PDA

View Full Version : That All-Too Familiar Theme

Hi Heid Yin
24-09-2016, 05:22 PM
At half time the BBC stats showed that our boys were dominating possession, 69% to 31% and failing to convert chances created into goals. This all-too familiar theme has been going on for far too long - resulting in us being part of a pack of promotion hunters instead of being the team to chase. Putting aside the fact that, again, we are down to 10 men -our failings are there for all to see.
We have without question the most talented squad of players in this division -not many teams will dominate us, but Neil Lennon really needs to get the finger out and address our Achiles heel - our inability to convert chances created into goals and the over reliance on Jason Cummings for our goals -today's game highlighted the issue that if he is not scoring, then the team is not scoring!

PISTOL1875
24-09-2016, 05:30 PM
At half time the BBC stats showed that our boys were dominating possession, 69% to 31% and failing to convert chances created into goals. This all-too familiar theme has been going on for far too long - resulting in us being part of a pack of promotion hunters instead of being the team to chase. Putting aside the fact that, again, we are down to 10 men -our failings are there for all to see.
We have without question the most talented squad of players in this division -not many teams will dominate us, but Neil Lennon really needs to get the finger out and address our Achiles heel - our inability to convert chances created into goals and the over reliance on Jason Cummings for our goals -today's game highlighted the issue that if he is not scoring, then the team is not scoring!

Our inibility to convert chances

Our lack of width

Our lack of pace

Our lack of a decent shape

Sound filmiar ???

Ozyhibby
24-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Lack of goals. I don't care how we play to get them but we need to start scoring goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
24-09-2016, 05:39 PM
There's nothing to worry about. The last 2 games have seen us go down to 10 men, up until that point we had a 100% record and had scored a few goals. Keep the faith.

Highland_Hibee
24-09-2016, 05:42 PM
There can't be many team dominate games as much as us and fail to win them. I really think it's mostly down to our midfielders being goal shy. If Cummings isn't scoring we struggle. Thought McGeough would come back and make a difference, sounds like he didn't. A player of McGinns ability should pop in with a few goals too. Not bed wetting I just have a high expectation of our team as we have proven we have ability. There are teams in the division above who would replace their first 11 with most of ours.

Hi Heid Yin
24-09-2016, 06:29 PM
There can't be many team dominate games as much as us and fail to win them. I really think it's mostly down to our midfielders being goal shy. If Cummings isn't scoring we struggle. Thought McGeough would come back and make a difference, sounds like he didn't. A player of McGinns ability should pop in with a few goals too. Not bed wetting I just have a high expectation of our team as we have proven we have ability. There are teams in the division above who would replace their first 11 with most of ours.

I totally agree that someone of McGinns ability should be scoring goals.
He does not drive into the box at pace or go for quick one-two's, or even have a pop from distance.
I feel that he could step up another gear and is playing within himself. He would appear to be living on his early reputation.
Hopefully, Lennon will give him the proverbial boot up the rear that he needs.

Spike Mandela
24-09-2016, 06:31 PM
For me Lennon came in late, took too long to assess squad, carried out minimal recruitment and failed to improve areas of mediocrity.

hibsbollah
24-09-2016, 06:32 PM
He does not drive into the box at pace or go for quick one-two's, or even have a pop from distance.
I feel that he could step up another gear and is playing within himself. He would appear to be living on his early reputation.

He only scored 4 in 87 games for St Mirren. I don't think it's an attitude thing, it's just not in his locker.

Boyle89
24-09-2016, 06:34 PM

Mcginn has been shooting a lot more this season😐. He had 2 or 3 against Dunfermline that forced the keeper into a save and hit the post from far out against someone else I'm sure.

biotech
24-09-2016, 06:35 PM
In many games we could play three up front and really take the game to the opposition. Plus we need to get midfielders into the box more often.

Bishop Hibee
24-09-2016, 06:39 PM
He only scored 4 in 87 games for St Mirren. I don't think it's an attitude thing, it's just not in his locker.

He scored a great header pre-season v Motherwell. We need more midfielders in the box when crosses do come in.

