like this would only confirm it to the rest of Scotland, next we'd have sevco and the gimps across the city joining up to do something similar.

Perhaps these charities would prosper from it, but i very much doubt it. And even if they did the stench from our team working with these people would be unbearable and not for me.

:top marks

Not for me either.

I think a display by the Ugly Sisters against bigotry would be worth a shot though.

GGTTH

silverhibee
25-09-2016, 10:24 AM
:nanawave:

:nanawave:

fishybeaver
25-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Shouldnt the clowns at Hollyrood be sorting out society's issues?

GreenLake
25-09-2016, 12:39 PM
It's better to spend time trying to feed the hungry than avoiding hydroxylated fatty acids.

147lothian
25-09-2016, 09:15 PM
Shouldnt the clowns at Hollyrood be sorting out society's issues?

It was very humbling the size of donations when we did the food banks, if that never embarrassed the 'clowns at Hollyrood' I don't know what will? Btw does anyone have any pics of it? I know that loads did the rounds at the time

HFCdeb
25-09-2016, 09:39 PM
How about posting a suggestion on Kerrydale St and Follow-Follow for a charity match between Celtc and T'Rangers.

They could advertise that they're giving the proceeds of the game to victims of domestic abuse, victims of terrorism, anti-sectarian charities and anything left over would be given to some society that helps promote peace and understanding between Arabs and Israelis.

They could advertise the game as "The Love Match"

Meanwhile, the rest of us could just keep quietly donating to charity without having to proclaim to the world how wonderful we are for doing so.

This should be made into a fIlm.

anon1875
25-09-2016, 10:04 PM

Superb idea imo.

BSEJVT
26-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Quite apart from the unsurprising fact that the Op has conveniently ignored that the fact that Celtc were formed out of a charitable enterprise by Hibs which they then used to very nearly force Hibs permanently out of business, he then praises Celtc & Hibs (as an afterthought) for their charitable works.

Not that we would, but Hibs could justifiably claim to have been the road map in our early years for future charitable works by football teams.

Celtc supporters treat us like we are their poorer cousins and patronise us unendingly, it would stick in my throat to have anything to do with them.

Hibs should avoid cosying up to any team that is happy to condone, promote and exploit the utter shame that is religious bigotry for their own ends.

One of the best things to have happened to the club in recent years is the clubs stance against the old & new Rangers and the complete breakdown in our "relationship" with them and I would like nothing better than if we stopped allowing ourselves to be pissed about by Celtc in pursuit of their players and to treat them the same way and distance ourselves from them.

My antipathy towards the "infirm" not withstanding, I doubt there would be much appetite for such a game in any event.

Bobo
26-09-2016, 12:53 PM
The problem with that is that half of the Hibs legends have also played for Celtic.

They were only Legends at Hibs though Callum 😉

seanoheimhin
26-09-2016, 02:10 PM

Main point of this thread aside, I've never understood this attitude in Hibs support towards Celtic.

Whether people like it or not there are clear historical links between the clubs that you're never going to escape. Both clubs were outsiders in Scottish football and society for many years. As a result, there is a duality to the identity of the clubs, and I personally think that should be celebrated.

Hibs has certainly integrated itself more into Scottish society and as such has a softer strain of Irish identity. That's all well and good, but I don't understand the 'holier than thou' attitude of many hibs fans just because Celtic has chosen to retain a stronger link to their cultural past.

Appreciate the 'wee brothers' element, but there's always going to be that dynamic given the relative sizes of the two clubs. Having lived in Edinburgh and Glasgow for years, I can tell you I know a lot of Celtic fans who wholeheartedly follow hibs as a second team out of a recognition of the historical links between the two clubs.

I don't support any other club than Hibs, but faced with a choice between the ugliest, most vile representation of the old bigoted Scottish establishment (Sevco), and Celtic (admittedly with their own IMO lesser problems of sectarianism) I'd be cheering on the club with historical and cultural links to Hibs every single time.

