PDA

View Full Version : Bartley red card rescinded

Ozyhibby
21-09-2016, 05:05 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/hibs-midfielder-marvin-bartley-has-red-card-rescinded-1-4236814

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevie Reid
21-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Thought it was harsh. Good to have him back for Sat, but yet another bad decision has cost us.

Billy Whizz
21-09-2016, 05:10 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/hibs-midfielder-marvin-bartley-has-red-card-rescinded-1-4236814

Thought the appeal was tomorrow?
Great news for the big man

B.H.F.C
At the game I thought it was a red. Don't know if it was more the reaction of the ref that gave me that perception. You could tell he was going for the red the second it happened.

PiemanP
Awful decision right under the referees nose too. Glad it's been rescinded. Still doesn't get us the 3 points back that we lost as a result...

lord bunberry
The referee should be banned after that decision. The fact that he was so close to the incident makes the decision even worse.

Stevie Reid
21-09-2016, 05:11 PM
Thought the appeal was tomorrow?
Great news for the big man

Originally was, but they had time today.

Stevie Reid
21-09-2016, 05:12 PM
Glad to have him back for Sat, though I remember him not having a very good game against Falkirk in the away play off, and the pitch seemed to be a factor.

Would much rather have had him for the remainder of the game last week.

HibbyAndy
21-09-2016, 05:14 PM
That ershole of a ref cost us 3 points and it was right under his nose!

DISGUSTING !!

northstandhibby
21-09-2016, 05:15 PM

A shocking state of affairs. So called refs getting big calls blatantly wrong then it's corrected afterwards which by that time the results already in with no chance of being changed.

Absolutely no doubt Forrester should have been sent off last night which similarly to us would have changed the course of the game.

Must be time for live video feeds for the big calls.

Shocking.

GGTTH

Keith_M
21-09-2016, 05:15 PM
Yet another 'after the game' decision that does us no good whatsoever.

blackpoolhibs
21-09-2016, 05:18 PM
The ref should not referee again for a long time, he couldnt wait to get his card out and proved to me he makes rash decisions even when seeing it clearly.

He would never have sent Bartley off if he played for celtc or sevco.

Mr_F
21-09-2016, 05:22 PM
Game should be replayed from that point & the ref reprimanded for that

Hibee87
21-09-2016, 05:25 PM
Anyone know in the last 4 years how many times we have had a player sent off, only for it to be rescinded, and how many of those games were we winning. And went on to lose or draw?

snooky
21-09-2016, 05:26 PM
Game should be replayed from that point & the ref reprimanded for that

Good luck with that one, Mr_F :whistle:

BroxburnHibee
21-09-2016, 05:28 PM
Didn't think it was a red card at the time. Yet again a refs decision has a major impact on us.

Coincidence?

Mikeystewart
21-09-2016, 05:36 PM
I must be in the minority that think it was a just red. It looked like he went over the ball and in those cases your always giving the referee a decision to make. Happy it's been rescinded. I'm more disappointed in the lack of finishing and the way Ayr carved us open. Hopefully just a blip.

BroxburnHibee
21-09-2016, 05:41 PM
I must be in the minority that think it was a just red. It looked like he went over the ball and in those cases your always giving the referee a decision to make. Happy it's been rescinded. I'm more disappointed in the lack of finishing and the way Ayr carved us open. Hopefully just a blip.

Can understand why it looked like a red but what's forgotten is he was fouled twice in the build up to the challenge which the incompetent ref conveniently missed.

wookie70
21-09-2016, 05:43 PM
I thought red at game and also when I watched it back. In a bizarre way it makes it worse it being rescinded as it now feels like an injustice. Amazing how often bad calls have went against us over the years. STruggle to think of many players sent off against us who were subsequently found innocent.

Stevie Reid
21-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Anyone know in the last 4 years how many times we have had a player sent off, only for it to be rescinded, and how many of those games were we winning. And went on to lose or draw?

Don't know, but in one season against Hearts alone (2012-13), three of the games we had against them finished in draws - in one, Templeton was given a retrospective red card, in another Ryan Stevenson was sent off after the game, and in the third, Leigh's amazing free kick goal wasn't given despite being a yard over the line. We beat them in the other two games.

