PDA

View Full Version : Lewis stevenson

Enough said
24-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Not knocking him before anyone jumps down my throat. Now maybe the chance young crane needs as Lewis will be suspended at some point!!

B.H.F.C
24-09-2016, 08:49 PM
I think he will play Hanlon a LB

marjoriebanks
24-09-2016, 08:50 PM
Be interested to see what Crane would offer. Lewis has done well but has limitations. Let's see what the young lad offers.

Enough said
24-09-2016, 09:03 PM
Forgot about sticking Hanlon there , like to see crane get a crack at it

Leith's finest
24-09-2016, 09:07 PM
PH will play lb next game, LS will be back in the LB position after that, no doubt the lewis doubters will be on here soon

Billy Whizz
24-09-2016, 09:09 PM
I think he will play Hanlon a LB

Me too, if fit, was struggling towards the end of the game with an injury

Diclonius
24-09-2016, 09:13 PM
PH will play lb next game, LS will be back in the LB position after that, no doubt the lewis doubters will be on here soon

I see what you did there.

andrew70
24-09-2016, 09:14 PM
Got a feeling we might go 3 at the back next week.

Boyle and Gray wing backs.

Zazu62
24-09-2016, 09:18 PM
He will be out for next week .. but u can't hold a double cup winner back for too long.

Skol
24-09-2016, 09:19 PM

LS is a good solid pro. He has on occassion a good delivery. He defends competently.

However, he lacks pace and confidence and almost always slows play down and allows the opposition to get organised. He is not and attacking full back and should not be asked to play such a role. Its not within him. He mosly doesnt getban early ball in and when he does it hits the first man

I think he should play to his strengths and accept his weakness. Sometimes I would love him to have a go, run at his man, put him under pressure, whip in a cross...but he just doesnt.

LS is s defender, not an attacking full back

percy veer
24-09-2016, 09:27 PM
LS is a good solid pro. He has on occassion a good delivery. He defends competently.

However, he lacks pace and confidence and almost always slows play down and allows the opposition to get organised. He is not and attacking full back and should not be asked to play such a role. Its not within him. He mosly doesnt getban early ball in and when he does it hits the first man

I think he should play to his strengths and accept his weakness. Sometimes I would love him to have a go, run at his man, put him under pressure, whip in a cross...but he just doesnt.

Not or one of them are his strengths

HibbiesandtheBaddies
24-09-2016, 09:28 PM

However, he lacks pace and confidence and almost always slows play down and allows the opposition to get organised. He is not and attacking full back and should not be asked to play such a role. Its not within him. He mostly doesn't getban early ball in and when he does it hits the first man

That depends on your perspective. From high in the FF Upper it's obvious that more often than not he has no options out wide so has to check back inside. Now, that for me, is down to the fact that we have not had a true left winger for as long as I can remember, managers not insisting on enough width from his midfield, and the fact that Lewis has never been the type to bomb past players. If managers like his application and professionalism, as they obviously do, why not play a system to give him assistance on that left flank?

cleanyman
24-09-2016, 09:36 PM
Where is Fontaine

ancient hibee
24-09-2016, 09:37 PM
That depends on your perspective. From high in the FF Upper it's obvious that more often than not he has no options out wide so has to check back inside. Now, that for me, is down to the fact that we have not had a true left winger for as long as I can remember, managers not insisting on enough width from his midfield, and the fact that Lewis has never been the type to bomb past players. If managers like his application and professionalism, as they obviously do, why not play a system to give him assistance on that left flank?

And that's what's wrong.It's the ball that should bomb past players for the wing back to run onto instead of giving it to the player to take it up.The trouble is that since Allan left there is nobody that can consistently play the killer ball through a turning defence.

hibee_girl
24-09-2016, 09:38 PM
Where is Fontaine

Injured

stoneyburn hibs
24-09-2016, 09:40 PM
If it's the same formation next week (If that's when LS is suspended) then I'd like to see Crane given a chance. Hanlon would be a big miss at central defence.

Hi Heid Yin
24-09-2016, 09:50 PM
I quietly respect and admire Lewis Stevenson for his commitment and enthusiasm over the years.
He has been there through good and (mostly) bad times such as relegation and dire seasons of mediocrity and flirting with relegation.
But now I believe that he is deserving of criticism. He has been awful these past few games and very much a weak-link.
I honestly feel that he has found his level, here in the 2nd tier, and is a mostly effective if unspectacular full back - prone to occasional errors, losing attackers in the box and being caught flat-footed.
He is a little workhorse with limited vision and offers next to nothing in an attacking sense down the left wing - with his fleeting crosses failing time after time to go beyond the first defender.
He is a grafter first and foremost and for this he can't be faulted. This is a quality that a succession of managers have identified and admire in him - thus he gets game time beyond that of a lot more talented but less commited players in his position.
The bottom line for me is that I see him more as a handy squad player in this automatic promotion seeking season and not the regular attacking wing back we are crying out for.
I do feel that this might just be his last season with us for all of the aforementioned reasons.

Eyrie
24-09-2016, 10:02 PM
Hanlon is a centre half so I'm not sure why people think he'd be able to play left wing back when Stevenson, who is a good left back, struggles in the more advanced role.

Instead I'd give Crane the opportunity to start a league game for the first time and keep the Hanlon/McGregor pairing in the middle of our defence to minimise the changes at the back.

jabis
24-09-2016, 10:03 PM
I quietly respect and admire Lewis Stevenson for his commitment and enthusiasm over the years.
He has been there through good and (mostly) bad times such as relegation and dire seasons of mediocrity and flirting with relegation.
But now I believe that he is deserving of criticism. He has been awful these past few games and very much a weak-link.
I honest.ly feel that he has found his level, here in the 2nd tier, and is a mostly effective if unspectacular full back - prone to occasional errors, losing attackers in the box and being caught flat-footed.
He is a little workhorse with limited vision and offers next to nothing in an attacking sense down the left wing - with his fleeting crosses failing time after time to go beyond the first defender.
He is a grafter first and foremost and for this he can't be faulted. This is a quality that a succession of managers have identified and admire in him - thus he gets game time beyond that of a lot more talented but less commited players in his position.
The bottom line for me is that I see him more as a handy squad player in this automatic promotion seeking season and not the regular attacking wing back we are crying out for.
I do feel that this might just be his last season with us for all of the aforementioned reasons.

Piss and wind.....
My opinion.

Ronniekirk
24-09-2016, 10:04 PM
Me too, if fit, was struggling towards the end of the game with an injury

Hanlon injured would be bad news slthough think Fontaine is back Training this week But with United snd then Raith away we really could do with full squad and settled in form team
But eveyone keeps telling us we have best squad so whatever team we play we need to get back to winning ways

CyberSauzee
24-09-2016, 10:08 PM
I honestly feel that he has found his level, here in the 2nd tier, and is a mostly effective if unspectacular full back - prone to occasional errors, losing attackers in the box and being caught flat-footed.

Astutely observed....
My opinion.

