PDA

View Full Version : When will we sign a decent keeper!!!

thebausburst
17-09-2016, 06:03 PM
Ok so from memory the last time we had a decent keeper was Daniel Anderson who we let slip through our fingers cause of a change of manager and taking too long over offering him a new deal. Since then it's been one poor/average signing after another. I don't expect a world beater just someone dependable. Why do we keep going for foreigners as well, I think the majority of fans would have been happy with someone like Cammy Bell, knows the league won't need 'time to settle in' and all this stuff with visas etc.

Waxy
17-09-2016, 06:07 PM
Its our first league defeat as Scottish cup holders. Its all strange.

cleanyman
17-09-2016, 06:10 PM
Its our first league defeat as Scottish cup holders. Its all strange.

Our third home defeat this season

Its no great

Scorrie
17-09-2016, 06:10 PM
Too be honest I didn't think Ross Laidlaw had done much wrong

erin go bragh
17-09-2016, 06:12 PM
Shambolic defending . Keeper did what wrong ?

HibsNutter
17-09-2016, 06:14 PM
Ok so from memory the last time we had a decent keeper was Daniel Anderson who we let slip through our fingers cause of a change of manager and taking too long over offering him a new deal. Since then it's been one poor/average signing after another. I don't expect a world beater just someone dependable. Why do we keep going for foreigners as well, I think the majority of fans would have been happy with someone like Cammy Bell, knows the league won't need 'time to settle in' and all this stuff with visas etc.

We have an international keeper who has made one mistake. Our last number one goalkeeper is a Hibs legend. Ben Williams was good for us. Get a grip.

Dashing Bob S
17-09-2016, 06:14 PM

I agree with this. I love Hanlon, McGregor and Stevenson, but all were poor today and shouldn't be above criticism. The defending at the first goal was a joke.

MWHIBBIES
17-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Oxley was decent. So was Williams.

How can you say Daniel Anderson was the last decent keeper we had then ask why we keep going for foreigners?

Bothar Casca
17-09-2016, 06:16 PM
Could he have gotten to the ball that went out for the corner they scored their equaliser from? Looked like it from where I was. He seemed to run, stop and then run again.

Libby Hibby
17-09-2016, 06:17 PM
Was today not the 1st goals conceded in 5 games or so? I don't think he did too much wrong today, just strange why he didn't stop the corner that led to the goal but once the corner was given, we should've defended it properly.

Let's move on to the big game next week.

GGTTH

tamig
17-09-2016, 06:24 PM
Was today not the 1st goals conceded in 5 games or so? I don't think he did too much wrong today, just strange why he didn't stop the corner that led to the goal but once the corner was given, we should've defended it properly.

Let's move on to the big game next week.

GGTTH
We were poor defending corners today and got away with one earlier that Fyvie cleared off the line. In the second half Ayr seemed to always have two guys free at the back post. It was sloppy stuff. And Marciano should have booted the ball out for a throw. No question. He gave it up.

Itsnoteasy
17-09-2016, 06:43 PM

Bell chosee Utd over us

thebausburst
18-09-2016, 07:38 AM

How can you say Daniel Anderson was the last decent keeper we had then ask why we keep going for foreigners?

Because the ratio of how many signed vs how many that turned out to actually be any good is so poor, doh!

thebausburst
18-09-2016, 07:40 AM
Bell chosee Utd over us

Was just an example not to be taken too literally.

thebausburst
18-09-2016, 07:44 AM

Is that our standards now 'he was decent', we used to have Scotland's no1 on several occasions I.e. Rough, Goram, Leighton, worth X amounts of points a season. I'm making a genuine point that for such a key position our recruitment generally appears ver ad hoc and untargetted surely that cannot be A -good or B - argued

J-C
18-09-2016, 07:47 AM
He should've kept the ball in, I watched the replay and it looks like he couldn't be arsed.

McGregor at fault for the 1st, the ball comes into his zone and he mistimes the jump and the ball goes over his head.

Stevenson got beat for pace but he first of all made a forward motion to close him down, then had to turn and chase the guy but by that time he was past him. Also because we were chasing the win we got caught for bodies back defending, when the ball comes into the box no one there to cover, only Fyvie arriving late.

Pretty Boy
18-09-2016, 07:52 AM
I've seen Marciano 3 times now (I think he's only played in 4 games) and whilst he's yet to be overworked I'm unconvinced thus far. He looks very nervy to me and I believe he had a bit of a tough time at his last club so maybe confidence is an issue?

I'm not really sure why a goalkeeper who was generally playing well, having been thrown into a high pressure situation, was dropped for him tbh.

Chances are we are going to be under a bit more pressure defensively next week and the goalkeeper worries me, I'm a big fan of Laidlaw and would be happy to see him back in.

Greenworld
18-09-2016, 08:39 AM
Could he have gotten to the ball that went out for the corner they scored their equaliser from? Looked like it from where I was. He seemed to run, stop and then run again.
Yes I was right behind him and couldn't believe he didn't even attempt to.
Hanlon looked at him in disbelief but Paul needs to open his mouth and let the keeper know that he wants him to get it.
A schoolboy error.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hibby Bairn
18-09-2016, 08:43 AM
Bizarre that he didn't go for the ball that led to the corner that led to the goal. Was right behind it in FF. Really strange and Hanlon was rightly pssed off.

Laidlaw was/is fine.

cloudy
18-09-2016, 08:47 AM
The keeper was injured couldn't run or kick the ball, goal kicks were getting chipped to the halfway line. More noticeable in stoppage time when he gave the ball to hanlon to send it long. He was constantly rubbing his hip and looking at the bench.

