PDA

View Full Version : Umbrella Etiquette

Carheenlea
23-09-2016, 07:00 PM
Looking at tomorrow's forecast for Dumfries, and with an uncovered terracing ticket in hand, it's looking like a wet one. Being the owner of an assortment of different umbrellas, I'm wondering what, if any, would be the most appropriate to take to the game.
One of the large, sturdy double canopy wind resistant golf brolly's, or if anyone plans to stick any owners brolly's where the sun doesn't shine, maybe a shorter pocket sized one might be wiser?
One way or another, if wet, will be coming better prepared than Cowdenbeath two years ago that's for sure..

northstandhibby
23-09-2016, 07:09 PM
Looking at tomorrow's forecast for Dumfries, and with an uncovered terracing ticket in hand, it's looking like a wet one. Being the owner of an assortment of different umbrellas, I'm wondering what, if any, would be the most appropriate to take to the game.
One of the large, sturdy double canopy wind resistant golf brolly's, or if anyone plans to stick any owners brolly's where the sun doesn't shine, maybe a shorter pocket sized one might be wiser?
One way or another, if wet, will be coming better prepared than Cowdenbeath two years ago that's for sure..

A rolled up waterproof cagoule can come in very handy. Some places sell them quite cheap if I remember rightly.

GGTTH

brianmc
23-09-2016, 07:16 PM
A rolled up waterproof cagoule can come in very handy. Some places sell them quite cheap if I remember rightly.

GGTTH

They can be found in most pound shops I believe.

Pete
23-09-2016, 07:18 PM
They can be found in most pound shops I believe.

As can these daft looking poncho things. Better than getting wet or annoying people with a brolly I suppose.

wpj
23-09-2016, 08:10 PM
Shirley this is for the irrelevant match day thread regarding breakfast and match attire?

calumhibee1
23-09-2016, 08:10 PM

That game at Cowdenbeath was the most horrific experience of my footballing life. Cup final defeats have felt better.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-09-2016, 08:18 PM

The boy celebrating at Tynie for the Scottish Cup had the right idea #noUmbrellasRequired with that little used Hoodie enabling #UnadulteratedJoy - I salute you Sir!

Billy Whizz
23-09-2016, 08:19 PM

Do you think you're Ronniekirk, talking about fashion at a game😄

DaveF
23-09-2016, 08:38 PM
That game at Cowdenbeath was the most horrific experience of my footballing life. Cup final defeats have felt better.

I think I'm still drying out from that one and I left after an hour.

Speedy
23-09-2016, 08:38 PM
Waterproof jacket

Joe6-2
23-09-2016, 09:43 PM
As can these daft looking poncho things. Better than getting wet or annoying people with a brolly I suppose.

They are rubbish, soaked thro in minutes!

Hibbyradge
23-09-2016, 09:55 PM

Yes. That was bad.

Dumfrieshibs
23-09-2016, 10:11 PM
Forecast isn't great for here tomorrow. Golfing at 10 so will give updates on the weather as often as I can ☀️☀️☀️

Nakedmanoncrack
23-09-2016, 10:11 PM
Been a long time since I've seen anyone wearing a plastic bag on their head at a game, common sight on an inclement day in the old uncovered East terracing.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-09-2016, 10:36 PM
Been a long time since I've seen anyone wearing a plastic bag on their head at a game, common sight on an inclement day in the old uncovered East terracing.

Because you have to pay for them now.

Stax
23-09-2016, 11:26 PM

GGTTH
Agree with your first sentence, but cheap wont get you a fine piece of taped seams and stylish packable looks K-way Jaques / Claude.

northstandhibby
24-09-2016, 12:40 AM
Agree with your first sentence, but cheap wont get you a fine piece of taped seams and stylish packable looks K-way Jaques / Claude.

It appears you are familiar with not just the waterproof attributes of a cagoule but the more refined look thereof. I bow to your knowledgeable prowess of the cagoule.

:not worth

GGTTH

Centre Hawf
24-09-2016, 01:31 AM
Perhaps best to keep it small and stand at the back to not block anyones view. But a waterproof with hood would be best imo.

PiemanP
24-09-2016, 06:43 AM
Looks like it's going to be very wet and very windy. Head to toe waterproofs advised...an umbrella will be no use and will annoy everyone else.

heretoday
24-09-2016, 07:54 AM
I don't think they'd allow you into the ground with a brolly would they? In the sixties a plastic mac and a tweed cap were the order of the day, as punters huddled doggedly on the terraces.