SRHibs
24-09-2016, 10:09 PM

Good post. I too get the feeling this will be his last season in green and white. That said, if every player showed his amount of passion and commitment I very much doubt we would be still be seemingly wallowing in this league.

greenlex
24-09-2016, 10:10 PM
If it was against anyone other than Dundee Utd I would live Crane to get his chance. I'm not so sure Lennon will pitch him in next week tho. A roasting might set him back and also not do us any favours as a team I think Crane will make it but I don't think this is the game to blood him unfortunately.

Hi Heid Yin
24-09-2016, 10:11 PM
Piss and wind.....
My opinion.

Tell us why you think that he is the answer to our constant failure to attack effectively from the left back position? and why you feel that we can't get a better, more creative left/wingback?

greenlex
24-09-2016, 10:15 PM
Tell us why you think that he is the answer to our constant failure to attack effectively from the left back position? and why you feel that we can't get a better, more creative left/wingback?

He has plenty assists in the last few seasons. I don't know for sure but I'd wager as much as Gray on the right.

Sir David Gray
24-09-2016, 10:23 PM
Honestly, I think RB is probably another position we'll be looking to strengthen when (if) we get promoted.

I will cry myself to sleep if David Gray leaves us in the summer.

Stantons Angel
24-09-2016, 10:32 PM
Why does Lewis deserve his own post near enough every week on here.

He let himself down badly today by getting that second booking after the stupid first one, which i felt was not a booking at all!

I have no doubt that he will be going through agony at letting his teammates and us supporters down today too. Unlike last week i cannot say a refereeing decision blatently cost us the points. We seemed to play that bit better when down to 10 men after the sending off.

Lewis is no silky soccer player i know and as someone has already said he gives the pride passion and commitment that some other players have lacked playing in this league.

every one today did not seem at all at home on that plastic pitch, First touches were missed frequently and the change in the atmosphere was very apparent. David Gray had another bad game today, giving the ball away all day. McGinn was outstanding today but no one seemed to be aware that every time he got the ball there were two blue shirts around him, making it harder for him to go forward with the ball.

The wind held the ball back everytime it went high and they won nearly every ball in the air. Yet no one tried to get the ball out to the wings to play it forward.

Some of you think Lewis is not going to be here next season....... well seeing this season has not long started i wish you would give him a chance to shine this season so he is in the managers thoughts for a new contract then!

Just lay off him and let him do his job and concentrate on supporting his efforts instead of continually slagging him. its so old and so boring!!!!

Mikey09
24-09-2016, 10:35 PM
Ah... Yet another Lewis is ***** debate?! Brilliant!

night... :blah::yawn:

Michael
24-09-2016, 10:37 PM
Honestly, I think RB is probably another position we'll be looking to strengthen when (if) we get promoted.

Remember though, we did not have a single half-decent RB between Whittaker and Gray. Very much doubt we'll do better. Don't see what's wrong with Gray to be honest.

jabis
24-09-2016, 11:45 PM

£1,0000,000 player you want?

Go support hearts/rangers/Dundee/Airdrie.....oh....

Stevenson is as good as we can afford.......we're lucky to have him .

stoneyburn hibs
24-09-2016, 11:57 PM

Far too much a sensible post, I don't know how many managers that the wee man has played under, but they must see something that the "managers" on Hibs.net don't see. As for the right back position, I can't think of any better than Sir David since Whittaker.

HibsNutter
25-09-2016, 12:11 AM
Not knocking him before anyone jumps down my throat. Now maybe the chance young crane needs as Lewis will be suspended at some point!!

Knock him if you want, he deserves it. He was woeful today and almost cost us the match with his stupidity. He has been a great servant to us but he is not immune from criticism.

PompeyHibs
25-09-2016, 12:12 AM
Im not Lewis biggest fan but to be fair to the lad he is a Hibby!! He has some big pro's and some big con's

1. Won the SC = legend
2. Won the LC legend
3. Played a part in relegation = not good
4. Played part in three years in diddy league = not good
5. Works hard and cares = legend
6, struggles with crossing = not good

I think the biggest problem is... is he a left back?
Lewis is a Hibby and has his good points but are we playing him in the correct position??

Enough said
25-09-2016, 07:06 AM

Get yourself out the clouds pal. LS crossing is poor no confidence slows the play down when he gets the ball. Gives 100% can't knock him for that, but and its a big but we must do better how any professional player can cross a ball with all that time on his hands it's a big issue. Why don't you go and support another team ...

J-C
25-09-2016, 07:09 AM
Im not Lewis biggest fan but to be fair to the lad he is a Hibby!! He has some big pro's and some big con's

1. Won the SC = legend
2. Won the LC legend
3. Played a part in relegation = not good
4. Played part in three years in diddy league = not good
5. Works hard and cares = legend
6, struggles with crossing = not good

I think the biggest problem is... is he a left back?
Lewis is a Hibby and has his good points but are we playing him in the correct position??

I like Lewis but his only real problem is he is defensive minded, he started as a defensive left midfielder and played there in the 2007 league cup final, he is not natural at going forward and attacking, so really shouldn't be playing wing back. I've said on umpteen threads both Lewis and Gray struggle as wing backs and we need proper width and pace in the team to stretch these teams.

bingo70
25-09-2016, 07:13 AM
Are people really questioning why there's a Stevenson debate?!

Surely the fact he got sent off and now faces a suspension merits a thread? Without checking I'm sure there would have been one on Bartley last week too.

There's also the fact he's not been playing well recently so that alone surely merits discussion?

scoopyboy
25-09-2016, 07:45 AM
I'm pretty much neutral on Lewis Stevenson.

Great club servant and was part of two Hibs teams that gave me two of the best days in my life, for that I will always be grateful.

However he is not immune from criticism any more or any less than any other Hibs player.

This season he has struggled in my opinion and the suspension may actually work in his favour as the wee break until October 15th may give him the chance to recharge his batteries.

PiemanP
25-09-2016, 07:45 AM
I hope Crane gets a run as based on stevensons current form he can't really be any worse. We also have a real problem with not blooding in youngsters but here is the perfect opportunity.

Sammy7nil
25-09-2016, 07:53 AM

I disagree Lewis is lucky to have us, he is not a full back he s a midfield player who is not good enough to get in to our team in that position.

Marco G
25-09-2016, 08:03 AM
I like Lewis but his only real problem is he is defensive minded, he started as a defensive left midfielder and played there in the 2007 league cup final, he is not natural at going forward and attacking, so really shouldn't be playing wing back. I've said on umpteen threads both Lewis and Gray struggle as wing backs and we need proper width and pace in the team to stretch these teams.
We all see things differently I guess. To me Lewis and David Gray are both excellent attacking wing backs with great engines and have proved it time and again. They get knocked but noone ever suggests who could be as effective as they are in these positions (that we could afford to sign).

Sammy7nil
25-09-2016, 08:14 AM
We all see things differently I guess. To me Lewis and David Gray are both excellent attacking wing backs with great engines and have proved it time and again. They get knocked but noone ever suggests who could be as effective as they are in these positions (that we could afford to sign).

