PDA

View Full Version : Even with 11 on the pitch we were little better than average

G B Young
17-09-2016, 04:55 PM
I've only managed to get to two games this season, a rather fortunate huff and puff win over Dunfermline and today's painful defeat. We rarely looked anything but pedestrian in either game. The lack of pace, bar a couple of bursts from McGinn, is alarming and there are too many long balls played to Cummings who is never going to get anywhere near them. It's not pleasant viewing.

If this sort of lumpen, stodgy football was going to be the best way to win the league then OK, I guess we'd accept the lack of entertainment on show, but personally I think we're miles away from the level we need to be at to win the title. Yes, had that header gone in right at the start we might have seen a different game, and had we kept 11 on the pitch we might have seen things out for the three points, but the bottom line is we just don't look like we really want it enough. I thought Lennon was all about instilling a steely mental core whereby sloppy performances were unacceptable. As far as I can see we're actually every bit as poor as we were on an off day for Stubbs' team and I'd argue that based on the games I've seen under Lennon we're a poorer side than in the previous two seasons.

Happy to be corrected by those who've seen more games than I have but on today's evidence we'll quickly see crowds fall away again.

Sammy7nil
17-09-2016, 06:11 PM
It was a poor pedestrian performance neved got out first gear it was all too easy for Hibs like a training game. Ayr came for a nil nil and Hibs were complacent all thtoughout the game despite all the talk Lennon would not allow that.

northstandhibby
17-09-2016, 06:24 PM
I've only managed to get to two games this season, a rather fortunate huff and puff win over Dunfermline and today's painful defeat. We rarely looked anything but pedestrian in either game. The lack of pace, bar a couple of bursts from McGinn, is alarming and there are too many long balls played to Cummings who is never going to get anywhere near them. It's not pleasant viewing.

If this sort of lumpen, stodgy football was going to be the best way to win the league then OK, I guess we'd accept the lack of entertainment on show, but personally I think we're miles away from the level we need to be at to win the title. Yes, had that header gone in right at the start we might have seen a different game, and had we kept 11 on the pitch we might have seen things out for the three points, but the bottom line is we just don't look like we really want it enough. I thought Lennon was all about instilling a steely mental core whereby sloppy performances were unacceptable. As far as I can see we're actually every bit as poor as we were on an off day for Stubbs' team and I'd argue that based on the games I've seen under Lennon we're a poorer side than in the previous two seasons.

Happy to be corrected by those who've seen more games than I have but on today's evidence we'll quickly see crowds fall away again.

There's no doubt in my mind if Bartley hadn't been sent off hibs would have seen out the game quite comfortably. Should have scored more in the first half though which might have won us the points even with the needless Bartley sending off.

Very disappointed but hey ho lets hope this is just a one off blip in an otherwise excellent start to the season.

GGTTH

eastcoasthibby
17-09-2016, 06:25 PM
A couple of players that have been playing regularly recently take any pace out of the game and they don't have capacity to play any differently ...Bartley being the main one , with check back or a lob a cross Lewis another, Holt the other ! Graham needs to start next week and fortunately Bartley is suspended ...while Bartley does ok in a certain type of game he was the position ing with a winger that I wanted to be filled for the season ! He can't jump and head the ball, his touch and passing are woeful ..but that's what we have got til Xmas ..but he should only be used as cover ! Imho