The season we went down, the ridiculous offside decision against Jordon Forster may have denied us a point that could have changed the course of the end of that season.

No shortage of bad decisions gone against us in big games in recent years.

Gatecrasher
21-09-2016, 05:48 PM
Aye but the **** ref already done the damage.

SRHibs
21-09-2016, 05:48 PM
Never looked like a red, but then I came on here and began to doubt myself after reading the comments about the challenge. Ref was ****ing ***** all game.

Dashing Bob S
21-09-2016, 06:03 PM
It certainly cost us the game, but I'm going to swim against the tide, fly solo, stand alone, sip the orange juice while others knock back the jagermeister shots and say: the ref did okay. It was a bad challenge, and like many I was convinced it was a straight red. Now, seeing the replay, it looked a lot worse than it was and a red was harsh. So yes, an error from the ref, but an understandable one.

I was disappointed that we couldn't close the game out with 10 men, and we really need to improve here.

Now we need to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down, keep those toys in the pram, forget the poor us/hard luck stories, take it on the chin, and focus on the job at hand. Which is three points from Palmerston.

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-09-2016, 06:04 PM
But the game could have been out of sight by the time Bartley was sent off and we could have made a better tactical change to adapt to 10 v 11. But what happened is gone and we should look forwards not backwards.

Libby Hibby
21-09-2016, 06:05 PM
I thought at the time it was a red albeit very harsh, glad it's rescinded but big Marv being sent off cost us the game and 3 points

Waxy
21-09-2016, 06:11 PM
Like to see the percentage of these things regarding us. We seem to be on the wrong side of these things alot.

3pm
21-09-2016, 06:12 PM
Don't know, but in one season against Hearts alone (2012-13), three of the games we had against them finished in draws - in one, Templeton was given a retrospective red card, in another Ryan Stevenson was sent off after the game, and in the third, Leigh's amazing free kick goal wasn't given despite being a yard over the line. We beat them in the other two games.

The season we went down, the ridiculous offside decision against Jordon Forster may have denied us a point that could have changed the course of the end of that season.

Ryan McGowan got pulled up as well. Dunno if it was that season.

MyJo
21-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Never in doubt IMO, was a yellow card for a clumsy challenge but never a straight red.

That decision changed the game and was instrumental in us losing those 3 points.

Glad Bartley will be back for QotS as they are a good attacking side that will cause us problems and Bartley is good at breaking up play and keeping the pressure off the defence.

Smartie
21-09-2016, 06:21 PM

I wasn't at the game and didn't see the challenge.

But I was at the one last year when McGinn got a red-card that was later rescinded and couldn't for the life of me see how that one was overturned.

Strange things seem to happen at these appeals. Sometimes we get decent, genuine ones (imo) turned down but sometimes we seem to get these ones go for us.

It's funny how keen the authorities seem to be to clamp down on celebrations and time-wasting yet they don't seem to be as bothered about bad tackles.

J-C
21-09-2016, 06:25 PM
I thought it was a red where I sat but after seeing the highlights it was more clumsy then a nasty challenge.

Green_one
21-09-2016, 06:31 PM
Yet another 'after the game' decision that does us no good whatsoever.

Never looked like a red to me and the ref never hesitated. Terrible decision that simply cost us the game. I think it was very clear from the way the decision was made that there was no case to answer.

Referees in Scotland :confused::rolleyes::grr: I have always said that a key issue in Scottish football is the ability of the refs and their view on physical play.

Dibben
21-09-2016, 06:33 PM
It's great that it has been rescinded, but as others have said, it's the effect on the day that we will never get fixed.

emerald green
21-09-2016, 06:52 PM
The standard of refereeing in this league is f****** terrible. He couldn't wait to get the red card out.

Bartley was actually surrounded by four AU players when he lunged in (rashly) for the ball and that was all the excuse the referee needed to send him off. Yet John McGinn was getting kicked all over the park all afternoon.

