PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy O'Rourke 7-0 birthday.

brog
17-09-2016, 09:58 AM
The great man is 70 tomorrow. 325 games & 122 goals for Hibs. Made his debut, in Europe at age of 16 years & 85 days & scored his 1st goal 3 days later. Apart from his exploits on 1/1/73 & in the LC final 3 weeks earlier, Jimmy also scored 2 goals at PBS on his 19th birthday in a 4-0 win with all the goals coming in the 1st 10 minutes. Jimmy was also the 1st British player to score back to back hat tricks in Europe. I hope you'll join me in wishing Jim all the best for tomorrow, hopefully we can get 70 messages!! :thumbsup:

pundy man
17-09-2016, 10:01 AM
My fav Hjbs player ever. E for B and Jim O'Rourke .

oneone73
17-09-2016, 10:04 AM
My favourite Tornado. All the best and thanks for the memories

PatHead
17-09-2016, 10:05 AM
Happy birthday Jimmy.

A real hero of mine when I was a youngster and barman at my local for a few years. Meant I got to know him well.

Good guy.

Argylehibby
17-09-2016, 10:15 AM
Happy birthday Jimmy, my all time favourite Hibs player and the guy who explained the offside rule to me many decades ago.

snooky
17-09-2016, 10:21 AM
Jimmy is my fav. Hibs player.

Happy birthday, Zorro :wink:

Forza Fred
17-09-2016, 10:27 AM
Was honoured to have Jimmy in my house in Sydney a few years ago when he and wife Ann visited Downunder.

My all time favourite Hibs player, and an all round great bloke.

Saw him make his debut and his last first team game for Hibs too

A Hibee, through and through...many happy returns Jimmy.

DaveF
17-09-2016, 10:33 AM
Before my time but clearly a Hibernian hero to many.

Happy Birthday!

sarfoftheborder
17-09-2016, 10:40 AM
Happy Birthday Jimmy!

Ronniekirk
17-09-2016, 10:43 AM
Have many happy memories of watching jimmy play and saw him often at away matches when he followed the team supporting them
Happy Birthday Jimmy

xyz23jc
17-09-2016, 10:56 AM
100%:flag::agree: Jimmy, Jimmy O'Rourke, everyone knows his name. Jimmy, Jimmy O'Rourke.....

Earlydelivery
17-09-2016, 11:03 AM
100%:flag::agree: Jimmy, Jimmy O'Rourke, everyone knows his name. Jimmy, Jimmy O'Rourke.....
Ha ha beat me to it :not worth

emerald green
17-09-2016, 11:32 AM
I was just a lad standing on the terracing behind the goals at Tynecastle as Jimmy scored two goals, as did Eric Stevenson, all in the first ten minutes of that game. Simply blew Hearts away.

One of the worst ever decisions taken by management at ER was allowing Jimmy to leave Hibs to go to St Johnstone.

Happy 70th Jimmy.

PeeJay
17-09-2016, 11:37 AM
You sure he's turning 70 - it wasn't that long ago surely? Great player, great times at the club - only too glad to join in and wish Jimmy O'Rourke all the best .... stay healthy!

hibeerealist
17-09-2016, 11:42 AM
Legend!

Happy Birthday Jimmy!!

Still laughing to this day when you, me, Keith and our sons were singing Hibs songs in the taxi en route to Wembley for the CL final - lovely evening windows in the cab all down and the looks on the faces WTF are they singing about???? A few beers and the odd wine before the game.

Have a good one Jimmy they don't make them like you any more, sadly!!!

The great man is 70 tomorrow. 325 games & 122 goals for Hibs. Made his debut, in Europe at age of 16 years & 85 days & scored his 1st goal 3 days later. Apart from his exploits on 1/1/73 & in the LC final 3 weeks earlier, Jimmy also scored 2 goals at PBS on his 19th birthday in a 4-0 win with all the goals coming in the 1st 10 minutes. Jimmy was also the 1st British player to score back to back hat tricks in Europe. I hope you'll join me in wishing Jim all the best for tomorrow, hopefully we can get 70 messages!! :thumbsup:

hibeerealist
17-09-2016, 11:44 AM
My first Hibs game and they were majestic first 20 ins or so.

