View Full Version : Team on Saturday

Diclonius
22-09-2016, 02:53 PM
Here's who I would go for:

Marciano

Gray McGregor Hanlon Stevenson

Boyle McGinn Fyvie Shinnie

Cummings Holt

Possibly replace Shinnie or Fyvie with McGeouch (if Shinnie, stick McGinn wide). Play with width instead of narrow. QOS may be top of the league but they'll play the same boring defensive **** everyone else does.

fishybeaver
22-09-2016, 03:32 PM
Replace Boyle with Harris and McGeouch with Shinnie

Highland_Hibee
22-09-2016, 03:44 PM
Marciano

Gray Fontaine McGregor Hanlon

Fyvie
McGeough McGinn Shinnie

Holt Cummings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andrew70
22-09-2016, 04:01 PM
Marciano

Gray Fontaine McGregor Hanlon

Fyvie
McGeough McGinn Shinnie

Holt Cummings

Seriously? Playing wise I am not Lewis' biggest fan but to move our best centre half would be crazy.

I'd like to see Crane given a chance as the season progresses but I think it'll be the tried and trusted on Saturday.

Usual back four with McGeouch in for, possibly, Shinnie. Bartley will be needed unless he feels Fyvie can do that job but I think that restricts Fyvie and his ability. The usual front pairing.

danhibees1875
22-09-2016, 04:09 PM
Here's who I would go for:

Marciano

Boyle McGinn Fyvie Shinnie

Cummings Holt

Possibly replace Shinnie or Fyvie with McGeouch (if Shinnie, stick McGinn wide). Play with width instead of narrow. QOS may be top of the league but they'll play the same boring defensive **** everyone else does.

I like this team. I think depending on our width to come from Gray and Stevenson isn't working for us. We need width from midfield and I think Boyle gives us that and a constant threat - he can add goals from midfield too which we're crying out for.

I'd give Graham some more time too - replacing Holt after 50/55mins if he's not playing a blinder.

I think we'll play Bartley though - why appeal otherwise? Think we'll end up seeing this:

Marciano

Bartley
McGinn Fyvie
Shinnie

Cummings Holt

Doesn't matter anyway, 2-0 Hibs either way. :wink:

worcesterhibby
22-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Marciano

McGregor, Hanlon, Fontaine

Gray, Fyvie, McGinn, Shinnie, Stevenson

Holt, Cummings

Dunbar Hibee
22-09-2016, 04:36 PM
I hope Boyle gets a chance.

makaveli1875
22-09-2016, 04:44 PM
marciano

crane
mcgregor
hanlon
gray

boyle
mcginn
mcgeough

shinnie

cummings
graham

Smartie
22-09-2016, 04:46 PM
Marciano

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

McGeouch
Fyvie
McGinn

Harris
Holt
Boyle

Yep, I'm dropping our top scorer. Hasn't done enough in our past 2 fairly inept performances.

Main criticisms of our play -

Expect too much of our fullbacks - stick a couple of wingers ahead of them to help provide from wide.
Lack of pace about our play - get some wingers who can beat a man.
Midfield too negative - don't have Fyvie and Bartley playing together.

There's no space in a game like this for 2 strikers AND 2 wingers. Holt brings more to the game all round than Cummings.

Harris knows Palmerston, this would be the main (maybe only) game I'd play him in. It's a piece of nonsense we don't have more wide options.

Cummings and Keatings can come on for any of the front 3 if we're struggling. Like wise Shinnie can come on if we're chasing goals, Bartley if we're looking to close a result out.

We can't find ourselves getting over-run in the middle of the park.

A point on Saturday wouldn't be the end of the world and a defeat would be an appalling result.

JohnMcM
22-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Marciano

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

McGeouch
Fyvie
McGinn

Harris
Holt
Boyle

Yep, I'm dropping our top scorer. Hasn't done enough in our past 2 fairly inept performances.

Expect too much of our fullbacks - stick a couple of wingers ahead of them to help provide from wide.

There's no space in a game like this for 2 strikers AND 2 wingers. Holt brings more to the game all round than Cummings.

