PDA

View Full Version : Queen of the South

Dashing Bob S
18-09-2016, 12:10 PM
Just woke up from dreaming about them and the bed was like George Foulkes trousers.

Seriously, Dobbie isn't Messi and we should go there determined to win and regain top slot. We were poor yesterday -it happens- but we still only lost due to Bartley's folly.

Looking forward to see how Hibs respond.

Bring it on.

H18 SFR
18-09-2016, 02:46 PM
Totally agree, bring on next week and hopefully a very hard earned 3 points.

HH81
18-09-2016, 02:55 PM
Just seen QOS playing Tuesday so that should help.

Finn2015
18-09-2016, 10:20 PM
Ive not seen them so far this season, didn't go to the league cup game. What are people's feelings about them? Can they last the pace and keep this form throughout the season or is this just a good run that will most likely fall away? Just asking

monktonharp
18-09-2016, 10:25 PM
Ive not seen them so far this season, didn't go to the league cup game. What are people's feelings about them? Can they last the pace and keep this form throughout the season or is this just a good run that will most likely fall away? Just askingWell, it did have a bit of an effect on us. not saying this will make it harder for them, but glad they are playing on Tuesday. don't know how many of their players are full time, to e honest. good footballing side though, has to be said.

Stevie Reid
19-09-2016, 10:12 AM
They're doing amazingly well so far, and next week will be a very difficult game - that said, I would be surprised if they had the strength in depth to hang on up there over the whole season (though after Falkirk's endeavours last season, I certainly won't rule that out).

Bizarre thing is that they were absolutely woeful against us at ER for the first hour or so until they equalised - I was really surprised at how poor they were. Hopefully we can stop their momentum at the weekend.

The Leith Dutch
19-09-2016, 10:19 AM
Just woke up from dreaming about them and the bed was like George Foulkes trousers.

Seriously, Dobbie isn't Messi and we should go there determined to win and regain top slot. We were poor yesterday -it happens- but we still only lost due to Bartley's folly.

Bring it on.

Hoping you're right but disagree with the bit in bold which is why I'm worried.
I think we were poor going forward - pedestrian and laboured - and failing to score goals when you're in command is what cost us the game.
The two preventable goals and the sending off shouldn't have mattered if we'd made our dominance count and been 3 up in the first half.

If our attacking play is like that against QotS and we're going to be 4 points behind.

Stevie Reid
19-09-2016, 10:23 AM
Hoping you're right but disagree with the bit in bold which is why I'm worried.
I think we were poor going forward - pedestrian and laboured - and failing to score goals when you're in command is what cost us the game.
The two preventable goals and the sending off shouldn't have mattered if we'd made our dominance count and been 3 up in the first half.

If our attacking play is like that against QotS and we're going to be 4 points behind.

Our attacking play won't be like that because Queens will come at us and we will have much more space to exploit as a result.

We did miss a good few chances on Saturday, but to be fair it's the first game this league season where that has cost us. An improvement at both ends is needed to get a result on Saturday.

NAE NOOKIE
19-09-2016, 10:33 AM
No matter what state Queen of the South are in Palmerston is always a tough place to go, you can never take a visit there for granted and its another bloody plastic pitch. I don't care what anybody says those pitches play differently from normal grass ones and a team playing regularly on plastic gains an advantage over teams who don't, even if its a 1% advantage I'm convinced its true.

If it was up to me professional teams wouldn't be allowed to play on synthetic pitches, this is bloody Scotland a place where you cant stop grass from growing. In this day and age of modern technology there is no excuse for not maintaining grass pitches, look at the EPL, apart from the likes of Arsenal and West Ham ( that I know of ) who have hybrid grass/synthetic pitches all the rest are grass and they still look like bowling greens when May comes around. When you add in the fact that most EPL clubs have the added disadvantage of pitches dominated by huge stands which cut out the light and wind we really have no excuse.

The Leith Dutch
19-09-2016, 11:13 AM
Our attacking play won't be like that because Queens will come at us and we will have much more space to exploit as a result.

We did miss a good few chances on Saturday, but to be fair it's the first game this league season where that has cost us. An improvement at both ends is needed to get a result on Saturday.

Yeah - we definitely do better against teams that come and play :)

Hi Heid Yin
19-09-2016, 11:15 AM
No matter what state Queen of the South are in Palmerston is always a tough place to go, you can never take a visit there for granted and its another bloody plastic pitch. I don't care what anybody says those pitches play differently from normal grass ones and a team playing regularly on plastic gains an advantage over teams who don't, even if its a 1% advantage I'm convinced its true.