SRHibs
26-09-2016, 02:13 PM
I couldn't give two ****s about our shared Irish heritage. In my eyes, Hibs are a Scottish club.

marinello59
26-09-2016, 02:14 PM
Main point of this thread aside, I've never understood this attitude in Hibs support towards Celtic.

Whether people like it or not there are clear historical links between the clubs that you're never going to escape. Both clubs were outsiders in Scottish football and society for many years. As a result, there is a duality to the identity of the clubs, and I personally think that should be celebrated.

Hibs has certainly integrated itself more into Scottish society and as such has a softer strain of Irish identity. That's all well and good, but I don't understand the 'holier than thou' attitude of many hibs fans just because Celtic has chosen to retain a stronger link to their cultural past.

Appreciate the 'wee brothers' element, but there's always going to be that dynamic given the relative sizes of the two clubs.

I think you need to check out the history of Celtics formation before coming out with claptrap like this. Dearie me.

seanoheimhin
26-09-2016, 02:17 PM
I think you need to check out the history of Celtics formation before coming out with claptrap like this. Dearie me.

I'm clearly not as well informed as your fine self, please tell me where I've gone wrong...

seanoheimhin
26-09-2016, 02:19 PM
I couldn't give two ****s about our shared Irish heritage. In my eyes, Hibs are a Scottish club.

Exactly, and that's perfectly understandable. I'm inclined to agree with you.

What I'm saying is I can't understand the condemnation of Celtic fans for choosing to accentuate their past in a way that we don't necessarily at Hibs.

BSEJVT
26-09-2016, 03:12 PM
I'm clearly not as well informed as your fine self, please tell me where I've gone wrong...

Why don't you do the research yourself you might fund it illuminating?

Having taken the trouble to do so the lesson might stick with you.

All I will say on the subject is that having willingly assisted in the setting up of Celtc they then did everything the could to put us out of business both commercially and on the playing field.

It seems to me that little has changed since then, except they now patronise us consistently and treat us like their dimmer cousins.

As for this shared Irish catholic experience, it is less relevant to me than my last ****.

I am neither of Irish extraction nor Catholic, not that being so would have been a problem to me either in life nor supporting Hibs, I doubt even if I were that those tenuous links of yesteryear would have caused me to feel more disposed to one of the ugly sisters whose dominance and the poison that surrounds it is in my view at the route of many of the evils besetting Scottish Football.

The only reason the inform match is worthy of the attention it receives is it is the same as how much you loved your old uncle John coming to you parents New Year party, you knew there that he would get hammered and liven the party up by misbehaving, the only uncertainty was the extent of that misbehaviour.

I started supporting Hibs because of family and geographical reasons and once I was able to make my own judgements because of the way we played.

Until the last couple of years I would have said I disliked Celtc more than Rangers, probably because they stopped my beloved Tornadoes winning more and because of their patronising ****.

WeeRussell
26-09-2016, 03:32 PM

Exactly. All for helping out with charity - not for using charity as an excuse to try and get us aboard the bigot/Irish brothers train.

As per your original thread, absolutely no issue with you contributing as a fan of another club (in the same way that a resident Jambo does).. but we don't want to be friends with your club and never will :aok:

seanoheimhin
26-09-2016, 03:41 PM
Why don't you do the research yourself you might fund it illuminating?

Having taken the trouble to do so the lesson might stick with you.

All I will say on the subject is that having willingly assisted in the setting up of Celtc they then did everything the could to put us out of business both commercially and on the playing field.

It seems to me that little has changed since then, except they now patronise us consistently and treat us like their dimmer cousins.

As for this shared Irish catholic experience, it is less relevant to me than my last ****.

I am neither of Irish extraction nor Catholic, not that being so would have been a problem to me either in life nor supporting Hibs, I doubt even if I were that those tenuous links of yesteryear would have caused me to feel more disposed to one of the ugly sisters whose dominance and the poison that surrounds it is in my view at the route of many of the evils besetting Scottish Football.