Red card rescinded, but it's too late now because the damage has already been done.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-09-2016, 06:53 PM
Good stuff, love the big felly. :aok:

givescotlandfreedom
21-09-2016, 06:58 PM
He was keen to send Bartley off yet let bottles giving an Ayr player a 2nd yellow right after it. If he's not cheating he's totally incompetent and shouldn't be near a game either way.

Pedantic_Hibee
21-09-2016, 07:07 PM
Screamed at the time that the ref could have bought himself ten seconds to make a decision, he is the ref afterall. But no, the red card was out before Bartley had even got back to his feet.

Baldy Foghorn
21-09-2016, 07:10 PM
I thought at the time it was a red albeit very harsh, glad it's rescinded but big Marv being sent off cost us the game and 3 points

Referee who I'd never heard of sent him off. Was never a red card in a Month of Sunday's......

Jonnyboy
21-09-2016, 07:16 PM

I sit right next to my nephew, high up in the East and he thought it was red while I thought it was yellow

BoomtownHibees
21-09-2016, 07:42 PM
I don't think it changed the game that much to be honest. We played long enough with 11 men and only scored the one goal so there was no guarantee of us scoring a second with Marv still on.

Plus I don't know how having Marv there would have prevented either of the Ayr goals

Lancs Harp
21-09-2016, 07:46 PM
I was shocked it was a red. If the ref had given a yellow I dont think anyone would have batted an eyelid. An opinion vindicated by the card rescinded.

PatHead
21-09-2016, 07:48 PM
Didn't think it was a red at the time. The ref couldn't wait to get his red card out ala Craig Thompson. Should have assessed the situation to give himself time then given a card, if necessary.

Up until that point thought Big Marv was man of the match.

O'Rourke3
21-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Did I not read on the Ref thread that this guy is the new "next best" thing....

Sent via the bushes @ EM

JimBHibees
21-09-2016, 08:02 PM
I don't think it changed the game that much to be honest. We played long enough with 11 men and only scored the one goal so there was no guarantee of us scoring a second with Marv still on.

Plus I don't know how having Marv there would have prevented either of the Ayr goals

We didn't need to score again but not losing goals would have been good.

21-09-2016, 08:05 PM
It's good the red has been rescinded. This shows the ref up as mis-judging that decision but like an earlier poster said, that aside the ref didn't "have a shocker" as we've seen from many other refs at ER through the years.

The red card played a part in us not securing 3, or possibly even 1 point but please folks let's not kid ourselves on ..... when you consider the number of chances we didn't put away and given the possession we had in the game up until around the 70 minute mark when Marv was sent off, we played a major role in our own downfall and not winning that match on Saturday. To blame the ref ENTIRELY is to look past our own shortcomings in this game, IMO.

We need to move on, be happy we have Marv back available for selection, stop playing the "poor us" card like so many other Clubs/fans do and control what we can - our performance in the next game. Win that and we're back top of the league. Simples :wink:

BoomtownHibees
21-09-2016, 08:06 PM
We didn't need to score again but not losing goals would have been good.

I agree. I just don't see how Marv still being on would have prevented the goals that Ayr scored

Libby Hibby
21-09-2016, 08:11 PM
I agree. I just don't see how Marv still being on would have prevented the goals that Ayr scored

We were in full control, coasting the game...Ayr did not have a sniff at our goal until we were down to 10...if we had kept 11, I'm pretty sure the way the game was going at that time, we would've seen it out very comfortably.

Going down to 10 men allowed Ayr back into the game.

Carheenlea
21-09-2016, 08:12 PM
It's absolutely ridiculous the amount of refereeing decisions that get overruled in our favour.post match. The occasional error is acceptable, but having as many as we do can have a major influence on the club's fortunes.

BoomtownHibees
21-09-2016, 08:14 PM
We were in full control, coasting the game...Ayr did not have a sniff at our goal until we were down to 10...if we had kept 11, I'm pretty sure the way the game was going at that time, we would've seen it out very comfortably.

They could quite easily have got the corner which led to the first goal whether we had 11 men or no

B.H.F.C
21-09-2016, 08:26 PM

Losing a crap goal from a corner changed things much more than the sending off. And that was entirely preventable with 10 me or not.

It was similar to the QOTS game. We were in total control, lost a goal and caved in. And that was with 11 men.

