PDA

View Full Version : Gary Caldwell

lord bunberry
23-09-2016, 06:51 PM
I didn't know he had got the gig at Wigan.

tamig
23-09-2016, 06:55 PM
I didn't know he had got the gig at Wigan.

He's been in charge there for a wee while now.

lord bunberry
23-09-2016, 06:57 PM
He's been in charge there for a wee while now.
Shows you how much I follow English football :greengrin

Lago
23-09-2016, 07:06 PM
Seems to be doing ok at Wigan.

offshorehibby
23-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Did he not take over after they got relegated to div one winning the league and holding their own in championship

offshorehibby
23-09-2016, 07:41 PM
Did he not take over after they got relegated to div one winning the league and holding their own in championship

23-09-2016, 08:03 PM
Yup been there over a season now - he inherited one hell of a mess but seems to have turned things around.
Good luck to him I say.

He might have left us for one of the ugly sisters but when at Hibs he put in some good performances.

lord bunberry
23-09-2016, 08:16 PM
They play a lot like hibs. Plenty possession, with little end product. If only they had Jason Cummings.

I'm_cabbaged
23-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Never got the dislike amongst us to him, a more than decent player tbh

Scott Allan Key
23-09-2016, 09:44 PM

The pre-contract to a rival club. Can't think of any player who's survived that.

Edson Arantes
23-09-2016, 09:47 PM
Caldwell is/was an arse.

sambajustice
23-09-2016, 09:48 PM
watched them against Wednesday a few weeks ago and they were pretty honking.

Done well last season though.

I'm sure the combined age of the manager and the chairman at Wigan is like 69 or 70!

s.a.m
23-09-2016, 09:52 PM
The pre-contract to a rival club. Can't think of any player who's survived that.

Scott Brown?

CropleyWasGod
23-09-2016, 09:52 PM
Caldwell is/was an arse.
Which?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Edson Arantes
23-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Which?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Both.

jgl07
23-09-2016, 10:25 PM
Riordan, Murray for starters.

jgl07
23-09-2016, 10:26 PM
Scott Brown?

Brown went for £4.5 million!

Steve-O
23-09-2016, 10:30 PM

We're those signed 6 months before the end of the season though?

Didn't we get cash for Murray?? Memory has gone!

Stevie Reid
23-09-2016, 10:31 PM
Caldwell was a very good player for us. No issue with him at all.

Nakedmanoncrack
23-09-2016, 10:37 PM

Riordan went for a fee, not a pre contract, Murray did engineer a fee transfer move to the oldco Huns, and was given the abuse he deserved.

ballengeich
23-09-2016, 10:44 PM

Caldwell came to us as a first team player. That's the difference between him and other players who signed for rivals. We hadn't spent anything develping him as a youth player. He didn't owe us anything when he left.

He did well last season in his first management job by getting Wigan promoted. Life will be harder for his club this year. He'll have to outthink Alan Stubbs amongst others.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
23-09-2016, 11:39 PM

His **** attitude every transfer window.

jax67
24-09-2016, 03:44 AM
I loved the trick he had for confusing the opposing teams, pointing in one direction whilst firing the ball in a completely different one. Don't know if it was meant all of the time though👉🏻👟🏐

jacomo
24-09-2016, 04:41 AM
Caldwell was a very good player for us. No issue with him at all.

I think 'very good' is stretching it, tbh.

He always acted like he was only here because nothing better was on the table and was desperate to get away.

Once he was at Celtc, he pretty much admitted he just hadn't worked very hard for us.

Which was how it looked, really. I remember him being prone to lapses of concentration and mistakes.

He went on to have a fine career of course. Hibs were there for him when no one else was, but there's little love lost on either side.

Pete
24-09-2016, 05:09 AM
More of a Gary Smith man myself.

jacomo
24-09-2016, 05:17 AM
More of a Gary Smith man myself.

Now there was a guy who put his body on the line for us every week.

Less stellar career than the Gary we've been talking about, but committed to the cause and much better for us IMO.

Is he still a fireman up in Aberdeen?

Pete
24-09-2016, 05:41 AM

Less stellar career than the Gary we've been talking about, but committed to the cause and much better for us IMO.

Not sure mate but I hope he's getting on OK.

One of our most underrated players and he would probably walk into our present team.

s.a.m
24-09-2016, 06:27 AM
Brown went for £4.5 million!

Indeed he did. But he carried on playing for us when we knew he'd made a future commitment to Celtic.

eastterrace
24-09-2016, 07:10 AM
Scott Brown? don't think Scott brown had pre contract with any club he just got sold were Caldwell set himself up with Celtic

Scouse Hibee
24-09-2016, 07:16 AM

He was a fireman in Edinburgh when I last saw him.

s.a.m
24-09-2016, 07:24 AM
don't think Scott brown had pre contract with any club he just got sold were Caldwell set himself up with Celtic

Fair enough. We knew well in advance though that he had agreed to go to Celtic, and the club were selling him to them.

I'm_cabbaged
24-09-2016, 07:30 AM
Didn't Deeks sign a contract which started on his birthday meaning we lost a development fee, thus forcing us to accept a pittance transfer fee?

KeithTheHibby
24-09-2016, 07:34 AM
Caldwell was pretty good for us. As much his signing for Celtic on a pre-contract was annoying you almost have to admire him for how he dealt with it when it became public.

Don't have any grudge against him and wish him well as a manager.

lord bunberry
24-09-2016, 08:02 AM
Didn't Deeks sign a contract which started on his birthday meaning we lost a development fee, thus forcing us to accept a pittance transfer fee?
I think he signed a pre contract that would've meant him leaving in January. Celtic then decided to offer us some money to take him straight away. I think you're right about it being something to do with his birthday and the development fee.

Tyler Durden
24-09-2016, 08:09 AM
I think he signed a pre contract that would've meant him leaving in January. Celtic then decided to offer us some money to take him straight away. I think you're right about it being something to do with his birthday and the development fee.

I think his Hibs contract expired at end of the January. Bizarrely.

Peevemor
24-09-2016, 08:36 AM

The pre contract he originally signed with Celtic started in the January even though his Hibs contract ended in October, meaning he would have been unable to play for 2-3 months - all so that Cetlic avoided paying Hibs a development fee. The clubs eventually came to an agreement.

http://www.espnfc.com/story/367760/riordan-signs-pre-contract-agreement-with-celtic

southsider
24-09-2016, 08:50 AM
I got chatting with Gary in the Corn Exchange at a Proclaimers gig. Nice friendly guy who went out of his way to chat to fans. Had a bust up with that Welsh baw-bag( Bellamy) when he played for us against Celtic. Grabbed him by the shirt and forced him to shake his hand at the end of the game. Wish him luck in management at Wigan as I feel he is going to need it.

Broken Gnome
24-09-2016, 08:55 AM
The pre contract he originally signed with Celtic started in the January even though his Hibs contract ended in October, meaning he would have been unable to play for 2-3 months - all so that Cetlic avoided paying Hibs a development fee. The clubs eventually came to an agreement.

http://www.espnfc.com/story/367760/riordan-signs-pre-contract-agreement-with-celtic

Was that not the day Hearts won the Scottish Cup as well? Remember it felt like a particular kick in the mass on a particularly crappy day.

lord bunberry
24-09-2016, 08:58 AM

Yeah that was it. I remember it being a bit unusual at the time and there being a lot of pressure on Celtic to stump up.