Harris knows Palmerston, this would be the main (maybe only) game I'd play him in. It's a piece of nonsense we don't have more wide options.

Cummings and Keatings can come on for any of the front 3 if we're struggling. Like wise Shinnie can come on if we're chasing goals, Bartley if we're looking to close a result out.

A point on Saturday wouldn't be the end of the world and a defeat would be an appalling result.

Other than being happy to settle for a point on Saturday, seems to me you have some fair points there.

Pretty Boy
22-09-2016, 05:00 PM
Laidlaw

Gray
Hanlon
McGreggor
Stevenson

Fyvie
McGinn
McGeough
Shinnie

Holt
Cummings

AlbertK86
22-09-2016, 05:41 PM
Marciano

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Crane

McGeouch
Fyvie
McGinn

Boyle
Cummings
Shinnie

Zazu62
22-09-2016, 05:52 PM
Think it's time young crane got a chance

BT58
22-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Laidlaw

Gray
Hanlon
McGreggor
Stevenson

Fyvie
McGinn
McGeough
Shinnie

Holt
Cummings

Thats the team for me too. Weve missed Dylan.

BlackSheep
22-09-2016, 07:18 PM
Marciano

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

McGeouch
Fyvie
McGinn

Boyle
Cummings
Keatings

I dont think Shinnie has been that bad but I think the emphasis on speed with Boyle and Keatings would cause problems.

NikGunnarsson
22-09-2016, 07:30 PM
Marciano

Hanlon
McGregor
Forster

Boyle
McGeouch
Fyvie
Shinnie
Harris

Graham
Holt

Bench:
Laidlaw
McGinn
Keatings
Cummings
Gray
Bartley
Murray

Hit the wings with pace and hit the big men in the middle. Also a very strong bench and why should Stevenson play if he is not on form, a break may be the best. Forster, Graham and Boyle all deserve a chance

Enough said
22-09-2016, 07:31 PM
We need pace back in the team

Lancs Harp
22-09-2016, 07:32 PM
I would start with the same as last week except Dylan in for Marv.

northstandhibby
22-09-2016, 07:40 PM
Laidlaw

Gray
Hanlon
McGreggor
Stevenson

Fyvie
McGinn
McGeough
Shinnie

Holt
Cummings

Agree with that although I was swithering as to replacing Holt with Keatings.

GGTTH

Ozyhibby
22-09-2016, 08:32 PM
Marciano (needs to be better)

Gray
Hanlon
McGregor
Stevenson

Fyvie
Mcgeogh
Mcginn
Shinnie ( needs to improve on last week)

Holt or Graham (Holt was poor last week)
Cummings

Billy Whizz
22-09-2016, 08:44 PM
If we're going to play Boyle, he has to be played more central

Brooster
22-09-2016, 08:53 PM
Team needs a bit of a shake-up after last week's flat performance.
Laidlaw
Gray McGregor Forster Crane
Fyvie
MeGeoch Shinnie McGinn
Keatings Cummings.

BlackSheep
22-09-2016, 09:00 PM
Laidlaw
Fyvie
MeGeoch Shinnie McGinn
Keatings Cummings.

Thats also a strong team.

i hope Lennon changes it up from the target man who can hold it up for the nippy pacey forwards.... Boyle or Keatings.

i'd like to see Keatings get a run but Boyle has been on firm for the development team as well as coming on as sub.

B.H.F.C
22-09-2016, 09:03 PM
Laidlaw
Fyvie
MeGeoch Shinnie McGinn
Keatings Cummings.

Team does need freshened up. Not just after last week, we were poor at Dumbarton as well.

Don't see him dropping Stevenson and Hanlon though.

Dylan surely needs to be back in the team.

supermcginn
22-09-2016, 09:23 PM
Team does need freshened up. Not just after last week, we were poor at Dumbarton as well.

Don't see him dropping Stevenson and Hanlon though.

Dylan surely needs to be back in the team.
Anything but a diamond and mcgeouch first name on the sheet bar none!