I was just a lad standing on the terracing behind the goals at Tynecastle as Jimmy scored two goals, as did Eric Stevenson, all in the first ten minutes of that game. Simply blew Hearts away.

One of the worst ever decisions taken by management at ER was allowing Jimmy to leave Hibs to go to St Johnstone.

Happy 70th Jimmy.

emerald green
17-09-2016, 12:03 PM
My first Hibs game and they were majestic first 20 ins or so.

Hibs took the foot off the gas unfortunately.

CentreLine
17-09-2016, 12:08 PM
Without doubt my favourite tornado. he never got the recognition he should have at international level and allowed to leave far too soon. Had something of an ER boycott when he left but went to see him play at St J

HibbyDave
17-09-2016, 12:11 PM
Happy birthday Jimmy. A stalwart in the tornados.

Edson Arantes
17-09-2016, 12:16 PM
A proper Hibby who I think was nicknamed Zorro?

Happy birthday legend.

Halmyre Hibee
17-09-2016, 12:21 PM
Happy Birthday Jimmy. Jimmy O'Rourke and Pat Stanton my favourite Hibs players followed closely by Alex Cropley, Alex Edwards & Alan Gordon..... in fact just chuck in all of Turnbulls Tornadoes. What a team and a privilege to be a teenager following this great team. Astounded we only won one major trophy.

AltheHibby
17-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Happy birthday to a Hibs legend who was always a delight to watch. (even the one time I saw Jimmy play against us)

brog
17-09-2016, 12:45 PM

Happy 70th Jimmy.

Ironically Jimmy was a late substitute for Neil Martin who failed a fitness test. Jimmy scored 2 rockets, both from about 20 yards out, one left footed, one right! We should also remember this was the Yam team that only 4 months earlier had lost the league on goal average by the smallest ever margin! :greengrin

stoneyburn hibs
17-09-2016, 12:48 PM
Happy Birthday Jimmy, wish I'd seen you play.

snooky
17-09-2016, 01:33 PM
A proper Hibby who I think was nicknamed Zorro?

Happy birthday legend.
I think his nickname was Rocky, not Zorro. I called him Zorro on hibsnet a couple of times. It's a reference to when the film Zorro was on telly before the 0-7 game and Jimmy said 'premonitionly' that the Zed the sword made looked like a 7.

snooky
17-09-2016, 01:34 PM
Without doubt my favourite tornado. he never got the recognition he should have at international level and allowed to leave far too soon. Had something of an ER boycott when he left but went to see him play at St J
Me 2.

O'Rourke3
17-09-2016, 01:44 PM
Couldn't stand the man......

Happy birthday Jimmy. Up till this year nearly all my best Hibs memories had you at their centre

Sent via the bushes @ EM

IWasThere2016
17-09-2016, 01:46 PM
Happy 7-0 Jimmy :thumbsup:

Lago
17-09-2016, 01:55 PM

Happy 70th Jimmy.
What a sad day it was when he left for St Johnstone, I nearly cried when I heard the news.

Edson Arantes
17-09-2016, 02:02 PM
I think his nickname was Rocky, not Zorro. I called him Zorro on hibsnet a couple of times. It's a reference to when the film Zorro was on telly before the 0-7 game and Jimmy said 'premonitionly' that the Zed the sword made looked like a 7.

:thumbsup:Didn't know that.

Anyway, Happy birthday Rocky!

Biggie
17-09-2016, 03:24 PM
What a goal scorer....him and Alan Gordon were amazing up front.
Met him later on when he had the corrie Inn.....top bloke

The Harp
17-09-2016, 05:48 PM
Happy 70th Jimmy.
Surely one of the most dedicated Hibees of all time.
Hope life's treating you well

cabbageandribs1875
17-09-2016, 05:50 PM
jimmy, jimmy o'rourke...everyone knows his name :) happy 7-0th :flag:

Deansy
17-09-2016, 05:59 PM
Happy Birthday Jimmy - thank-you for all the lovely memories you gave me when you wore the jersey !!

emerald green
17-09-2016, 06:01 PM
Ironically Jimmy was a late substitute for Neil Martin who failed a fitness test. Jimmy scored 2 rockets, both from about 20 yards out, one left footed, one right! We should also remember this was the Yam team that only 4 months earlier had lost the league on goal average by the smallest ever margin! :greengrin

How could we ever forget? :tee hee:

What a sad day it was when he left for St Johnstone, I nearly cried when I heard the news.