We need to start killing games before it gets to the point where these things can have such a major affect.

Onion
21-09-2016, 08:34 PM
Low and behold... another wrong red card decision has cost us dear. Yet the Huns and Celtic have escaped 3 blatant red cards in the last 3 games to allow them to progress in the LC and grab a point in the league. Horrendous referees in Scotland.

Onion
21-09-2016, 08:38 PM
They could quite easily have got the corner which led to the first goal whether we had 11 men or no

That's as maybe, but there is no question that the SO gave Ayr renewed hope to grab an unlikely win. It was a huge mistake by the ref in their favour.

CentreLine
21-09-2016, 08:46 PM
Think the ref is as much a victim here as Bartley inasmuch as the Ayr player made such a good job of his simulation that the ref was taken in. Players make it very hard indeed for referees. The Ayr player should now be pulled up for his spectacular piece of playacting.
We are always far too keen to crucify the officials. They see the incident once in real time. Diving cheating players know that and do their best to gain an advantage by playing on the human fallibility of officials.

DaveF
21-09-2016, 08:50 PM
Well I was another who thought it was a deserved red card in real time but now Lennon has a 'problem' in that does he play the same team that performed so poorly on Saturday?

ekhibee
21-09-2016, 09:10 PM

Yep, remember all that well unfortunately. That season, Was it not the game against DU as well, where they got a penalty for a tackle outside the box that cost us points as well? It was McGivern that made the tackle, but it was clearly outside the box.

staunchhibby
21-09-2016, 09:17 PM
That ref has been involved in controversy in previous matches.Think it involved red card also.

LaMotta
21-09-2016, 09:30 PM
Can't believe the number of people on here who were so keen to stick the boot into Bartley claiming it was a stonewall red card even after seeing the replay.

Didn't look like a red at the time and the replays just confirmed that.

Sir David Gray
21-09-2016, 09:31 PM
Well I was another who thought it was a deserved red card in real time but now Lennon has a 'problem' in that does he play the same team that performed so poorly on Saturday?

If Dylan McGeouch is anywhere close to being match fit, he needs to start on Saturday.

We're so much better in midfield when he's on the pitch.

BlackSheep
21-09-2016, 09:33 PM
Those who are saying that the goals would have happened regardless of Bartley's presence are not looking at the bigger picture.

The first goal was down to poor marking at the corner... having one less man makes zonal marking in the box at corners that bit more difficult.

The second goal showed that the 10 players on the pitch had very little left in the tank and were likely saving it for attacks... letting the Ayr player run two thirds the length of the field unchallenged demonstrates my point... and secondly the marking/player coverage in the box left a lot to be desired... but this again can be down to having less men on the field.

I always thought the red card was harsh, and after seeing the replays,I didn't change my mind... yellow yes, but not a red in that fashion.

The sending off changed the flow of the match and literally had us chasing the game, despite having the 1 goal advantage.

Lancs Harp
21-09-2016, 09:42 PM
The sending off clearly did effect the outcome of the game. Did anyone think we were going to lose at 1-0 and with 11 men still on the park?

Having said that, it was a poor performance and I hope we arent trying to hide that behind the red card. Ayr were pretty dismal and they beat us ten men or not. Hopefully we've learned the lesson and become stronger for it. Im expecting a positive reaction from the boys on saturday.

Hibernia&Alba
21-09-2016, 09:49 PM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it? A decision that likely cost us three points, though we should still have seen the game out.

Booked4Being-Ugly
21-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Was never a red and has ultimately cost us the 3 points but we shouldn't have collapsed like an old clothes horse.

Eyrie
21-09-2016, 09:59 PM
I'm pleased Bartley's red card has been rescinded as it looked harsh at the time although I could see on the highlights why it could have been given.

But going down to ten men wasn't the reason we lost on Saturday. We lost due to too many poor individual performances, too slow a tempo, a failure to take the chances we did eventually create and a failure to make the right substitution in response to losing a man.

Stevie Reid
21-09-2016, 10:45 PM
I'm pleased Bartley's red card has been rescinded as it looked harsh at the time although I could see on the highlights why it could have been given.