The only reason the inform match is worthy of the attention it receives is it is the same as how much you loved your old uncle John coming to you parents New Year party, you knew there that he would get hammered and liven the party up by misbehaving, the only uncertainty was the extent of that misbehaviour.

I started supporting Hibs because of family and geographical reasons and once I was able to make my own judgements because of the way we played.

Until the last couple of years I would have said I disliked Celtc more than Rangers, probably because they stopped my beloved Tornadoes winning more and because of their patronising ****.

You might have noticed some light sarcasm in my response there. I'm well aware of the history of both clubs, and nothing I said in my OP is inaccurate, or as it was eloquently called - 'claptrap'.

I appreciate your perspective, and I join you in neither being of catholic extraction nor deeming it at all relevant to our club or wider society these days.

Nonetheless, over the years, I've come to realise Hibs fans have varying and often complex relationships with the club's history. In my experience there is definitely a strand of resentment, even anger, towards those fans who do still care about the clubs cultural and social Irish past. I've never understood it, given the lack of a sectarian basis for that identity in the case of Hibs.

I see a similar, IMO disproportionate, anger in some fans towards Celtic as a club. Other than the obvious problems the two Glasgow clubs bring to Scottish football, I think I'm destined to go on not quite understanding where that anger comes from.

northstandhibby
26-09-2016, 03:43 PM

Appreciate the 'wee brothers' element, but there's always going to be that dynamic given the relative sizes of the two clubs. Having lived in Edinburgh and Glasgow for years, I can tell you I know a lot of Celtic fans who wholeheartedly follow hibs as a second team out of a recognition of the historical links between the two clubs.

I don't support any other club than Hibs, but faced with a choice between the ugliest, most vile representation of the old bigoted Scottish establishment (Sevco), and Celtic (admittedly with their own IMO lesser problems of sectarianism) I'd be cheering on the club with historical and cultural links to Hibs every single time.

This is exactly the type of issue you are trying to highlight that I detest about scottish football.

I hope one day the sectarian baggage linked to scottish football is binned to history.

Unfortunately the english media with it's sister papers up here allied with its 'pundit's like gordon parks, k jackshun, c young and all the rest want to maintain it and do so deviously.

One day soon.

GGTTH

seanoheimhin
26-09-2016, 03:50 PM
This is exactly the type of issue you are trying to highlight that I detest about scottish football.

I hope one day the sectarian baggage linked to scottish football is binned to history.

Unfortunately the english media with it's sister papers up here allied with its 'pundit's like gordon parks, k jackshun, c young and all the rest want to maintain it and do so deviously.

One day soon.

GGTTH

I think there is a colossal difference between 'sectarian baggage' and shared culture. Just because that culture was once subject to sectarianism does not make it sectarian in itself.

Of course we all want to see the back of bigotry and sectarianism. That doesn't mean binning the entire history of Scottish football.

northstandhibby
26-09-2016, 04:01 PM
I think there is a colossal difference between 'sectarian baggage' and shared culture. Just because that culture was once subject to sectarianism does not make it sectarian in itself.

Of course we all want to see the back of bigotry and sectarianism. That doesn't mean binning the entire history of Scottish football.

:aok: Thumbs up for the sentence in bold.

I get your point and agree with the context of it. I think most sensible people would know what I was referring to.

I didn't say 'bin the entire history of scottish football'.

Every club should have a shared culture of being football clubs and fans without the division of singing sectarian songs like the 'billy boy's or 'up the ra' or any of that type of get it up you nonsense.

I'm not against singing calm songs that are cultured but are not divisive or hate filled.

You know exactly the type of in your face sectarianism I am referring to.

Hibs and Hearts can get by without the hate filled sectarian divisiveness at derby games or any game for that matter, I'm sure if the media and politicians had the cahonies to do something about it so could Celtic or Rangers. It would be good for Scotland and Football.

One day soon.