:agree: If only we had someone like Jimmy in the team today. The thing is he was so good he would be playing at a higher level.

jockspanner
17-09-2016, 07:19 PM
How could we ever forget? :tee hee:

:agree: If only we had someone like Jimmy in the team today. The thing is he was so good he would be playing at a higher level.
Happy birthday Jimmy, saw you in the queue at lidls in Musselburgh the other day still looked you could do a job for us, the best partnership ever at Easter Road alongside Alan Gordon,have a nice time,you deserve it.:flag:

LoaningCrHibbie
17-09-2016, 07:36 PM
My favourite Tornado as well, "Happy 70th" Jimmy and thanks for the memories!

GTMRossaK3
17-09-2016, 08:31 PM
Hi Jimmy
Consider myself very fortunate to have had the pleasure of watching you play many times. You brought a lot of excitement, pleasure and happiness to us all. Have a great day - you deserve it on behalf of all of us Hibees.
Take care.

MGmick
17-09-2016, 09:10 PM
Happy Birthday Jimmy, a hero in a team of heroes. Your goal in the 72 LC final is one of my all time favourites. Keep well.

--------
17-09-2016, 09:58 PM
Many happy returns, Seamus. A real champion.

:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

brog
18-09-2016, 05:10 PM
Just thought I'd bump to try to get to 70 as it's still Jimmy's birthday for another 6 hours!

Jonnyboy
18-09-2016, 06:58 PM

Happy 70th Jimmy.

This 100%

Jimmy was a great player for Hibs and an integral part of the Tornadoes. Happy Birthday, Rourkey

FranckSuzy
18-09-2016, 08:55 PM
Happy :7: :0: Birthday, Jimmy :not worth:flag:

cmcd
18-09-2016, 09:22 PM
Great player Happy Hibby Birthday Jimmy

Forza Fred
19-09-2016, 09:36 AM
Spoke to Jimmy early on his birthday, and had a laugh about his visit out here.

If you bumpinto him in :wink: the future..ask him where you can find a "Pen Necked Shirt"

brog
19-09-2016, 11:34 AM
Spoke to Jimmy early on his birthday, and had a laugh about his visit out here.

If you bumpinto him in :wink: the future..ask him where you can find a "Pen Necked Shirt"

I just spoke to him Freddy, he's currently in Ainster for the day! He got a cake with GGTTH on it & highlight of his 70th birthday was watching highlights of our 4-4 draw in the Nou Camp! Joe Baker was our hero & we could spend happy hours just talking about Joe!
A wee Jimmy story just to round things off. In about early 1973 Jimmy complained to Turnbull about not seeing enough of the ball during games. Jimmy said, " Boss, I keep making these runs but Pat passes to Micky, Micky to Onion then back to Pat again. Meanwhile I've made about 3 different runs"! Ned says, " how many goals have you scored so far"? Jimmy replies, " about 26 boss ", Turnbull, " just keep making those f*****g runs Son! " :greengrin

snooky
19-09-2016, 04:12 PM
I just spoke to him Freddy, he's currently in Ainster for the day! He got a cake with GGTTH on it & highlight of his 70th birthday was watching highlights of our 4-4 draw in the Nou Camp! Joe Baker was our hero & we could spend happy hours just talking about Joe!
A wee Jimmy story just to round things off. In about early 1973 Jimmy complained to Turnbull about not seeing enough of the ball during games. Jimmy said, " Boss, I keep making these runs but Pat passes to Micky, Micky to Onion then back to Pat again. Meanwhile I've made about 3 different runs"! Ned says, " how many goals have you scored so far"? Jimmy replies, " about 26 boss ", Turnbull, " just keep making those f*****g runs Son! " :greengrin
One of Jimmy's great assets - his runs off the ball.