PDA

View Full Version : Sevco receive apology for Daily Record story

Northernhibee
23-09-2016, 08:38 AM
On their website, sure someone can link. Where's our apology for the misleading headlines?

Carheenlea
23-09-2016, 08:42 AM
Time to live our lives without the Daily Record. Not interested in an apology, and they can print whatever they like as far as I'm concerned.

Onion
23-09-2016, 09:17 AM
Time to live our lives without the Daily Record. Not interested in an apology, and they can print whatever they like as far as I'm concerned.

:agree: DR is a nothing more than a dumbed down Hun Fanzine. Why would they start apologising to Hibs ?

MB62
23-09-2016, 09:39 AM

:greengrin :top marks

Used buy this thing every day, never spent a penny on it now for possibly a couple of years and it will never see the light of day in my house ever again, Hibs hating Hun Rag.

Dunbar Hibee
23-09-2016, 09:44 AM
:greengrin :top marks

Used buy this thing every day, never spent a penny on it now for possibly a couple of years and it will never see the light of day in my house ever again, Hibs hating Hun Rag.

I may be being petty, but i'd be disappointed if any Hibs fan bought that ****in rag ever again. ****.:giruy2:

Carheenlea
23-09-2016, 09:53 AM
:agree: DR is a nothing more than a dumbed down Hun Fanzine. Why would they start apologising to Hibs ?

Follow Follow is quite similar to the Daily Record, but with not as much about Rangers in it.

WhileTheChief..
23-09-2016, 11:19 AM
AFTER having challenged the Daily Record over the veracity of their story ‘Cops: Mob Rule Outside Hampden Blocked Us From Getting In to Help’ (published on May 26, 2016) Rangers have received an apology from the newspaper’s editor.
The Daily Record was hauled over the coals by the newspaper industry watchdog, the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO,) who were scathing in their criticisms of the methods used by the paper.
IPSO ruled the Daily Record failed to corroborate the information they claim they were given via an anonymous email and also found them to be guilty of presenting a ‘significantly misleading impression.’ The Daily Record also failed to ‘demonstrate the accuracy of the serious allegations set out in the article.’
IPSO also stated: ‘In circumstances where Rangers supporters were accused of violence towards police, and other anti-social behaviour, the attempts it had made to support the account of an unidentified source it had been unable to verify were not sufficient to demonstrate that care had been taken over the accuracy of the article.’
Rangers and Club 1872 challenged the paper and in a letter to Rangers Managing Director Stewart Robertson, the editor of the Daily Record admitted the report printed in the edition of May 26 surrounding events in the aftermath of the Scottish Cup final ‘should not have been published.’
The editor also wrote: ‘In this instance the paper failed to maintain the requisite standards. It was a collective failing for which I apologise unreservedly.’

SunshineOnLeith
23-09-2016, 11:27 AM
On their website, sure someone can link. Where's our apology for the misleading headlines?

Yes, let's all go to the Daily Record website and increase their revenue. That'll show them!

Northernhibee
23-09-2016, 11:30 AM
Yes, let's all go to the Daily Record website and increase their revenue. That'll show them!

It's on the Rangers website :confused:

SunshineOnLeith
23-09-2016, 11:51 AM
It's on the Rangers website :confused:

Fair enough, I misread.

Given there's a Club Statement from them every day at the moment I really should have guessed!

Spike Mandela
23-09-2016, 11:51 AM
The entire ipso report is available to read.

Of course doesn't mean incident never happened as reported just means the Daily Record didn't corroborate story in proper manner. How many other stories do they print like this that go unchallenged?.

Having read the full report and the Daily Record's robust defence of story I am surprised at ipso's determination to get an apology for Sevco but then again not really surprised at all.

Col2
23-09-2016, 12:38 PM
The Rangers statement reads like its from a fans website. "Hauled over the coals" - I mean does any so called professional organisation with a fair bit of public visibility, really communicate like that?