Hibernia&Alba
18-09-2016, 08:48 AM
It's a shame we were unable to keep hold of Ben Williams at the time. He could have been in the team for years.

Tyler Durden
18-09-2016, 08:54 AM
He should've kept the ball in, I watched the replay and it looks like he couldn't be arsed.

McGregor at fault for the 1st, the ball comes into his zone and he mistimes the jump and the ball goes over his head.

Stevenson got beat for pace but he first of all made a forward motion to close him down, then had to turn and chase the guy but by that time he was past him. Also because we were chasing the win we got caught for bodies back defending, when the ball comes into the box no one there to cover, only Fyvie arriving late.

It was criminal stuff from Stevenson. The same guy beat him for pace in the first half so it shouldn't have come as a shock to him.

He had to foul the guy and take a yellow, you can't be beaten so easily in that area.

Probably a bit harsh but I thought the keeper could have saved the second - the shot wasn't exactly hit with any real venom

FitbaFolkKen
18-09-2016, 09:27 AM

I think it's Graham not Mcgregor that almost looks like he ducks out of the header.

lyonhibs
18-09-2016, 09:40 AM

Load of pish. What are you havering about "always choosing foreigners"??

Mark Brown was a guid Scottish lad and he rarely hit the heights of mediocre for us.

Speedy
18-09-2016, 09:41 AM

I think our keepers have been pretty good recently.

Oxley, Williams, Stack were fine.

Highland_Hibee
18-09-2016, 10:05 AM
Looks more and more likely Marciano was carrying a knock. I don't think he can be thought of as another Zibi or Makalamity just yet. I'm still of the opinion he will keep us in many games to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thebausburst
18-09-2016, 10:27 AM
Load of pish. What are you havering about "always choosing foreigners"??

Mark Brown was a guid Scottish lad and he rarely hit the heights of mediocre for us.

Thank's for that insightful response, the whole point is that frequently over recent seasons the keeper position has been a concer/priority yet has never really been addressed with any reliable quality signing. During this period there have been home based keepers (realistic targets) who we've either not targeted or for whatever reason (like Bell) have chosen not to come. Can you really argue that the keep position has not been a problem for a number of years, really?? Yes, the latest incumbent deserves a chance to prove his worth, but were you at the game yesterday? Looked like he was very nervous and not confident, hardly fills you with confidence given we were only playing Ayr Untd!

thebausburst
18-09-2016, 10:29 AM
I think our keepers have been pretty good recently.

Oxley, Williams, Stack were fine.

Really?? Just shows how low our expectations now are.

Speedy
18-09-2016, 10:36 AM
Really?? Just shows how low our expectations now are.

Williams in particular was good. The other 2 were alright for our level.

Certainty an improvement on Maka/Smith etc.

G B Young
18-09-2016, 11:05 AM
The new guy did himself no favours in the way the corner was conceded nor when the corner came over. Could be a lack of understanding with his defence but it's the first time I've seen him tested and he didn't impress.

Conrad Logan was unlucky not to earn an extended deal in my view. His character and presence alone brought something to the side which had been lacking.

Borderhibbie76
18-09-2016, 11:12 AM
1 defeat and here comes the blame game...rocky didn't cover himself in glory yesterday but neither did any of the team tbh from where I was sat. The defence as a unit were awful midfield slow and ponderous and the strikers barely in the match. We lose as a team guys stop singling out individuals/scapegoats

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Marco G
18-09-2016, 11:17 AM
The new guy did himself no favours in the way the corner was conceded nor when the corner came over. Could be a lack of understanding with his defence but it's the first time I've seen him tested and he didn't impress.

Conrad Logan was unlucky not to earn an extended deal in my view. His character and presence alone brought something to the side which had been lacking.
Not watched it again, but from FF it looked like Marciano thought Hanlon would get back to retrieve it and by the time he realised he would not it was too late to get to it. More of a misunderstanding between players who have not played many games together than a howler by the keeper imo. Also I saw no evidence of the keeper looking nervous at all and thought he had no chance with the goals which were both down to poor marking by our defenders.

thebausburst
18-09-2016, 12:05 PM
1 defeat and here comes the blame game...rocky didn't cover himself in glory yesterday but neither did any of the team tbh from where I was sat. The defence as a unit were awful midfield slow and ponderous and the strikers barely in the match. We lose as a team guys stop singling out individuals/scapegoats

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Not blaming him for the defeat, just making the point he didn't look great, may hopefully end up proved wrong, but again point was when will we sign a proven keeper who we know is good at the time of signing rather than another, well he's been recommended by so and so, so here's hoping.

green.oracle
18-09-2016, 12:56 PM

Could and should have prevented the corner in the first place. Then ayr score from a header from inside 6 yard box. Keepers ball all the way. 2 errors.

I agree with opening post. And as for comments on ben williams. People have short memories. One of the many reasons we were relegated in thdgd first place. He was below average at best.

J-C
18-09-2016, 01:40 PM
I think it's Graham not Mcgregor that almost looks like he ducks out of the header.

Maybe, I thought it was McGregor, even so should've got to the ball 1st.

HappyHanlon
18-09-2016, 10:18 PM

"Keep going for foreigners"

Are you counting Oxley, Williams, Murdoch as in that category?

1 defeat in 6 league matches and this pish appears. Deary f***in me.

GreenArmyyy!
18-09-2016, 10:20 PM

Stack was decent, Williams was better, Logan was decent and Marciano will come good. First time he's conceded in a Hibs top was yesterday....