PDA

View Full Version : Diamond formation

Diclonius
17-09-2016, 04:20 PM
McCall did his homework, correctly predicted we would use the diamond and packed the middle of the park. We got frustrated and in combination with a bit of bad luck got beat.

I'd like to see us use width and pace next week. Boyle and Shinnie out wide, McGinn and Fyvie/McGeouch in the middle. We aren't creating enough chances.

The Captain....
17-09-2016, 04:29 PM
Was a very one paced performance today...the standard of balls into the box was absolutely attrocious as well. God knows where we'd be without Jason's goals.

We should still have had enough to win, even after what looked (from admittedly a good distance away) a harsh red for Marvin...didn't think the ref gave himself much thinking time and had the red out of his pocket in a flash.

Need to dust ourselves down, not hitting the panic button but I think we could improve considerably in the last third of the pitch..the ball isnt moved around with any pace and is pretty easy to defend against.

Highland_Hibee
17-09-2016, 04:31 PM
Before everyone tears into Bartley he was having a good game until that bizarre sending off. Didn't look a straight red from where I was sat. Popular opinion seems to be that it was though. We've just gone from being feared by everyone to everyone now fancying their chances. If we lost at home to Dundee Utd or maybe Falkirk I would forgive. Ayr is simply not good enough. 11/1 for them today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brightside
17-09-2016, 04:43 PM
McCall did his homework, correctly predicted we would use the diamond and packed the middle of the park. We got frustrated and in combination with a bit of bad luck got beat.

I'd like to see us use width and pace next week. Boyle and Shinnie out wide, McGinn and Fyvie/McGeouch in the middle. We aren't creating enough chances.

Shinnie has no pace. Bottom line today wasn't formation it was lack of urgency in midfield.

J-C
17-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Before everyone tears into Bartley he was having a good game until that bizarre sending off. Didn't look a straight red from where I was sat. Popular opinion seems to be that it was though. We've just gone from being feared by everyone to everyone now fancying their chances. If we lost at home to Dundee Utd or maybe Falkirk I would forgive. Ayr is simply not good enough. 11/1 for them today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a perfect view of it and it was a red card. He broke a few tackles and the ball went too far in front of him, he lunged in with studs showing and was a wee bit off the ground, shin height. It was more of a clumsy challenge rather than a nasty one, just a rush of blood to the head.

J-C
17-09-2016, 04:47 PM
We do not need a DM against teams like Ayr, I would rather have another proper midfielder in there instead, tempo is the problem, we played today at a snails pace.

Gmack7
17-09-2016, 05:01 PM
We do not need a DM against teams like Ayr, I would rather have another proper midfielder in there instead, tempo is the problem, we played today at a snails pace.
Agreed, the tempo just wasn't there and there's also a real lack of pace, I still feel we'll win the league with a bit to spare but today was a bit of a throw back to last seasons mediocrity

cabbageandribs1875
17-09-2016, 05:20 PM
marvin was my Mom before that needless lunge

Eyrie
17-09-2016, 06:27 PM

I think we do, since Bartley provides the extra defender when our full backs go forward which they do frequently because that is the only width we have.

Jones28
17-09-2016, 06:35 PM
Shinnie has no pace. Bottom line today wasn't formation it was lack of urgency in midfield.

It's difficult to be urgent when there's 9 men behind the ball and one chasing everything infront of it.

If we had played a straight 4-4-2 with pace on the flanks we would have won that today. There was so much space on both flanks yet all we had to occupy it was grey and Stevenson

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-09-2016, 06:42 PM
I don't see why we need Bartley and Fyvie when we are at home to teams like Ayr. Is McGeough injured again? Why did he play against Turriff Utd ffs?! Our best player sitting on the bench for 90 mins isn't much use.