Whatever you do, don't walk about with the brolly furled. It's terribly bad form, except in the environs of the City of London - and then only on business days. :wink:

Tinribs
24-09-2016, 08:23 AM

A good choice, k-way all the way for me too. I would use my Peter Storm ones, but have turned into a fat bassa over the years, and they only go up to size xxl, so they are a little snug for me now.

Keith_M
24-09-2016, 08:40 AM
It's about tiime the SPFL forced clubs to cover all uncovered terracing.

It would save a lot of fighting over umbrellas at matches .

The Gorf
24-09-2016, 09:24 AM
Pacamac at the ready.

Bostonhibby
24-09-2016, 09:34 AM
Really interesting debate this one, especially with winter about to descend, I think we need look no further than those forward looking visionaries that follow Scotlands newest team, the rangers.

For decades I've thought their love of the bowler hat was linked to some inward looking rituals where old men get to dress up like 1960's bank managers and march about in them thinking they impress the general population who have to watch in bewilderment every marching season.

In fact with their upturned wee gutter all round they are perfect rain water catchers and so long as you walk rigidly, like you have a pole up your erky never a drop will be spilled.

So it's bowler hats for me. You can keep a warm pie under it as well.

James70
24-09-2016, 09:36 AM
I can remember when Hibs handed out free waterproofs to away supporters at the then uncovered Dunbar End. They were ridiculed on the tv for not being able to provide cover for visiting fans. That must have been 20 years ago yet other clubs are still able to get away with not providing covered terracing.

Hibee87
24-09-2016, 12:04 PM

the have a covered stand for hibs fans, I thought the retracing was just for pay at gates ?

calumhibee1
24-09-2016, 12:16 PM
It's about tiime the SPFL forced clubs to cover all uncovered terracing.

It would save a lot of fighting over umbrellas at matches .

Agreed. There should be some form of roof over every area that houses fans. No exactly going to get bairns chomping at then it to come back standing there getting battered by wind and rain.

Keith_M
24-09-2016, 12:23 PM
Can't those with terracing tickets just smuggle in about 20 wooden poles and a really long, wide strip of polythene?

Then they could just assemble their own roof....

Carheenlea
24-09-2016, 01:40 PM
the have a covered stand for hibs fans, I thought the retracing was just for pay at gates ?

Tickets for both available in advance, and with covered seating sold out, terrace only for PATG.
Anyway, delete the thread - dry as a bone at present in Dumfries :dizzy:

Carheenlea
24-09-2016, 01:56 PM
Spoke too soon - on it comes...

Golden Bear
24-09-2016, 02:10 PM
Spoke too soon - on it comes...

Nae luck Mary Poppins 😁

Keith_M
24-09-2016, 02:53 PM
Any gritters passing the stadium?

Dashing Bob S
24-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Black. Pointed and sharpened tip. Poke a Jambo in the eye and then boom loudly at nearest policeman: OFFICER THAT CHAP SEEMS TO BE HAVING A LITTLE TROUBLE.

Brolly etiquette.

Dashing Bob S
24-09-2016, 04:54 PM
Any gritters passing the stadium?

While a small Hearts contingent have been making fools of themselves at the away end at ER, I saw no evidence of their presence at Palmerston.

blackpoolhibs
24-09-2016, 06:55 PM
Took my golf brolly in today, and when i went through the turnstyle a steward told me it was fine to bring it in but i would not be allowed to put it up. :faf:

I just smiled at him and said aye ok.

It was up all game.

Went for a piss at half time, and i see the sevco fans had been in recently and wrecked them. :greengrin

mca
24-09-2016, 07:05 PM
I can remember when Hibs handed out free waterproofs to away supporters at the then uncovered Dunbar End. They were ridiculed on the tv for not being able to provide cover for visiting fans. That must have been 20 years ago yet other clubs are still able to get away with not providing covered terracing.

Loved The Auld View - Looking out over Arthurs Seat and Watching The Jambos Getting Soaked... :greengrin

Keith_M
25-09-2016, 07:24 AM
My Dad kept his head dry at the game yesterday by wearing a Hat he found on the pitch at Hampden in May.

I asked him how effective the hat was, to which he replied, 'pure magic'.

Carheenlea
25-09-2016, 07:32 AM
Took my golf brolly in today, and when i went through the turnstyle a steward told me it was fine to bring it in but i would not be allowed to put it up. :faf:

I just smiled at him and said aye ok.

It was up all game.

Went for a piss at half time, and i see the sevco fans had been in recently and wrecked them. :greengrin

You had to weigh up whether you would end up more soiled entering the toilet block rather than just doing it your trousers. At first glance I didn't think they were operational and the portaloos were the facilities.