GGTTH

silverhibee
26-09-2016, 04:06 PM

Were you born in Edinburgh or Glasgow. .?

seanoheimhin
26-09-2016, 04:10 PM
:aok: Thumbs up for the sentence in bold.

I get your point and agree with the context of it. I think most sensible people would know what I was referring to.

I didn't say 'bin the entire history of scottish football'.

Every club should have a shared culture of being football clubs and fans without the division of singing sectarian songs like the 'billy boy's or 'up the ra' or any of that type of get it up you nonsense.

I'm not against singing calm songs that are cultured but are not divisive or hate filled.

You know exactly the type of in your face sectarianism I am referring to.

Hibs and Hearts can get by without the hate filled sectarian divisiveness at derby games or any game for that matter, I'm sure if the media and politicians had the cahonies to do something about it so could Celtic or Rangers. It would be good for Scotland and Football.

One day soon.

GGTTH

Absolutely, it's painful to see the relevant powers sit on their hands and let those trends continue.

I think the idea of clubs having a cultural identity with open, inclusive values would be seen as a much more positive thing if it wasn't so closely linked to the behaviour that we see being accepted/ignored by the authorities on an almost weekly basis.

Santa Cruz
26-09-2016, 04:11 PM

I don't blame you

BSEJVT
26-09-2016, 04:25 PM
You might have noticed some light sarcasm in my response there. I'm well aware of the history of both clubs, and nothing I said in my OP is inaccurate, or as it was eloquently called - 'claptrap'.

I appreciate your perspective, and I join you in neither being of catholic extraction nor deeming it at all relevant to our club or wider society these days.

Nonetheless, over the years, I've come to realise Hibs fans have varying and often complex relationships with the club's history. In my experience there is definitely a strand of resentment, even anger, towards those fans who do still care about the clubs cultural and social Irish past. I've never understood it, given the lack of a sectarian basis for that identity in the case of Hibs.

I see a similar, IMO disproportionate, anger in some fans towards Celtic as a club. Other than the obvious problems the two Glasgow clubs bring to Scottish football, I think I'm destined to go on not quite understanding where that anger comes from.

I don't believe Hibs fans do have the complex relationship you refer to it.

They either:

1) Are indifferent in so far as it neither resonates with them or is of much interest it

or

2) Embrace it

Folk follow teams for lots of different reasons, just because some are more meaningful to you than others, doesn't mean that you have a problem with the others.

I don't think peoples anger towards Celtc is disproportionate

I think a straw poll of non OF supporters would average out our antipathy towards them in equal measure, although The Rangers are obviously trying to tip the balance in their favour in recent years

In the same way as things attract people to clubs as I alluded to earlier, certain things repel people from them.

Since religion has no part to play in my life, my dislike for Celtic was previously greater for the reasons I have expressed in my earlier post.

I think putting any other type of badge on it in what (the West apart) I have always found to be a largely non sectarian Scotland is IMO looking for trouble where none exists.

Aberdeen's huge dislike of Rangers for example I think can safely be said to be for non sectarian reasons.

People dislike successful teams they don't support, particularly since TV money has completely unlevelled the playing field.

Other than that there is no reason for both Scottish and English supporters dislike of the likes of the Manchester and big London clubs.

Carheenlea
26-09-2016, 04:26 PM
I don't blame you

I don't bother posting or replying in other fans forums either. If I did somehow feel that way inclined, I'd require a thicker skin than that of the OP.
Posting on other fans forums is never going to be tea and scones all round.

northstandhibby
26-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Absolutely, it's painful to see the relevant powers sit on their hands and let those trends continue.

I think the idea of clubs having a cultural identity with open, inclusive values would be seen as a much more positive thing if it wasn't so closely linked to the behaviour that we see being accepted/ignored by the authorities on an almost weekly basis.

:aok:

GGTTH

seanoheimhin
26-09-2016, 04:40 PM
Were you born in Edinburgh or Glasgow. .?

Perhaps a hint as to a source of some of that dislike...