If we have two excellent wingbacks a 2 million pound striker a future scotland captiain in Super JM why are we spending a third year in the lower division it is obvious something is wrong. It may or may not be the wingbacks but with this squad we should win this league by 10 points.

hibee_girl
25-09-2016, 08:18 AM
It's funny how things change in the space of 3 weeks, pretty sure there were no posts calling for him to leave etc on the night of his testimonial ;)

Super_JMcGinn
25-09-2016, 08:30 AM
Get yourself out the clouds pal. LS crossing is poor no confidence slows the play down when he gets the ball. Gives 100% can't knock him for that, but and its a big but we must do better how any professional player can cross a ball with all that time on his hands it's a big issue. Why don't you go and support another team ...

You started the thread and you said you weren't knocking him, It didn't take you long to show your true colours did it.

staunchhibby
25-09-2016, 08:30 AM
Some people are like the weather.Change in an instant

bingo70
25-09-2016, 08:50 AM
It's funny how things change in the space of 3 weeks, pretty sure there were no posts calling for him to leave etc on the night of his testimonial ;)

No one is calling for him to leave now?

makaveli1875
25-09-2016, 09:01 AM

none of the above teams have spent 1 million pound on their left back

iv seen schoolkids that can put in a better cross than stevenson , he either fails to beat the 1st defender .... or beats the defender but balloons the ball 25 feet in the air and out to the corner flag

were lucky to have that in our arsenal .... are you serious ?

Baldy Foghorn
25-09-2016, 09:02 AM

Has May 21st been forgotten about already, LS is a legend, but often panned here and at games....Are all managers wrong by playing him?

scoopyboy
25-09-2016, 09:08 AM
Has May 21st been forgotten about already, LS is a legend, but often panned here and at games....Are all managers wrong by playing him?

I hear you Brockie, but does that mean that anybody that played on the 21st May shouldn't be dropped?

If so then Fraser Fyvie shouldn't have been left out the starting line up yesterday(he shouldn't have been left out in any case IMHO).

Baldy Foghorn
25-09-2016, 09:12 AM
I hear you Brockie, but does that mean that anybody that played on the 21st May shouldn't be dropped?

If so then Fraser Fyvie shouldn't have been left out the starting line up yesterday(he shouldn't have been left out in any case IMHO).

Get that too Jock....Thought FF would have started yesterday. Not saying nobody should be dropped, but the level of criticism of certain players is tiresome. We know LS strengths and capabilities......

green day
25-09-2016, 09:14 AM

Wonder if he was injured, he was my MoM v Ayr. Would have thought he offered more in an attacking sense than Bartley.

Super_JMcGinn
25-09-2016, 09:20 AM
none of the above teams have spent 1 million pound on their left back

iv seen schoolkids that can put in a better cross than stevenson , he either fails to beat the 1st defender .... or beats the defender but balloons the ball 25 feet in the air and out to the corner flag

were lucky to have that in our arsenal .... are you serious ?

How many times have you watched the Cup Final ? If you can suffer it for 94 minutes tell me anywhere in that time he did any of the above. People just can't wait for Lewis to have a dip in form to get the boot in.
His testimonial dinner was testament to how the average Hibs fan thinks of Lewis and his testimonial match will be even more so.

Baldy Foghorn
25-09-2016, 09:20 AM
Wonder if he was injured, he was my MoM v Ayr. Would have thought he offered more in an attacking sense than Bartley.

Came on yesterday and did well.....

green day
25-09-2016, 09:24 AM
Came on yesterday and did well.....

Odd then.

We need to gel properly soon, and I think Lewis needs to be part of that. The midfield must know his crossing is crap so we need a different option on the occasions that he is in that position - I.e mcginn making s wee run so he can play it short.

Coming out and spanking Dundee Utd next week would calm a lot of nerves.

PatHead
25-09-2016, 09:35 AM
Lewis will be back for the Raith game no matter what. More importantly how good is Crane? Does anyone who watches the U20s regularly have an opinion on if he is ready to start next week or will Fontaine come back in to centre with Hanlon at LB?

Our centre backs will need to be on their game as the Dundee Utd centre forward (Anreiu ?) scored twice yesterday and Murray can be a handful.

Who would our left back be up against?

Baldy Foghorn
25-09-2016, 09:59 AM
Odd then.

We need to gel properly soon, and I think Lewis needs to be part of that. The midfield must know his crossing is crap so we need a different option on the occasions that he is in that position - I.e mcginn making s wee run so he can play it short.

Coming out and spanking Dundee Utd next week would calm a lot of nerves.

:aok:

Hi Heid Yin
25-09-2016, 10:13 AM
If we have two excellent wingbacks a 2 million pound striker a future scotland captiain in Super JM why are we spending a third year in the lower division it is obvious something is wrong. It may or may not be the wingbacks but with this squad we should win this league by 10 points.

:top marks

Hi Heid Yin
25-09-2016, 10:20 AM

There is no need for the snidey responses to my posts. A sound, reasoned argument in Stevensons favour is all that any of us ask for.
So far, you have offered nothing constructive in his defence.
To suggest that he is as good as we can afford is a poor reason for him to retain that left back slot, especially when it has become a weak link and next to nothing is generated in terms of goal scoring opportunities.

s.a.m
25-09-2016, 10:26 AM

:nerd: Because the Leagues' composition isn't based on quality, but on a limited promotion / relegation basis: if merit was the deciding factor, then you could probably swap a number of the Premiership (or whatever they're calling it) teams for Championship ones. We've had the misfortune to be fighting for promotion at the same time as other similarly or better resourced teams, and this could be happening for the foreseeable future unless the top league is increased, with at least two 'big' teams competing for promotion at the same time.

greenlex
25-09-2016, 10:34 AM
There's not many left backs we could afford I can think of playing in Scotland I'd have in front of Stevenson.

bingo70
25-09-2016, 10:39 AM
There's not many left backs we could afford playing in Scotland I'd have in front of Stevenson.

I think this is the problem though, he's not being asked to be just a left back.

As a left back is agree, he's more than fine.

As a creative attacking winger he's not very good IMO and right now he's being asked to do that as well.

My preference would be for us to change our system and allow him to be a full back, failing that I'd prefer us to have someone better going forward, even if that meant they maybe weren't as good defensively as him

The Leith Dutch
25-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Hanlon is a centre half so I'm not sure why people think he'd be able to play left wing back when Stevenson, who is a good left back, struggles in the more advanced role.

Instead I'd give Crane the opportunity to start a league game for the first time and keep the Hanlon/McGregor pairing in the middle of our defence to minimise the changes at the back.

I seem to recall he started as a left back which is probably where the idea comes from.
That said he was never a wing back but a good old fashioned left back.

I'd completely agree - keep Hanlon/McGregor pairing together.