If it was up to me professional teams wouldn't be allowed to play on synthetic pitches, this is bloody Scotland a place where you cant stop grass from growing. In this day and age of modern technology there is no excuse for not maintaining grass pitches, look at the EPL, apart from the likes of Arsenal and West Ham ( that I know of ) who have hybrid grass/synthetic pitches all the rest are grass and they still look like bowling greens when May comes around. When you add in the fact that most EPL clubs have the added disadvantage of pitches dominated by huge stands which cut out the light and wind we really have no excuse.

I couldn't agree more with the bit in bold.:top marks

Eyrie
19-09-2016, 11:35 AM

Every grass pitch plays differently, most pitches in Scotland look threadbare by the spring and the lush pitches down south are the result of expensive lighting rigs.

I'd be in favour of artificial pitches if the quality was consistent, but then that criticism can be levelled at grass pitches as well.

Lancs Harp
19-09-2016, 01:34 PM

Quite alot of pitches down south are "hybrid" pitches, using the Desso Hybrid pitches alone as an example (other brands are available! very bbc eh lol) you've got Liverpool,Man City, Burnley, Villa, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Swansea Spurs and Watford

HappyHanlon
19-09-2016, 03:04 PM
Got my ticket for the trip down to the No Voting doss hole that is Dumfries.

3pts is a must!

HH81
19-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Can you buy tickets on the day? Have done few times in the past.

Lancs Harp
19-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Looking forward to it. Mate lives in Dumfries so we'll be meeting up for a beer, a rare away game for me with home matches being like away games for me if you know what I mean. I dont get to many aways. £16 bargain return on the train too (booked ages ago), cant be bad.

Lets get those three points.

basehibby
19-09-2016, 05:04 PM

Bring it on.

"George Foulkes' Trousers" deary me that is the most nightmarish wet dream! Had me making a loud farting noise in trying not to LOL in the open office so cheers Bob :)

Anyway - this is without doubt our game of the season so far - yes the Europa was exciting but it was always about the league this year and QOS are up there on merit with Old Boy Dobbie adding extra spice as if it was needed. Time for our lads to show the sort of mettle that won us the cup! Or suffer the consequence of a **** load of extra pressure that we could all do without!

Jim44
19-09-2016, 05:15 PM
Just seen QOS playing Tuesday so that should help.

The frame of mind Sevco are in, it might be quite a physical game. I hope none of the QoS players pick up niggling injuries. :rolleyes:

emerald green
19-09-2016, 06:49 PM
QOS versus Hibernian head-to-head at QOS:

29 competitive matches in total:

QOS - 12wins
Hibs - 13 wins
Draws - 4
QOS goals - 39
Hibs goals - 54

Hibs head-to-head record versus QOS at ER is better than above.

PatHead
19-09-2016, 08:15 PM
The frame of mind Sevco are in, it might be quite a physical game. I hope none of the QoS players pick up niggling injuries. :rolleyes:

...............or straight reds

Waxy
19-09-2016, 08:35 PM
Can Dobbie last the season? Qos are in trouble once he goes missing.

emerald green
20-09-2016, 05:15 PM
Can Dobbie last the season? Qos are in trouble once he goes missing.

Can Jason Cummings last the season? Are Hibs in trouble if he goes missing?

It's time others in the squad stepped up, and started putting more of the chances created in the back of the net.

neil7908
20-09-2016, 09:51 PM
Got an absolute pasting 2nite by Scotland's favourite team. Not sure if that'll have much impact on the game but shows there's absolutely nothing for us to be worried about. They are a decent side but we'll win if we play to our potential and tuck away our chances

calumhibee1
20-09-2016, 10:04 PM
They're doing amazingly well so far, and next week will be a very difficult game - that said, I would be surprised if they had the strength in depth to hang on up there over the whole season (though after Falkirk's endeavours last season, I certainly won't rule that out).

Bizarre thing is that they were absolutely woeful against us at ER for the first hour or so until they equalised - I was really surprised at how poor they were. Hopefully we can stop their momentum at the weekend.

Yup they were murder that day until about an hour in. Hopefully Jamie Hammill starts. Even if we get beat he's worth the entrance money alone.

Ronniekirk
20-09-2016, 10:14 PM
Can Jason Cummings last the season? Are Hibs in trouble if he goes missing?

It's time others in the squad stepped up, and started putting more of the chances created in the back of the net.

Lennon flew Cummings out to Paris as he knew his worth to the club Short Term ( to guarantee at least 25 goals this season ) and long term as an assett for the club that could be sold on for a hansome profit ,hence four year deal
Yep he will have a blip or two when he wont score as all good strikers do , but at the weekend Lennon threw the challenge to the rest of the squad telling them they need to start helping out by scoring
Lennon identified this issue from last season so clearly the players he has brought in like shinnie and holt and Graham are expected to share the load but its midfield that has lost its top scorer ( henderson ) so Mcginn needs to be supported to step up and get on the score dheet more
Boyle and Keatings will chip in but they atent at present getting a run of games and that makes it harder to be consistent
Am not totally sure what Lennon is doing in Training to address this issue but have to assume he is trying to do something about it and with Queens playing tonight i would expect as to be going to thier ground looking for goals and a win
Having ground out a result at Dumbarton i expect Lennon to get the team up for this one and get back to winning ways

snooky
20-09-2016, 10:20 PM
Got an absolute pasting 2nite by Scotland's favourite team. Not sure if that'll have much impact on the game but shows there's absolutely nothing for us to be worried about. They are a decent side but we'll win if we play to our potential and tuck away our chances

That's the kind of results we should be securing in this league, but alas we're not ......................... yet.

Ronniekirk
20-09-2016, 10:29 PM
That's the kind of results we should be securing in this league, but alas we're not ......................... yet.

Which was one of the reasons the won the league last season and we didnt But still wouldnt change the way the season ended Our Destiny was the Scottish Cup and Henderson Deliveted and despite Saturdays defeat the feel good factor from that has gained momentum

Forza Fred
21-09-2016, 01:57 AM

I'm not so sure Queens will change their style against us just because they are playing at home.

It gave them a victory at ER, so why should they, and Hibs will need to take the game to them.

Agree totally that we need an improvement at both ends.....the outcome from a defeat is hard to countenance, and if that happens we will be playing 'catch up' early in the season.......a situation not many would have thought likely only a few weeks ago.

We need to get someone to take the ball PAST the defender on the 18 yard line...the pumping In of crosses from our full backs is pretty one dimensional and too easy to knock away.

Dashing Bob S
21-09-2016, 02:43 AM
I'm not so sure Queens will change their style against us just because they are playing at home.

It gave them a victory at ER, so why should they, and Hibs will need to take the game to them.

Agree totally that we need an improvement at both ends.....the outcome from a defeat is hard to countenance, and if that happens we will be playing 'catch up' early in the season.......a situation not many would have thought likely only a few weeks ago.

We need to get someone to take the ball PAST the defender on the 18 yard line...the pumping In of crosses from our full backs is pretty one dimensional and too easy to knock away.

A lot of problems stem from this. In the absence of a winger, we put far too much on the shoulders of Stevenson and Gray, who are expected to supply the wide ammunition AND defend. In the last couple of seasons I've seen the same thing happen countless times; 1. Gray and Stevenson go past a defender and get to the byline and whip in a cross...2. Then the 18 yard line 3. Then ping in long deep balls 4. Then get skinned, blowing out their *****, struggling to match the pace of an opposing winger in the second half. Both are getting to the stage in their career where a player loses pace.

Because they are whole-hearted popular players, they become beyond criticism. The fault isn't theirs, I just feel we now ask too much of them.

Forza Fred
21-09-2016, 03:17 AM
[/B]

A lot of problems stem from this. In the absence of a winger, we put far too much on the shoulders of Stevenson and Gray, who are expected to supply the wide ammunition AND defend. In the last couple of seasons I've seen the same thing happen countless times; 1. Gray and Stevenson go past a defender and get to the byline and whip in a cross...2. Then the 18 yard line 3. Then ping in long deep balls 4. Then get skinned, blowing out their *****, struggling to match the pace of an opposing winger in the second half. Both are getting to the stage in their career where a player loses pace.

Because they are whole-hearted popular players, they become beyond criticism. The fault isn't theirs, I just feel we now ask too much of them.

Agreed...So that leaves a couple of options.....alter our tactics or change the players.......Much as I am grateful to Messrs Stevenson and Gray for their service so far we need to, and I think we are, start considering the need to step up the 'succession planning' for them
I have been very impressed by Crane, and think that by season end he will be aregular first team player....right back isn't so clear cut.

I emphasise I'm not advocating mad immediate changes....but surely in the case of both players they have reached the Peak of their development, and the slow ride downhill will start soon.

Until we replace them, we need to change things up a wee bit in the way we attack. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

greenlex
21-09-2016, 04:40 AM
Agreed...So that leaves a couple of options.....alter our tactics or change the players.......Much as I am grateful to Messrs Stevenson and Gray for their service so far we need to, and I think we are, start considering the need to step up the 'succession planning' for them
I have been very impressed by Crane, and think that by season end he will be aregular first team player....right back isn't so clear cut.

I emphasise I'm not advocating mad immediate changes....but surely in the case of both players they have reached the Peak of their development, and the slow ride downhill will start soon.

Until we replace them, we need to change things up a wee bit in the way we attack. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
We could start in the Irn Bru cup. With McGinn away on international duty instead if postponing the match we should be pushing Stevenson into midfield and slotting Crane in there. Holt Keating's and Graham have the front covered. Laidlaw in the sticks and if we really need to stick the under 16 goalie on the bench.. I'm gonna be seriously cheesed off if we have to cram an rearranged game in midweek when there is no need.

KeithTheHibby
21-09-2016, 06:46 AM
Strangely enough we have won every away game we have played this season and have lost 3 at home. Complete opposite from last year.

O'Rourke3
21-09-2016, 07:24 AM
[/B]

In the last couple of seasons I've seen the same thing happen countless times; 1. Gray and Stevenson go past a defender and get to the byline and whip in a cross...2. Then the 18 yard line 3. Then ping in long deep balls 4. Then get skinned, blowing out their *****, struggling to match the pace of an opposing winger in the second half. Both are getting to the stage in their career where a player loses pace.

This. Morton last season where Duff Jimmy actually knew what he was doing and QOS this year where a combi of Hammill needing to be subbed and a knock bringing Dobbie on changed the game.

Sent via the bushes @ EM

makaveli1875
21-09-2016, 08:08 AM
we need to be giving queens a pumping and reclaiming top spot . think this will be a good game to start boyle and give graham a start instead of holt

CorrieHibs
21-09-2016, 09:48 AM
Got to start Boyle in my opinion. We need pace in that midfield. Hopefully McGeouch will be fit as well.

fishybeaver
21-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Got to start Boyle in my opinion. We need pace in that midfield. Hopefully McGeouch will be fit as well.

Boyle is the most off form player at ER currently, better plah Harris who played lots of football on that pitch last year.

CorrieHibs
21-09-2016, 10:43 AM
Boyle is the most off form player at ER currently, better plah Harris who played lots of football on that pitch last year.

Off form player? He scored two yesterday against Falkirk. Harris has been mince since 2013.

fishybeaver
21-09-2016, 11:01 AM
Off form player? He scored two yesterday against Falkirk. Harris has been mince since 2013.
In a bounce game,I scored six at 5's yesterday should I get a chance? didnt touch the ball against Ayr in 20mins, dont think hes a bad player by any mean but he off form big time at the moment. Ask the BBC camera man 30ft up in the air if he agrees with me about him being off form.

Albanian Hibs
21-09-2016, 11:18 AM
In a bounce game,I scored six at 5's yesterday should I get a chance? didnt touch the ball against Ayr in 20mins, dont think hes a bad player by any mean but he off form big time at the moment. Ask the BBC camera man 30ft up in the air if he agrees with me about him being off form.

Scored against Turriff too.

21-09-2016, 11:44 AM
This will be our toughest game so far IMO. Yes they got a bit of a battering from sevco the other night but they have been going well in the league.

We still have more than enough to beat them but it will be tough.

CorrieHibs
21-09-2016, 11:45 AM

Lol, were you playing pro's? Your argument is p**h.

He had one bad 20 mins, and you're saying he's the most off form player at Hibs lol.

Him and Dylan changed the game when they came on against Dunfermline. I never saw him against Dumbarton so can't comment.
He did well against turiff and got a goal.

Better than Harris in my opinion.

Smartie
21-09-2016, 11:54 AM
Playing both Harris and Boyle is a decent shout.

Pace and directness caused Queens problems, it can do again. Harris created a lot of goals for them on that pitch last year, he will be up for doing it again.

We can't moan about slow build-up play and poor deliveries and creativity from our full-backs then play exactly the same players in the same formation in the next game.

leithsansiro
21-09-2016, 11:56 AM
Quite alot of pitches down south are "hybrid" pitches, using the Desso Hybrid pitches alone as an example (other brands are available! very bbc eh lol) you've got Liverpool,Man City, Burnley, Villa, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Swansea Spurs and Watford

I've had the pleasure of playing on the pitch at Murrayfield, which uses a hybrid synthetic/grass approach, similar to that used by Arsenal etc. There's no way you'd mistake it for a "plastic" pitch and everything about it looks and feels natural, because it is. High standard synthetic pitched effectively only have the synthetic fibres below the grass level, where the roots bind to make the pitch harder wearing. The problem, however, is the cost of installing and maintaining is huge, and well out with the budget if Scottish teams

CorrieHibs
23-09-2016, 10:21 AM
Looking forward to tomorrow. Its my first visit to Dumfries. Does anyone know how many tickets we have sold?

Stevie Reid
23-09-2016, 11:43 AM
[/B]

I don't disagree with much of what you say here Bob, but I've honestly never seen Lewis done like he was for the second goal last week. I'm not saying it's never happened, though.

As an aside, Lewis does still get plenty of criticism on here - though many, myself included, always defend him. My group at the game all love him, but we all stated that he was poor last Saturday.