Hi Heid Yin
24-09-2016, 06:46 PM

That's pretty poor for someone of his ability. With his close ball control, he would be one hell of a player if he started to drive into the box at speed, unnerving static or retreating back lines.

The Leith Dutch
24-09-2016, 06:47 PM
There's nothing to worry about. The last 2 games have seen us go down to 10 men, up until that point we had a 100% record and had scored a few goals. Keep the faith.

Not bed wetting time but there is definitely something to worry about.
While in the Championship we have consistently performed well against the decent teams but been ineffectual in turning dominating performances into goals.

The 100% record is a little flattering - a win is a win sure but only the wins against Morton and away to Falkirk were actually impressive results in any way other than taking the 3 points.
The wins over Dunfermline and Dumbarton were by a single goal and a defensive slip would easily have been points lost.

We could and should be hammering these teams.

Hi Heid Yin
24-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Not bed wetting time but there is definitely something to worry about.
While in the Championship we have consistently performed well against the decent teams but been ineffectual in turning dominating performances into goals.

The 100% record is a little flattering - a win is a win sure but only the wins against Morton and away to Falkirk were actually impressive results in any way other than taking the 3 points.
The wins over Dunfermline and Dumbarton were by a single goal and a defensive slip would easily have been points lost.

We could and should be hammering these teams.

Yes, the way that both Hearts and The Rangers did so effectively in their championship-winning time in this division.
Narrow wins are invariably tinged with relief after a few nervy moments in our penalty area during the last 10 minutes. We give ourselves little breathing space when we score so few goals.
The Morton game is the only time we looked like potential champions.

Velma Dinkley
24-09-2016, 07:08 PM
The familiar theme in the league this season was Hibs winning matches up until we started getting players sent off.

lumbo_hfc
24-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Done really well first half to have most of the possesion and create what we did with the wind and rain against us. Have no doubt we would have went on to take 3 points today had we kept 11 players on the park. So in short, Stevenson cost us 3 points today!

Swedish hibee
24-09-2016, 07:17 PM
We've only really had Jason to score goals for 2 seasons now, and after not signing a decent striker this season- I didn't think it would be any different.

Carheenlea
24-09-2016, 07:18 PM

He had a few shots from distance this afternoon - the best being a blistering 25 yarder their keeper got a fingertip to under the bar.

Baldy Foghorn
24-09-2016, 07:21 PM
Done really well first half to have most of the possesion and create what we did with the wind and rain against us. Have no doubt we would have went on to take 3 points today had we kept 11 players on the park. So in short, Stevenson cost us 3 points today!

Wasn't a great performance from the TEAM, but your last point is nonsense

hibsbollah
24-09-2016, 07:34 PM
That's pretty poor for someone of his ability. With his close ball control, he would be one hell of a player if he started to drive into the box at speed, unnerving static or retreating back lines.

:agree: Agree, and when you watch him play it doesn't make any sense. Could be that hes being asked to do things in the wrong areas of the pitch (or less effective areas anyway), or he has a confidence issue in front of goal, but again he doesn't come across as that kind of character.

I love his ability but his lack of goals is a bit mysterious.

Sir David Gray
24-09-2016, 07:54 PM
2 goals from our last 3 league games is a bit of a concern and our reliance on Jason Cummings is also a real concern.

I don't know how we'll cope if Cummings gets injured for any length of time.

B.H.F.C
24-09-2016, 08:07 PM
2 goals from our last 3 league games is a bit of a concern and our reliance on Jason Cummings is also a real concern.

In the last couple of games we've not coped with him in an attacking sense. Never mind without.

Between today, last week and Dumbarton we've created very few chances. Clear cut ones. Poor.

lumbo_hfc
24-09-2016, 08:20 PM
Wasn't a great performance from the TEAM, but your last point is nonsense

I'm basing that on the fact that I thought we would have went on to win the game if he hadn't been sent off.

northstandhibby
24-09-2016, 08:26 PM

I would like to see James Keatings get more game time other than a few minutes sub time. He is a goal scorer and his positional play and energy is very good.