Trying 3-5-2 is an option but Boyle is a right winger - Crane I don't know enough about: pure left back or could he play in a more attacking way? If not, 3 at the back and Harris and Boyle?

jdships
25-09-2016, 10:45 AM
The two " yellow cards" must have been " Manna from Heaven" for the " Anti Stevie Brigade"
This will be used against him for at least the foreseeable future or until they find another culprit /victim
:rolleyes:

superfurryhibby
25-09-2016, 10:51 AM
:nerd: Because the Leagues' composition isn't based on quality, but on a limited promotion / relegation basis: if merit was the deciding factor, then you could probably swap a number of the Premiership (or whatever they're calling it) teams for Championship ones. We've had the misfortune to be fighting for promotion at the same time as other similarly or better resourced teams, and this could be happening for the foreseeable future unless the top league is increased, with at least two 'big' teams competing for promotion at the same time.

How did Hearts and Rangers manage it with comparative ease, with arguably lesser players? Is it that our players lack the right mindset or our managers lack the necessary tactical accumen to get the best out of them.

My take is that in one off games a decent championship side can produce a result against the Spl sides, but overall their is a gulf in class between the leagues and class, properly directed, should always prevail. Still early days, but the failings of the previous two seasons still reamin for all to see, as do the evident strengths. ****** if I can provide the answer, but I really hope Lennon can over the next few months.

makaveli1875
25-09-2016, 10:59 AM
There's not many left backs we could afford I can think of playing in Scotland I'd have in front of Stevenson.

are we only allowed to sign left backs from scotland :confused:

marinello59
25-09-2016, 11:06 AM

Given the standing of our game you have to pay a premium to attract quality players to our league.

cmcd
25-09-2016, 11:15 AM

Agree with all this

cmcd
25-09-2016, 11:17 AM
Why does Lewis deserve his own post near enough every week on here.

He let himself down badly today by getting that second booking after the stupid first one, which i felt was not a booking at all!

I have no doubt that he will be going through agony at letting his teammates and us supporters down today too. Unlike last week i cannot say a refereeing decision blatently cost us the points. We seemed to play that bit better when down to 10 men after the sending off.

Lewis is no silky soccer player i know and as someone has already said he gives the pride passion and commitment that some other players have lacked playing in this league.

every one today did not seem at all at home on that plastic pitch, First touches were missed frequently and the change in the atmosphere was very apparent. David Gray had another bad game today, giving the ball away all day. McGinn was outstanding today but no one seemed to be aware that every time he got the ball there were two blue shirts around him, making it harder for him to go forward with the ball.

The wind held the ball back everytime it went high and they won nearly every ball in the air. Yet no one tried to get the ball out to the wings to play it forward.

Some of you think Lewis is not going to be here next season....... well seeing this season has not long started i wish you would give him a chance to shine this season so he is in the managers thoughts for a new contract then!

Just lay off him and let him do his job and concentrate on supporting his efforts instead of continually slagging him. its so old and so boring!!!!

Good post

greenlex
25-09-2016, 11:17 AM

My point is our rivals don't seem to have the edge in this area.

cmcd
25-09-2016, 11:22 AM
How did Hearts and Rangers manage it with comparative ease, with arguably lesser players? Is it that our players lack the right mindset or our managers lack the necessary tactical accumen to get the best out of them.

My take is that in one off games a decent championship side can produce a result against the Spl sides, but overall their is a gulf in class between the leagues and class, properly directed, should always prevail. Still early days, but the failings of the previous two seasons still reamin for all to see, as do the evident strengths. ****** if I can provide the answer, but I really hope Lennon can over the next few months.

In cup competitions last season I can remember us beating at least 5 higher league teams ???

superfurryhibby
25-09-2016, 12:05 PM
In cup competitions last season I can remember us beating at least 5 higher league teams ???

Aye, that is the conundrum. I was referring to our league performances, the top flight sides play a different way and our successes against them put our inadequacies v our peers into even sharoer relief.

Dashing Bob S
25-09-2016, 12:42 PM
Fed up with Mister Nice Guy Stevenson. Bin him and give young Crane a chance.

No, I'm just attention seeking. Ignore.

J-C
25-09-2016, 12:44 PM
Fed up with Mister Nice Guy Stevenson. Bin him and give young Crane a chance.

No, I'm just attention seeking. Ignore.

You're a naughty man Bob :greengrin

Jones28
25-09-2016, 12:54 PM
I hope Crane gets a run as based on stevensons current form he can't really be any worse. We also have a real problem with not blooding in youngsters but here is the perfect opportunity.

Yepp, agree with this. A club like us who have the pedigree of producing young players that we have should have been much more productive and pro-active in terms of introducing them to first team football. Cummings and Forster are the last 2 to properly break through and eatablish themselves as first team players. Harris and Stanton have had mixed fortunes.

Crane and Martin are 2 that I'd like to see making more appearances this term.

As for Stevenson, I love the guy and he is forever a Hibs legend, however his performance against Ayr and his sending off surely merits someone else getting a wee run of games.

Eyrie
25-09-2016, 01:23 PM
I think this is the problem though, he's not being asked to be just a left back.

As a left back is agree, he's more than fine.

As a creative attacking winger he's not very good IMO and right now he's being asked to do that as well.

My preference would be for us to change our system and allow him to be a full back, failing that I'd prefer us to have someone better going forward, even if that meant they maybe weren't as good defensively as him

I blame Stubbs and Lennon.

If Stevenson's flaws as a wing back are evident to everyone on here, then why didn't Stubbs or Lennon bring in someone better suited to the role? And if they couldn't find someone, then why persist with a formation which players aren't suited to?

Stevenson is fine if used as a proper left back who overlaps occasionally.

Super_JMcGinn
25-09-2016, 01:37 PM

If Stevenson's flaws as a wing back are evident to everyone on here, then why didn't Stubbs or Lennon bring in someone better suited to the role? And if they couldn't find someone, then why persist with a formation which players aren't suited to?

Maybe it's everyone on here who's wrong? Just floating it out there.

1987kev
25-09-2016, 01:43 PM

Proper left back??? Aye maybe about 10 year ago in the today's game your full backs have got athletic pacey and get forward. Lewis is squad player at best time to move on

ahibby
25-09-2016, 02:03 PM
He has plenty assists in the last few seasons. I don't know for sure but I'd wager as much as Gray on the right.

You should never wager if you don't know for sure; I could do with remembering that too, trust me. Gray is a far more complete footballer who scores too. I believe Gray has scored more in a couple of seasons than Lewis has in his career with Hibs (only counting competitive first team matches). They shouldn't be compared. Lewis has been reliable and steady but apart from the League Cup final (which we won) and when under Maurice Malpas (who knows how to play that position well), Lewis has only been reliable and steady.

greenlex
25-09-2016, 02:15 PM
You should never wager if you don't know for sure; I could do with remembering that too, trust me. Gray is a far more complete footballer who scores too. I believe Gray has scored more in a couple of seasons than Lewis has in his career with Hibs (only counting competitive first team matches). They shouldn't be compared. Lewis has been reliable and steady but apart from the League Cup final (which we won) and when under Maurice Malpas (who knows how to play that position well), Lewis has only been reliable and steady.
The post your quoting was a reply to lack of creativity down the left hand side. Not arguing with the goals but would like to see the assist comparison.