HibsNutter
22-09-2016, 10:03 PM
Marciano

Back four picks itself (assuming it's a four)

Fyvie
McGeouch (assuming he's fit)
McGinn
Shinnie

Keatings
Cummings

hfc rd
22-09-2016, 10:08 PM
I'd like to see 3-5-2 personally.

Then again, most important is getting a good result and proving that the Ayr Utd game was just a minor blip and nothing to majorly worry about.

essexhibee
22-09-2016, 10:28 PM
Mcgeough has to start for me whatever the team!

Steve20
23-09-2016, 07:19 AM
Marciano

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

McGeouch
Fyvie
McGinn

Harris
Holt
Boyle

Drop the player that's scored in every league game for us? That's madness. Even if Cummings didn't play, Keatings would surely be the one to come in. That line up wouldn't score any goals.

Falkirk will win tomorrow so a draw would leave us trailing QOTS and only three points ahead of Falkirk. I agree a defeat would be appalling, but a draw would be awful as well. Three points needed big time.

Hibby 2005
23-09-2016, 07:32 AM
Drop the goalie and the defensive Bartley, play McGeough and Boyle in midfield/attack as we should have done against the mighty Ayr.

Brightside
23-09-2016, 08:06 AM
Why are so many looking to play Harris?? He's not exactly ripping teams to bits in the dev league! Boyle on the other hand was the best player on the park in the latest Dev game. I expect him to be involved.

Smartie
23-09-2016, 08:15 AM
Drop the player that's scored in every league game for us? That's madness. Even if Cummings didn't play, Keatings would surely be the one to come in. That line up wouldn't score any goals.

Falkirk will win tomorrow so a draw would leave us trailing QOTS and only three points ahead of Falkirk. I agree a defeat would be appalling, but a draw would be awful as well. Three points needed big time.

Yeah, it probably is.

But the problem we have - and seem to have had for a while - is that we only seem to have one player capable of scoring. This goes deeper than Lennon vs Stubbs, is more than tactics vs personnel and imo is a bit of all of these.

When we play the way we've been playing we don't really create chances for anyone other than Cummings. We've said for years that we don't get enough goals from midfield. We've said for years that we don't get enough assists from our fullbacks. A 4-4-2 with wingers and 2 strikers will get overrun in the middle of the park.

I like Cummings a lot. He's been our best player so far this season. But he doesn't often get on the end of crosses and I think our over-reliance on him has been our achilles heel for a while. When he's in the team and on form we seem to be ok. When he's not we look clueless - and you can look at some pretty abject performance against some pretty awful teams over the past couple of years for evidence.

In order to accommodate Cummings we could play him up front with Boyle and Harris/ Keatings but I'd fancy Holt to get on the crosses from wide players more than I would Cummings. Holt is also better at hold-up play, winning free-kicks and getting the midfield involved.

We've had the problem of not scoring enough goals for a few years - I thought getting big Holt up there with Cummings was the answer but now I'm not convinced. It's a strange one but the consistent factor in our TEAM that hasn't scored anywhere near enough goals is Cummings, a player who has consistently been scoring plenty.

I was hoping that with my team whilst we lose the attacking threat of Cummings, we add more potential sources of assists and goals instead.

Smartie
23-09-2016, 08:17 AM
Why are so many looking to play Harris?? He's not exactly ripping teams to bits in the dev league! Boyle on the other hand was the best player on the park in the latest Dev game. I expect him to be involved.

He did well at Palmerston last season so has a track record of delivering on the pitch we're playing on on Saturday.

He's a wide player who has pace and the ability to beat a man, albeit he hasn't shown it enough in a Hibs shirt in recent years.

The Leith Dutch
23-09-2016, 08:23 AM
Yeah, it probably is.

But the problem we have - and seem to have had for a while - is that we only seem to have one player capable of scoring. This goes deeper than Lennon vs Stubbs, is more than tactics vs personnel and imo is a bit of all of these.

