PDA

View Full Version : Michael O'Neill evening September 24th

DavieRoy
22-09-2016, 08:40 AM
Just noticed this...

https://event.bookitbee.com/8485/start-booking/#booknow

An evening with Michael O'Neill is coming up later this month. I always find what he has to say interesting. To think he could have been Hibernian manager.

NAE NOOKIE
22-09-2016, 10:38 AM
I have seen Michael O'Neill interviewed several times about his time in football and he 'never' seems to mention his time at Hibs, perhaps somebody could ask him why not, was he embarrassed to play for us?

G B Young
22-09-2016, 11:14 AM
I have seen Michael O'Neill interviewed several times about his time in football and he 'never' seems to mention his time at Hibs, perhaps somebody could ask him why not, was he embarrassed to play for us?

I don't think he has any issue about his time with us considering he probably enjoyed the best days of his career at Hibs. On their day he and McAllister were terrific on either wing and folk often forget Alex Miller had put together a very attack-minded side at that time, also featuring Keith Wright, Darren Jackson, Kevin Harper and Mickey Weir.

As for his managerial career, a rumour that he had a drink problem (put about by a certain persons in Scottish football) appeared to hamper his chances of the Hibs job:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/alan-pattullo-strange-case-of-michael-o-neill-and-hibs-1-3938050

NAE NOOKIE
22-09-2016, 11:24 AM
I don't think he has any issue about his time with us considering he probably enjoyed the best days of his career at Hibs. On their day he and McAllister were terrific on either wing and folk often forget Alex Miller had put together a very attack-minded side at that time, also featuring Keith Wright, Darren Jackson, Kevin Harper and Mickey Weir.

As for his managerial career, a rumour that he had a drink problem (put about by a certain persons in Scottish football) appeared to hamper his chances of the Hibs job:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/alan-pattullo-strange-case-of-michael-o-neill-and-hibs-1-3938050

There's no question of what a good player he was. Before one of their games in the Euros he was asked about the atmosphere and if he had experience of dealing with pressure situations where that could be a factor, he talked about games he had been in and didn't mention the Edinburgh derby, which I found a bit strange.

G B Young
22-09-2016, 12:13 PM
There's no question of what a good player he was. Before one of their games in the Euros he was asked about the atmosphere and if he had experience of dealing with pressure situations where that could be a factor, he talked about games he had been in and didn't mention the Edinburgh derby, which I found a bit strange.

Maybe the way things went at the managerial interviews soured him a little towards the club, otherwise I can't see why he might have an issue with talking about his time at Easter Road. Might be something someone could ask him about if they're going along to this event?

JimBHibees
22-09-2016, 01:09 PM
Maybe the way things went at the managerial interviews soured him a little towards the club, otherwise I can't see why he might have an issue with talking about his time at Easter Road. Might be something someone could ask him about if they're going along to this event?

Do remember him mentioning he went to a game at ER and indicated he was blanked by the bold RP.

jacomo
22-09-2016, 04:30 PM

You can't really blame him, to be honest.

He pretty much pins the blame on someone close to Fenlon for starting that rumour.

Our loss, too.

Ich liebe Deek
22-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Met Michael O Neill once at Security in Dublin airport.Told him he was a Hibs legend and shook his hand.He asked me if I was on the same flight.Considering everyone goes through the same security gate this was a stupid question to ask and he knew it.It turned really awkward as we passed each other 3 or 4 times in the winding queue.Great player and good to see him doing well in the management game.

Booked4Being-Ugly
22-09-2016, 05:32 PM
He spat the dummy latterly in his Hibs playing days and I can't remember why.

He effectively just went through the motions in his last dozen games leading to a significant number of Hibs fans booing him as a result.

Ollie Reed
22-09-2016, 06:05 PM
A good, honest guy who probably doesn't harbour a grudge on the club, but the stirrer(s) who tried to wreck his managerial career. Shameful. However, his intelligence and integrity throughout proves he's a class guy off the park and on it, he was a magnificent player and vastly underrated.