Eyrie
25-09-2016, 03:50 PM
Proper left back??? Aye maybe about 10 year ago in the today's game your full backs have got athletic pacey and get forward. Lewis is squad player at best time to move on

I said that he can overlap occasionally. That is very different to expecting him to be the main provider of width on the left, and there aren't that many teams who do expect only their full backs to be that width. In most cases there is another player further up the park to do that and the full back then combines with him. If we had someone in front of Stevenson that he could assist then his attacking deficiencies would be largely irrelevant.

PISTOL1875
25-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Yeah yeah the same old Lewis Stevenson debate. Lewis has been a servant to bbc the club over the years and gives 100% and you can't fault his attitude Tec Tec but he's just simply not good enough in the role that he plays. One of the main roles in his position is to deliver decent crosses when he gets into the final third but he's just not up to that task. Legs give Crane a chance and see if he can do better.

jabis
25-09-2016, 08:48 PM
There is no need for the snidey responses to my posts. A sound, reasoned argument in Stevensons favour is all that any of us ask for.
So far, you have offered nothing constructive in his defence.
To suggest that he is as good as we can afford is a poor reason for him to retain that left back slot, especially when it has become a weak link and next to nothing is generated in terms of goal scoring opportunities.

1.nothing "Sidney",apologies if it came over like that.
2.As for the teams mentioned,they all overspent and cheated.
3. You are wrong.
4.meant snidey,apologies to Sidney.

Marco G
25-09-2016, 09:05 PM
In today's game? So please tell me who meets your standards? Because if its time to move on I presume you have some good suggestions?

Hi Heid Yin
25-09-2016, 09:18 PM
1.nothing "Sidney",apologies if it came over like that.
2.As for the teams mentioned,they all overspent and cheated.
3. You are wrong.
4.meant snidey,apologies to Sidney.

No sweat.
It's not a case of being right or wrong. We both have our opinions and perspectives and are simply expressing them.

jabis
25-09-2016, 09:34 PM
No sweat.
It's not a case of being right or wrong. We both have our opinions and perspectives and are simply expressing them.

Correct🏆

scoopyboy
26-09-2016, 11:59 AM

I also would give Crane the nod at left back however it will be Hanlon that fills the role especially if Fontaine is fit enough to be in the squad.

My spy in the bushes at East Mains tells me Paul was nearly left back on Saturday.

Lancs Harp
26-09-2016, 12:15 PM
Not in favour of moving our best centre back to the left back position and replacing him in the middle with the poorest of our three main centre backs. To me thats just weakening the back four not strengthening it. Fontaine is just too slow for me. Brave and would never question his committment but just too slow.

We dont want to be sticking a sticking plaster over a perceived problem at left back by creating a potentionally bigger problem in the centre of the defence. Lewis is struggling a bit at the moment but for me play Crane or persevere with Lewis.

scoopyboy
26-09-2016, 12:56 PM
Not in favour of moving our best centre back to the left back position and replacing him in the middle with the poorest of our three main centre backs. To me thats just weakening the back four not strengthening it. Fontaine is just too slow for me. Brave and would never question his committment but just too slow.

We dont want to be sticking a sticking plaster over a perceived problem at left back by creating a potentionally bigger problem in the centre of the defence. Lewis is struggling a bit at the moment but for me play Crane or persevere with Lewis.

For Sunday persevering with Lewis isn't an option.

BSEJVT
26-09-2016, 02:29 PM
Having not watched Hibs much for a couple of years (at which time I thought Stevenson was really poor) until last year when I thought he had improved, its fair to say I have mixed feelings on the guys abilities.

IMO he has been awful this season and appears badly lacking in confidence as a result.

I think those that contrast him and Gray though are missing the point, Gray is capable of running beyond players whereas Lewis is not.

Most of Gary's better delivery's come from near the by line having gotten past the defence whereas Lewis's come from much deeper and consequently have far more chance of being cut out.

Watching replays of last season's goals, it was astonishing to me how many Lewis created.

Right now I wouldn't be picking him, but then I don't see the alternatives in training every day like Neil Lennon does.

Scoopboy's comments are really interesting, with that and the changes made to the team on Saturday it seems that the days of players being virtually guaranteed a game regardless of form are over.

(Marvin Bartley possibly excepted)

I think we might see Lennon going back to 3 5 2 on Sunday

Brooster
26-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Perfect chance to phase Stevenson out of the team and introduce his replacement....Callum Crane. I was beginning to wonder how bad he had to be to get dropped.

Hi Heid Yin
26-09-2016, 10:11 PM
Perfect chance to phase Stevenson out of the team and introduce his replacement....Callum Crane. I was beginning to wonder how bad he had to be to get dropped.

I respect your logic and endorse it.
We have failed for the last 2 years in the 2nd tier to create constant threats and goal scoring opportunities down the left hand side and we simply can't allow, even for sentimental reasons, weak links to continue.
The The Rangers wingbacks, in last season automatic promotion winning season, attacked down both flanks at every opportunity and not only created goal scoring opportunities but scored goals themselves. Gray at least takes on a man and gets past him and delivers a cross which beats the first man - Stevenson, in comparision, is ineffectual and thus a "weak link".
Giving of your best every game and grafting away should be given's for every professional footballer - Stevenson can't be faulted in either respect, but this Hibs team requires more if it is to achieve its aim of automatic promotion.
Come on Lennon: get it sorted!

Stevie Reid
26-09-2016, 10:21 PM
I respect your logic and endorse it.
We have failed for the last 2 years in the 2nd tier to create constant threats and goal scoring opportunities down the left hand side and we simply can't allow, even for sentimental reasons, weak links to continue.
The The Rangers wingbacks, in last season automatic promotion winning season, attacked down both flanks at every opportunity and not only created goal scoring opportunities but scored goals themselves. Gray at least takes on a man and gets past him and delivers a cross which beats the first man - Stevenson, in comparision, is ineffectual and thus a "weak link".
Giving of your best every game and grafting away should be given's for every professional footballer - Stevenson can't be faulted in either respect, but this Hibs team requires more if it is to achieve its aim of automatic promotion.
Come on Lennon: get it sorted!

David Gray and Lewis Stevenson had seven assists each last season.

FitbaFolkKen
27-09-2016, 01:43 AM
David Gray and Lewis Stevenson had seven assists each last season.

I have 8 each however Stevenson also had an extra 800 minutes on the park.

More concerning and I think what should be highlighted is that Rangers fullbacks last season

Tavernier scored 15 and had 23 assists - 4494 minutes played
Wallace scored 9 and had 13 assists. - 4450 minutes played

The season before Hearts had

Paterson scored 7 with 9 assists - 2691 minutes played
Eckersley scored 2 with 5 assists - 2278 minutes played

It is clear to see the winners of the league the last two seasons have had more effective attacking fullbacks, yet we play a system that should encourage the fullback to attack and generate chances and that isn't happening.

The problem we are comparing Gray and Stevenson with each other, last season Rangers fullbacks had a hand in 60 goals. Ours by comparison 19. That tells you why we are in this league and they are in the league above.