When we play the way we've been playing we don't really create chances for anyone other than Cummings. We've said for years that we don't get enough goals from midfield. We've said for years that we don't get enough assists from our fullbacks. A 4-4-2 with wingers and 2 strikers will get overrun in the middle of the park.

I like Cummings a lot. He's been our best player so far this season. But he doesn't often get on the end of crosses and I think our over-reliance on him has been our achilles heel for a while. When he's in the team and on form we seem to be ok. When he's not we look clueless - and you can look at some pretty abject performance against some pretty awful teams over the past couple of years for evidence.

In order to accommodate Cummings we could play him up front with Boyle and Harris/ Keatings but I'd fancy Holt to get on the crosses from wide players more than I would Cummings. Holt is also better at hold-up play, winning free-kicks and getting the midfield involved.

We've had the problem of not scoring enough goals for a few years - I thought getting big Holt up there with Cummings was the answer but now I'm not convinced. It's a strange one but the consistent factor in our TEAM that hasn't scored anywhere near enough goals is Cummings, a player who has consistently been scoring plenty.

Bit in bold is interesting - from where I'm sitting the problem there is the crosses.

As for our over-reliance on him - I'd love to see us not be so reliant on his goals but that surely means we need other players to be scoring rather than dropping the guy who is scoring no?

The Leith Dutch
23-09-2016, 08:28 AM
I'd like to see 3-5-2 personally.

Then again, most important is getting a good result and proving that the Ayr Utd game was just a minor blip and nothing to majorly worry about.

He did well at Palmerston last season so has a track record of delivering on the pitch we're playing on on Saturday.

He's a wide player who has pace and the ability to beat a man, albeit he hasn't shown it enough in a Hibs shirt in recent years.

I'd agree that 3-5-2 is the way we should go.
3 at the back is fine against anyone in this division and we have the right centre backs to play it.

Gives us 3 in the centre of the park so should win the midfield battle.

Big problem is the wide players - it's not Stevenson and Gray as they're not attacking enough going forward.
Boyle has the pace to do it but I sense he's happier playing centrally.
Harris I'd love to see back to the player I thought we'd found in the Falkirk semi-final.

fishybeaver
23-09-2016, 08:31 AM

Boyle offer good work rate, but his final ball is poor, didn't touch the ball in twenty mins against Ayr, I just think he is currently off form at the moment. Harris can offer a better final ball and is in my opinion a more intelligent player, Not as busy as Boyle but has a better end product.

Smartie
23-09-2016, 08:32 AM
Bit in bold is interesting - from where I'm sitting the problem there is the crosses.

As for our over-reliance on him - I'd love to see us not be so reliant on his goals but that surely means we need other players to be scoring rather than dropping the guy who is scoring no?

The main problem IS the crosses and where they are coming from. But we know what we're going to get from Stevenson and Gray, we've been getting it for long enough. What we get from them is very good for attacking fullbacks who occasionally overlap but not nearly good enough for our primary outlet out wide. That's why I think we need wide players, to help them out as much as anything. If I was a wide player, I'd probably rather try to hit Holt than Cummings.

We absolutely need other players to start scoring. But I think our whole shape is set up to accommodate Cummings and it just isn't quite cutting it right now. Without Cummings I could see us having more of a threat from different players in different areas.

Maybe an old-fashioned 4-4-2 would work? I seem to remember us playing it late in a game after a few subs last season and we looked excellent. It leaves you a bit short in the middle but if we had a couple of grafters like McGinn and Fyvie it might work. Keep Cummings up there with Holt.

I accept dropping Cummings sounds like madness but I just have no desire to go through another season like the last 2 when we fail to kill teams off, fail to eradicate the problems we've had for some time and fall short so I suggested something a bit different.

J-C
23-09-2016, 09:02 AM
I'd go 4-3-3

Marciano

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

McGeouch
Fyvie
McGinn

Boyle
Holt
Cummings

Ronniekirk
23-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Will Dylan be risked on plastic pitch ? He is a kep player but not sure he should be risked on this surface Maybe come off bench
Be interested to see how Lennon plays this one

Iain G
23-09-2016, 09:44 AM
I'd go 4-3-3

Marciano

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

McGeouch
Fyvie
McGinn

Boyle
Holt
Cummings

Marciano

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

McGeouch
Fyvie
McGinn

Harris

Cummings
Holt

Give Alex Harris a free role to switch wings or play through the middle with a narrower 3 in the middle, lets get fullback and winger overloading their defence on one side and get balls into the box from there.

kentao
23-09-2016, 09:52 AM
3-5-2 for me.