Anyone who loves their football will have a good evening.

JimBHibees
22-09-2016, 06:29 PM
You can't really blame him, to be honest.

He pretty much pins the blame on someone close to Fenlon for starting that rumour.

Our loss, too.

Think potter was putting it about also.

Enough said
22-09-2016, 07:27 PM

Michael had met with Petrie and co for an interview regarding the hibs job. He was told 24 hours later he was being offered the job which he gladly accepted. The next evening his agent called to say" butcher was the new hibs manger" no call from rod to explain why, that's the reason Michael doesn't really talk a lot about hibs.

JimBHibees
22-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Michael had met with Petrie and co for an interview regarding the hibs job. He was told 24 hours later he was being offered the job which he gladly accepted. The next evening his agent called to say" butcher was the new hibs manger" no call from rod to explain why, that's the reason Michael doesn't really talk a lot about hibs.

I think it was Fenlon that got the job.

caithnesshibee
22-09-2016, 07:39 PM
He spat the dummy latterly in his Hibs playing days and I can't remember why.

He effectively just went through the motions in his last dozen games leading to a significant number of Hibs fans booing him as a result.
If I remember correctly he downed tools after agreeing a pre contract with Coventry! Could be wrong though, it was a long time ago.

Enough said
22-09-2016, 07:43 PM
I think it was Fenlon that got the job.

Maybe your right mate, would of been a good appointment. May never of won the Scottish cup though 👍🏻

G B Young
22-09-2016, 08:25 PM
Think potter was putting it about also.

That's what I heard too. Quite what he would have against O'Neill I can't think - or does his loathing of Hibs extend to trying to scupper a promising manager getting the job at ER?

Edit: Seems Potter was pretty close to Fenlon...

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/levein-reveals-he-helped-pat-fenlon-get-hibs-job-1-3168397

Rougier45
22-09-2016, 08:39 PM
Michael is a Hibs legend and lovely man - did he not cross for Harper to volley home in New Years Derby - what a night that was.

Petrie treated him like Crap and like Sauzee it was a disgrace / rod should be nowhere near Hibs

eastterrace
22-09-2016, 09:00 PM
Michael is a Hibs legend and lovely man - did he not cross for Harper to volley home in New Years Derby - what a night that was. Petrie treated him like Crap and like Sauzee it was a disgrace / rod should be nowhere near Hibs Harper was back in the seventies sure oneil was in the 80s can't remember them playing together

FitbaFolkKen
22-09-2016, 09:07 PM

I had the pleasure of spending a couple of hours chatting to him earlier in the year, he talked very fondly of the team back then. "On our day we were unstoppable with me, Crunchie, Darren and Keith we had some fantastic players."Alex Miller left no stone unturned and was relentless in preparation.

He spoke very highly of Hibs and said it was a club in a great place to move forward. It was interesting because because he commented that lots of foreign buyers are investing heavily in English clubs where clubs North of the border are better positioned to achieve the success they are looking for. For example if you invested 50 million in Hibs you would have a realistic chance of Champions League football, whereas that kind of money might not even get you out of the Championship in England.

FitbaFolkKen
22-09-2016, 09:11 PM
Harper was back in the seventies sure oneil was in the 80s can't remember them playing together

Kevin Harper on the volley and Mikey with a near post header into Gilles Rousset - Cracking game, definitely the 90's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22VILslJNB0

Feels rude not sharing ;)

eastterrace
22-09-2016, 09:14 PM
Kevin Harper on the volley and Mikey with a near post header into Gilles Rousset - Cracking game, definitely the 90's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22VILslJNB0 Feels rude not sharing ;) sorry I thought you meant joe Harper

Edinburgher
23-09-2016, 12:42 AM
Really liked O`Neil as a player - he score one of the best goals I have seen in my time at ER.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgDNxueTtA (at around 2.55) :agree:

Auckland Hibs
23-09-2016, 12:54 AM
Loved Micheal O'Neill when he was at Hibs - classy player who scored some cracking goals.