If someone can tell me why that isn't an area we should try and improve other than they are legends etc... or I am a Stevenson basher I will be amazed.

J-C
27-09-2016, 08:24 AM

More concerning and I think what should be highlighted is that Rangers fullbacks last season

It is clear to see the winners of the league the last two seasons have had more effective attacking fullbacks, yet we play a system that should encourage the fullback to attack and generate chances and that isn't happening.

The problem we are comparing Gray and Stevenson with each other, last season Rangers fullbacks had a hand in 60 goals. Ours by comparison 19. That tells you why we are in this league and they are in the league above.

If someone can tell me why that isn't an area we should try and improve other than they are legends etc... or I am a Stevenson basher I will be amazed.

Those stats also tell you that we as a team played with a diamond and we also played at such a snails pace at times that the opposition were never tested enough because we gave them the opportunity to always get themselves into a defensive shape due to our slow build up play.

Stats are all well and good but Hearts and Rangers also played with wingers, they also played with a high tempo putting the other teams on the back foot, we don't have wingers and we play a slow build up possession game, the quicker we get proper width and tempo into this team the better.

Hi Heid Yin
27-09-2016, 08:52 AM

I couldn't agree more with the bit in bold.:top marks

FitbaFolkKen
27-09-2016, 11:13 AM
Those stats also tell you that we as a team played with a diamond and we also played at such a snails pace at times that the opposition were never tested enough because we gave them the opportunity to always get themselves into a defensive shape due to our slow build up play.

Stats are all well and good but Hearts and Rangers also played with wingers, they also played with a high tempo putting the other teams on the back foot, we don't have wingers and we play a slow build up possession game, the quicker we get proper width and tempo into this team the better.

I would have thought playing without wingers would have made our full backs more active in the final third, or at least should have. We also used the 3-5-2 a number of times last season which would have pushed these guys further forward.

I agree about playing with more width and looking at the stats Tavernier and Wallace had the most assists of the Rangers squad, I think our guys could be contributing more.

J-C
27-09-2016, 11:27 AM
I would have thought playing without wingers would have made our full backs more active in the final third, or at least should have. We also used the 3-5-2 a number of times last season which would have pushed these guys further forward.

I agree about playing with more width and looking at the stats Tavernier and Wallace had the most assists of the Rangers squad, I think our guys could be contributing more.

Wingers also help out defensively and work with a wingbacks, 3-5-2 needs a very good DM to cover the wingbacks, plus with 3 at the back, wingbacks have less defending to worry about.

SRHibs
27-09-2016, 11:35 AM
Wingers also help out defensively and work with a wingbacks, 3-5-2 needs a very good DM to cover the wingbacks, plus with 3 at the back, wingbacks have less defending to worry about.

The defensive cover (or lack of) is an irrelevance IMO. Stevenson is getting the chance to go forward, the problem is his delivery into the box and his inability to beat his man. That said, I've seen McGinn track back numerous times to cover Stevenson while he pushes forward to skelp another ball into the car park. I also think getting a FB with a bit more pace would help increase the tempo and our ability to break.

matty_f
27-09-2016, 11:51 AM

I think this is an interesting point. I was listening to a podcast yesterday (World Football Index). Stevie Grieve was talking to Mark Wotte about integrating youth players into the first team and having an efficient and effective youth policy.

Wotte highlighted that in Scotland the preference is to go with experience as mistakes are written off as 'just a mistake' whereas with a young player it's attributed to inexperience.

He spoke about the Dutch league and specifically Ajax, where the policy is that if a young player coming through could play in the first team then the coach is encouraged to sell the established player and give game time and experience to the youth.

I like Stevenson, have done for years and have no qualms about him keeping his place in the team, at the same time we have to look at improving every position and look at giving youth players the exposure to playing at this level, otherwise it's pointless having a youth team.

This could be Crane's opportunity to get a taste of the expectations at Hibs, it's up to him to grab it.

NAE NOOKIE
27-09-2016, 12:27 PM
I didn't see anything of the QOTS game, so don't know how Lewis played or what his two bookings were like, so I wont comment on that.

But I have seen just about every game he has played for Hibs at Easter Road since he came into the first team and his good qualities have never changed, 100% effort all the time every time. But as an attacking full back he is extremely limited, he cant beat a man and he is an average crosser of the ball at best, it is burying your head in the sand not to face the fact that his need to play the ball infield on 60% of his possessions slows the team down and takes the momentum out of our breaks forward and that 80% of his crosses that do make it into the box are from 20 yards out, which makes them meat and drink for even average centre halves.

Its not just this .... How often does Lewis play a one two with a supporting player and get himself into the box in a dangerous position, it rarely if ever happens, contrast that with the likes of David Murphy who did that all the time and as a result was a hell of a dangerous weapon.

If you are playing a system where you do not rely on wingbacks as your main focus of attack then Lewis limitations can be accommodated because he brings fight and energy to his role as a left back, but in the system we play you must have a left back who can beat a man and put in a decent cross or have the savvy to play a one two and beat the right back that way, Lewis can do none of these things with anything like the regularity you need from a wingback.

Lewis Stevenson is and always will be a Hibs legend, his place in the annuals of the clubs history is cemented in ...... but even legends get replaced eventually and the honest truth is that if we are to continue with the wingback system we simply have to look for one who is better in the final third of the pitch than Lewis.

ancient hibee
27-09-2016, 12:29 PM

Stats can prove anything.Tavernier took direct free kicks from all over the park.One of the complaints on here is the failure to take chances.How many have been missed that would have added considerably to the number of assists by our players?

J-C
27-09-2016, 02:04 PM
I didn't see anything of the QOTS game, so don't know how Lewis played or what his two bookings were like, so I wont comment on that.

But I have seen just about every game he has played for Hibs at Easter Road since he came into the first team and his good qualities have never changed, 100% effort all the time every time. But as an attacking full back he is extremely limited, he cant beat a man and he is an average crosser of the ball at best, it is burying your head in the sand not to face the fact that his need to play the ball infield on 60% of his possessions slows the team down and takes the momentum out of our breaks forward and that 80% of his crosses that do make it into the box are from 20 yards out, which makes them meat and drink for even average centre halves.

Its not just this .... How often does Lewis play a one two with a supporting player and get himself into the box in a dangerous position, it rarely if ever happens, contrast that with the likes of David Murphy who did that all the time and as a result was a hell of a dangerous weapon.

If you are playing a system where you do not rely on wingbacks as your main focus of attack then Lewis limitations can be accommodated because he brings fight and energy to his role as a left back, but in the system we play you must have a left back who can beat a man and put in a decent cross or have the savvy to play a one two and beat the right back that way, Lewis can do none of these things with anything like the regularity you need from a wingback.

Lewis Stevenson is and always will be a Hibs legend, his place in the annuals of the clubs history is cemented in ...... but even legends get replaced eventually and the honest truth is that if we are to continue with the wingback system we simply have to look for one who is better in the final third of the pitch than Lewis.