But going down to ten men wasn't the reason we lost on Saturday. We lost due to too many poor individual performances, too slow a tempo, a failure to take the chances we did eventually create and a failure to make the right substitution in response to losing a man.

We didn't play well, but we're winning when the wrong decision took place. Going down to ten against any opposition is significant.

marleyhib
21-09-2016, 11:41 PM
Decision cost us the game, Ayr did nowt while we had 11 while admittedly we were not great, frustrating.

Dashing Bob S
21-09-2016, 11:52 PM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it? A decision that likely cost us three points, though we should still have seen the game out.

There were three other possible outcomes:

1. We could have played crap, a substandard performance, but finished with a full team and won.
2. We could have played well, a decent performance, finished with a full team and won convincingly.
3. We could have played well, a decent performance, but had a (bogus) red card and won.

But the outcome was:

4. We played crap, a substandard performance, and had a (bogus) red card, so lost.

Yes, if we had played well, we'd have won, even with a man down. (No 3).

But it is academic. All teams will play badly from time to time. The fact is that the refs error made what should have been a No 1 outcome a No.4 outcome.

SonOfDavidFrancey
22-09-2016, 06:30 AM
It certainly cost us the game, but I'm going to swim against the tide, fly solo, stand alone, sip the orange juice while others knock back the jagermeister shots and say: the ref did okay. It was a bad challenge, and like many I was convinced it was a straight red. Now, seeing the replay, it looked a lot worse than it was and a red was harsh. So yes, an error from the ref, but an understandable one.

I was disappointed that we couldn't close the game out with 10 men, and we really need to improve here.

Now we need to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down, keep those toys in the pram, forget the poor us/hard luck stories, take it on the chin, and focus on the job at hand. Which is three points from Palmerston.

Orange juice for me please waiter

Bristolhibby
22-09-2016, 06:34 AM
I thought red at game and also when I watched it back. In a bizarre way it makes it worse it being rescinded as it now feels like an injustice. Amazing how often bad calls have went against us over the years. STruggle to think of many players sent off against us who were subsequently found innocent.

Grant Brebner v Them.

J

lord bunberry
22-09-2016, 06:55 AM
Think the ref is as much a victim here as Bartley inasmuch as the Ayr player made such a good job of his simulation that the ref was taken in. Players make it very hard indeed for referees. The Ayr player should now be pulled up for his spectacular piece of playacting.
We are always far too keen to crucify the officials. They see the incident once in real time. Diving cheating players know that and do their best to gain an advantage by playing on the human fallibility of officials.
There are times when this is the case, but the ref last week was so close to the incident and he had his card out before the Ayr player had a chance to perform any play acting.

Baldy Foghorn
22-09-2016, 07:19 AM
We didn't play well, but we're winning when the wrong decision took place. Going down to ten against any opposition is significant.

Spot on, it gave Ayr impetus and a bit of self belief.....Game changer

mjhibby
22-09-2016, 07:22 AM
There are times when this is the case, but the ref last week was so close to the incident and he had his card out before the Ayr player had a chance to perform any play acting.

The fact he flashed the card so quickly showed his inexperience. It didn't look a red at the time and as Ayr had persistently fouled meant it wasn't out of synch with what had happened. We probably would have won the game as we were really pressing them and chances were coming. The sending off seemed to really knock us out of our stride and we never adjusted the team in time. Immensely frustrating that it is now rescinded but it's finished now and it's on to Palmerston. If we keep creating the chances we will give ourselves a great chance of winning. A win on Saturday and we will be back on track.

lord bunberry
22-09-2016, 07:27 AM
The fact he flashed the card so quickly showed his inexperience. It didn't look a red at the time and as Ayr had persistently fouled meant it wasn't out of synch with what had happened. We probably would have won the game as we were really pressing them and chances were coming. The sending off seemed to really knock us out of our stride and we never adjusted the team in time. Immensely frustrating that it is now rescinded but it's finished now and it's on to Palmerston. If we keep creating the chances we will give ourselves a great chance of winning. A win on Saturday and we will be back on track.
:agree: The red card also gave Ayr a boost.