PiemanP
26-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Ltcf

seanoheimhin
26-09-2016, 04:48 PM
I don't believe Hibs fans do have the complex relationship you refer to it.

They either:

1) Are indifferent in so far as it neither resonates with them or is of much interest it

or

2) Embrace it

Folk follow teams for lots of different reasons, just because some are more meaningful to you than others, doesn't mean that you have a problem with the others.

I don't think peoples anger towards Celtc is disproportionate

I think a straw poll of non OF supporters would average out our antipathy towards them in equal measure, although The Rangers are obviously trying to tip the balance in their favour in recent years

In the same way as things attract people to clubs as I alluded to earlier, certain things repel people from them.

Since religion has no part to play in my life, my dislike for Celtic was previously greater for the reasons I have expressed in my earlier post.

I think putting any other type of badge on it in what (the West apart) I have always found to be a largely non sectarian Scotland is IMO looking for trouble where none exists.

Aberdeen's huge dislike of Rangers for example I think can safely be said to be for non sectarian reasons.

People dislike successful teams they don't support, particularly since TV money has completely unlevelled the playing field.

Other than that there is no reason for both Scottish and English supporters dislike of the likes of the Manchester and big London clubs.

You make fair points, and I agree with your grouping of the type of fans. It's the relationship between those two groups where I see the complexity I referred to as lying.

Of course you needn't have a problem with someone who has a different view to you, but many people do. That's the point I've been making for my last couple of posts, and my main premise is that I don't understand why.

You may have a point on wider dislike of Celtic, but in my experience the antipathy you refer to isn't as widespread whether you live in Glasgow, Edinburgh or Fort William. Different life experiences, I suppose!

Either way, I respect the reasons you're a hibs fan. I just don't like the apparent disrespect some hibs fans show to their fellow supporters when they reference the club's history as a reason for supporting them. Personally, I think it's a much better reason than whether your house is closer to Leith or Gorgie.

SRHibs
26-09-2016, 05:01 PM
Either way, I respect the reasons you're a hibs fan. I just don't like the apparent disrespect some hibs fans show to their fellow supporters when they reference the club's history as a reason for supporting them. Personally, I think it's a much better reason than whether your house is closer to Leith or Gorgie.

Supporting Hibs because they're closer to your house is a perfectly valid reason. It's entertainment, and a social activity, thus wanting to travel easily is more than acceptable. Choosing which club to support based on history - some of which has **** all to do with football - isn't a good reason. Most people don't choose their club - they are born into a Hibs/Hearts/Aberdeen etc. supporting family. If Celtic fans are choosing Hibs as their second club based on our history, then as far as I'm concerned all they're doing is stoking the fire of sectarianism and bigotry.

Celtic and Rangers are two sides of the same horrible coin. They are as bad as each other, and anyone who thinks otherwise clearly has green and white tinted specs on.

seanoheimhin
26-09-2016, 05:18 PM
Supporting Hibs because they're closer to your house is a perfectly valid reason. It's entertainment, and a social activity, thus wanting to travel easily is more than acceptable. Choosing which club to support baseed on history - some of which has **** all to do with football - isn't a good reason. Most people don't choose their club - they are born into a Hibs/Hearts/Aberdeen etc. supporting family. If Celtic fans are choosing Hibs as their second club based on our history, then as far as I'm concerned all they're doing is stoking the fire of sectarianism and bigotry.

Celtic and Rangers are two sides of the same horrible coin. They are as bad as each other, and anyone who thinks otherwise clearly has green and white tinted specs on.

Firstly, I never said it wasn't a valid reason?

Secondly, when someone states something as subjective and ambiguous as 'they are as bad as each other' as a fact and then says 'anyone who thinks otherwise...', that's when I stop taking them seriously

BSEJVT
26-09-2016, 05:55 PM
You make fair points, and I agree with your grouping of the type of fans. It's the relationship between those two groups where I see the complexity I referred to as lying.