I've said on numerous threads that Lewis will never be a wingback as it's just not in his DNA to be attack minded enough to do it. Lewis is a defensive minded left midfielder who can also play at left back, in the 2007 cup final he played just in front of Murphy and allowed him to attack by slotting in to cover when Murphy went forward. Because Stubbs went with the diamond and wingbacks, we've persisted in using Lewis in this role, a role he finds uncomfortable, we should've been looking to add a left winger to play just in front of Lewis and let him defend which he is very good at.

On the other side Gray started out playing as a right winger, so attacking and crossing is much more natural to him, you can see by the amount of times Gray gets himself into the box during a game.

So instead of getting rid of Lewis why don't we allow him to play as a natural FB and get in a proper winger who can attack and cross properly.

Hiber-nation
27-09-2016, 02:27 PM
I've said on numerous threads that Lewis will never be a wingback as it's just not in his DNA to be attack minded enough to do it. Lewis is a defensive minded left midfielder who can also play at left back, in the 2007 cup final he played just in front of Murphy and allowed him to attack by slotting in to cover when Murphy went forward. Because Stubbs went with the diamond and wingbacks, we've persisted in using Lewis in this role, a role he finds uncomfortable, we should've been looking to add a left winger to play just in front of Lewis and let him defend which he is very good at.

On the other side Gray started out playing as a right winger, so attacking and crossing is much more natural to him, you can see by the amount of times Gray gets himself into the box during a game.

So instead of getting rid of Lewis why don't we allow him to play as a natural FB and get in a proper winger who can attack and cross properly.

Whatever his best position is, Lewis's form dipped when Malonga left. They linked up really well.

bigwheel
27-09-2016, 02:53 PM
Whatever his best position is, Lewis's form dipped when Malonga left. They linked up really well.

...Lewis has had some strong performances this season already...not even close to being true

Hiber-nation
27-09-2016, 06:49 PM
...Lewis has had some strong performances this season already...not even close to being true

I was talking about back in January. I'm a huge fan of Lewis by the way.

bigwheel
27-09-2016, 07:04 PM
I was talking about back in January. I'm a huge fan of Lewis by the way.

[emoji106][emoji106]. I thought you were including this season ...Malonga often drifted left. , probably why Lewis enjoyed linking with him ...

FitbaFolkKen
27-09-2016, 09:01 PM
Stats can prove anything.Tavernier took direct free kicks from all over the park.One of the complaints on here is the failure to take chances.How many have been missed that would have added considerably to the number of assists by our players?

"stats can prove anything" - nice dismissal of my post with no counter evidence.

I don't know but all teams miss chances etc.... My point is that their Fullbacks last season were involved in more than three times the number of goals than ours were. Now whether you think our strikers may have missed more chances than they should have was it a 40 goal difference?

If our full backs are being asked to create chances from out wide they are not doing it. If they are being asked to fulfil roles that are not natural to them and their best fit should we be looking elsewhere?

Eyrie
27-09-2016, 10:04 PM
"stats can prove anything" - nice dismissal of my post with no counter evidence.

I don't know but all teams miss chances etc.... My point is that their Fullbacks last season were involved in more than three times the number of goals than ours were. Now whether you think our strikers may have missed more chances than they should have was it a 40 goal difference?

If our full backs are being asked to create chances from out wide they are not doing it. If they are being asked to fulfil roles that are not natural to them and their best fit should we be looking elsewhere?

Yes, we should look for players who are better suited to the role demanded of Gray and Stevenson, but until we sign such players it is up to the manager to alter his tactics to suit the players that he has available.

Stubbs failed to do this, so let's hope Lennon is more flexible.

Super_JMcGinn
27-09-2016, 10:16 PM

The long knives appear to be out for Lewey once more. You are suggesting trying out an inexperienced youngster rather than play Lewey ? I despair at times I really do.

FitbaFolkKen
27-09-2016, 11:27 PM
The long knives appear to be out for Lewey once more. You are suggesting trying out an inexperienced youngster rather than play Lewey ? I despair at times I really do.

He is suspended, surely the perfect opportunity to give a youngster a chance and if he does well then he should keep the jersey.

blackpoolhibs
28-09-2016, 06:27 AM
I used to think Stevenson was not good enough, that went on for a long long time. Yet gradually over time he won me over, and in my opinion he deserved his place in the team.

Although in this league our full backs are asked to do a bit more than just defend, and both our full backs are more comfortable defending than they are creating.

If Stubbs did not fancy Crane at any time last season, and if Lennon plays Hanlon left back in the next game, i think we might have an insight into how good the lad is and how ready he is in the management teams eyes.

scoopyboy
28-09-2016, 07:10 AM

He can't play.

Do you suggest we just go with ten players??????

J-C
28-09-2016, 07:28 AM
Yes, we should look for players who are better suited to the role demanded of Gray and Stevenson, but until we sign such players it is up to the manager to alter his tactics to suit the players that he has available.

Stubbs failed to do this, so let's hope Lennon is more flexible.

This.

Play wide players capable of creating, crossing and beating his man and let Lewis and Gray defend, they can still contribute to the attacking side when needed but are not the main guys to do so, just look at Aberdeen with Hayes and McGinn.

matty_f
28-09-2016, 07:28 AM
He can't play.

Nine, as she'll probably want us to ditch Hanlon as well. :greengrin

s.a.m
28-09-2016, 07:33 AM
This.

Play wide players capable of creating, crossing and beating his man and let Lewis and Gray defend, they can still contribute to the attacking side when needed but are not the main guys to do so, just look at Aberdeen with Hayes and McGinn.

:agree: Me too.

Eyrie
28-09-2016, 07:03 PM
He can't play.

We tried that in our last two games and it didn't work.

greenlex
28-09-2016, 07:31 PM
Nine, as she'll probably want us to ditch Hanlon as well. :greengrin

Just beat me to it.

Tyler Durden
28-09-2016, 08:33 PM

You may have said it on numerous threads but it's not strictly true. Lewis came through under Mowbray as a left back in the youth team. Yes he had a good season under Collins as a midfielder but majority of his starts for Hibs have been at left back. It's not a role he's uncomfortable in!

He's capable of attacking and contributing assists, especially in this league. Last few years he's done this plenty of times, this year he has been poor. That's the bottom line, he cost us Ayr's winner and then sent off last week. If he comes right back into the team next week he'll be very lucky

Super_JMcGinn
28-09-2016, 08:43 PM
He can't play.

That's not what you said though was it, you're talking about phasing him out the team and wondering how bad he has to be to get dropped.

Jonnyboy
28-09-2016, 09:08 PM
That's not what you said though was it, you're talking about phasing him out the team and wondering how bad he has to be to get dropped.

Except Scoopyboy didn't say any such thing

Super_JMcGinn
28-09-2016, 09:12 PM
Except Scoopyboy didn't say any such thing
My apologies scoopyboy, been a long day. Over to you Mr Brooster.