MrSmith
23-09-2016, 01:11 PM
The Rangers statement reads like its from a fans website. "Hauled over the coals" - I mean does any so called professional organisation with a fair bit of public visibility, really communicate like that?

Dumbed down for their audience.

The Leith Dutch
23-09-2016, 01:49 PM
Where's our apology for the misleading headlines?

In order to get an apology I think you need to have a bunch of neanderthal ****bags who go around assaulting folk, some bigoted keyboard warriors prepared to publish names and addresses of anyone who gives offence to their club and a complicit establishment who rather than doing their job and calling them out as the violent bigoted thugs they are try to appease them at every turn.

Andy74
23-09-2016, 01:52 PM
In order to get an apology I think you need to have a bunch of neanderthal ****bags who go around assaulting folk, some bigoted keyboard warriors prepared to publish names and addresses of anyone who gives offence to their club and a complicit establishment who rather than doing their job and calling them out as the violent bigoted thugs they are try to appease them at every turn.

Maybe to get an apology you have to ask for one - it looks as though Rangers have written to them. Hibs have given the impression they have been writing emails and letters to fans but haven't felt they should respond to Rangers or to the media.

Northernhibee
23-09-2016, 02:00 PM
Fair enough, I misread.

Given there's a Club Statement from them every day at the moment I really should have guessed!

Jim Traynor is writing up a statement about how it's an outrage that you're not reading the Sevco website daily as we speak :greengrin

7Hero
23-09-2016, 03:55 PM
Can't even remember the last time i bought a daily record, doesn't even deserve a thread on hibs.net to be honest..

or me to reply to the thread ...

Doh !

DH1875
23-09-2016, 03:59 PM
Is the Metro newspaper not just a free version of the Daily Record? Why anyone would buy it is beyond me.

hibby6270
27-09-2016, 12:25 AM
Is the Metro newspaper not just a free version of the Daily Record? Why anyone would buy it is beyond me.

Think the Metro is owned by the group that owns the Daily Mail, so not the same.
So you can breathe easy when you pick up your copy on the bus/train. :greengrin

Captain Trips
27-09-2016, 10:25 AM
I had complained about the DR headline after cup final to IPSO. They got back to me regarding the "source" the DR used for telling us every player was battered, this was my counter response :

The Paper refers to a "source" that is just hearsay and the following bears out that this "source" either does not exist or was completely wrong either way it was/is up to the paper to make sure what it is printing is accurate and true.
Point 1. One of the alleged battered players wife stated in black and white from herself that her husband had not been touched and she was not happy with the lies, this came on the evening of the match as I assume she heard certain things and was concerned he had been hit but he had not. This for me is way better than any "source" and should have put into doubt anything this "source" had to say as the "source" quoted "every player". This information was out there and well know 2 days before story printed. This player Kenny Miller can in fact be seen walking off the park after shaking hands with one of the Hibs fans (he used to play for hibs)
Point 2. To this day as far as charges relating to players being battered or spat on I understand only 2/3 people had been charged with gesticulating and jostling of 2/3 players. I have never denied that some players were jostled but no way is it 11 not even close and battering is a way over the top phrase.
Point 3. With all the coverage at the final whistle on camera sky/bbc and mobile footage and everything there is only one video of a Rangers player being Jostled and that is their keeper whom was nearest the fans who came on pitch, there is a photo of somebody taking a swing at one player but no contact was made. that is about it. What we do see on video is several Rangers players walking off the park calmly unflustered like they would any match with no signs that they had been touched. No players are reacting in a manner that would suggest an assault had occurred. Everyone is different and perhaps would react differently but to all react the same suggests that what happened to them was the same and that was nothing. I cannot understand if all these players were battered how it was missed on film. simple it didn't happen.
To get 11 players battered as a headline without that being in my opinion properly checked says to me that this story has been massively exaggerated in order to make a headline there is no eveidence out there to even come close to 11 players being battered and in my opinion is a disgraceful headline.
Kind regards

The Green Goblin
27-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Is the daily record apologising to the huns a bit like the yams borrowing money from themselves?