Jones28
22-09-2016, 08:18 AM
I sit right next to my nephew, high up in the East and he thought it was red while I thought it was yellow

I thought it was a red from where I was in the FF, looked a bit lungey for modern football

Onion
22-09-2016, 11:45 AM
I thought it was a red from where I was in the FF, looked a bit lungey for modern football

Knew the minute I saw, it was never a red card offence and the referee was over-excited and taken in by the AU player reaction. Seen that kind of thing far too often against Hibs, but rarely in our favour. The 3 straight reds that should have been given to the Huns and Celtic over the last week simply make the situation worse.

Craig Gordon's disgusting assault on the Alloa player was reminiscent of Schumacher 1982. The Compliance Offer should be banning that clown for 6 games, post-match.

Man Down Under
22-09-2016, 12:11 PM
After seeing the reaction from the match day thread I thought it was pretty bad, after seeing the highlights I thought people may have over reacted. Many people who posted were at the game though and I wasn't so not sure what to think. Glad it was nullified though.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk

ahibby
22-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Knew the minute I saw, it was never a red card offence and the referee was over-excited and taken in by the AU player reaction. Seen that kind of thing far too often against Hibs, but rarely in our favour. The 3 straight reds that should have been given to the Huns and Celtic over the last week simply make the situation worse.

Craig Gordon's disgusting assault on the Alloa player was reminiscent of Schumacher 1982. The Compliance Offer should be banning that clown for 6 games, post-match.

What has made it worse is that Rangers and Celtic as you point out have gotten away with yellows this week when in both cases everyone but the referees agree they should have been straight reds. SFA really need to get a grip of this or even more fans will become so disgusted that they walk away for good.

Craig_HFC
22-09-2016, 01:36 PM
Thought it was really harsh at the game but big Marv being sent off wasn't the reason we lost the game.

Highland_Hibee
22-09-2016, 02:40 PM
Strange I seemed to be one of few who thought a red card was very harsh yet now it's been overturned everyone is outraged?

northstandhibby
22-09-2016, 02:46 PM
Thought it was really harsh at the game but big Marv being sent off wasn't the reason we lost the game.

I'd be surprised if even the Ayr Utd manager didn't admit the sending off was the main event that changed the game in favor of Ayr Utd.

Sending offs change games. That's why it's so important referees are competent and non-biased.

How Harry Forrester escaped a red card on tuesday night was one of the blatantly worst decisions I have ever seen it was a shocker.

GGTTH

Craig_HFC
22-09-2016, 02:53 PM
I'd be surprised if even the Ayr Utd manager didn't admit the sending off was the main event that changed the game in favor of Ayr Utd.

Sending offs change games. That's why it's so important referees are competent and non-biased.

How Harry Forrester escaped a red card on tuesday night was one of the blatantly worst decisions I have ever seen it was a shocker.

GGTTH

We should have been 3 or 4 nil up before Bartley was sent off.

northstandhibby
22-09-2016, 02:57 PM
We should have been 3 or 4 nil up before Bartley was sent off.

Agreed.

Still doesn't change the fact the sending off changed the game. Don't know how anyone could think otherwise. It was the main reason we lost. We were comfortable at 1-0 and after the sending off that changed because we had one less player than they did.

GGTTH

Craig_HFC
22-09-2016, 02:59 PM
Agreed.

Still doesn't change the fact the sending off changed the game. Don't know how anyone could think otherwise. It was the main reason we lost. We were comfortable at 1-0 and after the sending off that changed because we had one less player than they did.

GGTTH

It did change the game but it isn't the reason why we lost. We lost because we didn't take all of our chances. If we had then we would have won, regardless of the sending off.

northstandhibby
22-09-2016, 03:00 PM
It did change the game but it isn't the reason why we lost. We lost because we didn't take all of our chances. If we had then we would have won, regardless of the sending off.

:greengrin

Fair enough. I think we're both right.

GGTTH

Swedish hibee
22-09-2016, 03:06 PM
I thought it was a red.

GreenOnions
22-09-2016, 05:26 PM
Was shocked at the time to see a red awarded - especially as Bartley was being impeded just before that and had done well to retain the ball. We should still have won the game though.