Brooster
28-09-2016, 09:21 PM

I stand by my statement. Stevenson is a liability and should be nowhere near the team on current form.

scoopyboy
28-09-2016, 09:25 PM

apology accepted. :greengrin

Hi Heid Yin
29-09-2016, 10:28 PM
So, it looks like Hanlon will be slotting into the vacated left back slot for the visit of Dundee United, with Foster partnering McGregor.
This is all very well, but it merely highlights the lack of competition to Lewis Stevenson for that left back slot. Eardley, at least, has been drafted in to cover for Gray, but we have no natural cover for Stevenson - or at least cover with good experience behind him.
This for me is unacceptable, because, despite performing poorly to average this season to date, Stevenson will simply serve his suspension and then resume business as usual and continue to offer next to nothing as a wing back, although we can expect the usual graft and effort - the minimum every pro should give. Surely Lennon is looking to address this sooner rather than later.
Are there any decent wing backs available who happen to be out of contract, anybody?

J-C
29-09-2016, 11:18 PM
So, it looks like Hanlon will be slotting into the vacated left back slot for the visit of Dundee United, with Foster partnering McGregor.
This is all very well, but it merely highlights the lack of competition to Lewis Stevenson for that left back slot. Eardley, at least, has been drafted in to cover for Gray, but we have no natural cover for Stevenson - or at least cover with good experience behind him.
This for me is unacceptable, because, despite performing poorly to average this season to date, Stevenson will simply serve his suspension and then resume business as usual and continue to offer next to nothing as a wing back, although we can expect the usual graft and effort - the minimum every pro should give. Surely Lennon is looking to address this sooner rather than later.
Are there any decent wing backs available who happen to be out of contract, anybody?

Paul has a lot of experience playing at LB, there's been no panic to get cover because young Crane can play in the diddy cup and league cup while Hanlon can cover in case of injury or suspension.

Hi Heid Yin
29-09-2016, 11:29 PM
Paul has a lot of experience playing at LB, there's been no panic to get cover because young Crane can play in the diddy cup and league cup while Hanlon can cover in case of injury or suspension.

Maybe I'm asking too much, namely, 2 proper left backs, as opposed to shifting players around and disrupting the balance. Yes, I know that Hanlon has played left back, but I still feel that we need a natural and experienced left back and leave Hanlon in his best and favoured position.

greenlex
30-09-2016, 06:19 AM
Maybe I'm asking too much, namely, 2 proper left backs, as opposed to shifting players around and disrupting the balance. Yes, I know that Hanlon has played left back, but I still feel that we need a natural and experienced left back and leave Hanlon in his best and favoured position.

There's cover there in Crane and Hanlon. we're not exactly rolling in dosh

Brightside
30-09-2016, 06:43 AM
I'd rather play Crane at LB than Hanlon. Would be foolish to move our best CB out of position when we have a decent LB ready to start.

The Leith Dutch
30-09-2016, 06:59 AM
I'd rather play Crane at LB than Hanlon. Would be foolish to move our best CB out of position when we have a decent LB ready to start.

This makes more sense to me.

Playing Crane: at worst we get a roasting on their right flank; at best we get someone to challenge Lewis Stevenson and possibly improve what's clearly a divisive position in the team among the support.

Playing Hanlonn: at worst we're weak in the centre and Crane wonders why he's at the club; At best we maybe have Forster pushing to start at Centre Back.

Pete
30-09-2016, 07:20 AM
I'd rather have Paul playing on the left in a formation that doesn't have him, and therefore Gray, crossing the halfway line.

Their strength is up front and they will roast us if we simply swap Lewis for Hanlon.

Playing Crane as a direct swap is something I wouldn't do but I wouldn't rule out Lennon throwing youngsters into the team in times of need.

greenlex
30-09-2016, 09:50 AM

I agree and I reckon if it had been anyone other than D Utd he would probably get the nod.

SunshineOnLeith
30-09-2016, 02:07 PM

We have a first team left back (Stevenson), a young left back (Crane), and a centre half who can cover left back if needed (Hanlon).

That's a much better use of the wage budget than using two 'first team' salaries for one position where, barring injuries and suspension, managers don't tend to rotate selection.

erin go bragh
30-09-2016, 04:00 PM
I'd rather we play three at the back with Gray and Boyle as the wingbacks .
Moving our best centre half to play leftback is crazy .

easty
30-09-2016, 04:05 PM
If Crane is ever going to be good enough, then he should be playing on Sunday. He's 20 year old already. I'm not saying it's going to be an easy game, but we're playing the weakest Dundee Utd team for a long time. If your back up left back, isn't thought of as good enough to deal with the threat of this Dundee Utd team, then that's not very promising.

I'd have Hanlon at centre half every week, he's the best one we have, doesn't make sense to move him in my opinion.

thebakerboy
30-09-2016, 05:06 PM
Can Eardley not play left back as well as right back.

barcahibs
30-09-2016, 05:10 PM
If Crane isn't good enough to step up as cover for a game in the first division why is he at the club?

No need to be looking to buy players imo unless what we have isn't good enough.

Hi Heid Yin
30-09-2016, 05:11 PM
Can Eardley not play left back as well as right back.

The same thought went through my mind, but I assumed that Lennon doesn't fancy him there.

B.H.F.C
30-09-2016, 05:15 PM
If Crane isn't good enough to step up as cover for a game in the first division why is he at the club?

No need to be looking to buy players imo unless what we have isn't good enough.

Agree with this actually. At an age where he needs to start playing.

KWJ
01-10-2016, 03:21 PM
The same thought went through my mind, but I assumed that Lennon doesn't fancy him there.

Lennon has said that'd he'll be in the squad but I'd imagine as a right back.

KdyHby
30-11-2016, 08:47 PM
Vote for Lewis: http://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/more-sport/vote-now-for-your-sports-star-of-the-year-1-4296370

Stantons Angel
01-12-2016, 05:48 PM

For goodness sake! Why on earth are you posting this rubbish now, when we have such a big game tomorrow?

Why on earth pick him out yet again when there will probably be others due suspension before him and they too will have other players waiting in the wings to take their places ..............

lay off the laddie and let him concentrate on his game.

All our squad have their own limitations isnt that why our top goal scorer is still sitting on the bench every week or cant you see that?

hibee_girl
01-12-2016, 06:01 PM
For goodness sake! Why on earth are you posting this rubbish now, when we have such a big game tomorrow?

Why on earth pick him out yet again when there will probably be others due suspension before him and they too will have other players waiting in the wings to take their places ..............

lay off the laddie and let him concentrate on his game.

All our squad have their own limitations isnt that why our top goal scorer is still sitting on the bench every week or cant you see that?

It's an old post...

Stantons Angel
02-12-2016, 08:02 AM
It's an old post...

never noticed that when i read it!!! Too angry at the title and thought that he had been singled out yet again!

Thanks for pointing that out...... Silly me again1!

HibbiesandtheBaddies
02-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Vote for Lewis: http://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/more-sport/vote-now-for-your-sports-star-of-the-year-1-4296370

And you can add extra votes if yo use different browsers, eg vote on Internet Explorer, then on Chrome, etc

Viva_Palmeiras
02-12-2016, 11:18 AM

It's all about context.