PDA

View Full Version : Alan Cousin

Hamish
20-09-2016, 06:17 PM
I see the death of Alan Cousin has been announced. Made his name in the great Dundee team of the
early 60's. I was a wee laddie when he played for us and maybe the slightly older guys will have their memories of him.

Lago
20-09-2016, 06:21 PM
I see the death of Alan Cousin has been announced. Made his name in the great Dundee team of the
early 60's. I was a wee laddie when he played for us and maybe the slightly older guys will have their memories of him.
A really great player, it was a time when there was more to Scottish football than the OF.

Jonnyboy
20-09-2016, 06:47 PM
Sorry to hear this. Cousin was an excellent player for Dundee and when he joined Hibs he seemed to fit right in

James70
20-09-2016, 07:17 PM
I remember him from that great Dundee team. They won the league beating the now defunct Rangers 5-1 at Ibrox then had a fantastic run to the semi finals of the European Cup. RIP

CentreLine
20-09-2016, 07:18 PM
Was the first Sub for us when they were introduced in 1967 IIRC

brog
20-09-2016, 09:18 PM
Sad news, was a fine player & a gentleman! His favourite trick was the double shuffle, the crowd always cheered when it appeared. He actually scored a goal for Yams, unfortunately while playing for Dundee but as Dee scored 7 at PBS it didn't really matter & in fact that result was instrumental in Yams losing the league on goal average. Played in a great Dundee team alongside the Gay Gordon!

monktonharp
20-09-2016, 09:25 PM
Alan Cousin is I name I do remember. part of a good Dundee mob. also, plenty of "doublers" of him with fitba' cards if I recall. Dundee fans will be in mourning about one of there own. r.i.p

hhibs
20-09-2016, 09:33 PM

Sad news,great player and a true legend for Dundee FC.

A good servant for Hibs but will always be remembered as a Dundee player in what was a fabulous Dundee team.

Forza Fred
21-09-2016, 12:17 AM
I remember Alan well..a native of Alloa I believe.

He operated for Hibs in the old left half position and although perhaps not gifted with lightning pace he was a very accurate deliverer of a final ball.

Seem to remember him scoring in a derby at Easter Road for us, but cannae remember the score...

weecounty hibby
21-09-2016, 08:15 PM
I was good friends with his son all through school and spent a lot of time in his house. A total gentleman who you would never have known was a pro footballer as he didn't show anything of that around the house. A natural sportsman who was an excellent cricketer and tennis player as well. Sad to hear this news

Lago
21-09-2016, 08:16 PM
I was good friends with his son all through school and spent a lot of time in his house. A total gentleman who you would never have known was a pro footballer as he didn't show anything of that around the house. A natural sportsman who was an excellent cricketer and tennis player as well. Sad to hear this news
What a lovely remembrance.

s.a.m
22-09-2016, 06:38 AM

I read a tweet from someone who said he was his Latin teacher?

--------
22-09-2016, 11:19 AM
I read a tweet from someone who said he was his Latin teacher?

I think he was Classics master at Dollar Academy. Good player. Never booked while he was at Dundee - can't remember him being booked at Hibs either.

jdships
22-09-2016, 02:29 PM
RIP
Always had time for a few words when you met up with him
Extremely modest about his football life
Just a nice guy !!

JimBHibees
22-09-2016, 02:40 PM
I think he was Classics master at Dollar Academy. Good player. Never booked while he was at Dundee - can't remember him being booked at Hibs either.

To be fair at that time in football you had to pull a gun to get a warning from a ref. :greengrin

Ollie Reed
22-09-2016, 03:07 PM
Alan was my Latin teacher at Lornshill Academy, plus he taught at Alloa Academy previous to that. He was also my dad's classmate when they were in primary.

A lovely humble fellow, I asked him one time about his footballing career in which he divulged a bit, but I've read many an article today about how much of a gentleman he was. Can only echo those views.

RIP Alan.