Although Bartley did well breaking up play he is a weak link going forward and, apart from simple short stuff, his passing is generally inadequate. We need more creativity against teams that sit in and I'd much rather have seen Fyvie sitting with Boyle or Harris in instead of Marv. Bartley should really only be considered in games where we expect to be under more persistent pressure.

Stevie Reid
22-09-2016, 06:17 PM
I find it really disappointing that so many people on here choose to have a go at the team, rather than condemn an official for what was (by his own admission) a very bad decision.

No one is saying that we were playing well, but we were doing enough to win the game, and there were still 23 minutes to go when Bartley went off - we'll never know, but with the chances we were creating we could well have gone on to win by more.

Yes we were wasteful in front of goal, but does anyone on here think we would have lost that game had we kept eleven men on the park? If the answer is no, then Bartley's red card affected the result way more than Hibs' profligacy in front of goal.

Going a man down against any opposition makes the game much harder, and the fact that it came from yet another poor decision against us is very hard to swallow. Criticising the team for not having more of a cushion to mitigate that bad decision is pretty inane in my book.

Pete
22-09-2016, 06:24 PM
I find it really disappointing that so many people on here choose to have a go at the team, rather than condemn an official for what was (by his own admission) a very bad decision.

No one is saying that we were playing well, but we were doing enough to win the game, and there were still 23 minutes to go when Bartley went off - we'll never know, but with the chances we were creating we could well have gone on to win by more.

Yes we were wasteful in front of goal, but does anyone on here think we would have lost that game had we kept eleven men on the park? If the answer is no, then Bartley's red card affected the result way more than Hibs' profligacy in front of goal.

Going a man down against any opposition makes the game much harder, and the fact that it came from yet another poor decision against us is very hard to swallow. Criticising the team for not having more of a cushion to mitigate that bad decision is pretty inane in my book.

All that needs to be said and I'm surprised there are still a few offering a contrary point of view.

In fact I'm not surprised at all. :rolleyes:

Baldy Foghorn
22-09-2016, 06:54 PM

Spot on..........

Eyrie
22-09-2016, 07:00 PM

It's hardly inane to point out that the outcome of the game was in our own hands for over an hour and we failed to make sure of the outcome by playing better, taking our chances or even making the right tactical adjustments to cope with the red card.

It was our own failings that meant that the red card was critical. If we'd been 3-0 up does anyone believe we'd have lost with ten men?

And I've seen enough Hibs games to know that being 1-0 up and looking comfortable means nothing when the opposition get a lucky break and manage to sneak a goal.

Alternatively, we can just whine about the referee and ignore the things that we can control. But that would be inane.

Stevie Reid
22-09-2016, 08:09 PM
It's hardly inane to point out that the outcome of the game was in our own hands for over an hour and we failed to make sure of the outcome by playing better, taking our chances or even making the right tactical adjustments to cope with the red card.

It was our own failings that meant that the red card was critical. If we'd been 3-0 up does anyone believe we'd have lost with ten men?

And I've seen enough Hibs games to know that being 1-0 up and looking comfortable means nothing when the opposition get a lucky break and manage to sneak a goal.

Alternatively, we can just whine about the referee and ignore the things that we can control. But that would be inane.

What am I ignoring?

Eyrie
22-09-2016, 09:49 PM
What am I ignoring?

That the situation was of our own making because we should have been far enough ahead that the red card would have been irrelevant.

Stevie Reid
22-09-2016, 10:23 PM
That the situation was of our own making because we should have been far enough ahead that the red card would have been irrelevant.

Getting a player wrongly sent off was not of our own making. Being one nil up and winning the game when it happened was.

emerald green
23-09-2016, 11:46 AM

:agree: So long as Hibs are only winning by the odd goal there is always the chance something like this will happen. It's happened quite a few times over the last few seasons, and it's still happening, simply because Hibs, as a team, are not taking enough of the chances they create against teams like Ayr United.

Hibs also seemed to be all over the shop after they went down to 10 men. I think a Hibs player was quoted as saying they should still have seen the game out at 1-0 even with 10 men. Something they also did not do.