Rocky

Fontaine Hanlon Mcgregor

Bartley/ fyvie

Boyle McGinn Shinne Harris

Holt JC

Lets play with proper wide players for a change and see If they can get a decent ball in the box or hit the byline for a cut back.

Ozyhibby
23-09-2016, 10:03 AM
The longer Alex Harris doesn't play the better he seems to be getting. If we keep him out the team till the end of the season there is a good chance we'll get £1m for him.

B.H.F.C
23-09-2016, 10:08 AM
Will Dylan be risked on plastic pitch ? He is a kep player but not sure he should be risked on this surface Maybe come off bench
Be interested to see how Lennon plays this one

Played most of the development game on plastic the other day.

If Dylan doesn't play I don't think it'll be down to the surface, I just think Lennon likes having the presence of Bartley in there.

scoopyboy
23-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Played most of the development game on plastic the other day.

If Dylan doesn't play I don't think it'll be down to the surface, I just think Lennon likes having the presence of Bartley in there.

I'm starting to think Neil Lonnon doesn't like Dylan McGeouch.

BoomtownHibees
23-09-2016, 10:36 AM

We have said similar recently. Last year as soon as he was fit he was back in the team. This season not.

As an aside, anybody that feels the resolution is dropping the only guy scoring for us is mental IMO

scoopyboy
23-09-2016, 10:40 AM
We have said similar recently. Last year as soon as he was fit he was back in the team. This season not.

As an aside, anybody that feels the resolution is dropping the only guy scoring for us is mental IMO

It's right out of the Terry Butcher School of Logic.

B.H.F.C
23-09-2016, 10:42 AM

Yep, I agree and have said similar.

Although I did hear an interview with Lennon the other day where he was talking about how more players need to chip in with goals. McGeough was one of the names he mentioned.

Peevemor
23-09-2016, 11:25 AM
The longer Alex Harris doesn't play the better he seems to be getting. If we keep him out the team till the end of the season there is a good chance we'll get £1m for him.

:hilarious

Could its be that he's waiting for him to be 100% fit and ready for 1st team football instead of putting him in too soon and risking yet another injury? :dunno:

Highland_Hibee
23-09-2016, 11:32 AM
I genuinely think any McGeough omissions are only for his fitness from the managers point of view. Any idiot can see we are a better team with Dylan in the team.

Northernhibee
23-09-2016, 11:37 AM
Marciano

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
Fyvie
Shinnie
Harris

Holt
Cummings

Subs:
Laidlaw
Fontaine
Keatings
McGinn
McGeouch
Bartley
Graham

Tamhere1875
23-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Replace Boyle with Harris and McGeouch with Shinnie
Your joking Harris has been murder. Have seen him in the development games he's played and he's been Lilian Gish to put it politely.

Ozyhibby
23-09-2016, 02:07 PM
Your joking Harris has been murder. Have seen him in the development games he's played and he's been Lilian Gish to put it politely.

Spoilsport. He's the next Arjen Robbin.

makaveli1875
23-09-2016, 02:18 PM

:top marks

erin go bragh
23-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Cummings will be the first name on the team sheet and rightly so . The boy has scored in six league games in a row.
I'd put McGeouch in for Bartley and Crane in for Stevenson from last Saturday's team .
Boyle for me , is much better coming on as a sub .

JDHibs
23-09-2016, 03:02 PM
I just wish we would keep it simple...

4-4-2

Marciano

Lewy
Hanlon
McGregor
Gray

McGinn
Shinnie
McGeough
Boyle

Cummings
Graham

McGeough can sit and make us tick, Shinnie can push forward. Boyle Can use his pace on the wing with Gray backing him up and McGinn can drift in and out with Lewy covering the left.