GGTTH

J-C
25-09-2016, 09:42 AM
Looking at our line up recently and from last season, the team has hardly change shape wise, still seem to be using the diamond and 2 ineffective wing backs as our main source of width. WE seem to have managers at Hibs who are obsessed with central midfielders and are **** scared of using width and pace, which we all know wins games in this league.

I thought Lennon would've added a steeliness and winning mentality to Hibs, I'm not seeing that right now, I'm seeing exactly the same problems we've had for the past 2 seasons, a bundle of chances but not enough goals, we don't get in behind teams enough.

Super_JMcGinn
25-09-2016, 09:47 AM
I'm basing that on the fact that I thought we would have went on to win the game if he hadn't been sent off.

What you THINK might have happened is irrelevant, the fact is we upped our game when Lewis was sent off and looked more likely to win it than before.

emerald green
25-09-2016, 10:02 AM
I would like to see James Keatings get more game time other than a few minutes sub time. He is a goal scorer and his positional play and energy is very good.

GGTTH

Has Keatings scored for Hibs yet this season? I agree he won't score many if he isn't on the pitch much.

But anyway that's irrelevant because it's a TEAM game. EVERY player in the team (excluding the goalkeeper) should be getting encouraged to score goals. Hibs had umpteen corners yesterday and couldn't muster up a single goal. There is no excuse any longer about not having any height in the team.

Maybe it's time to be focusing on how the team is set up, and the general style of play. That's down to the head coach.

The Leith Dutch
25-09-2016, 10:46 AM

GGTTH

Interested to know where you'd play him?

For me, it's him of Cummings and I don't think he particularly improves our position replacing Cummings in that I think he probably offers more set up wise but less goals wise.

Do you see him just behind the front two maybe?
I kind of feel we tried this but maybe under Lennon it could work better.

lumbo_hfc
25-09-2016, 10:51 AM
What you THINK might have happened is irrelevant, the fact is we upped our game when Lewis was sent off and looked more likely to win it than before.

Balls! We were well on top in the first half and that was even with the elements being against us. The reason you THINK we upped our game was only due to us shooting the other way and having the wind at our back, imagine we had 11 men!!! We hardly created a thing in the 2nd half, had plenty corners (again, mainly won because of the conditions) apart from McGinns shot, their goalie never had that much to do!

northstandhibby
25-09-2016, 11:18 AM
Interested to know where you'd play him?

For me, it's him of Cummings and I don't think he particularly improves our position replacing Cummings in that I think he probably offers more set up wise but less goals wise.

Do you see him just behind the front two maybe?
I kind of feel we tried this but maybe under Lennon it could work better.

I understand what you say as per either JC or JK and it is a very fair point you make.

Either as part of a forward thinking three striker role or as you say supporting a front two. Could be the answer to goals coming from outwith the front two and could help the forward supporting JC (probs BG or GH) score more.

I'm sure a good manager such as Mr Lennon is could adapt such a formation suitably.

We definitely need additional goal threats other than JC.

GGTTH

J-C
25-09-2016, 11:42 AM
Balls! We were well on top in the first half and that was even with the elements being against us. The reason you THINK we upped our game was only due to us shooting the other way and having the wind at our back, imagine we had 11 men!!! We hardly created a thing in the 2nd half, had plenty corners (again, mainly won because of the conditions) apart from McGinns shot, their goalie never had that much to do!

Front 3 of Keatings, Holt and Cummings, let the 2 younger guys use their mobilty and have Holt cause a nuisance of himself with their CH's, Boyle can also be played higher up and has proved he can score goals too.

Hi Heid Yin
25-09-2016, 03:42 PM
Has Keatings scored for Hibs yet this season? I agree he won't score many if he isn't on the pitch much.

But anyway that's irrelevant because it's a TEAM game. EVERY player in the team (excluding the goalkeeper) should be getting encouraged to score goals. Hibs had umpteen corners yesterday and couldn't muster up a single goal. There is no excuse any longer about not having any height in the team.

Maybe it's time to be focusing on how the team is set up, and the general style of play. That's down to the head coach.

Hopefully, Lennon's frustration will lead to him now being more ruthless with the shot shy side he has inherited. Width and pace are required big time.