Of course you needn't have a problem with someone who has a different view to you, but many people do. That's the point I've been making for my last couple of posts, and my main premise is that I don't understand why.

You may have a point on wider dislike of Celtic, but in my experience the antipathy you refer to isn't as widespread whether you live in Glasgow, Edinburgh or Fort William. Different life experiences, I suppose!

Seems to me like there is some underlying agenda here so this is my last word on the subject.

Hibs support is a broad church to me, I don't really care why anyone else supports Hibs (as long as they do) and don't really think about why either they or I do so.

I haven't seen anyone disrespecting another Hibs supporters reasons for supporting the club, I suspect that like me they don't care.

There are often several routes to the same destination, some choose different ways to others as they like the scenery, others because it is the quickest.

As long as everyone gets there safe and sound what does it matter?

seanoheimhin
27-09-2016, 09:41 AM
Seems to me like there is some underlying agenda here so this is my last word on the subject.

Hibs support is a broad church to me, I don't really care why anyone else supports Hibs (as long as they do) and don't really think about why either they or I do so.

I haven't seen anyone disrespecting another Hibs supporters reasons for supporting the club, I suspect that like me they don't care.

There are often several routes to the same destination, some choose different ways to others as they like the scenery, others because it is the quickest.

As long as everyone gets there safe and sound what does it matter?

I feel quite emotional really, maybe I'm finally part of the Hibs.net family now that I've been accused of having an underlying agenda. :greengrin

Bostonhibby
27-09-2016, 09:54 AM
I feel quite emotional really, maybe I'm finally part of the Hibs.net family now that I've been accused of having an underlying agenda. :greengrin
You are MichaelTheCelt and I claim the free yam away strip prize for spotting the connection[emoji6]

Dashing Bob S
27-09-2016, 09:55 AM

Oh, I love Hibs Irish heritage. Without it we're just another drab, two-bob mundane Scottish club like Hearts, Falkirk, Dundee, St Johnstone, Sevco etc etc

seanoheimhin
27-09-2016, 10:59 AM
You are MichaelTheCelt and I claim the free yam away strip prize for spotting the connection[emoji6]

:top marks

I was sure I had gotten away with it too

NAE NOOKIE
27-09-2016, 11:23 AM

This sums up the reason just about every Hibs fan ( in fact I would go so far as to say all Hibs fans ) looks on Celtic fans as a bunch of patronising sods.
There are 41 professional football clubs in Scotland's 4 leagues and of these 41 clubs the 6 biggest in order of support are:

Celtic
Sevco
Hearts
Hibs / Aberdeen ...... hard to separate the two for 4th & 5th
Dundee Utd

In that scenario Hibs have to be counted amongst Celtic's biggest rivals for silverware. League form notwithstanding, the fact that we have contested 3 Scottish cup finals and a League cup final in the last 4 years would bear that out. Can you imagine a Man United fan saying that Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea are their 'second team'?

If you are going to have a 'second team' in the same league system ( a bizarre enough concept for most fans ) you choose a plucky wee trier who fight against the odds every season to survive like Albion Rovers or Cowdenbeath, or a team from the town your mum comes from, you don't pick one of your biggest rivals, if you do all you are saying to fans of that club is that their challenge is so easily dismissed you can afford to pat them on the head and go 'never mind plucky wee club, maybe next year'

Its bad enough that when they wake up on the first day of the season every year fans of 40 of the 42 league clubs know that in reality their club will never win the Premiership without fans of one of the two clubs ( one at the moment ) who actually will win it being so confident of that fact that they can afford to pick a team who should be a contender as their 'second team' ....... if that's not the very definition of patronising I don't know what is.

If I had access to the worlds most powerful microscope I still couldn't find my interest in our 'shared heritage' with Celtic or any so called 'special relationship' which as far as I'm concerned exists only in the minds of Celtic fans. I'll take the honest bile ridden hatred of Sevco and Hearts any old day of the week over patronising nonsense ..... better to be hated than dismissed.

Second team my arse :fuming: