PDA

View Full Version : We Lost Because Of The Sending Off

Dashing Bob S
18-09-2016, 02:51 AM
We were poor today, but we would have won the game if Bartlett had stayed on the park. Let's not pretend otherwise.

cabbageandribs1875
18-09-2016, 03:00 AM
We were poor today, but we would have won the game if Bartlett had stayed on the park. Let's not pretend otherwise.

can't beat an Albert Bartlett potato, bob

Pete
18-09-2016, 03:23 AM

I think that those who pretend otherwise are maybe trying to give the impression that they have some superior knowledge of the game.

It's bloody obvious what happened and there's no need for any convoluted theories involving tactics, flawed mentalities or other such bollox.

Libby Hibby
18-09-2016, 03:36 AM
The sending off changed the game in Ayr's favour that there is no doubt but generally we were pedestrian and wasteful in front of goal prior to the red which is a concern. Too reliant on Cummings goals and others need to start pitching in with their share.

Jones28
18-09-2016, 03:46 AM
If we had taken our chances in front of goal we would have won the game. Some of our shooting today was awful and although his goal was a peach Cummings was amonf the guilty parties.

What I don't understand is that we want to play a more direct game and fling crosses in to the box but don't play with recognised wide men. Add to that James Keatings who's crosses are 9/10 fizzers with loads of pace on them is rarely starting a game - why? Play a front 3 of Keatings - Graham - Boyle and you've got pace, power, crossing ability and movement, 4 things we were severely lacking in yesterday.

MacGruber
18-09-2016, 06:36 AM

Moot point.
At home v Ayr the game should have been out of sight before that stage of 2nd half.
All this guff that people are using it as a line to pretend they know more about football! Sorry.. what!?
No one can say what might or might not have happened. We could have won comfortable with 11 men because it looked that way. We could have dominated to 91 mins at 1-0 got nervous and conceded by dropping deep. Would hardly have been a first.

Like many others I didn't like the team set up for a game v Ayr at Easter Road. 4 central midfielders. Sorry not for me. If that winds anyone up coming after the game result then that's also my thoughts for the remaining games at Easter Road v the poorer teams in the league.

I know your not supposed to go against a Dashing Bob post and i love the man but really hope Lennon changes tact.

The team yesterday was arguably our srongest 11 apart from Dylan for individual players but it can't possibly be our most effective with fck all width. If a team sets up to sit in v a team playing so narrow with crosses coming in from nearer the halfway line than the byline chances are the bombardment will be restricted to shots from distance. Takes more of those efforts to score and low and behold the high ratio of shots to goals.
Of course - we will win most games this way regardless because our 11 are far better than others. Just think we could do ourselves a favour by making it easier and playing a more effective shape for these games and being bolder with attack minded players. Bartley, Fyvie and McGinn is overkill for a home match v Ayr.

Boyle starts this match everyday for me
Personally would have had keatings on to.

Sorry to pretend I know something about football.

And rattling on

Just p!ssed off.

Still think we'll win the league.

Ozyhibby
18-09-2016, 06:38 AM
If we had taken our chances in front of goal we would have won the game. Some of our shooting today was awful and although his goal was a peach Cummings was amonf the guilty parties.

What I don't understand is that we want to play a more direct game and fling crosses in to the box but don't play with recognised wide men. Add to that James Keatings who's crosses are 9/10 fizzers with loads of pace on them is rarely starting a game - why? Play a front 3 of Keatings - Graham - Boyle and you've got pace, power, crossing ability and movement, 4 things we were severely lacking in yesterday.

Drop Cummings even though he has scored 8 goals in 6 games and is the only player scoring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highland_Hibee
18-09-2016, 07:08 AM
We've been playing better with Keatings in the team. It would appear right now he is the only player who can get the ball into the box.

neil7908
18-09-2016, 07:16 AM
I agree, I think with 11 men we would have gone on to win by 2 or 3 as we were really turning the screw.

However, we should have been able to see that game out given the opposition and the fact we were ahead with only a half hour or so to go.

We coped poorly once Bartley was gone and didn't seem to alter our shape at all. I thought taking Cummings off was a strange one as although he was poor, he's our only consistent goal scorer at the moment.

matty_f
18-09-2016, 07:31 AM
I agree, I think with 11 men we would have gone on to win by 2 or 3 as we were really turning the screw.

However, we should have been able to see that game out given the opposition and the fact we were ahead with only a half hour or so to go.

We coped poorly once Bartley was gone and didn't seem to alter our shape at all. I thought taking Cummings off was a strange one as although he was poor, he's our only consistent goal scorer at the moment.

Pretty much agree with this. For me, when we went down to ten men, Lennon should have protected the lead and closed up the midfield.

I was surprised that McGeoch didn't feature at that point, as that seemed the obvious change to make.

southsider
18-09-2016, 07:42 AM
Drop Cummings even though he has scored 8 goals in 6 games and is the only player scoring?

Aye, we have some fine midfield players but they don't score enough goals. Bring in Kris Commons at xmas.

superfurryhibby
18-09-2016, 07:48 AM
Pretty much agree with this. For me, when we went down to ten men, Lennon should have protected the lead and closed up the midfield.

I was surprised that McGeoch didn't feature at that point, as that seemed the obvious change to make.

Agrre with this. We should have had enough to se out the game, a change of tactics and personnel would have assisted.

The goals we lost were a reminder of some of our vulnerabilities. Pace out wide, getting behind our full back and indecision cost us. Queen of the South exposd this the last time we played them, have we learned anything since? Next week will tell us the answer.

Steve20
18-09-2016, 07:52 AM
We lost because of the sending off. I'd agree with that. But the worrying thing is our performance last week and our performance even with 11 men won't be enough to beat Queen of the South.

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-09-2016, 08:01 AM
No doubt that it changed the game but these things happen. But I am not sure that we showed any appropriate tactical shift to adapt to being a man down. It's fine for the fans to say that we should still go for the win.

Lancs Harp
18-09-2016, 08:11 AM
Apart from a great goal from JC the only positive I can take from yesterdays match is that it hopefully provide a kick up the back side and we can learn and move on.
I thought we were very poor yesterday. In two and a bit seasons of exile from the top flight Ayr were perhaps the poorest side I have seen at Easter Road in the second tier, we should have been able to beat them with 8 players let alone 10 I thought they were that bad, they couldnt have strung more than 3 passes together the whole game yet they beat us 2-1. Which is why for me yesterday was so disappointing. That added steel, mental drive, ability to change things during a match if plan A isnt working just wasnt there yesterday. It was a throw back to last season. Limited team arrives at Easter Road, parks the bus, Hibs no real answer.
If we play a big man up front then we need to feed him. We didnt. Thought Gray started welldown the right but the threat diminished as the game went on, Lewis had one of those games were he couldnt provide a decent cross to save his life (he also got shredded for their second goal) Wasnt Stevensons greatest game was it? No spark in midfield and a serious lack of pace, both physically and the speed in which we move the ball around. A team parks the bus you need to move the ball quickly to try and make openings we were far too pedestrian in possession. The only creative flair came from Super John but it wasnt McGinns greatest game either, in some ways he almost tried too hard, too many attempts at the Hollywood pass which found its way to a red shirt more often than a red shirt, very frustrating.
Personally I wouldnt have started Marv and Fyvie together in midfield. With the greatest of respect to Ayr against a team like that more creativity is required. Great goal from JC but to be honest was fairly invisible apartfrom the goal, was a great goal though. As for Ayrs goals well I cant see Lennon being parrticularly pleased at the manner of the first goal. Again against limited opposition their greatest opportunity is going to come from set pieces, they knew that, we knew that, so we concede from a corner.
The bar has been raised and with it expectation, I dont see anything wrong with that, I want my team to prosper and move forward. Dont settle for second best as I think we have done at Hibs for too long in the past. Yesterday just wasnt good enough, as simple as, but Im sure Lennon had the cups and saucers flying round the dressing room last night, the guy is a winner IMO and Im sure wont be accepting yesterdays performance or looking for excuses.
Big game next week. QoS flying high and by all reports playing well, we're coming off a major hiccup yesterday and a not so great performance at Dumbarton. Time to get back on track. We are a good side and I still have 100% belief we'll win this league and by some distance, a poor performance doesnt change that, but we must learn from this and use it to our advantage, we'll face similar to Ayr many times before this season has finished and we need to find the answers, yesterday we didnt, we failed.

Lancs Harp
18-09-2016, 08:14 AM
Above post should have said (ref McGinn) passed more often to red shirt than a green shirt but it wouldnt let me edit it to correct it for some reason.

Greenworld
18-09-2016, 08:22 AM
A gutless half hearted performance that we saw in spells last season.
To loose at home against that dross is ridiculous.
Cummings looks slow and almost uninterested.
Should have made changes at half time. At least we can make up for it next week in a must win match

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
18-09-2016, 08:23 AM

Yeah lets do that. Cummings on the bench. 8 goals in 6 games, he's not doing enough.

wookie70
18-09-2016, 08:38 AM
Bartley cost us the game with a stupid tackle. Middle of the park with no danger and he loses his composure and us 3 points. No problem up until that point. Lennon never helped as I thought his subs made us worse on each occasion. I have no problem winning ugly and when Marv was carded we should have went 1 up top and brought on Dylan or even Foster and pushed Hanlon into midfield. Anyone suggesting Cummings shouldn't start must be off their head. He is our goals. He got pretty much zero service yesterday and still managed to get a goal. Holt an experience striker had a golden opportunity and contrived to miss.

Very poor performance which would still have resulted in full points barring some madness from Marv. Lennon's comments after the game blaming the ref were poor and hopefully he was playing the game because in no way was that a decent performance.

Sammy7nil
18-09-2016, 08:44 AM

We lost because they scored two and we scored one. We had well over an hour to kill off a very average some would say poor team we failed. Simply not good enough to pretend otherwise is just silly and behaving like a :ostrich::ostrich::ostrich:

LaMotta
18-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Bartley cost us the game with a stupid tackle. Middle of the park with no danger and he loses his composure and us 3 points. No problem up until that point. Lennon never helped as I thought his subs made us worse on each occasion. I have no problem winning ugly and when Marv was carded we should have went 1 up top and brought on Dylan or even Foster and pushed Hanlon into midfield. Anyone suggesting Cummings shouldn't start must be off their head. He is our goals. He got pretty much zero service yesterday and still managed to get a goal. Holt an experience striker had a golden opportunity and contrived to miss.

Very poor performance which would still have resulted in full points barring some madness from Marv. Lennon's comments after the game blaming the ref were poor and hopefully he was playing the game because in no way was that a decent performance.

Very harsh red card. There was a worse challenge on Bartley himself minutes before.

HFC 0-7
18-09-2016, 08:52 AM
Losing because of a sending off doesn't make it ok. We should have had the game wrapped up in the first half, too many teams come to Easter road and get goals from 2 or 3 chances whereas we require many more chances to get the goals. It's something that has been an issue for a while and hasn't been properly addressed.

Even after the the sending off we should have had enough to see that game out or even add to the scoreline. The shape was lost a bit after the sending off and I am surprised Dylan wasn't brought on straight away. Things like this happen during games where we are forced to change the shape or tactics, it's all about reacting to it. I don't think Lennon will allow the shape to be lost like that again.

cloudy
18-09-2016, 08:53 AM
Sending off didn't change the game. We lost because Holt stopped running after 15 mins and we have no width, when playing teams that park the bus we need to have wide options. Gray was creating chances but stevenson yet again got into good areas but failed to deliver one good cross. Playing this current formation makes the middle of the pitch overcrowded. Play 4 3 3 and start attacking teams.

HFC 0-7
18-09-2016, 08:56 AM
Yeah lets do that. Cummings on the bench. 8 goals in 6 games, he's not doing enough.

He has scored a lot but he has missed even more, the amount of chances hibs require to convert to a goal is crazy. Ayr got about 3 and scored 2. Cummings needs to do more for the team IMO. Apart from the goal yesterday he done nothing. He also needs to stop moaning when the ball gets taken off him or it doesn't work out. Hibs need to be clinical and converting more of these chances if we are to get out this league easily.

Danderhall Hibs
18-09-2016, 09:01 AM
I agree Bob. Lost all shape when he got himself sent off. Despite a few folk saying they don't understand why we need him in a home match v Ayr I think it was shown why we do.

With the full backs bombing on he's our 3rd defender and without him the other 2 struggle.

gaz1875
18-09-2016, 09:31 AM
I agree Bob. Lost all shape when he got himself sent off. Despite a few folk saying they don't understand why we need him in a home match v Ayr I think it was shown why we do.

With the full backs bombing on he's our 3rd defender and without him the other 2 struggle.

Until his sending off, Bartley would probably have been MOM, he was winning everything in midfield and letting the ball players try and breakdown the Ayr defence. it was an unfortunate tackle a little like JMc against Falkirk last season that was rescinded on appeal. Once he was off we lost the midfield, brought on 3 attacking players instead of another midfielder and keep maintaining the hold on midfield. Easy to criticize once the horse has bolted but the final ball was throughout the game was abysmal, and Stevenson continually frustrates by cutting back instead of getting a cross into the danger area. I often think we should be playing someone like Boyle at left back against certain teams and utilise his pace.

green day
18-09-2016, 09:34 AM
Until his sending off, Bartley would probably have been MOM, he was winning everything in midfield and letting the ball players try and breakdown the Ayr defence. it was an unfortunate tackle a little like JMc against Falkirk last season that was rescinded on appeal. Once he was off we lost the midfield, brought on 3 attacking players instead of another midfielder and keep maintaining the hold on midfield. Easy to criticize once the horse has bolted but the final ball was throughout the game was abysmal, and Stevenson continually frustrates by cutting back instead of getting a cross into the danger area. I often think we should be playing someone like Boyle at left back against certain teams and utilise his pace.

Bartley MOM?

It was Fyvie all the way.

As for Stevenson, worst game for a long long time.

gaz1875
18-09-2016, 09:36 AM
Bartley MOM?

It was Fyvie all the way.

As for Stevenson, worst game for a long long time.

Where did I say Bartley was MOM?

green day
18-09-2016, 09:55 AM
Where did I say Bartley was MOM?

Where you said "Until his sending off, Bartley would probably have been MOM".

gaz1875
18-09-2016, 10:03 AM
Where you said "Until his sending off, Bartley would probably have been MOM".

Yep "Probably" if you look at the player marks on the other thread a few people are also saying that. I thought FF was MOM and deserved at the end of the game, he played well for the full 90 minutes, I just wish he would drive forward more at times, but I could label that at the other 9 outfield players.

h185forever
18-09-2016, 10:26 AM
The sending off didn't help that's for sure, however like a few others I think the game should've been out of sight by then.

The biggest failing in my opinion and it's been there certainly for the last four years ...probably longer is that although we create a lot of chances ....we just don't score enough goals. If we did the defensive frailties which still exist, although not as bad as the previous 3-6 years, wouldn't matter quite as much.

I know all the posts deemed as negative get seen as bed wetters etc but pretending all is well isnt right either.

The truth as always lies somewhere in the middle and for me ...we still have a way to go yet.

but we are on the right track.

GGTTH

Real Emerald
18-09-2016, 11:05 AM

Pretend all you want but we lost because of poor finishing, terrible defending, pish goalkeeping, bad team selection, poor tacticts and the sending off didn't help. Hibs were terrible yesterday and will not win this league if this continues. Don't blame the sending off for the failures of the last two years. We have to win next week or it's grounhog day again. :grr:

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
18-09-2016, 11:20 AM
Pretend all you want but we lost because of poor finishing, terrible defending, pish goalkeeping, bad team selection, poor tacticts and the sending off didn't help. Hibs were terrible yesterday and will not win this league if this continues. Don't blame the sending off for the failures of the last two years. We have to win next week or it's grounhog day again. :grr:

Now THAT is a bedwetting post if ever ive seen one.

Real Emerald
18-09-2016, 11:21 AM
Now THAT is a bedwetting post if ever ive seen one.

My bed is soaking this morning, I'm really angry about it, if you haven't noticed. :greengrin