Graham is more mobile than Holt and more likely to get on the end of crosses.

Tempo/PAce = Wins in this division. Hearts and The Rangers both have proven this.

AlbertK86
23-09-2016, 03:46 PM
The way Lennon is speaking Bartley is playing.

Also sounded like Boyle may start

Dom'sFirstTouch
23-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Boyle in for Bartley would be my only change. I think good performances in development games have to be rewarded, or else what's the point in them? Also, last week we basically played 4 central midfielders and struggled to create chances.

We just don't have enough players who get into goal scoring positions with any regularity. Gray, Stevenson, Bartley, Fyvie, McGeouch and McGinn will barely muster a handful of goals between them (obviously you can add Goalie and centre backs to that). Imo we've only really got Cummings, Keatings and Boyle from last season's team (2 of whom are usually on the bench). Graham, Shinnie and Holt are potentially three more, they've all scored goals at points in their careers, so hopefully they can replicate that here (4 between them so far).

I'd like to think we can fashion a team for most games in this division with at least 4 regular(ish) goal scorers starting.

emerald green
23-09-2016, 05:13 PM
It will be interesting to see how well Marciano plays on Saturday (if selected). I expect he will have a lot more to deal with against QOS than he's had to deal with in the games he's played so far.

Lennon will also (I hope!) take the weather conditions into account when deciding on his starting eleven, formation, and substitutes. I think rain is forecast in that area on Saturday.

Hibeewilly
23-09-2016, 06:14 PM
Mcgeough has to start for me whatever the team!
100% correct. He is the best midfielder we have got:agree:

AlbertK86
23-09-2016, 06:25 PM
It will be interesting to see how well Marciano plays on Saturday (if selected). I expect he will have a lot more to deal with against QOS than he's had to deal with in the games he's played so far. Lennon will also (I hope!) take the weather conditions into account when deciding on his starting eleven, formation, and substitutes. I think rain is forecast in that area on Saturday.

Marciano seems to be getting written off by a few who are picking Laidlaw to play.

Felt Laidlaw's howler against QOS in the cup was worse than anything Rocky has done IE one misunderstanding with Hanlon!!

Pretty Boy
23-09-2016, 06:48 PM
Marciano seems to be getting written off by a few who are picking Laidlaw to play.

Felt Laidlaw's howler against QOS in the cup was worse than anything Rocky has done IE one misunderstanding with Hanlon!!

I just don't think he's fit. Also I've attended 3 of the 4 games he's played and he's looked very nervous in each.

The QOTS mistake aside I thought Laidlaw looked very assured especially when you consider he was chucked in at the deep end and where he came from. I think we have a good, young goalkeeper at the club who could potentially be a longer term option and I'd quite like to see him given the chance especially as he didn't do much to deserve to be dropped.

Ozyhibby
23-09-2016, 06:58 PM
I just don't think he's fit. Also I've attended 3 of the 4 games he's played and he's looked very nervous in each.

The QOTS mistake aside I thought Laidlaw looked very assured especially when you consider he was chucked in at the deep end and where he came from. I think we have a good, young goalkeeper at the club who could potentially be a longer term option and I'd quite like to see him given the chance especially as he didn't do much to deserve to be dropped.

I've not seen enough of either but I think it's not good enough that we are in mid September and yet again we don't have a goalie we can trust.
I am not impressed with our summer business this year.
Still think we will have enough to win the league though.

eastterrace
23-09-2016, 07:02 PM
He did well at Palmerston last season so has a track record of delivering on the pitch we're playing on on Saturday. He's a wide player who has pace and the ability to beat a man, albeit he hasn't shown it enough in a Hibs shirt in recent years. glad you ain't the manager with your team selection we probably be down with st.mirren

emerald green
24-09-2016, 12:52 PM

Just to clarify, I'm not writing the lad off. I hope he has virtually nothing to do this afternoon if he plays, but I suspect he might be busy.

If he's not fully fit he shouldn't be playing.