Remember him being linked with a move down south just before we played Motherwell away on a Friday night Skysports game (finished 0-0)

- recall a very boozy Hibs support singing "Michael O'Neill is Jesus Christ" most of the game.

Did we turn down circa $1m from Leicester City for him?

Frazerbob
23-09-2016, 09:34 AM
MO'N is a great guy and was a very good player, all be it with a dubious attitude at times. Petrie ****ed him over big time when appointing Fenlon. What a dreadful affair that was!

What strikes me about this however.......the Corn Exchange at £16 a ticket for a question/answer session, no meal etc? I know some great bands that would love such a gig!

NAE NOOKIE
23-09-2016, 09:45 AM
I had the pleasure of spending a couple of hours chatting to him earlier in the year, he talked very fondly of the team back then. "On our day we were unstoppable with me, Crunchie, Darren and Keith we had some fantastic players."Alex Miller left no stone unturned and was relentless in preparation.

He spoke very highly of Hibs and said it was a club in a great place to move forward. It was interesting because because he commented that lots of foreign buyers are investing heavily in English clubs where clubs North of the border are better positioned to achieve the success they are looking for. For example if you invested 50 million in Hibs you would have a realistic chance of Champions League football, whereas that kind of money might not even get you out of the Championship in England.

That's a point I've made on here a number of times when the question of the ownership of Hibs has come up. At this time when you look at the comparative standard of Celtic and Sevco you probably wouldn't even have to invest anything like 50 million to win the league, especially at a club like Hibs where everything is already in place stadium and training ground wise. On top of that the crowds we are pulling in on the back of winning the cup shows the potential of this club, imagine if we could actually challenge regularly for the title, we probably would have to fill in the corners and stick another deck on the main stand :greengrin

Yorkshire HFC
23-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Harper was back in the seventies sure oneil was in the 80s can't remember them playing together

My memory is that he was never really taken to by the Hibs support for some reason. Perhaps because of his style, he was not one for chasing lost causes, he could be seen as a luxury player - the Scottish disease!

I also remember the volley he scored against Motherwell - terrific goal.

Miller put together a fantastic team - Jackson, Wright, McAllister, Weir.

eezyrider
23-09-2016, 08:43 PM
My memory is that he was never really taken to by the Hibs support for some reason. Perhaps because of his style, he was not one for chasing lost causes, he could be seen as a luxury player - the Scottish disease!

I also remember the volley he scored against Motherwell - terrific goal.

Miller put together a fantastic team - Jackson, Wright, McAllister, Weir.

I remember him being idolised by the Hibs support. Clearly remember when Andy Cole had been sold to Manchester United for a staggering (at the time) £7 million there was a banner at the next Hibs match with the legend "Michael Oneill - only for sale for £7million + Andy Cole."

What lost the Hibs support was his dramamtic change of attitude one he'd agreed to join Coventry. He seemed to have little interest after that.

If he had become Hibs manager and had the same start he had at Northern Ireland he would have been hounded out. All credit to N Ireland for sticking by him.

EZ

Nakedmanoncrack
23-09-2016, 10:01 PM
I remember him being idolised by the Hibs support. Clearly remember when Andy Cole had been sold to Manchester United for a staggering (at the time) £7 million there was a banner at the next Hibs match with the legend "Michael Oneill - only for sale for £7million + Andy Cole."

What lost the Hibs support was his dramamtic change of attitude one he'd agreed to join Coventry. He seemed to have little interest after that.

If he had become Hibs manager and had the same start he had at Northern Ireland he would have been hounded out. All credit to N Ireland for sticking by him.

EZ

Was one of my all time favourite Hibs players.

sleeping giant
24-09-2016, 09:07 AM
He gave up his time for Lewis Stevensons testimonial auction donations.
You could have bid to have a steak dinner with him :-)

Great player.